General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2013-05-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
I am on the Beginner full Ironman training program, edited by my wife and kids.
Saturday: camping and hkiing with family, teaching kids to fly fish.
Sunday: volunteer at soup kitchen and hope to have time for 1 hour swim in Cda and 3 hour run on the course.
Monday: whatever I can squeeze in after family yardwork day(Memorial day), my plan has a recovery week here. Then 13 hours, 8 hours and 6 hour weeks.

You all are amazing in the number of hours of hardwork you are putting in. Good Job!

2013-05-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: PrivateIdaho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Originally posted by PrivateIdaho

When I get some spare time, over the weekend, I was thinking that since I'm the one that started this thread, I would take on the task of compiling a table with everyone's bib numbers, screen name and real first names. Might be useful for meeting-up before the race or "looking strong!" shout-outs during the race - not sure I can remember or pronounce all the screen names.

I'll go back and find all the posts where people posted their bibs and start creating the table.  Other than bib#, screen name and first name, any other columns you'd like to see?

- Home Town?

- Date arriving in Cd'A?

- Where staying in the area?

- Family with you (kids/ages)?

- Race kit?

- Race bike?

- Age Group?

- Going to Welcome banquet?

- This will be Ironman number __ for you.

- Any other?

Thanks. I think that is a great idea. Also Good luck on your weekend HM. If it was me I would do it at my estimated IM marathon pace for feel. Locals got any idea what the lake temp is? I know we had 90 degree weather here in Michigan and a lot of the lakes around here are in the low 60's or high 50's.
2013-05-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Originally posted by spie34

Missed a day yesterday working out. I feel guilty somewhat about it but I haven't gotten good sleep the last few nights (2.5 year old daughter does that to you at times) so I decided to skip my workouts yesterday.

I am planning on replacing yesterday's longer swim workout with today's shorter swim workout and then replacing tomorrow swim workout with todays and on Sunday doing Saturday's swim workout since my swim workouts have taken the biggest hit of them all.

I know how you feel I was soo tired yesterday I skipped a 60 minute run. I figured at this point most if not all the gains are done. If my body is tired I need to rest it. For me that is an easy call looking at the weekend workouts. Good luck ripping the house up.
2013-05-24 4:51 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Originally posted by maverickbassets ...Locals got any idea what the lake temp is? I know we had 90 degree weather here in Michigan and a lot of the lakes around here are in the low 60's or high 50's.

It's about 55.5 at the moment, we've taken a hit the last few days with daytime highs barely in the 50's and nighttime lows in the upper 30's, even got some snow in the mountains.  The lake peaked at 59.5 about 10 days ago.   Temps should improve with some better weather forecast for the next 10 days.

2013-05-24 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by smithe68

errnkp - 2013-05-12 11:15 AM for you guys who live in the area, what is the water temperature like

http://www.lakecoeurdalene.com/lake-conditions/

Honestly I believe it's warmer now than it was last year on race day. 

Here's that water temp link again, I don't even remember who originally posted it but I remember I did as well. Be cool if it could be set to the top of each page in the CDA thread.
2013-05-24 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

errnkp - 2013-05-12 11:15 AM for you guys who live in the area, what is the water temperature like

http://www.lakecoeurdalene.com/lake-conditions/

Honestly I believe it's warmer now than it was last year on race day. 

Here's that water temp link again, I don't even remember who originally posted it but I remember I did as well. Be cool if it could be set to the top of each page in the CDA thread.

Here's another link to the USGS site for the lake temperature - I just used it to check the temp on this date last year: 52

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&format=gif_stats&period=3&site_no=12417610

2013-05-25 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Oh man, just got back from a 50 miler on hills that make the CDA course seem easy, nothing on the race course has anything on Charles Rd, or the one coming up from the Indian rock painting park!
2013-05-26 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
4 weeks!!!!!
2013-05-26 7:49 PM

User image

Spokane
Well i'm glad i didn't bump up my hours this week and stuck to the 15 1/2. I feel beat up.. i got another minor tear in my Achilles from yesterdays run. Last time i had this happen it took about 3 weeks to heal up fully.. so hopefully it will be the same.
2013-05-26 8:10 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Spokane
on another note... 80's next week so hopefully we can warm that lake up! Been swimming in medical lake and it is bearable so hopefully CDA will be at least that warm lol.
2013-05-27 12:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Didn't get in quite as many miles on the bike course Saturday as I hoped, family obligations cut it a little short, but I did the big loop twice and got I in 86 miles.  Had some pretty good wind gusts on the first lap and the crosswinds made staying between the guardrail and rumble strips a little tricky at times, but things calmed down on the second lap and it was a half hour faster.

Really wasn't looking forward to my half marathon this morning, it was 41 degrees and foggy when I got up at 6am.  But the sun came out and it warmed up quickly.  I started out in the last third of the almost 1000 runners, thinking I was just going to take it easy and get in a good training run.  But I just kept passing people and started feeling better and better as I kept passing more and more people.

Ended up doing negative splits for every mile, except mile 10 which had a hill climb.  It was only my fourth HM, but I set a PR at 1:48 so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... but my legs are pretty angry with me, think I will give them the day off tomorrow.

2013-05-27 10:05 AM

User image

Regular

Didn't get in quite as many miles on the bike course Saturday as I hoped, family obligations cut it a little short, but I did the big loop twice and got I in 86 miles.  Had some pretty good wind gusts on the first lap and the crosswinds made staying between the guardrail and rumble strips a little tricky at times, but things calmed down on the second lap and it was a half hour faster.

Really wasn't looking forward to my half marathon this morning, it was 41 degrees and foggy when I got up at 6am.  But the sun came out and it warmed up quickly.  I started out in the last third of the almost 1000 runners, thinking I was just going to take it easy and get in a good training run.  But I just kept passing people and started feeling better and better as I kept passing more and more people.

Ended up doing negative splits for every mile, except mile 10 which had a hill climb.  It was only my fourth HM, but I set a PR at 1:48 so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... but my legs are pretty angry with me, think I will give them the day off tomorrow.

Good job on the race. Its nice to know that training is paying off isn't it?

I missed a run workout that consisted of speed work and cut my sat bike down by 15 minutes which is ok since I got up early and decided that the weather here wasn't hit and miss so I sucked it up and did it on the trainer. Made the wife happy to know that I was done earlier in the day .

Next weekend, if there are people that would like to meet up in CDA to do a swim, bike, run session that would be cool. Either do the swim first or last. I have been liking my saturday swims to be last to give my body a little bit of recovery workout.
2013-05-27 10:23 AM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Tough week last week, I didn't get all of it in, but most. Feeling beat up right now as well. I was supposed to do an organized ride (century) here today, which would have been my final big brick... But, it is cold and rainy here and I punted. 6hrs in the rain and cold didn't sound like much fun. I'll get my last big ride in this week. Even if it's on the trainer....
2013-05-27 9:06 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids

When I get some spare time, over the weekend, I was thinking that since I'm the one that started this thread, I would take on the task of compiling a table with everyone's bib numbers, screen name and real first names. Might be useful for meeting-up before the race or "looking strong!" shout-outs during the race - not sure I can remember or pronounce all the screen names.

I'll go back and find all the posts where people posted their bibs and start creating the table.  Other than bib#, screen name and first name, any other columns you'd like to see?

- Home Town?

- Date arriving in Cd'A?

- Race kit?

- Race bike?

- Age Group?

- Any other?

We did something very similar to this on BT when I did IMLP in 2011. We set up a google doc though so everyone could input their own info and one person didn't have to compile all of the data. It worked well and it helped with recognizing each other before and during the race. If you're not familiar with google docs I could set one up.
2013-05-28 12:04 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV

It worries me when you say it was so windy it was hard to keep straight Hopefully it dies down by then...
2013-05-28 5:30 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Big weekend done.
Saturday went great 2 mile swim in 1:08 and 84 mile bike ride with a friend looked ofr hills, but only found about 4000ft. Cold at first, but warmed up nicely. Sunday did 10 miles at 8:30 pace on the trails and felt like a rock star.
The wheels fell off a little on Monday. Had a 80 mile bike followed by 3 hour run planned. I was doing it all solo so I knew it would be tough. I got the first 40 in great then I had a screw in my right arm rest sheer off and I was done. Ended up doing 55miles. Rode home to do the run. Started the run and for some reason I felt pretty fresh. About mile 9 of the run a friend waves me over to his yard for a talk. I didn't wanna be rude so I stopped and talked for 30 minutes about the weather. I need to learn to wave and keep running. I started running again and man my legs were toast. Slowly I got back up to speed and back on pace then I see what looks to be a hurt dog on the side of the road. I didn't have my phone and I was at least a mile from the nearest house. So I couldn't check on him properly for feer of being bitten in the middle of nowhere. I decided to wave the next car that passed by down and see if they could call someone to check the dog out. Stopped one guy and he said he would look into it. I sure hope that dog is fine. I talked to two other people working in their yards as I ran by to ask them to see if anyone local was missing a dog. Then it started pouring. Last 1.5 miles were a rainy muddy dirt road mess. I got home, ate something, took a shower, and died. I had every intention of going back and checking on that dog when I got home, but when I hit the shower every bit of energy I had was gone. I went right to bed and slept for 2 hours. What a day.
I hope everyone is doing good.

PrivateIdaho: Great job on the PR.

Dekahns51: I sure hope the achillies heals up in time for the race. That sucks.

Chris

2013-05-28 10:32 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Lake Cda is NOT 58 degrees. USGS has it right at 54-55 degrees. I have been spoiled by Rose lakes 61 degrees. Amazing how much colder 7 degrees is. Sanders beach had a bunch of kayakers and scuba divers practicing for IM. Nice to see so many volunteers preparing for us. I thanked those that I could. Did 2 miles in Lake Cda, then ran 16 on the course. Temp was 70 degrees, but felt hotter with the sunlight off the asphalt. Road 26 miles on the Hiawatha Trail yesterday. Pushed the whole 13 mile return. Pretty exhausting uphill climb. No bears this time.
2013-05-28 11:18 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by GatorDeb

It worries me when you say it was so windy it was hard to keep straight Hopefully it dies down by then...

It wasn't that the wind was all that bad, it's just that we're currently riding on the shoulder, and in some places there is only 3 or 4 feet between the guardrail and the rumble strips - makes it a little scarey to stay aero when crosswind gusts hit you.

During the race we'll have the whole lane - a lot more room for error.

2013-05-28 11:22 AM
in reply to: OnYourLeft

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Originally posted by OnYourLeft

- Home Town?

- Date arriving in Cd'A?

- Race kit?

- Race bike?

- Age Group?

- Any other?

We did something very similar to this on BT when I did IMLP in 2011. We set up a google doc though so everyone could input their own info and one person didn't have to compile all of the data. It worked well and it helped with recognizing each other before and during the race. If you're not familiar with google docs I could set one up.

That sounds like a better idea to have a centralized list than to have to maintain one.  I've never used google docs, if you wouldn't mind setting it up, that would be great... thanks!

2013-05-28 11:43 AM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah

- Home Town?

- Date arriving in Cd'A?

- Race kit?

- Race bike?

- Age Group?

- Any other?

Great idea..... if you go through with it, here is my Info
CodRed
Cody
From Logan, UT
Arriving Thursday @Guesthouse Inn
Family probably won't make this one (some scheduling conflicts.... so I'll definately need the shout-outs)
TREK
Race Kit - Hincapie Top, De Soto Bottom (Blue/Black), I love the De Soto Tri shorts, but I hate the tops.
M40-44
Yes (on the banquet)
Ironman #2 ( Previous - IM St George 2012)

If people are getting together for any pre-race/post-race.... whatever, I'll be flying solo and could use a friend.
2013-05-28 12:03 PM
in reply to: CodRed

User image

Expert
Broomfield, CO
Google documents is for sure the way to go...

Real name and user name - BradAskins (Brad Askins)
Bib - 2153
Home Town - Broomfield CO
Date arriving in Cd'A - 6/20 Thursday
Where staying in the area - Days Inn CdA
Family with you (kids/ages) - No kids just my wife
Race kit - Either IM Texas(Red, White, Black) or IMJ Training(Blue and Black)
Race bike - Cervelo P2 Red and Black
Age Group - M 45-49
Going to Welcome banquet - Yes with wife
This will be Ironman number - 2x first IMTX '12

Other - WAITING TO TAPER!!

2013-05-28 12:50 PM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Chilliwack
Here's my info...

Real name - Mike Robertson (tsrf900r)
Bib - 2042
Hometown - Chilliwack, BC
Date arriving - 6/20
Where staying - Sleep Inn - Post falls.
Family with you - Wife, and daughter 12
Race kit - Pearl Izumi Black/Red
Race Bike - Felt B2 - Red
Age Group - M 40-44
Banquet - Yes
Ironman #1

2013-05-28 2:14 PM
in reply to: tsrf900r

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Let me know when the google docs is set up.

On another note, start of week 4 workouts (yesterday was rest day) started out awesome. Hit the base pool around 1015 this morning and it was dead in there, 4000m later and I got out feeling like a million bucks!
2013-05-28 2:47 PM
in reply to: bradaskins

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Bib # 2485
Hometown: was Grand Rapids, now Rose Lake Idaho
Date arrive: live here
Staying at: home
Family: wife and three children
Race kit: Black/blue/white Zoot tri-suit
Race Bike: Blue Giant
Age group: 50-54
Ironman: #2
2013-05-28 4:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Bib 1594
Hometown: Chelsea, Mi
Date Arriving: 6/19
Staying at Residence Inn Spokane
Family: Wife, kids 9 and 10
Race kit: Black Desoto MASSKICKERS Logos
Race Bike: Cervelo P2 Black w/ Red
Age Group 35-39
Ironman #1
Race Goals: Don't drown, don't crash and don't bonk. Finish under 15 hours.

Edited by maverickbassets 2013-05-28 4:07 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57