BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Ghoulie Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2010-04-30 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2828960

User image

Pro
NJ
Subject: RE: The Ghoulie Mentor Group - Full
wmcgee62 - 2010-04-30 2:44 PM Next will be my first time with clip ins pedals   Worried about the humpty dumpty falling thing. Everyone is gone this weekend so no one to put me back together.

Don't spend too much time worrying about it.  It happens to us all and it will happen to you.  Just a matter of time, and it isn't restricted to when you're first starting out.  Lots of very good riders occasionally go down.  The good news is that you are typically coming to a stop and going slow.  The only thing that usually hurts is your pride.  My last tumble was at the top of a long hill where I stopped to wait for a friend.  I went down just as the LBS A ride (read: mostly very fit and fast guys all in kit) were cresting the top from the other direction. 

2010-04-30 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2770589

User image

Veteran
No trainer yet  budget for all toys and races (try to pay with my monthly bonus).  Debating about Mag or fluid.   Mag better for cadence   but fluid is more road realistic   so researching.
2010-04-30 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2828960

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
wmcgee62 - 2010-04-30 2:44 PM Next will be my first time with clip ins pedals   Worried about the humpty dumpty falling thing. Everyone is gone this weekend so no one to put me back together.

I discovered why those bike gloves are so helpful after embedding gravel in the palm of my hands a few times....that and I discovered that baseball diamonds can be handy, too - falling in the dirt isn't as painful as a parking lot. Got great advice on my first road ride, too, about getting in the habit of unclipping well before busy intersections and stop signs (aka, be prepared). That ride was great bc had a local bike shop guy behind me most of the way giving me advice. Even had me practice stopping & starting a bunch of times - I was unclipping both feet at full stops, and so taking forever to get going again.

(might also want to keep a wad of bandaids in your back pocket too!)

good luck!
2010-04-30 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2829001

User image

Regular
cabot, Arkansas
wmcgee62 - 2010-04-30 1:54 PM No trainer yet  budget for all toys and races (try to pay with my monthly bonus).  Debating about Mag or fluid.   Mag better for cadence   but fluid is more road realistic   so researching.

I've actually gone down more times while riding on my trainer............. lol
2010-04-30 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2829163

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
onevette80 - 2010-04-30 3:57 PM
wmcgee62 - 2010-04-30 1:54 PM No trainer yet  budget for all toys and races (try to pay with my monthly bonus).  Debating about Mag or fluid.   Mag better for cadence   but fluid is more road realistic   so researching.

I've actually gone down more times while riding on my trainer............. lol

I did the research too, but with all the gear acquisitions, went cheap & got the cyclops wind trainer - for what I need it to do, it's been good to me...
2010-04-30 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2829156

User image

Veteran

I discovered why those bike gloves are so helpful after embedding gravel in the palm of my hands a few times....that and I discovered that baseball diamonds can be handy, too - falling in the dirt isn't as painful as a parking lot. Got great advice on my first road ride, too, about getting in the habit of unclipping well before busy intersections and stop signs (aka, be prepared). That ride was great bc had a local bike shop guy behind me most of the way giving me advice. Even had me practice stopping & starting a bunch of times - I was unclipping both feet at full stops, and so taking forever to get going again.

good luck!

This is where the forum is better than a book. Unclipping both feet seems like over kill but wondered if this standard practice among the bikers.  Yes bike gloves just seemed to feel right to me.

2010-04-30 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Good luck Ann will look for updates on the blog.  Anyone following Iron Man St George (Utah) this weekend?  1st of May weekend starts the weekend madness here in my world.  Want to get 7-9 miles of running on Sat and 30 miles on Bike on Sunday  All depends on Work and Weather.  Have a great weekend everyone!
2010-04-30 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2829203

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
wmcgee62 - 2010-04-30 4:12 PM

good luck!

This is where the forum is better than a book. Unclipping both feet seems like over kill but wondered if this standard practice among the bikers.  Yes bike gloves just seemed to feel right to me.

He told me no, don't unclip both, bc then starting up again is tougher. My problems were compounded by the fact that my bike & seat are tall such that I can't touch the ground easily, which made me nervous (compounded by the fact that I'm a total klutz) - so we practiced my unclipping the left foot (remembering to keep the foot level and just swinging the heel to the left) then sliding forward off the seat while leaning to the left to stop, then bringing my right foot up (still clipped in) so that my right leg was at a 90 degree angle. Then, to start, I'd push off with the right foot while straightening up and hopping back up on the seat - being able to start strong like that made me a lot more confident in and of itself.

hth... definitely is getting easier...
2010-04-30 8:04 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Hey everyone.  Been a busy day or two.  I need to read back through a few posts.

Wes - Unclip both.  If you unclip one then lean to the other side, you are going down.  When you do go down, don't stick your arm out.  Tuck in your hand and elbow and land on your shoulder.  It is much less likely to break than your elbow or wrist.

Ann - Good luck on the 1/2!  I hope you have good weather. 

Edited by ransick 2010-04-30 10:26 PM
2010-04-30 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2824725

User image

Master
St. Louis
ironannekidd - 2010-04-29 5:56 AM
MarlaS - 2010-04-28 7:42 PM
MarlaS - 2010-04-28 6:47 PM WOO--HOO: UPS just delivered my wetsuit!!

OMG...I never imagined I could feel claustrophobic & like I'm suffocating simultaneously in the comfort of my own home. Trying on that wetsuit created a truly weird feeling, not to mention that I reminded myself of a beached giant seal with glasses. I'll have to try it on again with someone over the age of 11 to help me get it on, bc I can't imagine it's supposed to feel like my throat's getting squeezed shut...then again, it would explain the many stories of hyperventilation on the OWS - how the hell can you breathe if the stupid wetsuit's so tight at the neck that it closes off your airway from the outside?!

Deep breaths Marla. In with the good, out with the bad. Are you with me. The wetsuit is supposed to be snug, but still allow you to breathe. It will actually loosen up once it's a bit wet, they are sort of like sponges. Put 2-3 inches of water in your bathtub, then lay your wetsuit in it for half an hour or so. You can then hang your wetsuit somewhere that it can drip for awhile. Try it on again in a few days. Even though you may think it's dry, it still has moisture in it, it will be more flexible. See if it fits better then.

I haven't gotten my wet suit wet yet.  Should I just soak it in the tub for an hour or do I need to be in it?  My first OWS is in 2 weeks and it may very well be my first swim in the wetsuit.  I'm not sure if I have the gumption to wear it to the Y to practice before hand.

BTW Marla, when I first tried mine one, I put it on backward :-)
2010-04-30 8:56 PM
in reply to: #2829621

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

I haven't gotten my wet suit wet yet.  Should I just soak it in the tub for an hour or do I need to be in it?  My first OWS is in 2 weeks and it may very well be my first swim in the wetsuit.  I'm not sure if I have the gumption to wear it to the Y to practice before hand.

I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud at that one! Actually made me feel better in a twisted sort of way. Won't tell you how many times I've put on my bike shorts backwards....

2010-04-30 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2829684

User image

Master
St. Louis
MarlaS - 2010-04-30 8:56 PM

I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud at that one! Actually made me feel better in a twisted sort of way. Won't tell you how many times I've put on my bike shorts backwards....

I hate to admit it, but I didn't even know I had it on backwards until a couple days later when I saw a pic on BT and I was like "hey, how come his zipper is in the back?" duh!
2010-04-30 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Unclip Both ok.  Mike do you do you own adjustment on your pedals.   Do you prefer easier clip out or harder. I just bought my pedals today and will install tomorrow. Do you have a trainer? If so is it mag or fluid?

Edited by wmcgee62 2010-04-30 9:41 PM
2010-04-30 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Mike just read your blog and seen you have a cyclops. Thinking is a fluid
2010-04-30 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2829744

User image

Master
St. Louis
wmcgee62 - 2010-04-30 9:40 PM Unclip Both ok.  Mike do you do you own adjustment on your pedals.   Do you prefer easier clip out or harder. I just bought my pedals today and will install tomorrow. Do you have a trainer? If so is it mag or fluid?

Wes, easier clip out, speaking of which, I need to loosen mine some more.  I still use spd (mountain bike pedals) and the adjustment is really easy with an allen wrench.

I did go fluid.  When I researched it, I read they were more quiet and since I wanted to watch tv, I went fluid.  I really like it.  I still have to turn the tv up quite a bit.

If you haven't used a trainer before, put a towel under your bike and put a dish towel on your handle bars.  With no winds to evaporate the sweat, you will sweat alot.  Also, the trainer is harder than biking outside since there are no natural breaks like coasting over a rough patch, slowing down for traffic, etc. 
2010-04-30 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2829768

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
ransick - 2010-04-30 10:54 PM
wmcgee62 - 2010-04-30 9:40 PM Unclip Both ok.  Mike do you do you own adjustment on your pedals.   Do you prefer easier clip out or harder. I just bought my pedals today and will install tomorrow. Do you have a trainer? If so is it mag or fluid?

I did go fluid.  When I researched it, I read they were more quiet and since I wanted to watch tv, I went fluid.  I really like it.  I still have to turn the tv up quite a bit.

If you haven't used a trainer before, put a towel under your bike and put a dish towel on your handle bars.  With no winds to evaporate the sweat, you will sweat alot.  Also, the trainer is harder than biking outside since there are no natural breaks like coasting over a rough patch, slowing down for traffic, etc. 

I live in an apartment so for this reason and all of the others he listed, I went with the Kurt Kinetic one.  It really is great and I've had no complaints from the crazies downstairs yet.

Yes, sweat, sweat and more sweat all around you!

2010-04-30 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2829156

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
MarlaS - 2010-04-30 3:53 PM

good luck!

Great lessons, especially the gloves.  I didn't wear mine the first time and I still have pain in my wrist and something imbedded in my palm over 3 weeks later.  Oops!  Embarassed

Good night Ghoulies and fellow Ghoulie-wannabes.  Have a great weekend!

Edited by Sulcus 2010-04-30 10:21 PM
2010-05-01 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Bike wreckI wish someone had told me to loosen the float in the pedals! Here is the aftermath of my first spill while learning to use clipless. As you can see, I did manage to roll onto my shoulder, but couldn't get foot free and my knee took the brunt of the fall. Oh, and the Heineken came AFTER the spill...
2010-05-01 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
That hurt
2010-05-01 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2830094

User image

Champion
Bronze member
abake - 2010-05-01 10:17 AM Bike wreckI wish someone had told me to loosen the float in the pedals! Here is the aftermath of my first spill while learning to use clipless. As you can see, I did manage to roll onto my shoulder, but couldn't get foot free and my knee took the brunt of the fall. Oh, and the Heineken came AFTER the spill...

OUCH! I hope someone kissed it and made it better. Laughing
2010-05-01 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Good Morning Robin

2010-05-01 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2830157

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ouch Ann! 

Wes, you will fall at some point.  Don't worry about it.

When I first got clipless pedals I fell in my driveway a couple times.  I also fell on the sidewalk of a busy street when a car turned in front of me while I was traveling full speed.  I looked both tires up on my mountain bike, came to a complete stop, then fell to the right because when you are about to hit a car, clicked out is the last thing on your mind.  Now I'm in the habit of clicking out when I approach every intersection or iffy situation even though most of the time I won;t really have to click out.
2010-05-01 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2830171

User image

Veteran
ransick - 2010-05-01 10:28 AM Ouch Ann! 

When I first got clipless pedals I fell in my driveway a couple times.  I also fell on the sidewalk of a busy street when a car turned in front of me while I was traveling full speed.  I looked both tires up on my mountain bike, came to a complete stop, then fell to the right because when you are about to hit a car, clicked out is the last thing on your mind.  Now I'm in the habit of clicking out when I approach every intersection or iffy situation even though most of the time I won;t really have to click out.

I have accepted I will fall. I am too clumsy to think otherwise .  Thanks for the info on the trainer  Do you train according to cadence, heart rate  or what on your trainer
2010-05-01 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Morning all.

Speaking of trainers, I need to get on mine.

Wes, I don't have a very good HR monitor for any of my training. For the trainier I just use my speedometer and RPM to gauge my work out. There are some very good training programs that you can use on your trainer. I have a couple of DVDs that I use. My favorite is the "Spinnervals" workouts. There are a bunch of them and they are really great.

Edited by ceilidh 2010-05-01 10:41 AM
2010-05-01 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2830174

User image

Master
St. Louis
wmcgee62 - 2010-05-01 10:30 AM
ransick - 2010-05-01 10:28 AM Ouch Ann! 

I have accepted I will fall. I am too clumsy to think otherwise .  Thanks for the info on the trainer  Do you train according to cadence, heart rate  or what on your trainer

I train according to time and let my heart rate and cadence be what they will be.  This is my first year of tris so T.I.T.S. (time in the saddle) will yield big benefits by itself.  Next winter I might start doing some training by cadence and get a spinerval dvd or two. 

I started in January on the trainer and did 20 minutes then 25, then 30 etc until I built up to an hour.  My basic philosophy for bike training is pedal hard enough until your legs start aching from lack of oxygen then back it off a notch so you can sustain it.  Back it off two notches if you need to.  I was following a "real" bike rider last week and watched his training technique.  His cadence was way higher than mine, probably 110 vs. 90 and I could have easily passed him but I decided to up my cadence and watch his technique.  He kept the high cadence, ate or drank something about every 5 minutes, and looked like he could ride forever.   followed him for about 5 miles and my legs felt great though my speed was slower.  It did allow me to hammer my last 5 miles.

I don't know your background but if you are just starting, my advice is keep it simple and focus on T.I.T.S. until you have a good base then decide if you want to train by cadence or herat rate or some of both.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Ghoulie Mentor Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 56