BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gnu's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2008-08-24 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1372061

User image

Subject: RE: Gnu's Group - CLOSED
At 10 am this morning I officially became a triathlete! WOOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a blast!

And get this - I actually enjoyed the swim. Amazing. Who would have thunk it!

I wil say this though, those girls who do these races are way better athletes on average than the ones I've seen at any of the running road races I have competed in. I've finally figured out there are very few casual athletes in triathlon.

I learned a lot today that I hope can help me out as I prepare for future races. I need to run faster in training. There is no reason I can't run a 5K faster than I have. I need to shake myself out of my comfort zone and go faster.

I also realized can swim decently. I'm not great but if I relax throughout a whole race and don't do the first 200 meters so slowly I think I could finish with a decent time.

I'm not sure we will squeeze in another race this season. Attending Nebraska Football game occupies most of our fall weekends. GO HUSKERS!!!

Good luck to all of you with races remaining this season.

2008-08-25 5:12 AM
in reply to: #1624857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Congratulations on finishing your first race!  It is a great feeling for sure. 
2008-08-25 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
That's great news!  Congratulations, triathlete!  Glad you liked the swim, you worked hard to get there. 
2008-08-26 9:41 PM

User image

Rookie question for you all: How do you cross items of of your goal list on your blog? Also, I can't upload any pictures because they can't be a very big file size. How to you decrease the size so you can upload pictures?

Thanks for your help!
2008-08-30 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

For the photos, you'll have to resize them using some sort of photo editor.  Whatever you have on your computer should have a resizing option. 

For the strikethrough, it is an option along with bold, italic, and underline on the font.  Just like when you are posting.  Just go into your goals and highlight what you want to cross off and click the strikethrough font little "icon."  Hope that helps! 

2008-09-01 7:53 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Hey congrats on your race. You are a triathlete!! So glad you overcame the swim. I see that you still have not crossed out anything on your goals list so I will give you a way to do it.

right before the text you want to cross out type it < s > and after < / s > Take out the spaces. I only added those so the computer would not recognize it and just strike through my text and hide the command. Like this. Also if you want to bold it substitute the s or a b. And to make it red italalics or the sarcasm font put [ sarc ] before and [ /sarc ] after. Again removing the spaces.

Again great job.

2008-09-01 9:56 PM
in reply to: #1642165

User image

Thanks Mike - I couldn't find any font options. I wonder why I don't have them. It would be cool to do things in different colors and such.

Edited by jhinrichs11 2008-09-01 9:57 PM
2008-09-02 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  I am 25 days away from my second ever tri and unfortunately probably the last for the season.  I am excited and have been able to ride the bike course a couple of times now.   It is more like a bike tour course - lots of turns but I don't mind since I am not very fast anyone.  As of now, I am one of two registered for athena category so I might medal (haha) as there aren't more than 1 more to sign up between now and the race.  It will probably be my only chance at getting the podium at a race.  We will see.

I have learned that I pedal too much with my toes and need to focus more on keeping my feet flexed.  On Sunday after riding the course, we had the pleasure of the RD for my upcoming tri meet us to show us the run course. I was in so much pain in my shins that I had to stop several times to stretch. I had a really hard time running.  I had the same problem in my first race and it does ease up after about a mile.  Someone suggested getting clipless pedals (right now I use toe clips) but the guy at the bike shop today said it is more a form thing than a pedal things.

Either way, I am looking to make the change. I have sort of narrowed down my selection to speedplay light actions or Shimano SPD PD m520.  They both have their pros and cons but I do have to keep in mind that whatever I get needs to be friendly to my knees.  I welcome any suggestions, advice, comments, etc.

Thanks!

2008-09-02 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Clipless pedals are on my list for next season.  I'll be curios to see how they help.  Good luck with the continued training...yay for podium possibilities!!

I also have one last race left this coming Sunday, and I am SORELY unprepared for it.  But I know I'll be mad if I cop out on my last chance to do a race for next, oh, 9 months or so.  *rolls eyes*  A coworker of mine is doing it too, and she kinda wanted to bale too, but we both are just going to do it.  I knew August was going to be bad for training, so I'll just have to accept what I am capable of and forget about what I am lacking in.  I guess.

2008-09-03 5:06 PM
in reply to: #1642462

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
jhinrichs11 - 2008-09-01 10:56 PM

Thanks Mike - I couldn't find any font options. I wonder why I don't have them. It would be cool to do things in different colors and such.

To turn on the fancy stuff like pretty fonts and text:

Go to your Control Panel....
Scroll down to: "Use rich edit box when composing messages?
Change the option to "TinyMCE Editor"

And to turn off the fancy stuff:

Go to your Control Panel....
Scroll down to: "Use rich edit box when composing messages?
Change the option to "No"

Hope that helps.

Nichole good luck on your race. I got hurt at work last night and ended up with some cracked ribs and a sprained wrist. I was worried before about my race now I am contemplating a DNS.
I can't imagine not doing it becuase I spent $150.00 to get in already and I am cheap enough to race through the pain. We will see when I try my scheduled century this weekend. Right now it hurts to take a breath so I am hoping for some quick heeling in a day or so.

As far as clipless pedals go I think they are invaluable. They make me so much more efficient and I can go a couple miles an hour faster just by concentrating on pulling on my upstroke. To me it is like free speed without any more energy use. I like my Look style pedals because they have a big platform and it helps me with not getting foot pain. The speedplays are easier to clip into because there is no up or down and you can clip each side. You have to flip my Looks over to get the right side up to clip in.

I don't have any experience with the SPD style so can't give any insite there.

GOOD luck to all. Hope things are better for you than me right now.
2008-09-04 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Take it easy for a while Mike; I don't think cracked ribs are going to heal any faster than any other broken bone.  I understand being in a quandry about the race but I think you should just go easy and see how you feel before you decide what to do.  Hope you're feeling better soon!

2008-09-06 2:14 PM
in reply to: #1647328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Ouch Mike. I read on your blog what happened. Sounds VERy scary.  Glad that you are okay, despite some broken ribs.   I cannot imagine trying to swim with cracked ribs.  You should definitely give yourself some time to heal.

Will the RD refund part or all of your fees if you contacted him/her about what happened?  Maybe you could get a credit for a future race?  Take care of yourself and again, glad you were not more seriously injured.

2008-09-06 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1644821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Good luck on your race tomorrow Nichole.    If you go with the intention of just having fun and enjoying yourself,  I am sure you will come away without being disappointed.   You can use it as a guide too for what you want to focus on during the off season.
2008-09-06 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hurray, I bought clipless pedals yesterday.  I ultimately decided on the shimano spd pd-m520's which are dual entry so I can clip in on either side.  REI had them for $50 and I had some stuff to return to the store which is why I bought them there.  I did find them at EMS.com for $47 total with shipping but wanted them now, not waiting for shipping.

I also bought cycling shoes at a LBS but could not find mountain bike shoes that would fit right so I ended up with Specialized Spirita road shoes.   Now to figure out how to use them.  It is pouring outside and besides my bike is at a different LBS until Tuesday who works on older american bikes.  For me to be able to use the clipless pedals, I had to change the crank from one with a 1/2" spindle hole to a a crank with a 9/16" spindle hole.  I was extremely excited to find Harris Cycles online had a one piece crank for older american bikes that would work.  While it is not ideal, it was inexpensive alternative to purchasing expensive components. I am hoping to buy a new road bike next year so need to make this one work for while without a huge investment.

2008-09-06 2:32 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia

I am going to take it easy for a while.  I tried to just keep up with my training and it wasnt so bad in the water.  I had to modify my stroke a ton because I cant really pull with my left arm but it was working.  After I got out and especially when I tried to go to sleep I realized what a mistake it was.  The race is to benefit colon cancer, which my FIL who I was very close to lost his life to.  I am racing in his name.  If it is at all possible I will race.  Even if I just have to limp through the entire thing.  I have several sponsers to help raise money and they are incentive based.  The better I finish the more money I raise so I am very motivated to do this.  Right now swimming hurts more than it did right after I got hurt and the constant pounding of running is out of the question.  I am taking a few days rest and then I am going to try to ease back in.  Even if I DNS I would just consider my entry fee a donation and maybe try to put it towards next years race, not sure.

Thanks for the concern.  I will probably post the pic of my car in my blog a little later but be warned it is pretty scary when looking at it to think that i just got a few cuts and two broken ribs.  Well it is to me.

2008-09-06 3:13 PM
in reply to: #1655177

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Mike, I can completely understand the commitment now to the race.   Hopefully taking a little time off will help you heal enough to be able to make it through the race.  I wonder if your sponsors will up the donations when they hear you are competing with broken ribs? 
I will keep an eye out for the picture. Again, I am very relieved that you were not more seriously hurt.  

2008-09-16 2:46 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Well guys my little green square is ever quickly approaching. I have been training through the pain and feel confident that I can make it through the race. I have been swimming quite a bit and that is the hardest on my ribs and also my weekest link so my confidence is up there. I am mainly worried about the run now. The constant pounding of running is killer. I don't know how long it should be to fully recover but I do know that the Doc told me no training for 6 weeks. I hope my doctor is not a BT member with privy to my logs cause I don't think I have been exactly following his orders. I think I have slowed my heeling down by overtraining but I would rather prolong the pain a little and still finish my race.

I went to Disney this past weekend to ride the bike course. It was crazy with all the traffic but I made it for the most part. Today is my last training day then I will taper for the week.

Hope all is going well for everyone. How is everyone doing. Our thread kind of fizzled out. I do know that I have dropped from 15% body fat pre tri training in March/April to 9% the other day. That and I have gained about 8 or 9 pounds. I train and race for the competition but the fringe benefits are nice.
2008-09-17 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1677993

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hey Mike, I have one of those little green squares moving closer and closer too.  Glad to hear you are feeling like you can make it through the race. I know how important the race is to you.  Just make sure you don't hurt yourself more in the process. 

Will the course be closed for the race?  If not, I would hope they can control the traffic enough to make it safe.  Congratulations on the BF loss.  I hope to be able to report the same sometime in the near future.   I have quite a bit more to lose but at least I am losing again.

I have had some great training sessions of late and feeling really confident for my upcoming race.  I have gotten clipless pedals and fell once and almost fell a second time.  Got some pretty bad bruises on my legs as a result but luckily did not break or really hurt anything.  I had an amazing swim session yesterday - swam 1150 yds non-stop (total of 1450yd for session) and could have kept going if I had the time.  I am also happy to report that I was able to run/walk combo 5k twice now without pain in my shins/calves.  I do have to make sure to take a couple of minutes to stretch but figure it will save me so much time in the long run because my pace is quicker.  My goal for the off season is to improve the run.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Anyone else have races coming up?  Maybe we have to start a new group outside the mentor program  so we don't get archived.  Anyone interested?

2008-09-24 8:06 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Well I made it through my race. Not exactly as competitively as I wanted but I finished and that is something I wasn't sure about after getting hurt. How is everyone doing. I have been trying to recover from my race for a few days but man are my legs sore. I don't think I will ever skip an ice bath again.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gnu's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13