BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-01-29 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4017531

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-29 7:51 PM

gator22 - 2012-01-29 4:32 PM Wow. Lots to catch up on here.  My big observation from the weekend was this : If you have body issues, go to an indoor water park and you will immediately feel better about how you look

Where's the like button???

x2!

2012-01-29 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4017595

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Wesley12 - 2012-01-29 8:34 PM

Looking foward to hearing how Tim's half went today.  I hope everything went well.

Carla - Everyone else has said it but June is a very long way to go.  You're going to be fine.  Just keep up your training.

And now a question about swimming.  Dj was talking about breathing every 3,5,7 and even 9 strokes.  Early in my swim I can sometimes go 5 without a breathe but that's about my limit.  Once I get in a rhythm, I'm breathing every other stroke.  Is there a drill or some trick to being able to make a breathe last longer or is it something that just comes with time.     

Good question.. and I bet that the USMS site & some of the tri sites have all kinds of comments about that...but probably just as important is making sure you're exhaling fully under water so that your not "hanging" on the rotation to both exhale and inhale while you're head's turned (makes for bad form & an inefficient stroke bc you can be more likely over-rotate if you're taking time to do both).... also good to practice breathing on alternate sides (esp if you anticipate OWS in bodies of water with currents)

...but that said, I don't take my own advice or follow conventional wisdom. I've always breathed every (other) stroke, right side only...too much stiffness in my neck to breathe to the left & maintain good form, and so breathing every time I pull to the right is just my natural rhythm & most efficient way for me to swim... I tend to breathe more infrequently during sprints, and will do drills increasing number of strokes/breath, up to 0, but that's still just my style, and it works for me.

2012-01-29 10:10 PM
in reply to: #4017434

User image

Regular
Denver

russrisher - 2012-01-29 5:40 PM On my run today, I met a guy who looked like he was working out(sweat pants and ipod), all while smoking.

I guess he was at least canceling it out, but i never expected to have to dodge second hand smoke on my run.

Yikes!  That's gross!!!  Similar situation happened to me a long time ago on one of the trails here in Colorado.  I thought I smelled hints of Cigar Smoke... and as I kept running I eventually caught up to a guy that was actually smoking a cigar!  Strange how smoke lingers that way. ~Carla

2012-01-29 10:13 PM

User image

Regular
Denver
Wesley12 - 2012-01-29 7:34 PM

Carla - Everyone else has said it but June is a very long way to go.  You're going to be fine.  Just keep up your training.   

Thanks Wesley... June feels nearer than my own breath at times! ~Carla

2012-01-29 10:22 PM
in reply to: #4016943

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-01-29 10:32 AM

I didnt want to go outside and play in the cold wind and snow covered roads, so I did 9 on the treadmill before heading to Sunday morning spin class!  It all felt pretty good for the most part.

Way to Get'er Done Ken!  I, personally, love running on the treadmill ESPECIALLY when it's cold, hot, raining, windy, dark, etc outside! I'm curious about how you "Mentally" approach 9 miles on the treadmill.  I usually do 9/1 min run/walk intervals.  That would have taken me 1 hour, 50 min... sometimes I break my runs up into hours.

Q.  What was your approach to 9 miles on the TM?

Ironically I ran outside today.  So I went from "Flat Zone 2" to "Hilly".  Covered 8.3 miles... mostly used the time to learn the nuances of the route... allow my body to understand gradient change and adjust to it.  While I wish I could have brought more "quality" to the run, I do think I'll have decent power and endurance soon to NAIL That Run and feel POWERFUL the whole way!

2012-01-30 3:55 AM
in reply to: #4017396

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-29 6:12 PM
kenj - 2012-01-29 8:32 AM

I didnt want to go outside and play in the cold wind and snow covered roads, so I did 9 on the treadmill before heading to Sunday morning spin class!  It all felt pretty good for the most part.

Whats everyone else doing today?

Richard, I hope the knee doesn't wind up being too serious this time.  Wise to rest it though!

OMG!!! I've fallen in love with Mountain Biking! Did my first Mountain Bike ride today...and I did 12+ miles.  The other folks were impressed because they all have only done 3 miles or less before attempting longer miles.   The motto for today was NO FEAR!  Sure there were some parts that I walked my bike due to lack of MTB hill climbing experience, but overall it was just so much fun. You learn bike handling very quickly! I'm gonna be so sore tomorrow, so if I'm very sore, I will either do easy swim or easy trainer ride.  

It's nice to have a bit of a change from just SBR.  I also go on hiking trips as well. I still treat it as training because you will be using different muscles for Mountain Bike and Hiking than just SBR. 

Good fun on the mountain bike!  I would think where you live there would be a lot of neat trails to ride on and some challenging courses too!

2012-01-30 3:55 AM
in reply to: #4017434

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

russrisher - 2012-01-29 6:40 PM On my run today, I met a guy who looked like he was working out(sweat pants and ipod), all while smoking.

I guess he was at least canceling it out, but i never expected to have to dodge second hand smoke on my run.

Thats strange!

2012-01-30 3:57 AM
in reply to: #4017704

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-29 9:34 PM
Wesley12 - 2012-01-29 5:34 PM

Looking foward to hearing how Tim's half went today.  I hope everything went well.

And now a question about swimming.  Dj was talking about breathing every 3,5,7 and even 9 strokes.  Early in my swim I can sometimes go 5 without a breathe but that's about my limit.  Once I get in a rhythm, I'm breathing every other stroke.  Is there a drill or some trick to being able to make a breathe last longer or is it something that just comes with time.     

I'm not an expert at swimming, but if you're breathing every stroke because you feel like you have to exhale...you're going too fast.    Same idea as for running, if you're breathing way too fast/panting/cannot talk - you're going too fast. I kind of think it's the same way.   When you swim, you want to exhale slowly. Over time your stroke/speed will catch up. 

I agree with DJ, you may be going to hard for your current condition.  You may also need to smooth out your breathing and slow down your exhaling. 

We spend a fair amount of time at my weekly swim clinic and at the lessons I took practicing differant breathing patterns, so it is something that takes time and practice to get right.

Edited by kenj 2012-01-30 3:58 AM
2012-01-30 4:01 AM
in reply to: #4017871

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-29 11:22 PM
kenj - 2012-01-29 10:32 AM

Way to Get'er Done Ken!  I, personally, love running on the treadmill ESPECIALLY when it's cold, hot, raining, windy, dark, etc outside! I'm curious about how you "Mentally" approach 9 miles on the treadmill.  I usually do 9/1 min run/walk intervals.  That would have taken me 1 hour, 50 min... sometimes I break my runs up into hours.

Q.  What was your approach to 9 miles on the TM?

Ironically I ran outside today.  So I went from "Flat Zone 2" to "Hilly".  Covered 8.3 miles... mostly used the time to learn the nuances of the route... allow my body to understand gradient change and adjust to it.  While I wish I could have brought more "quality" to the run, I do think I'll have decent power and endurance soon to NAIL That Run and feel POWERFUL the whole way!

You know Carla, it seems to me, whether it is 4 miles or 9 miles on the treadmill, or 1 hour or 3 hours on the trainer the last 15 minutes are hard.  I guess it is just a matter of knowing when I go down to the basement what I have to do.  That said, I have a flat screen on the wall with all the cable channels plus dvd player with lots of movies.  Lately I have been catching up on missed TV shows using the prime time on demand channel. 

Nice job on the run!! Keep up the good work!

2012-01-30 5:37 AM
in reply to: #4017531

User image

Expert
Illinois
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-29 6:51 PM

gator22 - 2012-01-29 4:32 PM Wow. Lots to catch up on here.  My big observation from the weekend was this : If you have body issues, go to an indoor water park and you will immediately feel better about how you look

Where's the like button???

Haha for real. I feel like Miss America at those places.

2012-01-30 5:41 AM
in reply to: #4017396

User image

Expert
Illinois
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-29 5:12 PM

Richard, I hope the knee doesn't wind up being too serious this time.  Wise to rest it though!

OMG!!! I've fallen in love with Mountain Biking! Did my first Mountain Bike ride today...and I did 12+ miles.  The other folks were impressed because they all have only done 3 miles or less before attempting longer miles.   The motto for today was NO FEAR!  Sure there were some parts that I walked my bike due to lack of MTB hill climbing experience, but overall it was just so much fun. You learn bike handling very quickly! I'm gonna be so sore tomorrow, so if I'm very sore, I will either do easy swim or easy trainer ride.  

It's nice to have a bit of a change from just SBR.  I also go on hiking trips as well. I still treat it as training because you will be using different muscles for Mountain Bike and Hiking than just SBR. 

I love MTB and am envious of people such as yourself who live in dry climates --- our trails are waterlogged and will be until May or June, and then we have ticks and other critters to make things interesting. 

It sounds like you are a natural --- maybe there is an Xterra Tri in your future?

2012-01-30 5:43 AM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Expert
Illinois

Morning Fellow BTers ---

Today I am making a proclamation to get out of slug mode and WORK ON MY BIKE. Life has been hectic and I've been able to get my running in for the most part but can't seem to make myself get on that darned trainer.  

So please feel free to smack talk, taunt or hurl insults my way  --- I am going to aim for 4 bikes a week. I also got a glimpse at the bike course for my HIM in August and it would appear that some serious hill training is in order.

Thanks for your help!

2012-01-30 5:56 AM
in reply to: #4017998

User image

Regular
Denver
abake - 2012-01-30 5:43 AM

Morning Fellow BTers ---

Today I am making a proclamation to get out of slug mode and WORK ON MY BIKE. Life has been hectic and I've been able to get my running in for the most part but can't seem to make myself get on that darned trainer.  

So please feel free to smack talk, taunt or hurl insults my way  --- I am going to aim for 4 bikes a week. I also got a glimpse at the bike course for my HIM in August and it would appear that some serious hill training is in order.

Thanks for your help!

:::Inserting Smack Talk/Game:::: #IWBMATTKYT!!! I have an evening powerset on the bike... post up when done! First one to miss a session this week buys ::: insert item worth $25 to be purchased on the internet and mailed to the other:::!Game on!
2012-01-30 8:30 AM

User image

Regular

I'm going to try some of the drills sugested on here about doing a length on one breath, but I've read several places that people are getting a lot of benifit from breathing every other stroke.  The benifit is that you get oxygen to your muscles.

For me, and keep in mind, that I'm probably the worst swimmer in the group, breathing more often has worked a lot better for me.  I've slowed my stroke down to the point that I'm not panting or breathing too fast and having the quicker breath keeps me from ever getting to that point.

When I used to go 5 or even 3 strokes between breath, I got out of breath.  Again though, I'm not the one you want to be taking swim advice from.

Have  you ever read the Total Immersion forum?  Theres a whole board dedicated to breathing.

www.totalimmersion.net

2012-01-30 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4018006

User image

Expert
Illinois
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-30 5:56 AM
abake - 2012-01-30 5:43 AM

Morning Fellow BTers ---

Thanks for your help!

:::Inserting Smack Talk/Game:::: #IWBMATTKYT!!! I have an evening powerset on the bike... post up when done! First one to miss a session this week buys ::: insert item worth $25 to be purchased on the internet and mailed to the other:::!Game on!

Oh Game on!!  Thanks Carla, this is just the motivation I need!

2012-01-30 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4018213

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
russrisher - 2012-01-30 9:30 AM

I'm going to try some of the drills sugested on here about doing a length on one breath, but I've read several places that people are getting a lot of benifit from breathing every other stroke.  The benifit is that you get oxygen to your muscles.

For me, and keep in mind, that I'm probably the worst swimmer in the group, breathing more often has worked a lot better for me.  I've slowed my stroke down to the point that I'm not panting or breathing too fast and having the quicker breath keeps me from ever getting to that point.

When I used to go 5 or even 3 strokes between breath, I got out of breath.  Again though, I'm not the one you want to be taking swim advice from.

Have  you ever read the Total Immersion forum?  Theres a whole board dedicated to breathing.

www.totalimmersion.net

I have seen some people really do well using the TI programs.  I have read the book, but not taken any lessons from them.  My current swim coaches use some of the drills, but they aren't teaching me the TI method.  I think some drills are just basic for swimming regardless of the method. 

My homework this week had as part of the main set 5 X 200 drill.  2 of the 200's were breathing related, 1 was breat every 2 strokes, which I really struggle with as it takes me out of my rythm (she says that part of the point) then the next 200 was breath every 3rd stroke.  This forces the bilateral breathing which I am very comfortable with.  I find since I learned this I have better body rotation in the water.

I know there is an associated cost, but as someone that struggled trying to get better at swimming on my own for 5 years, the money I have spent on the lessons and the weekly clinic at the Y have been money well spent.

2012-01-30 9:28 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I have had the Insanity DVD's for a couple of years, I like the workouts but with my time spent out west I never really had a chance to do the workouts for the 60 days.  Although I am not going to be perfect now, I do have a couple of months that I will be home most of the time and the longest I will be away is for a long weekend.  So I figured I would add these to my training routine to see what the plyometrics do for me.  Today was day one and I survived mostly.

Now the downside to this was I did the workout before my prescribed bike session, which was 3 X 12' at 95 - 100% CP.  I made it through the first 2 hanging on by my fingernails, but failed to hold on for the 3rd one!  Hopefully it gets better with time.

2012-01-30 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Good morning to all.. Sorry for the late response. I finished the half mary in 2:03.. First time doing this course and it was very hilly  from mile 5 to mile 11.. My endurance was fine but my legs were killing me from the hills, something I was not ready for..It took all I had mentally to keep pushing to the end, needless to say I did not PR I was 12 minutes slower than that..I tried to push through the pain and get to under 2 hours but it just didn't happen.. Another race I can mark in the books, got home and my quads and hip flexors were killing me so I chilled the rest of the day and never got online..Although I was disappointed the positive note is I'm way ahead of the curve on my running than I was this time last year..I will post a race report later.. Hope you all have a great week of training!!!
2012-01-30 10:12 AM

New user
Walterboro

I really enjoy the insanity work-outs.  I've thought of adding them into my training but I don't know if I have the time.  Definately going to add the abs in starting Feb 1.  I'm running 4 days, biking 4 days and swimming 3.  I'm not sure if adding Shaun T to the regiment would give me time for recovery.  I'll have to try it out and see how it works.  I'm going to do whatever it takes to have a good day at IMFL.  (Only 278 days away)

Another question about my swim work-outs.  I go to my masters on Tues and Wed and the Y by myself on Sunday afternoons.  Sunday afternoons I usually just try and swim freesytle without stopping whatever distance is on my schedule. (BT 1/2 ironman)  Do you think I should just swim the whole distance at once or break it down to 100s, 250s or something like that?  Schedule calls for distances between 1700 - 2650. 

2012-01-30 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4017957

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2012-01-30 3:55 AM
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-29 6:12 PM

Good fun on the mountain bike!  I would think where you live there would be a lot of neat trails to ride on and some challenging courses too!

LOVE MOUNTAIN BIKING!  Before I moved to AK I had found a women's mountain biking group to ride with and that was so much fun (and scary at times). I lived within minutes of some world class biking.  Need to find something similar here, unfortunately peoples idea of mountain biking here is very different. Ironically my mountain bike is waaaay nicer than my road bike.  Great workout too!  

2012-01-30 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4018442

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

shake-n-bake - 2012-01-30 10:04 AM Good morning to all.. Sorry for the late response. I finished the half mary in 2:03.. First time doing this course and it was very hilly  from mile 5 to mile 11.. My endurance was fine but my legs were killing me from the hills, something I was not ready for..It took all I had mentally to keep pushing to the end, needless to say I did not PR I was 12 minutes slower than that..I tried to push through the pain and get to under 2 hours but it just didn't happen.. Another race I can mark in the books, got home and my quads and hip flexors were killing me so I chilled the rest of the day and never got online..Although I was disappointed the positive note is I'm way ahead of the curve on my running than I was this time last year..I will post a race report later.. Hope you all have a great week of training!!!

Great job Tim - hills definately will slow you down! You should be completely psyched to be on course (ahead) for a great season! Look forward to reading the post write up.

2012-01-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4018462

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Wesley12 - 2012-01-30 10:12 AM

I really enjoy the insanity work-outs.  I've thought of adding them into my training but I don't know if I have the time.  Definately going to add the abs in starting Feb 1.  I'm running 4 days, biking 4 days and swimming 3.  I'm not sure if adding Shaun T to the regiment would give me time for recovery.  I'll have to try it out and see how it works.  I'm going to do whatever it takes to have a good day at IMFL.  (Only 278 days away)

Another question about my swim work-outs.  I go to my masters on Tues and Wed and the Y by myself on Sunday afternoons.  Sunday afternoons I usually just try and swim freesytle without stopping whatever distance is on my schedule. (BT 1/2 ironman)  Do you think I should just swim the whole distance at once or break it down to 100s, 250s or something like that?  Schedule calls for distances between 1700 - 2650. 

If it was me - I would break it up to get a more quality (and less boring) workout in. I break my swims into 2 categories 1) short interval work which entails lots of50's and100's. You can either do sprints with a longer rest in between or very little rest and try and nail down a consistent speed that will leave you enough energy to finish the set (barely). and 2) endurance which can entail any type of longer distance swimming.  I really enjoy 200's and 500's. Also can do ladders where you start with 100 and increase by some distance each time. These longer sets will help you nail down a consistant speed that pushes you but not crushes you that you can take with you to your race. If you get bored throw in some different strokes, pull bouy or kick board. Look at my logs for some different ideas of swim workouts (I have been getting a few of them in lately). www.swimplan.com also has some good workout ideas.

If you haven't done it yet you should consider doing a time trial - the distance would optimally be a1000 yards, but can also be less.  you can then calculate you T-pace which you can use during your workouts as a target pace. I think there is some info on how to do it if you search t-pace on this site. I haven't done one since last March and I really need to get my a$$ in gear and do another.

2012-01-30 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

I just wish I could afford the full suspension MTB that I rented...so comfortable, but way too slow on the road. So much fun! I only have a couple bruises (they're from brushing the pedals...those things are damn sharp/hard!), only slight shoulder soreness. I'm surprised. :-)  I'm looking forward for my next one.   I'm thinking about getting a hardtail, but I'm not sure if I'll like without the back suspension...I was spoiled the first ride. :-D

Anyhoo, my friend did the video, I'm at the beginning signing "No Fear". 

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQVo35YvU2M

Edited by CyborgQueen 2012-01-30 2:33 PM
2012-01-30 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4019046

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

That is a neat video DJ.  Thanks for sharing that! 

I have been tossing around ideas with the low cost of helmet cams and portable recordes of finding a good way to put a video together documenting IM training for Florida this year.

2012-01-30 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4019264

User image

Master
Sin City
kenj - 2012-01-30 1:45 PM

That is a neat video DJ.  Thanks for sharing that! 

I have been tossing around ideas with the low cost of helmet cams and portable recordes of finding a good way to put a video together documenting IM training for Florida this year.

You should!! Do you ever look back at your Ironman training and said, "I wished I recorded that?"  Even if you did a terrible run, it'll make you tougher.  You can even record some of your long bike rides, just to kind of look back a little and show off your skillz.      I know I wish I could do that when I go on my rides since nearly all of my rides are around Red Rock Canyon, River Mountain Trail, and Lakeshore Loop (Silverman is part of that...very tough!!), it's pretty scenic. :-)  Or just get a cheap camera that's really easy/quick/light that you can take out and take snapshots of stuff you see during your training! I always get a kick out of those.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72