BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-08-12 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Master
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Everyone's so quiet.  Is it because you're all out training?

2010-08-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3039146

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Yes. Darn it I guess not since I responded.  I did work out last night though.
I am taking the day off tomorrow because I have a race in Ohio on Sunday (did the race last year as my first tri).  So I am going home to relax and hang out with the parents and in-laws and brother, all of whom are coming to watch me race.  Should be a good time.
I'll be out of touch after today because the in-laws little beach cottage near my race does not have internet access so you will all have to wait patiently until Monday or Tuesday
2010-08-12 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3039146

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
crews - 2010-08-12 8:53 AM Everyone's so quiet.  Is it because you're all out training?

No.  It's too hot.  In the morning and evening when it's dropped into the super cool low 80's the humidity is like 80%.  During the day the humidity drops down around 40% but the temperatures with heat index are in the 100's.  I was going to go run on the treadmill at the gym this morning but my little dude got another mosquito bite on his face and because he has such a terrible reaction to them (and they just keep getting worse) his left eye is swollen shut and he looks like someone was bashing his face in.  

On the subject of shotbloks, I love them.  I've tried Gu and Hammer gels and they were just nasty yucky and I had a hard time swallowing them.  Most energy bar type nutrition is too dry.  The shotbloks are like gummy bears and go down easy without giving me any tummy problems.  I'm a fan. 
2010-08-12 11:54 AM

User image

Melon Presser
KERRY! RACE REPORT! BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!

"no air" can't breathe ... laughing too hard ... CAN'T TYPE.

BEST first race report ever, and one of the best race reports ever, period.

Welcome to the crazy bus, our beloved redhead.
2010-08-12 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3039556

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-08-12 11:33 PM
crews - 2010-08-12 8:53 AM Everyone's so quiet.  Is it because you're all out training?

No.  It's too hot.  In the morning and evening when it's dropped into the super cool low 80's the humidity is like 80%.  During the day the humidity drops down around 40% but the temperatures with heat index are in the 100's.  I was going to go run on the treadmill at the gym this morning but my little dude got another mosquito bite on his face and because he has such a terrible reaction to them (and they just keep getting worse) his left eye is swollen shut and he looks like someone was bashing his face in.  

On the subject of shotbloks, I love them.  I've tried Gu and Hammer gels and they were just nasty yucky and I had a hard time swallowing them.  Most energy bar type nutrition is too dry.  The shotbloks are like gummy bears and go down easy without giving me any tummy problems.  I'm a fan. 

Oh dear! I really feel for your little guy ... my skin and face get like that ... but there's just no explaining it to a little kid, poor thing.

I like Shot Blox for the bike, to suck/nibble, but they annoy me on the run. I need to get the nutrition down, fast, go.

No matter what you're eating, unless it's liquid nutrition, ALWAYS chase with water. Otherwise your body will draw the water needed to metabolise the sugar from your body ... rut roh.
2010-08-13 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Ryan - good luck at your race this weekend!!!

2010-08-13 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Allison - I hope the little guy's face gets better quickly.  It's tough when the little ones are sick or hurt

We have the heat as well.  I think we've had one day in the last 4 weeks that wasn't over 100 degrees.  I think we have some releif coming this weekend though.  I love love love summer, but it's just a little too HOT right now.  I've taken the last week or so off from training.  The last time I ran, I felt like I was running through a tunnel and my legs and arms were tingling.  Thought it best just to take it easy instead of pushing through the heat.
2010-08-13 9:25 AM

User image

Master
I'm a GU fan.  I like orange and I like strawberry banana and that is all.  I've tried lots of stuff, but I know I can run or bike up to 7 hours and trust that it will keep working.
2010-08-14 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Have a great race tomorrow, Ryan!

Back to little victories around these parts -- managed three workouts in a week; 2 runs and a spin class.  That's a big improvement over most of July and pitiful compared to what I was doing in, say, March.  Progress, progress.  My kids start school on Monday (ack!) and today's workout was trekking around an outlet mall for several hours taking advantage of tax free holiday and back to school sales.
2010-08-14 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Tear it up tomorrow Ryan!!! Glad to see you're getting back into it D. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
2010-08-15 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3044100

User image

Melon Presser
dinabean - 2010-08-15 10:06 AM Have a great race tomorrow, Ryan!

Back to little victories around these parts -- managed three workouts in a week; 2 runs and a spin class.  That's a big improvement over most of July and pitiful compared to what I was doing in, say, March.  Progress, progress.  My kids start school on Monday (ack!) and today's workout was trekking around an outlet mall for several hours taking advantage of tax free holiday and back to school sales.

Progress indeed! It's farther than I got this week ... also, there's a lot of merit to starting back slowly.

2010-08-15 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3041805

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2010-08-13 10:20 PM Ryan - good luck at your race this weekend!!!

How'd it go how'd it go how'd it go???
2010-08-16 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hi Manatees.  Just getting a quick hit of BT before work!!!  Miss you guys, looking forward to race reports (is it just me or do we, as a mentor group, have an unusually awesome and/or hilarious group of race report writers?).

Quick update, and I promise I will post more...just needed to get over the shock of actually going to work.  At a job where my boss doesn't barf on himself (most of the time).  

I am working for a small sports apparel company called sweatvac, and I am taking over the running and cycling inside sales position.  We actually do a lot of race t'shirts and other swag.  I'll post a link.  We are the manufacturer for USAT...the hats and visors with the USAT logo are ours.  So if you know of any races that need schwag, I'm your huckleberry.  We decorate the shirts using a process called sublimation...no icky plastic logo to make your nice tech tshirt feel hot and sweaty and unlimited colors! 

If going back to work full time weren't enough, we had my daughter's 6th birthday party this weekend, and I did 9 mile pace run on Sat and a 19 mile long run on Sunday.  I've been struggling with what I think is morton's neuroma developing in both of my feet, so I switched shoes and started wearing cushy (old lady) shoes all the time around the house and out and about (I am a barefoot gal...or minimal sandal type and that ain't gettin it right now.)  Fortunately I don't have any pain yet, just the classic pebble feeling in the ball of my foot.  Going to the podiatrist today...by all accounts it is an easy thing to manage and the fact that I don't have pain yet gives me hope I can run through it.  I'll report back later...this podiatrist is a sports med guy...puts you on a treadmill, etc, etc, so I am hopeful I don't get the standard, "well if running makes this hurt, stop running."  As.  IIIIIFFFF!!!

Looking forward to race reports from this weekend.  I've been checking in, just no time to write!  Dineen welcome back.  Lynn, I am hoping to get my own discount code so I can send people to the website with a discount for our stuff and I get the credit for it!  Everyone wins.  I have fantasies of doing a manatee tech shirt, but it's early in the job to go in demanding shirts for my friends!  In time.  Allison, a mosquito down here carried off a small dog from my neighbor's yard.  Not really, but they are deadly in Chicago this year.  You get the idea.  

On a nutrition note, I took a bag of jelly beans on my run yesterday (19 miles, furthest ever in my life).  They worked out pretty good and since they're so small, I could just eat one at a time and stretch it out...helped take my mind of my screaming legs from mile 13 thru 16.  Yikes.

Take care all... 
2010-08-16 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3045331

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
The race went really well! The official results have not posted yet.  All I have is the time on my watch and the overall unofficial results from the company (no leg splits). 
Plus I need time to write a semi-fabulous/funny race report.  I have a lot of pressure to perform in that area in this group   I will keep you all waiting in suspense until then
2010-08-16 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
Hello Manatees!!!

Allison, so sorry about your babies mosquito bites   My kids, unfortunately, have my skin and swell up like crazy too, so I know your pain.  As a matter of fact, my own legs look like their own leprosy colony from all the bug bites.

Dineen!  Rock on with your bad self!  So glad you are getting back into it.

Ryan, way to go this weekend!  Can't wait to read your report.

Re:  funny race reports, I think that Q and Yanti set the bar HIGH. 

I have more of a logistical question.... about money and tri's.  Last week, our van died.  We were hoping it would last another year, until my youngest was out of daycare, but it didn't.  So we had to get a new one.  Well new-to-me, that is.  SO I have enforced a strict budget in the household as we weren't really planning on a car payment.  That being said, I am having a hard time justifying traveling to my tri this weekend. 

I am physically ready and PSYCHED for another one, it's just the $$ I can't seem to justify.  Even if I slept in the new van, LOL!, I would still be shelling out at least $100 in gas, you know?  Anyone else ever have this issue?  I know Allison just moved, and was going through something similar.  It just pisses me off, you know?  (I am still wracking my brains to see how I can do it for no $$)

Not to mention the gym membership over the winter.  I may have to not swim this winter (BOO!).  <sigh>
2010-08-16 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

quincyf - 2010-08-16 5:24 AM Hi Manatees.  Just getting a quick hit of BT before work!!!  Miss you guys, looking forward to race reports (is it just me or do we, as a mentor group, have an unusually awesome and/or hilarious group of race report writers?).

Quick update, and I promise I will post more...just needed to get over the shock of actually going to work.  At a job where my boss doesn't barf on himself (most of the time).  

I am working for a small sports apparel company called sweatvac, and I am taking over the running and cycling inside sales position.  We actually do a lot of race t'shirts and other swag.  I'll post a link.  We are the manufacturer for USAT...the hats and visors with the USAT logo are ours.  So if you know of any races that need schwag, I'm your huckleberry.  We decorate the shirts using a process called sublimation...no icky plastic logo to make your nice tech tshirt feel hot and sweaty and unlimited colors! 

If going back to work full time weren't enough, we had my daughter's 6th birthday party this weekend, and I did 9 mile pace run on Sat and a 19 mile long run on Sunday.  I've been struggling with what I think is morton's neuroma developing in both of my feet, so I switched shoes and started wearing cushy (old lady) shoes all the time around the house and out and about (I am a barefoot gal...or minimal sandal type and that ain't gettin it right now.)  Fortunately I don't have any pain yet, just the classic pebble feeling in the ball of my foot.  Going to the podiatrist today...by all accounts it is an easy thing to manage and the fact that I don't have pain yet gives me hope I can run through it.  I'll report back later...this podiatrist is a sports med guy...puts you on a treadmill, etc, etc, so I am hopeful I don't get the standard, "well if running makes this hurt, stop running."  As.  IIIIIFFFF!!!

Looking forward to race reports from this weekend.  I've been checking in, just no time to write!  Dineen welcome back.  Lynn, I am hoping to get my own discount code so I can send people to the website with a discount for our stuff and I get the credit for it!  Everyone wins.  I have fantasies of doing a manatee tech shirt, but it's early in the job to go in demanding shirts for my friends!  In time.  Allison, a mosquito down here carried off a small dog from my neighbor's yard.  Not really, but they are deadly in Chicago this year.  You get the idea.  

On a nutrition note, I took a bag of jelly beans on my run yesterday (19 miles, furthest ever in my life).  They worked out pretty good and since they're so small, I could just eat one at a time and stretch it out...helped take my mind of my screaming legs from mile 13 thru 16.  Yikes.

Take care all... 

BIG CONGRATS on the 19miler! You're going to do really well in that 26.2. I have a feeling.....

And, you know I was JK about the discount. But, that sounds like a cool discount and employee incentive program.

Stay cool and enjoy not being barfed on!

2010-08-16 11:34 AM

User image

Regular
quincyf - 2010-08-16 8:24 AM

Oh!  Good luck today!! *** an aside - I made shirts for my mommy friends who did the iron girl with me, not as cool as your shirts are I am sure!  Wish I was planning a race just so I could order from you!***

Awesome run and good luck with the morton's neuroma (off to google morton's neuroma)
2010-08-16 10:27 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey, just a quick note!  I am so happy, the podiatrist modified my shoes with some padding and pretty much ruled out morton's neuroma and they took xrays and ruled out fractures or other bad things.  I knew it was a possibility that my self diagnosis was wrong, but I thought it would be wrong and something else worse would be wrong.  I am so relieved.  I got a bit of a lecture about how hard I am training, but no forced time off...

Get this, he wants me to CROSSTRAIN.  Now what the heck am I going to use for crosstraining?  Any ideas?  Crickets?  haha

Just wanted to share since I was being a drama queen about it this morning!  Hooray!

G'night all...
2010-08-17 12:09 AM
in reply to: #3047301

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Great news. I'm sure you're relieved....how about croquet for cross training?

2010-08-17 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3047357

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Hopefully your first day at the new job went well Q!

Here's my race report. I tried to at least make it half as funny and fun to read as the ones from other manatees which will remain unnamed at this time

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=222695

2010-08-17 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Hi all!!  Been MIA lately.  I just did a quick skim of posts so I am sure I missed a bunch of stuff but wanted to say:
Ryan- congrats!!!  On the great news of the baby on the way and on your race the other weekend!

Kerry- Congrats Triathlete!!  Great job on your first tri!  I didn't get a chance to read the whole RR but hope you had a great time at the race.

I will try to read the rest of the posts to catch up.  

Quincy- I think I saw something about a job offer for you?  Didn't read all the posts so don't know if you took it or not... If so good luck with the new job.

My mind has  been on Timberman these past couple weeks.  We leave on Friday for NH and I am very nervous about doing my first HIM.  I just want to finish as my main goal.  Second goal is to finish within 7.5 hrs ( but we will see how things go on the bike...)  Bad news is that of 18 waves I am in.... YOu guessed it WAVE 18!!  and the swim is my weakest of the 3!  So I am starting from behind right from the get go.  

2010-08-17 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3048644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks Laura.  It's ok that you were MIA but we missed you. But hopefully that means you have been training hard for you HIM??  I am excited for your race this weekend...I hope someday I can complete an HIM too. I think setting the goal of finishing is a good idea for your 1st one.  Good luck!
2010-08-20 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3047963

User image

Melon Presser
blackledge - 2010-08-17 11:46 PM

Hopefully your first day at the new job went well Q!

Here's my race report. I tried to at least make it half as funny and fun to read as the ones from other manatees which will remain unnamed at this time

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=222695

HIGH-rarious!!!!

Congratulations, darling Ryan.
2010-08-20 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3048644

User image

Melon Presser
elbi999 - 2010-08-18 3:55 AM Hi all!!  Been MIA lately.  I just did a quick skim of posts so I am sure I missed a bunch of stuff but wanted to say:
Ryan- congrats!!!  On the great news of the baby on the way and on your race the other weekend!

Kerry- Congrats Triathlete!!  Great job on your first tri!  I didn't get a chance to read the whole RR but hope you had a great time at the race.

I will try to read the rest of the posts to catch up.  

Quincy- I think I saw something about a job offer for you?  Didn't read all the posts so don't know if you took it or not... If so good luck with the new job.

My mind has  been on Timberman these past couple weeks.  We leave on Friday for NH and I am very nervous about doing my first HIM.  I just want to finish as my main goal.  Second goal is to finish within 7.5 hrs ( but we will see how things go on the bike...)  Bad news is that of 18 waves I am in.... YOu guessed it WAVE 18!!  and the swim is my weakest of the 3!  So I am starting from behind right from the get go.  

GOOD LUCK LAURA!!!!!!!!!! I hope you see this before you leave, or sometime, but the Manatees are pulling for you!!!

My first HIM I was in the SECOND TO LAST wave. That was demoralizing. However, all the people in the LAST wave who passed me on the bike were very encouraging. It was actually pretty cool being Last of the Mohicans and besides ... you don't actually have a lot of people blowing by you.
2010-08-20 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3054986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I am not sure if you will see this either Laura but good luck again and remember to have fun and breathe!
And like Yanti said...no worries about going in the last wave.  Afterall that is just more people that you can pass right?

And thanks darling-Yanti for your comments on my race report.  "darling Ryan" haha I love it
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60