BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-01-30 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4019046

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-30 2:31 PM

I just wish I could afford the full suspension MTB that I rented...so comfortable, but way too slow on the road. So much fun! I only have a couple bruises (they're from brushing the pedals...those things are damn sharp/hard!), only slight shoulder soreness. I'm surprised. :-)  I'm looking forward for my next one.   I'm thinking about getting a hardtail, but I'm not sure if I'll like without the back suspension...I was spoiled the first ride. :-D

Anyhoo, my friend did the video, I'm at the beginning signing "No Fear". 

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQVo35YvU2M

So very cool!!! Looks like a wonderful trail! 

2012-01-30 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Expert
Illinois
Got my short trainer ride in tonight. Did 30 minutes of the Sufferfest video "A very Dark Place". 
2012-01-30 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4017998

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
abake - 2012-01-30 6:43 AM

Morning Fellow BTers ---

Today I am making a proclamation to get out of slug mode and WORK ON MY BIKE. Life has been hectic and I've been able to get my running in for the most part but can't seem to make myself get on that darned trainer.  

So please feel free to smack talk, taunt or hurl insults my way  --- I am going to aim for 4 bikes a week. I also got a glimpse at the bike course for my HIM in August and it would appear that some serious hill training is in order.

Thanks for your help!

I'm sorry, but you regularly get up in the middle of the night to run! ...in the dark, and finish before I'm even thinking of hitting the snooze button, and this is your SLUG MODE?! puh-leez.... do you cut yourself any slack?

Tongue out

2012-01-30 9:22 PM
in reply to: #4019534

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-30 7:01 PM
kenj - 2012-01-30 1:45 PM

That is a neat video DJ.  Thanks for sharing that! 

I have been tossing around ideas with the low cost of helmet cams and portable recordes of finding a good way to put a video together documenting IM training for Florida this year.

You should!! Do you ever look back at your Ironman training and said, "I wished I recorded that?"  Even if you did a terrible run, it'll make you tougher.  You can even record some of your long bike rides, just to kind of look back a little and show off your skillz.      I know I wish I could do that when I go on my rides since nearly all of my rides are around Red Rock Canyon, River Mountain Trail, and Lakeshore Loop (Silverman is part of that...very tough!!), it's pretty scenic. :-)  Or just get a cheap camera that's really easy/quick/light that you can take out and take snapshots of stuff you see during your training! I always get a kick out of those.

i've thought about ways i could rig my iphone around my neck or something to shoot videos of some of the pretty farms & friendly cows where i ride, but knowing my luck i figure it'd fly off & get run over by a car or something....

2012-01-30 11:18 PM
in reply to: #4019714

User image

Regular
Denver

abake - 2012-01-30 8:13 PM Got my short trainer ride in tonight. Did 30 minutes of the Sufferfest video "A very Dark Place". 

Late entry... but... "WHO's YOUR DADDY!??????!!!!"   Post up those Garmin Stats!

Warm Up: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/146062962
Main Set: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/146062964

Carla's Pain Cave

2012-01-31 4:04 AM
in reply to: #4018462

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Wesley12 - 2012-01-30 11:12 AM

I really enjoy the insanity work-outs.  I've thought of adding them into my training but I don't know if I have the time.  Definately going to add the abs in starting Feb 1.  I'm running 4 days, biking 4 days and swimming 3.  I'm not sure if adding Shaun T to the regiment would give me time for recovery.  I'll have to try it out and see how it works.  I'm going to do whatever it takes to have a good day at IMFL.  (Only 278 days away)

Another question about my swim work-outs.  I go to my masters on Tues and Wed and the Y by myself on Sunday afternoons.  Sunday afternoons I usually just try and swim freesytle without stopping whatever distance is on my schedule. (BT 1/2 ironman)  Do you think I should just swim the whole distance at once or break it down to 100s, 250s or something like that?  Schedule calls for distances between 1700 - 2650. 

The insanity would be the first thing to go if I was closer to the season, but since the only races I have until the end of April are road races that I am using simply as organised speed work with friends, no reason to have to make that decision.  Plus, the end of April race is a hilly HM so I think the plyo helps, we'll see.

As far as your swim question Wesley, I am not an expert but I think that you could benefit either way.  Swimming longer sets of 400 - 500 yards help build endurance, but doing the shorter higher intensity intervals add value as well.  If it were me, I would probably do some 100 yard sprints after warm up, some drills then maybe 2 X 500 in the second half of the swim.  Keep the rest at 30 seconds between 500's if you can. 

2012-01-31 4:05 AM
in reply to: #4019898

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-31 12:18 AM

abake - 2012-01-30 8:13 PM Got my short trainer ride in tonight. Did 30 minutes of the Sufferfest video "A very Dark Place". 

Late entry... but... "WHO's YOUR DADDY!??????!!!!"   Post up those Garmin Stats!

Carla's Pain Cave

Great work on the bike Carla and Anne!! Keep it up!

2012-01-31 8:20 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Swim clinic last night!  Bike and insanity this morning!  I am whooped! But in a good way.

We did a lot of drills last night at swimming.  One arm drills, ankle tied drills, closed eye swimming.  All designed to build awareness to body position (and to make me look silly).  The last new drill last night was one arm with ankles tied.  I think if you can do that with proper body position and no sinking hips you might have a shot at the olympics.  Me, I have road rash on the top of my feet from them dragging on the bottom.  But it is all good, when we went back to straight swimming I am still seeing gains! 

2012-01-31 9:28 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

BTW, how did everyone do with their January goals, since it is the last day of the month! Smile

I had a goal to lose 10 pounds, as of this morning I am down 8.5 so although I didn't get 10 I am good with that.  Considering my travel schedule for the month I am happy with the training goals.  I keep forgetting to check my body fat percentage in the evening when I am better hydrated, but looking at the morning results, I didn't do well with that goal.  I was hoping for 3 or 4%, but I think it is going to come in under 2% decrease. 

For February I am going to continue to work on the weight loss, with a goal of 6 pounds.  I will continue to focus more on the paleo in an effort to drop body fat and maybe even exceed the weight loss goals.  My travel schedule for February (so far) is a lot better than January (for training that is).  So the focus will be on the bike and swim and continue current level of running, plus strength training.

How did everyone else do with their January goals and what are you thinking of for February?

2012-01-31 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4020420

User image

Master
Sin City
kenj - 2012-01-31 7:28 AM

BTW, how did everyone do with their January goals, since it is the last day of the month! Smile

How did everyone else do with their January goals and what are you thinking of for February?

I think I did alright. January was to get back into the groove of training. Had some sluggish days here and there, no big deal. :-)   Had one AMAZING run mile where I ran sub-10 avg for a mile for the FIRST TIME!  Had an AMAZING experience Mountain Biking.  Kept up with my food logs on Lose It, lost 6 pounds in a month (which is considered a good weight loss for me, and I'm back to what I was last year at the END of my Triathlon season...so, that's pretty good!).   The only accomplishment I didn't get done was...signing up for races!  D'OH!  Actually, I have a reason, I'm financially strapped this month, when I get more money in in a few days, I will be able to sign up for races. 

For February, I will have to seriously consider my HIM race.  I have THREE races that I can think of, which brings me to my next post.  I hope to lose more weight. Be a little better at running (like always!), start doing Night rides with my club group.  Non-Triathlon related: Finish up my Graduate Portfolio...OMG I'm scared!!  I officially start serious Triathlon training this week.

2012-01-31 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4019898

User image

Expert
Illinois
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-30 11:18 PM

Carla's Pain Cave

Very nice stats!!  My Garmin quit working with the uploads a couple of months back (bad USB cable, I believe) so I have not been uploading workouts. Got a new one for Christmas though, so I will get that rolling this week and then we can really kick things up a notch.

Nice shot of the pain cave. Which workout is that on your TV? Is that a Sufferfest?

2012-01-31 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-30 9:18 PM

Warm Up: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/146062962
Main Set: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/146062964

OMG Carla!! I LOVE IT!! Your HR and intervals are amazingly on track! Can I "steal" this workout? I wanna try...:-) I don't have a PM.   My HR is always really wacky...so I'm curious if I do the same workout you do, the HR will have similar course you do. 

BTW....I know where you live. If I see you slacking off, I'm gonna get my BB gun and make you dance. :-P Get 'er dun!

2012-01-31 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4020221

User image

Expert
Illinois
kenj - 2012-01-31 8:20 AM

Swim clinic last night!  Bike and insanity this morning!  I am whooped! But in a good way.

We did a lot of drills last night at swimming.  One arm drills, ankle tied drills, closed eye swimming.  All designed to build awareness to body position (and to make me look silly).  The last new drill last night was one arm with ankles tied.  I think if you can do that with proper body position and no sinking hips you might have a shot at the olympics.  Me, I have road rash on the top of my feet from them dragging on the bottom.  But it is all good, when we went back to straight swimming I am still seeing gains! 

How is this even possible? This sounds Fear Factoresque

2012-01-31 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4020856

User image

Regular
Denver
abake - 2012-01-31 12:19 PM

Carla's Pain Cave

Very nice stats!!  My Garmin quit working with the uploads a couple of months back (bad USB cable, I believe) so I have not been uploading workouts. Got a new one for Christmas though, so I will get that rolling this week and then we can really kick things up a notch.

Nice shot of the pain cave. Which workout is that on your TV? Is that a Sufferfest?

On the TV I am watching Tour de France 2009 Time Trial Stage!
2012-01-31 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
kenj - 2012-01-31 9:28 AM

I had a goal to lose 10 pounds, as of this morning I am down 8.5 so although I didn't get 10 I am good with that.  Considering my travel schedule for the month I am happy with the training goals.  I keep forgetting to check my body fat percentage in the evening when I am better hydrated, but looking at the morning results, I didn't do well with that goal.  I was hoping for 3 or 4%, but I think it is going to come in under 2% decrease. 

For February I am going to continue to work on the weight loss, with a goal of 6 pounds.  I will continue to focus more on the paleo in an effort to drop body fat and maybe even exceed the weight loss goals.  My travel schedule for February (so far) is a lot better than January (for training that is).  So the focus will be on the bike and swim and continue current level of running, plus strength training.

Nice job on the weight loss! 8.5 lbs is great!

slugWith the exception of running, I lived a somewhat sluglike existence and really struggled with feeling motivated. We have had a lot of family stuff going on, making it tough sometimes to find the time to workout. Thanks to Carla's smack talk, however, I plan to focus on some serious bike work for February!

Weight is exactly the same as it was at the beginning of the month.

Yesterday, I signed up for the Rev3 HalfFull race so will officially get to race with MarlaS this fall. It looks like a pretty hilly course so as soon as the weather breaks, I will be making weekend treks over to Hannibal, Missouri. Steve's daughter, SIL and baby live there and it also is some of  the hilliest riding in the Central Illinois area. A lot of the IMOO crowd go over there to train.

2012-01-31 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4020864

User image

Regular
Denver
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-31 12:20 PM

OMG Carla!! I LOVE IT!! Your HR and intervals are amazingly on track! Can I "steal" this workout? I wanna try...:-) I don't have a PM.   My HR is always really wacky...so I'm curious if I do the same workout you do, the HR will have similar course you do. 

BTW....I know where you live. If I see you slacking off, I'm gonna get my BB gun and make you dance. :-P Get 'er dun!

Yes, enjoy the workout or I can post it for you so you know the "suggested gearing"! My coach would hang me if she knew I just posted "her" workout, but, I figure... share the PAIN!I must admit... I think I whimpered on a few of those sets... and I think I need to put some celophane over my handlebar post to keep it from rusting! (Read: I was dripping quite a bit of sweat!)You, too, can play in the Smack Talk Game! We should post our workouts for the rest of the week... first one to miss a session PAYS!

2012-01-31 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4020983

User image

Expert
Illinois
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-31 12:56 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-31 12:20 PM

Yes, enjoy the workout or I can post it for you so you know the "suggested gearing"! My coach would hang me if she knew I just posted "her" workout, but, I figure... share the PAIN!I must admit... I think I whimpered on a few of those sets... and I think I need to put some celophane over my handlebar post to keep it from rusting! (Read: I was dripping quite a bit of sweat!)You, too, can play in the Smack Talk Game! We should post our workouts for the rest of the week... first one to miss a session PAYS!

This is awesome!

2012-01-31 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

The October race that I really want to do is a month after my wedding. I'm a little bit concerned about not being able to get in the workouts, especially at the peak.  I may be able to get in some swims (no public pools, and the closest one is about 40 minutes away for $12 per visit), can still do OWS, but will be VERY cold.   Runs I definitely can get those in.  Bike, probably not.  My hometown and surrounding areas are NOT bike friendly, and too expensive for me to ship my bike.   I most likely will be in NJ for 12-15 days. 

I figure that I can treat the wedding time as recovery weeks, focus on run distance/speedwork. When I get back I can lower the volume on the run, and focus on the bike, and get back to swimming.  I'm not TOO concerned about lack of swimming because I'm the same speed as I was when trained for last year's triathlon currently...so my speed hasn't  changed, the endurance yes, but speed no. I can easily do OWS in Vegas.    The October HIM is 5 months after my Olympic planned tri...plenty of time to train.  I will only have one or two potential run races (5k and 10k or HM) in August) during the 5 months, *maybe* one club tri (treat as a C race, brush up on transition skills/pacing/etc).

Basically my question is....will this work?  Or will the wedding time count against me?

Thanks for any input. 

2012-01-31 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Foot doc appt. today.  6 more weeks of the boot and 1 cortisone shot.

My January goal of getting rid of my PF is now my February goal.  Its looking like my tri season is in danger.

2012-01-31 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Awesome workouts Carla, D.J and Anne!!!
2012-01-31 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4021665

User image

Expert
Illinois
robingray_260 - 2012-01-31 5:06 PM

Foot doc appt. today.  6 more weeks of the boot and 1 cortisone shot.

My January goal of getting rid of my PF is now my February goal.  Its looking like my tri season is in danger.

Ouch, I am so sorry to hear that, PF is such a frustrating, complex condition. I hope the shot gives you some relief. 

2012-01-31 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4021063

User image

Expert
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-31 1:20 PM

The October race that I really want to do is a month after my wedding. I'm a little bit concerned about not being able to get in the workouts, especially at the peak.  I may be able to get in some swims (no public pools, and the closest one is about 40 minutes away for $12 per visit), can still do OWS, but will be VERY cold.   Runs I definitely can get those in.  Bike, probably not.  My hometown and surrounding areas are NOT bike friendly, and too expensive for me to ship my bike.   I most likely will be in NJ for 12-15 days. 

I figure that I can treat the wedding time as recovery weeks, focus on run distance/speedwork. When I get back I can lower the volume on the run, and focus on the bike, and get back to swimming.  I'm not TOO concerned about lack of swimming because I'm the same speed as I was when trained for last year's triathlon currently...so my speed hasn't  changed, the endurance yes, but speed no. I can easily do OWS in Vegas.    The October HIM is 5 months after my Olympic planned tri...plenty of time to train.  I will only have one or two potential run races (5k and 10k or HM) in August) during the 5 months, *maybe* one club tri (treat as a C race, brush up on transition skills/pacing/etc).

Basically my question is....will this work?  Or will the wedding time count against me?

Thanks for any input. 

It will "work" if you want it to, but it is your wedding. It's okay to relax and enjoy it too.
2012-01-31 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4020894

User image

Veteran
Georgia
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-31 1:28 PM
abake - 2012-01-31 12:19 PM

Carla's Pain Cave

On the TV I am watching Tour de France 2009 Time Trial Stage!

Great work you two..Keep it up..

2012-01-31 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4019046

User image

Veteran
Georgia
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-30 3:31 PM

I just wish I could afford the full suspension MTB that I rented...so comfortable, but way too slow on the road. So much fun! I only have a couple bruises (they're from brushing the pedals...those things are damn sharp/hard!), only slight shoulder soreness. I'm surprised. :-)  I'm looking forward for my next one.   I'm thinking about getting a hardtail, but I'm not sure if I'll like without the back suspension...I was spoiled the first ride. :-D

Anyhoo, my friend did the video, I'm at the beginning signing "No Fear". 

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQVo35YvU2M

Looked like a good time had by all thanks for sharing..

2012-01-31 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
kenj - 2012-01-31 10:28 AM

Great job Ken on the weight loss..

For January I was able to log my food every day but lost no weight at all(very disappointed). Completed the half mary and got in some great strength training workouts..Focused on a lot of core work..My running slacked off some but still moving.

February goals: Try to lose some weight at least 10 pounds find something that works diet wise...Start my tri training and really start to focus for my race in April..Finalized race schedule.. Continue to support all our members in our group..

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72