2008-12-19 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1863667

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- OPEN
gadgetlaw - 2008-12-19 11:10 AM
dalessit - 2008-12-19 7:41 AM

I have a job where I am bored a good part of the day waiting for meetings to start so I will be here all the time : )

My job on occasion is like this too!! We'll have to see who is here more!

Can't help you with the bike question, but I'm sure someone else here can... 

One general question.  Does anyone ever have problems with the logs?  For some reason I can't log my workouts from my home computer - the page always freezes and I have to restart my computer.  Any thoughts?

Scott - I can see your logs.  Good workouts!!

Karen 

On your workout logs at home.... I think it has to do w/ your COLOR SCHEME?  Are you running VISTA?  I have the same issue, but it doesn't kill the computer.  It just freeze's for about 30 seconds, then it goes to the log (I have just accepted it, and expect it).  Again, not a computer guy by any means, but with a wife that works at Microsoft she has rubbed off on me.  Mess around w/ your color scheme a bit?  I run windows XP at work, and have it color at "32 bit" and seems to work ok for me here.  Hope this helps a little.

2008-12-19 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1862948

User image

Pro
dalessit - 2008-12-19 6:04 AM

Ok, have a question for everyone.

As some of you know I am in the process of building up my new bike. Well actually I haven't started the actual build process since the frame is a christmas present, but I am buying all the parts now as I find deals here and there.

When it comes time for the fit my plan is to get the headset on, not cut the steerer tube and put on a cheapie stem.  My thought is that during the fit process I want them to be able to choose a stem to put on based on the fit + I would be afraid to cut if my fit needed me to be a bit higher for some reason.  Once I get the fit right they would cut the steerer tube for me.

Does this make sense?  Also I really don't want to do the cutting myself so I would just have them do it.

Tony buy a cheaper stem, or use a temp until you get fitted, then buy the proper fitting one.  It is easy to switch the them out even w/ the bars, gears, wires, etc. 

OR take your stem off your old bike and duplicate it.  However A TRI fitting biking is much different fit than a road bike.....

2008-12-19 3:38 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
Good afternoon to everyone! Had a great swim today. I took a total immersion workshop over the weekend and really had a good experience. I mentioned in my bio that i first learned to swim last summer when training for my first tri. The coach for the swim was a TI coach so she tried to get me to relax, breathe and gave me various drills to do to get proper body position, etc. I bought the dvd and read the TI book and did lots of drills this year while training for my oly, and the 2 sprints. Well, oly was kind of a suffer-fest, read my race report for Auburn if you want some entertaining reading...2nd to DFL...and here I thought I had improved! My two sprints after that were actually pretty decent swim legs...I was not hanging out with the kayakers much. So, after 170,000 yards of swimming this year, I was feeling comfortable in the pool and able to swim 2000 yds straight albeit slow 46 minutes...I signed up for the clinic to try to improve my efficiency and body position...I learned SO much! Like how my legs were kicking madly when I would begin to sink, which would just slow me down...or how my head was pointing too far down which would make my rotation to breathe cause me to slow down...Anyhow, today's swim felt great and my stroke count is at a consistent 18-19/length instead of 23-25 before the clinic. Just wanted to share. Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Oh, BTW, when I copy and paste the spreadsheet to my goals section, only the names pop up but the ability to click on the member's name goes away...any hints on how to do this?

Thanks!
2008-12-19 4:02 PM

User image

Pro

Ok, to all that are about to start their weekend, or have already started---- HAVE FUN, and ENJOY!  I am a big fan of good laughter, good wine, and good friends!  Be sure to cherish each one of those!  It is important to your healthy lifestyle which you are all now LIVING!  Take life all in!  Cherish it!  Remember it!  Enjoy it!

Also the weekends give you an opportunity to push yourself beyond your comfort zone.  Whether it be you ran your longest run EVER, or you went skydiving!! Do it!  Try a new adventure.  It always makes you a stronger person!  I can't tell you how many times during a race when I am suffering I think of all those days that I PUSHED MYSELF!  "If I did it then, I can SURE AS HELL DO IT NOW!"

For me I think that I am going to try and get the mountain bike out, and bike through the street's of a foot of snow, ice, wind, and cold temperatures.  Might be stupid, WILL BE FUN, but when I get home and am sucking down a Jack and Coke sitting by the fire.... I can do nothing but smile!  Give it a shot (whatever your adventure may be... MAKE ONE UP!). 

Have a great weekend everyone!  Stay safe, stay warm, stay dry, and STAY HAPPY!

What monstrous absurdities and paradoxes have resisted whole batteries of serious arguments, and then crumbled swiftly into dust before the ringing death-knell of a laugh!

Edited by swbkrun 2008-12-19 4:02 PM
2008-12-19 4:09 PM
in reply to: #1863978

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

kt65 - 2008-12-19 3:38 PM Good afternoon to everyone! Had a great swim today. I took a total immersion workshop over the weekend and really had a good experience. I mentioned in my bio that i first learned to swim last summer when training for my first tri. The coach for the swim was a TI coach so she tried to get me to relax, breathe and gave me various drills to do to get proper body position, etc. I bought the dvd and read the TI book and did lots of drills this year while training for my oly, and the 2 sprints. Well, oly was kind of a suffer-fest, read my race report for Auburn if you want some entertaining reading...2nd to DFL...and here I thought I had improved! My two sprints after that were actually pretty decent swim legs...I was not hanging out with the kayakers much. So, after 170,000 yards of swimming this year, I was feeling comfortable in the pool and able to swim 2000 yds straight albeit slow 46 minutes...I signed up for the clinic to try to improve my efficiency and body position...I learned SO much! Like how my legs were kicking madly when I would begin to sink, which would just slow me down...or how my head was pointing too far down which would make my rotation to breathe cause me to slow down...Anyhow, today's swim felt great and my stroke count is at a consistent 18-19/length instead of 23-25 before the clinic. Just wanted to share. Hope everyone has a great Friday! Oh, BTW, when I copy and paste the spreadsheet to my goals section, only the names pop up but the ability to click on the member's name goes away...any hints on how to do this? Thanks!

Really nice job on the swim improvement.  And don't apologize for 2000 yards taking you 46 minutes.  I would love to be able to do that!  One day.....

2008-12-19 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1863667

User image

Master
Small Town
gadgetlaw - 2008-12-19 2:10 PM

One general question.  Does anyone ever have problems with the logs?  For some reason I can't log my workouts from my home computer - the page always freezes and I have to restart my computer.  Any thoughts?

Scott - I can see your logs.  Good workouts!!

Karen 

Karen, it sounds like it could be a problem with your Java settings, the 2 graphs on your training log require an older version of Java.  But try going to their site and dl the newest one, this one will support older versions (if that makes any sense).  

From there go to 'My computer' and 'Control Panel' and you will find the Java control icon.  You should be able to change a few settings to allow some aspects of Java to work properly.  Sorry, I know that's really vague, but it's all I've got.  It worked for me after I recently formatted my computer and had a similar problem with my training log - it froze up when I opened it, but I could access the rest of the BT site.

Good Luck.

2008-12-19 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Small Town

For our group table: 

Copy this html and go to your Goals section and paste it in either the short term goals or long term goals.  Place your curser where you want the table be inserted, then use the HTML button just below the 'font family' dropdown.  Paste the code there.  The title is setup to take you to the most recent page, I just checked it twice.

<br /><table width="235" border="1" align="center" style="border: 1px solid #000066; height: 184px"><tbody><tr align="center"><td colspan="3"><a target="_blank" xhref="../forums/thread-view.asp?tid=142032">2009 Mentor Group</a> <br /></td></tr><tr><td align="center"><a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=14369">swbkrun  </a> <br /></td><td align="center"><a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=52382">JHagerman  </a> <br /></td><td align="center"><a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=88810">Cadmus  </a> <br /></td></tr><tr><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=84721">tahrens</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=71740">dalessit</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=45706">ssminow</a>  </td></tr><tr><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=68649">Mcfars00</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=124061">Trevorc</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=121925">Soccermom</a>  </td></tr><tr><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=115157">Buckshot</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=93194">Gadgetlaw</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=101188">Hollyw</a>  </td></tr><tr><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=87150">Ltrain</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=53447">willie05</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=46687">lilturtle</a><a target="_blank" xhref="../view-profile.asp?action=view&amp;uid=116428">&nbsp;</a>  </td></tr><tr><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=80081">Lexus1299</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=91040">Bragg69</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=66950">HAMMEROZ</a>  </td></tr><tr><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=110960">tryin01</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=71591">KT65</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=79016">crews</a>  </td></tr><tr><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=74194">Redknight</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=104209">Brownnugen</a>  </td><td align="center">&nbsp;<a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=119088">PlainsmanAU</a>  </td></tr><tr><td align="center"><a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=93387">bethpaultx</a>&nbsp;  </td><td align="center"><a target="_blank" xhref="index-weekly.asp?memberid=116428">Scotty69</a><br /></td><td align="center"><a target="_blank" xhref="../view-profile.asp?action=view&amp;uid=115175">tkeckley - Logs Private?</a>  </td></tr></tbody></table>

Edited by JHagerman 2008-12-19 4:23 PM
2008-12-19 4:24 PM

User image

Master
Hope everyone has a great and safe weekend!!!
2008-12-19 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Everyone have a great weekend!  Check out my signature below for one of my favorite quotes from Steve - look familiar??

Riding in that snow sounds great Steve!! 

2008-12-19 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1864162

User image

Pro
willie05 - 2008-12-19 3:47 PM

Everyone have a great weekend!  Check out my signature below for one of my favorite quotes from Steve - look familiar??

Riding in that snow sounds great Steve!! 

Ah..... One of my favorites.... BUT OH SO TRUE!  Always puts a smile on my face.   Sittting around with friends/family laughing over a few glasses of wine.

Biking went off with out a hitch tonight.  A little 30 minute ride throughout the neighboorhoods.... People looks at me like I was not normal??? Why is that?  8 inches of snow and a dude on his mountain bike cruising around?  The trail run this weekend should be even better !!!

2008-12-20 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Ok so it's 6:30 in the morning and I finally have found time to complete the paperwork

I like to take moonlit strolls on the beach, soak naked with ...... ooops wrong forum.

Name: Redknight/Rob:

Story: I'm from Guelph Ontario. (Not far from Toronto). I have completed my first year of tri's and had a great time. I was part of Steve's group last year and we had a great forum and I think learned a lot from each other.
I will likely be the old timer in the group again. I'm 56 years old and have lead an active life. Being from Canada my main focus over the years has been hockey. That is the sport which I always return to. When I was 43 I took up karate and in the end achieved a 3rd degree black belt and taught kids and adults the sport for years. Retired from that and eventually ended up here as I wanted to achieve something else and had been watching the Kona Ironman for years. This has been one of the most rewarding things I have done. I have met so many people on the website and at the races and everyone has been so nice and helpful.

Family Status: Married 28 years 2 daughters 2.95 grandchildren. (.95 is because my youngest daughter is going into the hospital on Monday to be induced for her 2nd child). No dogs right now. 4 cats inherited from my daughter .....yuck. ( the cats not my daughter)

Current Training: I am not following a specific training plan right now. I do try to workout at least 5 times a week to maintain the base I developed over the past year. I am taking some Ab classes and playing hockey. I will start my formal Oly training program in January. I don't work with a trainer but get all the help I have needed so far from the group. ( I'll be leaning on everyone again ths year preparing for my HIM). Unlike some of you the most fun for me is in the races not the training. I love being around everyone and most of my training is done by myself.

THIS YEARS RACES: I completed 5 races this year. 2 super sprints, 1 sprint and 2 long sprints. The difference between the sprint and long sprint was the bike portion was 30 Km instead of 20 and the run was 7.5K instead of 5L.

2009RACES: I will be doing my first Olympic distance this year and my "A" race will be my HIM in Sept in Muskoka.

Weight loss. Last year I started my trainng at 185 lbs and am 5'8". I lost about 13 lbs at the peak of my training and racing . Since I am not training as hard right now I have put on a few winter lbs. I want to lose these and get back down to the 172 I was at this year.

2008-12-20 6:19 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Hey Tracy. It looks like you'll have some female support this year.
Welcome to everyone. It looks like we will have a very diverse group again this year. I'm really looking forward to getting insights from everyone.
2008-12-20 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
wow here it is 8:30 am and I finally finished reading all the posts. What a great diverse group. For those of you having any difficulty with winter traing make sure you are posting all your training in your logs. That way we know who to hound. Just ask Tracy she knows where of I speak.
Alexis I had read about the Canadain Death Race earlier thsi year and was facinated. Unfortunately living Ontario I don't get a chance to get out to that. Congrats on finishing the ATC course

Scotty. Below 60 and frezzing. Come on dude suck it up. THat is shorts weather up here :-)

Suzy. Congrats on learning how to swim and not drink most of the pool. The biggest trick is to keep breathing. Actually for all of us swimming is all about the technique. Once you have that down your swimming will take off. Trust me I know I took lessons this past year and couldn't belive the difference. Kevin Koskella puts out a good cd for tri swimming.

Jeremy Thanks for giving us the details on how to get the team roster on our training logs.

What a great start to the new group and a big hi to all the returnees from last years group. (you know who you are). I am looking forward to having some good fun again this year( maybe not all at Tracy and Steve's expense) and learing lots more about the sport and everyone invloved here.
2008-12-20 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

I am so excited that I have to tell someone about the bike I bought last night.  I found a 1 1/2 year old Felt F1 road bike and was able to find the money to buy it. It isn't a tri bike, but should work very well for me next season.  I can't wait to get it out on the road in the spring.  Anyway, I can't stop looking at it as I walk past it in the dining room.  Just thought I would share. 

Good luck with all the workouts this weekend.

2008-12-20 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Congratulations Mark!

We need a photo!
It's 6 am here and I'm procrastinating on getting out for my run...

Edited by kt65 2008-12-20 8:15 AM
2008-12-20 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

It is snowing like mad here and I know I will not be able to run outside today. Cry

Looks like a treadmil day.  I'll work on uploading a picture of my bike.

Thanks.

2008-12-20 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1863547

User image

Expert
In limbo
lexus1299 - 2008-12-19 10:20 AM

someone else posted a photo, so I thought I'd try and put one up here too! Hope it's not TOO huge!

This is a photo of me in agony coming up to the finish line of leg two of Canadian Death Race. 28 KM with two mountains to climb and descend 1st was around 6400ft and second I think just under 7000 as well. Most challenging thing I've ever done physically, but an incredible race! Can't wait to go back for 2009!! Hope to do the whole race someday (125 km!!)

Nice pic!  Personally I like to stay out of races with death in the name, but whatever works for ya.  

If one day I eventually figure out how to post a picture in a thread, then I too will post a pic of myself.  In the meantime there are a few older ones in my photo album. 

2008-12-20 9:22 AM

User image

Pro

Mark....

Congrats on the bike.  That is awesome, unfortunately with the snow you only get to look at it for a few days, unless you have a indoor trainer?  Slap some aerobars on there, and you are good to go!  Can't wait to see the pictures!

2008-12-20 10:44 AM

User image

Austin,TX
I hate to do this to all of you but I am headed to the trail to go and run, the high today will be 78...

Enjoy the snow... I actually wish I could see some!
2008-12-20 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1864597

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Buckshot - 2008-12-20 9:11 AM

I am so excited that I have to tell someone about the bike I bought last night.  I found a 1 1/2 year old Felt F1 road bike and was able to find the money to buy it. It isn't a tri bike, but should work very well for me next season.  I can't wait to get it out on the road in the spring.  Anyway, I can't stop looking at it as I walk past it in the dining room.  Just thought I would share. 

Good luck with all the workouts this weekend.

Get a pic and put it up for us to see. We all like to show off our new toys.
2008-12-20 11:55 AM
in reply to: #1864699

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
LTRAIN - 2008-12-20 11:44 AM

I hate to do this to all of you but I am headed to the trail to go and run, the high today will be 78...

Enjoy the snow... I actually wish I could see some!

it's Ok Benton. During the summer when you are having to run in 100+ temps we'll remember your concern for us poor cold people. Have a great run.

2008-12-20 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1864032

Ft Worth TX
The table worked great thanks

Beth Paul
2008-12-20 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Hello All.  Glad to be here with you guys and looking forward to the year ahead.

Got my bike in today...approx 39 miles and have to tackle the run in the morning.  My running SUX.  I have built up to a 5 mile run, but feel like I need to be stretching it out a bit.  I would like to add about a mile a month so that I will be in good shape for HIM in September.  Is that smart ?  And...anybody got any tricks up their sleeve to add mileage.

I have been running since October and been running fairly slow (but fast for me) just trying to get some base miles.

2008-12-20 4:29 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Wow...bricks are tiring!!

Did my 1st real offical brick yesterday morning. Did a 45 minute ride(15 miles or so),then jumped on the treadmill for 4 miles.My legs were so tired after, but as a newbie it was quite a thrill to pull it off. I know I'll be ready for my 1st tri in March.

Hey Lex..I'm in Calgary, so we're neighbours!!

Speaking of bikes....Oe of my old co-workers is a big Ironman guy...Has 10 bikes in his garage. He sold me a 2005 Cervelo P2...Man it is sweet. So far only been on the trainer in the basement with it, and i need to get used to riding with clips ,but i sure feel cool!

2008-12-20 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1864997

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2008-12-20 4:19 PM

Hello All.  Glad to be here with you guys and looking forward to the year ahead.

Got my bike in today...approx 39 miles and have to tackle the run in the morning.  My running SUX.  I have built up to a 5 mile run, but feel like I need to be stretching it out a bit.  I would like to add about a mile a month so that I will be in good shape for HIM in September.  Is that smart ?  And...anybody got any tricks up their sleeve to add mileage.

I have been running since October and been running fairly slow (but fast for me) just trying to get some base miles.

Why do you think your running sucks?  Seriously, do you tire after a period of time? gasp for air, lose interest? Are you slugging out miles doing the same thing everytime you run?  The reason I ask is I used to say the same thing about swimming (it is my limiter).  While I still am not great, I started treating it more as a priority.  I go in with a work out every time I hit the pool AND I stay there until I get it done.  Sometimes it includes distance, sometimes speed, but there always is a purpose.

In your case, you have only been running a short time, but I would consider laying out a three day a week plan where two runs are similar to what you do today and one run is a little longer (add a mile or two).  Don't worry about speed as much as getting in the miles.  You can assess how you feel after the first two weeks and adjust from there.  Personally, I would not be too afraid of adding some distance as long as watch how your body feels.  It might mean you need to adjust your other work outs, but if this is your limiter it is probably worth working on during the off season. 

One last thing, speed will come with running more.  You need to build a reasonable base and then you can add some fartleks or a short tempo run to help you with increasing your pace.

Just my two cents.

Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2008-12-20 5:06 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73