BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-08-09 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL

I feel like a damned chatty Cathy over here, so I apologize in advance but I have another question. It's abut shoes. Shoooooooes! 

I run in a minimalist-ish shoe. I have worn them for 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons. I haven't had any issues. Should I plan on wearing these for the full marathon or should I start experimenting with more supportive shoes? I'd rather not shell out a bunch of money trying to fix something that isn't broken but I also have never run a marathon before and don't want to screw it up. Let me know your thoughts! 

2011-08-09 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3636516

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Asalzwed - 2011-08-09 2:02 PM

I feel like a damned chatty Cathy over here, so I apologize in advance but I have another question. It's abut shoes. Shoooooooes! 

I run in a minimalist-ish shoe. I have worn them for 5Ks, 10Ks and half marathons. I haven't had any issues. Should I plan on wearing these for the full marathon or should I start experimenting with more supportive shoes? I'd rather not shell out a bunch of money trying to fix something that isn't broken but I also have never run a marathon before and don't want to screw it up. Let me know your thoughts! 

Keep chatting, Cathy! I love it and your questions.

Here's my take -- you'll be ramping up mileage while training for your marathon and your shoes will "speak" to you as you increase mileage. You may find your back or legs or hip (insert body part here) hurting on longer runs and you might find it's because you don't have more supportive shoes.....or not. You may be fine with what you have. I'm a definite believer in if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think your body will let you know. For example, I know it's time to replace my shoes when my low back hurts after longish runs (more than 8 or 9 miles).  I've slowly gone from more built up asics (kayano) to addidas and now I'm running in KSwiss on shorter runs, too. Sorry if that's TMI. Just looking out for my sister Manatee.
2011-08-09 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3633694

User image

Master
Vista, CA
TriAya - 2011-08-08 7:24 AM

On sports nutrition, a post in Triathlon Talk from BT's own Coach Shane McLeod, who, by the way, works with the Canadian national tri team. I hope the links copy over.

For anyone looking to do a little reading, Dugas and Tucker have a few great blog posts about this:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/01/featured-series-on-science-...

I would recommend everything on their site but the Exercise and Hydration posts are most germane to this discussion.

Also, if anyone is looking to pick up a great read, their book is very well done:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1605298611/ref=as_li_tf_il?ie=UTF8...

Shane

Thanks for the sports science blog -- love it!!
2011-08-10 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3636553

User image

Seattle
lmscozz - 2011-08-09 4:21 PM

Here's my take -- you'll be ramping up mileage while training for your marathon and your shoes will "speak" to you as you increase mileage. You may find your back or legs or hip (insert body part here) hurting on longer runs and you might find it's because you don't have more supportive shoes.....or not. You may be fine with what you have. I'm a definite believer in if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think your body will let you know. For example, I know it's time to replace my shoes when my low back hurts after longish runs (more than 8 or 9 miles).  I've slowly gone from more built up asics (kayano) to addidas and now I'm running in KSwiss on shorter runs, too. Sorry if that's TMI. Just looking out for my sister Manatee.

Great! That is what I thought but sometimes I second guess myself. It's nice to have some backup! Smile

Oh and not TMI, I love knowing the details. I run in North Face Single Tracks on the trails, my Nike Free XTs for short runs, Brooks Infinite 2 for longer runs and my Brooks T7 Racers for racing. (Seattle Represent!!!!) That's a whole lotta shoes! lol I can't not think of this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXaBJ96X8Y4

2011-08-10 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3637920

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Asalzwed - 2011-08-10 12:23 PM

Great! That is what I thought but sometimes I second guess myself. It's nice to have some backup! Smile

Oh and not TMI, I love knowing the details. I run in North Face Single Tracks on the trails, my Nike Free XTs for short runs, Brooks Infinite 2 for longer runs and my Brooks T7 Racers for racing. (Seattle Represent!!!!) That's a whole lotta shoes! lol I can't not think of this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXaBJ96X8Y4

Shoes - Jan thinks I might have more than she does.  Training and racing shoes for the bike, plus mountain shoes, couple pair of hiking boots - low and high as well as trail running, 5 or so casual tennies, and way too many variations of dress shoes.  Oh yea - black, cordovan, ox blood, wingtips, itialian styling...  I spent an hour in Designer Shoe Warehouse last weekend while Jan shopped and only had to spend 10 minutes playing on my i-phone. 

Almost forgot - Brooks Adrenaline 10 (close to retirement) and 11's (2 pair of the 11 - one pair new in break-in, other in use) for training, and K-Swiss K-Ruus for racing short races and form training.  I wanted Brooks T7 but it was too narrow for my foot (did not come in a wider size).

2011-08-11 10:25 AM

User image

Melon Presser

ADRIENNE is racing this weekend! Gooood luck and have a blast!

Anyone else?

2011-08-11 11:42 AM

User image

Seattle

Yeeeah! Racing in the Danskin Sprint this weekend! I am not really tapering for it and I would say I am a little under trained for the swim but it should be fun! I know I can swim the half mile. I just don't know if I can RACE it. Especially with the hordes of people the Danskin seems to bring out. It may be a bit of rat race. I think my strategy is going to just try to stay relaxed and calm for the swim and take my time and then get aggressive for the bike and run. 

I think I need to practice transitions tonight. It's been a while since my last tri...

Good luck to anyone else racing this weekend!

2011-08-11 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

Good luck Adrienne!!

I'm heading to Steelhead on Saturday. Hope the calf behaves and I make my manatee sisters and brothers proud Smile 

(I also hope not to be DFL)

2011-08-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3639414

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Good  Luck Ladies!! Have a great time...and enjoy the experience. No injuries, right?

Looking forward to hearing all about it.
2011-08-11 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3639414

User image

Melon Presser
trainforacure - 2011-08-12 1:50 AM

Good luck Adrienne!!

I'm heading to Steelhead on Saturday. Hope the calf behaves and I make my manatee sisters and brothers proud Smile 

That's right!

GOOOOOO 'CHRISSIE'

You may not be in ideal form, but both physically and mentally you are in far better shape than you were last year. Relax and have fun!

2011-08-11 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3638509

User image

Seattle
mackjenn - 2011-08-10 8:26 PM
Asalzwed - 2011-08-10 12:23 PM

Shoes - Jan thinks I might have more than she does.  Training and racing shoes for the bike, plus mountain shoes, couple pair of hiking boots - low and high as well as trail running, 5 or so casual tennies, and way too many variations of dress shoes.  Oh yea - black, cordovan, ox blood, wingtips, itialian styling...  I spent an hour in Designer Shoe Warehouse last weekend while Jan shopped and only had to spend 10 minutes playing on my i-phone. 

Almost forgot - Brooks Adrenaline 10 (close to retirement) and 11's (2 pair of the 11 - one pair new in break-in, other in use) for training, and K-Swiss K-Ruus for racing short races and form training.  I wanted Brooks T7 but it was too narrow for my foot (did not come in a wider size).

I think it takes a real man to admit this kind of shoe love Sealed

I love my T7s but am having a hell of a time finding bungee/speed laces that fit the tiny lace holes. I suck at tying my shoes post swimming when I can't feel my hands. 

2011-08-11 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3639490

User image

Veteran
TriAya - 2011-08-11 1:19 PM
trainforacure - 2011-08-12 1:50 AM

Good luck Adrienne!!

That's right!

GOOOOOO 'CHRISSIE'

You may not be in ideal form, but both physically and mentally you are in far better shape than you were last year. Relax and have fun!

THANK YOU!!! I will focus on the Beans and the Juice during the run/walk to crack myself up! LOL

2011-08-11 10:18 PM

Ladies good luck with your races this weekend. Go get 'em manatees. Cool

I'm cracking up at Jon's list of shoes. Laughing

Just remember when you start laughing at the beans - make sure it's between breaths on the swim. You will be fabulous.Laughing

On another note. I'm still trying to figure out how to add pictures to my race report, apparently I'm having a major brain cramp. I figured out how to write the report but now How do I add the pics. Please help me fellow Manatees. I know someone out there can do this. CoolEmbarassed

2011-08-12 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran

Have fun Adrienne and Carol on your races this weekend!!!  That's a 1/2 at steelehead right?  Good luck and here's to staying injury free! Can't wait to hear how you both do.

I am off very shortly to Riding Mountain in Manitoba for my last race of the season!  . It will be a sprint as my achilles wont let me run much farther than 5k anymore... but I CAN run a bit and I'm looking forward to it! Several members of our tri team are going so it should be a fun weekend.  wooohoo!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

2011-08-12 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Thank you! Yes, SH.  I'm going with the goal torelinquish my DFL Title.  LOL!!!!

Have a good race too!

Edited by trainforacure 2011-08-12 7:17 PM
2011-08-15 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3641587

User image

Melon Presser

Hey C--heard you got shafted 1.2 of the 70.3--I hope you made out okay on the rest of it--was thinking of you this weekend!

trainforacure - 2011-08-13 9:16 AM

Thank you! Yes, SH.  I'm going with the goal torelinquish my DFL Title.  LOL!!!!

Have a good race too!

2011-08-15 12:32 PM

User image

Seattle

How was everyone's weekend????

I had a lot of fun at the Danskin Sprint. I could tell my body was a little tired from the increase in running miles lately but  it was probably the most fun I have had racing so far. Here is my race report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=264915

One of my friends forgot her swim stuff so she just went in her bra and underwear. Haha! 

2011-08-15 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3634135

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Asalzwed - 2011-08-08 11:15 AM
mackjenn - 2011-08-07 10:47 PM

Ok, the long version: I was irresponsible. I mean, more than usual. I only had one ratchet strap to mount my stand-up paddle board (like 12' long and quite heavey) to my roof rack AND I wrapped it around my seemingly sturdy bike rack. Well, at 60 MPH on the freeway my strap was far from secure and my bike rack less than sturdy. The board came unstrapped, flew up in the air then came back down HARD onto my roof and impaled itself on my cross bar. Literally the bar went THROUGH the board. I probably could have driven the 200 miles home with the board impaled. So, I came out of the weekend minus one bicycle rack and minus one stand-up paddle board.  The good news is, I didn't kill anyone. 

I must say, I am pretty jealous of where you live. I went to visit my parents in Mammoth and did a little training at altitude. HOLY HELL! I felt like such a wuss. 

Glad to hear your work stress will be subsiding to make room for some "playouts." 

Tough go on the board as well as the rack - sucks to loose two things in one incident, but like you said - nobody hurt. 

My next olympic is the Tenderfoot Tri in Salida Colorado and they just posed the course profile.  I realized why I was hurting so much last year - although the gain itself is not significant at 500' in about 5 mile, the average altitude is ~7300 feet.  I need to start traveling more to sea level events.

Ran 5k on Saturday and was quite happy.  Ran through the back pain, knee pain, and ankle pain (not sure where that came from) during the first mile or so.  They all eventually quieted down and I managed to finish around 26 minutes with just my lungs sreaming to "bring it on!".  Been hobbling too long with just swim and bike - nice to run again.

Warrior dash this weekend!!!  RRAAAAAAAAAYell  Running with Jan and her son so going to take it slow and easy to have some fun with them.  Another 5 k, but this one is at 9700 feet and part of it runs UP one of the ski slopes.

2011-08-15 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3644258

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Asalzwed - 2011-08-15 11:32 AM

I had a lot of fun at the Danskin Sprint. I could tell my body was a little tired from the increase in running miles lately but  it was probably the most fun I have had racing so far. Here is my race report:

One of my friends forgot her swim stuff so she just went in her bra and underwear. Haha! 

Great race!  Not sure what to tell you on the laces for the shoes - I use yanks in all mine and they work fine.  Even laced up my KSwiss with them last night with no issues (holes were a little tight, but they fit).  You are killing it on the run - wish I could run like that even without the bike and swim just before.

Hopefully the bra and underwear were not white.

2011-08-15 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3644424

User image

Seattle
mackjenn - 2011-08-15 2:20 PM

Ok, the long version: I was irresponsible. I mean, more than usual. I only had one ratchet strap to mount my stand-up paddle board (like 12' long and quite heavey) to my roof rack AND I wrapped it around my seemingly sturdy bike rack. Well, at 60 MPH on the freeway my strap was far from secure and my bike rack less than sturdy. The board came unstrapped, flew up in the air then came back down HARD onto my roof and impaled itself on my cross bar. Literally the bar went THROUGH the board. I probably could have driven the 200 miles home with the board impaled. So, I came out of the weekend minus one bicycle rack and minus one stand-up paddle board.  The good news is, I didn't kill anyone. 

I must say, I am pretty jealous of where you live. I went to visit my parents in Mammoth and did a little training at altitude. HOLY HELL! I felt like such a wuss. 

Glad to hear your work stress will be subsiding to make room for some "playouts." 

Tough go on the board as well as the rack - sucks to loose two things in one incident, but like you said - nobody hurt. 

My next olympic is the Tenderfoot Tri in Salida Colorado and they just posed the course profile.  I realized why I was hurting so much last year - although the gain itself is not significant at 500' in about 5 mile, the average altitude is ~7300 feet.  I need to start traveling more to sea level events.

Ran 5k on Saturday and was quite happy.  Ran through the back pain, knee pain, and ankle pain (not sure where that came from) during the first mile or so.  They all eventually quieted down and I managed to finish around 26 minutes with just my lungs sreaming to "bring it on!".  Been hobbling too long with just swim and bike - nice to run again.

Warrior dash this weekend!!!  RRAAAAAAAAAYell  Running with Jan and her son so going to take it slow and easy to have some fun with them.  Another 5 k, but this one is at 9700 feet and part of it runs UP one of the ski slopes.

Ahhhh so glad to hear you are up and running again! That is great! Not just a 5K either, the Warrior Dash! 9700 feed is bad @$$! I am pretty sure here in WA our ski slopes don't even go up to 9,700. The one I frequent tops out around 7,000!

Here is a picture of my watch after the warrior dash I did last year. Dirty! 

watch.JPG

2011-08-15 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3643898

User image

Veteran
TriAya - 2011-08-15 10:37 AM

Hey C--heard you got shafted 1.2 of the 70.3--I hope you made out okay on the rest of it--was thinking of you this weekend!

Have a good race too!

Yes, no swim.  That lake looked like a tropical ocean! The waves were HUGE!! I never knew a lake could behave that way. The wind was horrible the entire day.  Hardest (and fastest for me) 56 miles I've ever done.   The comments from the race organizers, 'Oh! don't worry; you'll get tailwinds on the way back' were all cheap propaganda. It was crosswinds all the way.

And yes! I finished it and YES!!! THIS MANATEE WAS NOT DFL!! LOL   I wanted to wait to get the official results email to post.  So, I guess now I'm a (uber slow) duathlete? LOL  Relative to my (sucky) times last year, I was (less suckier) faster this year; so, technically I PRed the splits. Laughing  But, I still had to walk most of it so my time sucked by dua standards.  But I kind of knew I was going in with a temperamental calf and hip issues.  And yes, the calf acted up and the hip/back pain began on the bike.  I realized that I can't continue doing endurance events until the surgery is done and until I don't experience all this additional pain.  THANK YOU all for all the support over the last months.  Truly great to be a manatee! SmileSmileSmile

I won't have time to write the report up until the weekend.  (I'll confess to 2 very, very stupid mistakes that affected the run/walk then LOL)

I plan to spend this week chilin', catching up at home and work stuff and the PT. 

2011-08-15 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3644258

User image

Veteran
Asalzwed - 2011-08-15 1:32 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!! those are smokin' fast times!  Smile I can't believe they allowed her to go forward LOL.

2011-08-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3644424

User image

Veteran
mackjenn - 2011-08-15 3:20 PM

Good luck in your race!! You're very brave (or manatee crazy?) for doing all these races with so many hills!

2011-08-15 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3644857

User image

Seattle
trainforacure - 2011-08-15 6:08 PM
TriAya - 2011-08-15 10:37 AM

Have a good race too!

Yes, no swim.  That lake looked like a tropical ocean! The waves were HUGE!! I never knew a lake could behave that way. The wind was horrible the entire day.  Hardest (and fastest for me) 56 miles I've ever done.   The comments from the race organizers, 'Oh! don't worry; you'll get tailwinds on the way back' were all cheap propaganda. It was crosswinds all the way.

And yes! I finished it and YES!!! THIS MANATEE WAS NOT DFL!! LOL   I wanted to wait to get the official results email to post.  So, I guess now I'm a (uber slow) duathlete? LOL  Relative to my (sucky) times last year, I was (less suckier) faster this year; so, technically I PRed the splits. Laughing  But, I still had to walk most of it so my time sucked by dua standards.  But I kind of knew I was going in with a temperamental calf and hip issues.  And yes, the calf acted up and the hip/back pain began on the bike.  I realized that I can't continue doing endurance events until the surgery is done and until I don't experience all this additional pain.  THANK YOU all for all the support over the last months.  Truly great to be a manatee! SmileSmileSmile

I won't have time to write the report up until the weekend.  (I'll confess to 2 very, very stupid mistakes that affected the run/walk then LOL)

I plan to spend this week chilin', catching up at home and work stuff and the PT. 

Oh, wow! So, were you happy they cut the swim? Given the circumstances I can definitely see why but...hmmmm it seems like it would be a bit of a blow, mentally. I mean, you work so hard to prepare for a TRIathlon. On the other hand, as a not-so-great-swimmer I think I'd be secretly pleased Sealed

2011-08-15 10:56 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
WOW!! Our Manatee mojo was in full force this weekend -- CONGRATS to our Manatee Sisters who rocked the tris!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43