General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-06 1:10 PM
in reply to: jolinebean

User image

Yardville, NJ
Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by jolinebean

Originally posted by Mfechter67

Originally posted by jolinebean

welcome everyone! I have been remiss both in posting and keeping to my tri training schedule. I got busier with my job, and then an apartment search. I'm trying to stay positive and be proud that I got my long run/swin/bikes in, and just missed some of the shorter ones. I'm back on track this week, now that things have calmed down!

I also ran a 5k, and beat my time from the previous 5k by over a minute!

One of the things I have been debating is whether or not to get a wetsuit. My triathlon is in new jersey in July, so I imagine the water temp will be warm enough to swim without a wetsuit? But I'd like to get some open water swim practice in ahead of the tri, and I'm afraid the water may be too cold still for that. Any advice?

Great job on the 5K PR! well done!

Triathlons in NJ in July are arely wetsuit legal. My family is also doing the NJ State tri in July. We've been cometeing/volunteering for this race since 2007. I only remember 1 time in all those years that it was wetsuit legal. Last year the water was close to (if not over) 90 and people were complaining it was too hot! There are some good OWS opportunities in NJ. Check out ETA Swim Coach. they offer OWS at Camp Ochanichon in Medford. As a matter of fact, Randi and I are swimming there tomorrow. There also are swims at Peddie Lake in Hightstwon on some Fridays and Saturdays now thru September. Check out Hightstown Tri on FB.

Mike, I've been thinking about the ETA Swim Clinics -- do you think i could do them now (well, in a week or two) without a wetsuit?

Here is today's report from ETA on tomorrow's clinic...
Saturday June 7th Open Water Swim Info:
-Open Swim 6-10am
-Water Temp 70-72 and Air Temp 72-80
-We will have varied sized of XTERRA wetsuits for demo and sale!
See everyone in the morning and please share this with someone who might be interested!
Coach Jason Kilderry

2014-06-06 1:22 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Do Unicorns bath in this water Mike!?!?!? Where is there water over 70 already in the North East and that gets to 90 by July?!?!?!
2014-06-06 1:37 PM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Yardville, NJ
It's those NJ lakes. They probably glow in the dark too! We don't ask questions, we just swim
2014-06-08 8:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Apparently I've missed a couple of things:

I'd like to throw out a warm (and somewhat belated) WELCOME!!! to Jack, Kate and Dave...

And of course it's great to see Helen and Peter again (been missing Peter's wit)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About last week... twern't good... twern't good a-tall...

The only training I managed to get in were my runs on Tue, Thu, Sat... On Mon, I was still exceedingly sore from my TDC ride last Sat... I still couldn't lift either
arm over my head, and I had to use my left hand to push my glasses up all day. On Friday, I just simply could not find my swim suit *facepalm*. A family issue arose
on Thurs evening which prevented me from making the group ride, and to be perfectly honest, by the time saturday rolled around it was all I could do to run... I just
gave up on finding time to bike... I did manage to drop a couple last week, and I'm at 250.5. Hopefully a trip into the 240's is coming soon!

I did get my son to the bowling alley for 3 games of practice for me, and to work on his form. Need to keep this up, and his avg will jump again this year!

*note* I am doing everything in my power to avoid being that "A-hole coach dad". I'll be honest, when you've competed at some of the highest levels against
some of the best the sport has to offer, it gets frustrating when your offspring doesn't pick up on things as quickly as you (most likely incorrectly) remember yourself
doing...

Just for kicks...

The first game was simply warm-up and the second game pic won't upload (Jacob shot 198), but here is the third game. In this game I give the best example
of how to take a great game and make it a good game... Pay attention to the last 3 frames *facepalm*

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-06-08 9:01 AM

(Bowling 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bowling 3.jpg (1396KB - 4 downloads)
2014-06-08 8:57 AM

User image

Double - Post

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-06-08 8:59 AM
2014-06-08 5:22 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Apparently I've missed a couple of things:

I'd like to throw out a warm (and somewhat belated) WELCOME!!! to Jack, Kate and Dave...

And of course it's great to see Helen and Peter again (been missing Peter's wit)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About last week... twern't good... twern't good a-tall...

The only training I managed to get in were my runs on Tue, Thu, Sat... On Mon, I was still exceedingly sore from my TDC ride last Sat... I still couldn't lift either
arm over my head, and I had to use my left hand to push my glasses up all day. On Friday, I just simply could not find my swim suit *facepalm*. A family issue arose
on Thurs evening which prevented me from making the group ride, and to be perfectly honest, by the time saturday rolled around it was all I could do to run... I just
gave up on finding time to bike... I did manage to drop a couple last week, and I'm at 250.5. Hopefully a trip into the 240's is coming soon!

I did get my son to the bowling alley for 3 games of practice for me, and to work on his form. Need to keep this up, and his avg will jump again this year!

*note* I am doing everything in my power to avoid being that "A-hole coach dad". I'll be honest, when you've competed at some of the highest levels against
some of the best the sport has to offer, it gets frustrating when your offspring doesn't pick up on things as quickly as you (most likely incorrectly) remember yourself
doing...

Just for kicks...

The first game was simply warm-up and the second game pic won't upload (Jacob shot 198), but here is the third game. In this game I give the best example
of how to take a great game and make it a good game... Pay attention to the last 3 frames *facepalm*

Great job on the weight loss. I love those weeks when you lose but didn't stress over trying to lose. I see 240's in your near future!

Excellent on the bowling. I once shot over 200, but that was for 3 games... With bumpers...

2014-06-08 5:34 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Randi and I were able to get in a solid weekend of training. The weather was beautiful and the schedule accommodating.

Saturday we went to an OWS session. I logged in 1.6 miles (based off my new Polar V800). It was not all in one swim though. There are some shallow spots at the start of the loop, so I was able to grab some rest (and chat with fellow triathletes) in between loops.

Today we did a bike/run brick. I logged over 25 miles on the bike. The first 13 was at a slower pace and included a stop for an equipment issue with Randi's bike. On the 2nd half I opened it up a bit and was able to average almost 18mph for the last 13. Then off the bike and ran 3.1 miles at 11:20/mile. Had some spots where I just had to walk it out, but overall it felt good.

I am thrilled to no end with the new Polar V800 watch. I've never had anything lie, this and just relied on iPhone apps. It's really cool and gives an incredible amount of data. Which is great for a tech junkie like me.

2 weeks to my next Tri. Can't wait!
2014-06-08 8:21 PM

User image

Hello everyone, can I join?

NAME / username: Dave / Ecs49

STORY: Was an athlete in HS and went to college on a wrestling scholarship, HWY of course. Since then I have bounced around weight but consistent in the 270's. Whenever I hit the 280's I usually go on a workout bing but haven't seen the 250's in a long time. Found out about Tri's from a friend and became very interested (I love to have a goal). Tried to do the strict running thing but it was never for me, instead basketball, Racquetball, and things like that were more up my ally. Problem with both running and the sports have been injuries, I have torn my Achilles tendon, calf muscle and many other injuries. Love that by adding biking and swimming I am able to stop the pounding on my legs. Now that I have done my first Tri I am officially hooked and while I know I will never be "elite" I do have ambition to be able to place in the clyde divisions.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, ages 4 and 2

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training for an Olympic distance in Aug with another sprint thrown in at the end of June

2013 RACES/ results Sprint Tri- 1:27 was the time, set PR in the 5k at 26.25, realized I needed some severe biking help when I realized how slow I was going compared to others.

2014 plans and RACES: At least 2 more sprints and an Olympic

WEIGHTLOSS: Began the training at 285, most recent weigh in was over a week again at 264. I think I have a mental block because I haven't even wanted to check my weight because hitting the 250's makes me nervous (as in I really wanna hit it and if I haven't I may be discouraged)

My biggest strength in this is the fact I know how to train hard and push myself, being a former wrestler and current wrestling coach I often push myself and others to that breaking point. Weakness is that I can lose interest, especially if the amount of effort is not showing up the weight department. I should and do know that weight isn't a huge deal and that body fat % in much more important, but the holy grail of the 250's and more so the low 250's has always escaped me. I am not used to going into things knowing that I am going to "lose", so the placing in the clyde division is what I use to motivate. I was 7th out of 15 in my first tri, not bad but not great. I am willing to put in the time and effort to reach these goals and would love to chat with other like minded individuals.

Also worth noting in the positive and I guess also negative department is my wife is awesome. Not only at being a wife but also in endurance sports. Since we have been married I basically "win" all types of contest. In short burst and sports its not close, but my wife destroys me in these. She just finished a marathon, she teaches spinning classes and swam in HS. In her/mine first tri she finished 2nd in her age group without putting much thought into it. One day I would love to at least compete with her, it can be annoying/frustrating as she laps me in the pull or blows by me on the run. Luckily she is super encouraging (even though I am sure she likes whipping me LOL)
2014-06-09 5:51 AM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by ECS49

Hello everyone, can I join?

NAME / username: Dave / Ecs49

STORY: Was an athlete in HS and went to college on a wrestling scholarship, HWY of course. Since then I have bounced around weight but consistent in the 270's. Whenever I hit the 280's I usually go on a workout bing but haven't seen the 250's in a long time. Found out about Tri's from a friend and became very interested (I love to have a goal). Tried to do the strict running thing but it was never for me, instead basketball, Racquetball, and things like that were more up my ally. Problem with both running and the sports have been injuries, I have torn my Achilles tendon, calf muscle and many other injuries. Love that by adding biking and swimming I am able to stop the pounding on my legs. Now that I have done my first Tri I am officially hooked and while I know I will never be "elite" I do have ambition to be able to place in the clyde divisions.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two kids, ages 4 and 2

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training for an Olympic distance in Aug with another sprint thrown in at the end of June

2013 RACES/ results Sprint Tri- 1:27 was the time, set PR in the 5k at 26.25, realized I needed some severe biking help when I realized how slow I was going compared to others.

2014 plans and RACES: At least 2 more sprints and an Olympic

WEIGHTLOSS: Began the training at 285, most recent weigh in was over a week again at 264. I think I have a mental block because I haven't even wanted to check my weight because hitting the 250's makes me nervous (as in I really wanna hit it and if I haven't I may be discouraged)

My biggest strength in this is the fact I know how to train hard and push myself, being a former wrestler and current wrestling coach I often push myself and others to that breaking point. Weakness is that I can lose interest, especially if the amount of effort is not showing up the weight department. I should and do know that weight isn't a huge deal and that body fat % in much more important, but the holy grail of the 250's and more so the low 250's has always escaped me. I am not used to going into things knowing that I am going to "lose", so the placing in the clyde division is what I use to motivate. I was 7th out of 15 in my first tri, not bad but not great. I am willing to put in the time and effort to reach these goals and would love to chat with other like minded individuals.

Also worth noting in the positive and I guess also negative department is my wife is awesome. Not only at being a wife but also in endurance sports. Since we have been married I basically "win" all types of contest. In short burst and sports its not close, but my wife destroys me in these. She just finished a marathon, she teaches spinning classes and swam in HS. In her/mine first tri she finished 2nd in her age group without putting much thought into it. One day I would love to at least compete with her, it can be annoying/frustrating as she laps me in the pull or blows by me on the run. Luckily she is super encouraging (even though I am sure she likes whipping me LOL)

Dave,

Welcome! Glad to have you!

Sounds like you've caught the Tri bug, and that's a good thing. Having a training partner is a great thing. My wife and I train together and push each other. Sometimes it just the kick in the butt you need. Great job on the first one. As you train more you'll get faster and find ways to cut time. I'm doing my first Olympic in Aug too, so we'll train together virtually.
2014-06-09 9:50 AM

User image

Seems like we are on similar paths which is cool.

Couple things, when it comes to training plans, I have been bouncing around trying to find one I like and that I feel I am getting enough. Will be interested to see how our plans differ same during the week.

My plan today 2000m Swim, 30 Min run - Swim is broken up into different sets of course, run is just a straight 30 min run

BTW: their is no push each other with my wife, thats the point i'd like to get too. Right now I lag in basically every phase
2014-06-09 10:10 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
I've pieced together my own hybrid training plan from several BT plans. I imported the bike training from a 70.3 plan, since I'm doing the bike leg of the Princeton 70.3 in September. I'm using the swim and run from an Oly plan targeting my race in Aug.

So this week:
Mon - 60min zone 2 bike, 30min zone 2 run
Tues - 30min easy spin bike, 2800 swim (500 WU, 1000 time trial main set, some 50's and cool down)
Wed - 50min run (30 min time trial)
Thur - 30min bike (very easy, recovery), 1800 swim(easy, recovery, some drills)
Fri - off day!
Sat - 60min bike (LT test, assess fitness), 20min run brick, 1700 swim form drills
Sun - 75min bike (endurance), 40 min run (endurance)

Since I've mixed 2 plans together, I do find days that are overloaded, so I'll shift things around a bit. My biggest struggle is fitting in all the workouts. There just aren't always enough hours in the day. It's tough balancing work, home, kids, social and training. Most of the time I need to get up at 5am and try to squeeze in as much as possible before work.

2014-06-09 11:43 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Had a great Saturday "tune up" for my tri on the 22nd. Did the quarter mile swim in 8:10 then the bike in 41mins but that was a group ride preview pace. Felt great and now can't wait for the tri to get here already, going to focus on my running this week and practicing transitions. Great work to everyone over the weekend!!!
2014-06-09 1:57 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Had a great Saturday "tune up" for my tri on the 22nd. Did the quarter mile swim in 8:10 then the bike in 41mins but that was a group ride preview pace. Felt great and now can't wait for the tri to get here already, going to focus on my running this week and practicing transitions. Great work to everyone over the weekend!!!

Great job! Sounds like your in good shape for this race! You've got this!
2014-06-09 5:12 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member

WFF - the bowling stats you posted look like my stats for 9 holes of golf. If my bowling score was my golf score & vice versa, I'd be worth millions!

Why is it that we feel "nervous" as we lose weight and get closer to our goal? I feel that mental block too - is it something in our heads that doesn't want us to succeed or let us win?

Welcome Dave!

It's so nice to see everybody's training stats and even though we're having our ups & downs, we're still plugging away and gittin' it done!

Bike riding & strength training seems to be the flavour of the month for me. I'm still feeling motivated to ride to work & back, although today's ride home will be perfectly timed with a severe thunderstorm (possibly). My office is starting to get awfully dark and I can't leave for another hour

2014-06-09 7:45 PM

User image

Diablo?
What are you racing on the 22nd? anything West/Central Mass or N. CT?

Also are you planning on riding that QR you have for sale or have you already upgraded?

• for me, felt good for the first time in a few weeks.
    yesterday 1 mile fun run with the kids - what a blast!
    Today - ran 4.1 locally and felt GREAT!

Edited by Clarkey77 2014-06-09 7:46 PM
    2014-06-09 7:51 PM
    in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Here is my plan this week

Mon- 2000 yd - 30 min run

Tues- 1500 yd - 25 mile Bike

Wed- 45 min Run

Thurs- 1000 yd 25 M Bike

Fri - Off

Sat 60 Min Run

Sun - 40 Miles Bike- possibly a short jog afterwards and or walk

As far as goal weights, IDK, I am sure a psychologist could break it down for us, but yea I panic when I start getting close. To go along with that, I weighted myself today after the weekend, up 2 lbs. Then proceeded to have a super crappy swim, followed by a not very good run.

I have some choice words for this Monday

2014-06-10 12:26 PM
    in reply to: Helen120

User image

Originally posted by Helen120

WFF - the bowling stats you posted look like my stats for 9 holes of golf. If my bowling score was my golf score & vice versa, I'd be worth millions! 

A buddy of mine took me golfing once. I love to brag that I shot a 79 on my first time out... It usually takes a few minutes for people to correctly guess that it was a 9-hole course... hehehe
    2014-06-10 12:57 PM
    in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
    Originally posted by Clarkey77

Diablo?
    What are you racing on the 22nd? anything West/Central Mass or N. CT?

Also are you planning on riding that QR you have for sale or have you already upgraded?

• for me, felt good for the first time in a few weeks.
    yesterday 1 mile fun run with the kids - what a blast!
    Today - ran 4.1 locally and felt GREAT!

I'm doing the Oh My Goddard sprint tri at Goddard State Park in Warwick RI (just outside of Providence) Only about an hour and change from Worcester(not sure where you are located), they are running a sprint and Olympic the same day. Heres the link if your interested:

http://www.trimomprod.com/races/oh-my-goddard/

No the QR is on the rack till it finds a new home, I got a killer deal a few months back on an 08 Trek 2100zr Road Bike. At this point in my racing, my results are not going to be made or lost from the aero position so I chose comfort (and for me better speed) than aerodynamics. Next year or over the winter I will begin to look for a deal on a properly fitted tri bike as I hope to move into Olympic distance and maybe even become more competitive in the sprint distance.

Running my first 10k Friday night and am excited after the gym last night where I learned at 5.5mph I feel as if I could run all day now. HR averaged 119 for the 30min run and breath was never tough or labored. While I would love to bang out the 9min miles I have gotten my 5k to I'll be happy just to run the whole 10k even if it is a 13min mile.

Have a great week everyone and Clarkey let me know if your are going to come out for the OMG
    2014-06-10 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    slower you go or the longer you go the more I think comfort is important. Why I am riding my roadie in my next triathlon.

2014-06-10 4:38 PM

User image

Going to make a slight alteration in my schedule. I was planning on running the Mighty Mite Sprint in Forrest City, AR on July 19 and then one in Heber Springs, AR on Oct 5...

I think it would be better for my first year (and rehabbing my (bleep)ing leg) to allow a little more time between races. TBH, I don't want to do too much and have too many PR's to break next year :P. SO... I'm going to meet in the middle, and run the Riverbluff (formerly known as the NashVegas) Sprint in Ashland City, TN (Nashville). I picked this one so we can make a weekend of it and visit family. As an added bonus Start 2 Finish Events run Sprint, Olympic and HALF IRON distances at this event. To me that makes it a good event to grow with .
    2014-06-11 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

He all. I have been AWOL for a bit. I have been trying to keep up with the e-mail notifications.

Welcome all, What a great group of folks we have here!

I spent 5 days in Brown county Indiana at a women's mountain bike clinic with three other BT ladies. What fun times. Holy Hell, some of those women scare the chit out of me, learning how to ride over a picnic table!!!! I learned some, and practice a lot of skilz that I need to. Now I need to re-focus on tri training. I am horribly behind for my upcoming races. The run I understand, with my foot injury, but there is no excuse for the swim lack. I own a wet suit and I live on a lake!

The good news is this weekend I have my first metric century ride EVER! That should be some good bike training. It will hurt thought, I need to have a bike fitting, my shoulders hurt and my toes go numb when I ride more than about 12 miles. I need to find a bike fitter who takes large, old ladies seriously.

2014-06-11 9:08 AM
    in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    Back on the wagon so to speak. Back is feeling pretty good no real pain anymore. I finally got my bike handlebars retaped. I got new tired with gatorskins inside of them. I figure they might be slower but if I am going 13 to 15 mph little less speed will not hurt me at the moment.

I am excited now I am officially switched to the sprint. I emailed the race because same time I am a little freaked out. My worse tri time for a sprint is 3:15 (my best oly time is 3:30 so I have improved at one time.) I figured right now I am about 2:30 at the most of the sprint. Well you either get 3:45 minutes or maybe as little as 1:30 depending on when your wave goes off. I hoping to find out either I am in a earlier wave or the last wave goes off way sooner than I fear. Either way I might be racing the clock which would not be good for me in my current shape.

Other good news day 3 of counting cals and weight is falling off again. I just need to train more in the day. I just having issues getting motivated after I get home and if I go to bed early to train I just end up sleeping that whole time.
    2014-06-11 1:36 PM
    in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Thoughts on Lava pants?

I am considering it because I dont have a wetsuit and to be honest the thought of wearing one doesn't make me happy. If the lava pants really do act as a pull buoy I would think my swim would be dramatically more comfortable and faster. I would also train in these, which may look a smidge funny at the pool but nothing like a wetsuit.

Thoughts?
    2014-06-11 1:46 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    sound just like swim johns. Basicly have a wetsuit. I would not use them in training. Better off learning to swim better in practice and then have awesome time in races.

Why do you not like wetsuits?
    2014-06-11 1:52 PM
    in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Well my thought is a wetsuit I am literally never going to use outside of a race. These I believe are more of a training tool that is helpful like a wetsuit come race day
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
    Views: 28163 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
    Views: 100350 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
    Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : August 26, 2011
    author : Nancy Clark
    comments : 1
    Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
    date : March 21, 2007
    author : acbadger
    comments : 2
    Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
    author : Ontherun
    For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
    date : November 27, 2005
    author : Rich Strauss
    Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
    author : JeremyLikness
    comments : 9
    Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
    date : September 19, 2004
    author : Michael
    I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
    author : Ron
    What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?