BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri-Z mentor group - Closed for Now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-01-20 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1872726

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Tri-Z mentor group - Closed for Now

don't be intimidated!!!  seriously.  that's what this is here for.

a brick is when you go immediately from biking into a run. it's to get your legs used to the way it will feel in a tri.  i don't do them often...i need to...i've just avoided!!  i know MANY people though (two of which are in our group, tri-z and pastorswife) who run BETTER after they bike. the longer they go, the stronger they get...me? notsomuch. hahaha.

it's been quiet on my front b/c i'm sulking a little. shoulder has me side lined, so it's not as fun to meandor on bt when i'm not participating. sorry...selfish...i'll get back at it.

anyway...keep up all the good work gang...i'll be back in action next week officially. no more sidelines for me starting monday!!! 

great job guys.

jen

Edited by jah2212 2009-01-20 8:32 AM

2009-01-20 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
Hey Jen, It will be nice to have you back. You must be going stir-crazy by now! I on the other hand have been working like crazy and have not worked out in a few days. I'm exhausted and agitated that I haven't been able to train.

I hope the rest of you are having a better week. If I don't get called in tonight I'm getting up early and am going to brave the cold to work out. I know, I know....34 isn't that cold compared to how cold it gets up north for you guys, but I'm just not equipped to deal with it, and I'm an admitted sissy when it comes to cold.

Good news!!! I went by the Bike World bike shop( I usually go to a smaller mom & pop place), to buy some glasses yesterday, and I met a lady that coordinates weekly women's rides. I'm very excited. She seems really nice and from what she said, I won't have any problem keeping up. It will be so nice to ride with a bunch of women who aren't speed demons and who are welcoming to newbies! For the rest of the newbies out there, you may want to try window shopping at the different running stores and bike shops to network. A lot of them have cork boards where they post announcements of activities, and more often then not, every time I go shopping I end up striking up a conversation with the sales person. They are always more than happy to talk about the activities they take part in, and usually quick with an invite...I've met some really nice people this way.
2009-01-20 9:01 PM

User image

Wesley Chapel, FL

OK, group, I'm SO sorry.  I haven't checked in for a LONG time.  I'm faithful on updating my logs and replying to my "inspires," but totally forgot this is where you all would be "hanging out!"  And I've been battling sickness for a few weeks, too, so that's had me all kinds of messed up! 

Gosh, where to begin??  NEWBIES ... BE ENCOURAGED!  You are here, reading this, putting together workout plans and desiring accountability ... all of these things are the first steps to getting healthier, stronger and fit for life!  Finishing the races is just icing on the cake.  No one cares (other than you if you're an over-achiever like most of us are) what your times are, if you'll set a personal record (PR ... for future lingo references) or who you'll pass along the way.  Triathletes are (for the most part) some of the most wonderfully encouraging people I've ever come across!  So wherever you are in your training, BE THERE ... whether it's walking the dog, run/walking on the treadmill or focusing on your strength (whatever that may be)!  Just do it with all you have at the moment you're doing it!  The rest comes with time!  SO much I could say, but I'll save it for when the time comes ... I have a "great" first-tri story (sad face) and lots of experience with the run/walk program (Galloway's in particular) that a few of you have mentioned.  I used to be a 11 min/miler ... no exceptions ... and through one hard training season, lowered to around an 8 min/mile!  Yep, Jen was right, I love the brick and the brick loves me!  But everyone is different and everyone has their particular strengths!  So keep doing what you're doing ... you ARE a triathlete ... it starts by just BELIEVING it!! 

2009-01-20 9:43 PM

Bricks are tough but GREAT training aids!  BE prepared to have little to no feeling in your legs when you begin running (my experience) !  Add these to your training schedule before your first tri.  It sure does help you know what to expect that morning.

2009-01-20 10:46 PM

User image

Veteran

Jessica - I am glad you found a group to possible ride with!  It makes it so much better training with others!  Thanks you guys for all your tips to the groups and yes the first "brick" that you do if somewhat comical.  I remember almost crying and feeling like my legs were spagetti.   But it only get better and you gotta keep that in mind!

For the rest of the week I am not going to have much of a chance to check BT.  So I hope everybody has great workouts and make sure you log them so we can see what is going on!

I am hoping that taking the rest of the week off will help my knee and hamstring heal.   It is so frustrating not knowing WHEN I can start running again!  I am so glad that I can at least cheer you guys on!  I love seeing  the progress that everybody is making! 

Edited by Tri-Z 2009-01-20 10:47 PM
2009-01-21 6:46 AM

New user
Farmington Hills, MI

Jen - thanks for the encouragement.  Everyone is so welcoming.  That definitely helps!  I've found some folks here in my area that train together, and some women who are just beginning, too.  Hopefully I'll be able to meet up and join them!

Jenn - I didn't notice that the couch-to-sprint starts on all 3 at once.  I'll have to check that out.  I'd be interested in the other training programs you mentioned, too.  I've already realized that I'm going to have to include yoga in with my training program just to get more flexible.  I doubt I'll get to the Y tonight, but it's in my calendar for tomorrow.

I have a question re: bikes.  I didn't even think about this when I decided to work towards this goal.  I have a Trek "comfort" bike, not a road bike.  I'm wondering whether I'm going to need something different.  My goal in this whole thing is simple: finish the race, and hopefully improve my time each time I do it.  My only true competition will be myself.  Will I need to invest in a new bike, or can I just ride the one I have?  Just curious.  Thanks for any thoughts!

2009-01-22 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1919626

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Dawn, since I have yet to do my first tri I'm hesitant to give bike advice, but I saw you posted on another thread.  I think you could use your current bike, unless you are pretty sure you are in this for the long haul.  I just wanted to recommend my bike, which I got in Nov.  It's 2008 Giant OCR 2.... one step up from entry level, and it was $850 and it included the clipless pedals.  I added aerobars and water bottle brackets.  Giant does not make these bikes anymore, they switched to something else, so since they are discontinued, you might get a deal if you can find one.  I absolutely love it!  What a difference from my heavy Peugeot 10-speed I had in the 1980's!  This one is 27 speed and the gearing seems to be very useable... I've even used the "granny" gear on hills and it's a breeze.  The bike shop I went to do a super job fitting me... it was like buying a car!  Hope this helps! 

Hilde

2009-01-23 7:02 AM

New user
Farmington Hills, MI

Thanks, Hilde.  From the feedback I've gotten from the Michigan folks, I needn't worry about getting a new bike just yet.  YAY!  I'll reassess this after I've done a few of these and decide whether tris will be something I'll stick with.

Thanks for the comments folks have put on my training log.  Trouble is, I somehow opened them up once, but then can't seem to open up the comments again.  I must be missing something . . .  Anyhow, I fit another workout in, so I'm pleased with that.  I plan to get it done tomorrow, too.

Have a great day, everyone.

dawn

2009-01-23 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
JUST FYI! The date for the Austin Danskin Tri has been announced, it will be held on June 7th. Who's in besides me? (I cant remember which ones of you ladies are local)
2009-01-23 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1925588

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Dude,  I thought the Danskin was GONE... I am signing up for the Trek Women's Tri in Austin on May 17... so a newby question... is it possible to compete in another that close together?  I'd like to do the Danskin too, but it's only 3 weeks later! 

And lucky me.... I managed to grab a free entry to the Trek... they had a limited number for cancer survivors and I normally don't play the cancer card, but to save $75??  Oh yeah I did!  I can either start with the other cancer survivors or my age group... I will go age group.

2009-01-25 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
Hi everybody. I'm venting today, just a forewarning.

I hate my job. It seriously interferes with my training time and fun time. I know that sounds extremely immature, but I'm just being honest here...lol. I've been on call all week, working crazy hours and have had no time or energy to train. I want to quit and take a job with regular hours, no call and all that, but I just can't. I honestly do not posess another skill that would allow me to work and make enough money to pay my bills. I met a lady yesterday and we got to talking and she was telling me how she and her husband decided a while back to "downgrade". She said they were living on the east coast, making a killing, but very busy and very unhappy and did not want to live like that anymore, so they sold almost everything, packed up and moved here. I'm feeling the same way. I'm single, 33, no kids. Do I really need a house and an SUV? I wish I never bought the house and that I drove an economical car. Then I could quit my job and do something else. My personal goal for this year is to figure out how to do that. I know it's possible.

So, this whole rant was brought on by my frustration of looking at an empty log. How have you guys fared this week? I can't wait until 7am tomorrow when my call ends. Between tomorrow and Friday (I'm working the night job this weekend) I'm going to try my best to put up some respectable numbers. I just realized yesterday, that there is only 7 weeks left until my first race of the year!!!

Sorry for dumping, any suggestions are always welcome, and for what it's worth I feel a little better.

Edited by jessicacrouchrt 2009-01-25 9:53 AM

2009-01-25 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1927707

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Jessica,

Feel free always to vent... totally understand.  Hubby and I both get frustrated with our jobs and just this past week he said he'd be okay declaring bankruptcy and buying a trailer to live in somewhere!  (I must admit that I am not on board for that...LOL).

I just got done looking through everyone's training logs and it looks like this was not a good week for most of us.  Lots of yellow and white squares, or entering things that are not truly "Tri" related workouts, but it's like we are all desperately trying to keep those squares pink!  Seems like we just get started and either life or injuries step in to hijack our best intentions.  Sure would be nice not to have the job interfere with our training!

On an aside... I will be in San Antonio for a music teacher conference from Feb. 11-15, any chance we might get together?  I'm not sure yet if I will be driving myself, so I may not have transportation.  I will be staying at the new La Quinta near the convention center.  You can PM me if you want and I'll give you my cell #.  It would be great to meet someone from our mentor group!

I am still fighting this gosh-darned leg pain.  It is most definitely from running, so I am going to concentrate on the bike and the swim this week.  I want to do a race on March 8, but unless I can get this thing healed up quick and get back to the plan, there's no way I'll be ready to do the run.  If the wind holds off, I might get out on the bike this afternoon. 

Hoping for a better week for ALL of us!!

Hilde

2009-01-26 7:52 AM

New user
Farmington Hills, MI

Jessica, I can so totally relate to work getting in the way of life!  Fortunately, at least from the work aspect, my hours are regular.  It's my kids' schedules that always seem to derail me from my plans.  This week will be my new challenge for fitting in workouts while having my kids with me.  Fortunately, my 15 yo daughter joined me on Saturday for my workout.  Maybe she'll keep doing that.  My 11 yo son though isn't allowed in the areas of the Y where I work out during the hours I'm most likely to try to squeeze it in, so we'll see.  When it warms up outside and the snow clears, I'll get both of them outside with me!  I hope this week goes better with you.

Hilde, I often say as long as I'm happy in my job and with my life, I'd live in a shack.  But, that's probably not too true!  I'd likely not be too thrilled about living in a trailer, either!    Here's hoping your leg pain improves greatly this week!

I hope everyone gets in some great training sessions this week.  I've been feeling excellent after mine, though they're still very, very lowkey.  I'll tweak them up a bit this week.

I don't know what it's like in the areas where you live, but over the last week I've noticed dramatic changes in the daylight hours.  I was driving last night just before 6pm, and the sun was starting to set.  Daylight until 6 pm!!  YAY!

Take care all,

dawn

Edited by sunrise 2009-01-26 7:53 AM
2009-01-26 11:41 AM

User image

Yep, work gets in the way of life. I have a crazy but somewhat flexible schedule. I am trying to decide what I need to do with my schedule and almost every night that I could work gets in the way of something I would like to do or should do. One of my friends yesterday stated I should quit too. Last week I meet my goals for the week before. Same goals for me this week. I am a full time night nurse (RN) in school for my next level, trying to train, and have time for church stuff. Many days I cut back on sleep trying to get everything in. I totally relate to the frustration. I also am totally envious of those of you with training groups. I should go out right now and do something. I am sometimes less then motivated to go out by myself.

Edited by nursenadine 2009-01-26 12:01 PM
2009-01-26 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi Everybody!  Sorry I was out last week - we took a family trip to go see Mickey Mouse and friends!  It was so incredible to see my kiddos light up as the fairy tales came to life.  How great it is to watch through their eyes!

I know life gets in the way of training.  It is so hard to juggle training, work, kids, responsibililties at home, and everything else life throws at us.  Something that helps me is to actually write down on my daily calendar: time that I plan to workout and what I plan to do.  For me, writing it down helps but I do know that work sometimes can call the shots.

For me it is not work, it juggling my kids schedule.  My kids are 5,3, and 1 and sometimes trying to take all 3 to the gym is just impossible.  There have been days that one of them might said they did not want to go and that was all I needed to discourage me from going. 

Right now, I am so discouraged because I can't run.  My knee injury is not quite healed yet and I am so frustrated with just swimming.   My training plan starts Feb 1st and I am very concerned that I will not be ready to start my plan.    Plus to make it a hassle, the pool has limited hours so if I miss those times then that is my only option for the day.  I am hoping to start back riding soon to give me more options!

Today is Monday - it is a new week so lets all just try to meet our goals for this week, day by day.    Thank you for all encouraging words on the thread and I am so glad to see everybody checking everybodys blogs and inspiring others!!!  I have a feeling this is going to be a productive training week for everybody!

2009-01-27 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
going with the goals for the week theme, here are mine.
monday: ride the trainer - 1:00
tuesday: ride the trainer - 1:00
wednesday: treadmill at hotel 3 miles - work has me traveling
thursday: treadmill at hotel 3 miles- work has me traveling
friday: ride the trainer - 1:00
sat and/or sun: try getting a ride in outside to see my comfort level with shoulder

hopefully next week i can start swimming again. we shall see.

keep up the good work ladies...

2009-01-27 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran

Good goals Jen - Feb 1st is around the corner!

2009-01-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1931748

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Jen,  it is so good to see you back at work!!  Take it easy, don't do too much too soon.

I am off my running for awhile, and had hoped to do weights and a gym bike ride after school today, but ice is on the way and school and the gym are 25 miles from home and I don't want to take a chance on getting stuck, sooo... guess it will have to wait till tomorrow. 

This week is all bike and swim, mostly indoor bike due to weather.  I am hoping to get back to the running as soon as I can.  Jenny, I know now how you feel and it's only been a couple of weeks for me!

Have a great week everyone.  And CareyJenny and Trinocerous, check in, what's going on with you?

2009-01-28 12:57 PM

User image

Subject: camelback/water
When I have been riding my bike I have been using my camel back for water. I have a hard time staying hydrated. I know there are water stops for the run. Will I be able to use my camel back during the bike ride?
2009-01-28 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
thats a very good question. I have no idea what the answer is, but I bet one of the Jens knows... I've been thinking for a while about getting one, because everytime I try to drink while riding, I almost crash. I have actually semi-crashed once doing this and came really close, while actually in my first stri. I dropped the bottle. My mom calls me Grace because I'm so clumsy, so anything I can do....
2009-01-28 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1934350

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

I just ordered a Profile water bottle for my aero bars, don't know if you've seen 'em.  It fits right between the aerobars and comes with a straw so you just have to lean down and grab it to get a drink.  I noticed that I slowed WAY down everytime I tried to manhandle the water bottle out of the cage (except for the time the dogs were chasing me!).  It's already been shipped, I'll let you know how I like it!  I think the Camelback would get kind of hot on your back, does it?

Jessica, did you get any ice down your way?

2009-01-28 7:06 PM

User image

Wesley Chapel, FL
Hey!  I'm going to let one of the Jen's answer you for certain, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing "illegal" about the camelbak.  I've just never seen anyone use one, but I've only done sprint races, so that's not to say on longer courses they don't use them.  In general, people want as little as possible to do in transition, so the traditional water bottles fit that bill.  Nothing extra to put on!  I lost a brand new super awesome insulated high tech water bottle on my last race of the season.  Humidity and a tight, non-closed coarse got the best of me!  I even contemplated (for a SUPER BRIEF second) stopping for it because I was using a new "hydration" plan of just drinking on the bike leg and not on the run leg because of some past sloshing and cramping issues I had.  Glad I decided not to ... it was the difference between winning my age category and not!    For training purposes though, definitely stay hydrated by whatever means necessary.  As the race approaches, however, decide what you will do and train that way!  Never try something new on race day! 
2009-01-28 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

"one of the jen's" makes me laugh!!

absolutely camelback is allowed. i've seen them at all distances.  i have one and have used it in training, but not in a race, simply because it takes too long to put it on in transition and in the sprint races i don't drink enough to justify it. the oly's, i have had enough in my aerobars (profile design) and on my down tube to get too and in the aqua bike, i took the handouts from the water stations.

again...absolutely allowed...so go for it if it's going to make you feel comfortable!!

also...i did not want to run tonight when i got to my hotel, was thinking of all the excuses in the world i could write on here to say how i broke my goal to you guys, but then, i thought about it and thought there isn't enough excuses in the world for 30 minutes. especially b/c i'm in a hotel room, by myself, in a city i don't know. what else was i going to do? that...and i was on the phone with my bf and he helped encourage me!

point is...writing my goals in here helped me feel accountable to you all...i strongly recommend!!    just my $.02. 

2009-01-28 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
ps...sara jo...HYSTERICAL...you are absolutely HYSTERICAL!!!  go buff!!
2009-01-28 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1934634

User image

Wesley Chapel, FL

HAHA!!  Jen, I knew you'd love the buff!  Awww yeah!!    Randy thinks it makes me look ... umm ... not of this culture.  Not changing it (for now).  Makes me laugh ... especially with the blonde bangs hanging down!!  HAHA!!

Thanks for the camelbak weigh in!  And hey, does anyone else in Team Hogan get EXTREMELY thirsty during the swim?  What do the pros do in the long races during the swim for hydration?  Anything?  

Edited by pastorswife 2009-01-28 7:46 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri-Z mentor group - Closed for Now Rss Feed  

of 10