Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-06-07 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2805877

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Benihana's Group - CLOSED
It looks like you have been training pretty consistently, so I think you will suprise yourself. Just make sure to start at the back of your wave in the swim, and swim around people as you need to. I made the mistake at my first race of starting at the front, and let me tell you, it was a VERY hectic experience with everyone (unintentionally) swimming over you and getting hit/legs pulled....it took a while for me to calm down, but once I did, the rest of the race was fine.

Another thing to keep in mind, is to wear whatever you plan to wear on the bike into the swim. It is extremely difficult to get any article of clothing on when your body is wet.

Take your time in transition, and remember the saying - slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

But most of all, enjoy it, and take from it as much as you can so that you will be ready for your next one in August!!

Best of luck, and let us know how it went on Sun/Mon!!

2010-06-09 11:27 AM

Athens
O.K., I didn't something yesterday that made me feel like an idiot.  I got a road bike for Christmas and had been trying to ride 6 miles at least once a week.  My best time had been 25:10 for 6 miles, which I did not think was very good.  Yesterday, my kids were in the driveway riding their bikes and my daughter needed air in her tire.  So I thought I'd check my bike while I had the air tank out.  It only had 20 PSI, instead of the recommended 100 PSI! Idiot!  After putting air in my tires I then rode 6 miles in 22:10.  It cut 3 whole minutes just by having the correct air pressure.

So Kirkland, check your air pressure and good luck on your race.

2010-06-09 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
That is funny...and a good reminder to make sure your air pressure is up as it not only slows you down, but also puts you more at risk for a flat.

Thanks for sharing
2010-06-09 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2910918

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
benihana - 2010-06-09 11:30 AM That is funny...and a good reminder to make sure your air pressure is up as it not only slows you down, but also puts you more at risk for a flat. Thanks for sharing

So yesterday I rode 51 minutes on the bike trainer and then ran a 5k to see where I'm at speed wise.  It really made me realize that I like the longer distance stuff soooooo much more.  I ran the first mile in 5:53, then 6:40, then 7:20 for the last 1.1.  the last 1/4 mile or so was uphill, but that split b/w my first and second mile seemed way off and I was struggling.  I'm not used to running short distances for speed so is this something I need to start working on?  I haven't really been doing ANY speed work, just trying to build volume.  I have had some days where I will run 5-8 with negative splits but its generally just tempo work.  Suggestions?  Any experience with Yasso 800s?  Or do I need to start doing sprint work?  My end goal is a half IM at the end of the year and this is my first tri season. 
2010-06-09 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2910994

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-06-09 11:55 AM

benihana - 2010-06-09 11:30 AM That is funny...and a good reminder to make sure your air pressure is up as it not only slows you down, but also puts you more at risk for a flat. Thanks for sharing

So yesterday I rode 51 minutes on the bike trainer and then ran a 5k to see where I'm at speed wise.  It really made me realize that I like the longer distance stuff soooooo much more.  I ran the first mile in 5:53, then 6:40, then 7:20 for the last 1.1.  the last 1/4 mile or so was uphill, but that split b/w my first and second mile seemed way off and I was struggling.  I'm not used to running short distances for speed so is this something I need to start working on?  I haven't really been doing ANY speed work, just trying to build volume.  I have had some days where I will run 5-8 with negative splits but its generally just tempo work.  Suggestions?  Any experience with Yasso 800s?  Or do I need to start doing sprint work?  My end goal is a half IM at the end of the year and this is my first tri season. 

I think speedwork is extremely important once you have the adequate base. When I ran the Twin Cities Marathon 1.5years ago the Yasso's were my main focus of speed work, but now I have incorporated 100m, 200m, 1/4, 1/2, full mile speedwork into my workout schedule.

Again, just make sure you have the base, and then focus on the speed. As far as the HIM goes, while the speedwork seems insignificant due to the event's length, it is still as important as other workouts to continue to make yourself faster
2010-06-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2911203

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
benihana - 2010-06-09 1:01 PM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-06-09 11:55 AM

I think speedwork is extremely important once you have the adequate base. When I ran the Twin Cities Marathon 1.5years ago the Yasso's were my main focus of speed work, but now I have incorporated 100m, 200m, 1/4, 1/2, full mile speedwork into my workout schedule. Again, just make sure you have the base, and then focus on the speed. As far as the HIM goes, while the speedwork seems insignificant due to the event's length, it is still as important as other workouts to continue to make yourself faster

Thanks!  I think I may wait a couple more weeks and slowly ease into it.  I need to start doing some more yoga/stretching before I get into that.

2010-06-12 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2912822

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
sounds good....if you need help figuring out a plan for the speed work, let me know
2010-06-14 9:20 AM

Athens
Kirkland,

How did your race go?
2010-06-14 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
I was thinking the same thing myself......let us know.....
2010-06-14 12:38 PM

Master
Houston, TX
had a race this weekend 1/2mi/18mi/5mi.  It was closer to an Olympic distance race than a sprint race.  I used it as a preparation race for my Olympic distance in September.  It was a great race, I really enjoyed it.

In going over the results and logging everything in and thinking back on it, I have been trying to put together a solution to a few problems I had and am looking for some help.  I felt good on the swim and the bike.  Pretty solid in fact.  Swim pace was in line with my training and I had plenty of energy left afterwards.  felt like your stereotypical sunday swim.  which was great considering the waves I had to deal with.  On the bike, I pushed it a little.  It was also in line with my training and pace and what not.  I felt good all the way up until my feet hit the ground on the dismount.  I was REAL sluggish starting the run.  I expected this and figured it'd take a mile to get my legs worked out.  At 1.5 mi I finally felt looser, but I could not for the life of me pick up my pace without shooting my HR sky high.  I didn't wear a HR monitor, but I know my RPE in relation to my HR (because I train with HR monitor) and I was at my peak.  I ran 10 minute miles which is a minimum of 2 minutes slower than I am capable of.  I shouldn't have had this kind of RPE for a 10 minute pace.  I was GASSED at the finish.  I beat my goal by a LARGE margin, but that was because of the swim.

I had no taper in training for the race, an apple, a pear, and a cliff bar for breakfast and gatorade and water during the race.  I have not trained any significant amount over the distances for this race yet except for the swim (I have more than doubled and could triple the distance).

Dilemma: was I so drained at the end of the race because a) it was just at the top of my physical ability b) no taper in training will get these results sometimes c) needed nutrition (gels, etc)  d) HTFU and get on with it.....

I have this nagging feeling that I needed nutrition during the race because once my legs loosened up I just felt like I didn't have the energy.  So I don't know if this is a training thing or a nutrition thing.  Considering my training numbers and RPE and all, I figure I burned somewhere around 2,000 calories.  I figure 450 cal breakfast, 200 gatorade, and 1,000 cal stored in my body would only be a small deficit.  What's your opinion?  I feel like it's probably a) or c) but I have no idea how to judge this.  Please help me to correct for next time, please advise??????

Edited by jgaither 2010-06-14 12:42 PM
2010-06-14 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2920516

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
1st of all, I think you had a great race, and it from the sounds of your race report, you think so as well, so I am going to approach your question/post on a "how do I become faster" note, and if I am wrong, and you wanted something else, let me know

A couple things that I noticed,

-you mentioned that you have not trained any significant distances over the race distance, I think this is a huge factor, becasue while you can do all 3 seperate from each other, putting them all together on race day is different.

- You also mentioned that you have swam 3x the swim length, and that you felt good coming out of the water, this is also becasue the distance seemed short compared to your training (exact opposite of your bike/run)

- I did not see too many brick workouts in your logs, these workouts will help your legs to remember what it feels like to run tired

- Nutrition - depending on what your normal day consists of, I think you may have under fed yourself, especially on the bike. At a minimum, I would have taken a gel 45 min prior to the start of the race, and then again at mile 15ish on the bike

Again, I think you did great in the race, and that with a couple tweaks to your race plan, the next race will be even better

Good Job!

2010-06-14 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2920750

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
What can I do to work on balance on the bike.  I feel awfully squirrelly on my bike and I don't want to go on group rides because of it and I'm pretty much terrified to be out on the road.  Alabama drivers are the worst when it comes to sharing the road with cyclists.  I grew up here so I know the point system for clipping a biker.  

Is there anything I can do to work on balance specifically or is there some type of article I could read on the fundamentals of riding that might help.  I have a really nice tri bike yet I feel like an idiot because I don't know how to ride it.  Its got me really bummed out lately.  I'm in really good shape yet I'm not getting everything out of my bike training.  I tried to go out early saturday morning for a 1 :30 ride yet when the cars on the road try to get as close to you as possible, swinging a foot one way or another at the last minute could make me road kill. 
2010-06-15 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2920981

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Sorry to hear that there are so many idiots down there. The best thing for riding, is getting out and riding. Are there times where there are less cars on the road that you would be able to ride? Are there any bike trails that you can drive your bike to, and then bike on those?

As far as things to read, you can try try googling different things, I wish I had a better answer but I don't.

Good luck, and stay safe

Edited by benihana 2010-06-15 10:34 AM
2010-06-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2922657

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
benihana - 2010-06-15 10:30 AM Sorry to hear that there are so many idiots down there. The best thing for riding, is getting out and riding. Are there times where there are less cars on the road that you would be able to ride? Are there any bike trails that you can drive your bike to, and then bike on those? As far as things to read, you can try try googling different things, I wish I had a better answer but I don't. Good luck, and stay safe

never mind

Edited by GorgeousGeorge 2010-06-15 1:31 PM
2010-06-17 12:07 PM

Kirkland, WA
Okay…sorry for the long delay.  For my first race I feel that overall things went well.  I learned a ton that will help me get things in line for my next race in the hope of improving and continuing to build my skills.  Pre-Race – Was not really sure what to do, how much to warm up etc.  I basically set up my transition area and threw the wetsuit on.  I did warn up a bit in the water before the race to try and get used to my suit, but more on that later The swim-  After my warmup I was feeling pretty good although I did have some nerves that was shooting my heart rate waaay up.  I started near the back of the pack as there was about 20 of us that seemed to keep moving backwards as the rest crowded the start line.  After the start I paused a few seconds to let the main group get a bit of a lead and started in.  About 3 strokes in I found myself so short of breath that I could not swim properly.  I had no ability to put my face in the water and swim like I had done for so many hour leading up to the event.  I think there are some obvious causes for this.  When you combine first wetsuit swim with first open water swim and first race…something is bound to get fouled up.  I made it though the distance with terrible form and mainly focused on not drowning rather than actually swimming.  My terrible form with my head bobbing from side to side in an effort to take in air made me incredibly dizzy upon exiting the water.   I had to take a full minute before I could even enter T1.  The Bike- One my head was a bit less scrambled I got into a grove on the bike but found myself pushing much harder than most of my training rides.  I think I need to really build up the intensity of my rides.  My legs felt good although I was limited in some regards and was not able to push my average past about 18 mph for the race.   The course was not difficult and was dead straight so with some more power I should have been able to push more on the flats.  The run- I think all of the activity caught me a bit and I don’t think I consumed enough, early enough in the race.  My times were slow and I was pretty gassed (I think a function of pushing on the bike and maybe a little from the overworked swim) but overall I was able to finish.  Overall my largest problems were with my heart rate.  I did not wear the monitor but I could tell I was maxed on the swim and run.  I think my air on the ride was about right, my legs just needed more energy to be able to push larger gears.  I have not really focused on this much so it’s not a huge concern and with some intensity, maybe starting with my shorter rides each week I think will help a bunch.  I think they cumulative effect along with some better caloric intake early will help the run by proxy.  Sprint, .5 mile swim 11 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.  And my times…. Swim     16:11.1   T1           2:35.4Bike       37:14.8T-2          1:23.7Run        25:31.9Total      1:22:56.9
2010-06-30 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2928178

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
TriKirkland - 2010-06-17 12:07 PM Okay…sorry for the long delay.  For my first race I feel that overall things went well.  I learned a ton that will help me get things in line for my next race in the hope of improving and continuing to build my skills.  Pre-Race – Was not really sure what to do, how much to warm up etc.  I basically set up my transition area and threw the wetsuit on.  I did warn up a bit in the water before the race to try and get used to my suit, but more on that later The swim-  After my warmup I was feeling pretty good although I did have some nerves that was shooting my heart rate waaay up.  I started near the back of the pack as there was about 20 of us that seemed to keep moving backwards as the rest crowded the start line.  After the start I paused a few seconds to let the main group get a bit of a lead and started in.  About 3 strokes in I found myself so short of breath that I could not swim properly.  I had no ability to put my face in the water and swim like I had done for so many hour leading up to the event.  I think there are some obvious causes for this.  When you combine first wetsuit swim with first open water swim and first race…something is bound to get fouled up.  I made it though the distance with terrible form and mainly focused on not drowning rather than actually swimming.  My terrible form with my head bobbing from side to side in an effort to take in air made me incredibly dizzy upon exiting the water.   I had to take a full minute before I could even enter T1.  The Bike- One my head was a bit less scrambled I got into a grove on the bike but found myself pushing much harder than most of my training rides.  I think I need to really build up the intensity of my rides.  My legs felt good although I was limited in some regards and was not able to push my average past about 18 mph for the race.   The course was not difficult and was dead straight so with some more power I should have been able to push more on the flats.  The run- I think all of the activity caught me a bit and I don’t think I consumed enough, early enough in the race.  My times were slow and I was pretty gassed (I think a function of pushing on the bike and maybe a little from the overworked swim) but overall I was able to finish.  Overall my largest problems were with my heart rate.  I did not wear the monitor but I could tell I was maxed on the swim and run.  I think my air on the ride was about right, my legs just needed more energy to be able to push larger gears.  I have not really focused on this much so it’s not a huge concern and with some intensity, maybe starting with my shorter rides each week I think will help a bunch.  I think they cumulative effect along with some better caloric intake early will help the run by proxy.  Sprint, .5 mile swim 11 mile bike, 3.1 mile run.  And my times…. Swim     16:11.1   T1           2:35.4Bike       37:14.8T-2          1:23.7Run        25:31.9Total      1:22:56.9

Congrats on the finish TriKirk!  I like reading about everyone's first race, because I'm clueless as to pace and how much I should push it.  My first is 2 weeks from Saturday and I'm a little anxious .  I have the legs to finish, but am a little terrified whats going to happen when I get out there.

2010-06-30 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
My suggestion for everyone's first race is to swim at a comfortable pace (a little faster if you want, but not all out), bike at a reasonably comfortable pace (again, a little harder if you would like) and then let it all hang out on the run. Make sure to start the run at a comfortable pace, but by the midway point you should have picked it up a little, and then there should be plenty in the tank to finish strong.

Keep in mind that most of us crazies do LOTS of these races, so there is no use in getting a Ambulance ride in the middle of your first race becasue you pushed yourself to hard. There will most likely be more races down the road and once you have the first one under your belt, you will know how your body responds, and what pace/effort you can push it to

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
2010-06-30 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2954032

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Thanks for the advice!  I posted this in another thread, but would like some feedback from you guys as well If you have the time...

I've never competed in a triathlon before, but have done a few marathons.

For training purposes, how quickly do you need to go from Bike to run to consider it a brick workout? 
I rode at a state park because its the only place in this city with a bike lane (i kid you not) and I've only been riding for about 2 months and am a little worried about balance in traffic.  However, the bike lane is so beat up you have to ride in the road.  Ironic huh? The trail is on a mountain so you can imagine its quite hilly, so I definitely didn't want to run hills too.   Anyway, by the time I got home and changed and on the pavement, it had been 25 minutes. 

I did 36 miles (2:20) on the bike and 13.1 (1:48) for the run.  It took me just over 4 hours..  Anyway, my half marathon was about 18 minutes off of my stand alone.  I wasn't racing or anything, but I doubt I could've gone much faster.  I kept a comfortable pace, because every time I slowed a little I got some minor cramps.  I'm 19 weeks from the Half Ironman.  Swimming is coming along ok, and I think I have the legs to complete the bike and run.  Obviously I'm not very fast on either.  Should I start to incorporate some speed work?  I'm not looking to win or anything like that, but I want to be the best I can be.  Or is it smarter just to continue building volume and the speed will eventually come?

My flexibility is abysmal!  What type of class should I take and how often? (Yoga, pilates, etc.)  Should I replace the "strength training" days in my plan with something like this or find the time to do both?

TIA!
2010-06-30 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2954047

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

For training purposes, how quickly do you need to go from Bike to run to consider it a brick workout? - As quick as possible. I would reccomend nothing more than 5 minutes if possible. You could always stash you bike back in your car and then go for a quick run (3-5 miles). Be careful in doing that long of a workout (mostly the run portion of the brick) You really just want to get your legs moving, I would say 6-8 miles would more than give your legs enought time to figure out what they are doing, and the rest of the milage should be doable based on your training

Should I start to incorporate some speed work? - Yes, but no more than 1x/week per discipline. Most popular is the run, and doing half mile repeats. get a good 10-15' warm up , and then start with 3-4 repeats (1/2 mile fast/1/2 mile at your warm up pace), then repeat. Each week, add 1 more repeat

My flexibility is abysmal! What type of class should I take and how often? - If you feel a class will keep you motivated, then I would reccomend Yoga, but I try to stretch after each workout, and that seems to be enough. You could always work on stretching for 10-15 minutes before you go to bed each night in addition to after each workout.....that will most likely be moer than sufficient
2010-06-30 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2954069

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
benihana - 2010-06-30 3:33 PM For training purposes, how quickly do you need to go from Bike to run to consider it a brick workout? - As quick as possible. I would reccomend nothing more than 5 minutes if possible. You could always stash you bike back in your car and then go for a quick run (3-5 miles). Be careful in doing that long of a workout (mostly the run portion of the brick) You really just want to get your legs moving, I would say 6-8 miles would more than give your legs enought time to figure out what they are doing, and the rest of the milage should be doable based on your training Should I start to incorporate some speed work? - Yes, but no more than 1x/week per discipline. Most popular is the run, and doing half mile repeats. get a good 10-15' warm up , and then start with 3-4 repeats (1/2 mile fast/1/2 mile at your warm up pace), then repeat. Each week, add 1 more repeat My flexibility is abysmal! What type of class should I take and how often? - If you feel a class will keep you motivated, then I would reccomend Yoga, but I try to stretch after each workout, and that seems to be enough. You could always work on stretching for 10-15 minutes before you go to bed each night in addition to after each workout.....that will most likely be moer than sufficient

Well, I had a long run of 10 planned for the week, but since I was biking I decided to only do 5 and if I felt good I would do the whole 10.  Once I got to 10 I thought "might as well get a time for a 1/2 mary and see where my fitness level is".  Do you ever run in your biking shorts, if only going 3-5 miles? 

We had talked before about helping me with some speed work on the run.  I had mentioned Yasso's.  This is it right?  I'll get started next week!

I do dynamic stretching before workouts and static stretching after.  I guess I could incorporate some stretching before bed time, but that usually gets me all wired up again and I can't sleep.  To give you an idea of how bad it is, when I did physical therapy from Jan- Mar.  My therapist at Andrews Clinic said I was the tightest individual he had ever seen.  Its bad.
2010-06-30 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2954114

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Yes - All bricks are done in the same clothes that I biked in....figure I am going to be doing it in a race, might as well make it as close as possible

As far as Yasso's, that is correct

If the stretching gets you wired, then do it before dinner, or after you get up in the morning....basically some specific time where it can be the same each day....after a couple weeks of doing it, it will become a routine

2010-07-06 11:46 AM

Master
Houston, TX
I've seen some posts on here about "run slow to run faster" and I have l never looked into it, but after some consideration and rethinking how I'm training, I wanted to get some advice and clear some questions up in my mind.  I guess the important part is my GOAL.  My Goal is to do a a HIM in Sept of 2011.  so roughly a year a way.  Not concerned about time for the first one, just finishing.  My training strategy thus far has been just to increase distance steadily until I get there and hoep that enough.  And I think that's probably a pretty sound, simple, and safe strategy (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, here).  But the "rethinking" part is this; I do have a goal of hitting an IM after that, I just have no time line for it right now and I'm not 100% committed it yet.  I am "rethinking" the base that I am going to build right now and I think regardless of whether I will or won't eventually do an IM, I want to have the strongest foundation possible.  So if that means delaying my distances a little in order to have the strongest foundation possible, then so be it.

Question 1: What is the concept/practice behind "running slow to run fast"?  Is this a base building exercise?  Does it apply to the bike too?

Question 2: In regards to building a strong base, I was thinking "let's get the distance down this year and then work in the strength training next year."  Is that an acceptable strategy or should I do weight training from the start?

disclaimer:  at the moment I run and ride as fast as my body will comfortably take me for what ever distance I go.  So a five mile run will be at a 9:30 pace and a 2.5 mi run will be at a 8 min pace.
2010-07-06 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2963490

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
It sounds like you have some pretty solid goals laid out for your self, and having those will always be a great first step.

As far as the run slow to run faster idea, the main part is to build a really good base like you are talking about, so that your body is used to the miles and then to layer on some speedwork, and tempo runs.

Think of your body like a book of matches, the harder you push yourself, the faster the matches burn, and the quicker you tire out. On the flip side, the slower you go, the longer distances you can cover with out your body breaking down. For instance, take a look at your stated paces....if you wanted to run 10 miles instead of 5, you owuld slow down a little more, and you would be able to make it through the run (assuming that you had an adequate base to build off of)

So in answer to your questions

Q1 - Yes, it is essentially a base building excersise, but one that most training plans will continue to have you do during all phases of the plan. Yes, the same principals can be applied to the bike and the swim

Q2 - Weight training will be different for everyone, and even those who are writing the plan. I currently do not do any weight training during the season, and will layer in SOME weight training during the off season, but ther has not been any specific link to weight training, specifically heavy lifting, being more beneficial to the muscle groups that are used for the 3 different sports we try to excel at. So, take my advice for what it is worth on the weight training, but my suggestion would be to put the time that you would normally spend lifting back into your weakest sport (for me it would be swimming) and realize the gains that way.

Let me know if that helped or if there are more questions
2010-07-07 9:09 AM

Master
Houston, TX
yes, thank you, that is helpful, so let's take it a little more specific.  I'm using the BT Olympic 20 weeks 2X balanced plan.  I basically work out the amount of time/s they say (except for the swim, I just go to class) and it will go as per the below:

short run - HR zone 3 - 4  (usually around 30 min +/-)
long run - HR zone 2

short bike - HR zone 2 (usually around and hour +/-)
long bike -  HR zone 1 - 2

I guess my question is would it be better for me to drop it down to zone 1 and just go as long as I can or drop it even lower?

FYI, you mentioned intervals a while back so I have started to work them in on the bike on short days going from zone 1/2 to zone 3 in roughly 2 minute intervals.
2010-07-08 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2965373

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
I think you could get to zone 1-2 for the long run, and work on running longer. But again, make sure to SLOWLY ramp up your miles, otherwise you risk an overuse injury. The rule of thumb is an increase week over week should be no more than 10% (time/distance)

As far as the intervals on the bike, I would say you could push yourself a little harder, and get up to zone 4. See how that feels for a few times, and then if you can, push it up to zone 5. Remember, the intervals are SUPPOSED to hurt, and are designed to make you faster

Let us know how they go
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Benihana's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5