BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-02-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Cynthia - Doesn't get much worse! I will be praying for you and your husband.

2014-02-17 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Speaking of swimming, 1400m in the pool today. For some reason, of all three triathlon disciplines, despite my love of water I find it hardest to stay motivated when swimming laps in the pool. I'm working on drills so my workout has some structure to it however I find myself dragging mentally by the end.

Any suggestions?

2014-02-17 7:43 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by MOlsen

Speaking of swimming, 1400m in the pool today. For some reason, of all three triathlon disciplines, despite my love of water I find it hardest to stay motivated when swimming laps in the pool. I'm working on drills so my workout has some structure to it however I find myself dragging mentally by the end.

Any suggestions?

If you can find a Master's group, that accountability can be helpful. My wife liked her underwater MP3 player, but I couldn't stand it.

I'm not one to talk to about motivation right now though - I've been dragging a$$ this entire week. Today's workout was snowblowing another 5 inches off my driveway. I love winter, but this is ridiculous.
2014-02-17 11:30 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I went fishing all day today (MON) from 4:00 am wake up till 8:00 return. Tomorrow is somehow a 1hr trainer ride on my calendar. I'm typing it here so I can get motivated to get on the bike tomorrow. Time for bed.
2014-02-18 10:39 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Kevin - I checked your log just to make sure you got back in the groove after spending the day fishing. Nice work!

How was the fishing?
2014-02-18 10:43 AM

User image

Expert

Any suggestions?

Mark - I have the same problem. I haven't been able to hook up with a master's group - but Charles's suggestion is a good one. I hear they a engaging and can really improve your stroke and speed. I always find someone in the pool that I can race - the competition keeps me focused. Since I usually pick women in their 70's I usually win!

2014-02-18 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
With another 6 inches of snow on the way (Charles - I feel your pain!), I got my swim and PT workout in early. I only did 1200 - but I had the strangest pain in the back of my left knee. Every time I kicked down with the leg leg, I felt that slight ache/pain that I've never felt before. I tried stretching - but that didn't really help. Has this happened to anyone else?

I love running in the snow - so I plan on heading out and getting in 4 miles this afternoon.
2014-02-18 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Let's spend some time talking about eating well. I know a lot of you including myself are trying to eat better in order to lose some weight. What are some issues you have with food? OR What would you like advice on when it comes to healthy eating?
2014-02-18 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Qua17

Let's spend some time talking about eating well. I know a lot of you including myself are trying to eat better in order to lose some weight. What are some issues you have with food? OR What would you like advice on when it comes to healthy eating?

I'll tee off on this one first. My biggest problem when it comes to food is that I eat compulsively when I'm stressed. For example - during this job search, I have actually managed to gain weight despite working out more than a hour and a half each day. I find that once i start eating poorly, its off to the races. I'd like to be able to stop before things get out of hand. Any thoughts on this one for me?
2014-02-18 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

With another 6 inches of snow on the way (Charles - I feel your pain!), I got my swim and PT workout in early. I only did 1200 - but I had the strangest pain in the back of my left knee. Every time I kicked down with the leg leg, I felt that slight ache/pain that I've never felt before. I tried stretching - but that didn't really help. Has this happened to anyone else?

I love running in the snow - so I plan on heading out and getting in 4 miles this afternoon.
I don't know if you remember, but I had a weird knee pain after my 1/2 IM distance in 2012. I trained for that race on the course at 17 mph. When I did the event, I rode over 19 mph. I think a lot of that gain came from pulling up on the backside of my pedal stroke, especially uphills. Imediately after the race, I had a weird pain in the back of my knee that lasted for a few months. I'm pretty sure it came from the pulling up on the backside of the bike pedal stroke, though I can't say for sure. If I were you, I'd take it easy, like with any new pain, could just be a one-two time thing. It could also be a little more serious and require dialing back on your intensities or volumes, or it could be the start of something chronic. Evaluate it closely.

I continue to be impressed with how well you push on through adversity. You get the A+ for that, but I doubt you want to add any more adversity than what your already dealing with.
2014-02-18 2:47 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

New user
I am so sorry Cynthia. Those furry beasts become so near and dear to our hearts, I am sorry you lost your friend.

2014-02-18 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I'll tee off on this one first. My biggest problem when it comes to food is that I eat compulsively when I'm stressed. For example - during this job search, I have actually managed to gain weight despite working out more than a hour and a half each day. I find that once i start eating poorly, its off to the races. I'd like to be able to stop before things get out of hand. Any thoughts on this one for me?

I wish I had a solution for you - it would probably be one for me, too.

I weigh-in on Fridays, following the same protocol each Friday for consistent numbers. Last Friday, I saw 183 and change - my lowest of the year, and two consistent 1.5+ pound losses in as many weeks. A good number, and proud of it. So I celebrated it by eating a whole pizza - and they screwed up my order (I like extra sauce, not half sauce), but I still ate it anyway. Saturday I ate well, and Sunday I screwed it all up again.

I think it is a combination of things with me. First, life stress translates to food, and I hate that link. Right now, my wife and I are having some troubles - she's gained back most, if not all, of the weight she lost about a year or 18 months ago (like 70 pounds), and she struggles with all the related issues that occur. She fell off the training wagon, and we still ate together - when I was training for my olys and marathon and averaging 12+ hours per week of training. She feels crappy, so she eats, and she feels crappy because she eats, so she doesn't work out, which makes her feel crappy, which causes her to eat . . .

Now she's considering bariatric surgery, which is a huge lifestyle change, but probably the only real, long-term solution for her. It breeds other issues though - for the first few year or two after the surgery, she'll only be able to eat an egg-size portion of food at a time, and won't be able to drink and eat at the same time.

That impacts our relationship - I love to cook, and I love food, and one of the ways I express my love for her is through cooking and dinner - and now it looks like I'm going to lose that venue. Great meals, like a Brazilian steakhouse or the Italian place we went the first time I told her I loved her - those would be a thing of the past. All-inclusive trip to Mexico - what's the point if you can't eat?

Then I have to stop myself - in all these things, my mind equates gluttony to pleasure and value. That's f*$%*# up. Going to Mexico for a vacation, and all I can think about is eating and drinking? Not about spending time with my wife, or snorkeling, or seeing Tenochtilan or Ixtapa?

Like today - lunch at Panera - Cobb Salad, no dressing (dressing is a distraction when there's avocado and bacon on the table) - a perfect meal: 600 calories, 49g(!) protein, 10g fiber, all kinds of good fats - and it's delicious. And in my mind, it's still a poor substitute for a burger and fries, full of cholesterol and white carbs. The salad is the "other," even though, given my choices for lunch today, it was probably the tastyiest thing available. It was good, good for me, and fits perfectly with my goals - and it's still labeled as a substitute, and thus inferior.

I used to joke that my body was a fast-moving food dumpster - and I am struggling with the realization that joke is the truth.

I know I'm the outlier - I've lost over 100 pounds, and kept it off for going on two years. Statistically, that puts me in a group with less than 3% of those that have lost the weight. Weight loss has a lower long-term positive outcome percentage than most cancer treatments.

The struggle - the battle - is that I have a problem with food. There is something wrong with me, and screwy in my head, and I don't treat it right. It is an addiction, a destructive force in my life.

Then, on top of all that, I ask my wife what I can do to help and support her - and I know she wants to help and support me, but when she suggests, politely and with love and tact, that I put the crappy pizza down, it made me angry and self-loathing and unhappy.

Between us, I don't know how hyperbolic the drug-addict metaphor actually is - whether we're bingeing on pizza, or passing a needle between our veins, what's the real difference? Both cause huge, drastic long-term health effects, and it's had a huge negative impact on our relationship. The difference is only one of degree, not fundamental nature, perhaps.

These are hard things to write.

As she marches toward bariatric surgery, I am forced to reconcile with the lifestyle changes that will follow, and that I will have to adapt to, and need to confront my own problems. Three preliminary tests and we've hit our deductible and out-of-pocket caps for the year ( f*&^k you Blue Cross / Blue Shield), and she's done a ton of research and read a lot of books on the matter - so for all practical purposes, the decision has been made.

All that's left is to face the consequences. My signature is from Plato - "the first and greatest victory is to conquer self."

Here's another:

I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
Round and round they sped.
I was disturbed at this;
I accosted the man.
“It is futile,” I said,
“You can never —”

“You lie,” he cried,
And ran on.

-Stephen Crane
2014-02-18 5:13 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I'll add a simplistic look at food: If I don't plan ahead I tend not to eat well. When there is nothing at (home/work) for the next meal it leads to a stop at some unhealthy quick food outlet.

To combat this, on my way to work every Monday morning I stop and pick up salad fixings for lunch (spinach, fresh salsa, and a protein like chicken or tuna) and something easy for breakfast (usually oatmeal and yogurt) along with some fruit. Fortunately there is space in the office fridge to hold my items. This way I have something waiting for me that is healthy and within my goals. Preparing meals at home and bringing them to work will also work the same way.

2014-02-18 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I wish I had a solution for you - it would probably be one for me, too.

I weigh-in on Fridays, following the same protocol each Friday for consistent numbers. Last Friday, I saw 183 and change - my lowest of the year, and two consistent 1.5+ pound losses in as many weeks. A good number, and proud of it. So I celebrated it by eating a whole pizza - and they screwed up my order (I like extra sauce, not half sauce), but I still ate it anyway. Saturday I ate well, and Sunday I screwed it all up again.

I think it is a combination of things with me. First, life stress translates to food, and I hate that link. Right now, my wife and I are having some troubles - she's gained back most, if not all, of the weight she lost about a year or 18 months ago (like 70 pounds), and she struggles with all the related issues that occur. She fell off the training wagon, and we still ate together - when I was training for my olys and marathon and averaging 12+ hours per week of training. She feels crappy, so she eats, and she feels crappy because she eats, so she doesn't work out, which makes her feel crappy, which causes her to eat . . .

Now she's considering bariatric surgery, which is a huge lifestyle change, but probably the only real, long-term solution for her. It breeds other issues though - for the first few year or two after the surgery, she'll only be able to eat an egg-size portion of food at a time, and won't be able to drink and eat at the same time.

That impacts our relationship - I love to cook, and I love food, and one of the ways I express my love for her is through cooking and dinner - and now it looks like I'm going to lose that venue. Great meals, like a Brazilian steakhouse or the Italian place we went the first time I told her I loved her - those would be a thing of the past. All-inclusive trip to Mexico - what's the point if you can't eat?

Then I have to stop myself - in all these things, my mind equates gluttony to pleasure and value. That's f*$%*# up. Going to Mexico for a vacation, and all I can think about is eating and drinking? Not about spending time with my wife, or snorkeling, or seeing Tenochtilan or Ixtapa?

Like today - lunch at Panera - Cobb Salad, no dressing (dressing is a distraction when there's avocado and bacon on the table) - a perfect meal: 600 calories, 49g(!) protein, 10g fiber, all kinds of good fats - and it's delicious. And in my mind, it's still a poor substitute for a burger and fries, full of cholesterol and white carbs. The salad is the "other," even though, given my choices for lunch today, it was probably the tastyiest thing available. It was good, good for me, and fits perfectly with my goals - and it's still labeled as a substitute, and thus inferior.

I used to joke that my body was a fast-moving food dumpster - and I am struggling with the realization that joke is the truth.

I know I'm the outlier - I've lost over 100 pounds, and kept it off for going on two years. Statistically, that puts me in a group with less than 3% of those that have lost the weight. Weight loss has a lower long-term positive outcome percentage than most cancer treatments.

The struggle - the battle - is that I have a problem with food. There is something wrong with me, and screwy in my head, and I don't treat it right. It is an addiction, a destructive force in my life.

Then, on top of all that, I ask my wife what I can do to help and support her - and I know she wants to help and support me, but when she suggests, politely and with love and tact, that I put the crappy pizza down, it made me angry and self-loathing and unhappy.

Between us, I don't know how hyperbolic the drug-addict metaphor actually is - whether we're bingeing on pizza, or passing a needle between our veins, what's the real difference? Both cause huge, drastic long-term health effects, and it's had a huge negative impact on our relationship. The difference is only one of degree, not fundamental nature, perhaps.

These are hard things to write.

As she marches toward bariatric surgery, I am forced to reconcile with the lifestyle changes that will follow, and that I will have to adapt to, and need to confront my own problems. Three preliminary tests and we've hit our deductible and out-of-pocket caps for the year ( f*&^k you Blue Cross / Blue Shield), and she's done a ton of research and read a lot of books on the matter - so for all practical purposes, the decision has been made.

All that's left is to face the consequences. My signature is from Plato - "the first and greatest victory is to conquer self."

Here's another:

I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
Round and round they sped.
I was disturbed at this;
I accosted the man.
“It is futile,” I said,
“You can never —”

“You lie,” he cried,
And ran on.

-Stephen Crane

Thanks for your honesty Charles.

I will be brief, as my response a few pages back outlined my wife's and my struggle. For us, it was an addiction, and we had to conquer that in our mind. First my wife. She has lost 130+lbs, while having been pregnant 2 times in over 4 years. She has been a rock. We used to split 1/2 gallons of ice cream together. We used to put away hole pizzas. It was "our" addiction.
I have just now gotten on board, but we now enjoy healthy eating/foods/living together. We've picked up activities like rock climbing together. We eat good salads together, and we like them. I used to hate salad. I cut my Carb intake in half, and try to eat more fruits/vegies/proteins. I drink water. I used to hate water. I had to change the my view of food as a tool to happiness, like an addict, to now viewing it as what I eat to bring my body nutrition. I still splurge, and enjoy a fatty, unhealthy meal, but I don't eat 20 of these meals a week like I used to, now I may have a few.
For what it's worth Charles, I hope you guys all the best in this endeavor. It really is a horrible thing to kick, and hope you guys gain control over food and have it no longer control you guys. Keep taking positive steps forward. Don't dwell on the past, or look at how you got there. Try not to be too hard on yourselves, but take steps to make changes, and celebrate those changes as you make them together.
My wife couldn't fix me. She focused on her own self and she changed me with her unwavering example and dedication to change herself. I was a mess. I had to fix me, and for me, it started by taking back control over food, and not allowing it to control me. I was 212 at heaviest, and am now down to 192 as of today. My new attitude is food no longer owns me, I own it.

Things that work for me:
Always try to have a plan before eating.
Plan day around healthy eating
Cut my portions in half. I was literally eating enough for 2-3 adults.
Stop eating after dinner. This was the hardest for me. I had to start by only eating fruit or veggies if I did need to eat after dinner, then wheened from that.
Have a sensible dinner
Cut back on Beverage consumption. I was drinking 3-6 bevis an evening. This made me want to eat.
If I slacked on any of the above, I didn't get down on myself, because I always had tomorrow to fix it.

Hope any of that is helpful. I wish you well in your journey.
2014-02-18 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
11/28 was good 1hr trainer ride today. Thanks BDAAS for the accountability.
2014-02-19 9:52 AM

User image

New user
Wow - you are very brave in your posts, your honesty is fearless. Making good choices is hard, it is exponentially harder when your partner is your partner in crime. If you have someone who caves when you do or if you are too tired to cook and someone agrees with you when you say ‘lets just order pizza’ it is killer. We have a very busy family and nothing is worse than coming home after work without a clue of what you are making for supper. We swing both ways though, between fast food binging and gourmet cooking. My hubby and I love to cook together and we love to eat really good food. I tell people that the food network is our porn channel and I am not really joking. It increased when our kids were little, with no babysitter we would plan elaborate menus and cook all night. After a year of living together we gained a combined 80lbs, 7 years later I am still 20lbs heavier and my hubby is 80lbs heavier. His doctor has told him flat out he needs to lose 100lbs.

My weight fluctuates with my training, I tend to eat better when I train because I am in planning mode, planned meals = better meals, always. I was down to 13% body fat just a year ago when I was seriously bodybuilding. The thing that has been weighing on me (no pun intended) is that when I get lazy the whole family suffers. So I came up with something to tackle that.

Drum roll please – the Health Family Challenge.

This week we launched a ‘game’ at home with the kids (3 boys, 13, 11, 6). They helped us come up with the rules. The basics are that we are following the Canada Food Guide recommendations for servings and activity. The kids get weekly coupons, like get out of a chore, control the Xbox for 3 hours, pick what we have for supper, if they hit their fruit & veggie target. They get bonus points for activity (1/2 hour = 1 bonus point) and they can get extra for going screen-free for a day (no ipod, xbox, computer, tv). They can redeem bonus point for bigger coupons, and there is a monthly contest for hitting your target and racking up bonus points. If anyone is really interested I can mail you the charts and rules that we came up with. It may change as we go but I think we have the gist nailed down.

My hubby and I have a side contest, where we set a personal goal for the week – this week I said I would lose 2 lbs, he said 5lbs, we also have the added challenge of keeping up our entries in the Fitness Pal on our phones. At stake this week is a very nice bottle of wine, we have some grown-up coupons of our own to keep it interesting…. I hate to say it but we have given up beer until the end of March, it was hubby’s choice and I am doing it in solidarity.

I will keep you posted on how the challenge goes. I know it is going to take effort on my part to keep the boys motivated and the fridge stocked with enough veggies!!!

2014-02-19 10:09 AM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Since I'm not running or biking it has given me time to swim. I got in 7k last week and did 2650 on Monday. Coach will probably punish us tonight with another 2200+ then I'll try to get as close to 3k on Friday as I can. I am tossing around the idea of joining a masters group on top of the tri group swims. This way I could do 5 days a week with instruction. Is it bad to have 2 different swim groups?
2014-02-19 10:10 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I posted this in the regular forums a few days ago and didn't get a reply so I'll copy it and post it here in hopes of getting an answer:

I got my bootay measured on the specialized impression thing at the LBS and it came back my sit bones fit 143mm saddles. Now here is the question: Why are all the tri specific saddles I see only in the low 130s? I used an Adamo road on my roadie and it was perfect in the front and I had zero numbness but it was too narrow and hurt like crazy after a while. I like the idea of the big cutout since it makes sense to me. I see Cobb is in the 130s also. I am getting ready to purchase a tri bike and wondered if since you are down in an aero position does this change the need for a wider seat since the hips are rotated more? Is it because you are sitting different and more on the nose?
2014-02-19 11:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Rather than focus on trying not to eat certain bad foods or binge on pizza and what not, my wife and I limit ourselves with our budget. Every second Thursday on payday we withdraw $200 in cash. From that, $120 goes into a cup above the stove which we use to buy groceries for the next two weeks. Then we each take $40 to use for beer, snacks or whatever we want.

Doing it this way forces us to make clever choices about food. Pizza burns up $20-30 if we order delivery so we can't really afford to spend that much on just one meal. Snacks (like Ice-cream, potato chips etc) are too expensive to afford on $60/week. If we want to treat ourselves we'll go buy a small bag of jujubes or wine gums from the bulk bins (usually about $1-1.50 worth). We'll have a yogurt cup after dinner for dessert to get our sweet fix in the evening.

We try to focus on making our food last. We buy fresh veggies and make a point to use them up so none get wasted. We rarely freeze our meat. We have two grocery stores within walking distance so we typically buy meat every few days for the next few days' meals. This helps to make sure no food goes bad or gets forgotten about in the back of the freezer.

Every once in awhile, I'll buy a pepsi and caramilk bar while I'm at school but that comes out of my $40 budget. Lately I've been abstaining from these things and dedicating half of my personal spending budget to my bike savings.

My wife is an engineer and I'm a grad student so we live on one income (sort of, I do get a small pay check from the school for being a TA). We're both from poor working class families so we know how to live thrifty and we're awesome at saving. Even though we have more financial security we still live like we did when we were both in school, had no money and had to dig through couches to find $2.50 to buy and split a tall-can of beer.

So it's not a question of overcoming cravings or anything, we pretend like we're living on an income much less than what we actually have. If we blow through our $200 we won't buy anymore food. We'll literally live on crackers or whatever we can scrounge in the house until the next payday if we burn through our budget (which rarely happens because we've become pretty good at wise spending). Our friends laugh at us for being so cheap but we were able to buy and renovate a house and go on a 6 week backpacking trip in the same year because of our thriftiness.

Edited by adempsey10 2014-02-19 11:04 AM
2014-02-19 12:54 PM

User image

Expert

Any suggestions?

Mark - I was swimming today and thought about half way through my workout - God! Mark's right! This is boring! So I spent the rest of my swim brainstorming ways to make it less mind numbing.

1) I'm not good at math but if I think how much of my workout I've done in fractions and then convert it to a percent - that keeps my mind off being bored.

2) Nascar - With every length I do - I think of the driver for that car. So, on length 20 - I think Kenseth on length 48 I think Johnson. It helps me remember the cars. Sometimes I even use it to do speed work. For example, I chose a racing organization - Let's say Joe Gibbs. He has cars 11, 18, and 20. Whenever I am swimming a length that is a multiple of that, I will try to go extra fast. I think you could do this with any sport.

Just a thought...
2014-02-19 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

I don't know if you remember, but I had a weird knee pain after my 1/2 IM distance in 2012. I trained for that race on the course at 17 mph. When I did the event, I rode over 19 mph. I think a lot of that gain came from pulling up on the backside of my pedal stroke, especially uphills. Imediately after the race, I had a weird pain in the back of my knee that lasted for a few months. I'm pretty sure it came from the pulling up on the backside of the bike pedal stroke, though I can't say for sure. If I were you, I'd take it easy, like with any new pain, could just be a one-two time thing. It could also be a little more serious and require dialing back on your intensities or volumes, or it could be the start of something chronic. Evaluate it closely.

I continue to be impressed with how well you push on through adversity. You get the A+ for that, but I doubt you want to add any more adversity than what your already dealing with.

Thanks man! I live with a lot of regret about the past for things I quit when things got tough. I know that if I quit on this IM dream - it's going to haunt me. Plus, I'm hoping that I will get that huge rush of satisfaction I did when I completed a HIM. It's funny - but the name Ironman came from the race - but I'm starting to believe that what really makes an "ironman" is a willingness to push yourself during your training. It's still fun but it's a lot of work.

Here's the good news - my knee didn't hurt today!

Edited by Qua17 2014-02-19 1:00 PM

2014-02-19 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

I posted this in the regular forums a few days ago and didn't get a reply so I'll copy it and post it here in hopes of getting an answer:

I got my bootay measured on the specialized impression thing at the LBS and it came back my sit bones fit 143mm saddles. Now here is the question: Why are all the tri specific saddles I see only in the low 130s? I used an Adamo road on my roadie and it was perfect in the front and I had zero numbness but it was too narrow and hurt like crazy after a while. I like the idea of the big cutout since it makes sense to me. I see Cobb is in the 130s also. I am getting ready to purchase a tri bike and wondered if since you are down in an aero position does this change the need for a wider seat since the hips are rotated more? Is it because you are sitting different and more on the nose?

I got my butt measured in December and found out that my sit bones are actually bigger than most saddles made these days. Luckily - the guy who did my bike fitting also has an amazingly wide a$$ and had bought 3 Specialize Romin Evo Comp Gel Saddles- which are 168 mm when they stopped making them. My butt has never felt so good on a bike. I went online and Specialized still still sells a 155mm - but they can be hard to find. Good luck in buying a new saddle.

The saddle came with an interesting story, which I can't verify - but it sounds legit. The guy who did the bike fitting who sold it to me used to work for specialized. One day he noticed that the window that looking into their wind tunnel was covered with multiple layers of newspaper. It turns out - they were having the guy who did the test ride naked and they checked to see which saddle allowed the best flow of blood. According to the guy - this saddle allows more blood flow then any other. I asked the guy about Adamos - but I thought those were the best and he said that was one of the saddles the guy tested out and according to specialized - the Romin were better than the Adamos.

As for not needing a wider seat on a tri bike - I have no idea. I would defer to charles or one of the other bike guys.

Edited by Qua17 2014-02-19 1:19 PM
2014-02-19 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Today - I did my long swim and manged to finish 1500 despite the fact that I was incredibly tired by the end. If this fatigue when swimming keeps up - I might need to stay out of the pool until my shoulders and lats don't feel so tired. I also got in 20 minutes of PT.

The wife and I are headed out to PF Changs on a date tonight - NO KIDS! Can I get an amen! So, I wanted to burn as many calories as could so I could enjoy myself to the fullest (but not too full). Hope everyone is having a good humpday!
2014-02-19 1:31 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Any suggestions?

Mark - I was swimming today and thought about half way through my workout - God! Mark's right! This is boring! So I spent the rest of my swim brainstorming ways to make it less mind numbing. 1) I'm not good at math but if I think how much of my workout I've done in fractions and then convert it to a percent - that keeps my mind off being bored. 2) Nascar - With every length I do - I think of the driver for that car. So, on length 20 - I think Kenseth on length 48 I think Johnson. It helps me remember the cars. Sometimes I even use it to do speed work. For example, I chose a racing organization - Let's say Joe Gibbs. He has cars 11, 18, and 20. Whenever I am swimming a length that is a multiple of that, I will try to go extra fast. I think you could do this with any sport. Just a thought...

Showed up at work bright and early (hoping to leave a few minutes early) only to find the power was out at the office. Not to waste my morning I went for the swim I had planned for lunchtime however I forgot to grab my workout drill sheet from my locker before I left my office. Instead I devised a simple workout plan to break up a 1500m swim into a couple different phases with a little bit of drills but not as crazy as the Swim Speed Secrets plan I'm following. It seemed to work fairly well, part of my trick is to just stay focused on my stroke and not letting it break down as I loose mental focus.

2014-02-19 1:42 PM

User image

Today - I did my long swim and manged to finish 1500 despite the fact that I was incredibly tired by the end. If this fatigue when swimming keeps up - I might need to stay out of the pool until my shoulders and lats don't feel so tired. I also got in 20 minutes of PT.

The wife and I are headed out to PF Changs on a date tonight - NO KIDS! Can I get an amen! So, I wanted to burn as many calories as could so I could enjoy myself to the fullest (but not too full). Hope everyone is having a good humpday!

Enjoy date night.

Was on the way to the pool but schedule changed so only going to get my bike in today. I swam yesterday so its not that big a deal. going to try aqua jogging this weekend. I've learned a lot just reading though all of y'alls post. Sorry I don't contribute more but I don't know enough to add intelligent comments.

My rx told me today that running the marathon is out but that I can walk it if I want to (in my brace) since its mostly a gravel trail not pavement.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.