BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-03-23 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4671488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
medeiros13 - 2013-03-23 1:57 PM

Did my first swim today...only 400yd ladder but it felt good to get out there.  I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't huffing and puffing so perhaps all of my endurance hasn't gone away yet!  I have to admit that it sucks not to be able to kick but I know that's what I need to do to get healthy.  Next step is to get on my bike tomorrow...I chickened out yesterday   I'm nervous about something going wrong on my trainer while clipped in...but I'll hopefully solve that tomorrow.

Does anyone know if Kate's race is today or tomorrow??

Jay, so glad that you were able to go swimming!!!!  Felt good to do somethng, didn't it?

Kate's race is today.  I had the same question and the HIM and the full are Saturday while something else is Sunday.  Can't wait to hear how it went for her.

Just spent 1 hour and 22 min on the trainer.  First went thru a hellish Spinnervals dvd and actually finished it.  Then spun for a while watching a movie.  I still think I'm gonna puke.

2013-03-23 5:18 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Pam -- if thats how you feel than you did it right.

Steve -- hope things get better soon. It must be a very trying time with life in general.

Jay -- nice job on the swim. I assume no wall pushoffs?

I went out and ran today. using a 9/1 run/walk combo, I did almost 7.5 miles in 1:12. No blistering pace, but a great feeling to get back at it. I took 2 really short breaks, maybe 30 seconds total, to stretch my glute/hammy thing and it helped. Now that I've been done a bit I can feel it acting up, but I will be hitting the foam roller and stretching very soon.

OK, Kate -- how did it go?!?!!?

2013-03-23 6:21 PM

User image

Expert

Thanks so much for the well wishes. I will do up a more thorough race report soon when I figure out my splits. But here is a short summary. 

The 70.3 went really well and I ran the whole 13 miles w/o much pain. I'm quite stiff/sore now.. I just used my foam roller on my tired cranky muscles.. 

The forecast was rain so I made my husband stop at a Walgreens on the way to the race site to pick up garbage bags. I'm so glad I did that.  Coz about 30 minutes before transition closed it poured. Putting on my wetsuit with wet skin was a lot of fun :/. But having the garbage bags to keep my stuff dry was great. Nothing like putting on dry socks. 

The swim was ok, but they had to delay the start coz it was still dark with all the cloud cover. It was kinda eerie. I just kept plugging along and foliowing everyone. It was so hard to see the buoys unless one was close. After I finished, I used the wetsuit strippers           (thanks for explaining that Steve) and that was really great. A lot of people were just running right past it. 

The bike portion went fine, but the roads were a bit rough and LOT'S of traffic. I'm really spoiled where I live, with the paved 68 mile bike path we have near our house. 

I was most worried about the run. The sun came out just as I was starting and it got really warm quick. I did a lot of dousing with water and that helped a lot. Some of it was on a soft trail and I think running on that soft ground really saved my knees and feet. That part of the run was quite scenic and beautiful. I paced with a really nice older man early on and we pretty much ran the whole thing together. Chatting with him was fantastic and caused the miles to melt away. 

My son and husband met up with me about 7 tenths of a mile from the finish and ran the rest of the way with me. That was really really  nice.

Overall I am really happy with my results and thankful for all the support and advice shared here. It made great difference in my training. 

2013-03-23 7:41 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Fantastic job, Katie!!! Congratulations!!
2013-03-23 8:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Kate - it sounds like your race was as good as it could have been. Way to put in all the work that made for such a great race. Looking forward to reading your race report. Enjoy the well-earned down time!
2013-03-23 10:28 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Great job Kate, they are showing rain next Saturday so garbage bags are on my list!

2013-03-24 7:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Kate, so excited and proud for you!!!!  Great job.  Glad that nasty PF allowed you to finish.  Can't wait to hear all of the details.
2013-03-24 7:03 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Wooohooo!!! Way to go Kate! So happy you had such a great race.  It sounds like you really enjoyed it too.  Very cool your family was there for you towards the end!
2013-03-24 9:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Kate: I'm waiting patiently for a detailed report but I'm very happy you had a good experience!

Mike: No hard wall pushoffs...just a little one with my good foot.

Pam: Yeah, it felt great to do something again for sure!

Today I got on my bike and rode for 20 minutes....and it was okay.  When I was at the PT the other day, I biked in my boot because I didn't have my sneaker for my left foot...so it felt a little sore to ride today.  If I didn't get the clearance from my PT, I would've stopped out of concern that I was hurting myself but I'm guessing I'm supposed to be sore because I haven't done much.  I will ask during my next appointment on Tuesday....I'll just swim tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great day!

2013-03-24 10:13 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks everyone for your comments. I know you understand what it is to train and do this kind of event. Sitting on the couch nursing some stiff muscles today. I finished my RR. Here is the link.

Also a couple pics. Look at the cute benches in transition. 

Me sweaty and tired at the end. I still managed a smile. 

Edited by KateTri1 2013-03-24 10:16 AM
2013-03-24 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Way to go Kate.  I dream of my family crossing the line with me some day!  What a great feeling to be able to share the experience with the ones you love!

2013-03-24 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Great job Kate.  You are awesome.  Glad it all went well.  
2013-03-24 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Both your race and your training have been inspiring!  Congrats, Kate!!
2013-03-24 9:41 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Awesome achievement Kate!! Nice touch to finish with your family. Carol - hope the group bike ride went well. Had a great day yesterday. I went to the pool to swim. Showered off and got to the pool area to find it was kid's swim. Kids were everywhere having fun, and I was a little disappointed that I didn't get there earlier. Felt down and didn't want to workout anymore, but I thought - I'm gonna go home and ride outside once. It was 35 degrees and sunny and to make a long story short I had an awesome time. I think I had a smile on my face through the whole ride - even though I couldn't feel my toes at the end. Next time I'm gonna add plastic grocery bags over my shoes which should go well with my gardening gloves and high visibility construction shirt. I know I look like a freak, but I definitely had fun and hopefully drivers notice me more in my very low-tech cycling attire.
2013-03-24 9:41 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Dp

Edited by Antwonathon 2013-03-24 10:29 PM
2013-03-25 12:40 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Great job Kate, sounds like perfect execution!!!!  Take a week or 2 to get feeling better keep things lite and easy until well into next week.  Some walking slow bike short swim type stuff is ok if you want to work the kinks out.

One thing to keep in mind though is that in most traithlons if your family runs with you, you risk being disqualfied from the event.  HITS is more family friendly than most but most USAT tris may DQ you if anyone runs with you for more than 100 yards. 

Edited by Baowolf 2013-03-25 1:01 AM

2013-03-25 7:53 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Kate - Great job. You were trained, and in great shape to make last minute adjustments. Well done!

Steve - Enduring job turmoil is never fun and can be a challenge in itself. Glad you persevere.

Managed a nice bike yesterday 17.6 miles and the speed continues to come back. Although I think not being frozen during the ride had something to do with that. The pool is closed this week so bumming a bit about that. Otherwise feel good about training so far and glad for a recovery week this week.

2013-03-25 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I'm feeling good as well, maybe this whole group is turning a collective corner?

Managed a 7.5 mile run on saturday, core strength session & 2 hour trainer ride yesterday, and this AM was 2650 in the pool. Overall a great few days.
2013-03-25 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4673281

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Mike_D - 2013-03-25 11:23 AM I'm feeling good as well, maybe this whole group is turning a collective corner?

Here's to hoping that statement rings true!

2013-03-25 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4672809

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Antwonathon - 2013-03-24 9:41 PM I think I had a smile on my face through the whole ride - even though I couldn't feel my toes at the end. Next time I'm gonna add plastic grocery bags over my shoes which should go well with my gardening gloves and high visibility construction shirt. I know I look like a freak, but I definitely had fun and hopefully drivers notice me more in my very low-tech cycling attire.

Anthony, I can't tell you how much I like that low tech approach!  Glad you got outside and had a great time.

Steve, sorry about the sucky work environment and lack of training to cope with it.  No endorphins makes it that much harder to take the high road. 

Bike ride went great.  Thought we were going to get rained out, but cleared off enough for us to do it.  Small group, likely due to said weather, but everyone had a good time.  We didn't go quite as far as planned on the road route.  One fellow had just gotten back on the bike, and a couple more were running a HM the next day so wanted to take it easy.

Yes, I sure hope this group is on the upswing health and injury wise.  After taking some down time from running to let my foot heal and getting mostly over the cold/flu thing I had, I feel like I have a chance to rebuild on a better foundation.  So I'm returning to a better mix of S/B/R. Using the beginner HIM plan here on BT to give me some structure, but not sure I'm really training for a HIM.  Doing a jog 1 mi/walk 0.25 mi on the run to rebuild that slow and easy.  Also hit the pool this morning for 2K yards.

2013-03-25 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4673648

User image

Expert

I'm so glad most of you are feeling much better. Go Wolves!!!

I'm a bit sore today but feeling good. I did a nice swim this morning. It felt really good. 

I hear you Steve about the family accompany at the end of the run. I wouldn't even have considered it in the other events I've participated in. HITS was about the most relaxed race I've ever done. 

2013-03-26 4:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Quick check-in because school starts back today and therefore baseball starts back.  Our weather has turned cooler and WINDY therefore we have to have major gear just to watch the baseball games.  So I'm up early this morn and instead of hitting the trainer, I'm trying to pack various bags with gear so I can go to work, finish the day, change into running or swimming gear, perform that sport, and then bundle up for the baseball games.

Kate, glad that you are recovering well.  Also glad to hear that many are feeling better.

Crunch challenge: {Ken, I think you and I are the only ones left but anyone else jump in if I'm wrong.}

Pam - 84 for 84

2013-03-26 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Kate, glad your recovery is going well.  Swimming is so nice for that.

Pam, you and Ken are rocking the crunch challenge!  Way to go!  Wow, sounds like a beating with that wind.  Hope it doesn't stick around too long.

Ha, I was really surprised to make 2K yards in the pool yesterday given it was my second time in the pool this year.  By this morning I could definitely feel that my core got some work.  Hmmm....might not be feeing that quite so much if I had kept up the crunch challenge .  Short run this morning, and looks like a georgeous late afternoon here with high of upper 50's, so will ride later.   

2013-03-26 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4674223

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Late but sincere congratulations to you Kate! Way to go. Even more belated congrats to Ken for his qualification to Boston, this is HUGE (sorry, hard for me to keep up with the posts).

Alas Pam, your intuition is correct on the crunch challenge, I`m out on this one.

Great to see the group on the path to recovery.

Training is going OK for me but keeping up with the volume I set out to do is an interesting experience. Starting to get used to those 2h trainer rides but I sure wish there were more hours in a day right now!

Take care everyone.

Fred. 

2013-03-27 5:44 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Just when things look good....boom! Saw the doc yesterday about the leg/glute muscle thing and its officially diagnosed as an upper hamstring strain, in particular where the muscle connects to the bone in the hip/upper thigh area. And to get things back in working order, I'm going to go to PT 3/4 times a week the next 2 weeks to be sure this doesn't become a chronic condition, which is the docs biggest concern.

So that means a big cutback in activity for the next few days/week and the addition of strength exercies to the weekly workouts. Doc told me to stop anything until we get through today's PT session so he could judge where we are starting from with this.

I'll find out today what the actual limitations may be on activity while I am rehabbing this. Running may be completely out, but hopefuly biking & swimming are OK. I'm hoping my run/walk strategy can continue. We did have a good chuckle while talking about running yesterday as we agreed my slow running pace is likely a good thing so I'm not making things worse. He told me if I were a faster runner, I'd be on the shelf for a month or more. Slowness has its advantages.  Will update later with what is going on.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52