General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2010-12-23 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3254802

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
3Aims - 2010-12-20 11:08 AM Anyone with knowledge of the course think 80mm wheels are too deep given the 3,000 feet of climbing each loop?  I train on 40mm wheels and my wife talked about getting me some 808s for Christmas.   

Second, I have a 52/38T, 12-25T cassette now.  Is a 12-27T the best choice for CDA? 

I won't go into all the science/math right now (if you want that, pay attention to what Jackmott says here or if you are really a geek HERE), but it is a myth that in a time trial format that starts and ends at the same place (net elevation = zero) that the aero benefits of a deeper wheel will be cancelled out by the added weight when climbing.  It is ALWYAS faster to go with a disk and deep dish front wheel, unless the depth of the front wheel causes instability/handling issues that force you out of the aerobars a lot (FWIW I do not believe the CdA course should do that at all, at least not any more with a deep vs. shallow wheel).  Of course you have to do it for sharp turns, but that's a moot point with respect to wheel depth.

I rode an 80mm front wheel and a disk-cover rear wheel at IMLP, which has much more sustained climbing.  Take any triathlon with a notoriously hilly bike (eg, Savageman), and I can pretty much guarantee you that the course record and bike record were produced with deep wheels or a disk.

Get your 808s and ride them at CdA (with a wheel cover).

As to gearing, I recommend that if you don't have a compact crank (50/34) (and for most riders even if you do have one), that you have a granny gear available in any IM with any climbing.  Of course it ultimately depends on how strong of a cyclist you are, but IMHO for anyone planning to ride longer than 5:30 (and for many people who plan to ride faster but have a standard front) should use a compact + 12/26, 27, or 28 rear.  Many people CAN ride the course on far more aggressive gearing, but the real question is this -- with a marathon coming, should you? 

Any uphill where you bottom out your gears and spike your power but still can't maintain the same cadence you would have been riding on the flats will hurt your marathon.  Any downhill where you spin out on a 50+12 combo you'd be better of just tucking into the most aero position you can maintain and letting gravity do all the work.

It's no surprise by this point (since I've preached this sermon a few times) I feel pretty strongly about this.  All I can ultimately say is that I plan to ride 5:10 or faster at CdA, and I'll be doing it on a 50/34 + 12/26 or 11/28 (I will bring both with me and decide last minute since I won't be able to preview the course).  I plan to run 3:15 or faster after doing that.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2010-12-23 9:51 AM

2010-12-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3258725

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

T in Liberty Lake - 2010-12-23 8:07 AM

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated so cancel the search party and put away the blood hounds.  If anyone was starting to plan a good old Irish wake for me you can keep those plans rolling, June 27th will work well for me.

My log is accurate, I have not worked out since mid-November.  The kids are healthy and my marriage is strong.  However, mentally I am beat up.  I’m going through a very rough patch with work right now (that I cannot post about).   I’m not worried about getting fired but it’s sucking the fun out of life.  80++ hours per week and I’m not sleeping well.  Something had to give. 

Thanks for the concern, I will try to check in more often.  The big push is almost over, I hope to be back at it soon.   But for now (5:00am) I’m at work…      

Sorry to hear about work, but glad to hear you are ok.

See you in June!

2010-12-23 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA

Work has this habit of getting in the way of our recreational lives.

2010-12-24 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3258202

User image

Expert
WA
ironeric2010 - 2010-12-22 2:37 AM

A lot of the pro's at  Kona (including Lieto) were wearing white arm sleeves.  I remember hearing during the live broadcast that these were something like the Craft Compression Arm Cooler which are somehow supposed to enhance evaporation, and possible reflect more sun. 

Not the same as the more standard arm warmer sleeves.

Thanks!  ...Interesting

Edited by RunRene 2010-12-24 4:54 PM
2010-12-24 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3258980

User image

Expert
WA
JoshKaptur - 2010-12-22 7:23 PM
I have DeSoto arm coolers and will vouch for their effectiveness... and I am generally VERY skeptical of the claims of clothing to do the miracles it says it does.  Once you are sweating faster than evaporation (for me anything above 50 degrees, especially if there's any humidity), I honestly think a tee shirt is just as good as technical fabric.

But the arm coolers really did FEEL cool during my trials in training and during IMLP for me.  They come in black and white and I've had people I swear the black ones are just as cool, which means they work via evaporation not so much reflecting heat/light.  But I'd rather play it safe and have white ones.  If it's not humid, and if you dump some water on them at each aid station on the bike, it will definitely keep you cooler.  I do not wear them for the run, though might consider it if I was racing in a particularly hot/sunny but dry race (to keep the sun off of me and keep me cool).  I do not like messing with sunscreen any more than necessary on race day.

Thanks for the input Josh!
2010-12-25 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Hello IM Coer d'Alene athletes. I have an IM Coer d'Alene golf shirt that I got from a friend of mine. I've worn it...1-2x. It's like brand new. It doesn't have a year on it, it's in great condition, and I would love to send it to one of you since I have not competed, nor do I expect to compete in this event. It is a size 'M' but it fits big. If I was asked what size it is I would have guessed a large.
Oh, light green color, collar. 100% polyester. It has the Ford logo above the block word IRONMAN, with the M as an M-dot. Underneath that it says Coeur d' Alene. This is all stitched.
It's a nice quality shirt.

So...the first person to respond to me, I will send this to you. Merry Christmas!

~Sam

2010-12-25 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
Oh! Respond to my e-mail... [email protected], put IM shirt in the subject line please. Thanks.
2010-12-25 4:07 PM

User image

Expert

The shirt is gone. Thanks for playing.

2010-12-26 5:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Happy Holidays everyone.   Did anyone get any new tri gadgets for Christmas?  I got a Real Ride- speed and power dvd.  I did the week one segment today.  The dashboard feature really helped me adjust my trainer to the right tension.  I had it set way too low.  181 days!!!
2010-12-27 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3259014

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Josh, thanks for the advice. 

Edited by 3Aims 2010-12-27 3:36 PM
2010-12-28 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3259014

User image

Expert
WA
JoshKaptur - 2010-12-22 7:35 PM

Any uphill where you bottom out your gears and spike your power but still can't maintain the same cadence you would have been riding on the flats will hurt your marathon.  Any downhill where you spin out on a 50+12 combo you'd be better of just tucking into the most aero position you can maintain and letting gravity do all the work.

It's no surprise by this point (since I've preached this sermon a few times) I feel pretty strongly about this.  All I can ultimately say is that I plan to ride 5:10 or faster at CdA, and I'll be doing it on a 50/34 + 12/26 or 11/28 (I will bring both with me and decide last minute since I won't be able to preview the course).  I plan to run 3:15 or faster after doing that.

3:15 Marathon!??!! ....You ANIMAL!!!

Thanks for the info on the cranks and cog!!

It has been a great help.  Due to costs I will probably keep my crank but get a different cassette.

2010-12-28 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
We'll see.  I missed Kona by about 20 minutes at my last IM, where I ran 3:32 on a hillier bike/run course.  Even though CdA is in theory a faster course (for my competition too), I suspect I'll need to be about 30-45 minutes faster overall (I'm giving myself + competition 10 minutes to the faster course... so need 20-35 minutes of fitness gains).  That's the math in my head anyway.  5 on the swim, 15 on the bike, and 15 on the run would almost guarantee my ticket get's punched.

But (and this is the point of me writing this), I'm not going to fall into the trap of training towards a specific time, which almost always results in injury from people training too hard for their given fitness.  I'm simply going to train based on my current tested fitness, re-test and adjust my training frequently, and then race based on that fitness on race day.  I know I'll be close, and I'll be prepared to take a risk on the run if I need to.
2010-12-28 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3264841

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
Wow...that's insanely fast.  Boggles my mind. 

What are your plans relative to early spring racing?  I've been thinking about a May 15 HIM (rev3 knoxville ).  But am afraid it's too close to CDA. 
2010-12-28 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3265068

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
ironeric2010 - 2010-12-28 6:17 PM Wow...that's insanely fast.  Boggles my mind. 

What are your plans relative to early spring racing?  I've been thinking about a May 15 HIM (rev3 knoxville ).  But am afraid it's too close to CDA. 

I've given a ton of thought to that.  It just seems common sense to run an HIM during prep for an IM, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to squeeze one in either.  I have enough race experience that I don't think I need it for the psychological benefit that others might, but there's nothing like an HIM to test your IM fitness either.  Ideally for me, an HIM is my last fitness test to let me know how to train for my final training phase before the IM taper begins.  That said, I'm presently leaning towards not doing a spring HIM this year... but may talk myself into it last minute.  I don't want to do one if the recovery from it will compromise key IM training builds.
2010-12-28 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3265068

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
ironeric2010 - 2010-12-28 3:17 PM Wow...that's insanely fast.  Boggles my mind. 

Come do Wildflower with me!  Davide is doing it, too Laughing
Last weekend in April. 
2010-12-29 4:38 AM

User image

Elite
SE
I have to make a confession. After coming off of a solid IMFL, I went back to work asap, which was great. Banged out a sub 40 10k not too long afterwards, and was sneaking in hard efforts on the bike against coach advice. I pretty much have stayed away from the water though. Then we came away for a 2.5 week holiday and I caught a flu bug that had me down for 5 days straight. All of a sudden I started rethinking my decision to line up IMCDA after a November IMFL.

I am now mostly past the flu bug (darn those swine in England!) and am now starting to come back to the idea of going through the build for IMCDA. But it is not coming back easy. I think I need more downtime, but then there is the money part and the traininng part which I'll probably do anyhow. So I may just go ahead, hold off cancelling as long as possible and probably bang out the day on lowered expectations.

I never thought I would experience burnout, but that flu bug forced me to confront the possibility. Figured it was worth a bit of mention on here. Also, I am trying to be more mindful of the burnout issue as I plan future races, letting my brain not my heart do the leading.

2010-12-29 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3265080

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
Come do Wildflower with me!  Davide is doing it, too
Last weekend in April.

That would be about the perfect timeframe for HIM race I think and I've heard Wildflower is pretty badass.  Unfortunately, the impact that a second transcontinental destination race (within a 3 month span no less) would have on my wallet would be a bit too much to bear.

I think I'm settling on a long course duathlon.  10km/60km/10km.
Course is pretty hilly so I think it would be pretty perfect for CDA prep.  And it's late march.  And it's close enough so that I can drive there the morning off and avoid hotel fees.

2010-12-29 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3265598

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
phatknot - 2010-12-29 5:38 AM I have to make a confession. After coming off of a solid IMFL, I went back to work asap, which was great. Banged out a sub 40 10k not too long afterwards, and was sneaking in hard efforts on the bike against coach advice. I pretty much have stayed away from the water though. Then we came away for a 2.5 week holiday and I caught a flu bug that had me down for 5 days straight. All of a sudden I started rethinking my decision to line up IMCDA after a November IMFL.

I am now mostly past the flu bug (darn those swine in England!) and am now starting to come back to the idea of going through the build for IMCDA. But it is not coming back easy. I think I need more downtime, but then there is the money part and the traininng part which I'll probably do anyhow. So I may just go ahead, hold off cancelling as long as possible and probably bang out the day on lowered expectations.

I never thought I would experience burnout, but that flu bug forced me to confront the possibility. Figured it was worth a bit of mention on here. Also, I am trying to be more mindful of the burnout issue as I plan future races, letting my brain not my heart do the leading.

Considering the fitness you are still holding on to, I don't think there's any danger in taking that time off right now.  If I was your coach, after I was done chiding you for not listening to me, I'd recommend a January "off season" where you only do unstructured workouts and only if you felt like it.

I once did a forced time off when I really didn't want to.  Every day I wanted to go train... but I didn't.  It wasn't until I was okay with not training and started liking being a couch potato that I knew it was time for me to get off the couch.  Here's an except from my blog at the end of that rest:

My hiatus was pretty difficult.  Although I was coming off a bad race, I'm pretty much addicted to aerobic exercise.  I had tremendous trouble sleeping the entire time, and my doctor thinks my total break from triathlon resulted in some chemical changes in my body.  I was used to twice daily endorphin doses.  But I was also mentally fatigued, and knew that if I had to start KQ training this winter in that state of mind that I would eventually burn out.

So I took 4 weeks off.  It was supposed to be two originally, but I made a rule for myself - that I wouldn't start back up if I wanted to.  In other words, I had to wait for the desire to train subsided before I would let myself (and now make myself) do it again.  I would have LOVED to go for a trail run after two weeks.  I forced myself not to.

Basically I concluded that as long as my brain was craving it, I wouldn't let it have it.  That took 4 weeks, until all the sudden I was feeling like a couch potato and didn't want to workout.  That was the sure-fire evidence that I was mentally recovered, and that I needed to workout.

Even after only 2 runs I'm really liking what I did.  Yeah I lost some fitness and yeah I gained a little weight... but I feel like a million bucks and even after two 3 mile runs, I'm able to picture the IM finish and mental race prep has already started.

Next year I will be even more conservative with my race schedule... I know I take grief for how little I race.  Only part of that is me being cheap.  The larger concern is that races take so much out of me, and it's really hard for me to recovery from them mentally and physically.  I got sucked into doing too many post-IM races this year, and the result was burnout.  I was racing when I didn't want to simply because I had paid the entry fee.

When I took my hiatus, it was because I was questioning whether I even wanted to do triathlon next year.  That was irrational, because I loved doing it this year and just weeks before that was having trouble sleeping at night because of how excited I was about CdA next year.  The fact is I love this sport, but was not appreciating the toll serious training and racing can take on you mentally.

I lost some physical fitness in the past month, and I'll need to be smart about building it back up.  It did allow some very early warning signs of injury to heal up completely too, which is always a good thing.  But best of all, I'm mentally in much better shape then when I signed off.  I'm back to thinking like an ironman, and it only took 3 miles to make it happen.  Whereas if I had run 3 miles at any point during the two weeks I originally planned to take off, it would have sucked me further into quitting the sport.

All that to say, strange as it sounds, I trained really hard at not doing anything in the last 4 weeks.  I'm really expecting it to pay off for my upcoming ironman

PS - slept like a baby last night too!
2010-12-29 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA

Phat, I agree with Josh.  I have no real expertise like he does to stand on - just my experience. I do not have the endurance bank you do with 2 IM in your account. However, after Augusta 70.3 I was done - 2 years of pretty steady training I needed a break.  I took October off.  I did do some fun rides and relaxed swims.  I came back strong in November and feeling good.  Also I had a month to prioritize everything over training.  We all have to be selfish to some extent doing this crap.  I think that helped me and all those around me to have training be just simply ignored for a while. As far as strength goes I am right back and even stronger than where I was at prior to Augusta despite a month off.  I know a full IM is no half training but I would imagine with your tremendous endurance bank you would be solid.  I hope the race works out for you.  However, I am sure you will make the decision that is right for you and your family.  Best wishes man. 

ps.  CDA and the surronding area is a great family spot.  If you were going to take a race easy and use it as a family fun trip I would do it.  We are going to Glacier for several days after.  Just a glorious part of the country

2010-12-29 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3265887

Master
, California
ps.  CDA and the surronding area is a great family spot.  If you were going to take a race easy and use it as a family fun trip I would do it.  We are going to Glacier for several days after.  Just a glorious part of the country

^^^
Once you get there you will not regret it at all.

Great area + the people in town love having an Ironman there, for the most part.  Crowd support is phenomenal.

Talk to your coach and take a little time to recharge, then get back to training when your mind and body are ready.  6 months out is still a long time to prepare.
2010-12-29 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
This may have been discussed in the previous 46 pages, but I couldn't find it!

Anybody shipping a bike through the Airline and trying to get it down to CDA via shuttle or rental car?  I'm wondering what the best option is in regard to if the shuttle company will charge an arm and a leg for a bike box last minute or if u all think just renting the larger SUV is a better option.

The shuttle company up there is Payless Airport Shuttle and I haven't called them yet to find out their rates.

Thanks,
Kata

2010-12-29 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3265887

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
kstater39 - 2010-12-29 9:54 AM

Phat, I agree with Josh.  ...

I just had to leave that first part in there, but on to your post script.  How many CdA'ers on this thread are headed to Glacier post-race?  I now know of at least 3, including me.  My wife and I will be staying in CdA until Tuesday, then heading to Missoula for a day or two to hang out with family (my brother has a new drift boat and really wants to take me flyfishing), and then trecking to Glacier, and possibly Jasper and Banff as well.
2010-12-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3266337

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
katachapin - 2010-12-29 1:05 PM This may have been discussed in the previous 46 pages, but I couldn't find it!

Anybody shipping a bike through the Airline and trying to get it down to CDA via shuttle or rental car?  I'm wondering what the best option is in regard to if the shuttle company will charge an arm and a leg for a bike box last minute or if u all think just renting the larger SUV is a better option.

The shuttle company up there is Payless Airport Shuttle and I haven't called them yet to find out their rates.

Thanks,
Kata

I have no experience here, having never flow to a race before.  But I would suspect a boxed bike is not particularly large as far as luggage goes, and that you shouldn't have any trouble with a taxi or shuttle company.

Personally, to avoid all that hassle, I'm using tri bike transport.  It's about $300, whereas I'm flying Southwest where a bike is $50 one way... but I consider the $200 difference well worth the lack of hassle and logicstics simplicity.
2010-12-29 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3266567

Master
, California
So for those of you not in the Pacific Northwest -- what made you choose IMCdA?
2010-12-29 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3266563

User image

Regular
Madison, AL
What's the drive time to glacier?  I think it's about 5 hours?
Had talked about doing that or taking the long haul down to yellowstone.

Regarding bike shipment....my thought was to use something like ironmanbikes and ship via fedex.  Although perusing the CDA website I noticed a big fat TBD on the "bike shipping options".  This is what was offered at IMFL this year and I thought something similar used to be on the CDA website.

Yes, the Ironman Bike Store offers full service bike repairs, assembly and disassembly of bikes that are shipped via FedEx, UPS or transported via air carrier. They will be staffed by expert bike technicians and stocked with a variety of merchandise.

If you are shipping your bike to the Ironman Bike Store at Ford Ironman Florida, please use the following shipping address:
Ironman Bike Store
ATTN: BIKE SHIPPING PROGRAM
434A Lyndell Ln
Panama City Beach, FL 32407

Delivery Window: Nov. 2-3

Please note: The shipping address is ONLY for athletes who are shipping their bike to the Ironman Bike Store in Panama City Beach. If you are not using the Ironman Bike Store’s services, do NOT ship your bike to the above address.

Please email your name and tracking number with the bike service form below to the Ironman Bike Store at [email protected] with the subject heading: Bike Shipping Program: Florida

Full Service ($225 USD) - Customer ships their bike to the address provided. We receive the case, unpack the bike, build the bike, tune the bike and hold on to the case. After the event, we disassemble the bike, pack it and ship it to the address the customer provides.
Fly-In Full Service ($175 USD) - Customer brings their case to us on-site. We unpack the bike, build the bike, tune the bike and hold on to the case. After the event, we disassemble the bike, pack it and give the case to the customer.
Unpack and Assemble ($85 USD) - Customer brings their case to us on-site and we unpack the bike, assemble the bike and tune the bike. The customer takes the bike and the case with them.
Disassemble and Pack ($75 USD) - Customer brings us their bike and their case. We disassemble and pack the bike. The customer takes their case.
Receive Only ($40 USD) - Customer ships their case to the address we provide. We receive and sign for the case (if applicable). We hold on to the case until the customer comes to pick it up.
Return Shipping Only ($90 USD) - Customer brings us their case and we ship it to the address they provide. Insurance is set at $2,000 USD. Additional insurance can be purchased at $9.00 for every $1,000 of insurance.
Bike Case Storage Fee ($20 USD) - Customer only needs to store their case and did not purchase a package that specifies case storage.

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171