BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-19 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4585770

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

Jo63 - 2013-01-19 8:01 AM Jackie, great running! Love the t- shirt Jen, .I hope your run is pain free, I got an email from tri sport the Kurt Kinetic is on sale for 369.00 I was thinking about getting this one seeing as I have a VERY generic trainer. The cycleops fuid2 is on sale also for 339.95 Tracy, good to hear you are over the flu hope that foot heals quick and you can get back out there running. Dina, how's the basement and that new puppy? Bhargavs, great breakthrough on your swim . It is alway a great feeling to feel good in the water. Dirk have to agree with you on the honesty factor, I have lost employees because they couldn't take me being honest. That is one thing I have had to learn big time is how to choose my words so I don't offend. Warren I hope you and your family is feeling better. So many people seem to be sick yesterday this woman came in to the salon and I started doing her nails and she proceeds to tell me she isn't feeling good (she looked terrible) and then she said she thinks she is going to throw up....I was thinking where is my mask and why didn't she stay home...ugh lots of hand sanitizer and emergen-cs So I have been tracking my food for almost 2 weeks and as hard as I try I can't seem to meet my calories for the day like I said no wonder I burnt out for the IM. Iam adding more foods, trying to find lower fat higher calorie/protein/carb foods and I do have to say Iam feeling so much better, have more energy...and quite honestly feel fantastic! I even had a couple clients make comments, I must be giving off feel good vibes lol... My future daughter in law want to do the HIM with me in Syracuse, ( and yes i still ahve not signed up i am a little bit scared of DNFIng again) anyway...she is a runner but has never done a tri do you think I should talk her out of it and advise to do shorter distances first? Or do you think with help she will be ok? She is so excited and determined I don't want to discourage her.

JoAnne sign up already! I want to see you in Syracuse and there is going to be a good group of BT'ers there. Stop worrying about DNFing, you definitely can do this HIM! If you can get through the IMWI swim and most of the bike while you were sick you should have no problem finishing this race.

Now for your future daughter in law I agree with Matt and Dina. It is very ambitious to try to do a HIM right off the bat. I trained for 11 months and did 3 races before I did mine this past season. I think if she starts now she might have a chance to do it. The hardest part in my opinion might be the swim. She runs already so that should not be a problem and I think she could pick up the bike quickly. She might want to do a few sprints before the HIM so she can experience what a Tri is like as well. Also, Syracuse is very tough, the bike is uphill for the first 21 miles and the run is two loops of hills so that might not be an ideal choice for her first HIM but I would never be the one to say that she couldn't do it.

2013-01-19 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4585863

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
jgerbodegrant - 2013-01-19 10:31 AM
DirkP - 2013-01-19 7:18 AM
jenbmosley - 2013-01-19 5:58 AM

Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer -- gonna check it out today.   

Check out the Kurt Kinetic trainers as well.  These trainers always get really good reviews in every commentary I've heard.  I don't own one (Tony does) but I would look at getting one when I need to quit using the one I currently have.

I have to second this.  We have a couple Kurt Kinetic trainers and a cycleops fluid 2.  They are both very nice.  I like my KK and my wife likes the COF2.  I think the kurt is just a tiny bit more quiet.  But honestly, I don't think you would be able to tell if you had any other noise in the room at all.  

I had a nice run this morning with the pup.  She's getting so good on the leash, I'm so proud of her.  

Jonathan that is awesome, I had my pup out this morning and tried running her as much as she could go. She has so much energy I wish I could bottle it up and use it for myself. We were pretty much doing sprints and we were chasing each other and the ball around.

I'm hoping to get a run in today as well. I would like to get at least 6.5 miles in as I have not run all week and I am soooo tired. Just waiting for my wife to get up, I let her sleep in and am watching the puppy. She needs constant supervision or she gets into way too much trouble. I'll probably go cleanup the yard as well this afternoon as she tries to eat sticks and leaves so I need to cleanup what I can back there.

2013-01-19 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4585862

User image

New York
strikyr - 2013-01-19 10:30 AM
DirkP - 2013-01-19 7:18 AM
jenbmosley - 2013-01-19 5:58 AM

Cyclops Fluid 2 trainer -- gonna check it out today.   

Check out the Kurt Kinetic trainers as well.  These trainers always get really good reviews in every commentary I've heard.  I don't own one (Tony does) but I would look at getting one when I need to quit using the one I currently have.

Jen I have Kurt Kenetic road machine and the bike computer which has a power meter and it is cheap. It only works with the KK trainers. Check out Sunrise Tri I know they have trainers on sale and Karl actually bought one from those guys. I can tell you I have bought quite a bit of stuff from them including my Cervelo P2 and my KK trainer and the KK bike computer and they have never done me wrong. The owner Frank is a really good guy and this place caters to triathletes. Karl will vouch for me.

One more vote for the Kurt Kinetic road machine. Also, I am not sure if this is true, but trainer road's virtual power curves supposedly are most accurate with KK's trainers. So that may be a consideration.

2013-01-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Tony.....it's done Iam signed up thanks for the push!
2013-01-19 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4586050

User image

Expert
MI

Okay, long update from me...

I don't think my elbows are going to be completely healed any time soon.  I do way too much on a daily basis which irritates them that I just don't see it happening- typing, mouse clicking, driving, preparing food, etc... I have been meaning to get to the pool to at least see if there are drills I can do which won't aggravate the elbow, but I guess I just have not been all that motivated...

My hip situation has eased up and has gotten back to a manageable point.  I will still be seeing a physical therapist, but that hasn't happened yet, as I still have not gotten in to see my regular doctor to get a PT script which I need.  I can't get in during the week, and the soonest I can get in is next Saturday.  At first I was going to see a random doctor and made an appointment for today, but since it's been manageable and my regular doctor at least has my problem in the records since I talked to her about it a couple years ago... and frankly the new doctor I made an appointment with had awful reviews online...  so I decided to wait to see my previous doctor.  In the meantime I have been getting in for 30 minute massages with a massage therapist recommended by a Michigan BTer, so I think that's helped too.  But with the physical therapist, I'm hoping she'll be able to re-align my hips!  And that should start in a couple of weeks...

I've missed a couple of runs for various reasons, but I had a long run today (9 miles) and for the third long run in a row (previous both 7 miles), I have been very pleasantly surprised at how good I've felt!  Today I averaged around 9:15 for most of the run.  The previous 2 runs I averaged around 9:30-9:40.  Let me tell you, over the summer/fall, I believe my long runs averaged around 10:30, which is why I'm so surprised I feel so comfortable at these recent paces!  Whenever I do long runs, I just do them at a pace that feels comfortable, and I've always been content going around 10:30, and I think I rarely went under 10mm.  There has been some recent talk here about some of you having trouble slowing it down, and I laughed because I think I must be the only one without that problem.  I don't mind going slow because it's easier for me! Tongue out  If something is supposed to be slow, I'll make it slow!

I will add I do think I can attribute my recent surprisingly comfortable long runs to my frequency in running.  As you know, I had been trying to run around 7 times a week with the 100/100 challenge, and that must have helped.  So I will add to everyone else, frequency prevails in running!

Finally, as some of you know, I have been working to start a nonprofit on the side for Detroit students.  We have come out with our first newsletter, so check it out!

http://atlanticimpact.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Winter-2013-Atlantic-Impact.pdf

2013-01-19 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4585867

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
jpbis26 - 2013-01-19 10:36 AM

pistuo - 2013-01-19 12:42 AM Cyclops 2 Fluid Trainer is nice.  I got mine from a trusted seller on ebay for 250 w/ no tax and free shipping... although I hate riding on a trainer... ha!  

Ok. Confession time. Hopefully I will not be kicked out of the group, but I sold my Cyclops 2 trainer on craigslist because I could not force myself to use it regularly. That being said, trainers are awesome if you use them. 2 years ago, I did Jorge's plan and some Spinervals DVDs...great stuff and convenient b/c I could do it right at home.

I admit, I'm a bit regretful that I sold it...but I used the cash to get my son a nice used BMX race bike which he uses way more than I ever used the trainer

Jackie -

You are too funny. Hopefully, someone is putting it to good use. Since my husband works out of town 3 days one week , 4 days the other week, I struggle to find training time on those days. A lunch swim is usually all I can do. I think I will be able to get myself to use it regularly. I think.

2013-01-19 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Jo63 - 2013-01-19 2:03 PM Tony.....it's done Iam signed up thanks for the push!

Congrats! You go girl!

2013-01-19 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Sam great newsletter that is awesome what you guys are doing.
Great news on your runs, it gives me encouragement cuz I am pretty slow although I really pushed it today and brought my per minute mile down by a minute from last year but I was pretty winded while doing it and got the HR up to 188
2013-01-19 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Jo63 - 2013-01-19 1:03 PM Tony.....it's done Iam signed up thanks for the push!

Congrats! Happy training

2013-01-19 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Got my bike back from the shop yesterday & it looks great. Can't wait to ride it. I've found a new friend (M) to ride with who is about my current speed, so I won't have to ride solo (motivational issues there). M is the brother -in-law of G (one of my old riding buddies) who is trying to get into shape. We have been meeting up & doing shorter ride for the past few weeks. Every once in a while, G shows up & forces us to pick up the pace, A LOT. I think he's trying to whip us both into shape.

2013-01-19 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Jo63 - 2013-01-19 2:03 PM Tony.....it's done Iam signed up thanks for the push!

JoAnne that's awesome, I can't wait to do this one and see you there. We'll either have lot's of fun or we can keep each other company out on the course if it becomes a sufferfest. I'm hoping that won't be the case.

2013-01-19 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4586086

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
michgirlsk - 2013-01-19 2:51 PM

I don't think my elbows are going to be completely healed any time soon.  I do way too much on a daily basis which irritates them that I just don't see it happening- typing, mouse clicking, driving, preparing food, etc... I have been meaning to get to the pool to at least see if there are drills I can do which won't aggravate the elbow, but I guess I just have not been all that motivated...

My hip situation has eased up and has gotten back to a manageable point.  I will still be seeing a physical therapist, but that hasn't happened yet, as I still have not gotten in to see my regular doctor to get a PT script which I need.  I can't get in during the week, and the soonest I can get in is next Saturday.  At first I was going to see a random doctor and made an appointment for today, but since it's been manageable and my regular doctor at least has my problem in the records since I talked to her about it a couple years ago... and frankly the new doctor I made an appointment with had awful reviews online...  so I decided to wait to see my previous doctor.  In the meantime I have been getting in for 30 minute massages with a massage therapist recommended by a Michigan BTer, so I think that's helped too.  But with the physical therapist, I'm hoping she'll be able to re-align my hips!  And that should start in a couple of weeks...

I've missed a couple of runs for various reasons, but I had a long run today (9 miles) and for the third long run in a row (previous both 7 miles), I have been very pleasantly surprised at how good I've felt!  Today I averaged around 9:15 for most of the run.  The previous 2 runs I averaged around 9:30-9:40.  Let me tell you, over the summer/fall, I believe my long runs averaged around 10:30, which is why I'm so surprised I feel so comfortable at these recent paces!  Whenever I do long runs, I just do them at a pace that feels comfortable, and I've always been content going around 10:30, and I think I rarely went under 10mm.  There has been some recent talk here about some of you having trouble slowing it down, and I laughed because I think I must be the only one without that problem.  I don't mind going slow because it's easier for me! Tongue out  If something is supposed to be slow, I'll make it slow!

I will add I do think I can attribute my recent surprisingly comfortable long runs to my frequency in running.  As you know, I had been trying to run around 7 times a week with the 100/100 challenge, and that must have helped.  So I will add to everyone else, frequency prevails in running!

Finally, as some of you know, I have been working to start a nonprofit on the side for Detroit students.  We have come out with our first newsletter, so check it out!

http://atlanticimpact.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Winter-2013-Atlantic-Impact.pdf

Samantha glad to hear that you are feeling somewhat better. That is great news in regards to your running, it sounds like you are making gains there. I totally agree that frequency and slow running are a great way to improve your running. I think the guys have been preaching that from day one. I definitely do a lot of slow running and I have see the improvement in my speed although I'm not a very fast runner I have surprised myself at times though. Keep us posted on your progress. BTW I thought you guys did a great job with the newsletter.

2013-01-19 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4586185

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
jpbis26 - 2013-01-19 4:18 PM

Got my bike back from the shop yesterday & it looks great. Can't wait to ride it. I've found a new friend (M) to ride with who is about my current speed, so I won't have to ride solo (motivational issues there). M is the brother -in-law of G (one of my old riding buddies) who is trying to get into shape. We have been meeting up & doing shorter ride for the past few weeks. Every once in a while, G shows up & forces us to pick up the pace, A LOT. I think he's trying to whip us both into shape.

Jackie glad to hear about the bike and you having a riding partner. That's great and even better that you are getting that push from your old riding partner. Nothing better than having someone who can push harder than you can to try and motivate you and make you keep up.

2013-01-19 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

I got a lot of exercise today running after the dog this morning and then getting in a 6.5 mile run. It was a beautiful day out today but very, very windy. Did some yard work after that and chased the dog around again. I have to watch her like a hawk or she'll try and eat anything and everything, branches, leaves, sticks and dirt you name it she tries to eat it.

On a more serious note I am seriously thinking about defering the NYC marathon until 2014. I have until 1/25 to decide what I am going to do. I can either get the refund and then wait to see if I can get back in again or I can run 2013, 2014 or 2015 but I have to pay the entry fee again. It doesn't carry over which I think is very unfair. I sent these clowns and email asking for clarification and of course no response. I am leaning towards 2014, there is no way I am doing and IM in 2014 and I could focus more on the marathon and really try for my goal time. I'm sort of leaning that way right now.

2013-01-19 6:17 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Jackie, congrats on getting a riding partner.

Tony, good luck on your decision.  Whatever it is, I was always taught to make it, then don't look back.

Samantha, glad you are getting better.

Sounds like the whole group is getting better and getting ready to perform well doing the upcoming season.

2013-01-19 7:48 PM

User image

New York
I was at the gym yesterday and a trainer I am friendly with suggested I use one of the medicine balls instead of the foam roller to roll out my shoulder/pecs/back. And it was all fine until I felt like I tweaked something in my chest while working on the ball. Went for a swim today and the slight inconvenience from yesterday morphed into a knot in the chest that seemed to hurt every time I took a deep breath. Off to the hospital I went and luckily they said it was just some kind of a muscle pull and nothing serious. So I've got some anti-inflammatory pills and they gave me a muscle relaxant and I now am supposed to do nothing for a few days! I can only laugh at myself for all the random ways I've found to get injured.

2013-01-19 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4586086

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
michgirlsk - 2013-01-19 2:51 PM

I think you should try changing your work position at your desk starting Monday.  Raise your seat a little and try to tilt your key board up or down a little bit.  If you have tendonitis or carpal tunnel then it may serve you well to change things up a bit.  I do this from time to time at work to allow some of the positions of my hands and elbows to change and get out of whatever the current normal position might be.  When I was using my hands all the time in the field working from a bucket all the time years ago I had a horrible time with tendonitis/carpal tunnel.  Once pushing a pencil around a desk became part of my normal routine I began feeling that pain again.  I started adjusting my position occasionally and things seemed to go away after a while.

Your long run paces are just as you already called it; better because of the frequency of your runs.  If you are able to continue this pattern the racing season with prove to be very good to you.  Good job!

2013-01-19 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4586185

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jpbis26 - 2013-01-19 4:18 PM

I am really glad you've been able to pick up a partner.  Having the luxury of a partner will help you stay focused and maintain accountability to stay on track.  Try to share each others goals for the upcoming season so each of you know what the other one is shooting for and you should find that to be motivating.

And make sure you get some rides in with G.  While they are pushing the pace you'll be getting much more fit that much faster.

2013-01-19 8:11 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I thought I would take the time to provide my long ride information from today.  I hadn't ridden for 3 hours on the trainer over this winter cycle until today and I tried to break that in STUPID fashion.  I wanted to get some really difficult work done and push the envelope of pain and I feel confident I succeeded in spades.

For the last 15-20 minutes I thought I was going to have to quit the WO.  I was completely exhausted and unable to push all the way up to the targeted 95-100% MLSS (155-164 BPM).  My shortfall was only 1 BPM but it was short nonetheless.  I think my problem was lack of calories, which didn't really bother me much.  I knew I would be well out of normal glycogen stores after riding for so long but I wanted to attempt to teach my body to burn other sources of fuel as well.  (Besides I am trying to lose weight on Jonathan's weight loss plan.)  I took in about 150-170 calories from a granola bar and some dried fruit about 1.5 hours in, then took nothing else.  I used water and Powerade Zero for my hydration.

Here is my WO:

WU:
10' @ 65-75%
MS:
30' @ 80-85%
10' @ 90%
Alternating
3x30' @ 85--90%
3x10' @ 95-100%
CD:
10' @ 65-75%
2013-01-19 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4586407

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

bhargavs - 2013-01-19 8:48 PM I was at the gym yesterday and a trainer I am friendly with suggested I use one of the medicine balls instead of the foam roller to roll out my shoulder/pecs/back. And it was all fine until I felt like I tweaked something in my chest while working on the ball. Went for a swim today and the slight inconvenience from yesterday morphed into a knot in the chest that seemed to hurt every time I took a deep breath. Off to the hospital I went and luckily they said it was just some kind of a muscle pull and nothing serious. So I've got some anti-inflammatory pills and they gave me a muscle relaxant and I now am supposed to do nothing for a few days! I can only laugh at myself for all the random ways I've found to get injured.

Hopefully this proves to be just what you said, a little tweak.  I have never heard of anyone rolling their pecs with a ball.  It sounds to me like you either overstretched it or cramped up badly.

BTW,  the rest of you have been really busy today!  I'm glad you new dog owners have been able to get out with the dogs and run a little bit.  It sounds like fun to have a dog to do that with but I am not planning, nor am I interested in owning another dog right now.  We have our mini dachshund and that's enough excitement for me.

Edited by DirkP 2013-01-19 8:15 PM
2013-01-19 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4586410

User image

Expert
MI
DirkP - 2013-01-19 8:53 PM 

I think you should try changing your work position at your desk starting Monday.  Raise your seat a little and try to tilt your key board up or down a little bit.  If you have tendonitis or carpal tunnel then it may serve you well to change things up a bit.  I do this from time to time at work to allow some of the positions of my hands and elbows to change and get out of whatever the current normal position might be.  When I was using my hands all the time in the field working from a bucket all the time years ago I had a horrible time with tendonitis/carpal tunnel.  Once pushing a pencil around a desk became part of my normal routine I began feeling that pain again.  I started adjusting my position occasionally and things seemed to go away after a while.

Thanks Dirk.  I will look into this to see if there are ways I can change my position.  I didn't think of that.

2013-01-19 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4586419

User image

New York
DirkP - 2013-01-19 9:13 PM

Hopefully this proves to be just what you said, a little tweak.  I have never heard of anyone rolling their pecs with a ball.  It sounds to me like you either overstretched it or cramped up badly.

Yes, I was totally hesitant trying this out and I figured this must have been something the trainers learnt at some workshop. And then I thought to myself - no one gets injured trying to stretch/roll out and of course here i am

2013-01-19 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4586438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
bhargavs - 2013-01-19 8:37 PM
DirkP - 2013-01-19 9:13 PM

Yes, I was totally hesitant trying this out and I figured this must have been something the trainers learnt at some workshop. And then I thought to myself - no one gets injured trying to stretch/roll out and of course here i am

Just so you dont feel like a dork- I tweaked a muscle lifting a small furniture dolly last week... 

2013-01-19 10:46 PM
in reply to: #4586417

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
DirkP - 2013-01-19 9:11 PM

I thought I would take the time to provide my long ride information from today.  I hadn't ridden for 3 hours on the trainer over this winter cycle until today and I tried to break that in STUPID fashion.  I wanted to get some really difficult work done and push the envelope of pain and I feel confident I succeeded in spades.

For the last 15-20 minutes I thought I was going to have to quit the WO.  I was completely exhausted and unable to push all the way up to the targeted 95-100% MLSS (155-164 BPM).  My shortfall was only 1 BPM but it was short nonetheless.  I think my problem was lack of calories, which didn't really bother me much.  I knew I would be well out of normal glycogen stores after riding for so long but I wanted to attempt to teach my body to burn other sources of fuel as well.  (Besides I am trying to lose weight on Jonathan's weight loss plan.)  I took in about 150-170 calories from a granola bar and some dried fruit about 1.5 hours in, then took nothing else.  I used water and Powerade Zero for my hydration.

Here is my WO:

WU:
10' @ 65-75%
MS:
30' @ 80-85%
10' @ 90%
Alternating
3x30' @ 85--90%
3x10' @ 95-100%
CD:
10' @ 65-75%

Dirk great job finishing up that workout. That's a very tough workout especially for three hours on the trainer. I can see you don't mess around and FWIW does it really matter if you missed the 3x10 @95-100 by 1 BPM? If you were able to get your HR up and keep it that close at the end of that workout I would say that is pretty damn good.

2013-01-20 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Jackie: Great news on the bike and finding people to ride with!

Tony: Good to hear you are feeling better and that you got a good run in. It stinks about having to pay another entry fee if you defer, but I would highly recommend it. I did both last year I will just leave it at that.

Jen: How's the knee feeling?

Bhargavs: ouch! Heal quickly.

Dirk: great ride!! 3 hours on the trainer......

I am so happy I switched my ride to a run yesterday it is pretty cold here today 45 yesterday 8 this morning. I will put in a short run on the treadmill too.... after reading Sams post Iam motivated, so am going to add more running! thanks Sam!

Edited by Jo63 2013-01-20 6:46 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119