BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-07-19 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2988020

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED!
QueenZipp - 2010-07-18 11:48 AM

Interesting conversation with the USAT official at todays race.  She said the most DQ's happen as aresult of not fastening the chin strap on the bike helmet or unfastening it before you are dismounted.  After that it's people who mouth off to race officials/ volunteers.

Saw 2 people come in with ipods from the run but the USAT official didn't catch them so no penalty.  Man, that is a pisser.  It was hot as all get out, I'm sure having music helped mentally but it is clearly a violation of the rules.

My friend got a penalty this weekend for "position" on the bike.  She wasn't drafting or passing on the right or anything like that, so she thinks it might have been because she was too far to the left when there was no one around her?  I knew that was a rule, but didn't know they actually assessed penalties for it!

2010-07-19 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2991462

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2010-07-19 9:58 PM So I did my race yesterday and came back today... Then immediately went for a recovery run & beer Tongue out

Wow, I think that was the hardest thing I've ever done!  I've heard people say that marathons are harder than HIM's, but I'm a much better runner than cyclist so I thought this was harder!  But I hit all my expected time goals (they weren't really goals... just estimations of how I thought I'd do based on training) and coincidentally I got almost the exact same time for my half marathon split as I did for my first half marathon race last September!  So that definitely means I'm a stronger runner since I'm the same speed as before even after the swim and bike. 

I'll take the time to post a more detailed report sometime this week.

Up for this week & after: lots of recovery swimming and yoga.  I'll resume marathon training this weekend.  I'm thinking of doing an Oly August 8 just for the heck of it, then focus on a 5k open water swim race Sept 11.  I also wanted to do a fall century ride, but the 2 main ones I was looking at are on Sept 12 and Sept 26.  Neither of those days really work out... Sept 12 is the day after my swim race; it's also the day of IMOO, and I wanted to go up to Madison that weekend to cheer people on and volunteer (Neal if I go, I'll make you a sign!)  Sept 26 is 2 weeks before my marathon, so doesn't sound like a good time to do my first century.  We'll see if I can find one to do in August or October, otherwise I may have to wait until the spring!

Nice job, Missy!  I am impressed that your run split was so close to your standalone.  That means you paced the bike real well and didn't cook your legs.  It took me 4 tries to run a HIM half mary within a couple of minutes of my PR (my first HIM I was about 30 minutes off).
2010-07-20 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
yogachic - 2010-07-19 9:58 PM So I did my race yesterday and came back today... Then immediately went for a recovery run & beer Tongue out

Wow, I think that was the hardest thing I've ever done!  I've heard people say that marathons are harder than HIM's, but I'm a much better runner than cyclist so I thought this was harder!  But I hit all my expected time goals (they weren't really goals... just estimations of how I thought I'd do based on training) and coincidentally I got almost the exact same time for my half marathon split as I did for my first half marathon race last September!  So that definitely means I'm a stronger runner since I'm the same speed as before even after the swim and bike. 

Up for this week & after: lots of recovery swimming and yoga.  I'll resume marathon training this weekend.  I'm thinking of doing an Oly August 8 just for the heck of it, then focus on a 5k open water swim race Sept 11.  I also wanted to do a fall century ride, but the 2 main ones I was looking at are on Sept 12 and Sept 26.  Neither of those days really work out... Sept 12 is the day after my swim race; it's also the day of IMOO, and I wanted to go up to Madison that weekend to cheer people on and volunteer (Neal if I go, I'll make you a sign!)  Sept 26 is 2 weeks before my marathon, so doesn't sound like a good time to do my first century.  We'll see if I can find one to do in August or October, otherwise I may have to wait until the spring!

Congrats on you HIM finish!! Thats awesome having a great running during yor HIM! 
2010-07-20 11:12 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Way to go!! Can't wait for the RR!
2010-07-20 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2991465

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
disturbed275 - 2010-07-19 9:59 PM
QueenZipp - 2010-07-17 6:06 PM I'm fighting a lack of mojo these days.  I think it's a combination of issues.....fear of pushing too hard after how sick I was. Dealing with the heat and humidity that have engulphed the area.....I have no energy to go hard and find myself opting for the trainer & tready for comfort and "safety".  Any suggestions?

In your case I don't think I would put safety in quotes.  Your coming back from that nasty respiratory stuff exercising outside right now probably isn't the best option.  Hit the trainer and tready and if some more enjoyable weather comes along head out then.

As far as finding mojo goes, that usually comes unexpectedly for me.  I'll go through points in the season where I am despising one (or more) of the sports.  Biking in the early spring when I'm sick of the trainer and rides out in the cold are no fun.  Running right now when I overheat in a mile and suffer the rest of the way.  Swimming coincidentally right now too since I've put in a lot of volume since last fall without much of a break.  For me, it help to have the IM to look forward to and know I need to get the workouts in.  Usually I will skip (the swim today) or scale back the sport that's irritating me at the moment and after a couple of suffering through lackluster workouts something clicks and I remember why I like the sport again and I get past my funk

Thanks....I think it's mostly the heat & humidity are zapping me of any joy training.  I usually love to run and am feeling like I couldn't slog if my life depended on it.  Sad thing is it has even robbed me of joy on my bike though the shorter rides this week made me happy....I do want to take a long ride though....after the race this weekend I will do something long again just cause it seems to be a happy place.

Debating about carrying my own fluids given the temps/ humidity factor.  Supposed to have water stops every mile on the run but it's all city running so the pavement will be HOT and I may want more.
2010-07-20 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
yogachic - 2010-07-19 7:58 PM So I did my race yesterday and came back today... Then immediately went for a recovery run & beer Tongue out

Congratulations on your impressive race result!  Sounds like you did an awesome job.  Looking forward to reading the race report...

2010-07-21 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2770190

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Question.....how much of your own bike mechanic stuff do you all do? 

I have thought my rear derailleur was not quite right for a while but was still having no problems changing gears.  When I headed out tonight I thought the rear derailleur was only going into a few of the gears.  Half way through the ride it stopped working.  I was stuck in a single speed.  When I got to the last hill headed into my neighborhood the front one wouldn't switch to the small ring (needed to give the legs a rest!!)  so I had to walk it up a hill that I normaly ride.

I have a bike maintenance video but am hesitant to monkey to much with things cause my mechanical skills are limited to things like trouble shooting ventillators and iv pumps from all my years in critical care.

So, the road bike is headed to Performance to let them sort it out....I am glad I have the tri bike for my race this weekend.

2010-07-22 6:20 AM

User image

I do a lot of the simple stuff but have not had much luck adjusting the derailleurs I usually end up making it worse so I just taking it to the bike shop for adjustments. I have lucked up a few times and got them shifting smooth.
2010-07-22 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2996059

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
QueenZipp - 2010-07-21 7:27 PM

Question.....how much of your own bike mechanic stuff do you all do? 

I have thought my rear derailleur was not quite right for a while but was still having no problems changing gears.  When I headed out tonight I thought the rear derailleur was only going into a few of the gears.  Half way through the ride it stopped working.  I was stuck in a single speed.  When I got to the last hill headed into my neighborhood the front one wouldn't switch to the small ring (needed to give the legs a rest!!)  so I had to walk it up a hill that I normaly ride.

I have a bike maintenance video but am hesitant to monkey to much with things cause my mechanical skills are limited to things like trouble shooting ventillators and iv pumps from all my years in critical care.

So, the road bike is headed to Performance to let them sort it out....I am glad I have the tri bike for my race this weekend.

I do quite a bit of my own.  I've become quite comfortable adjusting the derailleurs when shifting starts to go south.  This in itself has saved me many trips to the LBS.  I have also changed out pedals, cranks, rear cogs, brakes, headset, and bottom bracket.  The only thing I haven't been comfortable doing was changing out the cabling, which I took to the shop this year to do.
2010-07-22 7:29 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
How did you learn how to do it?  Is that one of those things you just read the package directions and go?
2010-07-22 8:36 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I watched and actually assisted a little with the bike repairs tonight.  THe cable was snapped for the rear derailleur.  Makes sense why I was stuck single speed for darn sure!

2010-07-22 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2996724

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
QueenZipp - 2010-07-22 7:29 AM How did you learn how to do it?  Is that one of those things you just read the package directions and go?

I have watched online videos and have a copy of Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance that has been helpful.  After that it was just getting over the fear of really messing something up and trying things.  So far I have yet to screw up anything majorly
2010-07-23 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2999059

User image

Veteran
QueenZipp - 2010-07-22 8:36 PM I watched and actually assisted a little with the bike repairs tonight.  THe cable was snapped for the rear derailleur.  Makes sense why I was stuck single speed for darn sure!

I learned how to adjust my rear derailleurs from a video that was on BT. I actually didn't know what a barrel adjust was until I watched that video. That is the extent of my mechanical skills right now. I do eventually want to learn more. When you go to the bike shops, normally the bike mechanic is nice enough to educate you a little about the problem you are having and how to fix it.
2010-07-23 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Whats everybody up to this weekend?

I have a sprint triathlon in Wacounda, IL on sunday. So a nice easier workout is in store for me tommorrow.
2010-07-23 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
I've wanted to learn more about bike-mechanic stuff as well. Neal, do you recommend the Zinn book?  I was thinking of buying it months ago, but then I keep buying running books instead Wink  I feel like I should learn more about the mechanical parts of the bike so that I'm not so helpless!  I barely know how to change a flat (and it takes me forever to do)!

As for this weekend.  I have a 12 mile run w/my marathon group tomorrow.  Hoping to get a swim in after brunch as well.  Sunday might just be another yoga and/or swim day... Not sure how long I should continue "recovering" before getting back into heavy training.
2010-07-23 11:21 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I have an Oly on Sunday.  Predicted to be over 100 degrees out there.  Yuck....wish it was inside out and I could swim last to cool off!

2010-07-23 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3000074

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2010-07-23 10:48 AM I've wanted to learn more about bike-mechanic stuff as well. Neal, do you recommend the Zinn book?  I was thinking of buying it months ago, but then I keep buying running books instead Wink  I feel like I should learn more about the mechanical parts of the bike so that I'm not so helpless!  I barely know how to change a flat (and it takes me forever to do)!

As for this weekend.  I have a 12 mile run w/my marathon group tomorrow.  Hoping to get a swim in after brunch as well.  Sunday might just be another yoga and/or swim day... Not sure how long I should continue "recovering" before getting back into heavy training.

The Zinn book is good.  Very detailed and covers everything you can think of, and a lot of stuff you can't.  The only drawback is that it relies on descriptions and pictures and sometimes those aren't enough.  That's where youtube comes in handy.
2010-07-23 7:27 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Good luck this weekend racers!

I am leaving for RAGBRAI tomorrow, a 7 day, 500 mile trek by bike across the state of Iowa.  Should be a fun week, but unfortunately I will be out of touch with you all during that time.  I hope everyone has a great week.  I'll look forward to catching up when I return!
2010-07-25 1:22 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Waiting for splits but the race wasn't as bad as I thought.  Finished the swim without getting fished out of the river, that was a positive.  Long and NASTY transition to the bike.  (lay out of the course has it over a pebble path, up a flight of stairs then 2 blocks to the bike area). LOVED the ride today, kicked serious booty.  T2 wasn't that bad.....Run course SUCKS!  City running is the pits!  No shade, Several flights of stairs......however, they passed out wet sponges around mile 2 and those were wonderful things.  Walked a lot of the run to keep the HR controled and from overheating....
2010-07-25 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Great job Judi!  I can't imagine racing in those temperatures.

Happy to hear the race went as planned for you!
2010-07-25 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Hey guys,

Finally coming up for air with work.  My sister and I decided to do a sprint relay race this weekend. She has never done a race.  I did the swim and bike, she did the run. We placed 2nd overall which was awesome . . . 8 second behind first, arrrggghhh!!!

I still don't know that I am totally recovered from the half aquabike a few weeks ago, but it went well today. Swim was long, bike went better than I expected.

Wauconda Sprint Triathlon

2010-07-25 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2999575

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Aw man, now I am mad I haven't been on the site in a few days. We could up met up and met.

Sorry about that. How did you do? What are your thoughts on the race.  I liked it. Well organized.
2010-07-25 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3003088

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Congratulations on the race and getting back into it.

Stairs during a race just doesn't sound like fun . .  as if your quads need that!!!
2010-07-25 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3003337

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Hey Scott - just looked at results and saw that you placed 1st in your age group, 10th overall. 

Great race

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
2010-07-25 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3003088

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
QueenZipp - 2010-07-25 11:22 AM Waiting for splits but the race wasn't as bad as I thought.  Finished the swim without getting fished out of the river, that was a positive.  Long and NASTY transition to the bike.  (lay out of the course has it over a pebble path, up a flight of stairs then 2 blocks to the bike area). LOVED the ride today, kicked serious booty.  T2 wasn't that bad.....Run course SUCKS!  City running is the pits!  No shade, Several flights of stairs......however, they passed out wet sponges around mile 2 and those were wonderful things.  Walked a lot of the run to keep the HR controled and from overheating....

So glad to see that you did well--sounds like you finished strong even with the weather challenges and a tough run course.  Congratulations!  I knew you would find the happy place again!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 46