BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-18 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4583804

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
jpbis26 - 2013-01-18 1:13 AM

Still doing C25K and gradually running more than walking. By the end of the month, I should be runnng the entire 30 minutes. Looking to do a 5K in March.

This sounds like you are doing well with your progression.  I am so glad you have been able to get back into a training regimen after your layoff.  Take your time and keep building slowly and you'll be in great shape for the March time frame.

And don't worry about who passes you anywhere.  There aren't any 70 year old men or women that are running faster than you that haven't been running for years and years.  I am equally certain that there aren't many 70 year old people that are running at all.

2013-01-18 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4583681

User image

Michigan
bhargavs - 2013-01-17 9:24 PM

A nice breakthrough in the pool today. I had a lesson with my coach and one of the things he made me do was to try and swim 25 meters as slow as possible and in no less than a minute. First try to go slow took me 45 secs and after 2 attempts I finally managed to slow down to a minute. He then asked me to swim normally and I just kept going. 100 meters at first and then 150m. I hadn't been able to go more than 50m at a time before this. I knew I had to slow down as many had suggested here before but it really took this radical effort to go as slow as possible to turn it around! Feel pretty psyched about it!

Bhargav - nice job, I'm sure this is a major breakthrough and you are well on your way!  Keep it up!

2013-01-18 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4584557

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jenbmosley - 2013-01-18 12:46 PM
dmiller5 - 2013-01-18 10:45 AM
jenbmosley - 2013-01-18 9:25 AM
KWDreamun - 2013-01-18 9:00 AM

Jen, be careful with the run.  I do understand about wanting to get the mileage in.  Tomorrow I'm supposed to get 12 in, even though I'm hurting (I lost my smart marbles too).  I've called trying to get a massage set up for today.

Try to get to the Tally 1/2 healthy!

Oh yea, registration opens for RedHills Monday at 4:00 pm, if I can help, let me know.

Karl-

I have scaled my mileage back like you would not believe. I used to run 4x a week, now, just twice a week. I am approaching the Tally HM with caution- my goal is to be carfeul and set my sights on the Albany HM in March.

Thats good! but I would consider keeping the frequency and shortening the runs to prevent injury. if you can help it your long run shouldn't be more than 1/3 of weekly mileage (general rule).

Good Lordy - I am so in violation of that rule of thumb at the moment. My knee is feeling pretty good right now and I have been sitting at my delightful desk all morning - until last week it would get stiff after a run and then sitting at my desk. The fact that I have no discomfort is pretty exciting. I am strangely psyched about it and kinda want to run (a short run) tomorrow. I'm not going to, but just knowing how good I feel right now tells me a lot.

I was going to say something similar to what David said already.   A few pages ago, I think, you said you ran 2x a week and one of your runs was 8-10 miles.  This could be likely a contributor to your IT band problems.  Overuse of the stabilizing muscles from longer distance running may be part of the problem.  How low long have you been running 2x a week at these distances?

I went back and checked you logs since November and you are a fairly sporadic runner.  You really should look at getting at least 3 runs in every week.  I would suggest using the bricks that we suggested earlier to get some of the extra mileage up.  Doing the shorter runs might allow you to keep some of the weekly mileage while reducing the stress on your IT band.  Try cutting your long run back by 3-4 miles and getting the the other runs at shorter, varying distances to get your weekly desired mileage. 

But I would first suggest you back the mileage down to 13-14 MPW to start for a couple of weeks before beginning to build back up to 18-20 miles across 3-4 runs per week.  I know you have a HM coming in a couple of weeks and if you would like to simply add one run per week until then so you can keep a longer run going it may not hurt you any more than you are already dealing with.  But as soon as that race is over I think you need to reduce the distance of that long run and begin something less stressful on your body.

2013-01-18 5:44 PM
in reply to: #4585019

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
DirkP - 2013-01-18 2:14 PM

Still doing C25K and gradually running more than walking. By the end of the month, I should be runnng the entire 30 minutes. Looking to do a 5K in March.

This sounds like you are doing well with your progression.  I am so glad you have been able to get back into a training regimen after your layoff.  Take your time and keep building slowly and you'll be in great shape for the March time frame.

And don't worry about who passes you anywhere.  There aren't any 70 year old men or women that are running faster than you that haven't been running for years and years.  I am equally certain that there aren't many 70 year old people that are running at all.

Don't worry. Goal #1 was to not care how slow I was. If you look at my logs right now I'm just keeping track of the minutes I run, not the miles. If I'm running 12 mph (or slower?) right now, I don't need to know about it. Goal is to run slowly for 30 continous minutes. Only then will I start looking at mileage again. I figure my speed with pick up on its own as I 1. lose weight and 2. slowly increase my volume.

I've been tempted to run faster and longer, but I won't because 1. I don't need to hurt myself (I'm heavier and no where near as fit- I need to be honest with myself. My achilles tendons will only take so much.) and 2. Motivation. Do I really want to get end every run frustrated? No. So I do what I know I can.

I don't have a gym membership anymore since I feel I can do everything either outside or at the free indoor track at a rec center (this is where me and all the senior citizen go ).  A little over a year ago, my husband & I got serious about some financial goals and the gym membership were one of the first to go (again, we live in an area where outdoor exercise is possible year round).

2013-01-18 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4583681

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
bhargavs - 2013-01-17 10:24 PM

A nice breakthrough in the pool today. I had a lesson with my coach and one of the things he made me do was to try and swim 25 meters as slow as possible and in no less than a minute. First try to go slow took me 45 secs and after 2 attempts I finally managed to slow down to a minute. He then asked me to swim normally and I just kept going. 100 meters at first and then 150m. I hadn't been able to go more than 50m at a time before this. I knew I had to slow down as many had suggested here before but it really took this radical effort to go as slow as possible to turn it around! Feel pretty psyched about it!

Bhargav congrats and great job, glad to see you had a breakthrough. You'll be building more distance in no time.

2013-01-18 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4583804

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Ran at the indoor track today and was lapped by an older gentleman wearing a shirt that said, "70 is the new 25". Love it. Hope I'm still out there and running when I reach that age.

This is too funny, I got a good laugh out of this one. I'd agree Jackie I would be very happy to be able to motor around the track at that age too!

2013-01-18 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4583965

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
wbayek - 2013-01-18 8:09 AM

Busy group.  This is a fly by visit as I've been offline for a while, hammered at work with a really crazy patch and my entire family is waxed by the flu bug that has hit our area.  My training is in the toilet, but I've tried a few times to get out and do something.  I guess it’s time to get to the doc and get some drugs since for 2 weeks my head and chest are totally screwed up, I sound like a seal at a convention, and I can’t seem to kick it on my own.

Lots of great stuff in the few posts I’ve read.  And no one catches Dirk, unless Dirk wants it to be so.

Warren sorry to hear about you and your family being sick. Hope you all are feeling better soon and I hope you can get back on track with your training soon.

2013-01-18 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4585065

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
DirkP - 2013-01-18 3:37 PM
jenbmosley - 2013-01-18 12:46 PM
dmiller5 - 2013-01-18 10:45 AM
jenbmosley - 2013-01-18 9:25 AM
KWDreamun - 2013-01-18 9:00 AM

Jen, be careful with the run.  I do understand about wanting to get the mileage in.  Tomorrow I'm supposed to get 12 in, even though I'm hurting (I lost my smart marbles too).  I've called trying to get a massage set up for today.

Try to get to the Tally 1/2 healthy!

Oh yea, registration opens for RedHills Monday at 4:00 pm, if I can help, let me know.

Karl-

I have scaled my mileage back like you would not believe. I used to run 4x a week, now, just twice a week. I am approaching the Tally HM with caution- my goal is to be carfeul and set my sights on the Albany HM in March.

Thats good! but I would consider keeping the frequency and shortening the runs to prevent injury. if you can help it your long run shouldn't be more than 1/3 of weekly mileage (general rule).

Good Lordy - I am so in violation of that rule of thumb at the moment. My knee is feeling pretty good right now and I have been sitting at my delightful desk all morning - until last week it would get stiff after a run and then sitting at my desk. The fact that I have no discomfort is pretty exciting. I am strangely psyched about it and kinda want to run (a short run) tomorrow. I'm not going to, but just knowing how good I feel right now tells me a lot.

I was going to say something similar to what David said already.   A few pages ago, I think, you said you ran 2x a week and one of your runs was 8-10 miles.  This could be likely a contributor to your IT band problems.  Overuse of the stabilizing muscles from longer distance running may be part of the problem.  How low long have you been running 2x a week at these distances?

I went back and checked you logs since November and you are a fairly sporadic runner.  You really should look at getting at least 3 runs in every week.  I would suggest using the bricks that we suggested earlier to get some of the extra mileage up.  Doing the shorter runs might allow you to keep some of the weekly mileage while reducing the stress on your IT band.  Try cutting your long run back by 3-4 miles and getting the the other runs at shorter, varying distances to get your weekly desired mileage. 

But I would first suggest you back the mileage down to 13-14 MPW to start for a couple of weeks before beginning to build back up to 18-20 miles across 3-4 runs per week.  I know you have a HM coming in a couple of weeks and if you would like to simply add one run per week until then so you can keep a longer run going it may not hurt you any more than you are already dealing with.  But as soon as that race is over I think you need to reduce the distance of that long run and begin something less stressful on your body.

Dirk- I didn't start using the BT log until December. Up till then I was using TriHard on my Android phone. Looking over my distances last year, I was averaging 15-20 miles a week, most weeks were between 17-18: comprised of 30 min interval run, a 45 minute fast finish run, a long easy run between 6-9 miles, and my last run was a 30-35 brick after a 70 - 90 minute bike. In November I took it down to 3 runs to train for Half and was still covering same mileage and then really backed off the last three weeks before the run and then got the stomach flu.. it had been almost 8 days since I had run and then it was race day. I hurt my knee the day of the Half almost a month ago at mile 9. It just tightened up. I finished fine, but it felt pretty tight the next few days. About a week later Karl showed me stretches. I thought I could wing it to New Year's by squeezing in a couple run here and there before e New Year's Half. I have been very careful since that run, or so I think I have.

My knee feels really good tonight, about 15 hours post run, tomorrow morning will be the real test. Thank you for the advice. I am going to apply it. My plan next week is to run Sunday morning (part of a brick), Tuesday (I will be giving up a swim), Thursday morning, Saturday morning (long run, maybe 6, won't push past 7).

I really do appreciate the straight forward, get your smart marbles back in your head kind of advice. Do you think it would be safe for me to tackle a 2or 3 mile run tomorrow? Or wait to do the brick on Sunday?

2013-01-18 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4584977

User image

New York

RunningYogini - 2013-01-18 3:00 PM People have completely lost their minds!  A dude was just arrested next an elementary school along one of my running routes carrying a 12-guage shotgun, wearing a tactical vest filled with ammo.  Apparently, he was walking to the courthouse to make a point about gun violence in schools!  What a nut job!  Jesus!  Thank goodness someone called 911 to report this guy.  There are no ducks or geese in this area and it would be a long walk to get to a good hunting spot.

Jeez...this is nuts. Glad everyone was safe. Scary.

And thanks all for your encouragement on the swim. I'm excited to get back to the pool and get farther!

2013-01-18 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Bike trainers? Got one? I am hoping to get a bike trainer over the next few days- will have to make the purchase via the Internet. I have read through the forums on gear reviews but a lot of the posts seem a bit dated. What do you have? What do you recommend? I do have a budget- I want to stay under $400. This will be my birthday present to myself. Yay! Once I get the bike trainer, I can get a 5:00 a.m. Workout in while my kids are still sleeping and when my husband is out of town working. This will also allow me to get in those extra runs I need during the week.
2013-01-18 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4585499

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jenbmosley - 2013-01-18 9:25 PM )

I really do appreciate the straight forward, get your smart marbles back in your head kind of advice. Do you think it would be safe for me to tackle a 2or 3 mile run tomorrow? Or wait to do the brick on Sunday?

I'm happy to know you are okay with straight up advice.  I am one that would much rather have straight to the point advice myself.  I hate having to try to take hints and pick up in little clues!  I don't understand why people aren't like me in that way, really.  Of course I understand everyone's different so I try not to get "in your face" much because sometimes it can be taken as a chewing rather than a concern or advice.

I think it best to wait until Sunday and make it a brick.  I think you could be asking for some trouble if you go ahead and get 2-3 miles in tomorrow.  If you have recently had problems an extra run the day after your long run may cause undue stress to already troubled areas.  I would definitely hit the bike, if you can tomorrow.  Cycling won't have any real impact on any of the impact related problems.

2013-01-18 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4584977

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

RunningYogini - 2013-01-18 3:00 PM People have completely lost their minds!  A dude was just arrested next an elementary school along one of my running routes carrying a 12-guage shotgun, wearing a tactical vest filled with ammo.  Apparently, he was walking to the courthouse to make a point about gun violence in schools!  What a nut job!  Jesus!  Thank goodness someone called 911 to report this guy.  There are no ducks or geese in this area and it would be a long walk to get to a good hunting spot.

I saw this earlier today and really didn't know what to say.  Now that I have had some time to think about it;  I know the point this guy was trying to make but it shows little intellectual, critical thinking ability in my mind.  I can rationalize why he might desire to do something like this to make his point but to actually follow through with it is very stupid.

In Indiana this clown may have been shot by a law abiding, concealed carry permit, gun carrying citizen for this action.  Were I the one walking near this guy I may have drawn down on him from a protected area and demanded he lay his gun and I would have stayed near him and waited on police to arrive.  Of course I would have hoped he would have complied with my demand to disarm himself.  If he didn't I would at least hope he wouldn't have pointed a gun in my direction or anyone else's for that matter.  I do not believe anyone should draw a weapon on someone without the intention of using it if required.

2013-01-18 9:55 PM
in reply to: #4585553

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

jenbmosley - 2013-01-18 9:13 PM Bike trainers? Got one? I am hoping to get a bike trainer over the next few days- will have to make the purchase via the Internet. I have read through the forums on gear reviews but a lot of the posts seem a bit dated. What do you have? What do you recommend? I do have a budget- I want to stay under $400. This will be my birthday present to myself. Yay! Once I get the bike trainer, I can get a 5:00 a.m. Workout in while my kids are still sleeping and when my husband is out of town working. This will also allow me to get in those extra runs I need during the week.

Cyclops 2 fluid trainer is great and in your price range

2013-01-19 12:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Cyclops 2 Fluid Trainer is nice.  I got mine from a trusted seller on ebay for 250 w/ no tax and free shipping... although I hate riding on a trainer... ha!  
2013-01-19 4:53 AM
in reply to: #4585554

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
DirkP - 2013-01-18 10:14 PM
jenbmosley - 2013-01-18 9:25 PM )

I'm happy to know you are okay with straight up advice.  I am one that would much rather have straight to the point advice myself.  I hate having to try to take hints and pick up in little clues!  I don't understand why people aren't like me in that way, really.  Of course I understand everyone's different so I try not to get "in your face" much because sometimes it can be taken as a chewing rather than a concern or advice.

I think it best to wait until Sunday and make it a brick.  I think you could be asking for some trouble if you go ahead and get 2-3 miles in tomorrow.  If you have recently had problems an extra run the day after your long run may cause undue stress to already troubled areas.  I would definitely hit the bike, if you can tomorrow.  Cycling won't have any real impact on any of the impact related problems.

Dirk-

Again - thank you and I mean it. Feel pretty good to day. On a scale of 1-10, my knee pain is about a 1, maybe 1.5. If walk like a regular person it does not hurt, but when I do IT band stretches, I can feel it just a little (slight tightness). Going to make it a rest day for running and will try to get a short bike in this afternoon.

I am volunteering as a finish line photographer at a 5k this morning and will be away from the husband and kiddos. **I am not a professional, I just a nice camera and volunteered.** The husband and kiddos would come too but it is too cold for my 2 and 4 yr old. I'll be gone till just after lunch - not sure my husband will be supportive of me taking off for a bike ride afterward. I will try, if even for a short one.    

Edited by jenbmosley 2013-01-19 4:54 AM
2013-01-19 4:58 AM
in reply to: #4585725

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer -- gonna check it out today.   

Edited by jenbmosley 2013-01-19 5:02 AM

2013-01-19 6:18 AM
in reply to: #4585727

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jenbmosley - 2013-01-19 5:58 AM

Check out the Kurt Kinetic trainers as well.  These trainers always get really good reviews in every commentary I've heard.  I don't own one (Tony does) but I would look at getting one when I need to quit using the one I currently have.

2013-01-19 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Jackie, great running! Love the t- shirt

Jen, .I hope your run is pain free, I got an email from tri sport the Kurt Kinetic is on sale for 369.00 I was thinking about getting this one seeing as I have a VERY generic trainer. The cycleops fuid2 is on sale also for 339.95

Tracy, good to hear you are over the flu hope that foot heals quick and you can get back out there running.

Dina, how's the basement and that new puppy?

Bhargavs, great breakthrough on your swim . It is alway a great feeling to feel good in the water.

Dirk have to agree with you on the honesty factor, I have lost employees because they couldn't take me being honest. That is one thing I have had to learn big time is how to choose my words so I don't offend.

Warren I hope you and your family is feeling better. So many people seem to be sick yesterday this woman came in to the salon and I started doing her nails and she proceeds to tell me she isn't feeling good (she looked terrible) and then she said she thinks she is going to throw up....I was thinking where is my mask and why didn't she stay home...ugh lots of hand sanitizer and emergen-cs

So I have been tracking my food for almost 2 weeks and as hard as I try I can't seem to meet my calories for the day like I said no wonder I burnt out for the IM. Iam adding more foods, trying to find lower fat higher calorie/protein/carb foods and I do have to say Iam feeling so much better, have more energy...and quite honestly feel fantastic! I even had a couple clients make comments, I must be giving off feel good vibes lol... My future daughter in law want to do the HIM with me in Syracuse, ( and yes i still ahve not signed up i am a little bit scared of DNFIng again) anyway...she is a runner but has never done a tri do you think I should talk her out of it and advise to do shorter distances first? Or do you think with help she will be ok? She is so excited and determined I don't want to discourage her.

Edited by Jo63 2013-01-19 7:09 AM
2013-01-19 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4585746

User image

Bronze member
DirkP - 2013-01-19 6:18 AM

Check out the Kurt Kinetic trainers as well.  These trainers always get really good reviews in every commentary I've heard.  I don't own one (Tony does) but I would look at getting one when I need to quit using the one I currently have.

I have a Kurt Kinetic too. Works great!

2013-01-19 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4585770

User image

Bronze member

Jo63 - 2013-01-19 7:01 AM Jackie, great running! Love the t- shirt Jen, .I hope your run is pain free, I got an email from tri sport the Kurt Kinetic is on sale for 369.00 I was thinking about getting this one seeing as I have a VERY generic trainer. The cycleops fuid2 is on sale also for 339.95 Tracy, good to hear you are over the flu hope that foot heals quick and you can get back out there running. Dina, how's the basement and that new puppy? Bhargavs, great breakthrough on your swim . It is alway a great feeling to feel good in the water. Dirk have to agree with you on the honesty factor, I have lost employees because they couldn't take me being honest. That is one thing I have had to learn big time is how to choose my words so I don't offend. Warren I hope you and your family is feeling better. So many people seem to be sick yesterday this woman came in to the salon and I started doing her nails and she proceeds to tell me she isn't feeling good (she looked terrible) and then she said she thinks she is going to throw up....I was thinking where is my mask and why didn't she stay home...ugh lots of hand sanitizer and emergen-cs So I have been tracking my food for almost 2 weeks and as hard as I try I can't seem to meet my calories for the day like I said no wonder I burnt out for the IM. Iam adding more foods, trying to find lower fat higher calorie/protein/carb foods and I do have to say Iam feeling so much better, have more energy...and quite honestly feel fantastic! I even had a couple clients make comments, I must be giving off feel good vibes lol... My future daughter in law want to do the HIM with me in Syracuse, ( and yes i still ahve not signed up i am a little bit scared of DNFIng again) anyway...she is a runner but has never done a tri do you think I should talk her out of it and advise to do shorter distances first? Or do you think with help she will be ok? She is so excited and determined I don't want to discourage her.

That is really interesting about the changes in your diet and how much better you feel. I have checked out the books Racing Weight and Sports Nutrition for Athletes from the library but I have not even opened them yet.

That is cool about your daughter in law to be! When is the HIM? Does she ride or swim at all? Is there a local sprint she could enter before the HIM just to see what it is like?

It is hard to say, I'll tell a story if you don't mind. A few years ago my training friend Tiff and I got hooked up with a young woman who had an IM on her bucket list. She wanted to start a family soon, now was the time. We met her in February, she did not own a bike and swam with her head out of the water, she did not know a thing about nutrition, pacing or training plans but she was a 3:20 marathon runner. I'll just go on record of saying we both thought she was CRAZY and did not know what she was signing up for.

We convinced her to enter a local sprint and a HIM before her big race but she was not going to before she met us. Well she learned to ride, had some swim lessons and of course ran like a machine. Her IM was in August, she finished the in 12 hours smiling the whole way. Now she has a little boy and one on the way AND her IM tattoo. She has not been on the bike or in the pool since that day .

So now I'm the last person to say what someone else can do!

2013-01-19 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Jo, if she is a runner she can probably adapt to the biking and swimming injury free if she has a good base.  Can she swim?  Can she bike or even have a bike.  That would be awesome if ya'll could both do it.  Then maybe next year ya'll could get the guys involved and have them join ya'll when they see how much fun ya'll are having.

I got a KurtKinetic trainer for Christmas and I wish I worked as good as it does.  I will say it is tough to do the workouts and thankfully it is warm most of the time down here so I have used it very little but it is HARD to do the spinervals.  Tony gave me the website of his bike shop and I got the KK for $239 and no tax and no shipping fees but by the time I added a mat and front wheel holder it was back to $339 i think.  I think the website is www.sunrisecyclery.com tell them Tony sent you and they may honor the price they sold it to me for.  They may not but all you can do is ask??? They sent it out the day I ordered it.

The massage just about killed me yesterday.  My legs are SORE from it.  She said I was on the verge of injury and have to go back next week for round 2 and even 3.  I'm supposed to run today but I just can't so I hope to get a short bike ride in and maybe a 1 mile brick run.

I want that t-shirt.  I feel 70 today, does that count...

2013-01-19 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4585770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Jo63 - 2013-01-19 8:01 AMJackie, great running! Love the t- shirtJen, .I hope your run is pain free, I got an email from tri sport the Kurt Kinetic is on sale for 369.00 I was thinking about getting this one seeing as I have a VERY generic trainer. The cycleops fuid2 is on sale also for 339.95Tracy, good to hear you are over the flu hope that foot heals quick and you can get back out there running.Dina, how's the basement and that new puppy?Bhargavs, great breakthrough on your swim . It is alway a great feeling to feel good in the water.Dirk have to agree with you on the honesty factor, I have lost employees because they couldn't take me being honest. That is one thing I have had to learn big time is how to choose my words so I don't offend. Warren I hope you and your family is feeling better. So many people seem to be sick yesterday this woman came in to the salon and I started doing her nails and she proceeds to tell me she isn't feeling good (she looked terrible) and then she said she thinks she is going to throw up....I was thinking where is my mask and why didn't she stay home...ugh lots of hand sanitizer and emergen-csSo I have been tracking my food for almost 2 weeks and as hard as I try I can't seem to meet my calories for the day like I said no wonder I burnt out for the IM. Iam adding more foods, trying to find lower fat higher calorie/protein/carb foods and I do have to say Iam feeling so much better, have more energy...and quite honestly feel fantastic! I even had a couple clients make comments, I must be giving off feel good vibes lol... My future daughter in law want to do the HIM with me in Syracuse, ( and yes i still ahve not signed up i am a little bit scared of DNFIng again) anyway...she is a runner but has never done a tri do you think I should talk her out of it and advise to do shorter distances first? Or do you think with help she will be ok? She is so excited and determined I don't want to discourage her.
I have the kurt kinetic road machine and love it, of course my legs despise it but that's the point! The only thing I don't like, and this may be the same with all trainers, is that there is no way to get back exactly to the same tension every time!

as for the HIM, I think it completely depends on current running status! If she has a good base there then the rest could fall in place, that's if she places some dedication into a plan and then follows it closely! A friend of mine started talking about wanting to do a Half ironman. I wanted to be supportive but also had concerns because he has not been able to run injury free for more than 2 months! He also has not completed a triathlon. So I gave him the link to the HIM plan and told him if he could follow it to the T he could finish. But also emphasized not to underestimate the swim. Eventually he decided it may be better to get fully healthy, build a base, do a sprint and then move up to a HIM.
2013-01-19 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
DirkP - 2013-01-19 7:18 AM

Jen I have Kurt Kenetic road machine and the bike computer which has a power meter and it is cheap. It only works with the KK trainers. Check out Sunrise Tri I know they have trainers on sale and Karl actually bought one from those guys. I can tell you I have bought quite a bit of stuff from them including my Cervelo P2 and my KK trainer and the KK bike computer and they have never done me wrong. The owner Frank is a really good guy and this place caters to triathletes. Karl will vouch for me.

2013-01-19 9:31 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2013-01-19 7:18 AM

I have to second this.  We have a couple Kurt Kinetic trainers and a cycleops fluid 2.  They are both very nice.  I like my KK and my wife likes the COF2.  I think the kurt is just a tiny bit more quiet.  But honestly, I don't think you would be able to tell if you had any other noise in the room at all.  

I had a nice run this morning with the pup.  She's getting so good on the leash, I'm so proud of her.  

2013-01-19 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4585683

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

pistuo - 2013-01-19 12:42 AM Cyclops 2 Fluid Trainer is nice.  I got mine from a trusted seller on ebay for 250 w/ no tax and free shipping... although I hate riding on a trainer... ha!  

Ok. Confession time. Hopefully I will not be kicked out of the group, but I sold my Cyclops 2 trainer on craigslist because I could not force myself to use it regularly. That being said, trainers are awesome if you use them. 2 years ago, I did Jorge's plan and some Spinervals DVDs...great stuff and convenient b/c I could do it right at home.

I admit, I'm a bit regretful that I sold it...but I used the cash to get my son a nice used BMX race bike which he uses way more than I ever used the trainer

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119