BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-12-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2552559

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!!
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 11:34 AM
dalessit - 2009-12-07 11:06 AM
kickitinok - 2009-12-08 11:00 AM Hi - I don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but I came here in hopes of finding a mentor as I was told that December was the month to do so on this site. Is this group still open? I've notice most are "Closed" or "Full". I'm training for my first tri in June 2010 and could use a lot of help, support, info, and encouragement. kicitinok

Welcome to BT.

Not sure when they are going to open up the new Mentor program, They are probably getting the new mentors set up now.  We are still active from the last one and this thread will go by-by into the archives and a new one created.

That being said the group is always open so come on in and just move over to the new thread with us when it gets started, make sure you post your info so we all know what kind of experience you have, goals, races, etc.
Thanks for your reply SWBKRUN. This site has a LOT of info and links so I am just trying to navigate my way around and get oriented. When you say to be sure and post my info, where do I do this? On my profile? In my signature line? I"m starting a training log...will that suffice? When is this group moving to a new thread, and what will it be called? As you see, I have lots of questions

We are a pretty tough crowd over here at SWBKRUN, but looks like you meet all the qualifications to participate...We do require a name though

Basically we just want to know a little about you and your background...you can look at the first couple of pages on this thread and see where everyone has posted some of their personal information.  The new mentor grouping should begin soon, and we will move this thread over to the new one, but feel free to jump in and participate...glad to have you.

The training log will be helpful for others to help you in the event you have questions.  It is also good to keep you accountable.  You don't want someone going to your log to "inspire" you and find there is nothing there to inspire.  Kind of keeps you on the ball.

2009-12-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2552647

User image

Champion
marietta
Plainsman AU - 2009-12-10 12:03 PM You don't want someone going to your log to "inspire" you and find there is nothing there to inspire.

BS.   thats when the inspiring gets fun. 

see what i mean.  ;-)

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-10 12:10 PM
2009-12-10 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2552559

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 12:34 PM
dalessit - 2009-12-07 11:06 AM
kickitinok - 2009-12-08 11:00 AM Hi - I don't know if I'm posting in the right place or not, but I came here in hopes of finding a mentor as I was told that December was the month to do so on this site. Is this group still open? I've notice most are "Closed" or "Full". I'm training for my first tri in June 2010 and could use a lot of help, support, info, and encouragement. kicitinok

Welcome to BT.

Not sure when they are going to open up the new Mentor program, They are probably getting the new mentors set up now.  We are still active from the last one and this thread will go by-by into the archives and a new one created.

That being said the group is always open so come on in and just move over to the new thread with us when it gets started, make sure you post your info so we all know what kind of experience you have, goals, races, etc.
Thanks for your reply SWBKRUN. This site has a LOT of info and links so I am just trying to navigate my way around and get oriented. When you say to be sure and post my info, where do I do this? On my profile? In my signature line? I"m starting a training log...will that suffice? When is this group moving to a new thread, and what will it be called? As you see, I have lots of questions

Welcome.   Please don't be intimidated by anyone or any conversations you see on this thread.  Everyone is eager to share and learn and no question is too silly to ask nor any lesson too trivial to share.  Any lesson learned is great and worth sharing, regardless if you've been doing this for 10 years or if this is your first season.  We are a very sarcastic but supportive group and welcome all levels of involvement.  Looking forward to getting to know you.
2009-12-10 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Speaking of needing support,  I need everyone to tell me how great my hips and a** are going to look and feel after all my therapy is done.  I am such a wreck right now it is getting depressing.  Everytime I think we have it figured out something else hurts.  Even doing my basic therapy exercises hurt and I go to bed every night feeling like someone jabbed a red hot poker into my right glute.  This isn't funny any more and I am very discouraged.    I think my hips joints are so loose and the supporting muscles are so weak that everything is moving around.  I should change my user name to Elastigirl - now that Suzy gets the joke. (How was the movie BTW?)  

If this were happening to anyone else I would laugh.... I have a shark tatoo on my right butt cheek/hip and it happens to be right over the spot where my glute muscle hurts.  Therefore I have been doing lots of massaging and rubbing in that area and I've actually bruised my shark!   The original tatoo is blue so now I have a black and blue shark tatoo on my a**. Cry
2009-12-10 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Also, thanks for the inspire, Fat, and Tahrens don't worry - I'm not easily intimidated. I mean...I'm training for a triathlon at 44 y/o and 50lbs overweight, right? :)

Name: Trina

Status: Married with one grown child, two schnauzers, and one cat.

Current Training: Training for first sprint in Spring/Summer 2010. Still looking for the right first race. Started cycling in Spring 2009 and consider that my base.

2009 Races: Never raced.

2010 Goals: Participate in my first sprint triathlon. I'll see where I stand when it's race time. If I feel that I'm not ready I'll not race, and continue to train until I am ready. I am determined, but don't want to injure myself.

Other goals include hiring a swim coach to help with form and endurance. I also need to work up to the 5K run, so I'm doing walk/run intervals. I'm overweight, so I need to drop some weight before I get serious about running.

Weightloss: Definitely an issue with me. I need to drop 50lbs to be at my target weight. I need to get info on recommended diet, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Add'l info about me: I am self-employed, business is established so I'm cruising, have an empty nest, very goal oriented, ex-athlete (softball and volleyball), and desire better health so training for a tri seemed like a logical solution.

Edited by kickitinok 2009-12-10 12:58 PM
2009-12-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2552750

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-12-10 12:42 PM Speaking of needing support,  I need everyone to tell me how great my hips and a** are going to look and feel after all my therapy is done.  I am such a wreck right now it is getting depressing.  Everytime I think we have it figured out something else hurts.  Even doing my basic therapy exercises hurt and I go to bed every night feeling like someone jabbed a red hot poker into my right glute.  This isn't funny any more and I am very discouraged.    I think my hips joints are so loose and the supporting muscles are so weak that everything is moving around.  I should change my user name to Elastigirl - now that Suzy gets the joke. (How was the movie BTW?)  

If this were happening to anyone else I would laugh.... I have a shark tatoo on my right butt cheek/hip and it happens to be right over the spot where my glute muscle hurts.  Therefore I have been doing lots of massaging and rubbing in that area and I've actually bruised my shark!   The original tatoo is blue so now I have a black and blue shark tatoo on my a**. Cry

stop worrying about what your a$$ looks or is going to look like.  a little added baggage now means more motivation later.  what is the doc and/or pt saying about all this.  is this normal progress? 

post a pic of the shark.  and any chance we can get some from the cheer leading days? 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-12-10 1:08 PM

2009-12-10 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2552776

User image

Champion
marietta
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 12:52 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Also, thanks for the inspire, Fat, and Tahrens don't worry - I'm not easily intimidated. I mean...I'm training for a triathlon at 44 y/o and 50lbs overweight, right?

Current Training: Training for first sprint in Spring/Summer 2010. Still looking for the right first race. Started cycling in Spring 2009 and consider that my base.

2010 Goals: Participate in my first sprint triathlon. I'll see where I stand when it's race time. If I feel that I'm not ready I'll not race, and continue to train until I am ready. I am determined, but don't want to injure myself.

Other goals include hiring a swim coach to help with form and endurance. I also need to work up to the 5K run, so I'm doing walk/run intervals. I'm overweight, so I need to drop some weight before I get serious about running.

Weightloss: Definitely an issue with me. I need to drop 50lbs to be at my target weight. I need to get info on recommended diet, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Add'l info about me: I am self-employed, business is established so I'm cruising, have an empty nest, very goal oriented, ex-athlete (softball and volleyball), and desire better health so training for a tri seemed like a logical solution.

alright!  looks great

there are a couple of people here trying to solve the weight issue, myself included.  i'm down almost 50 pounds in a year.  considering the beer intake i'd probably be down a lot more but it is what it is.  i'd like to take another 20 -30.  if i can do it you can, no doubt.

about your comments on body v earth.  YOU WILL BE READY!

2009-12-10 1:41 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-12-10 11:42 AM Speaking of needing support,  I need everyone to tell me how great my hips and a** are going to look and feel after all my therapy is done.  I am such a wreck right now it is getting depressing.  Everytime I think we have it figured out something else hurts.  Even doing my basic therapy exercises hurt and I go to bed every night feeling like someone jabbed a red hot poker into my right glute.  This isn't funny any more and I am very discouraged.    I think my hips joints are so loose and the supporting muscles are so weak that everything is moving around.  I should change my user name to Elastigirl - now that Suzy gets the joke. (How was the movie BTW?)  

I'm going to just go ahead and move onto the next post. Too much to choose from.
 No comment. Frown
2009-12-10 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2552881

User image

Expert
B'ham
TrevorC - 2009-12-10 11:41 AM
tahrens - 2009-12-10 11:42 AM Speaking of needing support,  I need everyone to tell me how great my hips and a** are going to look and feel after all my therapy is done.  I am such a wreck right now it is getting depressing.  Everytime I think we have it figured out something else hurts.  Even doing my basic therapy exercises hurt and I go to bed every night feeling like someone jabbed a red hot poker into my right glute.  This isn't funny any more and I am very discouraged.    I think my hips joints are so loose and the supporting muscles are so weak that everything is moving around.  I should change my user name to Elastigirl - now that Suzy gets the joke. (How was the movie BTW?)  

I'm going to just go ahead and move onto the next post. Too much to choose from.
 No comment. Frown

Wow, it really is the offseason.  HTFU and make me laugh
2009-12-10 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2552856

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2009-12-10 12:30 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Also, thanks for the inspire, Fat, and Tahrens don't worry - I'm not easily intimidated. I mean...I'm training for a triathlon at 44 y/o and 50lbs overweight, right?

alright!  looks great

there are a couple of people here trying to solve the weight issue, myself included.  i'm down almost 50 pounds in a year.  considering the beer intake i'd probably be down a lot more but it is what it is.  i'd like to take another 20 -30.  if i can do it you can, no doubt.

about your comments on body v earth.  YOU WILL BE READY!

Hey Trina. I'm one of those former fat boys too. We have a lot of fun in the group, and rib each other non-stop. But alot of information here within the group. You will find that when you get into a training 'program' then weight will drop off. Watch your diet...biggest words of advice from me. Lost about 50lbs over 1 1/2 years. Put 10 or so back on in the last few months of off-season. Us Canadians need it for the cold weather though! A good welcome to the group would be signing up for Lonestar in Galveston in  April. John(fattyfat) could help you finish. He'll be the guy at the BBQ with the beer in hand, no shirt on and a HRM attached to his tiny belly.

There are some free training programs on here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp?h=1
2009-12-10 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2552904

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
cadmus - 2009-12-10 12:47 PM
TrevorC - 2009-12-10 11:41 AM

No comment. Frown

Wow, it really is the offseason.  HTFU and make me laugh

How about I highlight where comment could be made??? Fair??

2009-12-10 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2552909

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2009-12-10 1:50 PM
Hey Trina. I'm one of those former fat boys too. We have a lot of fun in the group, and rib each other non-stop. But alot of information here within the group. You will find that when you get into a training 'program' then weight will drop off. Watch your diet...biggest words of advice from me. Lost about 50lbs over 1 1/2 years. Put 10 or so back on in the last few months of off-season. Us Canadians need it for the cold weather though! A good welcome to the group would be signing up for Lonestar in Galveston in  April. John(fattyfat) could help you finish. He'll be the guy at the BBQ with the beer in hand, no shirt on and a HRM attached to his tiny belly.

finished, crushing beer next to the grill i fired up before any of you finish.  that's about right.
2009-12-10 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

this is worhtless w/o pics...    

tahrens - 2009-12-10 12:42 PM Speaking of needing support,  I need everyone to tell me how great my hips and a** are going to look and feel after all my therapy is done.  I am such a wreck right now it is getting depressing.  Everytime I think we have it figured out something else hurts.  Even doing my basic therapy exercises hurt and I go to bed every night feeling like someone jabbed a red hot poker into my right glute.  This isn't funny any more and I am very discouraged.    I think my hips joints are so loose and the supporting muscles are so weak that everything is moving around.  I should change my user name to Elastigirl - now that Suzy gets the joke. (How was the movie BTW?)  

2009-12-10 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hey from your fellow rehabber.....do you really want your hips/ to look good or operate normally?  Frankly, I would give my right pinky finger to make my right foot 100%.  There are times when it feels good and I am like "ok, we are back in business" and there are times when I say "sh$* it hurts again so no running for 8 MORE days and it's been a month".  I don't sleep, I eat too much and worry like a maniac.  Totally pointless. completely depressing. Can't help it.

I had Kim buy a book before her marathon that might also help you.  It is called Running Within. It is mainly on mental training, but also has a whole section on coping with injury.  I read it often.  It says that the needless worry actually causes more inflammation and slows healing.  Not easy and I fall off the wagon frequently, great more inflammaton.  Very frustrating. Hang in there...6 months from now this will be a distant memory.  Feel free to call me or email me to commiserate off line......seriously.
2009-12-10 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I don't mean the vanity of a nice butt, rather the fact that I am limping b/c my hip flexor is so tight I can't stand up straight and I am covered in bruises.  And don't pick on me, it's not like I have a pimple in my nose.....this seriously hurts and is very frustrating b/c it isn't getting better, just moving around. To answer your question John my p.t. is stumped b/c we can't seem to find the source of the problem.  I am presenting like it is a leg length discrepancy but that isn't the case. If I had an injured SI joint it would hurt to stand but for me it hurts to sit.  My pelvis bones are aligned in the front and off in the back one week, then the reverse the next.  And to compound the issue my Doug is seeing the same pt and doing several of the same exercises and they are all working for him with no pain. He came back from hockey last night saying how much stronger he feels and that his hips feel so much better, where I can't even do one of my exercises without it hurting.  I am frustrated that we can't seem to find the source and I don't seem to be making progress.  I AM FEELING SORRY FOR MYSELF AND WANT SOME SYMPATHY DAMNIT!!!!!  EmbarassedCryFrown   And thank you Suzy for your support.  I feel your pain girl.

Edited by tahrens 2009-12-10 3:06 PM
2009-12-10 3:39 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
man i'm really sorry you're hurting.  and you know you're getting a ton of sympathy from us.  i know its hard because he's right there but try to relax w/ the comparison to doug.  two totally different people that work completely different.  the positive strides he's making are great.  try your best to keep that separate from what's up with you.   what about your doctor?  maybe its time for another opinion.

2009-12-10 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2553058

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-12-10 3:05 PM

I don't mean the vanity of a nice butt, rather the fact that I am limping b/c my hip flexor is so tight I can't stand up straight and I am covered in bruises.  And don't pick on me, it's not like I have a pimple in my nose.....this seriously hurts and is very frustrating b/c it isn't getting better, just moving around. To answer your question John my p.t. is stumped b/c we can't seem to find the source of the problem.  I am presenting like it is a leg length discrepancy but that isn't the case. If I had an injured SI joint it would hurt to stand but for me it hurts to sit.  My pelvis bones are aligned in the front and off in the back one week, then the reverse the next.  And to compound the issue my Doug is seeing the same pt and doing several of the same exercises and they are all working for him with no pain. He came back from hockey last night saying how much stronger he feels and that his hips feel so much better, where I can't even do one of my exercises without it hurting.  I am frustrated that we can't seem to find the source and I don't seem to be making progress.  I AM FEELING SORRY FOR MYSELF AND WANT SOME SYMPATHY DAMNIT!!!!!  EmbarassedCryFrown   And thank you Suzy for your support.  I feel your pain girl.

I have one piece of advice....KEEP LOOKING!  If one PT is not helping you, look to get a second opinion or a third opinion.  When I was injured last year, I went through several medical professionals until I found one that could help me. I love my original PT, but he could not figure out my issue after weeks of woring together,  I asked to be sent me to runners clinic and the runners clinc thankfully sent me to a professor of PT.  It took a very long time and was extremely frustrating.  I felt like I was being handed off way to often with no continuity.  It was 100% up to me to be aggresive to find the answers....you are a tough cookie.  DONT GIVE UP!

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-12-10 4:04 PM
2009-12-10 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
tahrens - 2009-12-10 10:42 AM Speaking of needing support,  I need everyone to tell me how great my hips and a** are going to look and feel after all my therapy is done.  I am such a wreck right now it is getting depressing.  Everytime I think we have it figured out something else hurts.  Even doing my basic therapy exercises hurt and I go to bed every night feeling like someone jabbed a red hot poker into my right glute.  This isn't funny any more and I am very discouraged.    I think my hips joints are so loose and the supporting muscles are so weak that everything is moving around.  I should change my user name to Elastigirl - now that Suzy gets the joke. (How was the movie BTW?)  

I'm so sorry, Tracy. You WILL have great hips and a** again! I've been through a few injuries too, and when you're in the midst of it, it seems as though it will never get better. I've found that although having a great PT, chiro, massage therapist, etc. is essential, it also just takes time for the body to heal. I know this isn't any consolation, but try to hang in there. Also, if the person or people who are helping you with this don't seem to know how to help you, maybe it is time to see someone else.
2009-12-10 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2553058

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-12-10 2:05 PM

Ya seriously I agree. I would go find someone else to give it a shot. A 2nd opinion always helps. Can't compare to Doug. Everyone recovers/heals different.
2009-12-10 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
kickitinok - 2009-12-10 10:52 AM

Hi Trina! Nice to meet you! You will definitely be ready for a tri by Summer! Have you looked at some of the training plans on this site? When I first found this site about 3 years ago, I had only biked recreationally on occasion, had never swam laps, and never ran a mile. I followed the basic "Couch to Sprint" training plan and finished my first sprint tri. After that I was hooked!

I also lost 55lbs, most of it before triathlons, by being more active, eating more mindfully, and counting calories.  I'm still down about 40lbs, but as you can see from the numbers it is important to continue to be mindful of your eating while training. The activity of training will help you burn more calories, but if you aren't careful it is easy to make up for all of those calories burned through what you're eating. I've done it quite successfully by gaining 15lbs over the last 1.5 years while training for marathons and triathlons.  Right now I'm busy getting my diet back under control with a goal of losing 20lbs. So feel free to send me a message, and we can trade tips, recipes, etc. There is a forum here on BT called "triing for weight loss" that has some support groups and other advice as well. I've also heard great things about Weight Watchers. If you don't want to "count calories" they have a system that makes it a bit easier. I think Doug (DougRob) is doing WW, hopefully he'll chime in on this too.
2009-12-10 4:33 PM

User image

Champion

Hi Trina

I like you already!  I grew up with a schnauzer and had a schnauzer that had to be put down at the age of 15 a few years ago. Would love to see a pic of yours sometime.

Congratulations on your move into triathlon.  I have not been doing them long either.  Started running in my very late 30s and then did a few sprints two years ago and built my self up to a HIM last year.  My  biggest obstacle was swimming and I am slowly overcoming that one stroke at a time!

Prepare yourself for a lot of good advice from the MG (mentor group) and some well meaning ribbing from time to time as well.  If you have an opinion share it, don't hold it back, but expect someone to weigh in on it thinking they more (Probably me or is it John?).

Enjoy the journey.  Soon it will be an all encompassing habit.

Suzy

2009-12-10 5:14 PM
in reply to: #2552909

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
fattyfatfat, trevor, et al:

I guess walking around the house spraying Cool Whip out of the can directly into my mouth is out of the question from now on??

I lost a lot of weight on the Body for Life plan but that was about 8 years ago. I know the eating drill, just not ready for it emotionally. I loves my food.

2009-12-10 5:23 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City

Oh and Roni - I will definitely hit you up for some recipes as well as visit the "triing for weight loss forum." I'm not doing training specifically for weight loss - I am also a very competitive person....and I just don't do well without a goal to reach. Been that way my entire life.

SSMinnow - I love schnauzers. I've had (hate to use the word owned) them for the past 20+ years. Wouldn't ever consider switching to a different breed. They are so smart, energetic (mine love long walks mixed with sprints, swimming, etc.) and lovable. And they don't shed...that's a HUGE bonus. I'll post a pic to my profile in the next few days.

So for my first question: Any ideas on which race to enter first? Should I do a local one? Or is there a sprint renowned for being a good first tri?

2009-12-10 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2553264

User image

kickitinok - 2009-12-10 6:23 PM

So for my first question: Any ideas on which race to enter first? Should I do a local one? Or is there a sprint renowned for being a good first tri?

Hi Trina, Welcome to BT & the group.  For a first tri I would suggest something close to home.  Traveling to a race adds so much additional stress (for me).  I like local races and I like to support my community when I can.  Look around your area and go to your state forum on BT and post that question.  Sure some of the folks there could rec something close to you.   

Don't know which s/b/r is your strength, but some suggest to non-swimmers that they should look for a pool swim for a first.   Something about an ows concerns new folks     

Good luck
2009-12-10 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

wow Tracy. Sounds like you are really having a tough off season. I thought I was rough with just the glut muscle still hurting and a few odds and ends of flu, cold and whatever. I have nothing to highlight

I did get in to see my doctor yesterday and she is "going fishing" as she put it. With the number of tests she has them doing I may need a transfusion.

My swimming with the tri club is going good. I am getting some more good techniques down. This week we worked legs again. Mine must still bein  pretty good shape cause no aches or pains.  One of the exercises was vertical kicking. Arms crossed in front of you and then just kick to stay afloat. No problem with that. about 15 seconds.  Then move your arms out to the sides with your elbows bent keeping your lower arms and hands out of the water and kick only 10 seconds here. OK there too. The last part was to then put your hands up over your head as if you were on the edge and going to dive in. Here you need to kick like h2!! to keep your head above water for 10 seconds. I quickly learned to take a breath before the last 10 seconds

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383