BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-07-05 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
Hey folks-this is not tri related but might be fun:

What are your favorite current TV shows:
Modern Family
How I Met your Mother

Favorite All Time TV Shows:
Scrubs
MASH
?? I'm sure I am forgetting a bunch

Favorite Movies:
No particular order:
3:10 to Yuma
Shawshank Redemption
Secondhand Lions
........Need to give this some more thought

Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Movies
Animal House
Dodgeball
...Just about any Classic crude comedy

I know there are lots more that fit but these are off the top of my head.  Obviously, I am not a very "deep" person!

Randy

2011-07-05 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3581647

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

slornow - 2011-07-05 2:38 PM Hey folks-this is not tri related but might be fun:

Modern Family
How I Met your Mother

Scrubs
MASH

Favorite Movies:
No particular order:
Shawshank Redemption
Secondhand Lions

Animal House
Dodgeball

I know there are lots more that fit but these are off the top of my head.  Obviously, I am not a very "deep" person!

Randy

MASH is my all time favorite!!  I like How I met your Mother too.  I'll have to think about this for a bit.

Christy

2011-07-05 2:52 PM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

House, Modern Family, Closer, Chaos, In Plain Sight, Mentalist, Lie to Me, Whale Wars, Ice Road Trucker, Covert Affairs, White Collar, Hawthorne, and a few more

Mash, Lost, Star Trek, Star Trek Next Generation

Favorite Movies:
Shawshank Redemption
Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings series, Twilight series, Big Sci Fi fan

Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Movie
Hangover

2011-07-05 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore

slornow - 2011-07-05 3:38 PM Hey folks-this is not tri related but might be fun:

Modern Family
How I Met your Mother

Scrubs
MASH

Favorite Movies:
No particular order:
Shawshank Redemption
Secondhand Lions

Animal House
Dodgeball

Randy

Fun!

Current TV - I'm addicited to the HBO/Showtime series, pretty much all of them.  Really liked Game of Thrones, The Borgias, Shameless, Hung, Easbound and Down (obvi, based on my signature) for new ones, and Dexter, True Blood, Californication, Entourage, Weeds for longer running ones.  Though the longer they run, the less I like them (like all series they get way over the top it seems).  Also like Chuck, Tosh.O, family guy, Pawn Stars, Property Virgins, Archer, The Daily Show, The Voice.  Probably more I'm forgetting...gotta check the DVR to see what it's programmed to record.  They are all great to DVR and watch on the trainer.

All time - The simpsons, Seinfeld, Monk, Scrubs, probably more as well.

Movies - all time (ones that I've seen so many times, I never really decide to watch them, but if I'm channel surfing and it's on, I'll most likely watch the rest of it): Shawshank, Hunt for Red October, Blow, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Rudy (even though I HATE Notre Dame!), Office Space.

Guilty pleasure: All Mel Brooks movies, Anchorman, any Leslie Neilson movie (Naked Gun and Airplane could probably go under favorites too), Superbad/most movies with Seth Green, I Love you man/Role Models/almost anything with Paul Rudd.

2011-07-05 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

And I'm back from a nice mini vacation Now that I feel like a bloated salt induced cow... I think it's time to get back on track! Sad to say I missed my healthy cooking, and now know why we eat out only one time a week. Blah.

So You Think You Can Dance
Big Brother, starts Thursday, YAY!
Grey's Anatomy
Private Practice
NCIS
Law & Order SVU

Friends
Cosby Show
Two 1/2 Men - mostly watch the re-runs

Favorite Movies:
Pretty Woman
Marley & Me
I love classics... Anything with Audrey Hepburn (hence my daughters name... Audrey )
Also musicals... Grease, Sound of Music etc
Yep... I'm a girly girl, lol

I'm a Disney lover too... so glad I have a kid now to cover that up, LOL!
Sex and The City, I & II
I also like some thrillers/actions - Salt, Mr Brooks, Mr & Mrs Smith

2011-07-05 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

slornow - 2011-07-05 2:38 PM Hey folks-this is not tri related but might be fun:

Modern Family
How I Met your Mother

Scrubs
MASH

Favorite Movies:
No particular order:
Shawshank Redemption
Secondhand Lions

Animal House
Dodgeball

Randy

Modern Family
How I Met your Mother 

.... (ME TOOO!!!!

Also: Parks and Rec, The Office, 30 Rock, Parenthood, The Middle, Curb Your Enthusiasm, that one zombie TV show on AMC

LOST, Alias, SATC, Friends, Arrested Development

Favorite Movies:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Braveheart, Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, Wizard of Oz, Annie, ... I'm sure there are more. 

Legally Blonde  (one of those I could watch any given day and have a hard time turning off!)
Anything with Chris Farley.
Anything that makes me cry. My boyfriend thinks I have a problem because I'll be like "that movie made me cry so hard! It was fantastic!!" Who likes to cry? Apparently me. 

2011-07-05 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-07-05 7:07 PM
2011-07-05 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Here's what I've come up with

Current TV:
Friday Night Lights
True Blood
NCIS

All time TV:
MASH
Seinfeld
 I'm sure there are more

Movies-they are pretty much the same as my guilty pleasures:
Almost Famous
Outside Providence
All the Indiana Jones movies (not the last one)
All the old James Bond movies

Christy

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-07-05 7:00 PM
2011-07-05 7:52 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Lots of great picks out there.

TV shows....forgot the Simpsons.  I don't currently watch it that often but have several of the early seasons on DVD and they are hysterical.  Loved Seinfeld when it was on but just cant seem to bring myself to watch much of it now.

Lost. The jury is still out on that one for me.  I've been woring through it on the trainer and finished Season 4 today. 2 or 3 more seasons left.  Sometimes I cant wait to see what happens next and sometimes I'm saying "you have got to be kidding me."  Hopefully, I will have an "ah ha" moment in the end.

All time favorite movies...would have to add first Indiana Jones movie.  It was so different and just a great movie.  Braveheart might make the list as well.  Still working on this.  Band of Brothers was a mini series but it would be on my list. Maybe Saving Private Ryan as well.  Really like the 3 Bourne movies.  Oh and Good Will Hunting is definitely on my growing list of favorites. 

Secondhand Lions is not really popular but it is worth watching.  Michael Caine and Robert Duvall. A really neat story and can be watched with the kids.  Pick it up at the video store or Netflix you wont regret it.

Hangover might make my guilty pleasure list.  Will just have to wait until it has been on TV for awhile.  There are some movies that if I happen across it while channel surfing I will watch it regardless of how many times I have seen it.

Still want to think on these awhile.

NEW CATEGORY-favorite/scariest horror movie.  Not sure for me but The Shining was pretty freaky.  Exorcist scared the $#it out of me the first time I saw it and would have to give it #1 ranking.

Randy     
2011-07-06 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I am seriously having  a hard time getting back into training!  It is amazing how much I can get done around the house when I'm not training 2 hours a day.  I'm questioning if I really want to do another race this season.  Feels like a waste to only do two, but I lack motivation.  Any ideas?

Christy

2011-07-06 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3582499

User image

Master
South Alabama
cbrookhart - 2011-07-06 6:44 AM

I am seriously having  a hard time getting back into training!  It is amazing how much I can get done around the house when I'm not training 2 hours a day.  I'm questioning if I really want to do another race this season.  Feels like a waste to only do two, but I lack motivation.  Any ideas?

Christy

Christy-maybe look for a sprint or 2 over the remainder of the Summer.  Keeps you racing but not nearly the time commitment of training for the longer distances.  Another thought would be to pick one particular area and focus on improving over the rest of the Summer. Spend most of your time in that one area and back off training in the other two.  Good way to cut back on hours but try to improve something that may be a weakness.

Randy

2011-07-06 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

Just got done catching up one what has been going on over the last few days.

First off, got a good ride in on Saturday morning (around 40 miles), and felt really good. Had to drop off my bike at my LBS for my 30-day tune-up (a service they do with every bike purchase), was having problems with my rear-derailer not going into first gear, and also unresponsive shifting in the middle of the cassette...most likely chain stretch, etc.

Took it easy on Sunday as I was working like a mad man, and on my feet all day.

Knocked out a great strength/circuit session on Monday morning, really glad I decided to do it.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I wanted to run and bike, however I didn't have my bike since I dropped it off at my LBS. So instead I decided to do some "Brick circuits". 10min on the spin bike (trying to hit my HR of 130-140) keeping a high cadence, then straight on to the tread mill to do an <8:00/mile. I did that for 3 rounds. After the first round I would get on the bike to recover so I was really on the bike for 12 minutes for round 2 and 3, just wanted to keep moving the whole time. Anyway, it was a great hour long workout, and I felt like I accomplished something. Ended up going for a quick surf yesterday afternoon, and it felt great just to get in the ocean and catch a few waves.

Today, I surfed again first thing this AM, not too great by any means. But moved my shoulders around, and essentially did a swim workout with all the paddling I did.

I will chime in about my favorite TV shows later...

As far as the TdF goes, yeah I have never been so excited to watch it. I have watched the team time trial (stage 2) twice already.  I just can't get over how fast they are going (on disc wheels, in a steady cross-wind).

I have my final race in the three-event series on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing how much more time I can shave off. I knocked off 7:00 from my 1st race to my 2nd race. If I can knock another 6 off and get my time under 1:10:xx I will be very happy, and I feel like I can. Going to have to push it, and leave it all on the course though (assuming the swim is similar conditions.

2011-07-06 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
"Brick Circuits" - Nick, I'm curious why you didn't just do 30 min bike, 30 min run vs. splitting it up like that?
2011-07-06 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I went to the gym for a quick run on the treadmill.  Went to pick my children up from the gym daycare and was told my son (he will be 2 next month) was fighting with another boy!!!  He's not even 2.  He can't be fighting!  I'm hoping this was a one time thing and I won't have to find a new gym. 

On another note, I'm watching the TdF.  For those of you who have power meters, how many watts do you normally average?  Not sure if that is the right way to ask that.  I just noticed they showed some riders were averaging 248 watts.  I have nothing to compare it to.

Christy

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-07-06 7:38 PM
2011-07-07 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

Fun day yesterday.  7:30 AM flight to Columbus...meetings all day...7:35 PM flight home.  Now I'm putting off all the work I didn't get a chance to do yesterday .

Christy - I was in a bit of a funk like you.  The thing that helped me I think was just forcing myself to do it a few times.  Get back in a little rhythm and it will get easier.  I had a mini-funk again, as I couldn't do anything Tuesday or Wednesday like I wanted, but hopefully today and tomorrow will make up for it.  That, and deciding to race again (even just the local training race for me) really help.  Make your graphs pretty again and it will help you want to keep them that way.  Time to poop or get off the pot, as they say!

RE: power.   Randy and I both log most of the important power numbers (well, I do most of the time) in our blogs.  Read through ours and you can get a sense of what we do for power. 

2011-07-07 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3582825

User image

Master
Baltimore
Savage8778 - 2011-07-06 10:53 AM

Hey all,

Just got done catching up one what has been going on over the last few days.

First off, got a good ride in on Saturday morning (around 40 miles), and felt really good. Had to drop off my bike at my LBS for my 30-day tune-up (a service they do with every bike purchase), was having problems with my rear-derailer not going into first gear, and also unresponsive shifting in the middle of the cassette...most likely chain stretch, etc.

Took it easy on Sunday as I was working like a mad man, and on my feet all day.

Knocked out a great strength/circuit session on Monday morning, really glad I decided to do it.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I wanted to run and bike, however I didn't have my bike since I dropped it off at my LBS. So instead I decided to do some "Brick circuits". 10min on the spin bike (trying to hit my HR of 130-140) keeping a high cadence, then straight on to the tread mill to do an

Today, I surfed again first thing this AM, not too great by any means. But moved my shoulders around, and essentially did a swim workout with all the paddling I did.

I will chime in about my favorite TV shows later...

As far as the TdF goes, yeah I have never been so excited to watch it. I have watched the team time trial (stage 2) twice already.  I just can't get over how fast they are going (on disc wheels, in a steady cross-wind).

I have my final race in the three-event series on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing how much more time I can shave off. I knocked off 7:00 from my 1st race to my 2nd race. If I can knock another 6 off and get my time under 1:10:xx I will be very happy, and I feel like I can. Going to have to push it, and leave it all on the course though (assuming the swim is similar conditions.

Surfing sounds fun.  Good luck in the race this weeked!

2011-07-07 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

I actually heard about the Brick Circuits on another forum, but it really fascinated me. I come from a circuit/HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) background. Personally it helped me get through the workout much easier. Since I don't have my bike, I really can't stand sitting on the spin bike in the dark for 30 minutes. Breaking it down to 10 min segments I feel I can really push my effort for the 10 minutes, same with doing only one mile intervals. Just my opinion, which there are so many mindsets within 'our' community.

Once again, no workout for me. But I surfed for a solid 90 minutes this morning, and caught a ton of fun waves. Felt like I actually got a good workout in. I am happy! Really looking forwards to the race this weekend.

2011-07-07 4:02 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey Everyone!-made the drive to Chattanooga today.  Will do some family stuff for the next couple of days then race Sunday and drive home Monday.  Should be fun.

Who else is racing?  Nick-good luck! Nicole...are you racing this weekend?

Christy-on the watts/power question the critical number is watts per kg of rider weight.  Most of the guys in the Tour are pretty light, I'm guessing under 150lbs.  So, pushing 240 watts for a guy 150lbs is "harder" than for a 200lb guy.  Theoretically at least.  According to my last testing I should be able to maintain about 270 watts for an hour....frankly I think I would die if I did.  In my last Olympic race my normalized power over the distance was 243 watts (I weigh 165).  All I know is the guys in the Tour are unreal in the power they generate.  I really like it when they show the power numbers during the Tour as it is both depressing and inspirational.

Randy 
2011-07-07 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3584573

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

38 days until my next tri

I got back in the saddle today in spin. I'm having a hard time lately with sprints, maybe one of you can chime in on. The past 3 weeks or so when we do sprints, I just cannot seem to hang. Today I forced myself to keep going, and it took almost 15 minutes for my heartrate to come back down and for me to catch my breath. It literally feels like I smoked a pack a of cigarettes then jumped on the bike. Today was a little different, this time I felt dizzy, and felt close to falling off the bike.

Has anyone else experienced this? I think I'm eating enough, but maybe not enough protein or something? I drink plenty of water before during and after spin because it gets so darn hot in that room. I'm just looking for suggestions.

Tomorrow is Tri Training, I've been away for 2 weeks and really looking forward to getting back in.

Saturday I have an OWS clinic, and I'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to that! I'm hoping to get a couple extra lake swims in before the next race.

Sunday a couple of us are going on a short 45 min run.

I'm feeling pretty good about the 'training' for this next race. Although it's not structured, I feel like maybe I will improve on the bike and run

Hope everyone is doing well

2011-07-07 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3585346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-07-07 4:02 PM Hey Everyone!-made the drive to Chattanooga today.  Will do some family stuff for the next couple of days then race Sunday and drive home Monday.  Should be fun.

Who else is racing?  Nick-good luck! Nicole...are you racing this weekend?

Christy-on the watts/power question the critical number is watts per kg of rider weight.  Most of the guys in the Tour are pretty light, I'm guessing under 150lbs.  So, pushing 240 watts for a guy 150lbs is "harder" than for a 200lb guy.  Theoretically at least.  According to my last testing I should be able to maintain about 270 watts for an hour....frankly I think I would die if I did.  In my last Olympic race my normalized power over the distance was 243 watts (I weigh 165).  All I know is the guys in the Tour are unreal in the power they generate.  I really like it when they show the power numbers during the Tour as it is both depressing and inspirational.

Randy 

I find everything about the Tour depressing and inspirational.  I've been taping it (my husband makes fun of me for still saying 'taping' instead of dvr'ing..or whatever it is these days) and watching it after I put the kids to bed.  I'm counting the minutes till bed time Smile.

It's great you can take your family for race weekends.  I'm looking forward to when my kids are old enough to go away with us.  Right now I'm not sure they could deal with it.

Good luck Sunday.

2011-07-07 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3585363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-07-07 4:09 PM

I got back in the saddle today in spin. I'm having a hard time lately with sprints, maybe one of you can chime in on. The past 3 weeks or so when we do sprints, I just cannot seem to hang. Today I forced myself to keep going, and it took almost 15 minutes for my heartrate to come back down and for me to catch my breath. It literally feels like I smoked a pack a of cigarettes then jumped on the bike. Today was a little different, this time I felt dizzy, and felt close to falling off the bike.

Has anyone else experienced this? I think I'm eating enough, but maybe not enough protein or something? I drink plenty of water before during and after spin because it gets so darn hot in that room. I'm just looking for suggestions.

Tomorrow is Tri Training, I've been away for 2 weeks and really looking forward to getting back in.

Saturday I have an OWS clinic, and I'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to that! I'm hoping to get a couple extra lake swims in before the next race.

I'm feeling pretty good about the 'training' for this next race. Although it's not structured, I feel like maybe I will improve on the bike and run

Feeling that dizzy doesn't sound good.  Guys...stop reading.....going to talk about some girl stuff....sometimes a few days before I start my period I get really dizzy when I workout and my heart rate is really high.  Not sure if it's a hormone thing or what.  Other than that I would think it could be nutrition related.  Be careful.

It looks like you have a great plan for the next few days!

Christy

2011-07-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3584573

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Savage8778 - 2011-07-07 9:57 AM

I actually heard about the Brick Circuits on another forum, but it really fascinated me. I come from a circuit/HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) background. Personally it helped me get through the workout much easier. Since I don't have my bike, I really can't stand sitting on the spin bike in the dark for 30 minutes. Breaking it down to 10 min segments I feel I can really push my effort for the 10 minutes, same with doing only one mile intervals. Just my opinion, which there are so many mindsets within 'our' community.

Once again, no workout for me. But I surfed for a solid 90 minutes this morning, and caught a ton of fun waves. Felt like I actually got a good workout in. I am happy! Really looking forwards to the race this weekend.

Good luck this weekend!!  It's cool you get to do the same race and see how much you have improved.  Can't wait to read your race report.

Christy

2011-07-07 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3585390

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-07-07 4:19 PM
khharms - 2011-07-07 4:09 PM

Feeling that dizzy doesn't sound good.  Guys...stop reading.....going to talk about some girl stuff....sometimes a few days before I start my period I get really dizzy when I workout and my heart rate is really high.  Not sure if it's a hormone thing or what.  Other than that I would think it could be nutrition related.  Be careful.

It looks like you have a great plan for the next few days!

Christy

I thought it could be that, but that was last week's adventure (sorry guys, lol!) So it's not that, and I'm not pregnant (which honestly I thought could be the reason for my high heart rate) I think I'll try working on nutrition again and see if that helps. I don't really know how to approach a Dr with it.

2011-07-07 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3584246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-07-07 7:07 AM

Fun day yesterday.  7:30 AM flight to Columbus...meetings all day...7:35 PM flight home.  Now I'm putting off all the work I didn't get a chance to do yesterday .

Christy - I was in a bit of a funk like you.  The thing that helped me I think was just forcing myself to do it a few times.  Get back in a little rhythm and it will get easier.  I had a mini-funk again, as I couldn't do anything Tuesday or Wednesday like I wanted, but hopefully today and tomorrow will make up for it.  That, and deciding to race again (even just the local training race for me) really help.  Make your graphs pretty again and it will help you want to keep them that way.  Time to poop or get off the pot, as they say!

RE: power.   Randy and I both log most of the important power numbers (well, I do most of the time) in our blogs.  Read through ours and you can get a sense of what we do for power. 

I do have some sad looking graphs Embarassed.  I'm going to get back into it.  I'm doing a short brick with a friend Saturday.  She will make me get out.  Hopefully that will get me back.  I know if I get a couple of days it I'll be fine.

Sorry you had to spend the day in Ohio.  That can't ever be good.

Christy

2011-07-07 4:45 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Christy-yeah its fun to have the whole family here.  Chattanooga is kind of our "second home". Son will be a high school senior boarding student at the McCallie School here in Chattanooga and has been going to school there since freshman year-fortunately he was offered a full merit scholarship to the school and it has been a great experience for him.. About 2 months into his freshman year when we were convinced that he would be happy there we bought a little condo in Chattanooga to have as a "home base" when we visit.  So, we have spent a good bit of time up here over the last few years.  Hopefully, we will be able to get our money back out of the condo after he graduates.

Unfortunately, Gil is not able to do varsity athletics due to his scholarship.  Weird Tennessee high school rule. Sports Illustrated actually did an article about it a couple of years ago.  Will try to attach a link to the article.  Has not kept him from running and he is getting a great education

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1169181/index.htm

Randy

Edited by slornow 2011-07-07 4:50 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56