General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-01-22 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1834081

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course : Official Thread
Sorry to hear about the wheel, Joe (bet I know the pothole you hit).

I was gonna say, "Time for swim and run, I guess," but then I saw you're rehabbing from knee pain. One of those weeks, it seems...the universe may be telling you to relax, perhaps. You'll be fine, though--you've got more than three months to train before you even start to think about tapering.

2009-01-22 11:29 AM

User image

Bummer.   Can you fix a cracked rim? 

Front or rear?  Performance is having a sale right now, can get their forte front wheel for <$100.

2009-01-22 3:10 PM

New user

ChrisM,

You're right!  I won't be able to get there before Friday so I'll just be dry camping it I guess.  It's not too bad as long as I can fill up with water somewhere before we park.  My trailer holds a lot of water so it doesn't do well to haul the fresh water full.  Is there much room to camp there?  Would bringing a trailer be out of the question? 

2009-01-22 5:02 PM

User image

I've seen large RVs driving around Friday afternoon and night looking for places, but never done it myself, so can't say.  Or to the water question.   May end up in overflow camping.  I've only ever gone up Fri a.m. with a tent so that's all I can really comment on

Edited by ChrisM 2009-01-22 5:03 PM
2009-01-23 7:11 AM
in reply to: #1922515

User image

Elite
in front of my computer duh!
ChrisM - 2009-01-22 9:29 AM

Bummer.   Can you fix a cracked rim? 

Front or rear?  Performance is having a sale right now, can get their forte front wheel for <$100.

Unfortunately you cannot fix a cracked rim. and lucky me it's my rear rim. The front rim is pretty bent but the guy down at my LBS said he can get it mostly true but it won't be perfect, so I am looking around for a decent wheel set. Just have to make it one or 2 more paychecks and I should be good (fortunately I get paid weekly). The knee is feeling much better today and yesterday I even went on a short 5k jog on a dirt track (my idea of preparing for the wildflower trail run ) I am thinking as far as the running goes that I should be back to 100% by mid next week! I am hoping to find some rims in the next week as well so hopefully by the end of next week I will be back to training hard for WF.

BTW honestly how bad is that hill at mile 40 of the bike (think its called steep grade?)
2009-01-23 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1924295

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

joemac3 - 2009-01-23 5:11 AM 

BTW honestly how bad is that hill at mile 40 of the bike (think its called steep grade?)

Heh, nowhere near as bad as the hill at mile 5 or 11 of the run.

2009-01-23 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1924708

User image

Elite
PGoldberger - 2009-01-23 7:55 AM

super just what I wanted to hear Man this sounds like a tough first HIM
2009-01-23 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1924848

User image

joemac3 - 2009-01-23 8:40 AM
PGoldberger - 2009-01-23 7:55 AM

super just what I wanted to hear Man this sounds like a tough first HIM

Heh.  Paul's about right.  Honestly, Nasty Grade comes at the end of a lonnnng flattish/even downhill section.   It's not Nasty that'll get ya.  It's the hills after it.  I can't remember Nasty in particular, but I am thinking it's sort of like Stunt Road if you've ever been up that, but shorter, and perhaps slightly steeper.  It definitely wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

2009-01-23 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1924295

User image

Master
San Francisco
if you train regularly on hills, you won't find nasty grade that bad.  I too thought it was the hills afterward in the last 7 miles that were more troublesome because of the cumulative fatigue at that point.  I also did Wildflower as my first HIM 2 years ago.  You'll survive.  You know what you're getting into from all the feedback from everyone here (and read RRs of others).  It'll be a blast.
2009-01-23 3:03 PM

User image

I agree with Chris and Donato that the rollers past the Bee Rock store suck more than Nasty grade.  However, they'd be a lot easier to ride if you didn't climb Nasty first, and the more efficiently you do the big hill, the better the later ones are.  Also, consider who's telling you that Nasty grade is just a "hill."  Donato thought Lanzarote was a walk in the park, and Chris climbs 3000+ feet in the Santa Monica mountains regularly.  Don't just "train hills" regularly.  Train long steep hills (mountains) regularly.  If you are going up continuously for at least 30 minutes, and the grade is greater than 5%, it's a good training "hill" for this course.
2009-01-23 3:48 PM

User image

Just found this googling around.  A bit of a Kuota sale promo video, and hard to see how steep hills are on video, but it'll show the surroundings.  Haven't watched the full thing, sounds like there are some tips on how to ride it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1imGsSCcUU

Edited by ChrisM 2009-01-23 3:49 PM

2009-01-23 7:59 PM
in reply to: #1925888

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
ChrisM - 2009-01-23 1:48 PM

Just found this googling around.  A bit of a Kuota sale promo video, and hard to see how steep hills are on video, but it'll show the surroundings.  Haven't watched the full thing, sounds like there are some tips on how to ride it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1imGsSCcUU

...yet, somehow, they managed.

(After watching that, I don't feel quite so pleased with my 500' in 2 miles climb today...How soon is this race again...?)

Thanks, Chris...I think...
2009-01-30 12:50 AM

User image

Expert
Alright. I'm in! Looking forward to meeting some BT folks. My biggest worry at this point is all the camping logistics.
2009-01-30 6:12 PM

User image

Elite
Thats why I caved and did the hotel thing! I love camping but got a great deal that ended up being only $5 more for the hotel. I know I miss out on some stuff but I also have people coming to support me (family got to love them - the only people I know who dont also participate in the sport that are willing to drive several hours to stand around all day and see me for 1 minute 2 time and then wait for me to finish) and I figured it would be easier for all if I did that.
2009-01-31 1:48 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
13 weeks to go.

Big bike day today...61.6 miles with about 2300' of climbing. It's not been ideal for my wallet only working 32 hours instead of 40 the last 8 weeks, but it hasn't hurt my bike training having Fridays free for riding--I'm a bit ahead of schedule--so I can't complain too loudly.

Hope y'all have a great weekend!
2009-01-31 10:57 PM

User image

Yup, rode Irvine to San Diego today with LA tri.  Because it's a mostly flat route, we climbed Torrey Pines twice to emphasise the climbing.  10K race (run) tomorrow.

2009-02-03 7:17 PM

User image

Elite
I am getting behind on my training. I have so many editing projects to do all by the end of this week that I think I am pretty much going to do a small training week this week and an extra large one next week. Then level it out. Hope I am not going to end up under trained for the race. By the way, I saw pictures of the run in swim start. Looks easy to get trampled. I am a really strong swimmer (compared to the other sports, and can hopefully finish my swim in approx 37 minutes.) However does anyone have any advice as to how to start the swim without being killed?

Played water polo for 5 years, so used to abuse but the middle of that thing looks ridiculous. is there a timing chip mat at the water edge (allowing me to start at the back because my time doesn't start till I hit the mat) or does everyone's time start at the starting gun? Thanks for all the support for this race. This is my first HIM and the largest race (number of competitors) I have ever done.
2009-02-04 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1944248

User image

Master
San Francisco

joemac3 - 2009-02-03 5:17 PM

However does anyone have any advice as to how to start the swim without being killed? Played water polo for 5 years, so used to abuse but the middle of that thing looks ridiculous. is there a timing chip mat at the water edge (allowing me to start at the back because my time doesn't start till I hit the mat) or does everyone's time start at the starting gun? Thanks for all the support for this race. This is my first HIM and the largest race (number of competitors) I have ever done.

Train like this  

Seriously, if you played water polo, you're better off than most.  Wildflower has wave starts so it's not as crowded as some events.  You'll be fine.  Most everyone is respectful and contact is only incidental.

2009-02-05 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1944248

User image

joemac3 - 2009-02-03 5:17 PM I am getting behind on my training. I have so many editing projects to do all by the end of this week that I think I am pretty much going to do a small training week this week and an extra large one next week. Then level it out. Hope I am not going to end up under trained for the race. By the way, I saw pictures of the run in swim start. Looks easy to get trampled. I am a really strong swimmer (compared to the other sports, and can hopefully finish my swim in approx 37 minutes.) However does anyone have any advice as to how to start the swim without being killed? Played water polo for 5 years, so used to abuse but the middle of that thing looks ridiculous. is there a timing chip mat at the water edge (allowing me to start at the back because my time doesn't start till I hit the mat) or does everyone's time start at the starting gun? Thanks for all the support for this race. This is my first HIM and the largest race (number of competitors) I have ever done.

I've done the swim 3X.  Around 31-33 depending.  Started far left, middle and far right.  By far the best line is far right.  It is a straight shot to the first buoy.  Far left or middle, you get stuck having to swim thru the pack.

there is a mat at the start, but everyone starts with the same time (wouldn't know who to run down/is running you down otherwise if everyone had different times).  About 100 or so in each wave (at least from memory)

On the way back, the shortest line is NOT on the buoys to your left.  There is a left hand dogleg at the end, so unless you have a killer draft on the buoy line, the best place to be is as far left as they will allow. There is a fuel dock with a big orange buoy marking the turn to the finish,  You want to hit that right on.  And don't start sprinting even tho the finish looks close after the turn, it's a bit deceiving and you still have a bit to go.

2009-02-09 3:11 PM

New user

2 buddies and myself are bringing my toy hauler up from San Diego and are really looking forward to the race and the weekend in general.  I haven't posted many times here but it would be nice to meet a few BT members that weekend.  My toy hauler is a Weekend Warrior FS2300 pulled by a white F-150 and I'll be proudly flying the American flag.  Stop by and say howdy sometime.  I'll even share a brew if there's any left.

2009-02-25 6:51 PM

User image

Bump.  Just about 9 weeks WF peeps.  What's that, a couple builds, a couple recoveries????  yikes   

I hired a coach to help me reach my time goals but not sure I hired her soon enough!  Need more hills in my diet.

Oh yeah, she said I shold find a WF-like course this weekend and ride about 3.5 hours... here's the funny part, not going any higher than Zone 3 (which is 156).  My sides hurt from laughing so hard

2009-02-26 12:57 AM
in reply to: #1982177

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
ChrisM - 2009-02-25 4:51 PM

Bump.  Just about 9 weeks WF peeps.  What's that, a couple builds, a couple recoveries????  yikes   

I hired a coach to help me reach my time goals but not sure I hired her soon enough!  Need more hills in my diet.

Oh yeah, she said I shold find a WF-like course this weekend and ride about 3.5 hours... here's the funny part, not going any higher than Zone 3 (which is 156).  My sides hurt from laughing so hard

Won't be this weekend (18 mile run...brief interruption for marathon training with my wife) or next (doing the IronBruin tri)...but I'll probably be doing 3 1/2 hours with bunches of hills the following weekend. Not in your neck of the woods, though...likely riding around the Valley with a side trip up Lopez Canyon.

What about chowing down on some hills on the run? Chesebro trail half mary's on my plate for 3/28. I think registration's still open...
2009-02-27 1:21 PM

User image

Yeah, just got a 1:50 run on my training plan for next week, coach says "let's throw some hills in there...."
2009-03-09 1:23 PM

User image

Bump..... 8 weeks away.   How're them hills coming along?????  
2009-03-09 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2006572

User image

ChrisM - 2009-03-09 11:23 AM Bump..... 8 weeks away.   How're them hills coming along?????  

Well, I have more than 20,000 feet of them in the last 4 weeks, which also included encounters with the Tour of California, the Ventura firemen, and the California Highway Patrol.  Heading up to Lake N. to ride and run the WF course itself in a few weeks and am hoping it's something of a cakewalk compared to what I've been doing...

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Wildflower Triathlon - Long Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9