BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2010-10-19 12:48 AM
in reply to: #3159458

User image

Master
Subject: RE: BamaDC's mentor group is Closed!
cornfed - 2010-10-18 10:45 PM
titeloops - 2010-10-18 4:31 PM

Conti GATORSKINS! Sposed to be bombproof. I put em, on my race wheels. Maybe not this fastest tire, but I'll trade that for not having flats.

I checked out a few reviews and a lot of people are saying the same thing.  Other thing people are saying is that they hold up well on the trainer.  I need to replace my back tire but should I get a matching one for the front? Also, what width do I want to get? My current tires are 700x23.  They where the ones that came with the bike so I've never had to think about this before.  Should I just get the same thing or look at a different width?

You have so many choices.  For the trainer use the cheapest thing you can find.  Trainers can eat tires.  Or buy a trainer tire - they make ones specifically for the trainer.  No need to have the back and front match, other than aesthetics. 

As far as what to buy, what are you trying to buy?

Bombproof?  Gatorskins will do you.  Don't race them, though - slow as dirt.
Race tires?  IMO, Vittoria evo corsa cx 320tpi.  Michelin Pro Race 3s are also high on people's list.
All around? Conti 4000s seems to be the most common choice.  Good all arounder.  Also tires like Vittoria Rubino, Hutchison Fusion 3 (love these - they go on and off so easy)
Training? i.e. cheap - Vittoria Zaffiro (what I bought as an extra set).  Lots of others.  Whatever is decent on sale.

23mm width is the standard width.  You can go 25 for a plusher ride.  I've never ridden 21s or 20s, but folks say it is a harsh ride and handling isn't great.

2010-10-19 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3159508

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
sand101 - 2010-10-19 12:48 AM

Conti GATORSKINS! Sposed to be bombproof. I put em, on my race wheels. Maybe not this fastest tire, but I'll trade that for not having flats.

I checked out a few reviews and a lot of people are saying the same thing.  Other thing people are saying is that they hold up well on the trainer.  I need to replace my back tire but should I get a matching one for the front? Also, what width do I want to get? My current tires are 700x23.  They where the ones that came with the bike so I've never had to think about this before.  Should I just get the same thing or look at a different width?

You have so many choices.  For the trainer use the cheapest thing you can find.  Trainers can eat tires.  Or buy a trainer tire - they make ones specifically for the trainer.  No need to have the back and front match, other than aesthetics. 

Race tires?  IMO, Vittoria evo corsa cx 320tpi.  Michelin Pro Race 3s are also high on people's list.
All around? Conti 4000s seems to be the most common choice.  Good all arounder.  Also tires like Vittoria Rubino, Hutchison Fusion 3 (love these - they go on and off so easy)
Training? i.e. cheap - Vittoria Zaffiro (what I bought as an extra set).  Lots of others.  Whatever is decent on sale.

23mm width is the standard width.  You can go 25 for a plusher ride.  I've never ridden 21s or 20s, but folks say it is a harsh ride and handling isn't great.

Good info. 

I've ridden 20mm on a pair of HEDs for a sprit tri and I'll stick to my 23mm PR3s.
2010-10-19 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3160318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-10-19 12:32 PM

Good info. 

I've ridden 20mm on a pair of HEDs for a sprit tri and I'll stick to my 23mm PR3s.

Do you guys think I would be better off with a set of gatorskins for the winter and trainer and then get some race tires in the spring or go with a good all around like the conti for everything?
2010-10-19 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2781196

User image

Expert
Alabama

BamaDC et al...

I'm training for my first Half Marathon on December 4th.  I'm upping my mileage each week (hopefully not too quickly, you can check my logs).  Weekly mileage - This week is 29 miles, then it builds to 36miles 2 weeks out from the HM (in 7 weeks out).

So my question is:

Once I get all this training behind me and complete the HM on Dec 4th, where should I go from there?  I can do 2 more half's, one in February (Mercedes or New Orleans) and one in March (Atlanta), or I can begin to build for a marathon in February (New Orleans or Mercedes).

My focus is on running this winter, in addition to fitting in Jorges cycling plan. I want to build my fitness and get faster as my running was my biggest limiter.  My guess right now, would be that I would do 2 sprints next year and maybe 2 Oly, ending with Augusta 70.3 in September.

Would the build to a Marathon be helpful, or should I focus on building a solid running base to carry over to next tri season and next fall and concentrate on the Half Marathons this year?

2010-10-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3160697

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
pilotzs - 2010-10-19 1:48 PM

BamaDC et al...

I'm training for my first Half Marathon on December 4th.  I'm upping my mileage each week (hopefully not too quickly, you can check my logs).  Weekly mileage - This week is 29 miles, then it builds to 36miles 2 weeks out from the HM (in 7 weeks out).

So my question is:

Once I get all this training behind me and complete the HM on Dec 4th, where should I go from there?  I can do 2 more half's, one in February (Mercedes or New Orleans) and one in March (Atlanta), or I can begin to build for a marathon in February (New Orleans or Mercedes).

My focus is on running this winter, in addition to fitting in Jorges cycling plan. I want to build my fitness and get faster as my running was my biggest limiter.  My guess right now, would be that I would do 2 sprints next year and maybe 2 Oly, ending with Augusta 70.3 in September.

Would the build to a Marathon be helpful, or should I focus on building a solid running base to carry over to next tri season and next fall and concentrate on the Half Marathons this year?

I would do Mercedes and save some money. 

You can do Jorge's plan and keep up your run mileage.  With Jorge's plan you'll improve if you half way follow it, because there is so much intensity.  The key to running that much along with the bike intensity will be your nutrition and how much sleep you can get.

Concentrate on the half marathons this year. If you want to do a Marathon then do one late next year or early 2012.  Build some base and drop some weight, and you'll be more prepared for the Marathon.

But if you just really want to complete a marathon, then we'll do are best to help you through it.  Personally, I'm still on the fence about Mercedes.  If my Ab/Hip flexor get well I may give it a go.
2010-10-19 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3160408

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-10-19 11:50 AM

Good info. 

Do you guys think I would be better off with a set of gatorskins for the winter and trainer and then get some race tires in the spring or go with a good all around like the conti for everything?

I say #1.  If you do all of Jorge's plan you'll eat up some tires.

Be sure to crack a window so you don't set off the smoke detectors!  I know this from experience! 

2010-10-19 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3160741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-10-19 3:08 PM

Good info. 

Be sure to crack a window so you don't set off the smoke detectors!  I know this from experience! 

Conti makes a trainer specific tire.  Would I be better off with that?
2010-10-19 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3160737

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2010-10-19 2:06 PM

BamaDC et al...

So my question is:

I would do Mercedes and save some money. 

You can do Jorge's plan and keep up your run mileage.  With Jorge's plan you'll improve if you half way follow it, because there is so much intensity.  The key to running that much along with the bike intensity will be your nutrition and how much sleep you can get.

Concentrate on the half marathons this year. If you want to do a Marathon then do one late next year or early 2012.  Build some base and drop some weight, and you'll be more prepared for the Marathon.

But if you just really want to complete a marathon, then we'll do are best to help you through it.  Personally, I'm still on the fence about Mercedes.  If my Ab/Hip flexor get well I may give it a go.

New Orleans Half came into the picture because I can meet some of my family there, as they are in Houston.  New Orleans is 1/2 way for both of us.  But, that's not in stone yet.

I was thinking it may be best to concentrate on the half's this year, but wanted some different opinions, especially since my bike needs work also.  I'm not relishing doing a full marathon this year, just didn't know if it would be worth it this year or not to benefit my running.

What's wrong with your Ab/Hip Flexor?  I've had a problem with my hip flexor before and struggling with a hamstring currently.
2010-10-19 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3160818

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
pilotzs - 2010-10-19 3:45 PM
BamaDC - 2010-10-19 2:06 PM

I was thinking it may be best to concentrate on the half's this year, but wanted some different opinions, especially since my bike needs work also.  I'm not relishing doing a full marathon this year, just didn't know if it would be worth it this year or not to benefit my running.

I agree with Mark that focusing on HM would be better.  Last year I basically did what you're talking about.  I ran a half in the fall of '09 then ran a full marathon this spring.  My thought was that doing so would force me to focus on my running all winter and get me in shape for this season.   It definitely improved my running but looking back all it really did was help me push my mileage up and be consistent.  Looking at your logs I think you would benefit a lot from keeping your weekly mileage up after your race on the 4th.  It will be a lot easier to keep it up that it was to build it in the first place.  And like Mark pointed out, you'll be keep that run volume while still biking or doing something else. 

For what it's worth this is basically my plan.  I've taken some time off from swimming and biking since my race last month.  That was because I needed a rest.  I'm going to do Jorge's program and focus on running at the same time.  I'm not sure if I'll run a half marathon or a 10k in the spring. Either way I'm planning to get my running in to the 30-35 mile/week range and keep it there.  A lot of beginner programs has relatively low mileage so training for a full marathon seems like a good way to get your mileage up.  But if you look at intermediate running programs they all have higher mileage regardless of the distance.  I'm looking at a combined 5k and 10k program on runners world that calls for 30+ miles/week.
2010-10-19 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3160697

User image

Expert
Raleigh

BamaDC et al...

So my question is:

Man you runners are killin me. I have NO desire to run a stand alone marathon.

But to your point, what's your goal for your HM?  I say bag the full, run a couple of halfs, and lets all hammer those trainers this winter.
2010-10-19 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3160756

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cornfed - 2010-10-19 2:17 PM
BamaDC - 2010-10-19 3:08 PM

Good info. 

Conti makes a trainer specific tire.  Would I be better off with that?

Thats a lot of tire changing to do. For me, I'll just stick to the GSkins.

2010-10-19 11:09 PM
in reply to: #3160408

User image

Master

Are you blowing tires out over and over?  Do you mind changing tires?

Personally I used my trainer all winter last year and never had an issue with tire wear.  Just my experience.  And I actually like changing my tires and tubes for race day.  So that doesn't bother me. 

Unless you really have issues blowing out tubes a lot I wouldn't worry about Gatorskins.  If you do have bad roads absolutely get a set - the peace of mind is worth it.  I certainly wouldn't race them, though (sorry titeloops).  You give up a s***load of time using a tire like that.  Look here.  The difference between the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo 320 tpi CX and the bottom of the list (which is where the Gatorskin would be) at 250 watts is .9mph.  Almost a mile per hour.  That's HUGE.  (getting off my soapbox now).  The Conti 4000s is only .1mph slower on paper (pretty small).

If you want the easiest solution - get a Zaffiro trainer tire (cheaper than Conti) and some Conti 4000s for everything else.  The 4000s is pretty close to true "race" tires.  For the tires make sure to check ProBikeKit and Wiggle and those nutty UK places.  They tend to have great prices.
2010-10-20 5:08 AM
in reply to: #3161583

User image

Expert
Raleigh
sand101 - 2010-10-19 11:09 PM

Personally I used my trainer all winter last year and never had an issue with tire wear.  Just my experience.  And I actually like changing my tires and tubes for race day.  So that doesn't bother me. 

Unless you really have issues blowing out tubes a lot I wouldn't worry about Gatorskins.  If you do have bad roads absolutely get a set - the peace of mind is worth it.  I certainly wouldn't race them, though (sorry titeloops).  You give up a s***load of time using a tire like that.  Look here.  The difference between the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo 320 tpi CX and the bottom of the list (which is where the Gatorskin would be) at 250 watts is .9mph.  Almost a mile per hour.  That's HUGE.  (getting off my soapbox now).  The Conti 4000s is only .1mph slower on paper (pretty small).

If you want the easiest solution - get a Zaffiro trainer tire (cheaper than Conti) and some Conti 4000s for everything else.  The 4000s is pretty close to true "race" tires.  For the tires make sure to check ProBikeKit and Wiggle and those nutty UK places.  They tend to have great prices.
Holy crap! Damnit sand, why did you have to show me this? Now I need new race tires.
2010-10-20 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
sand101 - 2010-10-19 11:09 PM

I've got the Conti 4000's as my tires.  I've been training and racing on them.  They are good tires, and have not had issues with them.

I am planning on changing to a different (older tire) when i get on the trainer for Jorges program.  Save the Conti's for next season.

Edited by pilotzs 2010-10-20 7:55 AM
2010-10-20 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3161377

User image

Expert
Alabama
titeloops - 2010-10-19 7:48 PM

BamaDC et al...

So my question is:

But to your point, what's your goal for your HM?  I say bag the full, run a couple of halfs, and lets all hammer those trainers this winter.

corn, 30-35 miles a week for a 5k to 10k training program.  I may have to take a look at that.  I would imagine it's pretty intense.

I'm a really slow runner, so it really needs some focus this winter.  I think I can build some good mileage by focusing on the HM this year, especially to get into the 30-35 mile range.  I basically have three time goals for my first HM.  My A goal is 2:00, my B goal (most likely outcome) 2:15, and my C (just finish goal) is 2:30.  I'm not planning on disappointing myself until i get my first HM under my belt.  I'll see how the first goes, then set some more realistic improvement goals.

This leads me to another question.  My plan is to continue w/ a base of around 30 miles a week after my HM in December.  If your running 30-35 miles a week consistantly as a base, what do your weekly runs look like?  How would you structure them? 

2010-10-20 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
sand101 - 2010-10-20 12:09 AM

I haven't really had a problem with tires.  I shredded two (this weekend and one back in July) because of really bad road conditions (ie road torn up because of construction and I probably shouldn't have been riding on it but I didn't realize it until too late) tires but other than that I haven't had any real problems.  I think I'll get a set of Conti 4000 for general use and put my current front tire on the trainer on the back when I'm on the trainer.  Heck, I've got it so why not and that way I don't have to worry about extra wear on my "good" tires.

This sounds like a good plan to me.  Thanks guys.

2010-10-20 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3161849

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
pilotzs - 2010-10-20 9:08 AM
titeloops - 2010-10-19 7:48 PM

BamaDC et al...

So my question is:

corn, 30-35 miles a week for a 5k to 10k training program.  I may have to take a look at that.  I would imagine it's pretty intense.

It's a Runners World program.  It's a general program so it doesn't say "run this much today, run this much tomorrow".  It covers the quality days and how much volume you should have on the other days.  It's a little up to you how to fill in the rest but the description does say you would have a base of 25+ miles/week before starting. 

It does look to be pretty intense.  There are two options, on with two speed/quality days and another with one.  I feel that I could keep up with 25+ mi/wk volume and still do Jorge's program but not sure if I can handle the intensity of both at the same time.  That's what I'm trying to figure out now.

Here's the link... http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-388-10584-0,00.html

2010-10-20 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3161880

User image

Master
cornfed - 2010-10-20 8:23 AM
sand101 - 2010-10-20 12:09 AM

I haven't really had a problem with tires.  I shredded two (this weekend and one back in July) because of really bad road conditions (ie road torn up because of construction and I probably shouldn't have been riding on it but I didn't realize it until too late) tires but other than that I haven't had any real problems.  I think I'll get a set of Conti 4000 for general use and put my current front tire on the trainer on the back when I'm on the trainer.  Heck, I've got it so why not and that way I don't have to worry about extra wear on my "good" tires.

This sounds like a good plan to me.  Thanks guys.

Sounds good.  Make sure to get the 4000s.  Same price, but tests a good bit faster.
2010-10-20 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
FYI, Jorge has the Prep phase of his plan posted on his blog.  I may do some of the prep work for a few weeks.

I'm guessing we all decided to start December 1 with the actual Winter Training Plan?
2010-10-20 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3163055

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
pilotzs - 2010-10-20 3:14 PM FYI, Jorge has the Prep phase of his plan posted on his blog.  I may do some of the prep work for a few weeks.

I'm guessing we all decided to start December 1 with the actual Winter Training Plan?

I'd like to start the program together. The 1st is in the middle of the week so we should all probably decide if we want to start the the beginning of that week (29 Nov) or the following week (6 Dec).  I'm good either way.

I like your idea of doing the prep work until then.  I'll probably start that.

Have you seen the "Winter Running Thread"?  Newbz started it.  Not sure if it will go anywhere but you might want to take a look at it.
2010-10-20 8:02 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
So, now that I'm late again to the party, I'll add my two cents

TIRES
I'm racing and riding on Conti 4000s 700x20. Yes, they're 20s. I started out with 25s on the road bike (Mondos) and loved them. When I bought the tri bike, it came with 23s. The rear wheel I have flexes a little too much for me and the 23s rubbed the bottom stay. The 20s don't. So that's what I'm racing.

For the trainer, I have a dedicated trainer wheel - CFX rim, Michelin Pro Race 3 700x23. With it, I got the tire from the shop as a junk tire and my whole intentions are to burn it up and not worry about it. It beats buying more.

RUNNING
Pilot, I'd say once you build to your 30mpw, I'd hold it and stay there working in some tempo sets. At least that way you'll be able to work on your speed and you'll be at a comfortable distance for the half marathons. At least that's what I'm planning on doing myself.

2010-10-21 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3163268

User image

Expert
Alabama
cornfed - 2010-10-20 3:18 PM
pilotzs - 2010-10-20 3:14 PM FYI, Jorge has the Prep phase of his plan posted on his blog.  I may do some of the prep work for a few weeks.

I'd like to start the program together. The 1st is in the middle of the week so we should all probably decide if we want to start the the beginning of that week (29 Nov) or the following week (6 Dec).  I'm good either way.

I like your idea of doing the prep work until then.  I'll probably start that.

Have you seen the "Winter Running Thread"?  Newbz started it.  Not sure if it will go anywhere but you might want to take a look at it.

I'm good with starting December 6th.  My HM is Dec 4th, so that will work fine for me.

I've been reading the "Winter Running Thread".  There appears to be some good advice in there.  I'm going to keep up with it.

Sheep, I'm planning on doing basically what you talk about.  I want to build to 30mpw, then keep between that and 40 mpw, working in some tempo sessions.  I've done some tempo work during my runs (2-3 miles at HM pace, in the middle of a run).  Some days are better than others.  I just hope I'm not running the bulk of my mileage too fast.  I've been averaging 10:30-10:45/mile pace on my longer runs.  McMillian says I should be running them around 11:26 based on my 5k time, but I'm basically keeping in Z2 now that it's gotten cooler.
2010-10-21 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
The pressure is on!  My Buddy from Grad school(dcwannabe) just BQ with a 3:08.  Our plan was to run the 2012 race together.  So I guess I've got to man up.
2010-10-21 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3164600

User image

Expert
Raleigh
BamaDC - 2010-10-21 9:24 AM The pressure is on!  My Buddy from Grad school(dcwannabe) just BQ with a 3:08.  Our plan was to run the 2012 race together.  So I guess I've got to man up.

Yep. Hip injury be damned! You better BQ, and then beat his azz. If not, the smack talk will last for years.

Although, tough to beat a 3:08's azz.

Edited by titeloops 2010-10-21 12:32 PM
2010-10-21 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3165184

User image

Expert
Alabama
titeloops - 2010-10-21 12:32 PM
BamaDC - 2010-10-21 9:24 AM The pressure is on!  My Buddy from Grad school(dcwannabe) just BQ with a 3:08.  Our plan was to run the 2012 race together.  So I guess I've got to man up.

Yep. Hip injury be damned! You better BQ, and then beat his azz. If not, the smack talk will last for years.

Although, tough to beat a 3:08's azz.

I can only dream of 3:08's
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  

of 52