BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-03 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2125991

User image

Expert
B'ham
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

Tracy! Tracy! Tracy! Such an awesome, gutsy perfomrance.  You have absolutely nothing to be embarassed of and so very many things to be proud of.  Way to go - very inspirational.

My sister and I finished Bloomsday today, though not as fast as she would have liked.  She's worked hard and lost a bunch of weight, so she was a little disappointed in the results.  She did say she's going to be faster and lighter next year - so at least she is still motivated to continue.

2009-05-03 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2126907

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
cadmus - 2009-05-03 6:45 PM

Tracy! Tracy! Tracy! Such an awesome, gutsy perfomrance.  You have absolutely nothing to be embarassed of and so very many things to be proud of.  Way to go - very inspirational.

My sister and I finished Bloomsday today, though not as fast as she would have liked.  She's worked hard and lost a bunch of weight, so she was a little disappointed in the results.  She did say she's going to be faster and lighter next year - so at least she is still motivated to continue.

That is very cool of you.  I'll bet she looks to you for a lot of guidance and inpiration and that is wonderful that you were able to share this experience with her.
2009-05-03 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Tracy - great job on your 70.3!!! They are no joke and you should be proud.

Question for the group.  I had a great day on the bike on a really tough course and am feeling like I could still make RnR San Diego.  The doctor mentioned a Cortizone shot depending on the results of the MRI tomorrow.  What are your thoughts and what have you heard about these shots?  I haven't tested the leg in a while but it doesn't hurt at all on the bike.  I figure if I could get a 20 miler in the next week and a full week of mileage before the taper, maybe?  Suzy? 

After the marathon, it is all about the bike.  Could rest and heal the leg then.  Chet

Edited by cbarnes1 2009-05-03 7:16 PM
2009-05-03 7:49 PM

User image

Matt, that is so cool you ran with your sister.  Sorry she didn't see the result she was hoping for, but glad she is planning to continue.  Very cool of you to inspire and support her! 
Tracy, that video was so cool.  You looked so relaxed in transition...such a pro.

Chet, I had a back problems last fall - couldn't move without severe pain (worse than my 3 labors), couldn't sleep, couldn't go up stairs, it was really bad.  I did everything, rest, anti-inflammatories, MRI to help figure things out, PT for 8 weeks.  Nothing worked.  Then was evaluated for surgery.  However, the doc wanted to try cortisone injections.  They had planned to do 3, each one 2 weeks apart.  Ten days after the first injection and I was a totally different person, no pain.  Worked miracles for me.  I have saved my remaining two for any flare-ups (they can only do 3 in a six month period).  I was skeptical, but now I have a total different perspective.  Hopefully that will work and you can still tackle San Diego (that's a great race).   Good luck!

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-05-03 7:49 PM
2009-05-03 8:54 PM

Ft Worth TX
Hey group I did MS 150 this weekend, did day 1, 88 miles last 10 in the rain. I felt pretty good.
Day two was cancelled due to weather and swine flu here in texas. Over all I was happy
with finishing and feeling good about the time approx 5 hours.

also I have been reading Suzy's info about the coach and I think I will try a running coach also.
thanks for the info.
2009-05-03 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2127342

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
bethpaultx - 2009-05-03 9:54 PM Hey group I did MS 150 this weekend, did day 1, 88 miles last 10 in the rain. I felt pretty good. Day two was cancelled due to weather and swine flu here in texas. Over all I was happy with finishing and feeling good about the time approx 5 hours. also I have been reading Suzy's info about the coach and I think I will try a running coach also. thanks for the info.

Wow, Beth.  88 miles in one day.  That is fantastic. Plus those last 10 miles in the rain must have been super tough.  I've heard great things about the MS 150.  Way to go.

2009-05-03 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2127107

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

cbarnes1 - 2009-05-03 7:16 PM Tracy - great job on your 70.3!!! They are no joke and you should be proud.

Question for the group.  I had a great day on the bike on a really tough course and am feeling like I could still make RnR San Diego.  The doctor mentioned a Cortizone shot depending on the results of the MRI tomorrow.  What are your thoughts and what have you heard about these shots?  I haven't tested the leg in a while but it doesn't hurt at all on the bike.  I figure if I could get a 20 miler in the next week and a full week of mileage before the taper, maybe?  Suzy? 

After the marathon, it is all about the bike.  Could rest and heal the leg then.  Chet

Chet--I had a cortisone shot for my foot.  It does take the pain away for maybe two days, but the minute you run on it, it will hurt again.  Cortisone does NOTHING to speed the healing process.  I will not get one again.  I ended up going with prolotherapy for my PF.  Three rounds spread over three months and it definitely helped.  Not sure if it would solve your problem.  Very few docs do it or are supportive of it due to lack of double blind studies.  I swear by it.

As far as the marathon goes, I know your ultimate goal was to BQ. Given your hiatus and continuing issue  I would not do it.  This is only my opinion, but I believe you will have lost fitness and the risk to your body isn't worth it. You are making some progress where healing is concerned, why not continue it? Regroup and do CIM in December after the tri season?  It has a high qualifying rate and gives you plenty of time to rest and get back at it for April.  I made a HUGE error by running too soon and lost months due to rehab.  Frankly, it sucked!  You are living through it now, don't make it a double.  Just my two cents.

Beth--should you consider using an online running coach, mine was excellent.   I PR'ed in every distance two consecutive years, took over 45 minutes off my marathon time and at least 20 minutes of my half marathon time.  I would not have BQ'ed three times without him.  I hated letting him go for my new tri coach and will consider going back to him in the fall if I decide to do Boston in '10.  PM me ifyou want his info.  He lives outside of Philly.

Barry--you are the second person to share this video link tonight.  I would love to look like this.  If you do, a big congrats!

Suzy

2009-05-03 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2127405

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2009-05-03 9:22 PM

Barry--you are the second person to share this video link tonight.  I would love to look like this.  If you do, a big congrats!

Suzy

I don't think I said I looked like that.  I might like to look like that, but that is the stroke that I am trying to pattern my technique after.  I think that 2 beat kick that this guy uses has helped my rhythm and rotation.  Is this the type of catch up stroke you Tony and I were discussing a couple weeks back?
2009-05-03 10:17 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Beth- Awesome job on the 88 miles!  Sorry it didn't work out to be the whole 150, but awesome nonetheless.  My riding buddy is in Florida this weekend for the MS150 there.  She has MS and is riding it with her father in law.  It is so inspiring.

Barry, Coach Shinji in the video was one of the teachers at my TI clinic in December.  He is amazingly floatatious...his body position is just so perfect it's incredible.  He did that Superman push off the wall and went more than halfway down the pool.  I think I went about 2 yards the first time I tried...and had it up to maybe the flags by the end of the clinic...which is NOT very far.  

It's really hard for me to get that 2 beat kick.  Do you have any suggestions?  I have tried really hard to keep my feet close together and kick with the hip rotation, but it is awkward for me. 

2009-05-03 11:08 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Had a fun day today at Bloomsday! Run felt good, kept a positive attitude, and enjoyed the energy of the crowd. No record setting pace, but not bad either. No official time yet, but 1:13:??. Fun, busy day...4 hours driving, 12k race, and a baby shower for my neice...  I'm beat now. Will catch up with the thread tomorrow. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
2009-05-04 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2127543

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Morning all, quick post before work.

Not too happy with the TT.  I dropped 1/2 my spacers off the bike because I believed that I knew better than my fitter.  Looked at my position and it better matched what I had seen on ST and pro's using.

I knew that you were supposed to get on the trainer and warm up so your legs were ready.  I should have payed more attention to that.  I did get on the trainer but in retrospect it wasn't enough work to get ready.

Got to the line and stomped on the gas (another mistake)  Legs felt like crap, didn't warm up enough, got out there about 4-5 miles in and I couldn't keep my head up, lower back hurt & lower torso area wasn't happy with the position either.

For some reason though my watts looked good but speed just didn't seem to be there.  Finished the first 1/2 in 26:59 (23.6mph), Finished the 2nd 1/2 in 29:55 (22.3mph) overall 56:54 (22.9mph).

I looked at results and I did finish 8/21 in Cat 5, which I am happy with but really only 1mph faster in a pure super flat TT vs the Tri where I sprinted through swam 300M and ran through transition and had to jump on bike and deal with no big ring for a mile or so and the tri had some hills.

My goal pace would have gotten me 3rd in CAT 5, first was over 27mph, in my dreams I could beat that but in reality I was hoping for 24-25mph.

Will do my full race report when I get to work.

2009-05-04 7:06 AM

User image

Great job Roni!  Sounds like you nailed it, and had fun to boot.  Perfect race in my book Smile
2009-05-04 7:08 AM

User image

Wow Tony, you are wicked fast.  I don't even dream of being that fast.
Sorry you are not too happy with the TT.  I'm sure you will get it next time.
2009-05-04 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2126903

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

tahrens - 2009-05-03 6:44 PM Hey guys, I'm on UTube!  Someone I know from BT was at the race and videotaped my T2!   Watch the dork run the wrong way!!!!!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdnuszQ1PBg[/QUOTE]

Dork or not you look great and full of energy. Not bad for a 1900 m swim and a 94K ride.

2009-05-04 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2127107

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

cbarnes1 - 2009-05-03 8:16 PM Tracy - great job on your 70.3!!! They are no joke and you should be proud.

I've had Cortizone shots in the past and they worked great. As long as you are not taking them consistently. If you do that you have a greater risk of hurting yourself as they can mask an underlying problem. A single shot is generally OK. Check with a professional (doc) to make sure it will be OK to run on.

I'm sure by now that most of you are able to decifer my typing

Edited by Redknight 2009-05-04 7:25 AM
2009-05-04 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

bethpaultx - 2009-05-03 9:54 PM Hey group I did MS 150 this weekend, did day 1, 88 miles last 10 in the rain. I felt pretty good. Day two was cancelled due to weather and swine flu here in texas. Over all I was happy with finishing and feeling good about the time approx 5 hours. also I have been reading Suzy's info about the coach and I think I will try a running coach also. thanks for the info.

Congratulations Beth. To bad about day 2 but the thought and support behind the event is great.

2009-05-04 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Tony: That is fast riding in anyone's books. Sounds like with a little more thought and warmup you could relly fly. During my ride yesterday I was about 45K in and Thought I was making good time until some guy flew past me. Made me feel like I was all but standing still. Got over that pretty quickly though asa he was soon out of sight

Only one more sleep until Cuba. Can't wait to get there and see my brothers and sisters. They all live out in Alberta. We're all going to the same resort for my nephews marriage. This is going to be fun I hope I get some training in too.

Congrats to everyone racing on the weekend. It looks like everyone did grrrrrrrrrrreat. Good luck to everyone racing on the up coming weekend. I am about a 5 weeks out from my first tri.

2009-05-04 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2127811

User image

Champion
LOL see this is why I can't be off BT for more than a few hours, even hard for me to catch up.

Awesome Job Tracy, that is a great accomplishment.

All the 5k times people are posting are smoking fast, lol I need to go out and run one to see if some of the speed in this group will wear off on me.

Ok, now back to my posting every 15 minutes and immediately responding to any questions...
2009-05-04 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2127792

User image

Expert
B'ham

Redknight - 2009-05-04 5:18 AM ... I'm sure by now that most of you are able to decifer my typing
And here this whole time I thought it was a translation from French-Canadian. . Have fun in Cuba!

2009-05-04 8:15 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
Tony:  Those times are good to go and 8/21 is great!  I might have missed this... did your wife race too? 

Roni:  Great job and I'm glad to see your comments on having fun.  Sometimes I forget that part. 12k is a cool distance too.

Beth:  88 miles...NICE! Houston to Austin MS was 1 day too this year.  The campground at the midpoint was about a foot underwater.

Rob:  I didn't realize you were heading to Cuba.  We are gonna need a race report for that!  I've sailed around it a few times but never stopped by to say hello.  I hope we open that place up again for travel.  From what I've seen and heard it's like you travel back in time when you go there..

John

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-05-04 8:15 AM
2009-05-04 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2127898

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-04 9:15 AM Tony:  Those times are good to go and 8/21 is great!  I might have missed this... did your wife race too? 

Roni:  Great job and I'm glad to see your comments on having fun.  Sometimes I forget that part. 12k is a cool distance too.

Beth:  88 miles...NICE! Houston to Austin MS was 1 day too this year.  The campground at the midpoint was about a foot underwater.

Rob:  I didn't realize you were heading to Cuba.  We are gonna need a race report for that!  I've sailed around it a few times but never stopped by to say hello.  I hope we open that place up again for travel.  From what I've seen and heard it's like you travel back in time when you go there..

John

No she didn't race this time, though she probably will next time.  And re-looked at results and I was 6th out of 12.  What I was looking at was the overall series results, so right out of 2 races I am 8th out of 21.  I guess they do a whole series of these and take the best times from all races.

2009-05-04 8:40 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
bethpaultx - 2009-05-03 7:54 PM Hey group I did MS 150 this weekend, did day 1, 88 miles last 10 in the rain. I felt pretty good. Day two was cancelled due to weather and swine flu here in texas. Over all I was happy with finishing and feeling good about the time approx 5 hours. also I have been reading Suzy's info about the coach and I think I will try a running coach also. thanks for the info.

Nice work...88 miles is one day is awesome. Darn swine flu is ruining alot of things right now.
2009-05-04 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2127487

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
kt65 - 2009-05-03 10:17 PM

Barry, Coach Shinji in the video was one of the teachers at my TI clinic in December.  He is amazingly floatatious...his body position is just so perfect it's incredible.  He did that Superman push off the wall and went more than halfway down the pool.  I think I went about 2 yards the first time I tried...and had it up to maybe the flags by the end of the clinic...which is NOT very far.  

It's really hard for me to get that 2 beat kick.  Do you have any suggestions?  I have tried really hard to keep my feet close together and kick with the hip rotation, but it is awkward for me. 

Hey Kim 

That video of him swimming is super cool.  I have been struggling with "finding" a stroke to stick with and work on...kind of bouncing between a TI style and just swimming.  I was actually getting pretty frusterated at masters, because I just didn't feel like I was getting any better.  Last week I had a friend who was a swimmer here at University, and she offered to help me.  Basically she told me that i was keeping my front hand still and my head was too far under water.  Obviously she was trying to teach me her 1980 sprint stroke.  I sent her the video to show her what I was trying to do, and she said that I was not stretching as far as he was, and my kick was not as strong.

I was still having trouble with ANY kick at all when we were together.  Basically, my kick makes me go BACKWARD.  Anyway, the past 2 weekends while I was OWS at the lake, I figured the kick out.  In my mind, I am kicking with my right leg as my right arm pulls.  I did this about three sessions in the lake, and it still wasn't totally clicking, then saturday afternoon, i found that my kick was really helping me rotate my hips.  I don't know if I could have EVER figured this out in the pool.  Something about swimming for a long distance and getting into a groove to figure out little things.  When swimming laps, I am always wanting to swim FAST, knowing that the wall will be there in a sec to get a little rest.  I am thinking that my new "stroke" may not be as fast for 50 yards, but I KNOW it will hold out for distance. 

Another thing...I don't know if I can explain this, but this was a breakthru for me.  I was having problems getting my breath.  Actually, I felt like I had to get my glide hand pulling to keep my face up long enough to get a breath because I would sink as I would rotate to my side and couldn't stay "long".  Something happened and I started working with my sinking...so actually I would get my breath AS i was sinking and rotating.  I think this "thought" has helped me as much as anything with my swimming, because it has enabled me to RELAX and not work so hard.

One thing for sure ... your TI coach is pretty smooth and you can tell that he is SUPER efficient.  I don't think anyone could go wrong using his technique to pattern after.
2009-05-04 8:42 AM

User image

Wow Beth,  88 miles.  Sorry it was cut short, but nice job.
2009-05-04 8:43 AM

User image

Rob - have a wonderful trip. 
Nice you will see so much family.
Safe travels to you. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383