BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-02-29 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
Happy Birthday Ted.

Hope you have an awesome day!

Shelly

2012-02-29 1:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

Thanks for all the Birthday Wishes everybody!! I did not move into a new AG just yet, that's my gift for next year as I'll become 45-49er. I have a long term plan to start to "Geezer" folks in the future. The first part of the plan is working flawlessly as I'm definitely getting older, the second part where I get fast enough to "Geezer" anyone isn't coming along quite as well.

So after my family took me to IHOP for "The Lorax" breakfast for my birthday, complete w/Green Eggs and Ham. They then drove me to my LBS and told me to go get myself a bike. Pretty cool birthday surprise.

2012-02-29 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4069620

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

oriolepwr - 2012-02-27 8:59 PM
Ybeal - 2012-02-27 3:26 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TED! (sammeg)

Lá breithe shona 

Ah, this reminds me I owe you pics of the sneaks. I'll post them later.

How's the recovery from the fall coming along?

Edited by Sammeg 2012-02-29 1:34 PM
2012-02-29 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4067743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
peterflagg - 2012-02-26 11:48 PM

Well, to make sure that I keep my movement going, I signed up for a splint tri on May 6th. A fun run on April 6th and then a duathlon on April 28th. Also start some swim lessons tomorrow, along with a triathlon training on saturdays at my local YMCA. Really looking forward to it. I had something else to say but I am having a brain fart right now.

Getting those green squares on the training calendar are really a great way to maintain training motivation. I think maybe I'll follow your lead

Your YMCA has a tri specific training group? That's pretty cool.

2012-02-29 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4070751

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-02-28 12:13 PM

Question:  Has anyone attended the MultiSport Expo?  The one in NY is March 10th and I was wondering if its worth the day to go?  If so, what should I look out for?

Happy Birthday Ted

Have you ever been to a major expo before?   Its a fun thing to do for the first few times. After that it becomes a pain.      So it could be worth the day trip.    They will have lots of vendor items that you may or may not have seen before there at one time.  Usually the stuff they sell at an expo is cheaper than what find locally.    They will also bargain with you. 

They had a multi-sport expo that I did attend to in the Milwaukee area.   Since I have been to so many of these, that part was no biggie to me.  But there are seminars  and "how to" sessions that were beneficial.    For example  there was  one on transition and I got to see a pro do it a number of times.  (really amazing how they can do this so fast, I need work in this area)    

But you know  getting to see so much stuff for sale at good prices  kinda sux too.  Cause then you are like  "I want this and that"       Think Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack.     oh that looks good  I'll take 12 of those,  half dozen of that,  DOH who would buy a hat like that?????   oh um sorry,  looks good on YOU though  <snicker> 

The other nice thing is that you can do a time trial on a computrainer,   they have an indoor tri.    (rowing vs. swim tho  WEIRD)   I dunno  looks like fun.   

I'm thinking that it would be worth the day to you.    Lots of experts there,  ask questions!!!

2012-02-29 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4072652

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Ybeal - 2012-02-29 10:07 AM Feeling a little burnt out this week, not a good week for this to be happening.

Me too!!  sorry to hear it.  Must be something in the air.  or water,  or whatever.     Got to get my Mojo back!!    So do you!!   You have been doing so well.   Ah I'm not concerned, have confidence  you'll get un burnt quick I think.     

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-02-29 2:47 PM

2012-02-29 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4073015

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

fitmomma2010 - 2012-02-29 12:11 PM Happy Birthday Ted. Hope you have an awesome day! Shelly

SHELLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY!         just wanted to say that! 

2012-02-29 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4073302

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sammeg - 2012-02-29 1:31 PM

Lá breithe shona 

Ha yes you do!    ah I just had a headache and a sore elbow for a couple of days.  I'm fine.    PHYSICALLY  but as Peter says, mentally?  not too sure. 

Sooooooo  new bike huh!   quite a surprise there from your fam.   I'm jelly.   That's awesome!   what are you going to get?

2012-02-29 9:12 PM
in reply to: #4073284

User image

Expert
Hammond
Sammeg - 2012-02-29 1:23 PM

Thanks for all the Birthday Wishes everybody!! I did not move into a new AG just yet, that's my gift for next year as I'll become 45-49er. I have a long term plan to start to "Geezer" folks in the future. The first part of the plan is working flawlessly as I'm definitely getting older, the second part where I get fast enough to "Geezer" anyone isn't coming along quite as well.

So after my family took me to IHOP for "The Lorax" breakfast for my birthday, complete w/Green Eggs and Ham. They then drove me to my LBS and told me to go get myself a bike. Pretty cool birthday surprise.

That is awesome!!! So what pretty ride did you pick? I can't wait to see pics.

I have the same plan and I think mine is coming along about as well as yours- lol. I also plan to one day place first in my age group. I know though that in order to do this I'll have to stick around to about 80, that's about my best odds of being the only one in my age group to show up- hehe.

Shelly
2012-02-29 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4067743

User image

Expert
Hammond
peterflagg - 2012-02-26 10:48 PM

Well, to make sure that I keep my movement going, I signed up for a splint tri on May 6th. A fun run on April 6th and then a duathlon on April 28th. Also start some swim lessons tomorrow, along with a triathlon training on saturdays at my local YMCA. Really looking forward to it. I had something else to say but I am having a brain fart right now.

Peter
That all sounds awesome. I have got to get off my but and pick something to sign up for. It sure helps to convince me to get to the gym if I have fear of drowning or passing out in my next race- lol.

I wish we had more tri support locally. There really isn't any groups or training stuff within a 30 min drive of me. Everything is either New Orleans or Baton Rouge and it's a bummer.

Good luck with the swim lessons,

Shelly
2012-02-29 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4073508

User image

Expert
Hammond
oriolepwr - 2012-02-29 2:48 PM

fitmomma2010 - 2012-02-29 12:11 PM Happy Birthday Ted. Hope you have an awesome day! Shelly

SHELLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY!         just wanted to say that! 

So glad you did. Things have been crazy around here- my Pa Pa fell and broke his hip and I've been doing extra hospital duty since I am the nurse out of the bunch. Never mind that I work labor and delivery and am clueless to ortho stuff lol. My family still thinks I know it all- uugghh.

That was a fun little pick me up to come and see. It made me smile ;-)

Shelly

2012-03-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4073522

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
oriolepwr - 2012-02-29 3:52 PM

Lá breithe shona 

Ha yes you do!    ah I just had a headache and a sore elbow for a couple of days.  I'm fine.    PHYSICALLY  but as Peter says, mentally?  not too sure. 

Sooooooo  new bike huh!   quite a surprise there from your fam.   I'm jelly.   That's awesome!   what are you going to get?

Glad the physical recovery went well.

So, here you go Dave The Irish "Toad" sneaks.

Back on the subject of saving $. A good way to save some cash is getting free sneakers. Ha ha, fortunately, I have a vendor who likes to take me to NikeTown in Manhattan to design your own custom sneaks. As far as the BUAF on the back, my kids call me Toad(don't ask) and BUAF roughly translates to Toad in Irish.

The funny thing is the first time I went there, I just figured I'd get a knock around pair of free sneaks since I heard alota bad stuff about Nike running shoes and I was pretty happy w/the NB I was running in. I ended up going on vaca and forgot to bring my normal running shoes and was forced to use the Pegasus sneakers I had w/me. Loved them and have been using them ever since. I guess the moral of the story is use what works for you and don't get caught up in product hype. Just my .02.

2012-03-01 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4074120

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
fitmomma2010 - 2012-02-29 10:12 PM

That is awesome!!! So what pretty ride did you pick? I can't wait to see pics. I have the same plan and I think mine is coming along about as well as yours- lol. I also plan to one day place first in my age group. I know though that in order to do this I'll have to stick around to about 80, that's about my best odds of being the only one in my age group to show up- hehe. Shelly

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, still looking around. Turning over every stone so to speak. Still deciding on Tri or road bike.

2012-03-01 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Crazy week here in Indy and trying to keep up with my schedule.  Spent 1/2 the night in the ER with DH on Monday night.  He's been having serious pains way low in the groin area, which spread to his abdomen.  He's got a high pain tolerance, so it was pretty severe if I could convince to go to ER.  They were thinking possible appendicitis, but it turned out to be some infection in some random man-part.  Epi-something-itis.  Few days of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and he'll be fine.  Biking can cause this kind of thing.  But, he's grounded from training for 2 weeks.

So...missed a work out Tue AM b/c of being at the ER until the wee hours of Tue AM...made it up Wed night...but that threw me off for Thu b/c I didn't want to run Thu AM after running Wed PM.  And, now on Friday, I'll miss the AM spin class b/c I have to take DH to the airport for a work trip.  And now I'm on my own with the 3 kids with DH traveling for work for 3 days.  Ahhh!  Life got in my way this week! 

But...relentless forward progress, right gang?!  And...it's March 1st!  Yippee!  In "The World According to Jacki", spring begins on March 1st!  So Happy Spring to the Magical Mys-tri Tour!!

2012-03-01 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4074140

Rochester

"Peter
That all sounds awesome. I have got to get off my but and pick something to sign up for. It sure helps to convince me to get to the gym if I have fear of drowning or passing out in my next race- lol.

I wish we had more tri support locally. There really isn't any groups or training stuff within a 30 min drive of me. Everything is either New Orleans or Baton Rouge and it's a bummer.

Shelly"

Shelly,

Being signed up just motivates me to where I should be. I love having a goal in mind, it makes those days that I am sitting at home thinking of not going to the gym into days that I do have to go into the gym.

On a side note, swim classes start tomorrow for me, I am nervous. Most of my life I've been the chubby/fat kid, still did sports but I just hate the way I look without a shirt on. At the Y where I will be doing my swim class almost anywhere you are you can see the pool. In my mind, I will feel that people are looking, laughing or just goofing on me. So many times I don't care what people think but in my mind I "KNOW" that they are talking about me, call me crazy. I am sure they are not but in my head I think they are. Also, a win was that I had to buy new swim shorts because the other ones I had were too big and probably would fall off when I was getting out of the pool and believe me all those people don't want to see my "Brad Pitt" type butt, of course it doesn't look like Brad Pitt, more like Kevin James. LOL!

2012-03-01 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4076157

Rochester

DaDoo,

Sorry to hear about the your hubby. Is this something that happens frequently in guys that bike? I just wonder because I am really attached to my man parts, so is my lady, and I try to make sure it is treated well. If it is sick then I will make sure it gets the proper medical attention it deserves. LOL. Sorry to hear your training is out of whack d/t it also.

I can understand about the support thing. My GF's position is a 2 year appointed position and ends this July, she is sending out her resumes now and we are unsure if she will get a job here in Rochester or Buffalo. I love my job in Rochester and will not give it up so we would probably move to a half way point, of course I've already looked and they have NOTHING around there for triathlon stuff so I will be traveling for that. Kind of sucks!

2012-03-02 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4076181

User image

Veteran
peterflagg - 2012-03-01 8:56 PM

"Peter

Shelly"

Shelly,

Being signed up just motivates me to where I should be. I love having a goal in mind, it makes those days that I am sitting at home thinking of not going to the gym into days that I do have to go into the gym.

On a side note, swim classes start tomorrow for me, I am nervous. Most of my life I've been the chubby/fat kid, still did sports but I just hate the way I look without a shirt on. At the Y where I will be doing my swim class almost anywhere you are you can see the pool. In my mind, I will feel that people are looking, laughing or just goofing on me. So many times I don't care what people think but in my mind I "KNOW" that they are talking about me, call me crazy. I am sure they are not but in my head I think they are. Also, a win was that I had to buy new swim shorts because the other ones I had were too big and probably would fall off when I was getting out of the pool and believe me all those people don't want to see my "Brad Pitt" type butt, of course it doesn't look like Brad Pitt, more like Kevin James. LOL!

Peter, don't worry about what you look like at the pool, I know, easier said than done.  I also had to get over that issue, and although I still think about it sometimes, I try to follow up every thought like that with "At least my out here trying". I'm by no means the typical triathlete body, will probably always be in the Athena category since the last time I weighed less than the 150 cutoff I was in highschool

You'll be surprised at what a good workout swimming is when you really get into it.  I think you'll enjoy the lessons and they'll really help.  I'm noticing a big difference in my arms/shoulders from all the practice, I'm getting a little buff! Who knew?

Yvonne

2012-03-02 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4076511

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2012-03-02 7:33 AM
peterflagg - 2012-03-01 8:56 PM

"Peter

Shelly"

Shelly,

Peter, don't worry about what you look like at the pool, I know, easier said than done.  I also had to get over that issue, and although I still think about it sometimes, I try to follow up every thought like that with "At least my out here trying". I'm by no means the typical triathlete body, will probably always be in the Athena category since the last time I weighed less than the 150 cutoff I was in highschool

You'll be surprised at what a good workout swimming is when you really get into it.  I think you'll enjoy the lessons and they'll really help.  I'm noticing a big difference in my arms/shoulders from all the practice, I'm getting a little buff! Who knew?

Yvonne

Yvonne's right.  It's so hard to NOT feel like everyone is watching you...but I promise they are not.  They are focused on what they are doing and probably worrying that YOU'RE looking at them!  Stand tall and proud that you've made a commitment to yourself and you're following through with it!  I've never had lessons, but from everyone I know who has, you'll be very glad you did and will make great progress.  Now...if I could just give myself the same pep talk when I get in the pool!  And get myself some lessons!

Jacki

2012-03-02 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4074953

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sammeg - 2012-03-01 10:24 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-29 3:52 PM

Lá breithe shona 

Glad the physical recovery went well.

So, here you go Dave The Irish "Toad" sneaks.

Back on the subject of saving $. A good way to save some cash is getting free sneakers. Ha ha, fortunately, I have a vendor who likes to take me to NikeTown in Manhattan to design your own custom sneaks. As far as the BUAF on the back, my kids call me Toad(don't ask) and BUAF roughly translates to Toad in Irish.

The funny thing is the first time I went there, I just figured I'd get a knock around pair of free sneaks since I heard alota bad stuff about Nike running shoes and I was pretty happy w/the NB I was running in. I ended up going on vaca and forgot to bring my normal running shoes and was forced to use the Pegasus sneakers I had w/me. Loved them and have been using them ever since. I guess the moral of the story is use what works for you and don't get caught up in product hype. Just my .02.

Thanks for posting the pic Ted!    Pretty cool, but thought there would be more green!      I was thinking I would never get to see them       I think its great your kids get to call their dad "toad"  says a lot about you.   

Custom shoes is a nice vendor perk!   Id like that.     

The thing is about shoes  is that its usually a long road to find the ones that seem to work the best for you.    Its great you found yours in a unique way.       I have played around on the Nike website and made my own.    I almost feel like getting a pair just do to that!  but then I remember how hard it was for me to figure out the shoes that work for me the best and just stick with it.  Every time I try a diff shoe   I get burned.     So absolutely agree use whats best for you!

2012-03-02 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4075016

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sammeg - 2012-03-01 10:43 AM
fitmomma2010 - 2012-02-29 10:12 PM

That is awesome!!! So what pretty ride did you pick? I can't wait to see pics. I have the same plan and I think mine is coming along about as well as yours- lol. I also plan to one day place first in my age group. I know though that in order to do this I'll have to stick around to about 80, that's about my best odds of being the only one in my age group to show up- hehe. Shelly

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, still looking around. Turning over every stone so to speak. Still deciding on Tri or road bike.

I love the classic beauty and handling of a road bike.   But honestly, ever since I got into triathlon I NEVER use my road bike.   Don't get me wrong.  For someone new to Tri  and does not know how much interest they will have in Tri going forward, a road bike would make the most sense.

If I could have only one bike, it would be the tri bike.      95% of my cycling situations are best suited for riding the tri bike.      I never thought this would be the case.   I always thought I would have both or use the road bike more.

Its just very very hard to stay "one" with more than one bike at a time.   You know its that ZEN thing....  do people say that anymore?          Sure you can train on the road bike, but  you can also just ride with the tri bike.  Know what I mean?   You don't have to ride the tri bike in aero position.     

A road bike is arguably more comfortable, but I would say once you are "one" with Tri bike   that stops being something you are aware of.      A Tri bike  and aero bars  are typically not legal to use in a road or criterium race.     So the how much interest in sanctioned cycling specific races and the "will I be sticking with triathlon"   is how I would look at it.    YMMV

2012-03-02 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4076157

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DaDooRunRun - 2012-03-01 7:36 PM

Crazy week here in Indy and trying to keep up with my schedule.  Spent 1/2 the night in the ER with DH on Monday night.  He's been having serious pains way low in the groin area, which spread to his abdomen.  He's got a high pain tolerance, so it was pretty severe if I could convince to go to ER.  They were thinking possible appendicitis, but it turned out to be some infection in some random man-part.  Epi-something-itis.  Few days of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and he'll be fine.  Biking can cause this kind of thing.  But, he's grounded from training for 2 weeks.

So...missed a work out Tue AM b/c of being at the ER until the wee hours of Tue AM...made it up Wed night...but that threw me off for Thu b/c I didn't want to run Thu AM after running Wed PM.  And, now on Friday, I'll miss the AM spin class b/c I have to take DH to the airport for a work trip.  And now I'm on my own with the 3 kids with DH traveling for work for 3 days.  Ahhh!  Life got in my way this week! 

But...relentless forward progress, right gang?!  And...it's March 1st!  Yippee!  In "The World According to Jacki", spring begins on March 1st!  So Happy Spring to the Magical Mys-tri Tour!!

Happy spring to you too!       "Random man-parts"  something humorous about that.  Not sure what.     But ugh  more drama for our gang!  sheesh  super sorry to hear this.     As long as they treat it with anti-bionics and not amputation.   Thank God I use the adamo  saddle now.         Hope you will be able to stay sane and get some training in!! 

2012-03-03 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran

1 hour on the bike today, boy my thighs hurt, almost maintained a 16 mph average. 

So, what is a good bike pace for a sprint tri?  (Yes, I know, as fast as I can go)LOL 

I went to Road Runner today for their sale:  I bought a pair of Virbram 5 finger sprint shoes.  Kind of cool

Hope all you guys in the midwest are OK, can't believe the amount of twisters already.

FYI, I have a friend that volunteers for the Red Cross. If anyone wants to help, she recommends to give locally.

God Bless

2012-03-03 6:40 PM
in reply to: #4078845

User image

Veteran
TLakatos1259 - 2012-03-03 4:10 PM

1 hour on the bike today, boy my thighs hurt, almost maintained a 16 mph average. 

So, what is a good bike pace for a sprint tri?  (Yes, I know, as fast as I can go)LOL 

I went to Road Runner today for their sale:  I bought a pair of Virbram 5 finger sprint shoes.  Kind of cool

Hope all you guys in the midwest are OK, can't believe the amount of twisters already.

FYI, I have a friend that volunteers for the Red Cross. If anyone wants to help, she recommends to give locally.

God Bless

Tornados hit about 90 miles south of me, so we are a-ok.  The devastation I've seen from news reports is just awful.  Praying for all those affected.  In spring, we are diligent to watch the skies, pay attention to the radar warnings, and huddle up in our basement whenever necessary. 

Everyone take care!   Jacki

2012-03-04 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4078991

User image

Got back from vacation and needed a vacation from my vacation, so didn't restart my real training until today.  Hope everyone is feeling better.
2012-03-05 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran

I think this question may have been asked before. 

How far apart should I schedule races?  I'm primarily planning on Sprint Tri's, and I may throw in the NYC Tri (Olympic).

Tom (May the Legs be with You)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44