BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-06-01 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL
Good morning, Manatees!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Lynn, how was your relay?

Stacie how did those bike rides go? When you do a 60 mile ride, where do you ride? When training for my HIM, I had to do the same 25 mile route until I rode for 4 hrs. Or either do it on the trainer when the weather was too bad. I hope you have a cool 30 mile out & back.

Lauren, I hope your knee is doing ok & it gets treated soon.

Beth, nurse that stress fracture. Swimming is cool. 3 months will be over before you know it.

My back was worse than ever over the weekend. Yesterday was the worst. Dh & I tried to walk on the beach. I thought that might stretch it out. But it just got worse & worse so we turned around after 20 minutes and I limped back slowly. I started taking Aleve & Tylenol alternately and that is giving me some relief.

Today is not so bad. My MRI is at noon and My chiro said he'd have the results by tomorrow. That will make a difference in the way we treat it. After not doing anything all week with the exception of a couple of walks, I'm anxious to get moving. Hopefully, I'll at least get to swim & bike later during the week.

Happy Monday to everyone and have a great training day!

Cathy

2009-06-01 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2185810

User image

Master
Vista, CA

mammatri's - 2009-06-01 6:10 AM Good morning, Manatees!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Lynn, how was your relay?

Stacie how did those bike rides go? When you do a 60 mile ride, where do you ride? When training for my HIM, I had to do the same 25 mile route until I rode for 4 hrs. Or either do it on the trainer when the weather was too bad. I hope you have a cool 30 mile out & back.

Lauren, I hope your knee is doing ok & it gets treated soon.

Beth, nurse that stress fracture. Swimming is cool. 3 months will be over before you know it.

My back was worse than ever over the weekend. Yesterday was the worst. Dh & I tried to walk on the beach. I thought that might stretch it out. But it just got worse & worse so we turned around after 20 minutes and I limped back slowly. I started taking Aleve & Tylenol alternately and that is giving me some relief.

Today is not so bad. My MRI is at noon and My chiro said he'd have the results by tomorrow. That will make a difference in the way we treat it. After not doing anything all week with the exception of a couple of walks, I'm anxious to get moving. Hopefully, I'll at least get to swim & bike later during the week.

Happy Monday to everyone and have a great training day!

Cathy

Oh, Cathy -- I'm sorry about your back. Hope you do find out what it is so you can treat it appropriately.

As for my relay -- it was really FUN! I ran the 3rd leg, which was supposed to be 7.9, but ended up to be 8.4 miles. No biggee. I had a 38 mile harder bike ride on Sat so this was a training run. And, I still ran pretty well. I highly recommend any relay run by the Rock and Roll Elite racing peeps. Very well organized and lots of aid stations along the way and ran with some really great people. I do think a full marathon is in my future! For a blow by blow check out my log. I won't bore you with it here.

Happy Monday ya'll.

Lynn

2009-06-01 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2184109

Subject: RE: Bike help
kentiger - 2009-06-01 8:02 AM I'm not one of the Manatees so I hope you don't mind me chiming in on the matter. At 5'2" (my wife's height) I can say, emphatically, that a SMALL anything off the store floor will NOT fit you. The reach will be way too long..and if you wanted to add aeroabrs you are surely looking at dangerous handling. You should get nothing larger than an XS in any bike frame and likely nothing larger than a 49cm (if they're measuring that way) depending on torso length. You were a pretty smart cookie to not BUT it outright. Save the money if need be and make sure you get the right size..you'll have way better results and enjoy riding a lot more with the right fit.

Thanks so much for chiming in! I will take advice anywhere I can get it. As a matter of fact, I have a list of LBS that I'm going to hit today. Sometimes, I just get excited and intimidated and jump into purchases too quickly. This is also why I never ever go car shopping, lol.

2009-06-01 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2186693

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by wgraves7582 2009-06-01 12:20 PM
2009-06-01 12:30 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
Lauren - wise advise given on the bike.   I am so glad I did so much shopping and fitting before deciding on "Sweet Ruby C"!  She rides like a dream!   Ask lots of questions, make sure you get a good fitting by someone with real cycling experience and don't feel pressured!

Lynn - sounds like so much fun!   I have commented to several of my friends that I would be up for a Tri relay sometime.  I think it would be a blast to have a team effort.

Cathy- so sorry about your back.  I hope they figure it out soon.   My dh struggles with back issues all the time.

TR - I am with you on the dentist!   I have always loved having my teeth cleaned.   Can't say I have ever fallen asleep in the chair though!      Do you have any pics of your stuff for sale?

Art - glad to see you around...and I won't say a thing about the speed issue!!

Bill - I bet your bike "deal" was because he liked you!   Hey, what is there not to like??  I tried to "stand up" on a hill yesterday and it didn't feel at all safe!   I sat down again and worked HARD to get to the top!

Stacie - I am waiting to hear about that 60 mile ride too!   I can't even imagine going that far right now!  I think you are in much better shape than I am!

Well, I am hoping my training goes better this week.  I didn't get much swimming in with all the ranch stuff going on.   I did a brick yesterday...well, kind of.   I didn't get much of a run in because my body just quit from lack of nutrition.   I realized I just can't train with no fuel.

An outdoor pool opened today that is only 30 miles away so that will help, along with the fact that they have 3 different adult lap times M-F and one on Sat/Sun.    I plan to go tonight at 6pm...but for now I am out the door to help sort cattle.  We have lots of sorting to do this week in prep for a big branding this weekend.     I logged my cowboying time last week as 'rodeo' but that doesn't really fit.   Maybe this week I will use "equestrian" instead!   I do figure it is worth something toward my training/fitness goals though.

Later....Sharie

p.s. if I missed someone, it wasn't intentional...but the guys and horses are waiting for me....gotta get!
2009-06-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2186774

2009-06-01 2:15 PM

Champion
AFTERNOON MANATEES.

ahhhh.  i *heart* taper weeks.

my 150 mile Odyssey starts at 7:30 am THIS Saturday....

and all my training rides are officially over.

thanks for asking about the 60 miler.  it actually got whittled down to 45.  the group i was with was new to me, and slower paced.  but actually worked out for the best. i  went into the ride not feeling 100%  still a bit YUCKO since my UGLY run that Thurs.....

i really needed a ride like that, and the slower pace afforded me some time to talk and get some to know some new folks.  we had lunch together.  nice.

turns out some of them will be joining me at the MS150. 

it will be nice to now at least a few more of the 1600+ riders....

i rode the next day - 22 miles - a complete leg burner, beginning to end.

i dropped my chain twice, which i was actually happy about, cuz now i know i can put it back on if it happens out on the 150...

thing is, i took my bike to the LBS for a final look over yesturday. 

here there was something WRONG w the chain (i thought i was being a shifting doofus again, and thats what was making the chain drop...)  they replaced it completely.

curious to see what a difference having a new chain will make.  im assuming having a 'faulty' chain would make one slower, right??  hmmmmmm.

SO GLAD they discovered the problem BEFORE i headed out on the 150....can you imagine? 

though i know that the ride is VERY well supported, and they have bike-tech all along the course, stocked w spare tubes, tires et al.  i doubt anyone would have had a spare chain, specific to my bike in the back of their truck.

soooooo.....

this is a nice, easy, take it slow kinda week for me...havent had one of those in a LONG while.  gonna sink down and throughly enjoy the easy workouts and days off.

i SOOOO deserve it, all the hard work i put in to prepare, I'M READY TO RIDE!

ONWARD!
stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-06-01 2:18 PM
2009-06-01 2:22 PM

Champion

CATHY.  im so sorry your back was the worst its been this weekend.  hopefully you'll have some answers tomorrow and great plan of treatment to help you move forward.  heal well.

LYNN.  wooo hoooo on your marathon relay leg.  i had the BEST time doing mine in PGH.  they are really a fun way to do a a marathon.

SHARIE.  60 miles sure does seem like a lot doesnt it?  when i started my MS150 trng plan back mid-March, i thought theres no way in heck im gonna be able to ride 50-60 miles

....but then you just gradually work your way up to that distance. 

then, when you've reached this point, after slowly working your way up in mileage, you think, WOW i made it, one ride, one pedal stroke at at time.

incremental progress is an amazing thing, isnt it?

JUST KEEP PEDALING
stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-06-01 2:27 PM
2009-06-02 7:27 AM

2009-06-02 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2185810

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: photos posted...
...in my profile. ;-)

Since several of you asked for pics.

The necklaces: hand-made in Uganda by a women's income generating group ... gorgeous gorgeous beads, and there are 2 styles of necklaces ... shorter 3-strand (as seen in the second pic) and longer 1-strand. They are $20 each.

As for tshirts - there are 3 styles. Each has the swirly-Africa on the front and a quote on the back. There is no rhyme nor reason for which shirt has which quote on it - it's completely random. Shirts are $35.

Ladies boat-neck: Organic cotton, 3/4 length sleeves, scoop "boat" neck. VERY comfortable! Everyone that has bought one comes back to buy a second, they are that comfy. Colours are pink, purple, light blue, black, green, brown, in S M L

Ladies baby-t: (look a LOT better on than they do in the pic!) ... cotton, short little sleeves, scoop neck. Very flattering, actually. 2 colours, baby blue and black. M only

Dude shirts: cotton, black, blue, maroon, orange, brown. S M L XL

The quotes are:

“If we are to teach real peace in the world, if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to start with the children.”
-Gandhi

“peace. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no chaos, trouble, or hard work. it means to be in the midst of these things, and still be calm in your heart.”
- Unknown

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
-Dr. Suess

“Be aware of what is in you. Announce it, pronounce it, produce it, and give birth to it.”
- Meister Eckhart

So if anyone's interested in helping to fund build schools and birthing centres in Uganda - let me know! You can make an online donation directly to the charity and I'll put a shirt or jewellery in the mail!
2009-06-03 10:37 AM

Veteran
Thibodaux
Hey, Manatees!

I just came from the chiro's office. I have some bulging discs, but they're not too bad. They probably were caused by trauma I experienced in a ski accident I had in Jan. I have to say that he said my MRI was very pretty for someone who is 50. I have very few degenerative changes.

Now we start decompression therapy for the next 4 weeks. I'll have 20 treatments. I was instructed to to take it easy with my activities until the DCT is done. I can take easy walks and start some easy swims, then progress to biking and running.

I should be able to expect full recovery after that and just maintain with monthly visits.

I hope eveyone is doing well having fun working towards their goals.

Cathy

Edited by mammatri's 2009-06-03 10:38 AM

2009-06-03 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2191824

2009-06-03 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2192173

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: injuries and multisport training
What is it with our little group? Backs, knees, stress fractures - ACHILLES - folks, finally finally finally after 10 years of problems post-tear, I am getting some answers with my Achilles! It's getting quite bad again, the lump has gotten so huge it's restricting my range of motion and the type of shoes I can wear, and the pain is unbelievable - it's started spasming at the strangest times, I think as it's relaxing, but it hurts like a bugger!

I went to my Naturopath with the intention of setting up a further treatment plan - physio, ultrasound, whatever has to be done as I can't take this anymore. Of course he's supportive (he's always marvelously supportive no matter what) and I should start getting some answers next week.

Wooo hooooo ... Achilles tendinosis no more!

I think this is nuthin' - I triathlete in my area is currently training AND kicking cancer's arse ... she's an inspiration. Here I am complaining about one little tendon.

I hope everyone else is healing and feeling well.

2009-06-03 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2192173

Champion
wgraves7582 - 2009-06-03 12:31 PM

mammatri's - 2009-06-03 11:37 AM Hey, Manatees!

I just came from the chiro's office. I have some bulging discs, but they're not too bad. They probably were caused by trauma I experienced in a ski accident I had in Jan. I have to say that he said my MRI was very pretty for someone who is 50. I have very few degenerative changes.

Now we start decompression therapy for the next 4 weeks. I'll have 20 treatments. I was instructed to to take it easy with my activities until the DCT is done. I can take easy walks and start some easy swims, then progress to biking and running.

I should be able to expect full recovery after that and just maintain with monthly visits.

Cathy

Better news than it could have been right?  Hope the recovery and decompression goes well!

I thought everyone was on a vacation day today?

Howdy Manatees

x2 what Bill said, Cathy.  i hope all goes well....at least we have plan moving forward.

and Bill,
no vacation today. 

wish it was though.

stacieb
2009-06-03 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2192732

Champion
Subject: RE: injuries and multisport training
SpiritFire - 2009-06-03 2:33 PM What is it with our little group? Backs, knees, stress fractures - ACHILLES - folks, finally finally finally after 10 years of problems post-tear, I am getting some answers with my Achilles! It's getting quite bad again, the lump has gotten so huge it's restricting my range of motion and the type of shoes I can wear, and the pain is unbelievable - it's started spasming at the strangest times, I think as it's relaxing, but it hurts like a bugger! I went to my Naturopath with the intention of setting up a further treatment plan - physio, ultrasound, whatever has to be done as I can't take this anymore. Of course he's supportive (he's always marvelously supportive no matter what) and I should start getting some answers next week. Wooo hooooo ... Achilles tendinosis no more! I think this is nuthin' - I triathlete in my area is currently training AND kicking cancer's arse ... she's an inspiration. Here I am complaining about one little tendon. I hope everyone else is healing and feeling well.

TR.  here's to plan moving forward for YOU too.

keep us updated.

when i did the tri for my friend, who had his leg amputated, his injury certainly put my injury in perspective.  these are little things [though still important] comparitively.

heal well.
stacieb
2009-06-03 3:11 PM

Champion
16.5 miles by the lake.  just a simple little shake down before the epic journey commences on Saturday.

i gots me a new cyclocomputer.

man is that a niffty little gadget.

turns out ive off on all my rides that ive done by the lake, mileage-wise, to my advantage.  ive been going longer than i thought, which means ive been training faster than i thought, all this time.

wee hee!
stacieb

2009-06-03 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2192888

Master
Vista, CA

CAthy -- Glad you have a treatment plan moving forward. And, I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

Bill -- You are the go to guy on all things cycling, I do believe. What's your opinion on trying to  put aerobars on a roadie vs. getting a tri-bike (probably a used one).

I know we're the manatees, but I want you to scroll down and you'll see what was swimming in La Jolla cove moments before I put my toes in the water....

This was not Sea World mind you. This is open water swimming. They rarely come into the cove, so it was a huge treat to see them. Wow. Not sure how I would have reacted had I been nose to bottle-nose with them. There were three and I watched them go from the caves near the shore, across the swimming and kayaking lanes out to the kelp beds and then (I imagine) open water. Very, very cool. Just wanted to share.

Stacieb--- Have a great time on that Century and 1/2!

Lynn

2009-06-03 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2193351

2009-06-03 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2191824

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
mammatri's - 2009-06-03 11:37 AM Hey, Manatees!

Cathy

Cathy  - that is awesome news!

2009-06-03 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2188973

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: photos posted...
SpiritFire - 2009-06-02 10:42 AM ...in my profile. ;-) Since several of you asked for pics. The necklaces: hand-made in Uganda by a women's income generating group ... gorgeous gorgeous beads, and there are 2 styles of necklaces ... shorter 3-strand (as seen in the second pic) and longer 1-strand. They are $20 each. As for tshirts - there are 3 styles. Each has the swirly-Africa on the front and a quote on the back. There is no rhyme nor reason for which shirt has which quote on it - it's completely random. Shirts are $35. Ladies boat-neck: Organic cotton, 3/4 length sleeves, scoop "boat" neck. VERY comfortable! Everyone that has bought one comes back to buy a second, they are that comfy. Colours are pink, purple, light blue, black, green, brown, in S M L Ladies baby-t: (look a LOT better on than they do in the pic!) ... cotton, short little sleeves, scoop neck. Very flattering, actually. 2 colours, baby blue and black. M only Dude shirts: cotton, black, blue, maroon, orange, brown. S M L XL The quotes are: “If we are to teach real peace in the world, if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to start with the children.” -Gandhi “peace. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no chaos, trouble, or hard work. it means to be in the midst of these things, and still be calm in your heart.” - Unknown “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” -Dr. Suess “Be aware of what is in you. Announce it, pronounce it, produce it, and give birth to it.” - Meister Eckhart So if anyone's interested in helping to fund build schools and birthing centres in Uganda - let me know! You can make an online donation directly to the charity and I'll put a shirt or jewellery in the mail!

TR

Great Pics - thank you for sahring

how would we pay you?

2009-06-03 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2192888

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
skrtrnr - 2009-06-03 4:11 PM 16.5 miles by the lake.  just a simple little shake down before the epic journey commences on Saturday.

i gots me a new cyclocomputer.

man is that a niffty little gadget.

turns out ive off on all my rides that ive done by the lake, mileage-wise, to my advantage.  ive been going longer than i thought, which means ive been training faster than i thought, all this time.

wee hee!
stacieb

new toys....always fun

2009-06-03 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2193351

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
lmscozz - 2009-06-03 7:20 PM

CAthy -- Glad you have a treatment plan moving forward. And, I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

Bill -- You are the go to guy on all things cycling, I do believe. What's your opinion on trying to  put aerobars on a roadie vs. getting a tri-bike (probably a used one).

I know we're the manatees, but I want you to scroll down and you'll see what was swimming in La Jolla cove moments before I put my toes in the water....

This was not Sea World mind you. This is open water swimming. They rarely come into the cove, so it was a huge treat to see them. Wow. Not sure how I would have reacted had I been nose to bottle-nose with them. There were three and I watched them go from the caves near the shore, across the swimming and kayaking lanes out to the kelp beds and then (I imagine) open water. Very, very cool. Just wanted to share.

Stacieb--- Have a great time on that Century and 1/2!

Lynn

absolutely amazing Lynn!

thank you for sharing

2009-06-03 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2193397

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: photos posted...
lastcall2003 - 2009-06-03 4:48 PM

SpiritFire - 2009-06-02 10:42 AM ...in my profile. ;-) Since several of you asked for pics. The necklaces: hand-made in Uganda by a women's income generating group ... gorgeous gorgeous beads, and there are 2 styles of necklaces ... shorter 3-strand (as seen in the second pic) and longer 1-strand. They are $20 each. As for tshirts - there are 3 styles. Each has the swirly-Africa on the front and a quote on the back. There is no rhyme nor reason for which shirt has which quote on it - it's completely random. Shirts are $35. Ladies boat-neck: Organic cotton, 3/4 length sleeves, scoop "boat" neck. VERY comfortable! Everyone that has bought one comes back to buy a second, they are that comfy. Colours are pink, purple, light blue, black, green, brown, in S M L Ladies baby-t: (look a LOT better on than they do in the pic!) ... cotton, short little sleeves, scoop neck. Very flattering, actually. 2 colours, baby blue and black. M only Dude shirts: cotton, black, blue, maroon, orange, brown. S M L XL The quotes are: “If we are to teach real peace in the world, if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to start with the children.” -Gandhi “peace. it does not mean to be in a place where there is no chaos, trouble, or hard work. it means to be in the midst of these things, and still be calm in your heart.” - Unknown “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” -Dr. Suess “Be aware of what is in you. Announce it, pronounce it, produce it, and give birth to it.” - Meister Eckhart So if anyone's interested in helping to fund build schools and birthing centres in Uganda - let me know! You can make an online donation directly to the charity and I'll put a shirt or jewellery in the mail!

TR

Great Pics - thank you for sahring

how would we pay you?

Weeellll ... I was thinking - if anyone is so inclined, they can make a donation straight through Off The Mat Into The World and their online donation form (and thereby getting a tax receipt, as well) ... then PM me your address and your desired shirt style/colour/size/quote and I'll pop the stuff in the mail to you!

Here's the link: http://www.offthematintotheworld.org/sevachallenge

Click on the Donate Now button at the bottom - and follow the instructions!

** VERY IMPORTANT!! ** Please make sure you select my name from the pull-down menu after the Uganda Seva Challenge Prompt (I'm the only Trina-Rae in the Challenge - go figure.;-)

If anyone has any questions on sizing - I'm 5'6 and about 150 (see previous posts about my weight issues, ick), and a large boat-neck fits me great, maybe a little tight. The girly t's would fit me perfect if I were 10 lbs lighter.
2009-06-03 7:46 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: It's hot ... it's sooooooo hot ...
I just want to share ... we're in the midst of a heat wave. The first of many, to carry us through our drought-stricken summer season. I never get that - I live on an Island surrounded by water - yet we are so dry that we have to shut down entire towns due to water shortages. But the first is always exciting - summer's really here!

It is currently about 95 (I think - in Canadian it's 32.4, so whatever that works out to) in my den ... my living room is a chilly 30.2 ...

Outside - about the same. The ocean has never been more inviting. ;-)

I can't think, it's so hot. Yet I love it. I think I truly was meant to live somewhere tropical. ;-)

The dog and the cat, however, have different opinions. The cat's been under the bed since Monday and only comes out at night ... the dog is a long-haired double-coated Belgian Shepherd and I don't think I've ever seen him more miserable. At least he's smart enough to lay in front of the fan.

It's too hot to run. It's too hot to bike. I can only swim. And as luck would have it - that's all my Achilles will let me do anyways. ;-)
2009-06-04 3:10 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59