in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by wenceslasz
Originally posted by miche033

Here's the race report.

Incidentally, I had to go coach my son's soccer team (six kids under 5) about 30 min after getting back from the race. Ugh I am so tired. And the house is a mess. But it was a great way to finish the season!

Now I really don't know what to do next. A friend wants me to do a half marathon with her in 7 weeks. I dunno...

I read your race report and commented there but I just wanted to comment on wetsuits. I love my wetsuit and I know I am about 10% faster in an OWS with my wetsuit. At my last Olympic I swam the 1500m at 2:08/100m. When I was coming out of the water I felt I could have comfortably swum further but I also felt I could swim faster. Now today, we swam a 300m TT in the pool and by the time I finished I was glad to stop and my time was 6:59 so 2:20/100m. So, I think swimming in a properly fitting wetsuit is faster and less fatiguing than pool swims (for me). I think the longer your swim is the more important/valuable a wetsuit is but for a sprint distance you have to weigh the wetsuit advantage against the time to get the swimsuit off. Having strippers in your event would help a lot.

Yeah, I think the proper fit is key. This one was too restrictive on my shoulders & arms. If I every get or rent another wetsuit, I will get a sleeveless. Or find one that's longer. (But trying on a bunch of wetsuits does not sound fun.)

2013-10-02 2:49 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Ok, group.

I've talked to Fresno_Joe, and I'm going to be substituting for him for right now in the Hashers & Mashers stats department (unless someone else wants to do it, of course )!

With the exception of a couple folks who just joined and may not be logging yet, I've only included people who have logged workouts in August or September. Even though we're all different, and straight comparisons can be "apples and oranges" at worst, many still find the stats motivating and get an extra boost during training to move up in some area. I don't know what the real demand is, since almost nobody has spoken up about this. If you are not on the list or want to be taken off the list, please send me an individual message to let me know.

Going forward, here's my plan: I'll post sometime mid-month and again at the end of the month. At the mid-month posting, if someone has logged nothing that month back through the two prior months, I'll drop them from the list. To be added back on, you'll need to start logging and send me a message to add you back on. For the "can't access" folks, I'll assume you want to keep it that way if I don't hear from you by mid-month. If I screw something up (entirely likely), just let me know. If you have any ideas for better presentation or grouping, I'm all ears.

So....... our overall Top Hasher & Masher for September is TRIal_of_miles. Thanks for making us look so bad, man!!! Seriously, though, that's some great work. Our Road Warrior is ransick, or should I say, "Forest Gump". Run, ransick, run! Way to go, 100-mile man! To the rest of us: We rock! Let's keep at it and catch that rabbit!

BTusername Swim (yd) Bike (mi) Run (mi) Total Time (hrs)
TRIal_of_miles 39371.3 512.5 54.9 51.7
mbehr1983 15411.8 316.8 66.2 36.1
sarah73 11540.4 294.1 66.8 32.3
strykergt 12156.3 230.8 60.0 30.3
jillebean 1203.0 211.9 50.3 23.8
PsyTri 14750.0 133.8 37.6 19.7
miche033 6132.2 110.4 35.1 16.8
ransick 0.0 0.0 107.3 16.7
wenceslasz 15201.2 86.7 19.1 16.0
brrit 3433.3 16.8 40.4 14.3
SuperClydesdale 0.0 171.2 0.0 11.4
cayrip 0.0 0.0 57.7 9.2
dannywilliams83 0.0 78.2 28.8 8.6
ybeal 551.5 12.8 30.1 8.6
natbosse 3718.3 0.0 4.9 2.9
Fresno_Joe 2000.0 0.0 5.5 1.9
lesandtj 0.0 15.6 0.0 0.8
iLOVEwaffles 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
knighton 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
tryin2tri 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
tri rick tri 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
oriolepwr can't access
sammeg can't access
sandyfeet can't access
TomsTri-ing can't access

Regards,

Gary
2013-10-02 2:50 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

OK, I'll have to figure out how to better format the table. Total newbie mistake!
2013-10-02 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Here I am on the 3rd place podium from last weekend. One kid in arms, other kid at the bottom of the 2nd place podium. SurprisedLaughing
2013-10-02 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri OK, I'll have to figure out how to better format the table. Total newbie mistake!

Thanks for doing this!

2013-10-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by PsyTri OK, I'll have to figure out how to better format the table. Total newbie mistake!

Thanks for doing this!

X2 Gary. Really good of you to take over from Joe. Hopefully, as he gets into the "off-season" he'll come back and keep in touch.

Rebecca - really nice to see your podium moment and your loyal entourage. Pretty neat picture.

2013-10-02 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Everyone - What kind of goggles are you wearing for your swimming? And, how long do you usually get from a new pair before retiring them.

I usually like to have two pairs of goggles on the go at any given time. A clear pair for pool swimming and a smokey/dark pair for swimming in bright sunshine. Just lately I've been having a real problem getting good fitting goggles and they seem to be lasting literally days rather than months. In the last week I've gone through about 6# reasonably new pairs of goggles just trying to get one pair to fit.

I even went and bought a new pair yesterday (after opening the package in the store and suctioning it to my face which seemed a good fit) but today in the pool they leaked steadily and wouldn't stay tight. I've been buying Aquasphere and Speedo. I've bought expensive ones and cheap ones.

Thanks.
2013-10-02 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Thanks for doing this!

X2 Gary. Really good of you to take over from Joe. Hopefully, as he gets into the "off-season" he'll come back and keep in touch. Rebecca - really nice to see your podium moment and your loyal entourage. Pretty neat picture.
Indeed, thanks a ton Gary, really appreciate it.  I'm really sorry I've been such a flake here everyone.  Don't want to be a drag, so won't get into it, but have been really busy and will continue to be busy.  Some good, some less than good.  Hoping to get back into things sooner rather than later.  Due to finances finding it necessary to quit my Masters group for a while, hopefully that doesn't last long.  But hoping to get back into solid biking and running soon.  I've only worked out a small handful of times since my race, and I'm up about 8 pounds.  >:0

2013-10-02 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz Everyone - What kind of goggles are you wearing for your swimming? And, how long do you usually get from a new pair before retiring them. I usually like to have two pairs of goggles on the go at any given time. A clear pair for pool swimming and a smokey/dark pair for swimming in bright sunshine. Just lately I've been having a real problem getting good fitting goggles and they seem to be lasting literally days rather than months. In the last week I've gone through about 6# reasonably new pairs of goggles just trying to get one pair to fit. I even went and bought a new pair yesterday (after opening the package in the store and suctioning it to my face which seemed a good fit) but today in the pool they leaked steadily and wouldn't stay tight. I've been buying Aquasphere and Speedo. I've bought expensive ones and cheap ones. Thanks.
My favorite by far are the Aqua Sphere Kayenne: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00208GMRA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_... wore them during my race and then they were stored in my wetsuit sleeves when I took my wetsuit off and I left them in there for too long and they stuck in a bad position so I had to get a new pair.  But I got them at the beginning of this year and would still be using them today if they hadn't warped because of my own stupidity.

But I do find that a new pair doesn't fog and it takes a few months before they start to fog.  And I can't use the de-fog stuff because it always burns my eyes.

2013-10-03 8:53 AM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Thanks for doing this!

X2 Gary. Really good of you to take over from Joe. Hopefully, as he gets into the "off-season" he'll come back and keep in touch. Rebecca - really nice to see your podium moment and your loyal entourage. Pretty neat picture.
Indeed, thanks a ton Gary, really appreciate it.  I'm really sorry I've been such a flake here everyone.  Don't want to be a drag, so won't get into it, but have been really busy and will continue to be busy.  Some good, some less than good.  Hoping to get back into things sooner rather than later.  Due to finances finding it necessary to quit my Masters group for a while, hopefully that doesn't last long.  But hoping to get back into solid biking and running soon.  I've only worked out a small handful of times since my race, and I'm up about 8 pounds.  >:0

Joe: No explanation needed. Good luck getting everything in order. Look forward to hearing back on your next challenge, whenever that may be.

All: Sorry again for the flaky formatting. Still trying to work it out. For now, I'm attaching an Excel spreadsheet. Should be much easier to read.

Enjoy.

Attachments
----------------
HMSep2013Tot.xls (14KB - 13 downloads)
2013-10-03 8:57 AM

User image

Awesome job with the stats man! Don't worry though, it is the off season for me now so you guys should be able to show me up this month

2013-10-03 1:30 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles

Awesome job with the stats man! Don't worry though, it is the off season for me now so you guys should be able to show me up this month

What? You're not going to join the Polar Bear triathlon club?
2013-10-03 4:01 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by wenceslasz Everyone - What kind of goggles are you wearing for your swimming? And, how long do you usually get from a new pair before retiring them. I usually like to have two pairs of goggles on the go at any given time. A clear pair for pool swimming and a smokey/dark pair for swimming in bright sunshine. Just lately I've been having a real problem getting good fitting goggles and they seem to be lasting literally days rather than months. In the last week I've gone through about 6# reasonably new pairs of goggles just trying to get one pair to fit. I even went and bought a new pair yesterday (after opening the package in the store and suctioning it to my face which seemed a good fit) but today in the pool they leaked steadily and wouldn't stay tight. I've been buying Aquasphere and Speedo. I've bought expensive ones and cheap ones. Thanks.
My favorite by far are the Aqua Sphere Kayenne: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00208GMRA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_... wore them during my race and then they were stored in my wetsuit sleeves when I took my wetsuit off and I left them in there for too long and they stuck in a bad position so I had to get a new pair.  But I got them at the beginning of this year and would still be using them today if they hadn't warped because of my own stupidity.

But I do find that a new pair doesn't fog and it takes a few months before they start to fog.  And I can't use the de-fog stuff because it always burns my eyes.

Do NOT get the Tyr Special Ops goggles. I've had 2 pair split right in half on the nose piece, and I rinse and safely store the things. A friend recommended the Aqua Sphere Kaimans, which look to be less of a mask and more of a goggle than the Kayenne. Going to give them a try. Good luck.
2013-10-03 6:23 PM

User image

Well I plan on racing in January in Florida but until then unless it is a pool swim I don't think that I will be partaking in any OWS tris haha
2013-10-04 8:28 AM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Rode to work today, and .... got a flat! Glass all over the road. Must have picked up a shard.
Had inflater but no tube. Had put off exchanging the last tube, which was the wrong size!
Ran my bike about 3/4 of a mile to nearest bike shop, where owner was in. He sold me a tube even though store was not open yet. Go JIM'S BIKES!
It's all for a reason. Now I know how NOT to change a flat! I'm all prepared for doing it on race day!
2013-10-04 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri Rode to work today, and .... got a flat! Glass all over the road. Must have picked up a shard. Had inflater but no tube. Had put off exchanging the last tube, which was the wrong size! Ran my bike about 3/4 of a mile to nearest bike shop, where owner was in. He sold me a tube even though store was not open yet. Go JIM'S BIKES! It's all for a reason. Now I know how NOT to change a flat! I'm all prepared for doing it on race day!

Ah a good experience to have. Watch out, flats come in three's.Wink

2013-10-04 9:34 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Everyone - What kind of goggles are you wearing for your swimming? And, how long do you usually get from a new pair before retiring them.

I usually like to have two pairs of goggles on the go at any given time. A clear pair for pool swimming and a smokey/dark pair for swimming in bright sunshine. Just lately I've been having a real problem getting good fitting goggles and they seem to be lasting literally days rather than months. In the last week I've gone through about 6# reasonably new pairs of goggles just trying to get one pair to fit.

I even went and bought a new pair yesterday (after opening the package in the store and suctioning it to my face which seemed a good fit) but today in the pool they leaked steadily and wouldn't stay tight. I've been buying Aquasphere and Speedo. I've bought expensive ones and cheap ones.

Thanks.

I like Aquasphere Kaiman goggles. I tried a few different brands until I found what worked for me.
2013-10-05 12:20 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Thanks for the goggle suggestions. I'm not sure I've ever seen any Tyr brand goggles not that I'd want any but Aquasphere are pretty common. I'll check them out again as soon as I can.

Today I had a "saddle fitting" which went better than I expected. The fitter is a retired Orthopedic surgeon so I was able to describe exactly what happened and he quickly solved the problem. He figured the saddle got moved somehow (I can't imagine how except maybe when I was powering up on a hill climb maybe I pushed it back(?)). He adjusted the saddle that came with the bike and my right shoe clip and now it feels pretty decent.

I'll take it out for a good test ride tomorrow or Sunday and see how it goes. And, if it works out then I saved a fair bit not having to buy a new saddle.
2013-10-05 12:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by PsyTri

Rode to work today, and .... got a flat! Glass all over the road. Must have picked up a shard.
Had inflater but no tube. Had put off exchanging the last tube, which was the wrong size!
Ran my bike about 3/4 of a mile to nearest bike shop, where owner was in. He sold me a tube even though store was not open yet. Go JIM'S BIKES!
It's all for a reason. Now I know how NOT to change a flat! I'm all prepared for doing it on race day!

That's a tough break getting a flat when you're least prepared. Good thing Jim's Bikes was a decent fellow. I can't say it happens every time I get a flat but they do seem to happen in groups.

I had a flat on my last ride and today when I went to get my bike to go to my LBS for a fitting the same tire was flat! I pumped it up and so far it seems to be holding.
2013-10-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys/Gals

I am back from the dead. I resumed training this weekend. I dont know what i am thinking taking that flu shot before my race. I still have 4 weeks to catch up to were i left off. My HIM is still scheduled first week of Nov. before my season is over. Running season starts for me again.

@Rebecca

Congrats on the podium finish!!! honestly let us know which is more fun the Sprint or the HIM? Good races to finish your season this year!!!

I'll borrow your quote "They come in 3s" I would like to keep that in my head , so that when i get a flat better have my wheels and tires checked after the event.

@George
I really dont know whats going on with my Aquasphere Seal Smoked goggles. I was having problems before with the seal, this time the left lens popped out before the swim. I am planning on a claim.

@Gary

Thanks for taking on putting up the workouts. Let me know if you cant see mine. Sorry about the flats. I had a previous bike route where they get flats and the owner of the store close by kept getting emergency calls. He decided to invest on a 24 hrs. dispensing machine outside for tubes and CO2s. Before a ride or a race I always practice changing my tires. There are races out there that have limited support to accommodate the competitors. Out there you can only rely on yourself.

Cheers Everyone!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-10-06 10:38 AM
2013-10-06 11:55 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Thank, Carl. Good luck prepping for your race. Mine is in two weeks. Getting excited.

Had warm up race today. 5 miler. At the beach. 1st ever. 8'19" per mile. Prett consistent pace throughout despite not having the volume turned in my phone for audio feedback from Nike running app. Would have finisher quicker if did not get chatty with a slower runner in the last mile. Sprinted the finish and have a very sore/strained left Achilles. Icing and massaging the heck out of it. Now just have to recover.

2013-10-06 12:18 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
8:19 min/mi on Sand Woot woot!!!
2013-10-06 1:18 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Asphalt NEXT TO the beach. Maybe one woot! Thx
2013-10-10 10:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I went and ran today. Not a long run just a basic warm-up then a 1mile TT and then a cool down afterwards.(6.89km/4.28miles).

I was hoping to run the mile under 10minutes and a fellow I run with predicted 9:45. So we warmed up to the 1 mile start and then ran as fast as we could. I finished the mile in 9:18 which is faster than I ever could have guessed. So really pleased with my time.

It's still slow but definitely improving.

Yesterday at the my swim session we swam a lengthy warm-up then swam a 1000m TT. I lost count of my laps at 34# so either my time was 24:08 (2secs slower than my last TT) or 25:17 a fair bit slower than I would have expected. I can't really say for sure which it was so I'll just have to get faster for the next TT probably in December.

So, who else is still here? Anyone have any late season events coming up?

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-10-10 10:24 PM
2013-10-11 12:18 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Congrats on the fast mile! It's always nice to be surprised like that.

I'm still checking in. Still running and on track to hit 1000 miles this year if I can keep it up through the winter.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41