Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-01-16 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1862005

User image

Ann Arbor,MI
Subject: RE: Tee Cris' Group - CLOSED

What's your ride?

I got this Lemond Rennes last season. I used my mountain bike for my first tri season. Once I knew I was going to continue, I decided to invest in a real tri bike. I really like that it is aluminum. Since I'm a little heavier than your average triathlete, the stiffness is nice. I was able to cut almost 10min off of the same course from the year before on one of my races.

My Lemond Rennes

2009-01-17 3:10 PM

User image

West Chester, PA

Here's my new-to-me vintage ('92) Cannondale R500.  Picked it up for $395 and it's in PRISTINE condition.  Should be more than adequate for my first couple of seasons.

KD

2009-01-19 7:34 PM

User image

West Chester, PA

OK, so I took a day off today to nurse my knee and my belated-holiday-party-with-the-inlaws hangover (bad knees and good scotch are a perfect match)...

...but where did everyone else go???  We know Todd is traveling, and Tom and I have resorted to trading stock photos of our rides, but is there anyone else still out there???

KD

2009-01-19 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey, I'm back kinda.  Meaning at a computer with a few moments of free time that is. 

In looking at a few logs it looks like we may have lost a few people.  I'll try to add a custom photo tomorrow to really get things going around here!!

I'm attempting a run/swim double tomorrow before I am off for another few days.  After that I will be back and ready to get consistent.  Anyone with me or am I going to be fired as mentor guy? 

2009-01-22 12:28 AM
in reply to: #1917227

User image

Ann Arbor,MI
TeeCris - 2009-01-19 9:12 PM

Hey, I'm back kinda.  Meaning at a computer with a few moments of free time that is. 

In looking at a few logs it looks like we may have lost a few people.  I'll try to add a custom photo tomorrow to really get things going around here!!

I'm attempting a run/swim double tomorrow before I am off for another few days.  After that I will be back and ready to get consistent.  Anyone with me or am I going to be fired as mentor guy? 

Hey Todd - I'm still here. I will be out of town from now until Sunday. Ski trip to northern MI. In addition to a ton of skiing, I hope to hit the gym at least once, maybe twice.  Also, I signed up for one of my races - The Motor City tri. It's on June 14th in, well, the Motor City - Detroit. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

Tom

2009-01-22 9:42 AM

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

40 min Crossfit before leaving for the slopes. Rock on!

Tom

2009-01-22 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1922199

User image

Expert
Chicago
Gooooooooood morning!

I had a mini hiatus dealing with some stuff at work. And my training was NIL.

Woo.

Okay.

But...I did get up before work this morning to do a strength training video since the treadmills in our building were taken...and my arms feel like jello. Seriously. My armpits hurt. I'm not amused. Washing my hair was a challenge.

At any rate...I can't find a decent picture of my trusty steed in my online album, so this one will have to do. It's a 2006 Cannondale R700 Femme. Clearly, I wasn't fitted for aero position at this point. I still need to get my new saddle up and going and since this photo was taken I had some new wheels put on...I suppose I should probably rescue my bike out of the bike room and get it on the trainer. ...that should really be my goal for this weekend. As you can tell...our condo is small, so the bike takes up a good chunk of space...

From Blog Slideshow

I'm quite enthusiastic about the looming Ironman training, but I'm nervous to really do a lot in my "off season" because I tend to suffer from burn out midway through the training. How do you guys cope with that?
2009-01-23 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Gooooooooooooooood morning everyone!

What's on tap for you today?

This chick is headed to the pool tonight. I haven't been in the water in months so it'll be interesting to see how much technique and form that I've lost. I imagine I'll only do something like 1000 yards, but it's better than nothing. I'm sending my masters insurance forms in today, too...so soon I'll be part of the Chicago Masters Swim Club and avoid working out at the stank public pool that we go to in the meantime.

Should be interesting!
2009-01-24 3:38 PM

User image

West Chester, PA

Yo!!! (That's Philly speak for you)

Picked up some new running shoes today (asics gt-2140's) at local running store - was able to run on them first on a tread, and what a difference!!!  Will check back in tomorrow after my 'long-run-day' on my current sprint plan - hopefully the knee pain is history!!!

Barb, good to have you back!!!

KD

2009-01-25 7:06 PM

User image

West Chester, PA

Well, new shoes were the trick - ran 5K today with no problem with my knee!!!

KD

2009-01-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1928215

User image

Expert
Chicago
kevind92 - 2009-01-25 7:06 PM

Well, new shoes were the trick - ran 5K today with no problem with my knee!!!

KD

That's awesome Kevin!! Glad to find the new shoes were just what you needed.

We JUST found the dvd last night (seriously had to tear the place apart! ...which was good because after Friday night's swim I clearly need a refresher). I'll keep you posted as to when I get it in the mail!

I'm hoping to hit the pool up again tonight. And assuming I get to bed early enough, I'll either do that crazy cracked out yoga class again, or the 30 day shred video tomorrow morning. Not sure which yet.

2009-01-27 6:52 AM

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

Alright - I'm back after 3 days of skiing. Good times had by all. The older boys have no fear and are scary good after two years, and we got our 3yr old on skis for his first time. He loved it. It was a great vacation.

So this morning I hit the treadmill for 40 min. at about a 9:30 pace. I felt good most of the way too.

Tom

2009-01-27 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran

Hey there everyone, I'm back.  I was also on vacation for the last 5 days (Disney).  I should have logged the walking miles with my Garmin and maybe then I wouldn't feel so bad for having all the days off.  I brought my clothes and Garmin but they saw no action.  I did however make it out for a run ast night to get back at it.

Barb, you asked about the burnout factor.  I think the 20 week plans exist for that reason and my 20 weeks to CdA starts next week.  Anything longer and it becomes hard to focus and maintain intensity.  Since my marathon in mid-December I have been training with no structured plan and doing what I felt like doing.  This comes after having followed a few specific plans for most of last year and it felt good to just do what I wanted to do.  

This is my first IM but the few facts I've read that make sense are to always make sure you can start the next session feeling rested.  If that means cutting a workout short or skipping a workout then so be it.  The long S/B/R sessions each week are key sessions.  They shouldn't be missed and you should be fresh for them.  I like having a plan each day so I usually don't face the burnout of "having"  to swim, bike or run.  I am also fueled a lot by fear.  I am not looking to do anything more than finish (time to be determined) but I think alot about race day and how I want to feel.  I know I'll be beating myself up on race day if I haven't trained properly.   

If it's mental fatigue I've found that getting out the door when I might not feel like always gets me into it after just a few minutes of activity and I'm glad I went.  If it's physical fatigue it's probably best to rest and come back the next day.

2009-01-27 2:39 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
We seriously lost over half our group.

Todd, a 20 week training plan isn't so much realistic for me. I'm going to begin working with my coach in March I believe. I'll end up with an 8-9 month plan. 20 weeks to prep me for an IM just isn't going to cut this BOPer.

Anyone doing any training camps or anything this year? I'm looking at WIBA in late June...and maybe the St. Louis Enduracamp if I can swing it financially.

Kevin, my husband said he's dropping the DVD off at the post office today. So hopefully you'll have it soon.
2009-01-27 8:59 PM

User image

West Chester, PA

Hopefully the mia portion of the group is training like crazy and too tired to type... essentially how I feel after each swim (thx again Barb for the help!!!).

The comments about a 20 week plan are interesting - I started a 16 week plan on 1/5 with the intent on doing my first tri on 4/28 - I then changed to a later race to avoid an open water swim in frigid waters for my first tri - thx Todd for the prompting me on that one.

So, I'm not sure what to do:
- Stop my current plan and focus on swimming (where I really need help) & maintenance run/bike
- Finish the plan; maintain for a while; do my first tri; then decide about Olympic
- Finish the plan and then start a Sprint to Olympic bridge, and just do my Sprint in the middle

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks,
KD

2009-01-27 10:32 PM
in reply to: #1932771

User image

Veteran
kevind92 - 2009-01-27 8:59 PM

Hopefully the mia portion of the group is training like crazy and too tired to type... essentially how I feel after each swim (thx again Barb for the help!!!).

The comments about a 20 week plan are interesting - I started a 16 week plan on 1/5 with the intent on doing my first tri on 4/28 - I then changed to a later race to avoid an open water swim in frigid waters for my first tri - thx Todd for the prompting me on that one.

So, I'm not sure what to do:
- Stop my current plan and focus on swimming (where I really need help) & maintenance run/bike
- Finish the plan; maintain for a while; do my first tri; then decide about Olympic
- Finish the plan and then start a Sprint to Olympic bridge, and just do my Sprint in the middle

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks,
KD

Man...I certainly didn't mean to delay the start of your season!  I'm in Texas and we have a couple of pool swim sprints in March and April to get things kicked off.  Anything like that up there? 

As far as the question about the plan goes I think it will be personal preference.  I would choose option 3 and am interested to see what others say.  If you like the routine and the training and the structure of a plan you'll be more than ready for your sprint and you'll have a ton of confidence once you get to it.  You'll also appreciate the base you're building now when it comes time for the Oly.  There's no reason you can't put some extra length into your swim sessions during this sprint plan if you want to focus on that area.

Again, that's me.  I like having a structured plan to take the thinking and guessing out of it.  I'm also flexible enough to not freak out if I miss a session or two or three along the way.  At the end of the day consistency is rewarded in this sport.  Do something on a consistent basis and you'll be on your way.

2009-01-27 10:39 PM
in reply to: #1932026

User image

Veteran

RunningJayhawk - 2009-01-27 2:39 PM We seriously lost over half our group. Todd, a 20 week training plan isn't so much realistic for me. I'm going to begin working with my coach in March I believe. I'll end up with an 8-9 month plan. 20 weeks to prep me for an IM just isn't going to cut this BOPer. Anyone doing any training camps or anything this year? I'm looking at WIBA in late June...and maybe the St. Louis Enduracamp if I can swing it financially. Kevin, my husband said he's dropping the DVD off at the post office today. So hopefully you'll have it soon.

Maybe they'll return, but by looking at their logs it doesn't seem like it will be soon.

I'm not sure I have an answer to the burnout question if you're embarking on an 8-9 month plan.  Hopefully, it will be solid base work for a while and the intensity will then pick up as you get closer.  This is my first go round at IM so I may be wishing I did something more but I just couldn't get into it earlier and expect to keep my focus or drive.  Keep hanging out here and log your workouts here too so we can keep you motivated!

2009-01-29 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Will do. I'm terrible at logging, but I honestly haven't done anything much this month except focus on eating healthier. I actually think I'm starting to come down with something again. My body is fighting something off, that's for sure. I'm hoping to get back into the pool again tomorrow night and finally get my bike set up this weekend (i know, I've been talking about doing that for a while now...argh).

Today my sister in law confirmed that she was able to use her discount on a hotel for us in Tempe. Talk about a buzz of nerves that just sort of jolted me!!! It's a great location...right at the swim turn around and close to the run course.

Nothing else very exciting is going on right now though...
2009-01-29 8:22 PM

User image

West Chester, PA

You certainly didn't delay anything - your mentoring paid off and made me look more realistically at what I'm up against.  There are a few of the pool swim sprints around, but are most over before I anticipate that I'll be able to swim far enough in a sprint distance w/o drowning

Considering I'm really enjoying the structured nature of training/working-out according to a plan, I do like the idea of choice 3 - continual base building.

Barb, along these lines, perhaps a HIM plan then a HIM to IM Bridge (16 weeks each) is the way to go to provide some variety and hence avoiding burn-out???  Also, hope the plague that descended on my house a few weeks back didn't travel out you're way!!!

KD

2009-01-30 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
I'm looking at something along those lines, Kevin. I've been trying to get my coach to call me back but he's been doing a ridiculous amount of traveling. Blah. I really just want to get everything ironed out on that front.

I've apparently been cursed with the bike. I went to set it up on the trainer Thursday night only to have 2 flats. On top of it, our pump is apparently broken and my husband had a conniption fit when I went to use our last 2 CO2 cartridges to fill 'em up. So today Mike (my hubby) bought a new pump...I go to fill up my tires for a ride tonight...and the stupid nozzle thing has a crack in it and air leaks out too quickly to fill it.

So...I'm still bikeless at the moment. But I went and got 1500 done in the pool tonight. After about 900 yards I really felt like I was getting my groove back. Woo!

Also Kevin...let me know when you get the DVD.

In other news, my masters swim insurance stuff is in the mail so soon I'll be able to get a proper rear-kicking by a collegiate coach and ex-Olympian (woo!).

AND...we're joining the Chicago Tri Club next month (if, for no other reason, than to get 20% off my monthly personal coaching services).

Hey Cris...how many century rides (and 70+ rides) does your plan have you doing before CdA? Just curious.
2009-01-31 6:37 AM

User image

Ann Arbor,MI

Hey Guys,

I haven't been loggin my workouts. :-( I will realy try to make sure I do. Today I am going to a Media Ski Challange for Special Olympics. A lot of fun, goofy skiing, some great food, a little bit of beer and raise a ton of money. Tomorrow I hope to run in the morning and maybe even try to get the bike on the trainer before watching the Super Bowl. GO STEELERS! (My wife is from Pittsburgh and I spent 6 years there after college.)

Have a great weekend!

Tom

2009-01-31 11:35 PM

User image

West Chester, PA

Hi Everyone, another swim q - I just noticed that there is a Total Immersion workshop here in Philly next weekend - in your experience is the $495 for two days worth it?  I searched the forums and it appears to be a 50/50 split on those that think it is vs. those that think it's better to take the money and space out private lessons.

Thanks,
KD

PS - Barb, didn't get the video yet, will keep you posted.

2009-02-01 6:29 PM
in reply to: #1939533

User image

Expert
Chicago
kevind92 - 2009-01-31 11:35 PM

Hi Everyone, another swim q - I just noticed that there is a Total Immersion workshop here in Philly next weekend - in your experience is the $495 for two days worth it?  I searched the forums and it appears to be a 50/50 split on those that think it is vs. those that think it's better to take the money and space out private lessons.

Thanks,
KD

Argh...still not yet? I'll double check with my hubby when he goes home for the date he sent it.

Personally, I think that is insanely steep for 2 days worth of a class. You could take that money and get 5+ individually coached classes by a TI instructor for less than that. I think that one on one would have more benefits than a workshop environment, but that's my two cents.

Are there any tri clubs or masters groups in your area that offer classes? I was able to find a 10 week class here a few years back for $250. It included underwater taping and really focused on breaking down the stroke (the instructor later came to be our tri coach).

While I don't doubt that the class could really help you, I want to make sure you explore all of your options before committing to dropping that much money in any one place. Just my two cents!!

In other news...I got a really good run in today. Only 4.4 miles and 2 of those miles were spent navigating through downtown Chicago and getting stopped at traffic lights, but all in all it wasn't too bad (except for a handful of annoying icy patches). I figured the temps were in the mid-30's for the first time in a half dozen weeks, so I was going to take advantage.

You have no idea how excited I am the the extended forecast shows temps in the mid-40's next weekend!! Which means I can run in shorts!!! WOOHOO!!!!!
2009-02-02 10:53 PM
in reply to: #1939533

User image

Veteran
kevind92 - 2009-01-31 11:35 PM

Thanks,
KD

I have no experience with either but I think that sounds really steep.  I would opt for the private lessons unless you heard REALLY great things about the workshop which it doesn't sound like you found. 

2009-02-02 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran

Well today was easing into Day 1 of the IM journey with a 45 min swim session.  It is going to be a long road and hopefully one that I can have fun with.  Some of the weekends look pretty daunting.

Barb, I think there are 5 rides of 4 hours plus.  The last is a 6:30 bike with a 30 min run following.  Anyone want to come along?  Looks like May 9th.  Make your travel plans now!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tee Cris' Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7