Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2008-05-20 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1372061

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Subject: RE: Gnu's Group - CLOSED
Sorry to double post but, I learned a little something on my bike ride today. I know alot of new riders talk about riding in aero and not feeling comfortable. I am pretty balanced but realized I was coming out of aero even for easy corners and turning so I decided to practice this a little and have done a few circles of the block for this. My bike path goes right by a cemetary and I thought that it would help. I is filled with tons of corners and is relatively empty most of the time. Just thought I would pass this on to maybe help someone else.

2008-05-20 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1414784

User image

Wow wipate that sounds horrible!!! I hope the road rash heals quickly for you.
2008-05-21 5:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Will, I'm really glad you did not get hurt, that sounded like a pretty nasty crash.  I can't believe no one would help you!  That's dissappointing.  Good thing the bike isn't damaged either. (See, stories like that are NOT making me any more thrilled about the biking aspect of this whole tri thing!  I need help getting over that!)

Mike, Gary put some good swim info above about getting faster.  Sorry your coach bailed on you at the last second.  Another thing I would add to the "getting faster" category would be learning to roll with your freestyle stroke.  It is SO much more efficient than not doing it, and once you learn to roll it's a ton easier to learn bilateral breathing.  Rolling helps you get more out of each stroke and reduces that feeling of "fighting" the water.  Get the hang of it and you'll feel like a knife thought warm butter before long! 

2008-05-21 7:01 AM

User image

Regular
Wilmington, NC

Don't let the bike scare you. Despite what happened I can't wait to get back out and start riding again. Freak accidents happen, this sport is no different than any other. We take bigger risks by getting in a car and driving down the street, and I guarantee that more people have been injured and killed in car accidents than in bike accidents. Don't let fear get in the way of enjoying something you love doing, I'm certainly not going to.

2008-05-21 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hi everyone,  sorry I have not been around.  I have been way to busy and actually feeling sorry for myself not being able to do my training. It had become such a big part of my life since I first started in October that not being able to do anything has been really disappointing.  I am happy to say that I am getting better thanks to a great physical therapy regime and stretching.  It was a huge accomplishment to be able to ride even for a few minutes on my bike without pain and to get back to swimming some laps. I am still not allowed to run but I am able to walk and can do that without pain for longer distances.  I am definitely looking forward to continuing down the road to recovery and want everyone to make sure to get into the habit of STRETCHING!!

I do have to go back and read through all the posts everyone has made on this forum.

Thanks to everyone who posted inspires for me.   It has kept me going during those bad days.

2008-05-21 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Wow, it has been quite a day since yesterday afternoon. Way sorry to hear about the crash, glad all is OK. The first one is an eye opener, it actually makes you more aware. Just be glad you got the lesson without breaking anything.

Very unprofessional of that swim coach, that is unacceptable and I do not blame you for telling them not to bother. Bright side... better to find out sooner than later though.

Glad to see we are having lots of posts and more and more people are joining. I know some people are getting close to their Tris (some in June, some in July). We need to discuss Transitions, I will put something together. I have learned that transition is organization and concentration, not physical ability, so that works out well for me. Look through some results of local tri's and look at transition times, it amazes me to see some people at 54 seconds and others at 5 mins. Uhhhh, in a Tri with a 5k at the end, 4:06 is like 1:20/mile difference on your run pace. What do you think takes less work, shaving 4 mins off your transition or running 1:20/mile faster?? Nuff said!

2008-05-21 9:58 AM

Southern California
wipate sorry to hear about the crash. It sounds like you weren't hurt to badly. I just don't understand people at times; I too had a crash a couple of years ago and several people rode by without stopping or even asking if I was ok.
2008-05-21 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Some pictures of my battle wounds!!

(bike 6.JPG)

(bike 2.JPG)

(bike 5.JPG)

(bike 3.JPG)

(bike 4.JPG)

(bike 1.JPG)

(bike 3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bike 6.JPG (34KB - 17 downloads)
bike 2.JPG (34KB - 21 downloads)
bike 5.JPG (34KB - 23 downloads)
bike 3.JPG (36KB - 14 downloads)
bike 4.JPG (34KB - 16 downloads)
bike 1.JPG (33KB - 19 downloads)
bike 3.JPG (36KB - 20 downloads)
2008-05-21 5:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
1 word - OUCH!!! Glad you had your helmet on. Any marks on that?
2008-05-21 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Holy !  Ok, this is where I lecture you as a mother (and EMT) to take good care of those wounds!!  Keep really clean, covered, lots of antibiotic ointment (did the ER give you some?).  And take it easy on the training until they scab/dry up some!  Glad you're ok though, that's most important.
2008-05-21 5:41 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Wipate...let me start by saying I am sorry for two things. One, sorry you crashed that sucks and it puts a serious damper on training and two, I must admit that when I first read your post I kinda thought you sissed out a little by going to the ER. Now that I have seen the picks, I would have driven you there myself. Man you got some serious road rash. I have worked motorcycle accidents that are not nearly as bad as that. Take nichole's advice and keep those clean. That is prime for some serious infection.

2008-05-21 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
Wilmington, NC

I appreciate your guys concern. I consider myself very lucky. Luckily there are no marks on the helmet so I didn't hit my head, I caught myself with my hand and thats why it looks so bad. Thank you for the motherly advice, the EMT in me has come out as well, I've scrubbed it, put ointment on and changed the bandages 3 times so far. It is starting to look better.

I work for the fire department and called a coworker to come and pick me up. When we got to the firestation (thats where I park to go for rides) we called EMS and had them drive over and check me out. They said that with as much debris that was in the wounds it would be best to just go to the ER and let them get it cleaned out. I ride right along the beach so I had a lot of sand that was visible in my shoulder.

But once again thank you for your concern and kind words, I really do appreciate it. I feel very lucky and will be back good as new before too long. Just looking forward to getting the bike back and getting back out there. Not going to let an accident keep me from doing the sport I have grown to love.

2008-05-23 9:36 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Well, how is everyones trainging going. Things have been good for me. I have 7 days from tomorrow to my first race ever. Starting to get nervous. I am just thankful that it is a short race and especially glad that it is a short swim.
2008-05-24 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Wow one week!  Good luck Mike!  Are you going to taper this week? 

Wanted to share my small victory today!  Last week I struggled to finish 5.5 miles on the bike in 35 minutes.  SAD!  Today, same route: 28 minutes!  Changed my pedal stroke and it has made a WORLD of difference.  Felt so good I added another 2.2 miles too!  Feel like the pieces finally fell into place for me on the bike.  

I am getting my road bike next week; I can't wait to see how having a bike that's half the weight and has toe clips does for my time!! 

2008-05-24 8:51 PM

User image

Wow Nichole - that is awesome! The road bike should help as well but it sounds like you are well on your way in improving your bike skills. Keep up the great work!

This afternoon was my first EVER openwater swim!!! The weather was crappy - 64 degrees was the air temp and the water temp was below 60. Thank goodness for my rented Xterra wetsuit!!! I have one word to sum up the experience - SCARY!!!

I was terrified. I had butterflies in my stomach the entire way to the lake and then I paniced when my face hit the water. Not to mention there was a warning posted to "Swim at your own risk" and "do not ingest the water due to bacteria levels". I think this sign is always there but it still made me nervous. I think I swallowed a few tablespoons of water while we were there. Hopefully, I don't start to feel queasy later.

Due to the fact that I paniced and started to hyperventilate a bit I stuck to swimming in water that was not over my head. I wimped out. My husband was doing fine but I wasn't about to venture out into water over my head so I wouldn't let him do so either. The wetsuit was warm but my movement was more restricted and getting into any sort of a rythym was difficult. I was only able to swim about 25m at one time without stopping. I did notice that it was really easy to float with the wetsuit on. I just need to learn how to calm down and swim. We will head to the lake at least 2 more times before our race on 6/8 and hopefully by then I will feel a bit more comfortable.

I also managed to sneek in my first real brick workout this morning. We swam at the pool first then came home and I hopped on the trainer for a bit then hit the treadmill. This went really well.

Edited by jhinrichs11 2008-05-24 8:54 PM
2008-05-28 9:47 PM

User image

Wow this group has been quiet for quite some time. Is everyone ok?

Wipate - how is the healing up coming along?

Edited by jhinrichs11 2008-05-28 9:48 PM

2008-05-29 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Yep it is quiet!  I just got back from vacation so I was MIA.  But back at it today, heading for a swim at lunch.
2008-05-29 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
I have been missing for a while as well. Trying to get work things finished up for the long weekend away for my first race, which kinda forced me to taper for the race. That is the excuse I am giving myself. I am leaving for the beach today for the race and I will probably do a couple OWS. This will be my first swims in the ocean, for training of course. Nothing like being prepared huh. I have done some lake swims as of late so I am not too worried. Hope I can make up some time on the bike and run. Good luck with everyones training.
2008-05-29 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

You must be getting pretty excited Mike!  Hope the race goes well for you!

My bike arrived via UPS while I was on vacation.  Woohoo!  My friend is putting it together for me Saturday, I'm so excited to see how a road bike feels! 

2008-05-30 10:39 PM

User image

Good luck triguynewbie. I am in awe of those who can swim in the ocean. I can't manage not to hyperventilate in a tiny lake in the middle of Iowa!

Nichole, what kind of a bike did you get and where did you get it from? If I find out I like this tri thing I think a bike upgrade will be in my near future.
2008-05-31 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Here's my new bike:

new bike may 2008

Got it through Bikes Direct. Totally basic, nothing fancy.  But it fits me great and is so much lighter than my beastly mountain bike!  I'm taking it for a spin today, I think it's going to suit me well! 

2008-05-31 1:41 PM

User image

It looks great. Let me know how the first ride goes.

Is swimming your strong suit? I really need some help. I don't know why I am so slow!

Edited by jhinrichs11 2008-05-31 1:42 PM
2008-05-31 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Hey guys, sory I have vanished. As you can see from my logs, I went to Jamaica. Did none, zip , zero training, it was AWEOME!!!! Did get some diving in, which was nice. I love nice, warm , clear water. Did a wreck dive and a reef, it was... refreshing. I also ate alot and drank alot. Best of all, I got enganged, which made it the best vacation!!

As you can also see, since I have been back I have been training like a fiend, so I have not had time to post.

Mike, good luck in Maderia Beach, hope it was an awesome race!! Would have loved to been there doing it myself, but the long ride trumped it. The ride was for a cause, Moffitt Cancer Center, so that is good also.

Nice bike, you are going to love how much better it feels than the mountain bike. As I said before, as long as it fits. A $5000 bike that does not fit is not half as good as a less expensive bike that fits. I spent 3 seasons on a bike I bouth for $400 on eBay, it was awesome.

Smart trying the wetsuit out first. Many people do not. It takes a little while, very different feeling. As far as having panic attacks and hyerventilating, I have found it is much easier to swim when this does not happen ;-) Just make sure you do not swim alone, the more the merrier. Relax, do not push it. Maybe go to a pool with the wetsuit and get to that part. OWS and wetsuit all in one session is alot. Once you get used to it, you will fly!!!

Well that is all I have for now, will post more this week. I am exhausted and need to sleep. Look forward to the race logs!

Gnu
2008-06-01 5:56 AM
in reply to: #1435176

User image

Maryland
Nichole,

What a BEAUTIFUL new bike! Do you have a name for it? What kind of shoes are you wearing to bicycle? I'd been wearing running shoes, but had a problem with my toes going numb so I got a pair of cycling shoes, but I still use the toe clips on my bike (even though I could go clipleas with the shoes).

Again, a truely beautiful bike!

-s
2008-06-01 1:19 PM

User image

OWS #2 ever was this morning and it went much better. I do have a question for those on here though.

Is it a good thing to try to get some water into the space between your wetsuit and your body right away when you get in the water? I have heard yes as it will keep you warmer - supposedly the water gets trapped and warms up right away. I have also heard no, as you want as much air in there as possible to help with floating. I haven't done anything besides get in the water and swim.

Speaking of swimming, today I made it about 400 yards before I started having troubles with getting water up my nose. It seems like that comes in waves. I either have absolutely no problems or I can't keep it out. What is up with that? What am I doing wrong?

Oh and on another side note, wetsuits rock!

Edited by jhinrichs11 2008-06-01 1:23 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gnu's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13