Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-06-24 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3562376

User image

Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
evillarroel - 2011-06-22 1:48 PM

I couldn't care less about what my log says about percentage spent below or above my MAF, as long as I get value out of my workout and steady improvement, I'm a happy camper. 

About execution, it seems you're going too hard when you're running and then walk to get the HR down, maybe you should try to jog even slower and maintain the rythm without having to walk that much. You're keeping the HR where it has to be though, and that's what matters the most.

Although I didn't think it was humanly possible to go slower and still call it a jog, this morning I really concentrated on an even pace that held my HR below the max and I felt good about the results.  The amount of time in anerobic went down to 20% from 30%.  I'm not focusing on that exclusively, but I need some objective measure of, as you say, the value of the workout.  After all, I thought I was getting value out of my workouts before.

Keeping the pace more consistent actually yielded a faster time than previous recent runs, if I recall (have to go back and check the results).  That's either because the walking really dragged the average down more than expected, or I might actually be showing some improvement.  Probably the former.

Folks seem to be quiet lately.  How's everyone else doing?

Mike

2011-06-24 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master

Mike -

Glad to hear things are working well for you.  I'm having the first good week I've had in a while.  I am running mostly by pace at the moment and focusing on my easy pace.  I plan to do this until the end of July and run 6 days a week.  In a week or so I want to begin layering in cycling and swimming on top of that.  I may have an opportunity soon to swim on a consistent basis in the middle of the day so that will allow some great flexibility in my scheduling as it pertains to getting more workouts in.  I am very excited about that.

I don't have any events planned in the next couple of months but for the first time I am really comfortable with that.  I think I really need to spend time on building a base in all of my disciplines.  My first race will be in mid-october (HM) and then November (10-k).  If I can get buy-in from my wife I may try my first marathon this december - the rock-n-roll Las Vegas marathon.  It will be a night marathon on the strip in Las Vegas.  Sounds like a blast!  In September I am committed to pacing my good friend on his 3rd lap of 3 in a 50 mile race.  I am expecting that to be a blast.  Other than that - I am all systems go.

2011-06-24 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3565739

User image

Regular
mikjamlec - 2011-06-24 12:18 PM

Folks seem to be quiet lately.  How's everyone else doing?

Beginning stages of aerobic training doesn't give a whole lot to talk. Its boring and somtimes disappointing but keeping faith here.

2011-06-24 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3564941

User image

Maple Grove, MN
evillarroel - 2011-06-23 8:24 PM

Hey Chris! isn't this close to your place? I wouldn't miss watching this race for nothing!!!

http://www.star-events.cc/site/en/trstmnnews

Maple Grove is my back yard.  It is also my first tri from last year (a sprint).  This year they are doing a sprint, an olympic, and this new European 1k swim, 100k bike, 10k run thing with the big purse.   I will watch some of this event, after I finish the sprint.  

2011-06-24 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Yep, it's pretty quiet here... Battling some lower back issues that make running very hard, but went for a relaxed 35k ride this morning on my MTB to the lighthouse.

Looking back towards Surfers Paradise:

Hope you guys have a great weekend!!!!

2011-06-25 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their training!  BTW MarkZ, great pic from your ride!

Ernesto,

Like many here, I have been doing some of my run/bike trainings at my target MAF and have actually been able to go a little faster than expected while keeping my HR in check (so it seems to be working Wink).  Obviously, you feel like you can go on for a long time at that rate.  I have also increased my mileage/time on the bike as I get closer to my 1/2 IM date (only 6 weeks away).  I'm really worried about being as well prepared as possible for my 1/2 IM, so any advice in terms of prep work/other will be appreciated.

Cheers! 

2011-06-25 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3567069

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-06-25 4:16 PM

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their training!  BTW MarkZ, great pic from your ride!

Ernesto,

Like many here, I have been doing some of my run/bike trainings at my target MAF and have actually been able to go a little faster than expected while keeping my HR in check (so it seems to be working Wink).  Obviously, you feel like you can go on for a long time at that rate.  I have also increased my mileage/time on the bike as I get closer to my 1/2 IM date (only 6 weeks away).  I'm really worried about being as well prepared as possible for my 1/2 IM, so any advice in terms of prep work/other will be appreciated.

Cheers! 

Funny, I just spent quite a while looking at your log. Your ride today was superb in every possible way. The session at the velodrome was fantastic too, your runs are awesome...

Do you ever have a bad day? Tongue out

You seem to be right on track for an awesome experience in your first half. As it approaches we'll talk race strategy and pacing, so crucial for anything longer than Olympics...

I do believe though that you should put shorter runs at higher intensity during the week. A mistake I made when I first started doing halves was that I had to build this huge mileage base, not really that necessary. You are more than ready to jump in the water for a half TODAY, however your race can be that much better if you spice up your weekdays...

Did you see the list of speed workouts I posted here? 

2011-06-25 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3567093

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-06-25 3:35 PM
sirgab - 2011-06-25 4:16 PM

Ernesto,

Cheers! 

Funny, I just spent quite a while looking at your log. Your ride today was superb in every possible way. The session at the velodrome was fantastic too, your runs are awesome...

Do you ever have a bad day? Tongue out

You seem to be right on track for an awesome experience in your first half. As it approaches we'll talk race strategy and pacing, so crucial for anything longer than Olympics...

I do believe though that you should put shorter runs at higher intensity during the week. A mistake I made when I first started doing halves was that I had to build this huge mileage base, not really that necessary. You are more than ready to jump in the water for a half TODAY, however your race can be that much better if you spice up your weekdays...

Did you see the list of speed workouts I posted here? 

Ernesto,

Thanks for analyzing my logs and your kind words of encouragement, they mean a lot and also help validate we are moving in the right direction (and yes I do have a fair amount of not so good days)!

Agree with the need for shorter, higher intensity runs during the week and I did see the speed workouts you posted sometime back, so I will implement them next week.

Separately, how is your training going and what are your immediate goals now?  Also, I meant to ask you a while ago if your Garmin 305 battery lasted throughout your full IM? (over 10 hours from the bike to the end of the run)

Thanks!

2011-06-25 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hello all,

Not sure if you saw this (I had to google it because I could not find it on the site), but BT is promoting a 30% discount on its paid memberships through June 30 by using the code "Summer2011Sale"   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2031   

2011-06-25 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3567374

User image

Maple Grove, MN
sirgab - 2011-06-25 9:59 PM

Hello all,

Not sure if you saw this (I had to google it because I could not find it on the site), but BT is promoting a 30% discount on its paid memberships through June 30 by using the code "Summer2011Sale"   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2031   

I'm not a paid member, but am happy to do so if whatever comes with a paid membership is worth it.  What makes it worth it?

Edited by older2533 2011-06-25 10:05 PM
2011-06-25 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3567299

User image

Master
Dallas

Ernesto,

Thanks for analyzing my logs and your kind words of encouragement, they mean a lot and also help validate we are moving in the right direction (and yes I do have a fair amount of not so good days)!

Agree with the need for shorter, higher intensity runs during the week and I did see the speed workouts you posted sometime back, so I will implement them next week.

Separately, how is your training going and what are your immediate goals now?  Also, I meant to ask you a while ago if your Garmin 305 battery lasted throughout your full IM? (over 10 hours from the bike to the end of the run)

Thanks!

Gabe,

My training is starting (this week) to look normal and feel normal. My immediate goals are just to switch my body from slow and steady to fast and short. This is done obviously decreasing volume and increasing intensity.

No Ironman in sight yet in the immediate future, maybe Florida or Cozumel late 2012 if I can get the spousal credits. If not it will be a tough IM course in 2013 (France seems to be the winner of the polls).

Yes, the Garmin incredibly lasted for all of the race, including the swim which I didn't post because the stop button got pressed by mistake, but the GPS stayed on.

2011-06-25 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3567380

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-06-25 10:04 PM
sirgab - 2011-06-25 9:59 PM

Hello all,

I'm not a paid member, but am happy to do so if whatever comes with a paid membership is worth it.  What makes it worth it?

Actually, the training plans they have are customizable and I used them for Ironman. You can move days around according to your needs and availability.

2011-06-25 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3567409

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-06-25 9:31 PM

Gabe,

My training is starting (this week) to look normal and feel normal. My immediate goals are just to switch my body from slow and steady to fast and short. This is done obviously decreasing volume and increasing intensity.

No Ironman in sight yet in the immediate future, maybe Florida or Cozumel late 2012 if I can get the spousal credits. If not it will be a tough IM course in 2013 (France seems to be the winner of the polls).

Yes, the Garmin incredibly lasted for all of the race, including the swim which I didn't post because the stop button got pressed by mistake, but the GPS stayed on.

Ernesto,

I'm shooting for IM Cozumel 2012 for my first IM, so it will be great if you decide to do that one as well.  I've heard great things about it from different friends (great course next to the beach and incredible fan support from all the locals) and know probably around 20 friends in Guatemala that are planning on doing it this year (many for the second consecutive time).

Chris,

I just began testing the bronze paid membership so I cannot tell you much about its benefits yet.  However, I chose to pay also as a way to give something back to the people supporting the BT site, since it's been extremely helpful for me at this early stage in my training. 

2011-06-26 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

Hey gang, Endurance Nation has on their website a free seminar under the free resources tab, and you get the dvd "four keys to long course racing" which is INCREDIBLY good for Ironman and half Ironman racing.

You don't have to put down credit card numbers or any of that, of course you'll get a sales pitch but EN is actually well worth it.

http://www.endurancenation.us/

2011-06-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3567669

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Hi Ernesto & Gang,

So, I'm officially a triathlete now. I completed the Bigfoot triathlon this morning in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I don't have an official time yet but I know it was under 2 hours. The overall clock read 1:56:30 as I finished. The 750m swim was actually the easiest part as the bike and the run were quite hilly. I averaged about 15.2 mph on the bike and about 11:40 miles in the run. Transitions were good except the swim to bike where my eyeglass lens decided to pop out and wouldn't go back in. I finished the race in my prescription goggles. Race report to come when I find out what actually happened.

2011-06-26 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3567839

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
baurryman - 2011-06-26 1:56 PM

Hi Ernesto & Gang,

So, I'm officially a triathlete now. I completed the Bigfoot triathlon this morning in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I don't have an official time yet but I know it was under 2 hours. The overall clock read 1:56:30 as I finished. The 750m swim was actually the easiest part as the bike and the run were quite hilly. I averaged about 15.2 mph on the bike and about 11:40 miles in the run. Transitions were good except the swim to bike where my eyeglass lens decided to pop out and wouldn't go back in. I finished the race in my prescription goggles. Race report to come when I find out what actually happened.

Barry, congratulations!!!  I'm sure you will remember this event for a long time. This is a milestone and hopefully will mark a beginning of a long relationship with this sport. Awesome!

Isn't Lake Geneva a beautiful place btw? Did you have a chance to look at some of the houses around it?

2011-06-26 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3567881

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
markz - 2011-06-26 3:05 PM
baurryman - 2011-06-26 1:56 PM

Hi Ernesto & Gang,

Barry, congratulations!!!  I'm sure you will remember this event for a long time. This is a milestone and hopefully will mark a beginning of a long relationship with this sport. Awesome!

Isn't Lake Geneva a beautiful place btw? Did you have a chance to look at some of the houses around it?

Thanks Mark. Lake Geneva is one of my favorite weekend getaways and I usually make it up here about 2-3 times per year. I love the houses and the downtown area.

2011-06-26 4:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

My time for the sprint was not as good as I thought. Official time 2:04:58. Much more bike work needed, especially on hills. Race report link below.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=258229

Edited by baurryman 2011-06-26 5:34 PM
2011-06-26 8:55 PM

User image

Regular

Congrats Barry! How does it feel to have done a tri? Share your experiences about the transition phases. I am pretty sure there is going to be a lot of mistakes there in my first tri. 

Ernesto, any swimming tips for beginners? Is the speed coming from pull or kick? I had session with a local coach for swim lesson (she has coached BT'ers for their OWS segment) and she suggested keeping kicks to minimum so as to conserve energy in the legs. 

Edited by ironbaby 2011-06-26 8:56 PM
2011-06-26 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3567980

User image

Master
Dallas
baurryman - 2011-06-26 4:49 PM

My time for the sprint was not as good as I thought. Official time 2:04:58. Much more bike work needed, especially on hills. Race report link below.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=258229

Barry,

Congratulations!! first tri is a party, now enjoy and buckle up because this is a lifetime sport.

2011-06-26 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3568265

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-06-26 8:55 PM

Congrats Barry! How does it feel to have done a tri? Share your experiences about the transition phases. I am pretty sure there is going to be a lot of mistakes there in my first tri. 

Ernesto, any swimming tips for beginners? Is the speed coming from pull or kick? I had session with a local coach for swim lesson (she has coached BT'ers for their OWS segment) and she suggested keeping kicks to minimum so as to conserve energy in the legs. 

True and not true, it depends. Kicking makes for about 15 to 30% of propulsion, if you tell a swimmer not to kick they will drown you, triathletes need to kick but you have to do it maybe with a little less cadence than a swimmer. They do a three beat kick and we should do a two beat flutter kick. If you don't kick at all your legs will partially sink causing a lot of drag, so it will hurt you big time.

Like I have said before many times: best way to get good in the water is... swimming. Don't neglect it, get some coaching at the beginning and put yards, yards, yards.

2011-06-26 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3568265

User image

Master
Dallas

True and not true, it depends. Kicking makes for about 15 to 30% of propulsion, if you tell a swimmer not to kick they will drown you, triathletes need to kick but you have to do it maybe with a little less cadence than a swimmer. They do a three beat kick and we should do a two beat flutter kick. If you don't kick at all your legs will partially sink causing a lot of drag, so it will hurt you big time.

Like I have said before many times: best way to get good in the water is... swimming. Don't neglect it, get some coaching at the beginning and put yards, yards, yards.

2011-06-26 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3568303

User image

Maple Grove, MN
evillarroel - 2011-06-26 9:32 PM

You can say that again.

2011-06-26 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: Update

Keep talking everyone.  I'm lurking while I'm moving to Austin and in PA for a wedding.

I have still been training, but I've had to modify the schedule a little.  Found a condo to buy and having Lasik next week.  That will keep me out of the water for 2 weeks, so not doing Disco guys.  Sorry.

Did intervals on a track this morning (65 degrees out, yay).  After the third one, I started to feel tenderness in my right hamstring muscle group, whichever of the three muscles in the middle.  So I bailed out of the intervals.  Currently icing and elevating and am a little stiff.  Plan not to do any more running until I get back home Thursday.  Will probably swim as soon as I can to help the recovery.  Any other suggestions anyone?

2011-06-26 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3567839

User image

Expert
Guatemala
baurryman - 2011-06-26 12:56 PM

Hi Ernesto & Gang,

Barry,

Congratulations on this great milestone and on becoming an official triathlete!  Watch out because it becomes addictive Wink

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84