BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2012-01-19 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED
Yeah, you think those Alien zombie eyes are creepy...the driver popped his head in and said, "The dog and I are a two for one deal.  That's how I get my creepy old man status." this was followed by nervous laughter on my end. I kid you not. 

2012-01-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3999875

User image

Melon Presser

Asalzwed - 2012-01-20 3:29 AM Yeah, you think those Alien zombie eyes are creepy...the driver popped his head in and said, "The dog and I are a two for one deal.  That's how I get my creepy old man status." this was followed by nervous laughter on my end. I kid you not. 

cantstopraffing

Even before you wrote that, I was actually imagining someone like the tow truck driver in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

2012-01-19 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3999890

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-01-19 1:35 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-01-20 3:29 AM Yeah, you think those Alien zombie eyes are creepy...the driver popped his head in and said, "The dog and I are a two for one deal.  That's how I get my creepy old man status." this was followed by nervous laughter on my end. I kid you not. 

cantstopraffing

Even before you wrote that, I was actually imagining someone like the tow truck driver in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

Uhhh yeah, actually that visual is pretty spot on. By the way, I am always impressed by your extensive pop culture references you are able to make. 

ALSO "I was in fact thinking of you when I wrote "crazee smellee Manatee partee ... "  Don't get me wrong. I like smelly."

Exxxxcuuuuuse me? Are you calling me smelly? I mean, you are right, but...still...

2012-01-19 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3999912

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-01-20 3:42 AM
TriAya - 2012-01-19 1:35 PM

cantstopraffing

Uhhh yeah, actually that visual is pretty spot on. By the way, I am always impressed by your extensive pop culture references you are able to make. 

ALSO "I was in fact thinking of you when I wrote "crazee smellee Manatee partee ... "  Don't get me wrong. I like smelly."

Exxxxcuuuuuse me? Are you calling me smelly? I mean, you are right, but...still...

Hot hockey chicks, soccer chicks, rock climbing/camping chicks, long-course tri chicks, etc. that's actually a very cool kind of smelly.

I will confess, I like smelly guys, too. Stinky people usually have been active, and that means they're all glowy and vibrant with lots of blood rushing around.

2012-01-19 2:05 PM

User image

England
You two always put a smile on my face when go off on one. You would both make excellent eccentric english types with a suitable accent. You have an appropriate weirdness about you that is good to behold.
2012-01-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3999971

User image

Melon Presser

ukweeble - 2012-01-20 4:05 AM You two always put a smile on my face when go off on one. You would both make excellent eccentric english types with a suitable accent. You have an appropriate weirdness about you that is good to behold.

Excellent--we've been upgraded from inappropriate weirdness!

Well, dear Allen ... I feel the same way about you. Glad you had such a good, um experience at Boots don't you just love that you have gotten into a sport where we openly discuss nipple and crotch lubing?

I see Salty and I as the fit version of the ladies from Ab Fab ... we're like Abs & Fab.

2012-01-19 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3999971

User image

Seattle
ukweeble - 2012-01-19 2:05 PMYou two always put a smile on my face when go off on one. You would both make excellent eccentric english types with a suitable accent. You have an appropriate weirdness about you that is good to behold.
I had a short stint working with the UK team at work where I worked on my british accent. I can't get enough of the accent. My fav. word thus far Is ironmongery. Wtf? Who says that?Sorry had to edit my phones autocorrect

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-01-19 2:22 PM
2012-01-19 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3999980

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-01-19 2:11 PM

ukweeble - 2012-01-20 4:05 AM You two always put a smile on my face when go off on one. You would both make excellent eccentric english types with a suitable accent. You have an appropriate weirdness about you that is good to behold.

Excellent--we've been upgraded from inappropriate weirdness!

Well, dear Allen ... I feel the same way about you. Glad you had such a good, um experience at Boots don't you just love that you have gotten into a sport where we openly discuss nipple and crotch lubing?

I see Salty and I as the fit version of the ladies from Ab Fab ... we're like Abs & Fab.

Oooooooh, now you're talking! I really think you are onto something.

Heh...Allan, in some form, called us appropriate.

2012-01-19 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran

Oooohh, I love Ab Fab!
2012-01-20 1:39 AM

User image

England

Some of my best friends are ironmongers don't you know.

Ab Fab seems to have a bit of a following. I find it to be an aquired taste which i have, ahem, aquired also. The personalities do seem to 'fit' some of our more salubrious members of this Manatee clan.

That Nyquil stuff looks wicked, the nanny state government over here must have pulled it from the shelves cos i haven't seen it before.

And finally, i can't believe my luck that i have stumbled into a sport that gives me the legitamacy to shop for lube with my head held high and then discuss it's finer points with others of a similar frame of mind. What joy.

And another finally, My favourite word for you guys to say is 'squirrel'. They say it all the time on the disney channel that my daughter watches and it cracks me up. Go on, say it out loud, go on, go on, do it.

Edited by ukweeble 2012-01-20 1:48 AM
2012-01-20 7:13 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

I always enjoy a morning laugh when I check this thread in the morning...

Didn't make it to the gym as planned last night due to a gas leak that had a few blocks closed to traffic/people.  The lesson of the night was that some people just need to party...

Me: Ma'am there is a gas leak in the area 50 tiki torches are not a good idea

Partier:  Well we can smell the gas; But we are having a party!

Firefighter:  Are you trying to go out with a bang?

2012-01-20 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4000851

User image

Master
Orlando
ukweeble - 2012-01-20 1:39 AM

Some of my best friends are ironmongers don't you know.

Ab Fab seems to have a bit of a following. I find it to be an aquired taste which i have, ahem, aquired also. The personalities do seem to 'fit' some of our more salubrious members of this Manatee clan.

That Nyquil stuff looks wicked, the nanny state government over here must have pulled it from the shelves cos i haven't seen it before.

And finally, i can't believe my luck that i have stumbled into a sport that gives me the legitamacy to shop for lube with my head held high and then discuss it's finer points with others of a similar frame of mind. What joy.

And another finally, My favourite word for you guys to say is 'squirrel'. They say it all the time on the disney channel that my daughter watches and it cracks me up. Go on, say it out loud, go on, go on, do it.

I've never had Nyquil either - guess I've missed out on a lot of fun.  I haven't had a cold in 8 yrs or so (now i've jinxed myself) and hope to continue that streak, so I may never get to experience the joys of Nyquil.

I never realized that squirrel was such a funny word.  Although, every time my dog goes out he and the squirrels have a little game of chicken with the squirrels holding their ground until the dog is up to full speed and just a few feet away before they run for the trees.  I think that is funny.

I got a 5 mile run in last night and a 45 minute swim in this morning.  Hoping to get a 13-16 mile run in tomorrow and hoping at some point my motivation returns and it is not a fight with myself each day to get my workouts in!

Happy Friday manatees!

Ann-Marie

2012-01-20 1:01 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland

My daughter was a squirrel for her school play.  Cutest squirrel ever!!

My other daughter (11 yrs old) has a stuffed animal squirrel she calls Psycho Squirrel.  Her and her friends thinks it's hilarious.   Why?  I don't know.  Maybe the tweens know something we don't.

2012-01-20 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Ok. So.... we have squirrels, ab fabs, gas partiers, and san francisco for our Friday Manatee Party! Loving it!! Hope everyone has a great weekend-I can't wait to see what new and exciting adventures come about Laughing over the weekend! I have a pottery class starting on Saturday. I haven't been in about 6 months and I've missed my mud time. So, can't wait for that!! I have workouts to get in as well, but I am pretty sore from helping my son move all day yesterday. Hopefully, it won't be too painful. Take care all and good luck with all your endeavors!
2012-01-20 8:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

My first duathlon is tomorrow--so what do we get tonight? Heavy rain, thunder/lightning, 25+ mph wind...First off, I sleep terribly when it is windy...secondly, I am a wee bit worried about bike traction tomorrow---The forcast says that the really BAD stuff will be done by midnight, but there will be showers tomorrow (a 30% chance at race time.). I lucked out ALL of last year, so I guess I am due to race in icky weather, I just don't wanna.

Okay, whining is now done.

Kitty intros have gone swimmingly--they are no longer growling at one another, and have progressed to smelling one another...the 'kitten' is more comfy, and chirping/meowing less, so I am hoping for a calmer night tonight (at least more quiet). Also, the 'kitten' has seen the dog (our dog chases the cats, so they are separated by baby gate until doggy bedtime, when she is kenneled), and has a curiosity, which is tempted by a good dose of wariness, so I am happy with that outcome. As for the dog's reaction, she has not even paid attention to the 'kitten'--YAY!

2012-01-20 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Oh yeah, any suggested names for new cat??? He is orange-y/tan with darker orange spots (very 'wildcat' like!); he chirps, and has a high pitched mew. Also--its tradition here--cats get names starting with 'S' (such as Smoke and Solo)---this cat has been known as 'Tribble' (yes, as in Star Trek, thanks to his meows and loud purrs), but we need an S name--Foreign languages work well, I have a couple ideas, but nothing sound right to me yet....

Thanks!

2012-01-20 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4002643

User image

Seattle
kgore - 2012-01-20 8:41 PM

My first duathlon is tomorrow--so what do we get tonight? Heavy rain, thunder/lightning, 25+ mph wind...First off, I sleep terribly when it is windy...secondly, I am a wee bit worried about bike traction tomorrow---The forcast says that the really BAD stuff will be done by midnight, but there will be showers tomorrow (a 30% chance at race time.). I lucked out ALL of last year, so I guess I am due to race in icky weather, I just don't wanna.

Kitty intros have gone swimmingly--they are no longer growling at one another, and have progressed to smelling one another...the 'kitten' is more comfy, and chirping/meowing less, so I am hoping for a calmer night tonight (at least more quiet). Also, the 'kitten' has seen the dog (our dog chases the cats, so they are separated by baby gate until doggy bedtime, when she is kenneled), and has a curiosity, which is tempted by a good dose of wariness, so I am happy with that outcome. As for the dog's reaction, she has not even paid attention to the 'kitten'--YAY!

How exciting! You've got this! A little adversity never hurt anyone if you need to be a bit conservative go ahead. Most important, enjoy the event. Let us know how it goes!
2012-01-21 1:52 AM
in reply to: #4002740

User image

England
Asalzwed - 2012-01-21 4:26 AM

How exciting! You've got this! A little adversity never hurt anyone if you need to be a bit conservative go ahead. Most important, enjoy the event. Let us know how it goes!

Wow, duathlon today for you Kate. Good luck with the weather and hope you hit your top 100 finish. Whatever it ends up being, enjoy yourself. I look forward to the update.

2012-01-21 2:17 AM

User image

England

I hate to bring the conversation back to triathlon and training, but......... When i am training on the bike, should i be aiming to keep up a specific cadence all the time, changing gear as necessary in order to maintain my rhythm or should i sometimes keep in a higher gear, making my legs work harder. If it's constant cadence, what should i be aiming for?

2012-01-21 3:45 AM
in reply to: #4002643

User image

Master
Orlando

Too bad about the weather, but I bet in the end it will make the race even more fun!  Good luck and have fun.

Ann-Marie

2012-01-21 9:58 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Go Kate kick that courses butt!!

2012-01-21 10:07 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Been Procrastinating (yes it needs to be capitalized it has been pretty bad this week on my part) the start of my HIM training, it will be tuesday I swearLaughing, but I was trying to figure out a good goal time for it, I need a goal time to at least shoot for while training more so than just to finish otherwise I tend to slack off a bit.

Would sub 5:45 be unreasonable?

45 on swim, my Oly was just over 30 in september

a little under 3 on the bike

a little over 2 on the HM, I realize I did 2:12 on the half but with 3 more months of training I think I can at least repeat it at the end of S/B

According to last years times this would put me fairly solidly at MOP, thoughts of the wise Manatees?

2012-01-21 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4003066

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Tripopo - 2012-01-21 7:58 AM Go Kate kick that courses butt!!

X 2 -- Go KATE!!

2012-01-21 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4002808

User image

Master
Vista, CA
ukweeble - 2012-01-21 12:17 AM

I hate to bring the conversation back to triathlon and training, but......... When i am training on the bike, should i be aiming to keep up a specific cadence all the time, changing gear as necessary in order to maintain my rhythm or should i sometimes keep in a higher gear, making my legs work harder. If it's constant cadence, what should i be aiming for?

My thoughts on your question -- having you just started riding the bike or have you been riding a while? What is your first event and when? The first thing one wants to do is just get your T.I.T.S. and that's not what you think it is...get your mind ....ha, it's time in the saddle. YOu want to get comfortable on the bike and get used to "spinning" your legs/feet around in circles and not mashing the pedals. Some people recommend 90 rpm as a solid cadence. I find that I end up around 84ish when I'm spinning out on the road and try to keep that when possible. Now, when you're going up a hill, generally, you want to keep spinning but your cadence will probably drop.

There are specific drills to do, both on the road and on a trainer, for cadence as well as strength and there's conflicting opinion in the traithlon community about what is optimal. I had a friend last year who's coach wanted her at 90 rpm as much as possible and really spinning the legs (this was training for an IM), then another coach I heard from wanted more strength and didn't want her spinning at such a high rpm because of tiring her legs. So, many schools of thought.

As far as your question, I think because of where you are with training, it's just a good idea to learn to make nice smooth circles while (should I say whilst?) pedaling and really focus on form, with the aim of just to see what it feels like to be at 90, 80 and so on. I'm a believer in go with how you feel and if you can sustain 90 go for it. One thing you don't want to do is mash, which means just push your foot down and put undue tension on your knees. A good way to hurt the old knee area.

Hope that helps a bit.

2012-01-21 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Got a 15 mile run in this am and followed it up with a 2100yd swim.  I am tired and see a nap in my future!  On a fun note, I pick up my new tri bike tomorrow.  I will have to see if I can post a picture of it, so you all can admire it with me   Of course, this means that I will have to do at least 1 HIM this season.  Hopefully, looking at the bike and remembering how much I spent on it will motivate me to get on it otherwise the HIM will be a bit difficult!

Happy weekend all.

Ann-Marie

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69