General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-03-25 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

Hey everyone! <p>

Did a 20 mile race this weekend, went pretty well (report HERE if you are interested).  I have some fueling stuff to figure out, but it went pretty well.<p>

MAN you guys are knocking out the training these past few weeks!!! GREAT work! You guys are scaring me! haha!  I don't plan an 18 hour week until like...May <p>

I have a water bottle issue I need to figure out - I used an aero bottle last time, but it was stolen (awesome) so I tried to get a new one, and they don't make the kind I had before (Podium Quest double chamber).  I ordered a Profile Designs double chamber (I like to have water + Infinit) and it doesn't fit in my aero set up.  Sigh.  Ill figure it out, but it seems that stuff is never straight forward! <p>

I am heading to Colorado for 8 days, so not much training will go on, maybe a bit of running. Then back at it!! <p>

Have a great day! <p>

Mandy

2013-03-25 4:40 PM

User image

Regular

Last week, I did this:

Week Totals

S:  
3608.92 Yd
47m 18s
B: 
98.57 Mi
5h 08m 53s
R:  
17.07 Mi
2h 19m 32s
Str:  
07m

This week, I shall sit and think and marvel at all of you who put up such huge numbers.  Wow.  Keep it up...as someone said somewhere, "Spring is here even if winter hasn't left."  It will be outdoor training time soon enough.

2013-03-25 7:31 PM

User image

New user
S:  
1.75 Mi
55m
B: 
70.49 Mi
4h 11m
R:  
22.2 Mi
3h 18m
Xfit:  
2h 45m

I finally got out on the road on my bike for the first time this year.  I was cold but it felt great.  Having acquired the trainer as a Christmas present I didn't realize how much more fun it was to be out on the road and the time went by so much faster. 

2013-03-25 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4673620

User image

New user

If I grab a water bottle from the course and fill the Profile Design, will I have a place to discard the empty water bottle? I anticipate traveling as much as a quarter of a mile by the time I have it filled. 

I've got a similar setup (with the older version of the aerodrink you had).  I didn't have any problem grabbing a bottle, sticking it in the aerodrink and giving a couple hard squeezes to empty it out before the end of the aid station.  I'd practice it out a few times in training, but I'd think you'd be fine filling it up at the aid stations.

2013-03-26 8:17 AM

User image

New user

So far training in the northeast for a mid summer race (IMLP) is a lot tougher than a fall race (IMFL) mentally.  All these early miles indoor + doing laps in the pool while you know it is freezing outside is just not much to look forward to.  Cannot wait for the longer day light to get out to swim / bike / run outside.

2013-03-26 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4673620

User image

Pro

BernardDogs - 2013-03-25 2:16 PM I've got a logistics question for those of you who have raced the course already. I'll be using a Profile Design Aero Bottle (this one) up front and two additional bottles behind the seat. Those behind the seat will have my Perpetuem and that up front will have water. I'll switch out the perpetuem (400 cal. each) via special needs, but will want to fill the aero bottle up front on the fly.

If I grab a water bottle from the course and fill the Profile Design, will I have a place to discard the empty water bottle? I anticipate traveling as much as a quarter of a mile by the time I have it filled. 

Thoughts? 

I have the same setup in the front, have not really thought about what to do regarding nutrition. You can dump water into the very quickly. I have one cage on the down tube, no rocket launcher. Honestly I kind of hate them after dodging so many bottles during races. Is it pretty much mandatory if I want to carry my own nutrition?

2013-03-26 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4674235

User image

Pro
Tracker09 - 2013-03-25 8:31 PM
S:  
1.75 Mi
55m
B: 
70.49 Mi
4h 11m
R:  
22.2 Mi
3h 18m
Xfit:  
2h 45m

I finally got out on the road on my bike for the first time this year.  I was cold but it felt great.  Having acquired the trainer as a Christmas present I didn't realize how much more fun it was to be out on the road and the time went by so much faster. 

I went out Sunday, too. 48 and sunny when I was getting dressed, and it got cold and drizzly FAST. Oh well, it still felt great to be outdoors. My power numbers seem so much higher when I'm not melting on the trainer. Nice to be banging up a hill and see 300+ watts, even for a minute. My heart would explode if I did that on the trainer.

2013-03-26 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

Mandy, is this your bottle?  I had never heard of it so googled it and this site came up with them for sale.

http://www.ceegees.com/product/?product_id=150

2013-03-26 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4675801

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
erincs - 2013-03-26 8:02 PM

Mandy, is this your bottle?  I had never heard of it so googled it and this site came up with them for sale.

http://www.ceegees.com/product/?product_id=150

Omg!! Yes! Thank you! I googled it and it always would come up as unavailable. Hoping to score this one!Thanks!Mandy
2013-03-27 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4674575

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-03-26 9:26 AM

BernardDogs - 2013-03-25 2:16 PM I've got a logistics question for those of you who have raced the course already. I'll be using a Profile Design Aero Bottle (this one) up front and two additional bottles behind the seat. Those behind the seat will have my Perpetuem and that up front will have water. I'll switch out the perpetuem (400 cal. each) via special needs, but will want to fill the aero bottle up front on the fly.

Thoughts? 

I have the same setup in the front, have not really thought about what to do regarding nutrition. You can dump water into the very quickly. I have one cage on the down tube, no rocket launcher. Honestly I kind of hate them after dodging so many bottles during races. Is it pretty much mandatory if I want to carry my own nutrition?

I don't know about mandatory ... I think it's just more about your personal preferences. I don't like the down-tube mostly for aesthetic reasons, but I also like the reach much better around back than I do down.

I use elastic tent string around my bottles to prevent the launch. I actually launched one on our course ride last summer, and have since fixed the matter. With the added elastic band, they stay very secure.

Training Update: 
I finally got back into a run groove. It had been over a week of just feeling a run funk. I had a brick scheduled for this morning and decided to throw a couple half-marathon paced miles into my 6 miler just to see where things sit. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it felt to stay sub 7. I've got a half in a few weeks and haven't decided yet how I'm going to approach it. I know a PR is out of the question, but today's paces encouraged me. 

2013-03-27 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4676111

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
BernardDogs - 2013-03-27 6:54 AM

Thoughts? 

I don't know about mandatory ... I think it's just more about your personal preferences. I don't like the down-tube mostly for aesthetic reasons, but I also like the reach much better around back than I do down.

I use elastic tent string around my bottles to prevent the launch. I actually launched one on our course ride last summer, and have since fixed the matter. With the added elastic band, they stay very secure.

How do you set that up?  Do you have it tied to the cage and then you loop it over top of the bottle?  Are you able to grab/replace that bottle on the fly even with the elastic?

I got a Delta XLab 300 (the rear mount specific to a Cervelo P2) for Christmas, and I'm worried about launching a bottle from it. 

2013-03-27 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4676111

User image

Pro
BernardDogs - 2013-03-27 7:54 AM

Thoughts? 

Training Update: 
I finally got back into a run groove. It had been over a week of just feeling a run funk. I had a brick scheduled for this morning and decided to throw a couple half-marathon paced miles into my 6 miler just to see where things sit. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it felt to stay sub 7. I've got a half in a few weeks and haven't decided yet how I'm going to approach it. I know a PR is out of the question, but today's paces encouraged me. 

Yeah I remember when your bottle popped out last summer. My current configuration is the PD bottle up front, one on the down tube, a DSW bento box, and a tube, CO2, and tire levers jammed under the seat. I'm used to reaching down on the road bike, so if I change up and get a launcher I want to do it soon and practice reaching behind.
2013-03-27 8:56 AM
in reply to: #4676156

User image

Pro
erincs - 2013-03-27 8:41 AM

Thoughts? 

How do you set that up?  Do you have it tied to the cage and then you loop it over top of the bottle?  Are you able to grab/replace that bottle on the fly even with the elastic?

I got a Delta XLab 300 (the rear mount specific to a Cervelo P2) for Christmas, and I'm worried about launching a bottle from it. 

P2 also. Do you like it?
2013-03-27 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4676156

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I'll look at the make of the bottle holder, but it came with a groove around the top of each bottle holder that initially held a rubber band type thingy that did no good at all. I took those off and tied the tent string tight enough to close the opening of the holder. Then the tent string expands to accept the bottle and holds it very tightly.

I'll take some pics if I can within a few days.

Brian ... I also have a DSW bento that I'll jam full of hammer gels. Two bottles of Perpetuem on the back, and water in the front aero carrier. I may rig up a pill box zip tied between the aero bars for Perpetuem solid tablets and possibly salt tabs. Something I can just flip open on the fly. Extra tube, CO2, and tire irons under the seat and between the bottle holders.

2013-03-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4676333

User image

New user
BernardDogs - 2013-03-27 9:29 AM

I'll look at the make of the bottle holder, but it came with a groove around the top of each bottle holder that initially held a rubber band type thingy that did no good at all. I took those off and tied the tent string tight enough to close the opening of the holder. Then the tent string expands to accept the bottle and holds it very tightly.

Brian ... I also have a DSW bento that I'll jam full of hammer gels. Two bottles of Perpetuem on the back, and water in the front aero carrier. I may rig up a pill box zip tied between the aero bars for Perpetuem solid tablets and possibly salt tabs. Something I can just flip open on the fly. Extra tube, CO2, and tire irons under the seat and between the bottle holders.

Please include some pictures.  I got a P2 for this race.  So far just a single bottle cage on the down tube.  I will probably go with the XLAB wing type behind the seat setup.  Just want to delay as long as possible the pain of shelling out almost a hundred bucks for water bottles holder.

My alternative would be to zip tie one cage to the back of the seat and one between the aero bars.  Then just tape the gel to the top tube and CO2 / spare tube under the seat.

The alternative is sounds more hard core and bad a$$ and fits my budget.

2013-03-28 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4676287

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-03-27 8:56 AM

P2 also. Do you like it?

I do.  I have only used it on the trainer so far, but I like where it sits and the ability to have another bottle on my bike for long rides.  My seat is completely forward, so other bottle options for behind the seat were limited.

2013-03-28 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4676550

User image

Pro
peterliu88 - 2013-03-27 12:04 PM

Please include some pictures.  I got a P2 for this race.  So far just a single bottle cage on the down tube.  I will probably go with the XLAB wing type behind the seat setup.  Just want to delay as long as possible the pain of shelling out almost a hundred bucks for water bottles holder.

My alternative would be to zip tie one cage to the back of the seat and one between the aero bars.  Then just tape the gel to the top tube and CO2 / spare tube under the seat.

I just looked, if you go all carbon (wing and gorilla cages) it's more like $200. I think not!

If I went with a single bottle behind the seat, I'm thinking of the following setup. I'd like opinions, please, since this is my first IM.

Water and electrolytes in the aero bottle up front. Filled off the course.

Down tube will be fuel, most likely Perpetuem. I will need two bottles (maybe?), so one will be in my special needs bag.

Rear bottle is water, pretty much for emergencies and if I miss an aid station or it's very hot.

Bento box will carry endurolyte fizz tabs to drop in the aero bottle as needed. Also some gel packs or a flask, just in case.

I've never used salt tablets, so no thoughts on that yet.

2013-03-28 2:00 PM
in reply to: #4677869

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-03-28 10:51 AM

I just looked, if you go all carbon (wing and gorilla cages) it's more like $200. I think not!

If I went with a single bottle behind the seat, I'm thinking of the following setup. I'd like opinions, please, since this is my first IM.

Down tube will be fuel, most likely Perpetuem. I will need two bottles (maybe?), so one will be in my special needs bag.

Rear bottle is water, pretty much for emergencies and if I miss an aid station or it's very hot.

Bento box will carry endurolyte fizz tabs to drop in the aero bottle as needed. Also some gel packs or a flask, just in case.

I have a cheap knock-off version of the x-wing on my bike, I use cheap cages on it and works well. I may try the elastic straps that may save me a bottle here or there.  I like having more places for bottles if needed, on a hot day when you could drop a bottle in the exchanged, I would rather not stop if I don't need to (nothing kills your time more than a stop). 

2013-03-29 7:23 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York

Aero speed fill bottle on the bars. I tried to keep an extra water bottle in my back jersey pocket...and thats were I stuffed the empty crushed bottle if I missed the trash zone.

Now my real top secret plan for this year is...the condom catheter Surprised

2013-03-29 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4678182

User image

Pro
nccgrap - 2013-03-28 3:00 PM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-03-28 10:51 AM

I have a cheap knock-off version of the x-wing on my bike, I use cheap cages on it and works well. I may try the elastic straps that may save me a bottle here or there.  I like having more places for bottles if needed, on a hot day when you could drop a bottle in the exchanged, I would rather not stop if I don't need to (nothing kills your time more than a stop). 

Where did you get it? The weather is finally getting nice, I'm tapering for the marathon, and I want to bike to keep sane. I also have a half coming up in May and want to start practicing fueling strategies.

2013-03-29 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4678958

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL

Where did you get it? The weather is finally getting nice, I'm tapering for the marathon, and I want to bike to keep sane. I also have a half coming up in May and want to start practicing fueling strategies.

I got it back in 2006 at Mission Bay multisports (they are now out of business), but I did a google search and found some other brands for as cheap as $16 sans cages.  If you are not super worried about weight it should not be a problem to find one cheap.  

2013-03-30 8:53 AM

Andover
Oh boy, my count time timer until cannon time on race day just broke 120 days last night. As of right now as I type this it is 119 days, 21 hours and 8 minutes until the cannon goes off. Yikes. Starting to feel a little pressure building. Should be an interesting 4 months. I can't wait though. Keep on training and stay healthy!
2013-03-30 8:53 AM

Andover
Oh boy, my count time timer until cannon time on race day just broke 120 days last night. As of right now as I type this it is 119 days, 21 hours and 8 minutes until the cannon goes off. Yikes. Starting to feel a little pressure building. Should be an interesting 4 months. I can't wait though. Keep on training and stay healthy!
2013-03-30 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

3 hour trainer ride followed by a 5 mile run this morning. I'm anxious to get outside on the bike ... that long on the trainer hurts.

This week's totals:
Swim: 3.2 hours
Bike: 4.75 hours
Run: 2.9 hours

Total:  10.85 hours

Let's include a training highlight for the week. I'd love to hear yours. Mine was an encouraging 4 x 500 set in the pool. I stayed very consistent with the times (8:29, 8:26, 8:24, 8:31). 

2013-03-30 12:59 PM

User image

New user
I just make it 14.25 miles of the way though a 14.3 mile run.  I tripped and fell right in front of my house and in front of my girlfriend who was running with and a bunch of cars.  A couple punctures in the fingers and hands but overall the only real injury was to my pride.  I'm blaming it on new running shoes.  I'm sure I'll do that a few more times before IMLP.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59