BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-23 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3458837

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-21 12:35 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-04-21 11:17 AM

Ummmmm... in case anyone is wondering...

IM TEXAS IS ONE MONTH FROM TODAY!!!!!

... but who's counting??!! Cool

ha.  that dawned on me at breakfast this morning.  there was a slight pause in my life when it happened. 

But that means you get to start tapering now!!!  I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-04-23 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3459819

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

GrapeJuice - 2011-04-21 8:05 PM So I did that closed fist drill for the first time today and as soon as i closed my fists I though I was going straight to the bottom of the pool, It felt so weird, it took a couple strokes to get use to it and I started to feel my forearms way more. I also felt one(left) forearm way more than the other so I think there is a major technique or strength imbalance in my stroke. I breath while on my right side and my right arm is always the arm whose technique goes out the window 1st when I get tired and just flails till I finish the set. Anyone know what I am talking about? Not to sure if it is clear, but does anyone have any advice on correcting this?

ugh, closed fist drills are the worst best. From what you have described I would check 2 main things, your rotation and your elbow position underwater.  Remember the point of this drill is to emphasize the pull with the complete arm, not just the hand.  Keep your elbow nice and high underwater and keep your arm more towards the side of your body, not underneath you.  That way you get the maximum amount of stroke force all the way down the length of your body.  Lots of people focus on the initial pull but then stop once their arm reaches their waist.  Concentrate on completing your stroke to a full extension of the arm underwater before you raise your elbow for the recovery.  If your triceps hurt at the end then you've done them correctly.  When you raise your elbow during the recovery that is where you hip rotation comes into play.  If you stop moving forward or start to sink then you aren't rotation enough.  The closed fist drill really exaggerates your arm and body placement and you should be able to feel all of the above comments during this drill.  Does this make sense? 

2011-04-23 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3461770

User image

Master
Maryland
copa2251 - 2011-04-22 9:50 PM

Happy Easter everyone!

I managed to drag myself out of bed this morning and did a 3 hour ride heading inland and up a steep set of hills called "Black Mountain", really beautiful up there and ended up riding in the clouds.

My parents have flown over from the UK and my dad (who nearly died after complications from a heart bypass 12 months ago) has got sick with a really high fever for the past 2 nights. I'm trying to stick to my training but don't want to be a complete a$$hole by not hanging around to check up on him. Life always pulls a few surprises on us!

So Easter's going to be a bit quiet round here, tomorrows the last training day on my program then I'm into the taper week.

David,

I hope your father feels better soon and that your family has a great Easter weekend!

Linda

2011-04-23 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master
Maryland

I am saying a very big THANK YOU to Kim, John, Suzy, Trevor  and Kyla!!! Now I don't like people to see me cry...but my 2 daughters witenessed me breaking down just now with happy tears when I opened the mail! To those of you in the MG who do not know, they all sent me a great card and the Boston Marathon celebration jacket. These jackets are like trophies to the runners and are a symbol of what the runner has accomplished.  It is beautiful and I am so moved. My girls asked me why I was crying and I said this was such a great act of kindness.

KIM, KYLA, SUZY, JOHN TREVOR THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!

2011-04-23 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Hi gang - still alive.  I've missed a few pages but I recall some "nice" MG person posted a blurry pic of me standing next to a hand grenade.  Tony and I had a great time in NO.  I actually felt pretty good TH AM esp. considering I had more drinks that night than I'd had the rest of April and possibly this year and went to bed at 4am!!!!

I had another 5k in the cold, windy rain Friday night.  My slowest time but still under 24min.  At least I have been consistent.  And today I totally hammered a 2 hr. trail run.  I'm very excited.  I ran many of the trails that I will be doing for my 50k in June including some of the steeper, more technical parts.  I've got 5 more weeks to build up some longer runs on the trails before the race.  Still trying to decide about shoes.  I've been running in my Zoots and love it but can't decide if I need more of a trail shoe but I have worried about weight.  More so b/c of feel.  Anyway I was reading in the RW's Trail special that there are some minimalist trail shoes.  Maybe I'll see if I can check them out.

Not sure there is going to be much different for the race other than planning and carrying some stuff w/ me.  But there are no bag drops or pacers for the 50k so other than less aid station and more food options not much is different than a marathon as far as course support.  I could really start to dig this trail running stuff.

Happy Easter for those celebrating and Happy Vegas for everyone else.  ;-)

2011-04-23 1:52 PM

User image

First race of the season for me today.  And a first....ducked behind some bushes .54 miles into the run and took a pee.  (There was no way I was going to make the full run without my little break)  Fun times!

Easter - I was at Target last week with my 10 yr old and he "informed" me he knows that I hide the eggs.  So, I embraced the moment and did the Easter shopping with him.  That was fun.  I hide over 200 eggs ... the kids have never missed a one.  Although this year I was asked (by said 10 yr old) to really hide them well so they have to look hard.

Oh, and he also informed me he still believes in Santa.....the kid is pretty bright as Santa only visits those in our house who still believe

Happy Easter MG!

2011-04-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3462285

User image

Elite
san francisco
Terps421 - 2011-04-23 10:35 AM

I am saying a very big THANK YOU to Kim, John, Suzy, Trevor  and Kyla!!! Now I don't like people to see me cry...but my 2 daughters witenessed me breaking down just now with happy tears when I opened the mail! To those of you in the MG who do not know, they all sent me a great card and the Boston Marathon celebration jacket. These jackets are like trophies to the runners and are a symbol of what the runner has accomplished.  It is beautiful and I am so moved. My girls asked me why I was crying and I said this was such a great act of kindness.

We think the world of you, Linda, I think I can speak for the whole group!!!  What you do on a daily basis (not to mention the 20 mile runs at 4am) is very special and you change lives for the better, every single day!  Wear that jacket with pride, you earned it!!!   

Pics or it didn't happen.  Oh geez, did it fit???  

2011-04-23 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3462335

User image

Elite
san francisco
Havin'Fun - 2011-04-23 11:52 AM

First race of the season for me today.  And a first....ducked behind some bushes .54 miles into the run and took a pee.  (There was no way I was going to make the full run without my little break)  Fun times!

Easter - I was at Target last week with my 10 yr old and he "informed" me he knows that I hide the eggs.  So, I embraced the moment and did the Easter shopping with him.  That was fun.  I hide over 200 eggs ... the kids have never missed a one.  Although this year I was asked (by said 10 yr old) to really hide them well so they have to look hard.

Oh, and he also informed me he still believes in Santa.....the kid is pretty bright as Santa only visits those in our house who still believe

Happy Easter MG!

Yay Linda!  You have now entered a very prestigious club.  Kyla, John and I need more members!!!!  C'mon MG, what are you waiting for!

2011-04-23 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3462342

User image

kt65 - 2011-04-23 2:58 PM

Happy Easter MG!

Yay Linda!  You have now entered a very prestigious club.  Kyla, John and I need more members!!!!  C'mon MG, what are you waiting for!

Just waiting for the bushes to get enough leaves on them to provide some cover.

Easter - One kid believes in the bunny, one doesn't. As for Santa, my son doesn't just believe in Santa Claus - he want's to BE Santa Claus when he grows up!

Linda/Terps - you more than earned that jacket! That's a beautiful thing you guys did.

2011-04-23 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3460566

User image

Master
Sin City
DougRob - 2011-04-22 7:50 AM
tricrazy - 2011-04-22 10:38 AM

What are everyone's Easter plans?

I am doing the traditional thing...I am in Vegas with my wife!

Perfect timing eh? It's BEAUTIFUL here now.  We've had serious winds the last few days. Went for another OWS and a run.   They had a 5k race at Lake Mead.   Too bad, we both could have done it! :-)  Enjoy the rest of your time in Vegas!

2011-04-23 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

I don't have kids nor celebrate Easter, but I wanted to share a funny story.

When I was young, my mom would hide the eggs then I find them (I was 8, and I knew Easter Bunny and Santa wasn't real, but we've enjoyed our little holidays together), then after I find them, I would hide them for Mom to find them. 

I hid them. What I forgot was to count the number of eggs that I hid.   One month later, we found the "lost" egg.  Needless to say, we didn't dare to open it. :-P 

Happy Easter everyone!  

2011-04-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3462340

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2011-04-23 2:57 PM

We think the world of you, Linda, I think I can speak for the whole group!!!  What you do on a daily basis (not to mention the 20 mile runs at 4am) is very special and you change lives for the better, every single day!  Wear that jacket with pride, you earned it!!!   

yeah!  pics!!!!!   and x2 on everything kim said... you rock linda!!!!!

2011-04-23 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2011-04-23 2:52 PM

Happy Easter MG!

AWESOME!!!!   no results online yet.  please tell us you won your a/g with the pee break. 

but do you think 200 eggs is a tad much?  ha!
2011-04-23 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3462224

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2011-04-23 12:08 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-21 12:35 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-04-21 11:17 AM

Ummmmm... in case anyone is wondering...

IM TEXAS IS ONE MONTH FROM TODAY!!!!!

... but who's counting??!! Cool

ha.  that dawned on me at breakfast this morning.  there was a slight pause in my life when it happened. 

But that means you get to start tapering now!!!  I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

almost!!!!   one more big week.  funny,  the first week of taper my long ride is only four hours.  as ridiculous as this sounds, a four hour ride is a walk in the park nowadays. 

i'm so excited for you too!!!!!!

2011-04-23 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3462400

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-23 3:05 PM
kt65 - 2011-04-23 2:57 PM

yeah!  pics!!!!!   and x2 on everything kim said... you rock linda!!!!!

I agree 110%   .......  X 3!, Etc.     & Great Idea with the BM Jacket guys....... Nice work!  

2011-04-23 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3462406

User image

fattyfatfat - 2011-04-23 4:11 PM
Havin'Fun - 2011-04-23 2:52 PM

Happy Easter MG!

AWESOME!!!!   no results online yet.  please tell us you won your a/g with the pee break. 

but do you think 200 eggs is a tad much?  ha!

There were only 2 of us in my ag, but I did manage to win it.

I agree that is a lot of eggs...especailly when you are filling each one.  

2011-04-23 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3462285

User image

Terps421 - 2011-04-23 1:35 PM

Very cool, all the way aronnd!

2011-04-23 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3462290

User image

Veteran
sdalessio - 2011-04-23 1:37 PM

Hi gang - still alive.  I've missed a few pages but I recall some "nice" MG person posted a blurry pic of me standing next to a hand grenade.  Tony and I had a great time in NO.  I actually felt pretty good TH AM esp. considering I had more drinks that night than I'd had the rest of April and possibly this year and went to bed at 4am!!!!

I had another 5k in the cold, windy rain Friday night.  My slowest time but still under 24min.  At least I have been consistent.  And today I totally hammered a 2 hr. trail run.  I'm very excited.  I ran many of the trails that I will be doing for my 50k in June including some of the steeper, more technical parts.  I've got 5 more weeks to build up some longer runs on the trails before the race.  Still trying to decide about shoes.  I've been running in my Zoots and love it but can't decide if I need more of a trail shoe but I have worried about weight.  More so b/c of feel.  Anyway I was reading in the RW's Trail special that there are some minimalist trail shoes.  Maybe I'll see if I can check them out.

Samantha - Purchased some Trail Gloves about a month ago at a Merell store- the sole is made by Vibram and the webbing by Merrell - extremely light with great traction I love them. Come in some cool colors too.

2011-04-23 6:42 PM

User image

Master

Happy Easter MG!

Ha!! I kid you not, within the last 6 weeks I found an egg at our house, un-opened, candy inside. I know it was my son's (we put initials on them, as the fights that ensue if everything isn't fair aren't worth it!)... Lame!!

So we will hide eggs. I got the goods this afternoon. Now I'm off to the lake to hang out in my soon-to-be-ex-neighbor's new house that is under contstruction (pizza and beer). No bathrooms. Bushes.

2011-04-23 8:10 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

cinnamon, root beer or coconut.  << --- first among equals!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-04-23 8:11 PM
2011-04-23 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3462729

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-23 8:10 PM

Cinnamon. Hands down!

2011-04-23 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Nice gift for Linda, good work guys! I must get over to see the Boston Marathon one day, it gets zero coverage here and yet all marathon runners aspire to getting in one day.

Thanks for the marathon training sites/coaches, I'm going going to look through them properly tonight, I'm pretty sure 2012 will be my marathon year!

My dad seemed recovered last night, even took him down to the beach and had a short walk. Got up at 5am to get my last brick session done, 52k bike/11km run, went well and I think it was especially beneficial because my legs were shot from yesterdays hilly ride so I had to push myself a bit harder.

When I got back my dad looked great but his left calf had become hot and shiny/swollen and I'm pretty sure he's got a DVT, probably from being sick in bed for 2 days. I took him up to the hospital and my 12 year old daughter came too, she was so excited! She said "dad this is great, we haven't been to the hospital since you nearly got your ear sliced off in that surfing accident!" I said "yes, thanks, but that wasn't such a great day for dad". Kids love a bit of blood and drama!!

Anyway, I'm ready for taper week and a bit of family time. Have a great Easter everyone.

2011-04-23 11:24 PM

User image

Master
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-23 6:10 PM

coconut

2011-04-24 1:30 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-23 11:10 PM

coconut is my favorite and cinnamon is a close second. 

2011-04-24 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3462929

User image

Master
Maryland
dcon - 2011-04-24 2:30 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-23 11:10 PM

coconut is my favorite and cinnamon is a close second. 

Coconut!

David, I have to ask, did your ear heal OK? That sounds really bad. I hope your father is feeling better today : )

Linda

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298