BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-07-07 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3585399

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
khharms 

I thought it could be that, but that was last week's adventure (sorry guys, lol!) So it's not that, and I'm not pregnant (which honestly I thought could be the reason for my high heart rate) I think I'll try working on nutrition again and see if that helps. I don't really know how to approach a Dr with it.

Karla - Have you gained any weight? The reason I ask is that you say you are going to 'work on nutrition again.' Sometimes just a little bit of weight can make a big difference in how you perform, I've noticed over the years. What ever did you do about your outside workout/feeling dizzy issue? Maybe it's time to go to your doc for just a check up to make sure all your systems are working properly? 

[UPDATE:] I also sometimes get dizzy on the bike, in particular, if I am getting sick. I just re-read your post and it sounds like almost exactly what happened to me the last time I was battling a cold. Maybe you're a little ill right now?

Edited by nmladic 2011-07-07 5:16 PM

2011-07-07 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Did you guys see the article in Runners' World about heat training? (Get it here.) It had some good tips about hydration and staying cool in hot weather, which has been a big topic of discussion on here. Some of the more interesting suggestions were to eat a popsicle just before you run to keep your core cool, eat salty foods the night before a run to better retain fluids, and to stay super focused on hydration (which I definitely do not do) to prevent heatstroke. 

I found it pretty unrealistic for the magazine to suggest that if the temp is over 85 degrees and humidity is over 60% that runners should stay indoors. Humidity is ALWAYS over 60% in Chicago. Right now, for instance, it's 68 degrees (yeah!) with 81 percent humidity. When I did the 10-miler in May it was in the 50's but the humidity was so high that I was soaking wet at the end of the race and got the chills because I couldn't dry off. If I followed RW advice there, I would never run outside the entire year due to the cold in the winter and humidity in the summer!

2011-07-07 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3585444

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-07-07 4:45 PM Christy-yeah its fun to have the whole family here.  Chattanooga is kind of our "second home". Son will be a high school senior boarding student at the McCallie School here in Chattanooga and has been going to school there since freshman year-fortunately he was offered a full merit scholarship to the school and it has been a great experience for him.. About 2 months into his freshman year when we were convinced that he would be happy there we bought a little condo in Chattanooga to have as a "home base" when we visit.  So, we have spent a good bit of time up here over the last few years.  Hopefully, we will be able to get our money back out of the condo after he graduates.

Unfortunately, Gil is not able to do varsity athletics due to his scholarship.  Weird Tennessee high school rule. Sports Illustrated actually did an article about it a couple of years ago.  Will try to attach a link to the article.  Has not kept him from running and he is getting a great education

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1169181/index.htm

Randy

That is crazy.  I have so many things running through my head from reading that article.  Crazy only 2 states in the country feel it's necessary to do that.  I'm going to have to think about this some more and get back to you.

Christy

Forgot to congratulate you on having such a smart and athletic son!!  You must be so proud.  I love the Shawshank reference.

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-07-07 6:41 PM
2011-07-07 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3585346

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Who else is racing?  Nick-good luck! Nicole...are you racing this weekend?

Next weekend!

Gonna get in a OWS this weekend - my first time ever using a wetsuit. (I borrowed one from a colleague.) Trying to figure out if I will wear it for the race but I really don't think I'll need it. Need to get my bike looked at, buy some bungee shoelaces, and stock up on gels -- then I'll be ready for 7/16!  Excited about it, too

2011-07-07 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3585494

User image

Master
South Alabama
nmladic - 2011-07-07 5:14 PM

Did you guys see the article in Runners' World about heat training? (Get it here.) It had some good tips about hydration and staying cool in hot weather, which has been a big topic of discussion on here. Some of the more interesting suggestions were to eat a popsicle just before you run to keep your core cool, eat salty foods the night before a run to better retain fluids, and to stay super focused on hydration (which I definitely do not do) to prevent heatstroke. 

I found it pretty unrealistic for the magazine to suggest that if the temp is over 85 degrees and humidity is over 60% that runners should stay indoors. Humidity is ALWAYS over 60% in Chicago. Right now, for instance, it's 68 degrees (yeah!) with 81 percent humidity. When I did the 10-miler in May it was in the 50's but the humidity was so high that I was soaking wet at the end of the race and got the chills because I couldn't dry off. If I followed RW advice there, I would never run outside the entire year due to the cold in the winter and humidity in the summer!

Nicole-there are some good tips but temperature guidelines are a little unrealistic in many areas.  The other morning when I got up at 5:00am the temperature outside was 82 and the Weather Channel said the "feels like" temperature was 89.  From about May through September the heat and humidity are pretty oppressive on the Gulf Coast.  I think you can get acclimated over time but it never gets comfortable.  I try to be smart with hydration and exercise early when possible.

Last year at the end of a race they were handing out popsicles to anyone that wanted one.  It tasted amazing.  Of course I then moved on to the free cold beer....also amazing.  Beersicles may have been an option???

Randy
2011-07-07 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3585472

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
nmladic - 2011-07-07 5:01 PM
khharms 

I thought it could be that, but that was last week's adventure (sorry guys, lol!) So it's not that, and I'm not pregnant (which honestly I thought could be the reason for my high heart rate) I think I'll try working on nutrition again and see if that helps. I don't really know how to approach a Dr with it.

Karla - Have you gained any weight? The reason I ask is that you say you are going to 'work on nutrition again.' Sometimes just a little bit of weight can make a big difference in how you perform, I've noticed over the years. What ever did you do about your outside workout/feeling dizzy issue? Maybe it's time to go to your doc for just a check up to make sure all your systems are working properly? 

[UPDATE:] I also sometimes get dizzy on the bike, in particular, if I am getting sick. I just re-read your post and it sounds like almost exactly what happened to me the last time I was battling a cold. Maybe you're a little ill right now?

I say 'work on nutrition' loosely! I still have 15 lbs to lose, but I go through phases of being very strict on my diet to shed some lbs, and other times I back off and just watch my intake. But I'm really bad about not eating lunch right before spin, but I generally grab a Luna Bar on the way out. Today I actually did eat lunch before and did not grab the bar.

As far as the outside thing, I haven't done anything about it. I just make sure I have enough to drink and grab a snack to take a long just in case my sugar level gets a little low. I've been working on the outside thing a little more since my tri is in August, the hottest month of the year in Houston (which is hard to believe this year with over 1 month of 100+ degree temps everyday!)

I think you're right, a trip to my Dr would probably be wise. Sigh.

2011-07-07 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3585582

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

slornow - 2011-07-07 6:37 PM 

Beersicles may have been an option???

Randy

Now THERE'S an idea!!! 

2011-07-08 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3585895

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Went to Tri Training this morning. I skipped the swim, not for any reason in particular, I'm just trying to focus on the bike and run.

I felt OK this morning. I think 99% of my problem is that I'm exhausted, and I see no way to 'catch up' on sleep! It would have been nice for my husband to take over a night shift or two this week being that he is on vacation. (Insert eyeroll)

I have a bike question for ya'll. This is kind of a strange question, but here goes.

When I am in spin I really push myself to the max. When we do sprints, I manage to keep up, and hills suck, but are necessary for strength etc.

When I am on my bike, I feel like I pedal fast, but go no where.

I watch people at the park and they are riding so fast (my race pace was 16 mph to give you an idea :/ ) they also look like they are putting no effort in to it, while I am huffing and puffing!!

Is it a strength thing, a bike thing, or a Karla thing, lol?! I would love to be in the 19-20 mph range, but how do I get there? Keeping in mind I have a hybrid bike, and if that just isn't possible on that type of bike, I'm ok with that, for now.

2011-07-08 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3586090

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-07-08 7:37 AM

Went to Tri Training this morning. I skipped the swim, not for any reason in particular, I'm just trying to focus on the bike and run.

I felt OK this morning. I think 99% of my problem is that I'm exhausted, and I see no way to 'catch up' on sleep! It would have been nice for my husband to take over a night shift or two this week being that he is on vacation. (Insert eyeroll)

I have a bike question for ya'll. This is kind of a strange question, but here goes.

When I am in spin I really push myself to the max. When we do sprints, I manage to keep up, and hills suck, but are necessary for strength etc.

I watch people at the park and they are riding so fast (my race pace was 16 mph to give you an idea :/ ) they also look like they are putting no effort in to it, while I am huffing and puffing!!

Is it a strength thing, a bike thing, or a Karla thing, lol?! I would love to be in the 19-20 mph range, but how do I get there? Keeping in mind I have a hybrid bike, and if that just isn't possible on that type of bike, I'm ok with that, for now.

I wish I knew the answer to your bike question.  I have the same problem.  Randy suggested some workouts in an earlier post.  I'm going to try some of those.  I know I had the same problem with running for years.  I started doing more interval training/tempo runs and I got faster.  Not that I'm fast...but faster.  So it makes me think if I do the same thing on the bike, it could work.

Speaking of biking, my friend bailed on our brick this weekend.  I'm dissapointed.  Hope I can get my butt out there by myself.

Christy

2011-07-08 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3586090

User image

Master
South Alabama

Karla-when comparing your speed to others make sure it is "apples to apples".  You are riding a hybrid and your speed is solid.  A road bike has skinnier, smoother tires that are faster than those typically found on a hybrid.  So, all things being equal a road bike would likely go faster with the same effort than a hybrid.  Not saying you need a road bike just that the different equipment these "faster" people are using may be part of the reason for the difference.  If you have big knobby tread tires on your bike you would see some pretty good gains switching to a road tire.  Not a big $ investment but a pretty good return.

Now, with that said we can focus on the engine.  More time in the saddle=increased speed.  Intervals are a great way to increase speed.  There are 3 workouts posted each week on www.tripower.org under the "forums" section.  Each is about an hour long.  They are ideally suited for using a trainer but could give you some ideas about workouts for outside as well.  Essentially time, intensity and recovery for each interval.  Just some ideas.  But really just riding more with some periodic intervals will go a long way to helping bike endurance and speed.    

Randy  
2011-07-08 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
I heart bike interval training. Really. It makes the time go by a zillion times quicker on the trainer.

2011-07-08 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore

Just wrote this up in my blog...and update on my vertigo:

So...I'm pretty sure I know what's causing my vertigo while running: Superior Semicircular canal dehiscence (SSCD).  It showed up on my CT scan last week, and I learned about that last Friday from the new ENT I saw.  He referred me to a neurosurgeon who I saw today who confirmed it.  Basically, I have a hole in my skull and it is possible my brain is rubbing against my superior semicircular ear canal durring jostling activities (like running).  That causes crazy signals being sent to my brain from the canal (which controls balance) that cause my weird sensation during running and the crazy vertigo afterwards.  The fix is surgery - either through the skull, push the brain out of the way and fill the hole or a new technique (that the doctor last week didn't know about) which is to go in through the ear and block off that entire canal (so I lose the ability to use it).  I still have 2 more (and three on the right side) so impacts to my balance would be minor, but it is possible hearing loss and balance issues could come from it.  I did not know about the ear canal block and have been thinking the only fix for the past week would be a relatively risky (it affects the brain) where side effects (stroke, auditory/ambulatory/mental impairments) are a real possibility.  So it was risk that surgery or never run again.  It's been a fun week...

But the other surgery through the ear is safer and more effective (but you lose that one ear canal, so not without side effects of it's own).  Something I can wrap my head around getting done more. 

That being said, I have another MRI and more ear tests to do before anything is done.  Some of my symptoms don't match the classic SSCD symptoms (for instance, my hearing test showed high frequency hearing loss in my left ear, where low frequency loss is more common).  But a lot do match up very well.  Basically, they know I have the hole, but want to make sure it is actually what is causing my symptoms before recommending doing anything.  SO these other tests should rule anything else out, or give us something to look at before surgery.  The other option for SSCD is to do nothing...it won't kill me or hurt me...but I also won't recover until it is fixed.

Now I'm about to go enjoy some quality time with my trainer, because it's pouring out here.

2011-07-08 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3586471

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
slornow - 2011-07-08 10:16 AM

Karla-when comparing your speed to others make sure it is "apples to apples".  You are riding a hybrid and your speed is solid.  A road bike has skinnier, smoother tires that are faster than those typically found on a hybrid.  So, all things being equal a road bike would likely go faster with the same effort than a hybrid.  Not saying you need a road bike just that the different equipment these "faster" people are using may be part of the reason for the difference.  If you have big knobby tread tires on your bike you would see some pretty good gains switching to a road tire.  Not a big $ investment but a pretty good return.

Now, with that said we can focus on the engine.  More time in the saddle=increased speed.  Intervals are a great way to increase speed.  There are 3 workouts posted each week on www.tripower.org under the "forums" section.  Each is about an hour long.  They are ideally suited for using a trainer but could give you some ideas about workouts for outside as well.  Essentially time, intensity and recovery for each interval.  Just some ideas.  But really just riding more with some periodic intervals will go a long way to helping bike endurance and speed.    

Randy  

I actually have road tires on my bike, in fact, aside from changing the pedals, that was the first thing I did!

While my next bike is on my wish list, I'm looking at a trainer for Christmas. I have to space out my accessories, for instance, my bike rack is in the mail Super excited about not having to unload the carseat, and various other amenities in the back seat every time I go for a ride!

The bike is such a huge decision that I'm really waiting to make sure this is something I can continue with two kiddos. I hope. I also hope I don't have to wait several years!

2011-07-08 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3585494

User image

Master
Baltimore
nmladic - 2011-07-07 6:14 PM

Haha, yeah, I think have the country would have to stay indoors for the entire summer!  I'd take what they say about that with a grain of salt - probably some real CYA going on there.  Watch out on the salt intake too - from what I've read we already get plenty of salt from our regular diets and endurance athletes often supplement it unnecessarily.  But the old myth that sodium/electrolyte depletion causes cramps lives on!

2011-07-08 4:04 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Joe-good to have some answers as to the cause of the problem.  Sounds like some pretty difficult options on the possible fix. Hope you can get it resolved soon.

Randy
2011-07-08 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3585895

User image

Master
Baltimore
nmladic - 2011-07-07 11:39 PM

slornow - 2011-07-07 6:37 PM 

Beersicles may have been an option???

Randy

Now THERE'S an idea!!! 

I feel like I'm back at my fraternity meeting hearing that suggestion!

2011-07-08 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3587234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-07-08 3:51 PM

So...I'm pretty sure I know what's causing my vertigo while running: Superior Semicircular canal dehiscence (SSCD).  It showed up on my CT scan last week, and I learned about that last Friday from the new ENT I saw.  He referred me to a neurosurgeon who I saw today who confirmed it.  Basically, I have a hole in my skull and it is possible my brain is rubbing against my superior semicircular ear canal durring jostling activities (like running).  That causes crazy signals being sent to my brain from the canal (which controls balance) that cause my weird sensation during running and the crazy vertigo afterwards.  The fix is surgery - either through the skull, push the brain out of the way and fill the hole or a new technique (that the doctor last week didn't know about) which is to go in through the ear and block off that entire canal (so I lose the ability to use it).  I still have 2 more (and three on the right side) so impacts to my balance would be minor, but it is possible hearing loss and balance issues could come from it.  I did not know about the ear canal block and have been thinking the only fix for the past week would be a relatively risky (it affects the brain) where side effects (stroke, auditory/ambulatory/mental impairments) are a real possibility.  So it was risk that surgery or never run again.  It's been a fun week...

But the other surgery through the ear is safer and more effective (but you lose that one ear canal, so not without side effects of it's own).  Something I can wrap my head around getting done more. 

That being said, I have another MRI and more ear tests to do before anything is done.  Some of my symptoms don't match the classic SSCD symptoms (for instance, my hearing test showed high frequency hearing loss in my left ear, where low frequency loss is more common).  But a lot do match up very well.  Basically, they know I have the hole, but want to make sure it is actually what is causing my symptoms before recommending doing anything.  SO these other tests should rule anything else out, or give us something to look at before surgery.  The other option for SSCD is to do nothing...it won't kill me or hurt me...but I also won't recover until it is fixed.

Now I'm about to go enjoy some quality time with my trainer, because it's pouring out here.

Wow...is this a common thing? Is it something you were born with or does it just happen over time?  I'm glad you got some answers.  Sorry the fix is so difficult. 

Enjoy the trainer.  I'm hoping the rain stops.  I was planning on grilling out tonight.

Christy

2011-07-08 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3586471

User image

Master
Baltimore
slornow - 2011-07-08 11:16 AM

Randy  

What Randy mentioned is pretty good.  My bet is that it's not an "apples - to - apples" comparison.  Indoor spin bikes (even when I ride my real bike on the trainer) is NOT a good comparison to real world outside speed.  It is good to compare spin session to spin session, but don't be focused on it's relationship to outside riding.  YOu'll get faster as you bike more (and with equipment changes, if possible, like Randy mentioned), but it will take time and hard work.  One of the biggest reasons we don't get faster on the bike is that we don't work as hard as we should be.  I am definitely guilty of that.  It took a $1000 powermeter to show me to work as hard as I should be.  You don't need that though...just bike harder, it's free

2011-07-08 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3587269

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-07-08 5:10 PM

Wow...is this a common thing? Is it something you were born with or does it just happen over time?  I'm glad you got some answers.  Sorry the fix is so difficult. 

Enjoy the trainer.  I'm hoping the rain stops.  I was planning on grilling out tonight.

Christy

No, not that common.  They believe it's congenital, but I don't think it's fully understood where it comes from.  It was only discovered a little over 10 years ago (right down the road at my alma matter (JHU) no less!).  I almost doubled my run volume for the 6 months or so prior to this coming on, so that may have been why it happened now - a thin wall (which I've probably had my whole life) wore away to a hole.  But they really don't know.

2011-07-08 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3587285

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
jsiegs - 2011-07-08 4:20 PM
cbrookhart - 2011-07-08 5:10 PM

Christy

No, not that common.  They believe it's congenital, but I don't think it's fully understood where it comes from.  It was only discovered a little over 10 years ago (right down the road at my alma matter (JHU) no less!).  I almost doubled my run volume for the 6 months or so prior to this coming on, so that may have been why it happened now - a thin wall (which I've probably had my whole life) wore away to a hole.  But they really don't know.

Smarty pants!  I went to school down the street (college of notre dame).  If you were 10 years older we might have hung out at one of those fraternity parties discussing beersicles Smile.  On a serious note, you are in a good place for medical care.  We have some great doctors and hospitals.

Christy

That typo was wishful thinking that I was 10 years younger

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-07-08 4:31 PM
2011-07-09 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3587302

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Well, I tried my luck at another group ride this morning, and I prayed and hoped and ohm'd myself so I wouldn't get a flat tire, fall off my bike, or crash. It worked

I planned on a 16 mile ride, thought I would go out and turn around. Apparently people had a different plan for me, lol. We went out, I lost the group (surprise, surprise) they just ride WAY faster than I can ever dream of. However, their was one guy who stayed at the back of the pack, he had a nice pace, and low and behold, I was able to keep up with him (for the most part). At least I was able to keep him in my sight.

The entire group met at a gas station to re-group and re-fuel. I ended up breaking from the pack with that guy and we went our own route. We were averaging 15-16 mph, and a few times I fell back probably to 12 mph.

We met back at the gym and it turns out we rode 28 miles. I am pretty proud of that. The 'others' (you know... the elites!) they did 40 miles and 60 miles, and still got back at the same time we did!! Good grief Charlie Brown. I just know one day I'll be one of those people. Embarassed

Anyway. It seems like this guy (Brian) is excited about having someone on his level, as am I. It was a nice ride, with good conversation (in the country with no traffic) and seems like I made a friend.

So re-cap: Group Ride Take Two... SUCCESS Woo hoo!!

Now to get on buying that bike...

2011-07-09 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3588053

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-07-09 12:21 PM

Well, I tried my luck at another group ride this morning, and I prayed and hoped and ohm'd myself so I wouldn't get a flat tire, fall off my bike, or crash. It worked

I planned on a 16 mile ride, thought I would go out and turn around. Apparently people had a different plan for me, lol. We went out, I lost the group (surprise, surprise) they just ride WAY faster than I can ever dream of. However, their was one guy who stayed at the back of the pack, he had a nice pace, and low and behold, I was able to keep up with him (for the most part). At least I was able to keep him in my sight.

The entire group met at a gas station to re-group and re-fuel. I ended up breaking from the pack with that guy and we went our own route. We were averaging 15-16 mph, and a few times I fell back probably to 12 mph.

We met back at the gym and it turns out we rode 28 miles. I am pretty proud of that. The 'others' (you know... the elites!) they did 40 miles and 60 miles, and still got back at the same time we did!! Good grief Charlie Brown. I just know one day I'll be one of those people. Embarassed

Anyway. It seems like this guy (Brian) is excited about having someone on his level, as am I. It was a nice ride, with good conversation (in the country with no traffic) and seems like I made a friend.

So re-cap: Group Ride Take Two... SUCCESS Woo hoo!!

Now to get on buying that bike...

Awesome!! You should be proud!!

Christy

2011-07-09 1:09 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Karla-glad that it worked out well.  Great that you tried again and had a good experience.  Nice ride!

All checked in for race tomorrow.  Both of my children (son 17, daughter 16) will be volunteering and working at the swim exit.  Anything for a free t-shirt .. My race # is 290.  It is a time trial start in the river.  Slip off the pier into the water and go. Lower the number the sooner you start.  I think there are about 1100 racers.  The higher the number the later you start and the hotter it will be when you finish.  Last year I was #149 and started within 10 minutes of first racer going into the water. I heard some folks waited 1.5 hours last year....I'd go crazy! Cool swim down river alongside historic homes sitting high on the bluffs.  You go under 3 high bridges and swim exits at transition.   My favorite swimof any race I have done...alot of that is probably due to the light current that helps you along.

They are using "Tri-Tats" which are the fancy temporary tattoo numbers.  They used them at USAT AG Nationals last year and its pretty cool....very "official looking".  Unfortunately, they will not make me go any faster.  Starting to get nervous/anxious.  Took an easy ride this morning.  Going to chill for awhile and then get all of my stuff together.  Last year it was my 1st race of the season due to injury.  This year it will be my 5th race.  Hopefully, I'm well prepared and well rested.

Randy    
2011-07-09 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3588103

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-07-09 1:09 PM Karla-glad that it worked out well.  Great that you tried again and had a good experience.  Nice ride!

All checked in for race tomorrow.  Both of my children (son 17, daughter 16) will be volunteering and working at the swim exit.  Anything for a free t-shirt .. My race # is 290.  It is a time trial start in the river.  Slip off the pier into the water and go. Lower the number the sooner you start.  I think there are about 1100 racers.  The higher the number the later you start and the hotter it will be when you finish.  Last year I was #149 and started within 10 minutes of first racer going into the water. I heard some folks waited 1.5 hours last year....I'd go crazy! Cool swim down river alongside historic homes sitting high on the bluffs.  You go under 3 high bridges and swim exits at transition.   My favorite swimof any race I have done...alot of that is probably due to the light current that helps you along.

They are using "Tri-Tats" which are the fancy temporary tattoo numbers.  They used them at USAT AG Nationals last year and its pretty cool....very "official looking".  Unfortunately, they will not make me go any faster.  Starting to get nervous/anxious.  Took an easy ride this morning.  Going to chill for awhile and then get all of my stuff together.  Last year it was my 1st race of the season due to injury.  This year it will be my 5th race.  Hopefully, I'm well prepared and well rested.

Randy    

Good luck!

2011-07-09 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

GOOD LUCK RANDY!!! We're all cheering you on from around the country.

Karla - Nice job on the ride! I have yet to conquer the group ride.

Joe - I'm sorry you have to go through this! Sounds awful. Hope you can sort it out. If you're at JH, at least you know you're in good hands. 

I did my first OWS in Lake Michigan in a wetsuit today and it was unbelievably awesome! I went with two other triathletes - one who is training for an Ironman - and managed to get in a full mile with no problems. The weather and lake temp were perfect, and it was cool to listen to all the other triathletes and coaches hanging out by the beach. I'm glad I overcame that fear of the unknown, because now I feel like 1) I can do Chicago if I want, and 2) I will definitely be buying a wetsuit and doing that again. Having the suit will extend my tri season by a lot in my climate, and having it will encourage me to keep doing tris.

Can't wait for next weekend. I'm getting so excited for my race!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56