BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2009-03-01 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1857658

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group - FULL!!!!!

I've got my first Tri next Saturday!!

So my job this week is to do a teensy bit of training and try to stay a little bit calm and focussed for Saturday!

Then I need to get my butt in gear and do some proper training - I can't realistically increase my weekly volume, but I need to spend some time sorting out a proper training schedule so that I can get up to an Oly in July!

Edited by keefmac 2009-03-01 9:27 AM

2009-03-01 7:39 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

How were your Feb totals?? Mine were Ok... low on the swim, but good to be riding again

February's totals:
Bike:24h 39m  - 456 Mi
Run:13h 53m 24s  - 97.07 Mi
Swim:8h 03m  - 19850 Yd

2009-03-01 7:47 PM

Expert
Bike:6h 21m 05s  - 47.57 Mi
Run:4h 07m 30s  - 20.83 Mi
Swim:10h 25m  - 18406.24 M
Strength:8h 10m
Well, not great. Am easing back into it and feeling good so far. I'd like to get biking hours back up there in anticipation of nice riding weather - which should be around the corner, shouldn't it? (she types as the snow keeps on coming down)
2009-03-02 7:34 AM

User image

Elite
Utah

HI Gang!!!

Sorry I haven't been around much lately... haven't been doing much lately
My knee is still a little unstable, and my arm is hurting more now that I know that my hand is broken...

My Feb totals are HORRIBLE due to the whole knee injury issue...

February's totals:
Bike:1h 33m
Run:25m  - 1.61 Mi
Swim:1h 30m  - 3300 Yd
Massage:1h 00m
Skiing:6h 00m

My knee IS starting to feel better... hopefully, March will bring more consistent training for me... 

2009-03-02 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI

Bike:

3h 10m  - 50.7 Mi

Run:19h 52m 39s  - 117.64 Mi
Swim:4h 21m  - 10050 Yd
Strength:

4h 38m

Here are my totals for February.  Certainly didn't reach my bike goal but passed running and swimming.  Glad for that.

Onto March goals:
Bike 100
Run  140
Swim 11000

2009-03-02 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
February's totals:
Bike:7h 47m 36s  - 20.6 Mi
Run:3h 29m 42s  - 23.36 Mi
Swim:2h 52m 51s  - 8950 M
Strength:3h 19m
Elliptical Training:30m 26s
Yoga:4h 30m

Think I did ok - certainly beat the crap out of the month before!

March - try and maintain the training duration I've managed in the past couple of weeks (illness aside!) and get a plan made up to work towards a possible Oly in July. (and fix my bike trainer computer!)

2009-03-02 11:30 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

Interesting nutrition seminar tonight along with a tri club meeting with our new tri club.

I will post a nice 10-point summary of the seminar tomorrow.  I don't eat correctly--what a revelation.   

2009-03-03 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1984659

User image

No; we're trying to plan our summer and what races/family vacations and such we can pull-off. We've stayed at the Landmark a bunch of times - indoor and outdoor pools for the kiddies. we've stayed in rented houses too....what are you guys thinking of doing?
2009-03-03 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
So the house is quiet with a sick one sleeping and a 2yo finally down for a nap.  Thought I would start incorporating my HIM plan into my Marathon training.  Boy am I gonna be one tired pup.  Most of the plans are meshing quite nicely, with short swims after long runs.  When it came down to my Marathon race week I didn't put any HIM training in at all.  Will one week off be enough to make sure my legs are fresh enough?  Or should I make it two?  As for recovery, I know I won't be able to walk at least the day after (based on last Saturday's run), should I take that whole week off as well?  Start the HIM back up the next week.  I will already have put in 11 weeks of the HIM in.  I am thinking I should be able to dive back in at week 13 and just take 12 off.  Confused  yet?  Let me know your thoughts.
2009-03-03 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1994615

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Joe Runner - 2009-03-03 2:30 PM So the house is quiet with a sick one sleeping and a 2yo finally down for a nap.  Thought I would start incorporating my HIM plan into my Marathon training.  Boy am I gonna be one tired pup.  Most of the plans are meshing quite nicely, with short swims after long runs.  When it came down to my Marathon race week I didn't put any HIM training in at all.  Will one week off be enough to make sure my legs are fresh enough?  Or should I make it two?  As for recovery, I know I won't be able to walk at least the day after (based on last Saturday's run), should I take that whole week off as well?  Start the HIM back up the next week.  I will already have put in 11 weeks of the HIM in.  I am thinking I should be able to dive back in at week 13 and just take 12 off.  Confused  yet?  Let me know your thoughts.

sorta confused.... is this all imported into your logs??  So I can look?

I would take at least 2 days completely off after your marathon... I would not run for at LEAST a week.  After 2 days maybe add some easy swims and  then high cadence low resistance rides.  Id wait 2 weeks to add any intensity to anything.   Even I do this!!!!   I learned the hard way

2009-03-03 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1994634

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
tripletmom01 - 2009-03-03 2:37 PM

Joe Runner - 2009-03-03 2:30 PM So the house is quiet with a sick one sleeping and a 2yo finally down for a nap.  Thought I would start incorporating my HIM plan into my Marathon training.  Boy am I gonna be one tired pup.  Most of the plans are meshing quite nicely, with short swims after long runs.  When it came down to my Marathon race week I didn't put any HIM training in at all.  Will one week off be enough to make sure my legs are fresh enough?  Or should I make it two?  As for recovery, I know I won't be able to walk at least the day after (based on last Saturday's run), should I take that whole week off as well?  Start the HIM back up the next week.  I will already have put in 11 weeks of the HIM in.  I am thinking I should be able to dive back in at week 13 and just take 12 off.  Confused  yet?  Let me know your thoughts.

I would take at least 2 days completely off after your marathon... I would not run for at LEAST a week.  After 2 days maybe add some easy swims and  then high cadence low resistance rides.  Id wait 2 weeks to add any intensity to anything.   Even I do this!!!!   I learned the hard way

couldnt disagree more!!!  (well at least about the off days from running.  two days yes, then EASY runs to get your legs back, nothing hard tho!)  and dont forget joerunner, last week was a first for you and it WILL be easier next time, ESPECIALLY if you actually believe in your abilities (which you should!)

2009-03-03 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1994705

User image

Veteran
djdavey - 2009-03-03 9:04 PM

Couldnt disagree more!!! 

Is that allowed? (remember the chipmonk...)Wink

2009-03-03 3:33 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

I wouldnt do it.  I f;d up my knee bad after my last marathon form running to soon.  I ahve actually heard you need 1 day of rest for every mile after a marathon (to recover FULLY)...not sure how much that is true but its something to think about.  1 week of no running is not going to hurt anything.

Do you wanna fight Davey??

2009-03-03 4:04 PM

User image

Hey everyone - Tammy about heart rate training....should i being doing it? Terri said you figured her zones out with 5k time? i tried to test it - max was 177.....5k time is 24.19. i'm trying to figure out watts too - joe wants me to test that out.

Terri i don't think you'll lose anything taking running time off after the mary. stretch, baby yourself.....

so are we doing some group rides this spring everyone? anyone?
2009-03-03 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1994871

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

lara13 - 2009-03-03 4:04 PM Hey everyone - Tammy about heart rate training....should i being doing it? Terri said you figured her zones out with 5k time? i tried to test it - max was 177.....5k time is 24.19. i'm trying to figure out watts too - joe wants me to test that out. Terri i don't think you'll lose anything taking running time off after the mary. stretch, baby yourself..... so are we doing some group rides this spring everyone? anyone?

HR training is a good thing. I honelstly dont do a lot of it...mainly because I have hard time keeping my strap up (no laughing - I do!)

I got those zones in the traininig bible- which I loaned to a friend.  Does Joe have that?  If not Ill call him (not Joe- my friend) and have him look them up for me (or you).  Some people swear by HR training and use it for every work out.  I guess once youhave used it enough you pretty much just know where you are at and where you should be.  Make sense?  But yes- I think it would benefit you this season at least.

As for watts.. I dont use them... I dont have a powermeter or CT - unfortunatley   But you can easily use HR for biking too.  I do wear my HRM on my trainer a lot...... its easy to just sit there and not work....but if you are trying to get your HR up to a ceratin #.... it makes you work

2009-03-03 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1994787

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
tripletmom01 - 2009-03-03 3:33 PM

I wouldnt do it.  I f;d up my knee bad after my last marathon form running to soon.  I ahve actually heard you need 1 day of rest for every mile after a marathon (to recover FULLY)...not sure how much that is true but its something to think about.  1 week of no running is not going to hurt anything.

Do you wanna fight Davey??

i dont wanna fight davey, he's a tuff little dude!!!!  and i did not say anything about running HARD OR FAST, but nice and easypeasy style.  anyway, if you do not have good form, well then you will be a lot harder on your body, WHICH IS WHY FORM IS IMPORTANT!!!!  anyway, i am not afraid of taminator the cm killa..........ive ridden with her and i have ran with her and that is 'nuff said!!!!

2009-03-03 5:17 PM
in reply to: #1994634

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
tripletmom01 - 2009-03-03 2:37 PM

I can not import two plans at once  But, I did manually type the HIM stuff in (just time though, no specific workouts for each).  I wrote the entire week off after the marathon.  I will enjoy the down time

2009-03-03 6:00 PM

Expert
Oh goodness you will need to take a break after a marathon. Yes, I have been told a day for each mile. I know that was how it went for me: in fact the worst tiredness I felt in my legs was after a week and a half or so. Anyway, avoid injury and burnout. BTDT!
2009-03-03 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

The Top Ten Ways to Balance Your Blood Sugar:

1. Always eat breakfast-have a good balance of carbs, protein, and fat
  2. Eat often and healthy snacks in between meals
  3. Balance your ratios, protein to fat to carbs
  4. Fat matters-fat stabilizes your blood sugar by slowing down the release of carbs into your bloodstream--use butter not margarine
  5. Choose whole foods, eliminate processed foods--read labels, if something has a lot of ingredients that you can't identify, don't eat it
  6. Plan your eating, carry your lunch
  7. Get your ZZZZZs, if you find yourself waking up in the middle of the night, eat a snack before you go to bed
  8. Listen to your body, if you are tired, crabby, hungry, jittery, depressed or anxious you might have low blood sugar
  9. Stay balanced and avoid bad stress-stress hormones can lower blood sugar
  10. Avoid over-training, exercise raises stress hormones--eat the right food and get plenty of rest

Use coconut oil instead of olive oil, flax seed oil, etc.  Avoid artificial sweetners and poly unsaturated fats at all costs, your body doesn't even recognize what they are.  Athletes need to ingest more protein than the average person, um, yeah.  Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, another revelation.  Don't buy your supplements at Walmart.  Don't drink diet soda, a little sugar won't hurt you.  Diet sodas trigger you to eat "bad for you" food.

She wouldn't even discuss on race day nutrition which I thought was a little odd.  Eat gelatin, no not Jello--make it with 100% fruit juice and hydrolyzed gelatin.  If you eat gelatin you won't need to supplement with GCM.  Gelatin is good for your joints and is highly anti-inflammatory.

2009-03-03 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1995182

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
retiretotri - 2009-03-03 6:38 PM

4. Fat matters-fat stabilizes your blood sugar by slowing down the release of carbs into your bloodstream--use butter not margarine
  5. Choose whole foods, eliminate processed foods--read labels, if something has a lot of ingredients that you can't identify, don't eat it
  7. Get your ZZZZZs, if you find yourself waking up in the middle of the night, eat a snack before you go to bed
  8. Listen to your body, if you are tired, crabby, hungry, jittery, depressed or anxious you might have low blood sugar
  10. Avoid over-training, exercise raises stress hormones--eat the right food and get plenty of rest

Use coconut oil instead of olive oil, flax seed oil, etc.  Avoid artificial sweetners and poly unsaturated fats at all costs, your body doesn't even recognize what they are.  Athletes need to ingest more protein than the average person, um, yeah.  Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, another revelation.  Don't buy your supplements at Walmart.  Don't drink diet soda, a little sugar won't hurt you.  Diet sodas trigger you to eat "bad for you" food.

She wouldn't even discuss on race day nutrition which I thought was a little odd.  Eat gelatin, no not Jello--make it with 100% fruit juice and hydrolyzed gelatin.  If you eat gelatin you won't need to supplement with GCM.  Gelatin is good for your joints and is highly anti-inflammatory.

Ok this may sound dumb..whats gelatin?

OK- I need to quit with the diet soda too.... I need my caffine   I have cut back though

# 7 is big for me esp during IM training.. I wake up SO hungry...but all I want to do is sleep...so then I lay there and thinkabout what I could be eating...... sigh

And I KNOW I dont eat enough protien....sigh #2

Thanks Lori!

2009-03-03 7:56 PM
in reply to: #1995182

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
retiretotri - 2009-03-03 6:38 PM

I am so with ya on the protein. I don't like meat. I don't cook meat at all. I thought coconut oil was bad for you and olive was good? I am way confused???? I quite drinking soda, but have a serious latte addiction. I figure since I don't do dairy it is a good way for me to get calcium and protein, I drink soy milk. 

2009-03-03 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI

Uh, you won't like my answer on the gelatin.  You can google it if you want but let's just say animal body parts?  Fruity, tooty regular Jell-O doesn't count. 

Lots of ways to get protein.  Tracy-soy is a really good choice.  I eat the low fat string cheese, egg beaters, peanut butter, chicken, turkey, and sometimes steak.  I have started eating more fish and will probably add in some egg whites soon.  I would like to try some cooking with tofu.

Yes, I thought coconut oil was bad for you.  The debate is saturated fat versus unsaturated fat.  I guess the molecular structure of unsaturated fat changes when you eat it.  Your body actually does a better job of utilizing saturated fat (of course, as with anything, moderation) than it does unsaturated fat.  I don't eat enough fat so my protein, carb, and fat balance is out of whack.  Much of what she said conflicted with my classes from college. 

Bottom line:  eat whole foods and avoid processed food.  Eat a nice balance of carbs, protein, and fat. 

2009-03-04 3:54 AM
in reply to: #1995747

User image

Veteran
retiretotri - 2009-03-04 4:44 AM

Uh, you won't like my answer on the gelatin.  You can google it if you want but let's just say animal body parts? 

I think it's possible to get "vegi" gelatin - but I suspect that is then straying into the hugely processed food/man-made plastic category... Some pharmaceutical firms use the vegi stuff for their soft capsules to avoid vegan militants... (think the squashable cod liver oil caps)

2009-03-04 5:05 AM
in reply to: #1995747

User image

Veteran
New Lenox, IL
retiretotri - 2009-03-03 10:44 PM

Uh, you won't like my answer on the gelatin. 

LOL I was in a plant in northern Illinois a few years back when I found out that one. I spent the next six months looking for it in different packages before I gave it up.

By the way, small amount of whining here, how on earth do you guys find the enregy to keep up your schedules?
2009-03-04 6:34 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
but its like jello?  Is it in stores?  Ok- Ill google it
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 47