BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-01-26 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4011518

User image

Regular
Denver
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
Kath2163 - 2012-01-26 12:15 AM

For the past month or two I have been trying the "run more often" method to see if that would help my running and I have to say that I think it is helping. I see some progress and I appreciate any little bit that I can achieve. For the first time in a long time (maybe ever) I am encouraged about my running. A good feeling.

Yay!

2012-01-26 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
Kath2163 - 2012-01-25 10:15 PM

For the past month or two I have been trying the "run more often" method to see if that would help my running and I have to say that I think it is helping. I see some progress and I appreciate any little bit that I can achieve. For the first time in a long time (maybe ever) I am encouraged about my running. A good feeling.

AWESOME! 

2012-01-26 10:03 AM

New user
Walterboro
Kath2163 - 2012-01-26 12:15 AM

I've been very consistent with all my workouts since the first of the year. I've been encouraged by all of my results but especially my run.  I'm actually getting to the point where I'm enjoying my runs.  I hated my runs before.  I'm also starting to get a little faster. 
2012-01-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4011409

User image

Regular
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-25 9:35 PM

Anyone know how to resolve dry mouth/throat while running?   It's very dry in Vegas, and therefore, pretty dry in gyms and outside.

The last couple times I started to notice that I'm getting a lot of dry mouth/dry throat. It doesn't feel like I'm thirsty, but I drink water to try to resolve the dryness.  It turns out that it's a bit of a bad idea because the water causes side stitches, and there really isn't any reason why I should be drinking a lot of water if I'm doing short runs. 

Any idea?

No experience with this, but have you tried putting a very small amount of water in your mouth?  Just enough to keep it moist, but not swallow.  I think this is a technique of dessert survival when water is limited - it is suposed to keep your mouth moist so you don't think about being thirsty as much.

Also, breathing through your nose rather than your mouth is supposed to help.

2012-01-26 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4011542

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-26 1:32 AM
Kath2163 - 2012-01-25 9:53 PM
abake - 2012-01-22 1:16 PM
sdswriter - 2012-01-21 7:37 PM
MarlaS - 2012-01-21 3:55 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-21 2:18 PM

However, I definitely need to get some mojo going to do the training. I blame lack of sleep (chronic insomnia sufferer).

Hear you on the sleep thing, too. Trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep? Melatonin seems to be helping me with sleep onset, I think, but between dental woes & my bladder I don't remember the last time I slept through the night non-stop... might also help if I consistently tried an earlier bedtime....

Yikes, sounds like we've got a group of insomniacs on our list! I'm in the same boat. I wake up about 6-7 times a night. It's been going on for 20+ years now. I had some surgery a couple of years ago to rid myself of sleep apnea. I also take a handful of medication to quell restless legs. But I haven't had non-stop sleep night since the mid-1980s. I sometimes think triathlons are a piece of cake compared to getting a good night's sleep!

I am in this club too. I will sleep for about 4 hours, then my brain kicks into some kind of bizarre 45 minute sleep cycle. 

Can I add my name to the list?

I don't know if I have ever slept through the night    I do find that ear plugs help somewhat.  I envy people who can fall asleep in minutes.

I have NO problems falling asleep, it's staying asleep is the issue. Luckily, my insomnia wasn't as severe as it was a few years ago before I got my Cochlear Implant surgery (It cured my 24/7 Migraines and Tinnitus...OY VEY..that was AWFUL!), but I still get them at least once or twice a week. I just deal.

LUCKILY - I'm deaf...so I don't have any issues hearing anything at night. :-P

I sleep like a baby.  I am a prostate cancer survivor so I awake once or twice a night, but right back to sleep.  I use ear plugs because someone I know snores...I won't say who....I guess it could be the cat :/

During IronMan training I was really persistent about 8 hours of sleep or more a night.  Frankly, I couldn't have done the workouts if I wasn't getting enough.  I also napped on the weekends.  I still do these things and I'm loving the alertness I get during the day. 

2012-01-26 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4011542

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-26 1:32 AM
Kath2163 - 2012-01-25 9:53 PM
abake - 2012-01-22 1:16 PM
sdswriter - 2012-01-21 7:37 PM
MarlaS - 2012-01-21 3:55 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-21 2:18 PM

However, I definitely need to get some mojo going to do the training. I blame lack of sleep (chronic insomnia sufferer).

Hear you on the sleep thing, too. Trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep? Melatonin seems to be helping me with sleep onset, I think, but between dental woes & my bladder I don't remember the last time I slept through the night non-stop... might also help if I consistently tried an earlier bedtime....

Yikes, sounds like we've got a group of insomniacs on our list! I'm in the same boat. I wake up about 6-7 times a night. It's been going on for 20+ years now. I had some surgery a couple of years ago to rid myself of sleep apnea. I also take a handful of medication to quell restless legs. But I haven't had non-stop sleep night since the mid-1980s. I sometimes think triathlons are a piece of cake compared to getting a good night's sleep!

I am in this club too. I will sleep for about 4 hours, then my brain kicks into some kind of bizarre 45 minute sleep cycle. 

Can I add my name to the list?

I don't know if I have ever slept through the night    I do find that ear plugs help somewhat.  I envy people who can fall asleep in minutes.

I have NO problems falling asleep, it's staying asleep is the issue. Luckily, my insomnia wasn't as severe as it was a few years ago before I got my Cochlear Implant surgery (It cured my 24/7 Migraines and Tinnitus...OY VEY..that was AWFUL!), but I still get them at least once or twice a week. I just deal.

LUCKILY - I'm deaf...so I don't have any issues hearing anything at night. :-P

I sleep like a baby.  I am a prostate cancer survivor so I awake once or twice a night, but right back to sleep.  I use ear plugs because someone I know snores...I won't say who....I guess it could be the cat :/

During IronMan training I was really persistent about 8 hours of sleep or more a night.  Frankly, I couldn't have done the workouts if I wasn't getting enough.  I also napped on the weekends.  I still do these things and I'm loving the alertness I get during the day. 

2012-01-26 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Expert
Canada

Another 10k run for me today.

I'm building..

Edited by GoGoGo 2012-01-26 3:34 PM
2012-01-26 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4012828

User image

Veteran
Georgia
GoGoGo - 2012-01-26 3:33 PM

Another 10k run for me today.

I'm building..

Great Job!! Keep it up.

2012-01-26 8:43 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

wow guys!  Miss a few days of checking in and you miss alot around here!  Sorry for not cutting and pasting but this is faster...

Congrats to the new mom that is running again- AWESOME! Been there done that and my baby just turned 2 this weekend- finally back into my pre baby pace!

to the person with dry mouth- try chewing gum when you run- I can chew gum because of TMJ but i do when I run- just a little bit will help wet the whistle!  chomp a few times when you start to go dry and it activates your salivary glands.

Awesome job to everyone who is training hard and losing weight!  You guys are really active and inspiring- gotta make sure I check in daily or I get too far behind and cant keep up!

Slept through this am work out- went to bed at 8:30 pm so I know I was tired- sometimes its just better to listen to your body.  I have until the end of feb before I really need to kick into gear for HIM training.  Trying to lay down a base for swim and bike- got the run part covered. Easier said than done though!

Paula

2012-01-27 5:42 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Morning everyone! Sorry I have been a bit absent, home life was crazy this week. Just getting back to normal. Got a nice run in this morning although there are patches of black ice slowing things down. Ah winter...
2012-01-27 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Happy Friday!!!  Does anyone have a race this weekend? 

Day off for me today, hopefully I will be able to squeeze a workout in between kids activities tomorrow.

2012-01-27 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4013614

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

abake - 2012-01-27 6:42 AM Morning everyone! Sorry I have been a bit absent, home life was crazy this week. Just getting back to normal. Got a nice run in this morning although there are patches of black ice slowing things down. Ah winter...

Morning Anne! 

Good to get out and get a run, be careful of the black ice and running early! 

2012-01-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4013419

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Roadtoad22 - 2012-01-26 9:43 PM

wow guys!  Miss a few days of checking in and you miss alot around here!  Sorry for not cutting and pasting but this is faster...

Congrats to the new mom that is running again- AWESOME! Been there done that and my baby just turned 2 this weekend- finally back into my pre baby pace!

to the person with dry mouth- try chewing gum when you run- I can chew gum because of TMJ but i do when I run- just a little bit will help wet the whistle!  chomp a few times when you start to go dry and it activates your salivary glands.

Awesome job to everyone who is training hard and losing weight!  You guys are really active and inspiring- gotta make sure I check in daily or I get too far behind and cant keep up!

Slept through this am work out- went to bed at 8:30 pm so I know I was tired- sometimes its just better to listen to your body.  I have until the end of feb before I really need to kick into gear for HIM training.  Trying to lay down a base for swim and bike- got the run part covered. Easier said than done though!

Paula

I've been told to listen to my body more, but frankly I get sick of the complaining! Wink  Seriously though, we tend not to get enough rest as age groupers.  Too much going on and trying to fit the appropriate training in.  It has forced me to be a better time manager, but this time of year it is a struggle for me!

2012-01-27 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4014697

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-01-27 3:03 PM

Happy Friday!!!  Does anyone have a race this weekend? 

Day off for me today, hopefully I will be able to squeeze a workout in between kids activities tomorrow.

Hi Robin!

I had a race on the schedule, part of the winter racing series.  But I found out today that a good friend of the family passed while I was away and the funeral is tomorrow, so I will be attending that instead. 

But, I will get my bike ride in prior and a nice run in Sunday!

2012-01-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4014940

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2012-01-27 4:14 PM
Roadtoad22 - 2012-01-26 9:43 PM

Paula

I've been told to listen to my body more, but frankly I get sick of the complaining! Wink  Seriously though, we tend not to get enough rest as age groupers.  Too much going on and trying to fit the appropriate training in.  It has forced me to be a better time manager, but this time of year it is a struggle for me!

Ugg...same for me. I've been really beat the past 2 days - took today off - will have to play catch up this weekend. I hate being behind on training but sleep and rest are all part of the game and need to be managed.

2012-01-28 5:06 AM
in reply to: #4015078

User image

Expert
Hey all! Off to Great Wolf Lodge indoor water park with the kids. Hopefully wallking up the stairs to all those water slides will be good for something! Have a great weekend...

2012-01-28 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4015586

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

gator22 - 2012-01-28 6:06 AM Hey all! Off to Great Wolf Lodge indoor water park with the kids. Hopefully wallking up the stairs to all those water slides will be good for something! Have a great weekend...

Have fun! I loved going to those indoor parks when the kids were younger!  Great way to spend a winter weekend!

2012-01-28 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4010068

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
russrisher - 2012-01-25 10:47 AM

I want to brag on my wife a little.

She ran 3 miles last night without stopping.  This is 8 weeks after having a baby.  She couldn't run at all during the pregnancy and was on bed rest the final 7 weeks.  Also, she could barely walk towards the end because of sciatic nerve pain.  So basically, after not being able to run for almost a year - she's back at it and did 3 miles at only about 1 min/mile slower than her old times.

I'm pretty proud.

You should be...she's a goddess as far as I'm concerned. Wow.

2012-01-28 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4013614

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

abake - 2012-01-27 6:42 AM Morning everyone! Sorry I have been a bit absent, home life was crazy this week. Just getting back to normal. Got a nice run in this morning although there are patches of black ice slowing things down. Ah winter...

Anne, you know I think you're nuts! Wink Be careful out there

And hi to the rest of the gang...sorry to have been MIA, though I've been trying to catch peeks at the posts here/there.... trying to catch up work-wise (i AM the hamster on the wheel), and my body's still trying to conspire against me. Getting rear-ended last month set me back more than I realized, but back in PT, hooked up with a personal trainer at the gym to really focus on core (and some overall) strength, and sticking religiously with the running group program best I can. Trying to keep it sloooowww, and build gradually.

Folks losing the weight are definitely inspiring me - I need to stay away from peanut butter and popcorn...especially after 10pm!

Sun's shining here today, which is always a good omen, IMHO. Have a nice weekend!
Marla

2012-01-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4015586

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC

gator22 - 2012-01-28 6:06 AM Hey all! Off to Great Wolf Lodge indoor water park with the kids. Hopefully wallking up the stairs to all those water slides will be good for something! Have a great weekend...

INdoor water park? what a concept! actually sounds like fun, esp in the winter. enjoy!

2012-01-28 12:30 PM

User image

Regular
Best swim- probably ever today. I wouldnt call it an "ahh ha" moument yet- more of a "hmm, that's interrsting". But i was able to keep my breath for longer than ever before and finished not being completely gassed.

Still not much distance yet, but i think i have something to build on from today.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

2012-01-28 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4015977

User image

Master
Sin City

russrisher - 2012-01-28 10:30 AM Best swim- probably ever today. I wouldnt call it an "ahh ha" moument yet- more of a "hmm, that's interrsting". But i was able to keep my breath for longer than ever before and finished not being completely gassed.

Still not much distance yet, but i think i have something to build on from today.

Nice job!  You can probably practice the breathing technique by breathing every 3 strokes for 25, then every 5 strokes for 25m, then 7 strokes, then 9 strokes. Teaches you to slowly breathe out in the water instead of blasting all out and getting gassed at the end. 

I'm able to complete 25m without taking a breath....that's 30 seconds. I just breath out slowly. :-)

Edited by CyborgQueen 2012-01-28 4:01 PM
2012-01-28 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4015780

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
MarlaS - 2012-01-28 10:23 AM

Anne, you know I think you're nuts! Wink Be careful out there

And hi to the rest of the gang...sorry to have been MIA, though I've been trying to catch peeks at the posts here/there.... trying to catch up work-wise (i AM the hamster on the wheel), and my body's still trying to conspire against me. Getting rear-ended last month set me back more than I realized, but back in PT, hooked up with a personal trainer at the gym to really focus on core (and some overall) strength, and sticking religiously with the running group program best I can. Trying to keep it sloooowww, and build gradually.

Folks losing the weight are definitely inspiring me - I need to stay away from peanut butter and popcorn...especially after 10pm!

Sun's shining here today, which is always a good omen, IMHO. Have a nice weekend!
Marla

Sounds like a good plan with the PT and trainer at the gym! Building slow with run and keeping it consistent will pay off big this summer!
2012-01-28 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4016207

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-28 4:55 PM

russrisher - 2012-01-28 10:30 AM Best swim- probably ever today. I wouldnt call it an "ahh ha" moument yet- more of a "hmm, that's interrsting". But i was able to keep my breath for longer than ever before and finished not being completely gassed.

Nice job!  You can probably practice the breathing technique by breathing every 3 strokes for 25, then every 5 strokes for 25m, then 7 strokes, then 9 strokes. Teaches you to slowly breathe out in the water instead of blasting all out and getting gassed at the end. 

I'm able to complete 25m without taking a breath....that's 30 seconds. I just breath out slowly. :-)

That is a god drill, my coach has me do various configurations of the same drill. It also teaches (by accident I think) faster stroke turnover, which for me is a side benefit. Probably not the intention of the drill, but it works.
2012-01-28 4:28 PM
in reply to: #4016237

User image

Regular
Denver

The Good News:  I rode with my new Power Meter

The "Less-Than-Optimal" News:  My Power/Watts were about 125 Average

Guys, I am discouraged.  It felt so HARD to turn the crank today.  Maybe the tire pressure was different... maybe I'm emotionally exhausted... in any case, I am concerned about my Ironman in June.  I just am not sure that I can actually gain the power I need to have a success on race day.

I'm just embarrassed by my power... and while I hope that I can improve, I am just not that sure I can push more wattage for 112 Miles.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72