BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-05-04 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2127898

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-04 7:15 AM Tony:  Those times are good to go and 8/21 is great!  I might have missed this... did your wife race too? 

Roni:  Great job and I'm glad to see your comments on having fun.  Sometimes I forget that part. 12k is a cool distance too.

Beth:  88 miles...NICE! Houston to Austin MS was 1 day too this year.  The campground at the midpoint was about a foot underwater.

Rob:  I didn't realize you were heading to Cuba.  We are gonna need a race report for that!  I've sailed around it a few times but never stopped by to say hello.  I hope we open that place up again for travel.  From what I've seen and heard it's like you travel back in time when you go there..

John

We were there a couple of years ago. Havana is the time travel. We have pictures in the city and all you see are cars from the 50's and 60's. But an amazing little country. It truly is amazing to see the differences in say Mexico and Cuba.

2009-05-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Girl in my office ran a 3:24 marathon yesterday in Oregon. Frig' I wish I could run like that.
But, i just signed up for my 1st Olympic on June 20th. Week before my 36th birthday. That'll be my motivation!
2009-05-04 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2123184

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-01 9:35 AM

OH NO!!! BigReub   That came across all wrong.  I asked a coworker to read it and she smacked me in the back of the head and used a word other than "butt".  Sorry man!  Thanks for the xls!! 

No it didn't.  I just had to blow some **** at ya!
2009-05-04 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2128335

User image

Master
Small Town
TrevorC - 2009-05-04 11:24 AM
But, i just signed up for my 1st Olympic on June 20th. Week before my 36th birthday. That'll be my motivation!

Congrats!  That will be awesome.  I still can't bring myself to sign up for an Oly yet.
2009-05-04 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2128355

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
JHagerman - 2009-05-04 9:27 AM
TrevorC - 2009-05-04 11:24 AM

Congrats!  That will be awesome.  I still can't bring myself to sign up for an Oly yet.

You run a 5k in 20minutes, dude you can smoke an Oly!
2009-05-04 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2128383

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

So they posted pic's from my TT, lol at least I think I look fast, which is obviously more important than actually going fast.

2009-05-04 10:53 AM

User image

Great pics.  But dude, I still think you are wicked fast!
2009-05-04 10:54 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Tony aren't look 50% of it anyhow? Every picture of you I see in your Aero helmet, I think you have these big, choppy sideburns. Looks like a pretty sweet setup on that bike.
2009-05-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2128430

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-05-04 11:54 AM Tony aren't look 50% of it anyhow? Every picture of you I see in your Aero helmet, I think you have these big, choppy sideburns. Looks like a pretty sweet setup on that bike.

LOL that's what suzy said.  Also at that point that was as far up as I could get my head, visor up bad for aero but too much spray on the visor.  I really wanted to be off the bike at this point but I saw the photographer so I pushed it to get by him, then I slacked off...
2009-05-04 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
I'm back but ready to go right back to bed.  But not due to the race.  We got back in town last night at 10:30 from my son's baseball tourney (which he lost in the title game).  And then I had to finish a project that I had promised for this morning for my kids' prinicipal.

Anyhow,  13.1 miles - 2:18:17.

Thanks for everyone's input here - especially my recent AM nutrition question.  Ate PBJ at 4:30 and 5:45 and a banana at 6:50.  Then took gels when I felt hungry during the run.

In November I couldn't run a 1/2.  When I signed up 2:10 was my time goal.  My primary goal though was to run absolutely every last inch - which I did.  I never stopped for traffic, drink (drank while running), stretch, tinkle, nothing.  I was slow as a turd, but I never stopped.
This sport is so mental...the brain is an amazing tool.  Had I not overcome my brain early in December I could have never done this.  Actually, the 13.1 was relatively easy.  Physically I was able...and mentally I was in cruise control.

Enough of the sappy stuff...
The start was frustrating because walkers were all over the course so there was a lot of weaving.  The first 1.5 miles is a slow right hand bend and I stupidly stayed on the left side.  I then started paying attention to where the course was headed and shortened the course as much as possible.  Running on the speedway was brutally boring. 

So I went from nothing to 13.1 in 6 months.  My wife and I are already making plans for next years mini.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm not running this week - will be hitting the bike a few times.  Then I get on sprint training!

One side note, my garmin and two other garmins showed the course at 13.24 miles.  All three garmins - exactly the same.
2009-05-04 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2128484

User image

BigReub - 2009-05-04 12:10 PM I'm back but ready to go right back to bed.  But not due to the race.  We got back in town last night at 10:30 from my son's baseball tourney (which he lost in the title game).  And then I had to finish a project that I had promised for this morning for my kids' prinicipal.

Thanks for everyone's input here - especially my recent AM nutrition question.  Ate PBJ at 4:30 and 5:45 and a banana at 6:50.  Then took gels when I felt hungry during the run.

In November I couldn't run a 1/2.  When I signed up 2:10 was my time goal.  My primary goal though was to run absolutely every last inch - which I did.  I never stopped for traffic, drink (drank while running), stretch, tinkle, nothing.  I was slow as a turd, but I never stopped.
This sport is so mental...the brain is an amazing tool.  Had I not overcome my brain early in December I could have never done this.  Actually, the 13.1 was relatively easy.  Physically I was able...and mentally I was in cruise control.

The start was frustrating because walkers were all over the course so there was a lot of weaving.  The first 1.5 miles is a slow right hand bend and I stupidly stayed on the left side.  I then started paying attention to where the course was headed and shortened the course as much as possible.  Running on the speedway was brutally boring. 

So I went from nothing to 13.1 in 6 months.  My wife and I are already making plans for next years mini.

I'm not running this week - will be hitting the bike a few times.  Then I get on sprint training!

One side note, my garmin and two other garmins showed the course at 13.24 miles.  All three garmins - exactly the same.

WAY TO GO!  You are awesome.  Wow, look what you have done in 6 months.  How incredible....there is no stopping you!    And I totally agree with you, it is so mental. 

2009-05-04 11:18 AM

User image

Champion
BigReub - 2009-05-04 12:10 PM I'm back but ready to go right back to bed.  But not due to the race.  We got back in town last night at 10:30 from my son's baseball tourney (which he lost in the title game).  And then I had to finish a project that I had promised for this morning for my kids' prinicipal.

Awesome job, when are you signing up for a marathon?

Also where is everyones race reports, haven't seen any yet from this weekend?
2009-05-04 11:49 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Man, just when I finish reading everyone awesome weekend.... We added another page--- 49 (good lord!)... I had a nice weekend, and got in some descent workouts, but not like some of you!  Busy weekend for all! 

Jeremy- Great 5k- Friday night, and personally I am shocked you haven't signed up for an Oly!  I think you would REALLY like this distance!

John- I dig it!!! I beer drinkin' Gazelle!  Nicely done!

Tracy- You and I have talked alot, and frankly words can't express how proud I am of you! 

Linda- I am glad you practiced changing your tire like you would on the road!  Very smart.  Be sure that when you buy the CO2 you are buying the 16 grams (I think?) as opposed to the 12 grams... You can get a little more PSI out of those as well.

Beth- Suck about the weather, but that is mother nature for you!  Awesome job on the ride, and it was probably in everyone's best interest to cancel the second day!  It must have been pretty bad.  Those MS150  rides have a reputation to uphold, so it was probably hard for them to shut it down!

Tony- 2 things... Very impressive speed!  Way to go.  Are you taking in any calories in your bottle or was that straight water?  Reason I ask... If you felt like you were shutting down, does this mean you were running low on energy? 
                           You need  a speed suit... Look at the drag your jersey is creating!! !   Just playing.  Nice bike, nice pictures, and great race!

Roni/Matt--- Good ole' Bloomsday!  Nicely done!  You and the 30,000 other people getting it done!  Matt what a great experience for you and your sister...

Rob- CUBA!! WOW!  Take lots of pictures and have a great time! 

Reuben-- Awesome awesome job!  You are right the endurance sport is VERY mental!  You are can you mind way past your bodies ability!  Congrats to you and your accomplishment...

2009-05-04 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hey Tony--I am digging the new avatar.   Love the outfit!  You are FAST, but I agree warming up is key.  I bet you would have gotten your speed goal if you had done some time on the trainer first.  Now you  know!

Reuben--Totally awesome job.  I am glad the fueling worked and your "don't walk a step" strategy seemed to pay off.  Those long legs of yours have even more in them.  This fall, sub 2:10 will be no problem!

Rob--I guess they let Candanians travel to CUBA?

Roni-great job getting out there.  The key is having fun and then performance follows.  You are putting things in the right order.

Where the heck is Steve? and our biggest poster, Trevor?

Suzy

2009-05-04 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

I vote for Tony for the FASSSSSTTTEEST avatar!

2009-05-04 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Great stuff Reuben!  Congrats on the no-no to your son as well.  (His son threw his first no hitter this weekend folks!)
Huge weekend!

2009-05-04 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2128609

User image

Champion
LOL, yeah steve I bet the TT suit would have gotten me over 23...  I missed out on the clothing order and they didn't have any TT suits left over.

That bottle never left the cage.  I drank before I got on the bike, was dying because I was so uncomfortable on the bike.  I asked a question over on ST if a proper fit should take some time to get used to or should it click right away.

2009-05-04 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2128630

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-05-04 1:00 PM Great stuff Reuben!  Congrats on the no-no to your son as well.  (His son threw his first no hitter this weekend folks!)
Huge weekend!

Wow, first no hitter, that is awesome, how old is he?
2009-05-04 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2128636

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
dalessit - 2009-05-04 10:04 AM LOL, yeah steve I bet the TT suit would have gotten me over 23...  I missed out on the clothing order and they didn't have any TT suits left over.

That bottle never left the cage.  I drank before I got on the bike, was dying because I was so uncomfortable on the bike.  I asked a question over on ST if a proper fit should take some time to get used to or should it click right away.

Was the response yes!? I would have to imagine so.... It is a different setup totally than a road bike.  Even moving your seat up and down on any bike would change the way your legs worked?  That is my guess anywho....
2009-05-04 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
BigReub - 2009-05-04 11:10 AM I'm back but ready to go right back to bed.  But not due to the race.  We got back in town last night at 10:30 from my son's baseball tourney (which he lost in the title game).  And then I had to finish a project that I had promised for this morning for my kids' prinicipal.

Great Job.  I was right where you were at in NOV...Just starting.  I don't think my legs will hold up to 13 miles right now, but I am getting ready to make that happen.  Congrats again!
2009-05-04 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2128703

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-05-04 1:24 PM
dalessit - 2009-05-04 10:04 AM LOL, yeah steve I bet the TT suit would have gotten me over 23...  I missed out on the clothing order and they didn't have any TT suits left over.

Was the response yes!? I would have to imagine so.... It is a different setup totally than a road bike.  Even moving your seat up and down on any bike would change the way your legs worked?  That is my guess anywho....

Sorry, no that was just straight water.  Pretty sure I had taken enough calories in before the race to not need any on the bike since I wasn't running after.  Dunno looking at my picture vs. what I see on ST as proper fit they are pretty close + my watts looked good and probably could have gone a bit faster if I wasn't uncomfortable.

In my previous position on the bike I was obviously not as aero as I am in these pic's but I was more comfortable.  Wondering if it just takes some time in this position to get used to it.

2009-05-04 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Hey guys and gals, RR is up. 

Tony, regardless of speed, it sounds like you had a great experience.  Look at how much you learned.  I think having these disappointments and learning from them is totally what this sport is about. it would be boring it everyone could do it perfectly the first time like me Wink

Reuben - half marathon.  WAY TO GO!  I hear ya bro' on progress with running. I am right there with ya. First we conquer the distance, then work on the speed.

Steve - about time you got back slacker. I've had to wait a whole weekend to talk to you.  (see PMKiss

Funny but true story.  (Yes, I haven't completely unpacked from the race this weekend)....so my dog got into my tri bag and ate all the open and unopened GU's that were in my fuel box.  Not only are there stains on the floor, he ate my last supply of the Mint Chocolate GUs they only make at Chirstmas time!  Then the dog had the nerve to fart all night long because of it!   I should drag his butt out for a 6 mile run to make him earn all that fuel he ate!!!!!

Edited by tahrens 2009-05-04 12:48 PM
2009-05-04 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2128783

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2009-05-04 1:44 PM

Hey guys and gals, RR is up. 

Tony, regardless of speed, it sounds like you had a great experience.  Look at how much you learned.  I think having these disappointments and learning from them is totally what this sport is about. it would be boring it everyone could do it perfectly the first time like me Wink

Reuben - half marathon.  WAY TO GO!  I hear ya bro' on progress with running. I am right there with ya. First we conquer the distance, then work on the speed.

Steve - about time you got back slacker. I've had to wait a whole weekend to talk to you.  (see PMKiss

Funny but true story.  (Yes, I haven't completely unpacked from the race this weekend)....so my dog got into my tri bag and ate all the open and unopened GU's that were in my fuel box.  Not only are there stains on the floor, he ate my last supply of the Mint Chocolate GUs they only make at Chirstmas time!  Then the dog had the nerve to fart all night long because of it!   I should drag his butt out for a 6 mile run to make him earn all that fuel he ate!!!!!

Did they smell minty?
2009-05-04 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Tony, those pics look sweet!  I wish my TT pics turned out that good.  Did you order the Transformers Decal yet?  What color?
2009-05-04 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2128805

User image

Champion
JHagerman - 2009-05-04 1:52 PM Tony, those pics look sweet!  I wish my TT pics turned out that good.  Did you order the Transformers Decal yet?  What color?

Not yet, need to get around to it though.  LOL, the pic's were worth the trip.  Good to look at my position.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383