BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-03-31 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3256125

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED

Okay, I need some help.  During my tempo run on Tuesday I developed a little bit of a blister on the arch of my foot.  I don't know if it came from the faster pace or what, but I definitely developed a blister.  It didn't fill with fluid, but it hurt a bit.  So, tonight I went for an easy run.  The blister has not bothered me at all for the past 2 days, and I really didn't think it would be a problem!  I put on a little Body Glide and away I went.  Big mistake!  I had to cut my run a mile short and now I have a full blown, fluid filled blister.  This is actually my first blister.  I don't know what to do with it.  Obviously I want to keep running, but I know that I will not be able to like this.  I have a 9 mile run on Sunday.  Any experience anyone?  Anything I can cover it with that will stick for 9 miles so that I can still run?

Karen

2011-03-31 8:02 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Karen

Don't worry! You should be fine by Sunday. I'm sure there is a hundred ways to do this but this is what I found works best for me. Take a pin and sterilize it. Poke a hole in the blister and drain it. Do not tear the skin off of it. Let the dead skin fall off on it's own. It will act as a cushion and band-aid while the raw skin underneath heals. If you don't think a band-aid will stay you can go to Walgreens and get some self adhesive tape. It's kind of a soft medical tape that only sticks to itself. Wrap that around your foot with or without the band-aid underneath if you need to run. It's better if you can give it a break and let it heal. I had a blister Sunday from my long run. I popped it when I got home and didn't bandage it at all. It was fine the next night and I was able to do another run without any bandage. The skin is still there though ewwwwwww, I know!
2011-03-31 10:17 PM

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

Brian,

Tough Mudder is a foot race up and back down a mountain.   Every half mile or so there is a obstacle to overcome.  These can be almost anything from climbing, crawling.  There is a great map with explainations at http://toughmudder.com/events/socal/snow-valley-course-map-2011/  Check it out.  Going to be so fun.  There are no winners and you can have teams.   My team is about 15 people already.  The goal is strictly to finish.  I only have 2 months to train for it.  I will be adding a lot more running to my training as well as strength building exercises.  Use bike and swim as fillers when I need a break.   Let me know what you think.

2011-04-01 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3424624

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shrevemaintenance - 2011-03-31 10:17 PM

Brian,

Tough Mudder is a foot race up and back down a mountain.   Every half mile or so there is a obstacle to overcome.  These can be almost anything from climbing, crawling.  There is a great map with explainations at http://toughmudder.com/events/socal/snow-valley-course-map-2011/  Check it out.  Going to be so fun.  There are no winners and you can have teams.   My team is about 15 people already.  The goal is strictly to finish.  I only have 2 months to train for it.  I will be adding a lot more running to my training as well as strength building exercises.  Use bike and swim as fillers when I need a break.   Let me know what you think.

sounds pretty cool!! it would definitely be beneficial to ramp up on the running.
2011-04-01 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3424892

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
It is April and snowing. Is this some kind of cruel April Fools joke?? It's like the universe just does not want me to ride my bike outside! Grrr, I am getting SO frustrated. Where is spring??????
2011-04-01 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3425058

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

sbux87 - 2011-04-01 9:57 AM It is April and snowing. Is this some kind of cruel April Fools joke?? It's like the universe just does not want me to ride my bike outside! Grrr, I am getting SO frustrated. Where is spring??????

That is exactly what I asked my husband when I got up this morning and looked out the window?  This is getting ridiculous!

My March goals were:

Running:  70 miles        Accomplished at 76.75 miles - 14:08:27 hours

Swimming:  6 hours      Accomplished at 10:40:31 hours

Cycling:  8 hours          Accomplished at 10:40 hours

Work on my nutrition     Still a work in process.  I feel like I have accomplished a lot this month, incorporating new foods into my diet, and working on adding more healthy fat.  I have been trying to keep my diet to 40% carbs/30% fats/30% protein.  It is still hard, but I feel that I am getting closer.

My April goals are:

Running:  90 miles

Swimming:  10 hours

Cycling:  11 hours (Some of these better be outside!  When I am able to get outside regularly, my goal will change to a mile based goal.)

Continue to dial in my every day and race day nutrition.

2011-04-01 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
OOPS!

Edited by gadgetlaw 2011-04-01 9:32 AM
2011-04-01 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3425127

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
gadgetlaw - 2011-04-01 9:31 AM

sbux87 - 2011-04-01 9:57 AM It is April and snowing. Is this some kind of cruel April Fools joke?? It's like the universe just does not want me to ride my bike outside! Grrr, I am getting SO frustrated. Where is spring??????

That is exactly what I asked my husband when I got up this morning and looked out the window?  This is getting ridiculous!

My March goals were:

Running:  70 miles        Accomplished at 76.75 miles - 14:08:27 hours

Swimming:  6 hours      Accomplished at 10:40:31 hours

Cycling:  8 hours          Accomplished at 10:40 hours

Work on my nutrition     Still a work in process.  I feel like I have accomplished a lot this month, incorporating new foods into my diet, and working on adding more healthy fat.  I have been trying to keep my diet to 40% carbs/30% fats/30% protein.  It is still hard, but I feel that I am getting closer.

My April goals are:

Running:  90 miles

Swimming:  10 hours

Cycling:  11 hours (Some of these better be outside!  When I am able to get outside regularly, my goal will change to a mile based goal.)

Continue to dial in my every day and race day nutrition.

Great work Karen!!

It's actually nice here. Maybe around 40. It's supposed to rain today and Sunday but Saturday should be 55 and sunny! That rain will soak the MTB trails though so I doubt I'll be able to test the MTB this weekdend.
2011-04-01 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

sbux87 - 2011-04-01 8:57 AM It is April and snowing. Is this some kind of cruel April Fools joke?? It's like the universe just does not want me to ride my bike outside! Grrr, I am getting SO frustrated. Where is spring??????

I 2nd you on this. Sooooooooo disappointing!

2011-04-01 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3422933

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

I just got a message from another triathlete that did the race with me.  I am stoked.  Here is what she said. 

"I've never experienced water quite that cold in a tri before, it took my breath away. You are right about that hill - it was pretty ridiculous. Few tri courses are quite as challenging as this one, with the cold and hills and especially this year with the soggy conditions. Every triathlete starts somewhere, and this was one bad place for you to start - great job!! "

I never knew that it was going to be a extra hard one to start with.  I thought I was avoiding that because it was so small.   I guess that makes me extra stoked that I still did it and finished. 

2011-04-02 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3422984

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

I'm also toying with the idea of making an attempt to get down to 165lbs during April. Not sure on this yet because I'm going to have to start picking up with bike and it will be hard to make gains on the bike while losing weight. Maybe, I don't know. What do you guys think?

I just read an article in this months Triathlete magazine that says you cannot lose weight and improve fitness at the same time.  It says you should try and lose weight prior to a training program.  If you tried to lose a lot of weight now, could it effect your marathon training?  I tell you the truth,  I have no stinkin idea how to lose more weight.  I train and eat a deficit of calories and never seem to lose weight.  Well I guess I do but it is at a super slow rate.   Anyway, going for a hike today.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

2011-04-02 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3426427

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
First outdoor run of the season! Wooooo! 
2011-04-02 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3426427

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-02 9:19 AM

I'm also toying with the idea of making an attempt to get down to 165lbs during April. Not sure on this yet because I'm going to have to start picking up with bike and it will be hard to make gains on the bike while losing weight. Maybe, I don't know. What do you guys think?

I just read an article in this months Triathlete magazine that says you cannot lose weight and improve fitness at the same time.  It says you should try and lose weight prior to a training program.  If you tried to lose a lot of weight now, could it effect your marathon training?  I tell you the truth,  I have no stinkin idea how to lose more weight.  I train and eat a deficit of calories and never seem to lose weight.  Well I guess I do but it is at a super slow rate.   Anyway, going for a hike today.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Dale, there is definitely a lot of debate about this. I've lost weight and had gains before. The were documented and measured on a computrainer. I did it over a 16 week period. The first 8 weeks went great. I had a 10% gain in power measured by my FTP and lost about 10 pounds. Something happened during the next 8 weeks where I lost 5 pounds in one week. That blew me up. From there on I had no more gains. However, I did maintain. I lost 15lbs. While my power didn't go up my power/weight ratio skyrocketed. So even though I didn't gain anymore power after that first 8 weeks I still got a lot faster on the bike. On the run, it's said you gain 3 seconds per mile for every pound you lose!(I think). But your right it's difficult, which is why I'm not sure about it yet. I'd be happy if all my speed came from losing a few pounds right now. I'm to the point now people say I'm too skinny. So I guess that means I need to lose about 10 more pounds. But I'm having a real hard time losing anymore weight. I can count cals workout like crazy and still nothing! It's just a plateu I'll have to deal with right now.
2011-04-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3426492

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-02 10:46 AM

First outdoor run of the season! Wooooo! 

Nice Henry!! I got outside this morning too. It was 45ish today and sunny. If the MTB trails weren't still wet I'd be headed over there too. Tomorrow is supposed to be 55 but rain! I guess I'll do my taxes instead!
2011-04-03 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3426601

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
I just had my first 'A' race of the season...a 10 mile race in DC! It was so fun....15,000 people were running and there was actually a lottery to get in. The energy was great and the course was pretty easy. There were only a few slight inclines and I powered through and passed people on them thanks to all the hill training coming from Pittsburgh. It was great running weather...about 40* at the start and sunny. It warmed up quick and I had to stop and take off my outer layer which cost me some time. I did what I always do and walked through water stations taking both gaterade and water and having a gel at mile 5. I felt good the majority of the race but like ALWAYS during miles 7-8 I start thinking 'why in the world did I decide to do this?!?' But then I always remember as soon as I cross the finish line! I finished in 1:35 and ran 10.1 mi w an 9:25 average. I am very happy with this! Boy do I hurt though, I stretched and foam rolled but my quads are killing me! Now we have a 4.5 hr drive home and I plan on napping for most of it---don't worry, im not driving
2011-04-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3427458

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
sbux87 - 2011-04-03 11:56 AM

I just had my first 'A' race of the season...a 10 mile race in DC! It was so fun....15,000 people were running and there was actually a lottery to get in. The energy was great and the course was pretty easy. There were only a few slight inclines and I powered through and passed people on them thanks to all the hill training coming from Pittsburgh. It was great running weather...about 40* at the start and sunny. It warmed up quick and I had to stop and take off my outer layer which cost me some time. I did what I always do and walked through water stations taking both gaterade and water and having a gel at mile 5. I felt good the majority of the race but like ALWAYS during miles 7-8 I start thinking 'why in the world did I decide to do this?!?' But then I always remember as soon as I cross the finish line! I finished in 1:35 and ran 10.1 mi w an 9:25 average. I am very happy with this! Boy do I hurt though, I stretched and foam rolled but my quads are killing me! Now we have a 4.5 hr drive home and I plan on napping for most of it---don't worry, im not driving

way to go Sarah!!!! I bet you feel like a million bucks!!, besides the pain.

Great race, and good time!!!

2011-04-03 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratulations Sarah!  That's great work!  That is the one great thing about training in Pittsburgh - what other people consider hills often turn out to be nothing Smile   I can't go within 20 feet of my house with out encountering some major hills.  Good luck with your recovery!
2011-04-03 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3426600

User image

Veteran
Meulen - 2011-04-02 2:35 PM

Dale, there is definitely a lot of debate about this. I've lost weight and had gains before. The were documented and measured on a computrainer. I did it over a 16 week period. The first 8 weeks went great. I had a 10% gain in power measured by my FTP and lost about 10 pounds. Something happened during the next 8 weeks where I lost 5 pounds in one week. That blew me up. From there on I had no more gains. However, I did maintain. I lost 15lbs. While my power didn't go up my power/weight ratio skyrocketed. So even though I didn't gain anymore power after that first 8 weeks I still got a lot faster on the bike. On the run, it's said you gain 3 seconds per mile for every pound you lose!(I think). But your right it's difficult, which is why I'm not sure about it yet. I'd be happy if all my speed came from losing a few pounds right now. I'm to the point now people say I'm too skinny. So I guess that means I need to lose about 10 more pounds. But I'm having a real hard time losing anymore weight. I can count cals workout like crazy and still nothing! It's just a plateu I'll have to deal with right now.

The whole part of the weight loss thing that I don't understand is how I can decrease my caloric intake and train like crazy, but do not lose any weight.  It does not make sense to me, but that was my story last summer during training.  With that said, I would love to lose about 10 pounds right now.  Perhaps it may not be the greatest thing while training for some reasons, but I feel like it would greatly benefit my body to be running and biking without the excess baggage.  As you know, carting over 200 pounds for 30 miles is not always the easiest thingSmile

2011-04-03 7:25 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
First group ride of the year for me today. Had fun riding outside. The wind was brutal though. There were points we were riding at a 45 degree angle! Lol. I felt pretty strong though. I did a lot of the pulling for the group today and felt like I had to hold back so I wouldn't break away. hopefully, that's a good sign for this year!
2011-04-03 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3427895

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara

Sarah, Great job with the race.  I know you feel like a million bucks.

Michael,  We are in the same boat.  I train like crazy and never seem to lose weight.  I am thinking that I must be gaining in muscle what I am losing in fat   Or something like that.  I continue to look stronger and leaner but my scale won't go down. 

Hey group, I found a really cool thing here called NITE MOVES.  It is a weekly event for 18 weeks that includes a weekly 1K swim in the ocean as well as a 5k run.  I guess it is really relaxed and you can do either one or both.  Then afterwards there is a bbq with music and even a beer garden. I guess it brings in hundreds of people each week including many families.  I think I will do it even though it costs 250.00 for the session.  I will get 18 practices at swimming in the ocean with a group.  I guess they always start with a run start from the beach.  Doesn't that sound like perfect Triathlon practice?  If I get 18 practices at the swim before my next triathlon, then it shouldn't be much of a problem during the race.

2011-04-04 6:41 AM
in reply to: #3428023

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-03 9:37 PM

Michael,  We are in the same boat.  I train like crazy and never seem to lose weight.  I am thinking that I must be gaining in muscle what I am losing in fat   Or something like that.  I continue to look stronger and leaner but my scale won't go down. 

Hey group, I found a really cool thing here called NITE MOVES.  It is a weekly event for 18 weeks that includes a weekly 1K swim in the ocean as well as a 5k run.  I guess it is really relaxed and you can do either one or both.  Then afterwards there is a bbq with music and even a beer garden. I guess it brings in hundreds of people each week including many families.  I think I will do it even though it costs 250.00 for the session.  I will get 18 practices at swimming in the ocean with a group.  I guess they always start with a run start from the beach.  Doesn't that sound like perfect Triathlon practice?  If I get 18 practices at the swim before my next triathlon, then it shouldn't be much of a problem during the race.

Wow, that sounds really great! Not only will you get great practice in but you will get to meet lots of people in your area with the same interests as you Smile I bet people will have really great tips. It sounds fun too---combining social life with training always makes it SO much easier to get out there and work out. I know that the Pittsburgh Triathlon Club does weekly Friday night open water swims once the weather gets nicer. That is definitely something I will be taking advantage of since I've never swam in open water before and am definitely scared!

2011-04-04 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-03 8:37 PM

Yeah Dale you suck!!! LOL, J/K!

You live somewhere that has soooooooooo much for triathlon it isn't funny. It's going to to be hard to decide what you want to spend money on. Just make sure your getting your money's worth. Try to hook up with the stronger swimmers and make sure somebody is helping you get faster. Otherwise, it's just as easy to find the local hot spots, make friends, and swim with the other peeps who just go down there to train.
2011-04-04 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3426600

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Meulen - 2011-04-02 1:35 PM

I've been plateaued for a while too, but I know that has more to do with my nutrition than anything else. When I stick to my plan I drop a few pounds, then I inevitably "cheat" and those 2 or 3 pounds come right back. I also get the "too skinny" comment from non athlete people and I just think the cultural norm is to be so overweight that most people don't understand what heathly looks like. At 5'4" and 161 I'm still considered "overweight" in BMI standards. Granted, I have quite a bit of muscle, but my body fat % is still somewhere around 18% and I'd like to be at 10%. The only time I've lost weight & increased in performance was during P90X. Even then I only dropped 3-5 lbs on the scale, but the change in my body fat % was huge and I obviously made gains in muscle & power. I think one of the keys is changing your routine every few months. After my Sprint I'm going back for another round of P90X!

2011-04-04 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
shrevemaintenance - 2011-04-03 8:37 PM

That sounds awesome, Dale! I guess the hard part is not over-indulging on the bbq & beer.
As for the training but not dropping on the scale. Yes ,some of it is going to be the difference in weight between fat & muscle. I've definitely noticed that too. Another thing to experiment with is your calorie intake. I think many of us make the mistake of cutting our calories too low and that can have the reverse effect. Last week I was feeling really tired & I increased my daily calories by 100 and I'm feeling lots better, have more energy in workouts (therefore training harder) and I'm gradually starting to drop on the scale too. Veeerrrrryyyyy slowly though. LOL

But it's probably mostly the muscle vs fat...

2011-04-04 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3427458

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

sbux87 - 2011-04-03 11:56 AM I just had my first 'A' race of the season...a 10 mile race in DC! It was so fun....15,000 people were running and there was actually a lottery to get in. The energy was great and the course was pretty easy. There were only a few slight inclines and I powered through and passed people on them thanks to all the hill training coming from Pittsburgh. It was great running weather...about 40* at the start and sunny. It warmed up quick and I had to stop and take off my outer layer which cost me some time. I did what I always do and walked through water stations taking both gaterade and water and having a gel at mile 5. I felt good the majority of the race but like ALWAYS during miles 7-8 I start thinking 'why in the world did I decide to do this?!?' But then I always remember as soon as I cross the finish line! I finished in 1:35 and ran 10.1 mi w an 9:25 average. I am very happy with this! Boy do I hurt though, I stretched and foam rolled but my quads are killing me! Now we have a 4.5 hr drive home and I plan on napping for most of it---don't worry, im not driving

Way to go!!! My first run race is coming up on April 17th. Just a 5K, but I'm looking forward to it. My miles will *not* be 9:25's.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56