BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-02-22 4:19 AM
in reply to: ripariangal

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by ripariangal

I got my bike fitting today - it was great to hang out for 3.5 hrs and talk about everything triathlon! We also watched the men's olympic hockey game... I can't resist it our men played like women today and advanced to the gold metal game I will be drinking beer at 5am on sunday!!!

I ended up with a new seat, and shoes, everything feels more relaxed and Clayton had a few more tweaks to do.

Fast before far, strong before long.

I have heard this many times - what do you guys think about it? I am contemplating focusing on sprint rather than stretch to olympic this year with the focus being to actually win my age group - not just complete an olympic. It would give me more time to lift weights which for all of my complaining about the culture of bodybuilding I am really missing parts of it.

Melanie - Glad to hear the fitting went well. I found mine to be a game changer and I hope the same happens for you. As for your question about sprint versus OLY - others have given you great advice and I won't repeat it. What I would add is this - choose the distance that will motivate you. There is power in setting a goal that your mind is 100% behind. If trying to win your age group in a sprint is what will motivate you - then by all means go for it. Good luck!

2014-02-22 4:27 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

Another FTP test - those three letters strike such fear in my quads. Today's results were 229 FTP, with a LTHR of 160 - a nice improvement from my 1-24-14 test (217 / 161) - 5.5% improvement over Sufferfest, and I'm still getting over some chest congestion.

Also, had a Bell's Winter Ale with some cauliflower-crust pizza (with turkey pepperoni and nonfat mozzarella); the beer was fantastic, and the pizza was 80% as good with 1/3 the calories. A fair bit of work, but oh well.

Good on you for making these gains on the bike You are well on your way to making IMWI a reality.

God, I wish we got Bells out here in MA. Two Hearted might just be my favorite IPA on the planet. I wonder if you could slip a bottle in your luggage When you come out here to do Quassi. How was the Winter Ale? Was it overly malty or was there the "sweetness" that makes the two hearted so balanced? Finally - can I get the recipe for the pizza? Sounds like a decent way to save a few calories.
2014-02-22 4:44 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

Originally posted by Qua17

Hi all:

Yesterday was a bust in terms of working out. My hip was inflamed again from my long run on Tuesday. I'm starting to get the sense of the pattern my body follows when I push too hard/too fast and it seems like the soreness always reaches a peak 2 days after the hard workout. And it also seems like the running is harder on my hip than the biking.

That got me thinking about reexamining the way I respond after a hard workout in order to avoid injury. I'm trying to figure out the answer to these questions -
1) which is better - total rest or reduced effort on the next workout? Does swimming following a rest day actually help? Would I benefit from taking an entire week of from running/biking? 2weeks?
2) Will taking prescription doses of ibuprofen help if I take them right after a tough workout?
3) What can I do before those workouts to reduce the risk of injury? Heat? Dynamic stretching? A reverse voodoo doll?
4) How do I approach my training differently to avoid injury while still doing everything I can to be prepared for the IM in august? Would only running 2 times a week help? Would eliminating the long run for the next month help?
5) What foods can I eat to reduce inflammation?
6) What post workout stretches could I do?
7) Could the fact that I sleep on my right side have anything to do with the pain
8) Massage? Acupuncture? Moving to Canada and drinking Molsen all the time?

Sorry to keep complaining but I've got to figure this out!

On a positive note - My driver won his qualifying race for the Daytona 500 (as a Cleveland fan - I have to take what I can get). Plus - the home brew I enjoyed before, during and after the race was pretty tasty.

Onward!

I think reduced effort might be better than abstaining completely, depending on the injury. What I've learned from physio is to monitor the level of pain immediately after the workout, immediately before bed and when I wake up in the morning. If there is pain when I get up, I won't doing any activity until the pain is gone. If there is no pain when I wake up, I'll do the full workout. If I'm having pain that persists after the workout for the rest of the day (but is gone the next morning), I'll do a minimal workout the following day. I am a firm believer in the recovery workout. I think it's really bad for the body to do a good hard workout and then take a 2 or 3 day break. The pool is a perfect recovery because it gives the whole body a good stretch and is low impact.

Additionally, I've learned that short stretches (holds of 3-5 seconds) often throughout the day are better for helping muscles heal. Longer holds (30 seconds or more, what we normally would do after a workout or to improve flexibility) can hinder healing. The injured muscle 'fights' back if you hold the stretch too long (this is how it was explained to me).

To let my knee heal and strengthen the tendons and joints, I had to start back doing 3 sets of 2 and 1s (2min run, 1 min walk). I then worked up gradually to 3 sets of 10 and 1s until I was able to run a full 30 minutes (no walking) without any knee pain.

These are things that I was advised to do by my physio guy to help get over a knee injury. They might work for you as well.

Whatever you do, don't drink Molson!

Alan - Not sure what impressed me more - the solid advice about how to deal with my injury or the fact that you hate Molsen too. Seriously - I am sooo glad you joined the group because this is the kind of advice I need to make my dream of finishing IMMT happen.

I think what I am going to do is to follow your advice and wait until the pain is entirely gone in my hip. Then I want to slowly add back the different components to see if I can figure out what's causing the pain. So, I workout in 3 week rotations - 2 weeks building, 1 week recovery. Once the pain is gone, I will hop back on the bike and ride 75% of my milage from my last rotation before I experienced any pain. If my hip starts to hurt again - then I will know the bike is at least in part causing my pain and I will readjust from there. If I don't experience pain from just swimming and biking then I will slowly add back the run. I think I would start with a week of walking my workouts to see if walking more/running less would help. If I still feel no pain - I will go back to 6 miles of "running" per week week with cycles of 1min run/1 min walk and go from there.

I think I am ok with this plan because it will allow me to keep working on my swim and bike. If I can finish them in IMMT in 11 hours (which I should be able to do if I avoid injury) - then I Can walk the marathon - worst case scenario.

Does that sound right?
2014-02-22 5:46 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Alan - Not sure what impressed me more - the solid advice about how to deal with my injury or the fact that you hate Molsen too. Seriously - I am sooo glad you joined the group because this is the kind of advice I need to make my dream of finishing IMMT happen.

I think what I am going to do is to follow your advice and wait until the pain is entirely gone in my hip. Then I want to slowly add back the different components to see if I can figure out what's causing the pain. So, I workout in 3 week rotations - 2 weeks building, 1 week recovery. Once the pain is gone, I will hop back on the bike and ride 75% of my milage from my last rotation before I experienced any pain. If my hip starts to hurt again - then I will know the bike is at least in part causing my pain and I will readjust from there. If I don't experience pain from just swimming and biking then I will slowly add back the run. I think I would start with a week of walking my workouts to see if walking more/running less would help. If I still feel no pain - I will go back to 6 miles of "running" per week week with cycles of 1min run/1 min walk and go from there.

I think I am ok with this plan because it will allow me to keep working on my swim and bike. If I can finish them in IMMT in 11 hours (which I should be able to do if I avoid injury) - then I Can walk the marathon - worst case scenario.

Does that sound right?

I think that sounds like a solid recovery plan.

Have you put any thought into where you might stay at Tremblant yet? My wife and I have been keeping an eye on AirBnB(.ca). There are some reasonably priced places listed there within a few minutes of the village.
2014-02-22 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

God, I wish we got Bells out here in MA. Two Hearted might just be my favorite IPA on the planet. I wonder if you could slip a bottle in your luggage When you come out here to do Quassi. How was the Winter Ale? Was it overly malty or was there the "sweetness" that makes the two hearted so balanced? Finally - can I get the recipe for the pizza? Sounds like a decent way to save a few calories.

It was nice - solid hop notes, but nothing overpowering (though I'm not a hop-head by any means) - good mouthfeel, nice lacing, balanced - not a lot of fruit tones. It reminds me of Sam Adam's Cold Snap, but with less complexity and more harmony. Poured a nice light amber, and no real heavy malt.

There's a lot of recipes for cauliflower pizza crust on the web. Basically, take a head of cauliflower and run it through your food processor or a box grater - the goal is to get it like rice or snow consistency. Steam it (or microwave it, which is easier) for 8 to 10 minutes, until soft. Let it cool (it will be very hot), then squeeze the water out of it using a clean dish towel (don't burn yourself). Less water = better crust.

Mix it with about 1/2 c of mozzarella and an egg, plus Parmesan, a dash of salt, oregano, garlic, red pepper flake, etc. - the only important things are the mozzarella and egg. It should have a soft, dough-like consistency, but it won't stick together like a dough. Think playdough.

Bake at least 10 minutes, and maybe 15 to 20, at 450 degrees. I recommend using parchment paper or a well-seasoned pizza stone, since it will stick to almost anything else. I used aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray, and had to de-aluminum each slice.

Once the crust has gotten a bit crispy, pull it out, add toppings and cheese, and bake for another 10 minutes. I have a top broiler, so I like to finish it that way for a nice brown on the cheese. Easy on the toppings - it works best as a margherita style pizza, not a hand-tossed or deep-dish pie.

Using non-fat mozzarella and turkey pepperoni, it was less than 450 calories for half the pizza.
2014-02-22 9:48 AM

User image

Pushed out 90min on the trainer and a quick brick run. Tomorrow is a rest day and then back into the pool on Monday.

Heading to Toronto tonight to visit some friends. There will no doubt be many beers to be had.

Enjoy the weekend, all!

2014-02-22 2:03 PM

User image

New user
Thanks for the thoughts on Oly vs. sprint. I figure I will train for the Oly and if I pull back on the distance I will be set either way.

My friend who did my bike fitting qualified for World's in Edmonton in sprint. The competitive times there are crazy! It will be so exciting to cheer him on
2014-02-22 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

It was nice - solid hop notes, but nothing overpowering (though I'm not a hop-head by any means) - good mouthfeel, nice lacing, balanced - not a lot of fruit tones. It reminds me of Sam Adam's Cold Snap, but with less complexity and more harmony. Poured a nice light amber, and no real heavy malt.

There's a lot of recipes for cauliflower pizza crust on the web. Basically, take a head of cauliflower and run it through your food processor or a box grater - the goal is to get it like rice or snow consistency. Steam it (or microwave it, which is easier) for 8 to 10 minutes, until soft. Let it cool (it will be very hot), then squeeze the water out of it using a clean dish towel (don't burn yourself). Less water = better crust.

Mix it with about 1/2 c of mozzarella and an egg, plus Parmesan, a dash of salt, oregano, garlic, red pepper flake, etc. - the only important things are the mozzarella and egg. It should have a soft, dough-like consistency, but it won't stick together like a dough. Think playdough.

Bake at least 10 minutes, and maybe 15 to 20, at 450 degrees. I recommend using parchment paper or a well-seasoned pizza stone, since it will stick to almost anything else. I used aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray, and had to de-aluminum each slice.

Once the crust has gotten a bit crispy, pull it out, add toppings and cheese, and bake for another 10 minutes. I have a top broiler, so I like to finish it that way for a nice brown on the cheese. Easy on the toppings - it works best as a margherita style pizza, not a hand-tossed or deep-dish pie.

Using non-fat mozzarella and turkey pepperoni, it was less than 450 calories for half the pizza.
Wife and I are doing this bread tonight with a light alfredo sauce. Baking in oven, like a pizza bread. Should be good.
2014-02-22 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Originally posted by adempsey10

That got me thinking about reexamining the way I respond after a hard workout in order to avoid injury. I'm trying to figure out the answer to these questions -
Hi all:

Yesterday was a bust in terms of working out. My hip was inflamed again from my long run on Tuesday.
7) Could the fact that I sleep on my right side have anything to do with the pain

I think reduced effort might be better than abstaining completely, depending on the injury. What I've learned from physio is to monitor the level of pain immediately after the workout, immediately before bed and when I wake up in the morning. If there is pain when I get up, I won't doing any activity until the pain is gone. If there is no pain when I wake up, I'll do the full workout. If I'm having pain that persists after the workout for the rest of the day (but is gone the next morning), I'll do a minimal workout the following day. I am a firm believer in the recovery workout. I think it's really bad for the body to do a good hard workout and then take a 2 or 3 day break. The pool is a perfect recovery because it gives the whole body a good stretch and is low impact.

Additionally, I've learned that short stretches (holds of 3-5 seconds) often throughout the day are better for helping muscles heal. Longer holds (30 seconds or more, what we normally would do after a workout or to improve flexibility) can hinder healing. The injured muscle 'fights' back if you hold the stretch too long (this is how it was explained to me).

To let my knee heal and strengthen the tendons and joints, I had to start back doing 3 sets of 2 and 1s (2min run, 1 min walk). I then worked up gradually to 3 sets of 10 and 1s until I was able to run a full 30 minutes (no walking) without any knee pain.

These are things that I was advised to do by my physio guy to help get over a knee injury. They might work for you as well.

Whatever you do, don't drink Molson!

Alan has some reasonable sounding advise for sure...all I can add, after giving birth to babies over 10lbs I had some hip discomfort....put a pillow between your knees at night while you sleep on your side...if you haven't already tried this.
2014-02-22 5:09 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by MOlsen

Did my last run before my race this weekend: easy paced 3 miles just to keep my legs moving. Tonight will be cardio-kick to loosen up my shoulders and trick myself into some core exercise.

Ah, Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale. Back in the mid 90's that was one of the few "micro" brews readily available on tap/bottle in my area and I drank a *lot* of it in my 20's. Was a nice alternative to the malty European imports, however it's hops are considered tame by today's standards.

Hope your race was fantastic! Looking forward to the report.
2014-02-22 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Originally posted by MOlsen

Speaking of swimming, 1400m in the pool today. For some reason, of all three triathlon disciplines, despite my love of water I find it hardest to stay motivated when swimming laps in the pool. I'm working on drills so my workout has some structure to it however I find myself dragging mentally by the end.

Any suggestions?

Mark - I have the same problem. I haven't been able to hook up with a master's group - but Charles's suggestion is a good one. I hear they a engaging and can really improve your stroke and speed. I always find someone in the pool that I can race - the competition keeps me focused. Since I usually pick women in their 70's I usually win!

I hate when that happens....losing to 70 year olds!

2014-02-22 7:23 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Moderate run building to hard in the AM, the an hour on the bike at various cadences. Plus sloppy Joes for dinner, with an Innis & Gunn oak aged beer. A beer without hops kicking me in the nose! Malt and oak, vanilla - almost maple flavors. A palate-wrecker, for certain. I liked it.

A good day.
2014-02-22 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4915725

User image

Pounded back a pint of Beau's Lugtread Ale, pint of Broadhead Wildcard Pale Ale and a pint of Black Oak Pale Ale. All delicious.

More to come!
2014-02-22 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Let's spend some time talking about eating well. I know a lot of you including myself are trying to eat better in order to lose some weight. What are some issues you have with food? OR What would you like advice on when it comes to healthy eating?

Now she's considering bariatric surgery, which is a huge lifestyle change, but probably the only real, long-term solution for her. It breeds other issues t
These are hard things to write.

As she marches toward bariatric surgery, I am forced to reconcile with the lifestyle changes that will follow, and that I will have to adapt to, and need to confront my own problems. Three preliminary tests and we've hit our deductible and out-of-pocket caps for the year ( f*&^k you Blue Cross / Blue Shield), and she's done a ton of research and read a lot of books on the matter - so for all practical purposes, the decision has been made.

Thank you for your raw honesty and I hope you and your wife can manage your way through this struggle. I have found in my marriage when we have an issue when we come together to overcome we become so much closer as a team.

So here is something I had to learn that has helped me. You know the eating healthy thing but I want to reiterate what Kevin said, first his wife took care of herself then Kevin joined in on the healthy eating. He probably noticed not only the physical transformation but other positive changes in her mood and self worth.

You and your wife are only responsible for yourselves. Like a drug addict's family there is nothing you can do or say to help her kick the habit and the same goes for her and you cannot blame each other for any lapse in healthy eating. All you have control over is you. When you are ready emotionally and mentally changes will occur.

My husband was a bodybuilder competing at 6% body fat, eating a very regulated and restricted meal plan but at the time I weighed 235lbs. Eventually I have gotten down to 163 isn...over a long period of time and slow minor changes. His lifestyle and diet had no bearing on my eating habits then as they do not now. Now he eats a half gallon of ice cream himself.

Bariatric may or may not be your wife's answer, depending on where she is at it her journey. What you do and how you eat can make it easier for her but in the long run and in all honesty it won't matter. Mrs. Charles has a mind of her own and can make her own decisions on how she will lose weight...remember Mrs. Kevin? It did not matter what he ate, that did not affect her decision to do better.

Oh and one more thing...if I were to make a bet, from your post, I would bet, you ARE ready to change but just not liking it so much. Feeling forced and over whelmed because of your wife's surgery when in all honesty YOU are making your decisions. It has nothing to do with your wife. Take it one meal at a time and know YOU are the only one making any decisions about you; good, bad or indifferent.

Good luck bubb!

2014-02-22 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hey, Gang!

On the Beer Front-I bought an 18 pac of assorted 'fancy' beers from Costco; Pale Ale, IPS, Red Ale, and German Lager.  I gotta say, I'm missing my PBR.  However, of all the beers, I'm 'ok' with the IPA.  It has a bite that I like and a clean finish.  But frankly, I'm not as satisfied after drinking them. 

WorkOut!- New schedule has had some bumps.  Mostly personal life getting in the way of training, but I'll make that sacrifice most of the time.  When I get off at 0700, my pool is still closed til 0800.  Any other workout after working a mid-shift just isn't happening until we get more daylight/warmth in Idaho.  I've been moderatly successful in riding my trainer/rollers before work.  When I'm off suring the week I've been doing at least a couple 'double days'  to keep the training load up.  If I can stay about 320-350 minutes a week, I'll be good until Spring arrives.

Hope everyone is well. 

2014-02-22 11:32 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Hey guys!

FOOD:
I've found that eating healthier is much cheaper than snack food. I can go to store and stock up on carrots, cucumbers, apples, etc. and have it be less than a pack or two of Oreos.

At my given time there's none or very little snack foods in my house. I'm constantly stocked up on veggies, Clif bars, and fruit. ItS gotten hard recently as my girlfriend is a snack-a-holic with hopes to improve.

I know that every spread of Nutella, fried food, or bag of Cheetos is prohibiting my long term weight/fitness goals. I'm lucky to have a very strong will to just say "no."

TRI:
I'm very proud of myself this week. While running for the first time with a night time trail running group I turned back 2 miles early as the route was steeper than I expected and didn't want to push "too much too fast."

Also, I raced today! this was part 3 of Duathlon series, 11Mi bike - 4 run. My bike speed was 18.3 MPH, when I raced this course in December I was at 13.8! A good improvement I'm proud of. On the run I started at 9:23 and finished 8:38 running negative splits every mile with good form. I couldn't be happier with today's performance/improvement.

I'm house sitting at the girlfriends mothers. There's nothing but Coors light in the fridge. Surprisingly it's rather refreshing...maybe it's the super coldness or just the fact that I have no other choice and I deserve a beer haha. Cheers,

2014-02-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Going for a long ride today; spending time in the saddle just to get use to it again. I did a masters swim earlier this week. We had 10 X 50 to do and each swimmer got to call out the style...sometimes they would call out a kick or stroke and "NO FINS". The masters was all men and though not all could swim fast they could muscle their way through a lot faster than I could...so I had no intention of taking off my fins. I shared the lane with the odd duck running the masters....he is the older guy at your small local triathlon doing the sprint in a speedo the entire time...yeah that guy. He kept looking at me and my feet whenever they called NO FINS...whatever Linus, I am wearing my fins!

All in all it was a good session!
2014-02-23 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Got a "Vitamin D" run in this morning - had a nice tall glass of HT*U and ran outside. Over-dressed, even though it's only about 15 degrees F outside. It was nice, actually - better than the treadmill, but all the ice on the ground reminds me of why I run inside a lot.

Only did about 3 miles, but enough to justify some biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Only two biscuits, and turkey sausage . . .but still, biscuits and gravy.
2014-02-23 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Got a "Vitamin D" run in this morning - had a nice tall glass of HT*U and ran outside. Over-dressed, even though it's only about 15 degrees F outside. It was nice, actually - better than the treadmill, but all the ice on the ground reminds me of why I run inside a lot.

Only did about 3 miles, but enough to justify some biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Only two biscuits, and turkey sausage . . .but still, biscuits and gravy.

Don't worry about what your food is or isn't as in "turkey" but savor each and every bite. Have a full on relationship with what you are eating and enjoy it for what it is! You made great choices today!!!!!!!
2014-02-23 1:26 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
As we come to a new week I'd like to suggest the topic of WARMING UP & COOLING DOWN. it seems a lot of us here have recently or are currently struggling with an injury. I used to be terrible about warming up and it led to a lot of injuries.

RUNNING:
WU 10 minutes of dynamic stretching, lunges, brisk walking, and form drills
CD light walk before I get back home or to car etc. 10 minutes static stretching, sometimes short 15min yoga 20min after etc.

SWIMMING:
WU uhh...no stretching just go real slow for 200/300M in sets of 25 or 50
CD just slow easy swimming ( I should probably stretch)

BIKE
WU 5 min easy spin In small ring at lower cadence
CD 5-10 mins easy spin in small gear, 10 mins stretching

STRENGTH
WU 10 mins dynamic stretching
CD 10 mins static stretching

What do you guys do? What have you found to be successful/not helpful?

Cheers,
2014-02-23 1:32 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Back to real life at home, after a week out of the country and then ski trip with the family (downhill skiing with my 14 year old can be extenuating....good for my VO2max!).
Regarding the ibuprofen issue, it has been shown that it does not 'prevent' inflammation, so taking it prior to a long session (running, cycling...) does not work. But not only clothing is fashion-influenced, also medicine: thus, the 'trendy' thing today is that NSAIDs including ibuprofen are bad for healing. They may be in specific situations, but today it is the best antiinflammatory drug in the market. I am a obs/gynes, not orthopedic surgeon or physio, but you should not be afraid of taking it at prescribed doses for a limited time (1-2 weeks), if you need it longer you (or your doctor) should find the reason why you are suffering. Don´t trust any diet with specific medical purposes, they do not work: just eat food that you can identify what it is and that you can pronounce its name. As read in a recent book, short summary of the best diet would be "Eat food. Not much. Mainly vegetables"

Long run today (16k), thanks God RockMyRun was with me keeping me faster than I felt!

2014-02-23 8:47 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Juancho

Back to real life at home, after a week out of the country and then ski trip with the family (downhill skiing with my 14 year old can be extenuating....good for my VO2max!).
Regarding the ibuprofen issue, it has been shown that it does not 'prevent' inflammation, so taking it prior to a long session (running, cycling...) does not work. But not only clothing is fashion-influenced, also medicine: thus, the 'trendy' thing today is that NSAIDs including ibuprofen are bad for healing. They may be in specific situations, but today it is the best antiinflammatory drug in the market. I am a obs/gynes, not orthopedic surgeon or physio, but you should not be afraid of taking it at prescribed doses for a limited time (1-2 weeks), if you need it longer you (or your doctor) should find the reason why you are suffering. Don´t trust any diet with specific medical purposes, they do not work: just eat food that you can identify what it is and that you can pronounce its name. As read in a recent book, short summary of the best diet would be "Eat food. Not much. Mainly vegetables"

Long run today (16k), thanks God RockMyRun was with me keeping me faster than I felt!

Juan -
Thanks for letting me know about the use of NSAIDs.

I just wanted to ask a follow up question about concerning gluten free diets.... I've seen some researching that eating gluten free has been shown to reduce inflammation. I think I'm going to give it a try it for one month. The biggest issue I have about it is that it means giving up beer (or at least good tasting beer) but I'm willing to try it for a month. If it makes the pain in my hip go away - I'd be more than happy to wait until crossing the finish line at IMMT to have my next cold one. My question for you is - would I have to give up beer entirely in order to reap the benefits I've read about?

Thanks!
2014-02-23 10:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado

Juan -

I just wanted to ask a follow up question about concerning gluten free diets.... I've seen some researching that eating gluten free has been shown to reduce inflammation. I think I'm going to give it a try it for one month. The biggest issue I have about it is that it means giving up beer (or at least good tasting beer) but I'm willing to try it for a month. If it makes the pain in my hip go away - I'd be more than happy to wait until crossing the finish line at IMMT to have my next cold one. My question for you is - would I have to give up beer entirely in order to reap the benefits I've read about?

Thanks!

Hi David,

A pair of my friends did an experiment in college (they were roommates preparing for careers with the Navy and were both injured collegiate track athletes. They cooked together and shared every meal doing gluten free. The difference between the two? One continued to drink beer, but much less and only on special occasions while the other went 100% gluten free.

They both healed well and gained a ton of fitness. In the end they both decided to add a moderate amount of beer back into the diet as the result seemed negligible. The conclusion gluten free is slightly "better" than gluten free - beer. Anyway, one guy went of rather upset he gave up beer for a few months.

Keep in mind this guys were hardcore determined, young, moderately healthy bodies to begin with. But ridding of the vast majority of the gluten seemed to still show desirable results.

EDIT: I should mention they did this knowing their track season as sprinters/hurdles was over in a mission of providing the younger members of the team with a healthy "non doctoral" solution. They had ITB & hip inflammation/flexibility/pain issue was the case.

Edited by Brian W 2014-02-23 10:55 PM
2014-02-24 10:14 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Brian W

Juan -

Thanks!

Hi David,

A pair of my friends did an experiment in college (they were roommates preparing for careers with the Navy and were both injured collegiate track athletes. They cooked together and shared every meal doing gluten free. The difference between the two? One continued to drink beer, but much less and only on special occasions while the other went 100% gluten free.

They both healed well and gained a ton of fitness. In the end they both decided to add a moderate amount of beer back into the diet as the result seemed negligible. The conclusion gluten free is slightly "better" than gluten free - beer. Anyway, one guy went of rather upset he gave up beer for a few months.

Keep in mind this guys were hardcore determined, young, moderately healthy bodies to begin with. But ridding of the vast majority of the gluten seemed to still show desirable results.

EDIT: I should mention they did this knowing their track season as sprinters/hurdles was over in a mission of providing the younger members of the team with a healthy "non doctoral" solution. They had ITB & hip inflammation/flexibility/pain issue was the case.

Brian:

That is awesome news! What a relief! Cutting out most of my beer will have the added benefit of helping me to lose some weight... Now I just have to take the plunge...

2014-02-24 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

My question for you is - would I have to give up beer entirely in order to reap the benefits I've read about?

Thanks!

This part is where I recommend you move to Illinois and sample one of our local brews - Two Brothers Prairie Path . I'll bring some for Quassy. It's a standby beer for me - good for all occassions, and naturally gluten-free.

Going gluten-free isn't horrible - the hard part is switching cuisines. Think Hispanic or Asian (and avoid flour tortillas - but if you're still eating flour tortillas, spend the 5 extra minutes and make your own corn tortillas instead - it's silly easy) instead of typical America. Or just go low-carb entirely. Personally, from my digging, there isn't any real proof linking gluten and inflammation (unless you have celiac's). The other side of it is that, if you replace gluten with something else, the "something else" is probably better for you - sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa - all big nutritional improvements over standard white carbs.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.