BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-05 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3533313

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
98 degrees at 3:00 pm today did a 60 miler...Heat and headwind equal new meaning to no pain no gain..Man I struggled the last 10 miles but was able to make it..Hope all is well with all.

2011-06-06 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Wohoo Ken! Great job on the 5k!!! And glad the sprint went well too!

S'n'B that sounds like a killer ride..

My recovery consisted of 2:43 minute 37 mile ride with some hills...legs were pretty done last night. I was going to run this am but decided a day off for the legs would be good. A pretty good week ahead ending with a Century ride with Kathleen on Sunday...hope I can finish it and Kathleen doesn't kill me for being so slow.

Making my age group win even less impressive it turns out only 5 people in my age group finished...one placed 3 overall woman so that means I really was only ahead of 3 LOL! ahh well a win is a win. Still pleased overall as in comparing numbers it seems that my bike and run times are improved over the last tri from last year at this same location. So with any luck that means things will get a little better as the season goes on.
2011-06-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3533841

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-05 9:08 PM

Another AG win Ken?

Nope, 7th.  I would need to learn to swim faster to have any chance of that happening. 

How did your race go?
2011-06-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3533842

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-06-05 9:08 PM 98 degrees at 3:00 pm today did a 60 miler...Heat and headwind equal new meaning to no pain no gain..Man I struggled the last 10 miles but was able to make it..Hope all is well with all.

Wow, big ride in the GA heat and humidity!  Nice work!
2011-06-06 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3534367

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-06-06 9:09 AM Wohoo Ken! Great job on the 5k!!! And glad the sprint went well too! S'n'B that sounds like a killer ride.. My recovery consisted of 2:43 minute 37 mile ride with some hills...legs were pretty done last night. I was going to run this am but decided a day off for the legs would be good. A pretty good week ahead ending with a Century ride with Kathleen on Sunday...hope I can finish it and Kathleen doesn't kill me for being so slow. Making my age group win even less impressive it turns out only 5 people in my age group finished...one placed 3 overall woman so that means I really was only ahead of 3 LOL! ahh well a win is a win. Still pleased overall as in comparing numbers it seems that my bike and run times are improved over the last tri from last year at this same location. So with any luck that means things will get a little better as the season goes on.

In my opinion if there is more than 1 person in your age group and you win, it counts! It means you beat sombody!  So don't sell yourself short, you had a great race!

You will do fine with the ride too!
2011-06-06 9:05 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
After looking at the results on line for yesterdays race it is easy to see where I need to spend some time the next month.  Not my favorite activity, but although I have plenty of room to improve on the run and bike to reach the front of the field, my swim is holding me back the most.  Maybe I will sign up for some lessons and video review.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

2011-06-06 9:12 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Not sure what happened on my swim, it was *awful* (first wetsuit swim but I really don't think that was it). Just didn't get my breathing under control and don't believe it had much to do with the cold water. I was SO disappointed because I've been swimming great (for me) lately and this was only 375m.

This is the only race I've ever done before so it's the only thing close to a yardstick I have so was happy with having taken over 3 min off my previous time from two years ago. The splits haven't been posted yet but I'm thinking most of my improvement was likely transitions. Had a great bike leg on my trusty steed, though, so I'm taking that as my silver lining.

2011-06-06 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

You all did great! 

Don't worry about that feeling of not catching your breath on the swim.  It is so common there are articles about it.   We tend to go out faster than we should because the heart hasn't caught up with the load at first.  Ease into it, find your opening and get into the groove and enjoy the swim.  I use it to center myself for the bike.  Toward the end I'm visualizing the transition.  Love open water.  I want a sleeveless wetsuit so I can feel the stroke better, though and to regulate heat.

2011-06-06 11:00 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

Congrats to all who raced this weekend.  Sounds like you put forth your all despite the conditions.

Well done!

2011-06-06 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3534522

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-06 10:12 AM

Not sure what happened on my swim, it was *awful* (first wetsuit swim but I really don't think that was it). Just didn't get my breathing under control and don't believe it had much to do with the cold water. I was SO disappointed because I've been swimming great (for me) lately and this was only 375m.

This is the only race I've ever done before so it's the only thing close to a yardstick I have so was happy with having taken over 3 min off my previous time from two years ago. The splits haven't been posted yet but I'm thinking most of my improvement was likely transitions. Had a great bike leg on my trusty steed, though, so I'm taking that as my silver lining.

3 minutes on a super sprint is a big improvement! I'd be surprised if the improvement wasn't spread across all 3!
2011-06-06 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3534742

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-06-06 11:36 AM

You all did great! 

Don't worry about that feeling of not catching your breath on the swim.  It is so common there are articles about it.   We tend to go out faster than we should because the heart hasn't caught up with the load at first.  Ease into it, find your opening and get into the groove and enjoy the swim.  I use it to center myself for the bike.  Toward the end I'm visualizing the transition.  Love open water.  I want a sleeveless wetsuit so I can feel the stroke better, though and to regulate heat.

I have both and still haven't figured out which I like better yet.  Both have pluses and minuses. 

I like your thoughts on visualizing the transition!

2011-06-06 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3534496

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

kenj - 2011-06-06 8:02 AM
julta - 2011-06-06 9:09 AM Wohoo Ken! Great job on the 5k!!! And glad the sprint went well too! S'n'B that sounds like a killer ride.. My recovery consisted of 2:43 minute 37 mile ride with some hills...legs were pretty done last night. I was going to run this am but decided a day off for the legs would be good. A pretty good week ahead ending with a Century ride with Kathleen on Sunday...hope I can finish it and Kathleen doesn't kill me for being so slow. Making my age group win even less impressive it turns out only 5 people in my age group finished...one placed 3 overall woman so that means I really was only ahead of 3 LOL! ahh well a win is a win. Still pleased overall as in comparing numbers it seems that my bike and run times are improved over the last tri from last year at this same location. So with any luck that means things will get a little better as the season goes on.

In my opinion if there is more than 1 person in your age group and you win, it counts! It means you beat sombody!  So don't sell yourself short, you had a great race!

You will do fine with the ride too!

DITTO!

2011-06-06 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend and great job on the weekend training.

Question for all of you. When you do long rides do you use tri short or bike shorts?

I have always used tri shorts ( if I remember correctly) as the bike shorts I have seem to bunch up. (They aren't anything special so that might be part of the problem).  As Julie mentioned, we have a century ride this weekend and I didn't even give shorts a thought until I did a two hour trainer ride on my road bike last night.  I haven't ridden my road bike in awhile and getting used to the saddle again isa bit rough.  I know it is a personal thing but I am curious what you all think and if you have any suggestions on good biking shorts. 

Thanks!

2011-06-06 10:15 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

My preference for long rides is bike shorts, it's what they're designed for. The increased amount of padding comes into its own on the long outings.

Tri shorts are a great compromise where the compromise is valuable.

I just started using chamois cream this year... don't know why I took so long to start. Makes for a great combo with the bike shorts, IMHO.

2011-06-07 3:56 AM
in reply to: #3536185

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-06-06 11:09 PM

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend and great job on the weekend training.

Question for all of you. When you do long rides do you use tri short or bike shorts?

I have always used tri shorts ( if I remember correctly) as the bike shorts I have seem to bunch up. (They aren't anything special so that might be part of the problem).  As Julie mentioned, we have a century ride this weekend and I didn't even give shorts a thought until I did a two hour trainer ride on my road bike last night.  I haven't ridden my road bike in awhile and getting used to the saddle again isa bit rough.  I know it is a personal thing but I am curious what you all think and if you have any suggestions on good biking shorts. 

Thanks!

The simple answer is, it depends! Cool

For me it depends on the purpose of the ride.  If I am doing a century, or training for a specific ride like a century then I will where bike shorts.  I have found that I prefer the more expensive bibs over the less expensive bike shorts I first bought.  Like you mentioned, they had a tendency to bunch up in the wrong places.  There is a big difference in how they fit and how comfortable they are over longer rides.

If I am training for a longer distance tri, then I will train in tri shorts.  Some people will take the time to change from bike shorts to running shorts in T2 at an IM, I preffered not to.  So it is a personal decision on comfort and time.  But unless you have spent some quality time with what you are looking to wear, you wont know how they will feel after 100 miles in the saddle.  This is why I recommend training in what you hope to race in.

We are all comfortable with different products and sometimes you can find something that works just fine without spending a lot.  I know some people will order from several different suppliers and send back the ones that don't feel right.
2011-06-07 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Funny you should ask this Kathleen...I was just worrying about what I will be wearing during the HIM in August. On our last training ride (60 miles) I wore a pair of bike short that I plan to wear for the Century..I had absolutely no pain or soreness at the end of that ride, it was fabulous! Which lead me to think of doing that in my tri shorts...and it did not sound pleasurable. First I think I need to invest in a better pair of tri shorts but still I'm some what worried. I need to find something before the oly I think.

2011-06-08 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

For whatever reason my tri shorts are much more comfortable than my bike shorts.  I thought with the smaller pad that I'd have a problem but that wasn't the case.  I think I'm due for a new pair of bike shorts though.

What is the general life of bike shorts?  I've got over 1500 miles on this pair.

2011-06-08 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Great job to all that raced last weekend!  The hard work is paying off.  I hope to join in the success at my first tri of 2011 in 3+ weeks. 

What time should I arrive at the tri site on race day?  There's a race meeting at 7:30am and transition closes at 7:45.  I was planning to stay near the race, but hotel rates are jacked way up being that it's 4th of July weekend.  So I will be driving the 90 min. from home the day of the race.

Also, what does "transition closes" mean? 

Sorry for the n00b type questions.

2011-06-08 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3538419

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Trout - 2011-06-08 6:40 AM

Great job to all that raced last weekend!  The hard work is paying off.  I hope to join in the success at my first tri of 2011 in 3+ weeks. 

What time should I arrive at the tri site on race day?  There's a race meeting at 7:30am and transition closes at 7:45.  I was planning to stay near the race, but hotel rates are jacked way up being that it's 4th of July weekend.  So I will be driving the 90 min. from home the day of the race.

"Transition closes" means that everyone must be out of the transition area. They will not let anyone else in and all athletes need to leave the area. So, you want to have everything set up and be ready to race by that time.

I always like to get to the site early as I like to be able to pick a good spot to set up (have to guard those spots though as things get moved as late arrivers show up).  To minimize the stress of the morning, I would suggest you give yourself enough time so that you don't feel like you are rushing. An hour at least. Especially if you have to do packet pick-up etc on race day.

Dont forget your ID!   I did that once when I had a race day packet pick-up (not used to that) and wasn't driving and had to go back home to get my license. Very stressful!

2011-06-08 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3538439

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-06-08 8:47 AM

"Transition closes" means that everyone must be out of the transition area. They will not let anyone else in and all athletes need to leave the area. So, you want to have everything set up and be ready to race by that time.

I always like to get to the site early as I like to be able to pick a good spot to set up (have to guard those spots though as things get moved as late arrivers show up).  To minimize the stress of the morning, I would suggest you give yourself enough time so that you don't feel like you are rushing. An hour at least. Especially if you have to do packet pick-up etc on race day.

Dont forget your ID!   I did that once when I had a race day packet pick-up (not used to that) and wasn't driving and had to go back home to get my license. Very stressful!

Very good advice and spot on! 

No need to apologize for the question, it was a valid one and it is part of what this group is for!Smile
2011-06-08 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3538403

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-08 8:33 AM

For whatever reason my tri shorts are much more comfortable than my bike shorts.  I thought with the smaller pad that I'd have a problem but that wasn't the case.  I think I'm due for a new pair of bike shorts though.

What is the general life of bike shorts?  I've got over 1500 miles on this pair.

That's a good question, but I have never kept track.  I have accumulated several bibs, shorts and tri shorts over the years but never kept track of how often I have worn them or for what distance.  I have one tri kit I save for races, but it was new for IMFL last year so just 2 races so far.

Usually I just get rid of them once seams start seperating, or if the material gets too thin.  Do enough tri's and you will come up behind someone on the run that has worn a pair once too often (especially white shorts)! Embarassed 

2011-06-08 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3538462

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
kenj - 2011-06-08 8:57 AM
Trout - 2011-06-08 8:33 AM

That's a good question, but I have never kept track.  I have accumulated several bibs, shorts and tri shorts over the years but never kept track of how often I have worn them or for what distance.  I have one tri kit I save for races, but it was new for IMFL last year so just 2 races so far.

Usually I just get rid of them once seams start seperating, or if the material gets too thin.  Do enough tri's and you will come up behind someone on the run that has worn a pair once too often (especially white shorts)! Embarassed 

The only reason I know their mileage is that I only have one pair!  I got a tri kit last year for my race and plan to use it mainly for races, but I've worn the shorts a few times this year so far for training.  (They're comfy)  I probably should just get another pair at the LBS.

I was just talking to my wife last night about probably not wearing any shorts that were not black or dark blue.  White is a definite no-no for me!

2011-06-08 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
IN my world, bike shorts are so-so, even $90 Bontragers.  They last a while.  Best to look for the ones without much internal threading...thats what rubs the heck out of me.  I bought some TYR carbon tri shorts.  Absolutely awesome up to 50 miles.  They will get longer workouts soon.  TYR seems to make comfortable non-carbon too.  Not a lot of padding but actually, too much padding can be bad. 
2011-06-08 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3538419

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

A few more quick thoughts.  When you account for your time of arrival make sure you are including the time to unload your bike and gear and get to transition. I have  done races where there was a mile walk to transition. At one race I left my water bottles in my car (it is dark in those early morningsTongue out)  and had to walk a mile round trip to go back and get them. Fortunately someone was willing to keep an eye on the spot I picked out in transition.   One rule that isn't always talked about but can be inforced is wearing your bike helmet if you are riding to transition from the parking lot. Depending on the race and the refs, this can be inforced. You want to keep that helmet on anytime you are on the bike even if you aren't racing.

2011-06-08 8:44 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

I'll second the "get there early" idea. My first race I arrived in decent time, then got caught up in traffic at the venue gate (10 minutes), long walk from the parking area (10 minutes), packet pickup (20 minutes in lines), and porta-potty line (10 minutes), and now I was running like crazy just to make it to the starting line. I was stressed out and breathing hard before the race even started. Ruined the day, or at least my starting mindset, to be honest.

Second race arrived an hour earlier, leisurely walked through everything and there was no stress whatsoever.

Hope you can learn from my mistakes and not have to make them yourself. This is all about having fun, not getting stressed out.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72