BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-13 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Toronto-ish
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

Well done Shake!!

What was the length of the race?

2011-06-13 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3544765

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
marvintpa - 2011-06-12 2:37 PM

I messed up. I'd wanted to get into a Woodstock race Saturday that was 500m/20k/4k, but the weather was forecast to be bad, so delayed to what I thought was the same race Sunday. It wasn't. Today's was 750m/30k/7k, all distances I've never done in a race. C'est la vie, this is how we learn, right?

Had three goals: finish without the use of a defibrilator, bike leg at avg. 30k/h, and not walk on the run. Didn't get the middle one (only managed 29.6), but I'll take two outta three. And being firs time at those distances ... they're now all PR's. Time was 2:22 with a decent swim, ride I was happy with and run that was all about pacing and learning (sure as hell wasn't about speed as I got centu-chicked -> chicked a hundred times). No idea what the splits were.

Just wanted to say a BIG thanks for all those with suggestions about my previous swim, you were bang on. MUCH better this time by just doing my own pace from stroke one.

Congrats on the race!  Only up from here!!

2011-06-13 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3544887

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

shake-n-bake - 2011-06-12 4:29 PM Hello guys...sorry for the delay just finally got to a computer..well all I know right now is I set a PR today not as low as I wanted but it is a PR..time was 2:41 I killed last years time which was 2:53...I had a great race on the bike and run,I felt like I had a good swim going but when exiting the water I was five minutes off pace...as soon as I get all details I will post a rr and let y'all know...Thanks for all the support and inspires...FYI my swim was five minutes slower than last year and I felt so much better this year go figure.

Great job on the PR! Look forward to the race report.

2011-06-13 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Nice weekend of races gang.  You rock.

I did 70 miles on the bike Saturday and 35 miles on the bike and 8 mile run on Sunday.  Today is an easy spin and back at it tomorrow.

2011-06-13 9:10 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-12 2:37 PM

I messed up. I'd wanted to get into a Woodstock race Saturday that was 500m/20k/4k, but the weather was forecast to be bad, so delayed to what I thought was the same race Sunday. It wasn't. Today's was 750m/30k/7k, all distances I've never done in a race. C'est la vie, this is how we learn, right?

Had three goals: finish without the use of a defibrilator, bike leg at avg. 30k/h, and not walk on the run. Didn't get the middle one (only managed 29.6), but I'll take two outta three. And being firs time at those distances ... they're now all PR's. Time was 2:22 with a decent swim, ride I was happy with and run that was all about pacing and learning (sure as hell wasn't about speed as I got centu-chicked -> chicked a hundred times). No idea what the splits were.

Just wanted to say a BIG thanks for all those with suggestions about my previous swim, you were bang on. MUCH better this time by just doing my own pace from stroke one.

Great job getting this race in and if missing the ride goal by only 4/10ths is the only place you missed, count that as a victory!  Congrats on tackling the new distance!

Edited by kenj 2011-06-13 9:12 AM
2011-06-13 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3544887

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-06-12 4:29 PM Hello guys...sorry for the delay just finally got to a computer..well all I know right now is I set a PR today not as low as I wanted but it is a PR..time was 2:41 I killed last years time which was 2:53...I had a great race on the bike and run,I felt like I had a good swim going but when exiting the water I was five minutes off pace...as soon as I get all details I will post a rr and let y'all know...Thanks for all the support and inspires...FYI my swim was five minutes slower than last year and I felt so much better this year go figure.

Great job Tim, look forward to the RR!

2011-06-13 9:20 AM

User image

Expert

Tom- Great race! Glad to hear the swim went better for you. I think it's a plus that you did the longer distance because it's always good to push ourselves just a little extra. Are you going to write a race report, because I would be very interested to hear more about it.

Tim- Congrats on the PR! You may have been 5 minutes off on the swim because of things like current, drafting or even the course being off. Feeling better coming out of the water is great because that makes the rest of your race faster.

My 10K went really well; my goal was to break 51 minutes, and I finished in 50:12 which is 1:25 better than my previous PR on this course. Of course now I want to break 50 minutes since I got so close. My wife had fun, too, and it was great to have her there. She walked the 5K in just under 45 minutes.

2011-06-13 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3545906

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
amschrod - 2011-06-13 10:20 AM

Tom- Great race! Glad to hear the swim went better for you. I think it's a plus that you did the longer distance because it's always good to push ourselves just a little extra. Are you going to write a race report, because I would be very interested to hear more about it.

Tim- Congrats on the PR! You may have been 5 minutes off on the swim because of things like current, drafting or even the course being off. Feeling better coming out of the water is great because that makes the rest of your race faster.

My 10K went really well; my goal was to break 51 minutes, and I finished in 50:12 which is 1:25 better than my previous PR on this course. Of course now I want to break 50 minutes since I got so close. My wife had fun, too, and it was great to have her there. She walked the 5K in just under 45 minutes.

Another PR for the group!  Way to go!

2011-06-13 12:36 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Congrats to all those that raced this past weekend! 

Sorry I have been out of touch.  A tree fell from our yard into the road taking out all the wires to our house.  We have been without electricity since some time Thursday (finally fixed today).  A bunch of stuff got fried including our cable modem.  Eek!  I am having Facebook withdrawls.  It has been tough - but I have been trying to squeeze in some runs.

2011-06-13 12:52 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland

Congrats to Ken, Tom, Tim, Kathleen and Anthony!

Well done on the races Smile

I'm back in training mode after 2 slow weeks.  Did a walk/jog of 3 miles this morning.  I hated it at the start but actually passed the same guy who was walking his dog 3 x, on the 3rd time, he encouraged me with a "looking good,"  that was pretty cool and just the boost I needed to finish strong.

Look forward to reading your rr's.

2011-06-13 4:11 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Interesting thread you started in tri talk on tri bike vs. road bike and the benefits to the legs for the run Tom.  I have learned some things from that! 

2011-06-13 5:18 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Yes, quite a can of accidental worms.

Good chance for me to learn more than a little in that one.

2011-06-14 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

This article brings up something I hadn't thought of.  Macca is considered heavier than most elite triathletes and of course, I'm 25 pounds heavier than he is.  But it points out he learned that he has to use more fluids and gels rather than solid food.  Now there is a concept.  Maybe that is why I find drinking nutrition under extreme exertion better than solid food...  Moral of the story, test your own nutritional program.  It is not one size fits all.

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2011/06/14/how-chris-mccormack-turned-weight-into-speed/

2011-06-14 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3543717

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

kenj - 2011-06-11 9:33 AM I am going to do a little bragging this morning!  Decided to do another local 5K this morning. Not sure since I was on the trainer when I decided and had a pretty heavy run week how I would do.  But I finally beat my previous best 5k by 47 seconds!  All this running is finally paying off!

Funny thing, I came in 29th overall and 6th in my AG!  Tough group of fast old guys!   SmileTongue out

My overall race strategy is to outlive them

2011-06-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3548169

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-06-14 10:45 AM

This article brings up something I hadn't thought of.  Macca is considered heavier than most elite triathletes and of course, I'm 25 pounds heavier than he is.  But it points out he learned that he has to use more fluids and gels rather than solid food.  Now there is a concept.  Maybe that is why I find drinking nutrition under extreme exertion better than solid food...  Moral of the story, test your own nutritional program.  It is not one size fits all.

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2011/06/14/how-chris-mccormack-turned-weight-into-speed/

I pick up that magazine from time to time if I am at a Barnes and Noble or Borders and they have it available.  I happened to catch it this monthl.  It is a good article.  I need to pick up his new book, there is a reveiw and discussion going on in tri talk thread and it sounds like it is a pretty good read!
2011-06-14 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I am so so on the book.  He spends p[age after page talking about how he mentally outwits his opponents, how he plants seeds of doubts.  My coach and I think he may be overestimating his powers of suggestion and persuasion.   I'm about mid-way...

2011-06-14 10:04 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Hows the training going this week folks?

I am still in the heart of my HIM training with 5 weeks left, but my marathon plan started this week as well.  So needless to say, it will be a challenge to get everything in. 
2011-06-14 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3548237

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

kenj - 2011-06-14 11:04 AM Hows the training going this week folks?

I am still in the heart of my HIM training with 5 weeks left, but my marathon plan started this week as well.  So needless to say, it will be a challenge to get everything in. 

Must be they're all out training and too busy to post!  Training's going very well for me.  I wanted to focus on the bike this month and I'm on pace to top 400 miles for June.  I have a fun 5k coming up Saturday and then my first tri of the year is 7/2.

2011-06-14 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Good article on the argument for indoor bike training.  I plan to get myself some Spinerval DVDs for the fall/winter training.

2011-06-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3548856

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-14 3:13 PM

Good article on the argument for indoor bike training.  I plan to get myself some Spinerval DVDs for the fall/winter training.

It is a good article. 
I have several of the spinerval dvd's.  I really like the 3 set, I think they are 30, 31 and 32.  I think Robin or Keri (where have they been?) mentioned that there are cheaper alternatives on line too. 

I know I like riding outside when the weather is nice, and when it comes to hill climbs, and the strength gained, nothing replaces the outside.  As mentioned, the outside is where you gain handling skills and confidence as well.  But as a far as increasing your cycling intensity, the trainer with a solid workout plan is as good as any interval ride outside in my opinion.  A lot of people put the bike up for the winter, but doing so is a lost oportunity to improve the bike on the trainer when you don't have the weather for regular outside rides.    
2011-06-14 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Hello all! I've not been in for a couple of days and will have to check out the article and thread mentioned above. Quick report on the Century this weekend. I was really very pleased with how it went. Since my longest ride prior to this was 67 miles I really had no idea what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. There were some rough miles but for the most it went good and I feel like even though we didn't win any races (finished with a 13.1 mph average) we did finish strong and that's about the best I could ask for.

Now for my current problem. I had been to the chiropractor Thursday before the race with a pain that felt like it was in my shoulder blade and radiated around to my chest. She said it was a rib that had moved and put back in place. With a day of icing things felt good on Saturday and although I worried a little about my ride Sunday I never had any pain...fast forward to this morning when I was curling my hair and boom it pops, I couldn't catch my breath and an the pain was pretty intense. Back to the chiro and yes it's worse then it was, she adjusted and put me on that electric thing and when I told her I had a tri this weekend she told me to come back tomorrow, and maybe Thursday....I'm not going to be a happy camper if I can't do this tri. Right now the pain is...well yea it's there... So that's 2 day no training...maybe tomorrow? I'm most worried about the bike because I think I have a habit of scrunching my shoulders forward, which is the problem. She said I really need to work on keeping my shoulders back...ok sorry about the rant...I know there is really nothing to do but wait and see how it goes...it's just this is the first time I've been faced with the possibility of not doing an event.

2011-06-14 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Great job on finishing the century ride..

Here is a link to my race report..

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=256657
2011-06-14 11:32 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

The Century was quite an experience!  It was certainly challenging and I often thought of the 112 mile IMAZ ride without all the stops but for the most part I thought it went well. The ride took us to places I have never seen before so that was great. My nutrition plan didn't work out so great. I did the two hour bottles of Infinit that Ken suggested but I didn't drink enough of it I don't think and then didn't drink the water I needed. I just wanted some solid food so started with pieces of Cliff bar and had a few animal crackers and some pretzels along the way. Cold water and pretzels were great at the 82 mile stop.  My back and shoulder were acting up pretty badly by the 82 mile stop and I spent some time lying in the grass trying to stretch things out. I haven't ridden much on my road bike this year so I am sure that was part of it. Overall it was a good day but I was ready to be done at the last aid station. Once we arrived at the finish, my Garmin was at 98.9 miles so I road around the parking lot to get the last mile in. I wasn't about to go all that way and not have 100 miles to show on it.

There are some pics of the day posted on my blog in anyone is interested. We had some great scenery.

Congrats to all the successes this past weekend!

Edited by Kath2163 2011-06-15 12:19 AM
2011-06-14 11:48 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Well done on the century!!

How did it compare to what you'd expected?

2011-06-15 12:18 AM
in reply to: #3549744

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Thanks!  I guess it was pretty much what I expected. I haven't done much climbing lately so I probably felt that a bit more then I would have in previous years. I had visions of not stopping at many of the aid stations but that wasn't meant to be. It really made me realize how much work I need to do on the bike before IMAZ. And the bike is my strengh.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72