BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-20 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4586417

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
DirkP - 2013-01-19 9:11 PM

I thought I would take the time to provide my long ride information from today.� I hadn't ridden for 3 hours on the trainer over this winter cycle until today and I tried to break that in STUPID fashion.� I wanted to get some really difficult work done and push the envelope of pain and I feel confident I succeeded in spades.

For the last 15-20 minutes I thought I was going to have to quit the WO.� I was completely exhausted and unable to push all the way up to the targeted 95-100% MLSS (155-164 BPM).� My shortfall was only 1 BPM but it was short nonetheless.� I think my problem was lack of calories, which didn't really bother me much.� I knew I would be well out of normal glycogen stores after riding for so long but I wanted to attempt to teach my body to burn other sources of fuel as well.� (Besides I am trying to lose weight on Jonathan's weight loss plan.)� I took in about 150-170 calories from a granola bar and some dried fruit about 1.5 hours in, then took nothing else.� I used water and Powerade Zero for my hydration.

Here is my WO:

WU:
10' @ 65-75%
MS:
30' @ 80-85%
10' @ 90%
Alternating
3x30' @ 85--90%
3x10' @ 95-100%
CD:
10' @ 65-75%
well, I was going to complain about my 1:30 spin session on Saturday, but.... This made me tired just reading it. Great work getting the HR up at the end of such a long bike!

Edited by mambos 2013-01-20 8:10 AM

2013-01-20 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4586417

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2013-01-19 9:11 PM

I thought I would take the time to provide my long ride information from today.  I hadn't ridden for 3 hours on the trainer over this winter cycle until today and I tried to break that in STUPID fashion.  I wanted to get some really difficult work done and push the envelope of pain and I feel confident I succeeded in spades.

For the last 15-20 minutes I thought I was going to have to quit the WO.  I was completely exhausted and unable to push all the way up to the targeted 95-100% MLSS (155-164 BPM).  My shortfall was only 1 BPM but it was short nonetheless.  I think my problem was lack of calories, which didn't really bother me much.  I knew I would be well out of normal glycogen stores after riding for so long but I wanted to attempt to teach my body to burn other sources of fuel as well.  (Besides I am trying to lose weight on Jonathan's weight loss plan.)  I took in about 150-170 calories from a granola bar and some dried fruit about 1.5 hours in, then took nothing else.  I used water and Powerade Zero for my hydration.

Here is my WO:

WU:
10' @ 65-75%
MS:
30' @ 80-85%
10' @ 90%
Alternating
3x30' @ 85--90%
3x10' @ 95-100%
CD:
10' @ 65-75%

Nice work Dirk!  Teaching your body to run on fewer calories is important in my opinion.  There are times during long rides and during longer races when I mess up my nutrition and have to play catch up.  There is a period of time when I feel completely depleted of energy and don't want to continue.

I hope you got some nutrition in after your ride so your muscles will heal up!

On the home front, a friend of mine and I got approved to hike Mount Rainier with a guide group this summer.  We are going July 5th thru July 11th.  It's a pretty intense week, but I'm super excited about it.  I've wanted to start mountaineering for the longest time and this will prove to be a real test on the legs as well.  If anyone is interested in reading about it, check out IMG's website for the trip.

I'm about to get on the trainer for a couple hours myself.  Not really looking forward to it, but I just cleaned up my bike and it's nasty windy out there.  

2013-01-20 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4586479

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
pistuo - 2013-01-19 10:49 PM
bhargavs - 2013-01-19 8:37 PM
DirkP - 2013-01-19 9:13 PM

Hopefully this proves to be just what you said, a little tweak.  I have never heard of anyone rolling their pecs with a ball.  It sounds to me like you either overstretched it or cramped up badly.

Yes, I was totally hesitant trying this out and I figured this must have been something the trainers learnt at some workshop. And then I thought to myself - no one gets injured trying to stretch/roll out and of course here i am

Just so you dont feel like a dork- I tweaked a muscle lifting a small furniture dolly last week... 

Hahaha....had to laugh at this Will.  I did something very similar while running with the dog a couple days ago.  I was running along, watching her and looked up and did some sort of "matrix" move to avoid getting decapitated by a tree branch.  I pulled the right side of my neck out pretty bad.  It's a dangerous world out there!

2013-01-20 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
I just completed a pretty successful week on the training front, 95 miles total with 72 coming from the bike and 23 on the run. As usual the swim was missing but that was due to work requirements taking up my lunch time! With this in mind I wanted to get everyone's input on my training plan for the next few months. I think it's pretty solid but I'm concerned I may being going overboard to early! I have 2 main goals, or A races in 2013. The 1st being the Glass City Half Marathon at the end of April, the 2nd being the Rev3 HIM in September. This is what my weekly plan would look like now through the end of April.

Bike: Jorge plan, set for Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday.

Run: following 3-2-1 plan LR-Sunday, MR-Tuesday/Thursday, SR-Monday/Wednesday/Friday. My goal is to get as close to 50 mpw as possible but the math shows long runs of 17 towards the end and I may not have that much time, so I may settle for 40-45mpw!

Swim: Lunch time swims on Tuesday/Thursday which should be around 1500ish, Saturday at minimum 2500yd swim.

as you can see it is somewhat aggressive but I want a strong base going into the HIM plan. The way it's scheduled I would have 2 weeks "off" between the glass city Half and the start of the HIM plan.

any thoughts? I was thinking the long ride on Saturday would be the 1st to go, if it became too much. This plan is probably more than I did going Into last years HIM, which makes me wonder if I will dig myself into a hole!
2013-01-20 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4586660

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Thanks for the input on bike trainers. I ended up going with the Kurt Kinetic Trainer. It should be here by Friday. I got in what I would consider my first great workout on 2013 - 70 min bike, 35 min run. I did not cover the distances that I had hoped, but I felt great. I did not have any knee pain on the run. I mean zero! I have stretched it since the run and it still feel great. Ever feel like you are fast as the wind only to realize you pittered along at a 9:53 mile?I love hearing about you guys with the new puppies! I had a true companion - Siberian Husky named Giz for 12 years. He used to run with me every morning and would back country hike with me during the winter. He even rode in the gondola and on chairlifts; would follow me down ski trails too. The puppy days were a struggle, but once he was over a year old, he became a truly awesome running buddy. During the summer, I would take him to the beach and he would pull me on my skateboard while in a harness. I hope you guys have many great years with your pups.
2013-01-20 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4586640

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2013-01-20 9:00 AM

I hope you got some nutrition in after your ride so your muscles will heal up!

On the home front, a friend of mine and I got approved to hike Mount Rainier with a guide group this summer.  We are going July 5th thru July 11th.  It's a pretty intense week, but I'm super excited about it.  I've wanted to start mountaineering for the longest time and this will prove to be a real test on the legs as well.  If anyone is interested in reading about it, check out IMG's website for the trip.

I'm about to get on the trainer for a couple hours myself.  Not really looking forward to it, but I just cleaned up my bike and it's nasty windy out there.  

After all of my rides over 2 hours I get a protein shake with milk.  I have found that I recover 3 or times faster if I get some extra protein after certain types of WO's.  I do the same for long runs and after my last Sunday WO because I usually deplete my body pretty hard over the weekend and I need the extra recovery.

Climbing Mt Rainier sounds pretty interesting.  That would be something I could see myself doing at some point in my life (or something like it).

The wind has been pretty crazy for a couple of days here.  We were having gusts up to 45 MPH yesterday and last night.

2013-01-20 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

mambos - 2013-01-20 9:25 AM I just completed a pretty successful week on the training front, 95 miles total with 72 coming from the bike and 23 on the run. As usual the swim was missing but that was due to work requirements taking up my lunch time! With this in mind I wanted to get everyone's input on my training plan for the next few months. I think it's pretty solid but I'm concerned I may being going overboard to early! I have 2 main goals, or A races in 2013. The 1st being the Glass City Half Marathon at the end of April, the 2nd being the Rev3 HIM in September. This is what my weekly plan would look like now through the end of April. Bike: Jorge plan, set for Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. Run: following 3-2-1 plan LR-Sunday, MR-Tuesday/Thursday, SR-Monday/Wednesday/Friday. My goal is to get as close to 50 mpw as possible but the math shows long runs of 17 towards the end and I may not have that much time, so I may settle for 40-45mpw!Swim: Lunch time swims on Tuesday/Thursday which should be around 1500ish, Saturday at minimum 2500yd swim. as you can see it is somewhat aggressive but I want a strong base going into the HIM plan. The way it's scheduled I would have 2 weeks "off" between the glass city Half and the start of the HIM plan. any thoughts? I was thinking the long ride on Saturday would be the 1st to go, if it became too much. This plan is probably more than I did going Into last years HIM, which makes me wonder if I will dig myself into a hole!

Matt if you can manage to get that amount of training in I think that would be great. One thing I would not do is drop the long bike. I would try and keep that in there because I think a long bike will really help you in your preparation for your HIM. If I did anything I might drop the run on Friday to give yourself a break. The other thing you might want to consider is moving the long bike and long run as far apart as you can if possible. It will give you a little recovery in between. The other thing is maybe you keep your long bike to 2 hours or less depending on how you feel for now and if you need to take a break or have a day off you should have one light day in there where if you decided to take a break you are able to. Remember rest and recovery is training too. I'm sure the guys will give you some good advice here on this.

2013-01-20 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

mambos - 2013-01-20 9:25 AM  Bike: Jorge plan, set for Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. Run: following 3-2-1 plan LR-Sunday, MR-Tuesday/Thursday, SR-Monday/Wednesday/Friday. My goal is to get as close to 50 mpw as possible but the math shows long runs of 17 towards the end and I may not have that much time, so I may settle for 40-45mpw!Swim: Lunch time swims on Tuesday/Thursday which should be around 1500ish, Saturday at minimum 2500yd swim. as you can see it is somewhat aggressive but I want a strong base going into the HIM plan. The way it's scheduled I would have 2 weeks "off" between the glass city Half and the start of the HIM plan. any thoughts? I was thinking the long ride on Saturday would be the 1st to go, if it became too much. This plan is probably more than I did going Into last years HIM, which makes me wonder if I will dig myself into a hole!

The thing that sticks out to me is the time it will consume.  I think the plan is doable from training perspective but the time it will take is going to be quite consuming.

I think you can make it on 2 swims, 4 runs and 4 rides a week with no problem.  You would need to get your swims higher than 2500, maybe in the neighborhood of 3000+ for each swim if you have time.

Riding - I wouldn't ditch the long ride at all.  If you can keep it at 2 hours all the way through and allow Jorge to adapt a to your plan it will pay off big when you can get outside and begin your official HIM training.  Once you can get outside and ride try to get your long rides up to 60-65 miles if you have the time.  All of your other rides could be between 25-30 miles if you can swing it.

Running - I don't think there's any need to get up to 50 MPW at all.  None of your races are going to have you covering that much distance but having a few extra miles in the bank from long runs would likely serve you well in a HIM.  I targeted 15 miles for my long run during HIM training.

Sun- Long run

Mon- Ride

Tues- Short run and Med swim

Wed- ride

Thurs- Med swim and Med run

Fri- ride and Short run

Sat- Long ride and Long swim (3000+)

Again,  I know you are active with your family and this is going to crunch time considerably by taking the kind of time I have detailed, including mileage.  Make sure you talk to Sara about the time commitment you would need to get through the whole training cycle.  If you can get a good bike fit done too that might help you with the problems you had at the Buckeye Challenge.

BTW, I got the go ahead to go to Cedar Point again this year.  Another HIM for me!  I actually am trying to get into the Muncie 70.3 HIM too.  The finance committee is still out on that one but I am definitely going to do 2 HIM event this season.  I just won't do them 2 weeks apart like I did last season.

2013-01-20 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Bhargav and Will hope you guys are feeling better.

JoAnne thanks I am pretty sure I won't push myself to the marathon this year coming off the Ironman. I am thinking I would rather try to hit my goal time for NYC instead of just running it. Plus my wife is probably ready to kill me with the trips to Syracuse and Wisconsin already. Good job on getting your runs in and the new found motivation for doing that.

Jonathan that's great that you are going to take on Mt. Rainier this summer. Sounds like you'll be training for that as well. The scenery there must be pretty awesome, take lot's of pictures for the rest of us.

Jen glad to hear you got the trainer. You'll love it and hate it at the same time if that is possible. It will definitely help your riding in the long run and it is a very convienent to have that in your arsenal for training.

2013-01-20 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4586904

User image

Expert
MI

Okay, so I am *thinking* about heading to the pool tomorrow basically to splash around.  In my mind, the only thing I feel I can do is the "zipper drill" (thumb along the side of your body) as that's the only drill I know which I for sure will promote bent elbows.  I do believe it was the fist drill (which obviously I was doing wrong) was a major contributor to my elbow problem.  I am pretty certain I was doing it with a straight arm, and I have read the straight arm thing can lead to the golfer's elbow I have. 

Anyway, so I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for drills which promote the high elbow/bent elbow since I think in that position I wouldn't be irritating anything.  Honestly I am feeling like this swim tomorrow (if I do it) is going to be torturous if I can only do the zipper drill (if I am able to do it successfully without aggravation)!  Tongue out 

2013-01-20 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4586640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
jgerbodegrant - 2013-01-20 9:00 AM

. this looks amazing! Clicked on the link and the 1st thing you see is a bunch of guys hanging off an ice wall, then found a picture with tents all set up along a snow covered trail! Your going to have a blast! I definitely want to see the pictures from the trip.

2013-01-20 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4586899

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
DirkP - 2013-01-20 2:36 PM

mambos - 2013-01-20 9:25 AM  Bike: Jorge plan, set for Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. Run: following 3-2-1 plan LR-Sunday, MR-Tuesday/Thursday, SR-Monday/Wednesday/Friday. My goal is to get as close to 50 mpw as possible but the math shows long runs of 17 towards the end and I may not have that much time, so I may settle for 40-45mpw!Swim: Lunch time swims on Tuesday/Thursday which should be around 1500ish, Saturday at minimum 2500yd swim. as you can see it is somewhat aggressive but I want a strong base going into the HIM plan. The way it's scheduled I would have 2 weeks "off" between the glass city Half and the start of the HIM plan. any thoughts? I was thinking the long ride on Saturday would be the 1st to go, if it became too much. This plan is probably more than I did going Into last years HIM, which makes me wonder if I will dig myself into a hole!

The thing that sticks out to me is the time it will consume.  I think the plan is doable from training perspective but the time it will take is going to be quite consuming.

I think you can make it on 2 swims, 4 runs and 4 rides a week with no problem.  You would need to get your swims higher than 2500, maybe in the neighborhood of 3000+ for each swim if you have time.

Riding - I wouldn't ditch the long ride at all.  If you can keep it at 2 hours all the way through and allow Jorge to adapt a to your plan it will pay off big when you can get outside and begin your official HIM training.  Once you can get outside and ride try to get your long rides up to 60-65 miles if you have the time.  All of your other rides could be between 25-30 miles if you can swing it.

Running - I don't think there's any need to get up to 50 MPW at all.  None of your races are going to have you covering that much distance but having a few extra miles in the bank from long runs would likely serve you well in a HIM.  I targeted 15 miles for my long run during HIM training.

Sun- Long run

Mon- Ride

Tues- Short run and Med swim

Wed- ride

Thurs- Med swim and Med run

Fri- ride and Short run

Sat- Long ride and Long swim (3000+)

Again,  I know you are active with your family and this is going to crunch time considerably by taking the kind of time I have detailed, including mileage.  Make sure you talk to Sara about the time commitment you would need to get through the whole training cycle.  If you can get a good bike fit done too that might help you with the problems you had at the Buckeye Challenge.

BTW, I got the go ahead to go to Cedar Point again this year.  Another HIM for me!  I actually am trying to get into the Muncie 70.3 HIM too.  The finance committee is still out on that one but I am definitely going to do 2 HIM event this season.  I just won't do them 2 weeks apart like I did last season.

Dirk/Tony, thanks for the input. Looks like the long ride is not going anywhere! Time will be an issue but I found this past week that if I motivate myself in the morning I can get a solid 1:30 to 2 hrs of training in before anyone is really moving. With this schedule my wife is just getting out of the bathroom so the path from there is clear. This also leaves the evenings mostly clear, except for the short runs, but those are only 30m and not a big deal. Now I just need to adjust to a 4:50am wake up call! My thinking is that it is easier to put in heavy hours now compared to when summer hits and every one is going in 10 different directions.

Dirk, you mentioned the problems I experienced at Great Buckeye, I did some research on this and found that the problem could actually have been related to my wet-suit. There was a comment made that when people are not used to the flotation of the wetsuit it actually strains the lower back. This is also similar to people swimming in the ocean for the 1st time. So in short since my swim form was/is so bad, the wetsuit corrected this and in turn put me in a position I was not used to and created my back problems. Think of a V with my lower back being the bottom.

but with that in mind, I still plan on getting a bike fit next month. No harm in over preparing!
2013-01-20 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Seven weeks now in the books with Jorge's winter cycling program. I completed my 2 hour long ride this evening. I got started much later than I wanted to and I really did not want to do it but I knew I had to get this done especially after this past week. After taking a recovery week than getting sick and losing time and than trying to adjust with the puppy I have been very tired and stressed out this past week. I thought well this is going to be a lousy two hour ride. Well I couldn't have been more wrong.

It wound up being a very good ride for me. I was very tired like sleepy tired but I had no issues with this workout. I did this same workout the first two weeks of the program and labored badly. I was dead when I finished those two rides. Tonight it was not a problem at all. Not that it was easy it never is but I was so much more composed and didn't labor at all. No heavy breathing, no legs on fire, none of that stuff. I just busted through it and I knew when I finished I had a really good workout and I can see how far I have come in a very short time.

My conditioning on the bike has improved dramatically and I am not even half way through it yet. This is awesome! After the ride tonight I could see the difference in the way I felt during and after the workout. I wish I would have know better last season and started doing this then I'd be so much further along but I am very happy with the progress I am making and still 9 more weeks to go!

2013-01-21 4:03 AM
in reply to: #4587242

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Alright -

Monday morning and back to the grind. No holiday here, but the YMCA is cllsoed so no lunchtime swim. I am thinking about getting in a 4 mile run this afternoon.

Sam - Hope the splash in the pool goes well.

Tony- Glad to hear your bike session went well and that you are fully recovered from being sick.

Matt- I hear ya on the 4:50 a.m. wake up calls. I will be attempting to do this in the coming weeks as well.

Jonathan - Climbing Mt. Ranier sounds awesome. Have you dealt with altitude training?

2013-01-21 5:57 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Dirk, killer w/o on the bike!

Jen, glad you go the trainer and your knee is doing so good!

Matt, you have an excellent w/o plan and will do great on the HIM.

Tony, great biking and w/ all your training we are expecting a podium on your IM training.

Samantha, how was the elbow and swim session?

Well bad news for me, my legs are not cooporating.  My IT band and muscles are cramping, swollen and bruised.  I barely rode yesterday and ran just 1 mile.  I spent a LOT of time stretching and rolling my legs and last night they revolted, really cramped up to the point I could hardly walk.  I stretched and rolled at least 4 or 5 times.  It has been several days now of just running 1 mile per day.  I have the HM, Feb 3.  I don't know what to do.  If I try to train thru it, wife said I won't start and I said if I don't train I won't finish.  All I can do right now is go to the gym and that is NOT a good thing for me since I'm trying to break that addiction. 

Right now I'm as frustrated as a politician trying to tell the truth.

2013-01-21 6:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Karl, sorry to hear about the cramps and such! Sounds like it is going to take some rest to get back to normal if just stretching sends you backwards. Me personally I do not stretch much at all, maybe a few hamstrings stretches here and there but nothing much.

I just completed the 1st FTP test in the bike plan, and as earlier in the month it was rough! Probably a little more so today because I did not plan for it and definitely did not rest up for it. When I reached the 10 minute mark it was a struggle to maintain power and dropped off for awhile, by minute 6 I was able to get back up to where I had been. Big difference from the previous test was a slight drop in average power from 245 down to 239, the average cadence went up from 87 to 100! Lastly when I stepped off the bike I didn't feel like I was going to fall over! So the effort was similar but the stress on my legs was much less.

2013-01-21 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4587492

User image

Bronze member
KWDreamun - 2013-01-21 5:57 AM

Tony, great biking and w/ all your training we are expecting a podium on your IM training.

Well bad news for me, my legs are not cooporating.  My IT band and muscles are cramping, swollen and bruised.  I barely rode yesterday and ran just 1 mile.  I spent a LOT of time stretching and rolling my legs and last night they revolted, really cramped up to the point I could hardly walk.  I stretched and rolled at least 4 or 5 times.  It has been several days now of just running 1 mile per day.  I have the HM, Feb 3.  I don't know what to do.  If I try to train thru it, wife said I won't start and I said if I don't train I won't finish.  All I can do right now is go to the gym and that is NOT a good thing for me since I'm trying to break that addiction. 

Oh Karl, I hate to hear this. Swollen and bruised sounds bad. I would stop rolling if you are bruising. I'm a fan of baths - either an ice bath or a hot bath with epsom salts. Not sure if either of those might be useful for you now?

2013-01-21 7:38 AM

User image

Bronze member

Very cool hearing about the positive results from your bike tests Tony and Matt! I'm still plugging along but continue to have trouble with the tech gadgets. I get on thing figured out then another thing goes wrong.

Jonathan that hike sounds amazing! Very exciting.

Samantha how about the fingertip drill? I'm probably too late but just file this one, you drag your fingertips along the surface of the water keeping your elbows high. Hope you get some relief soon.

Jenn glad you found a trainer! Have a good run today .

2013-01-21 7:50 AM

User image

Bronze member

Several people have asked about the puppy, I wrote up a puppy report card and added some new pics in my training blog if you are REALLY bored . The short story is he has moved from "Crap what have I done" to "I think I have a new best friend" over the last week.

Here is a pic of the progress on the basement:

basement

My husband is almost finished laying the floor but he ran out yesterday. Now I have to get to work cleaning and organizing all of that stuff! And there is another whole room not shown in the pic where the treadmill, T.V. couches and bike trainer are.

I have a run on schedule for sometime today. Hope everyone has a Happy Monday!

2013-01-21 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4587558

User image

Expert
MI
trigal38 - 2013-01-21 8:38 AM

Samantha how about the fingertip drill? I'm probably too late but just file this one, you drag your fingertips along the surface of the water keeping your elbows high. Hope you get some relief soon.

Thanks Dina!  If I go it'll be tonight so I'll give it a try!

2013-01-21 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4587492

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Yikes. Ok, first off, stop stretching and rolling. You read that right. 1 mile per day is so much better than nothing! I'm tempted to say that will go 70% of the way toward keeping your accrued fitness. Swim!!!!!! Great for the legs. And cycle too, even if you are just turning the pedals, the movement will do wonders. Hang in there and don't panic.

2013-01-21 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4588047

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
JeffY - 2013-01-21 1:10 PM

Yikes. Ok, first off, stop stretching and rolling. You read that right. 1 mile per day is so much better than nothing! I'm tempted to say that will go 70% of the way toward keeping your accrued fitness. Swim!!!!!! Great for the legs. And cycle too, even if you are just turning the pedals, the movement will do wonders. Hang in there and don't panic.

x2 I have injured myself rolling and stretching before. When you stretch your body's reaction is to tighten up, and you can bruise yourself pretty bad if you roll too hard on a tight muscle. Also try and just calm down and relax, you'd be surprised how much being nervous and tense literally tenses up your muscles. Don't worry, you will get better and it will be ok.

2013-01-21 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Jen, "injuries" can be weird. Sometimes continuing to run does nothing, other times it screws you up. Since I can never tell, I keep running until I know I can't. In my past experience, the real injuries were just there suddenly after a run, with no warning during the run. So you did ok running. Run more often, the others are right that your runs are too seldom. Perhaps you start by adding 1 mile on the other 4 days...leaving the day after your long run as a non run day. Since you have your HM coming up, I will hesitantly suggest that you not otherwise spread out your miles evenly. Case in point: my heel pain. Thurs hurt so bad I cut my run down to 1 super slow mile. Heels then were maybe back to normal levels. Due to sickness, no workout at all Friday. No run on Saturday. Heels didn't feel much better...actually worse. Ran yesterday 9 miles on super rough trails and the heels hurt! Afterwards I could barely walk! But today, they feel really good! It's as if running keeps them stable, and not running makes them worse (in the short term). There just aren't too many hard and fast rules with injuries. So now that I've joined the legion of the sick, I need to do what I can to minimize my lost training. I try to train through illness, but just put in easy time. Friday I stayed home from work and didn't train primarily because I can't justify a workout if I didn't work. Saturday was just 90 minutes on the bike instead of 180. Sunday was my SLOW 9 miles off road. I was going to go further but changed plans. Today I feel so bad that I can't talk myself in to training.
2013-01-21 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Miscellany. I stopped at a sporting goods store this weekend. They were clearing out 2012 shoes. I was thinking of getting Nike Pegasus because they have a nice soft air sole. I also saw the air max, which I've never considered. Somehow I'd always thought of them as a gimmick shoe for non-runners. And at $180....please. But when I tried one on with a Pegasus on the other foot, there was a dramatic difference in cushion. They were over 40% off so I got them. Haven't run in them yet, but I am hopeful that they will be good. I like tons of cushion, and a generous heel lift is good for my situation.
2013-01-21 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4588137

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

JeffY - 2013-01-21 3:17 PM Jen, "injuries" can be weird. Sometimes continuing to run does nothing, other times it screws you up. Since I can never tell, I keep running until I know I can't. In my past experience, the real injuries were just there suddenly after a run, with no warning during the run. So you did ok running. Run more often, the others are right that your runs are too seldom. Perhaps you start by adding 1 mile on the other 4 days...leaving the day after your long run as a non run day. Since you have your HM coming up, I will hesitantly suggest that you not otherwise spread out your miles evenly. Case in point: my heel pain. Thurs hurt so bad I cut my run down to 1 super slow mile. Heels then were maybe back to normal levels. Due to sickness, no workout at all Friday. No run on Saturday. Heels didn't feel much better...actually worse. Ran yesterday 9 miles on super rough trails and the heels hurt! Afterwards I could barely walk! But today, they feel really good! It's as if running keeps them stable, and not running makes them worse (in the short term). There just aren't too many hard and fast rules with injuries. So now that I've joined the legion of the sick, I need to do what I can to minimize my lost training. I try to train through illness, but just put in easy time. Friday I stayed home from work and didn't train primarily because I can't justify a workout if I didn't work. Saturday was just 90 minutes on the bike instead of 180. Sunday was my SLOW 9 miles off road. I was going to go further but changed plans. Today I feel so bad that I can't talk myself in to training.

Jeff hope you are feeling better and I know how you feel. Last week really sucked for me training wise with not feeling good. Normally I would have just pushed through it as well but I just felt that bad I didn't even bother.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119