BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-03-29 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3419626

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED

So, speaking of things that go wrong and having to go with the flow....

I finally went to see a sports medicine doctor today about some knee pain that has been bothering me for months now. I got xrays done and a long exam and it turns out that I am having IT band problems. Honestly, I am happy about this and that it is not something that requires surgery! The doctor said that I can keep running and training as long as I am not in too much pain but I need to go in for physical therapy 2 times a week for 6 weeks. This definitely was not part of my plan and is annoying but I'm going to just do what I have to do and hope that things feel better soon!

2011-03-29 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3419683

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
sbux87 - 2011-03-29 10:37 AM

So, speaking of things that go wrong and having to go with the flow....

I finally went to see a sports medicine doctor today about some knee pain that has been bothering me for months now. I got xrays done and a long exam and it turns out that I am having IT band problems. Honestly, I am happy about this and that it is not something that requires surgery! The doctor said that I can keep running and training as long as I am not in too much pain but I need to go in for physical therapy 2 times a week for 6 weeks. This definitely was not part of my plan and is annoying but I'm going to just do what I have to do and hope that things feel better soon!

GREAT!! nothing a little extra stretching and maybe some yoga can't solve!
2011-03-29 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3256125

User image

Veteran

QOTD:

Unlike Erin, I am not really into eating all of these different types of things that everyone else enjoys, but we do make great smoothies on a daily basis (well, actually Erin makes them).  She makes great strawberry, banana, kale, and spinach smoothies.  We keep all of the fruit frozen, so there's no need to add ice.  Just some juice (we use either apple or orange), your choice of any other frozen fruits, and spinach and/or kale.  These are so good and there's no milk or yogurt needed!  They're my favorite thing of every day.

2011-03-29 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3419862

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
mcommend - 2011-03-29 12:01 PM

QOTD:

Unlike Erin, I am not really into eating all of these different types of things that everyone else enjoys, but we do make great smoothies on a daily basis (well, actually Erin makes them).  She makes great strawberry, banana, kale, and spinach smoothies.  We keep all of the fruit frozen, so there's no need to add ice.  Just some juice (we use either apple or orange), your choice of any other frozen fruits, and spinach and/or kale.  These are so good and there's no milk or yogurt needed!  They're my favorite thing of every day.

2011-03-29 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3419862

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

QOTD:

I love smoothies too! How much spinach/kale do you add? I've never added any vegetables except for one time I added cooked beets...that was actually good and it blended in so much it really just added color, not flavor or texture. and vitamins! I would happily try spinach & kale though. When I used to work for a juice company my favorite used spinach and cucumber with carrot & orange juice, but I don't have a juicer now, just a blender.

Edited by QueerDrummer 2011-03-29 1:32 PM
2011-03-29 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3420047

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
QueerDrummer - 2011-03-29 2:29 PM

QOTD:

I love smoothies too! How much spinach/kale do you add? I've never added any vegetables except for one time I added cooked beets...that was actually good and it blended in so much it really just added color, not flavor or texture. and vitamins! I would happily try spinach & kale though. When I used to work for a juice company my favorite used spinach and cucumber with carrot & orange juice, but I don't have a juicer now, just a blender.

i add about a handful of kale (i just break into small pieces with my hands, chopping is too time consuming) and slightly less with spinach, but i also guess it depends how big your blender is and how many you are making. i can usually get four big glasses out of mine. do you have a food processor? alot cheaper than juicers. if so, you can put any kind of vegetables in there first and then put in a blender with frozen fruit or ice and juice. spinach, cucumber and carrots with orange juice sounds good. that would even be good with some frozen pineapples too, don't you think? oh, and coconut water to sub for the juice! what did you add with the beets?

sarah- great news!!!

2011-03-29 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3419676

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
QueerDrummer - 2011-03-29 11:34 AM

"

I was out at cauliflower!! No offense. did anyone try my Jambalaya recipe I posted a while back?
"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, see we love cauliflower in any form, Brian, and we make curry type stuff pretty often, so this is great! But with this kind of recipe you can really substitute anything. You could use broccoli instead of cauliflower. Or chicken and just leave out the cauli...it would still be awesome.

do you make mash cauliflower? spicy mashed cauliflower is awesome! i use to be able to fool my kids that they were mashed potatoes, but my older one realized they weren't the same thing sometime around age 5. i can't trick people that much anymore with food in my house.

2011-03-29 4:01 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Hey group,

Just a little note that the mentor groups for winter are ending soon spring groups will be starting shortly. I don't know if they are going to move our thread to the archives, but reguardless, if you guys would like to continue through spring with the group I'd be up for that.
2011-03-29 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3420222

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
libramom - 2011-03-29 2:38 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-03-29 11:34 AM

"

I was out at cauliflower!! No offense. did anyone try my Jambalaya recipe I posted a while back?
"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, see we love cauliflower in any form, Brian, and we make curry type stuff pretty often, so this is great! But with this kind of recipe you can really substitute anything. You could use broccoli instead of cauliflower. Or chicken and just leave out the cauli...it would still be awesome.

do you make mash cauliflower? spicy mashed cauliflower is awesome! i use to be able to fool my kids that they were mashed potatoes, but my older one realized they weren't the same thing sometime around age 5. i can't trick people that much anymore with food in my house.

Yup! I learned that from my vegan friends who *do* use it as a healthier substitute for mashed potatoes! Those 5 yr olds are SMART. They might not go back to mashed cauliflower until their 30's when they start trying to get healthy again.

2011-03-29 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3420404

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Meulen - 2011-03-29 4:01 PM Hey group, Just a little note that the mentor groups for winter are ending soon spring groups will be starting shortly. I don't know if they are going to move our thread to the archives, but reguardless, if you guys would like to continue through spring with the group I'd be up for that.

Yes please!

2011-03-29 6:31 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara
I am in.  Please continue.  Don't want a new coach.

2011-03-29 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
I would like to continue.  After all, the season is only getting ready to really start now...
2011-03-29 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm looking for some advice on a bike computer.  I had bought a VDO wireless computer on clearance.  Got a great deal, but it stopped working after the first few miles.  Not sure why, and I am not sure if I want to continue trouble shooting it or just look for something different.  I am also thinking that I would love to have something with cadence on it to help me with these hills.  Any suggestions?  I saw a great deal on a Cateye with cadence for only $30.  Of course it is not wireless.  What is everyone else using?
2011-03-29 9:20 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'll be around through this first season for you guys if you'd like. No problem. Just keep an eye on the thread. If it's not here it will get thrown in the mentor archive. We can still use it in there, and I'll be around if any of you need to shoot me a pm too. No worries. Oh.... And I'm not a coach!! I thought we made that clear in the beginning. Lol
2011-03-29 9:22 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Michael

I prefer the garmins. They are easier to set up and use IMO. I know they are a little more money but they are worth it.
2011-03-30 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3420824

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Meulen - 2011-03-29 10:22 PM Michael I prefer the garmins. They are easier to set up and use IMO. I know they are a little more money but they are worth it.

hilarious!! he won't be getting a garmin for his bike until i get a new garmin for my car to replace my broken one!  

2011-03-30 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3421118

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-03-30 8:27 AM

Meulen - 2011-03-29 10:22 PM Michael I prefer the garmins. They are easier to set up and use IMO. I know they are a little more money but they are worth it.

hilarious!! he won't be getting a garmin for his bike until i get a new garmin for my car to replace my broken one!  

hahaha!! I guess my point is to try and hang in there and save for the garmin. You kind of get what you pay for with a lot of this stuff. I'd try to trouble shoot the VDO and use it till you can get a garmin. There are other garmins besides the edge 800 and 310xt you know! I'm not saying you have to spend a fortune.
2011-03-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3421140

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Meulen - 2011-03-30 8:33 AM
libramom - 2011-03-30 8:27 AM

hahaha!! I guess my point is to try and hang in there and save for the garmin. You kind of get what you pay for with a lot of this stuff. I'd try to trouble shoot the VDO and use it till you can get a garmin. There are other garmins besides the edge 800 and 310xt you know! I'm not saying you have to spend a fortune.

I spent about $100 on a Sigma Sport. *STILL* haven't installed it yet, but I have high hopes. I did however get the bike out and start my modifications...new seat, water bottle cage, switched out the toe cages for power straps, which I prefer. My plan is to get the computer on this week and get out for a test ride over the weekend. Crossing my fingers for decent weather!

2011-03-30 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3418426

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
QueerDrummer - 2011-03-28 4:15 PM

QOTD: Favorite recipes anyone? This is a favorite for those decadent days when you need desert that can still be considered "healthy"!

Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse! (I think I got this from a beachbody.com email)
Makes about 2 quarter-cup servings - this stuff is rich, so ya don't need much. I recommend dipping fresh strawberries in it!

3oz avocado
2 TBSP cocoa powder (unsweetened/baking cocoa)
2 TBSP Agave Nectar (or other natural sweetener)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

combine ingredients in blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Can be served immediately but is best if chilled in fridge for at least 1 hour.  (after chilling the consistancy becomes more like frosting.)

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1/4 cup

Amount per Serving

Calories 156
Calories from Fat 72.0

Total Fat8g

Saturated Fat 1.5g

Cholesterol0mg

Sodium0mg

Total Carbohydrate24g

Dietary Fiber 5.5g

Sugars 21g

Protein2.5g

Thank you so much for posting this.  I will definitely be giving it a try this weekend.  Sounds yummy!    Oh, and Erin, thanks for the curry recipe.  I LUV me some curry - and because my husband doesn't like it, I would get to eat it ALL myself!!

Dale - I know I am a little late, but great job on the race!  Sometimes when things go not as planned, I have the most fun!  Way to finish strong!

I would definitely like to stay around through the season for support and help.  Thanks for offering Brian!

2011-03-30 10:48 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara
Sure thing coach.  I mean Brian.    I just wanted to let you know that I am going to change the focus of my training for the next two months.  I will be swiming and biking still but much less than normal.  I am going to focus on running, mainly trails and hill runs.  I am also going to do an aggressive kettleworx program for six weeks.  I hope to build up my running endurance as well as gain some general upper body strength.  I think this will be best for the race I am doing.  I will go back to tri training after that race.  I am thinking about doing a sprint race in the ocean in September.  
2011-03-31 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3422743

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shrevemaintenance - 2011-03-30 10:48 PM

Sure thing coach.  I mean Brian.    I just wanted to let you know that I am going to change the focus of my training for the next two months.  I will be swiming and biking still but much less than normal.  I am going to focus on running, mainly trails and hill runs.  I am also going to do an aggressive kettleworx program for six weeks.  I hope to build up my running endurance as well as gain some general upper body strength.  I think this will be best for the race I am doing.  I will go back to tri training after that race.  I am thinking about doing a sprint race in the ocean in September.  

tell me more about that tough mudder? Is it more run focussed?

2011-03-31 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
March goals:

I'm terrible! I can't make these swim goals for anything! I missed my swim goal this month by alot! I have to quit making lofty swim goals when I'm focussed on running for marathon training. Plus, I never know whether or not my sinus problems will cooperate with me!! Sorry group!

Running: I blew my goal away this month. Peak training for marathon put me at 142.64 this month!!! waaay more than the 115 I set!

Next month my goals are simple:
1. Get outside more on the bike- especially on the MTB
2. Complete the marathon- I've got a secret goal of under 4 hours, but being my first I'm not holding myself to that.

I'm also toying with the idea of making an attempt to get down to 165lbs during April. Not sure on this yet because I'm going to have to start picking up with bike and it will be hard to make gains on the bike while losing weight. Maybe, I don't know. What do you guys think?

How did everyone else do with goals this month?
2011-03-31 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3422933

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh

My Goals were:

1) Run 50 miles----Complete! I am surprised that I was able to accomplish this with my knee pain and shin splints that I dealt with earlier in the month but I did it--just scraping by at 50.17. I am really proud about this because I definitely feel stronger and more consistent with my running than I have all winter.

2) Swim 1500 yards without stopping----Complete! I'm definitely feeling more comfortable in the water...well in the pool at least, I know that open water is a completely different story...Wink

3) Feel comfortable with my clipless pedals----In Progress. I still am nowhere near "comfortable" with them but I'm feeling better than I was when I first got them. It's been hard since I haven't been able to train outside on my bike because of the weather but once I do hopefully I'll get the hang of them quicker.

Overall March was an AWESOME month. I love comparing stats because I am a numbers geek so here is March compared to February...(it also helps that March is 3 days longer!)

March                                    February

Bike                       12:15                                    10:20

Run                       8:04 = 50.17 mi                     3:45 = 24.25 mi (woahhh BIG improvement!)

Swim                     4:23 = 8900 yards                 3:33 = 6670 yards

Strength                5:55                                      5:00

My goals for April are:

1) Run more than March

2) Bike outside more

3) Lose 5lbs

Edited by sbux87 2011-03-31 8:05 AM
2011-03-31 8:07 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Great work Sarah!! those stat improvements are AWESOME!!! I bet you saw some big speed gains from this month!! Nice!!!
2011-03-31 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3422997

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

March Goals were as follows:

Swim: 9 hours or 13,500 meters
Cycle: 6 hours
Run: 3 hours or 15 miles

I feel great about March, considering I was still recovering from the hospital stay at the beginning of the month. I met my run goal both in time and in distance, coming in at 3hrs 21 min and 15.25 miles. I met my cycle goal (thanks to an extra easy workout today!) at 6 hrs 15 sec = 99.64 miles, granted all on the stationary bike but that will change in April. I didn't quite meet my swimming goal in time, but blew away the distance coming in at 8hrs 36min and 15,350 meters!

April goals are:

Swim: 7.5 hrs or 15,000 meters
Bike: 10.5 hrs, at least 6 of those hours outside; if I hit 150 miles that would be awesome
Run: 6.25 hrs or 25 miles

Additional goals:
Practice transitions at least 4 days (multiple times in each session)
Drop at least 3 lbs and stay there! (putting me under 160)
Bike race route & scope out run route (this is scheduled to happen April 16th)
Run the Race for Justice 5K on April 17th

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56