BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-05-02 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
Since I'm kind of going run focused for the next months I wanted to get 10 miles in this last week and I ended up at 12 miles. Since Feb I have been very slowly getting my time per mile rate down. I'm at about 12:30/mile right now. This week I want to get 12-15 miles in. Going to swim and run today.

2010-05-02 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Accidentally did some speed work (running) on Saturday, then 30 miles on the bike (2 sets of 15miles interrupted by the Kentucky Derby).  Pushed hard on the first 15, but took it easy on the way home.

I know I said I wasn't going to run today and Monday to recover, but a friend was going to run part of segment 2 of the Colorado Trail and I couldn't pass it up.  2.5miles into it I realized I just didn't have any gas left, let him go on and I turned back, got the 5 miles in and took the rest of the day off to try to recover.  Planning on getting some good sleep tonight and getting back to training tomorrow.

Here's some pictures from the trail today, before the snow came in... yes snow in May...

2010-05-02 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2831773

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-02 7:08 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
Fred:

I saw in another post on the main triathlon board you mentioned to someone about their long run being too large a percentage of their total weekly volume.  The person had said:

"Usually a 10-12 mile long run, one other 60 minute run, and a 30 minute run after a 90 minute ride sometime during the week." 

Now assuming a 10min/mile (easy math), he'd have ~28-30mpw, 10-12 for the long run makes it ~30% of his weekly volume.  What kind of percentage would you think is more ideal? 15-20%? or something lower?  20% doesn't seem that high if you have a 10mile day and 50mpw = 20%, if you do 15miles and 55mpw = 27%.  Would you say the percentage can be a bit higher as your mpw increase?  Even at 50mpw with a 10mile long run, you have 40miles over 6 other days... 6.6miles/day, 10miles isn't THAT long in comparison.
2010-05-02 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2831893

Edited by PennState 2010-05-02 7:18 PM
2010-05-02 7:22 PM

Edited by PennState 2010-05-02 7:23 PM

2010-05-02 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2831922

Expert
Thornton, CO
PennState - 2010-05-02 6:22 PM As an aside, I am still slowly building my run back up. Today I ran just over 12 miles and had 33+ for the week, 12/33 = 36%. So I am definitely pushing the upper limit myself and have to be very careful I really believe triathletes get into a lot of trouble here (as compared with runners) as they often run only 3 times per week and have a very long run in the mix of those 3 runs. They easily get into the 50% plus zone, and guess what? Running injuries are really common in triathletes! In my anecdotal opinion, this and rapid increases in weekly mileage and speedwork with the base are the major killers to the running triathlete.

Completely agree.  I know I can sometimes go out and make my long run too long for the week.  I'm trying to get more consistent on my durations/distances (I track distance for myself, not duration.. but the benefits of each might be a good topic to cover here as well).  But like this week, I know that 19miler I did last Sunday was more than just 'pushing the limit' for myself since the rest of my week I continued and have felt the cumulative fatigue continue to grow throughout the week.  I know SOME fatigue is good, but I know that 19miler was beyond what I should have probably done.... but it was an AWESOME trail ;-

At the same time a large portion of my runs have become on some difficult terrain, so perhaps I should start taking the duration into account more than I do now?

2010-05-02 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2831687

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-05-02 3:49 PM good training weekend for me. Anyone else?
\

I had a pretty good run yesterday and spent two hours on the trainer today.  I signed up for the MS 150 today.  My brother, aunt and second cousin all have MS.  My brother was a fantastic athlete and the progression of MS has now put him in a wheelchair.  I can't imagine what it is like for him but what I can do is help to raise money with the hope that maybe someday they will find a cure for this. My brother has two small children and since it is more then obvious that MS has a genetic link, at least in my family, his children could be at risk for MS as well. All the more reason to get out and ride. Sitting on the bike for that long is going to take some getting used to. Ouch
2010-05-02 8:43 PM

Expert

That is are some absolutely beautiful pics! abd i cant believe snow in May....

Anyone hear anything about Chris yet and if he is ok??

2010-05-02 8:50 PM

Expert
Any one heard from Chris?

Ran 2.5 miles and swam a quick 1000 yds today. I'm going to keep my distance at or under 5k at a time for the next few weeks and then start to add distance slowly over the summer. I hope to be able to run 10 miles at once by the end of the summer. All I really need to do is double my distance on the swim and that shouldn't be that difficult as swimming has become fairly easy at a 2 min/100 yd pace. If I could do that on my 1/2 IM, I would be happy. I'd also like to get my bike up to about 17-18 mph avg over 56 miles.

Hope everyone had a great weekend working out and living life.
2010-05-02 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2832080

Master
Redlands, CA
Hey guys, I'm alive and well now.  Last night I wasn't doing too hot but it didn't kill me.  My achilles was fine, my asthma was fine.  Although I was grossly untrained I didn't think that beat me either, but more training would have helped.  Thanks for all the messages through the week, they helped me get as far as I got.  Unfortunately that was about 16 miles too short.

I'm still pretty bummed out, my wife is trying to tell me the positives, buts its still pretty painful that I didn't finish.  I think in a way its important that it does hurt.

Here's the race report I posted in the IMSG thread:

I woke up just fine, didn't really have any nerves for it being my first IM event; well I did days before but race morning I was fine.  I even slept on the bus to the swim.

Finished the swim just fine, a little slower than I wanted (1:49), I had to stop behind a buoy and use my inhaler (no biggie), stopped and sighted too much but the water wasn't too cold for me and I exited fresh.

Started the bike, immediately ate a Clif Bar, 2 GU's, and some Gatorade.  At about mile 22 I felt a tad bit off, half the food I ate would come up.  At the second loop I stopped eating and drinking which seemed to fix it.  The hills killed me, but I think they killed everyone else.  At about 4:30 and the winds started.  On the descent into St George I almost went down from a gust while going 45 mph.  That was sketchy.  My goal was to get off the bike fresh and my legs did feel good, not great, but ready to run.

I got off the bike and started the run.  I started cramping really bad and my lower back would just tighten up in pain; like someone put it in a vise grip.  When I tried to run it would get worse.  The plan then was to walk it off until it went away.  I tried everything at the aid stations, chicken broth, gatorade, coke, chips, it wouldn't go away.  Finally after 10 miles I saw an EMT, they told me I was dehydrated and I was sent to the med tent.  Being carted off the course was pretty humiliating, the driver didn't say a word to me, just asked for my bib and chip, and the racers were waving at me on the course.  I really don't wish it upon anyone.

When I got to the med tent tent, the volunteer told me they weren't seeing anyone.  I really didn't know what to do after that because at that point I really wasn't feeling good at all.  People were congratulating me on the race but telling them I did not finish put me in tears; good thing I had my sunglasses on.  I tried to walk back to my hotel, realized I wasn't going to make it, and laid down on a bench in front of a store, still in the same clothes I was running in.  I didn't want to talk to anyone, see anyone, I just wanted to be alone.  

I have no idea how long I was there but finally a nice local family asked if I was okay and I asked them to contact my wife on their cell.  She picked me up, got my bike and wetsuit and we left.  When I got to the room the cramps kept me up all night, they went away around 10 am today.  I still haven't slept.

2010-05-02 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2832115

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
furiousferret - 2010-05-02 7:57 PM Hey guys, I'm alive and well now.  Last night I wasn't doing too hot but it didn't kill me.  My achilles was fine, my asthma was fine.  Although I was grossly untrained I didn't think that beat me either, but more training would have helped.  Thanks for all the messages through the week, they helped me get as far as I got.  Unfortunately that was about 16 miles too short.

I'm still pretty bummed out, my wife is trying to tell me the positives, buts its still pretty painful that I didn't finish.  I think in a way its important that it does hurt.

I woke up just fine, didn't really have any nerves for it being my first IM event; well I did days before but race morning I was fine.  I even slept on the bus to the swim.

Finished the swim just fine, a little slower than I wanted (1:49), I had to stop behind a buoy and use my inhaler (no biggie), stopped and sighted too much but the water wasn't too cold for me and I exited fresh.

Started the bike, immediately ate a Clif Bar, 2 GU's, and some Gatorade.  At about mile 22 I felt a tad bit off, half the food I ate would come up.  At the second loop I stopped eating and drinking which seemed to fix it.  The hills killed me, but I think they killed everyone else.  At about 4:30 and the winds started.  On the descent into St George I almost went down from a gust while going 45 mph.  That was sketchy.  My goal was to get off the bike fresh and my legs did feel good, not great, but ready to run.

I got off the bike and started the run.  I started cramping really bad and my lower back would just tighten up in pain; like someone put it in a vise grip.  When I tried to run it would get worse.  The plan then was to walk it off until it went away.  I tried everything at the aid stations, chicken broth, gatorade, coke, chips, it wouldn't go away.  Finally after 10 miles I saw an EMT, they told me I was dehydrated and I was sent to the med tent.  Being carted off the course was pretty humiliating, the driver didn't say a word to me, just asked for my bib and chip, and the racers were waving at me on the course.  I really don't wish it upon anyone.

When I got to the med tent tent, the volunteer told me they weren't seeing anyone.  I really didn't know what to do after that because at that point I really wasn't feeling good at all.  People were congratulating me on the race but telling them I did not finish put me in tears; good thing I had my sunglasses on.  I tried to walk back to my hotel, realized I wasn't going to make it, and laid down on a bench in front of a store, still in the same clothes I was running in.  I didn't want to talk to anyone, see anyone, I just wanted to be alone.  

I have no idea how long I was there but finally a nice local family asked if I was okay and I asked them to contact my wife on their cell.  She picked me up, got my bike and wetsuit and we left.  When I got to the room the cramps kept me up all night, they went away around 10 am today.  I still haven't slept.

Hey Chris!
As I mentioned in the other thread, I am so sorry to hear about your day!!!  We were all  thinking of you and wishing you the best. I don't understand how a med tent wouldn't see you. I just think that that is horrible. Isn't that what they are there for.. to help people?  It certainly sounds like you gave it your all!!  I hope after time, you can be proud of that. We are proud of you!!   Feel better!!

Edited by Kath2163 2010-05-02 9:07 PM
2010-05-02 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2832125

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-05-02 10:02 PM
furiousferret - 2010-05-02 7:57 PM Hey guys, I'm alive and well now.  Last night I wasn't doing too hot but it didn't kill me.  My achilles was fine, my asthma was fine.  Although I was grossly untrained I didn't think that beat me either, but more training would have helped.  Thanks for all the messages through the week, they helped me get as far as I got.  Unfortunately that was about 16 miles too short.

Finished the swim just fine, a little slower than I wanted  (1:49), I had to stop behind a buoy and use my inhaler (no biggie), stopped and sighted too much but the water wasn't too cold for me and I exited fresh.

Hey Chris!
As I mentioned in the other thread, I am so sorry to hear about your day!!!  We were all  thinking of you and wishing you the best. I don't understand how a med tent wouldn't see you. I just think that that is horrible. Isn't that what they are there for.. to help people?  It certainly sounds like you gave it your all!!  I hope after time, you can be proud of that. We are proud of you!!   Feel better!!

I know nothing we say will make you feel better, but you accomplished a lot.  Over time you will realize that!

2010-05-02 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2832125

Master
Redlands, CA
Kath2163 - 2010-05-02 7:02 PM

Hey Chris!

Thanks Kathleen. 

I think the med tent confused me as a finisher who wanted an IV.  It was pretty full, and I think alot of people were showing up just to get rehydrated.  

The volunteers over the radio were referring to dnf's as 'such and such doesn't want to finish'  which I find funny, because someone doesn't train a year for a race and just decides not to finish.  Most of the time their bodies won't allow it.  I was in so much pain I thought my kidneys were shutting down.  
2010-05-02 11:22 PM
in reply to: #2832282

Master
Redlands, CA
kenj - 2010-05-02 8:49 PM

I know nothing we say will make you feel better, but you accomplished a lot.  Over time you will realize that!

Thanks Ken.

2010-05-03 1:03 AM

Expert
Chris,

It was so cool throughout the day as everyone checked in on how you were doing. We were so excited to see you progress through each timed segment. Sitting at home we had no idea how difficult the course was or what it was doing to people. Out of the 7 people that I was following from Phoenix, 3 dnf'd. They trained hard and prepared for it and it still wasn't in the cards for them.

We are so proud of what you accomplished and I know it is disappointing for you but we are not at all. We are all inspired by what you undertook. Your dedication to your training and the fact that you didn't quit. You didn't mentally quit, your body just wouldn't do what you wanted it to. I want to be 180 pounds but my body just doesn't seem to be doing it for me . Hold your head high that you chose the hardest IM in history as your first and someday soon you'll be an IM finisher.

We are so very proud of you,

Todd

2010-05-03 1:21 AM

Expert
I don't know if anyone wants to see photos of an overweight person but I have put up a before and after (4 months) photos on my training log. I took a picture when I first started working out and one today. I still have about 20 pounds to go but I'll get there slowly. I can't believe I lived like that for so many years. Not ever again.
2010-05-03 6:33 AM

2010-05-03 6:34 AM
in reply to: #2832366

2010-05-03 6:35 AM

2010-05-03 11:14 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
Chris - thanks for posting your story and I'm sorry for the disappointment you are feeling right now.  Also REALLY sorry you didn't get the help it sounds like you needed from the med tent.  Having volunteered at the IM finish before, I know I've taken a lot of people to the med tent where were in really bad shape.  It's frustrating when someone's speech is slurred and they can't stand up on their own and they aren't focusing on you with their eyes... and then you have a dude drinking a beer and laughing with his friends asking if he can get an IV.  No jerface - get out of the way for this dude coming through!!!

2010-05-03 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2832366

Master
Millersville, MD
phxphotog - 2010-05-03 2:21 AM I don't know if anyone wants to see photos of an overweight person but I have put up a before and after (4 months) photos on my training log. I took a picture when I first started working out and one today. I still have about 20 pounds to go but I'll get there slowly. I can't believe I lived like that for so many years. Not ever again.

I love before/after pics.  It's been a long term goal of mine for some time to be able to post my own... I'm waiting until my abs show up to do it.

Congrats on your progress.  I'm sure you can FEEL the difference in training/racing too.  Just think how much better it will keep feeling if you keep losing... that helps me make better food choices big time.
2010-05-03 11:55 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
For those who were considering a Cobb saddle, there is a group buy going on at slowtwitch.  Not sure if the 6-month guarantee applies in such a case (it might, but I don't know), but wanted to give a heads up.

2010-05-03 1:11 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi all - I'm finally back from Wildflower, I got back late last night and crashed right when I got home. I'm going to get caught up on what went on over the weekend now and then I'll write up a race report!
2010-05-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2831283

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
dharris13 - 2010-05-02 8:56 AM

I just sent this to Fred...but here is a brief race report as i am too lazy right now to really write one. here are the impotant (to me) details.

It went amazing!! I am still trying to wrap my head around how i did so well..and i cant come up with how. I PR'ed the swim by almost 2 minutes...and PR'ed the run by almost 10 minutes. The course was HARD HARD. I really just cant understand how i did so well for myself. I Beat my 70.3 PR time by 1 min 37 seconds on by far the hardest course i have done.
Swim: 37:56
Bike: 3:07:48
Run: 1:48:54
Transition times were in top 5% of all finishers.

Overall i went 5:38:23
Top 20% of all finishers.

Thank you everyone for your help and support!!

Congrats on a great race! You probably ran by me around mile 7.5 in the campgrounds, I was at the Golden Gate Tri club cheering station most of the afternoon on Saturday. Way to tough it out in the heat! 
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121