BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri-Z mentor group - Closed for Now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-12-26 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri-Z mentor group - Closed for Now

NAME:  Tri-Z / Jenny

MY STORY:  I did my first triathlon in July 2007 after having my third baby and hearing about the experiences my husband had completing his first a few months earlier.  It was a way for me to lose the baby weight but also to workout with a goal and purpose.  I loved having a reason to workout and a training plan to follow to prepare me for an event.  After completing my first triathlon I was addicted and continued to do more.  I still get butterflies before each race but love the feeling of achievement when I finish.   I am currently suffering from IT Band issues which limits my favorite out of the 3: running, but hope for a full recovery soon.

FAMILY STATUS:  I am married with 3 children 5, 3 and 1.

2008 RACES:  Lonestar HIM,   CapTex - Olympic, Longhorn 70.3, Several Half Marathons, several Olympics and Sprints

2009 RACES:  Lonestar HIM, Ironman CDA – this will be my first, Longhorn Aquabike, Clearwater 70.3

WEIGHT: I lost my baby weight 1 ½ years ago and enjoy training to maintain.  Though weight loss is not a huge focus I would like to lower my BMI and I could always eat healthier.

I love the feeling of accomplishment and would like to help as many people as I can have that great feeling.  Whether it is doing a sprint triathlon or IM, I would like to help others reach their goals and achieve through positive reinforcement, encouragement and accountability.  I have learned a lot from BT and glad to have the opportunity to give back.   I am addicted to this sport and love to share my enthusiasm with you.

Edited by Tri-Z 2009-01-09 8:45 AM

2009-01-06 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1872726

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Tri-Z mentor group - Open

i'm IN IN IN...but don't count me. very excited that you are now open for mentoring. let it begin!!

2009-01-07 7:01 AM

User image

Wesley Chapel, FL

Not sure if you want me IN, but I'm IN (you don't have to "count" me either so that more people can benefit), but HAD to come by to tell anyone and everyone who may be browsing looking for a mentor that this right here is who you want!!!  Tri-Z is motivating, encouraging and able to help you achieve your triathlon training goals no matter where you are in the process!!

2009-01-07 9:32 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

If I wasn't leading a mentor group this time around, I'd totally jump in on this one...Jenny rocks! I may have to "lurk" in here occassionally!

2009-01-07 11:53 AM

User image

Davis
Hi Jenny,

I'd love to join your group! I've been logging on BT sporadically, but want to keep motivated this year, learn things, and meet some fellow athletes! I've done 2 seasons of racing, sprints the first year and Olympic the second year. Looking forward to trying a 1/2 next summer at Lake Stevens. Thanks for mentoring

Allison
2009-01-07 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi Everyone!  So far, it looks like we have a great group of girls!  I am so excited to be a part of this group and help us all meet our goals this season!  Let the fun begin!

So far - we have:

Jenny / Tri-Z

Jen/ JAH2212

Sara Jo/ Pastorswife

Allison/ TallGirl

I think we all have been doing these tris for the same amount of time and I am sure there will be lots of information to share.  I can't wait for this 2009 season and what we can all accomplish in the next few months.   I believe that Jen and Allison are planning their first half ironman this year, Sara - an Oly, right? and Jen is also doing Ironman CdA! 

Glad to have everybody a part of the group and we should have a few more join as well before the group closes.   BTW- boys are welcome as well!!!!  Let the training begin (well I can tell that it already has)!!!

Jenny

2009-01-07 1:46 PM

what do you have to do to qualify? i can be your sprint machine but not much more yet.  long term i'd like to do at least one olympic.  
2009-01-07 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Good for you - you Sprint Machine!  You are in! I think that is awesome to have the Oly be a goal for this season!
2009-01-08 1:33 AM

User image

Hi! My name is Nadine. Your group has such good references that I would like to know about joining?

I have never done a triathlon. I have never even been to one yet. So I am brand new. My goal is to do and finish a sprint triathlon. I know virtually nothing except the stuff I have read on this site. I have for years now been interested in participating in a triathlon.

I have been athletic in the past, but walking around theme parks is the most active I had been for the last 8 years. I started a diet plan and “training” two months ago.  I am swimming and biking several times a week. Swimming is actually the easiest for me. I am almost to the point that I can do the bike part of a sprint, and I can at least walk and am starting to train for the running part of a sprint.

I started 35 pound overweight and am still about 20 pounds overweight. I am happily married to someone who is as non athletic as me but is supportive.

So feel like taking on someone who knows virtually nothing but is motivated?

2009-01-08 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1894134

User image

Veteran

Well Nadine - it looks like you are on the right track!  In fact, you are very lucky that swimming is the easiest for you.  Not many people can say that.  It sounds like you have the support from your husband and that is very important as well.  Congratulations on already losing 15 pounds.  That is fantastic and a great achievement.

We will probably get a few more people in our group in the next few days!  Welcome Nadine! 

2009-01-08 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1894134

User image

Veteran

Well Nadine - it looks like you are on the right track!  In fact, you are very lucky that swimming is the easiest for you.  Not many people can say that.  It sounds like you have the support from your husband and that is very important as well.  Congratulations on already losing 15 pounds.  That is fantastic and a great achievement.

We will probably get a few more people in our group in the next few days!  Welcome Nadine! 

2009-01-08 10:06 AM

New user
Farmington Hills, MI

I've been thinking I'd like to do a triathlon for several years now, and I recently decided that 2009 is going to be my year.  Unfortunately, I've neglected my work outs for a few years . . . way too long, and at 45 I really need to stop putting it off.  Was browsing around and found this site.  YAY!  Your group sounds great, Jenny.  I really need help getting started and am hoping that you'd be willing to take me on as a group member.  Sounds like Nadine and I have a lot in common, so we might work well together.

Thanks!

dawn a/k/a sunrise

Edited by sunrise 2009-01-08 10:06 AM
2009-01-08 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1894745

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Hi Jenny and gang,

If you are not full, I would like to join your group too... I see you are from TX, me too!  I am from Temple.  I have been working towards doing my first Sprint Tri, waiting for Danskin to post their dates for Austin.  I am 51 years old, an elementary music teacher and got inspired to do a tri after swimming in the Texas Senior Olympics and not embarrassing myself.  Swimming is my best sport, and I used to bike years ago when I was in the Army stationed in Germany and am just getting back into it. I am now a 5 1/2 year breast cancer survivor and have lost 30 pounds since last summer with hopes to lose at least another 10, ideally another 20 if I can.  I've been training myself pretty much, and am almost done with the Couch to 5k plan, but can't say that running feels good yet!  I would love to be part of your group, so let me know!!

Thanks, Hilde

2009-01-08 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
This looks like the group with all the SMOKIN HOT Tri Girls. I will lurking here.
2009-01-08 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

how FUN! this is shaping up to be quite a group...

side bar: for those of you who don't know me...i'm Jen - Jenny's sister in law.  i've been training with her for the last year and she's fantastic.  she's a wonderful motivator, she's got an amazing work ethic and she's very VERY good at all of the distances in these tri's.  even though i talk to her daily, i figured i could learn a lot from "being" in her group...(she's not really counting me as a member because i talk to her anyway...ha) this is a great group to join and i'm excited to be a part of it.

welcome to all of you trying to complete you first tri this year...it'll be great watching all of the accomplishments.  

2009-01-08 7:23 PM

New user

Hi Jenny and gang, I would love to be a part of this group.
I am new to triathlons but have always wanted to do one and have decided that 2009 is going to be my year. I gave birth to my 2nd child 4 months ago and am looking to loose the baby weight while getting fit and active.
I was extremely active in my teens and early 20's but have not done much for a while. I did swim while pregnant and really enjoyed it. I see the run as my biggest problem as I have an extreme dislike of running but am hoping to change that this year.
This year I hope to complete my first 5k and am aiming to do my first tri sprint in June.
I am really excited that BT has a mentor program and am really looking forward to learning and sharing.
Bring it on!!!!

2009-01-08 8:08 PM

User image

Hillsboro, OR

Seems like there's a lot of interest in this group, but if there's still room, I'd love to join.  I see a bit of myself in everyone who's posted.

This winter I started swimming for fitness.  When I started looking at swim training programs I saw many for tri training and that really inspired me to go for it.  It's been one of those things niggling in my brain, that I'd love to do... someday.  Well, that's finally now for me.

I have three kids (6yo & 4 yo boys & 1 yo girl) and yes, some baby fat to lose.  But even more I want to get in shape so that I have enough energy to keep up with them.  I need tangible goals, not just numbers on a scale, to motivate me and I am so excited to be starting on this path.

Swimming will be my strength.  I'll enjoy the bike and I am dreading the running.

-Jennifer

(a transplanted Texan now in the NW)

2009-01-08 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran

Welcome Jennifer and CareyJenny (need your real name)!  Congrats to both of you for the additions to your family.  I know, from experience, that half the battle is figuring out how to juggle the training and the family.  You can do it though -  I have found that, as you said, it gives me SOOO much more energy to chase my kiddos around and keep up with them.  In fact, I will have a better day if I get up early and get that work out in. 

I am so glad to have you two a part of the group and very happy that you made the committment to do a triathlon in 2009.  Joining this group is a huge step in making that committment happen this year. 

We probably have room for 1 or 2 more people then I am going to ask everybody to add the others in the group as friends so we can all check on each other.   Make sure you log your workouts as well so we can encourage each other.  I know that many of you are new so holler if you need some help!

It is going to be a great 2009 with lots of personal achievements! 

Edited by Tri-Z 2009-01-08 10:31 PM
2009-01-08 11:10 PM

User image

New user

Hello I am new to this whole workout thing and came across your group as OPEN.  I would like to workout with triahtlons this year to acheive my goals of "triing" to lose the extra pounds.  I am a father of 3 (dogs that is) but they keep me real busy and I try to find the time to walk them, feed them, play with them and still do my workout or wii. 

I like coffee and direct tv.  My favorite way to lose weight is great.  Looking forward to tri ing.

2009-01-08 11:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
Hi, do you have room for one more? I hope so, I'm glad that you are so near. Maybe we'll run into each other at some local races. I'm still fairly new, starting over after an injury last year. I somehow completely fell off the wagon, but am sooo happy to be back on after my long hiatus. I'm planning to do the Lonestar and Captex olympic distances this year, and a couple other sprints. Need to get some rest, have a long day tomorrow, but I'll repost tomorrow with the longer version of my story. Happy to meet all of you!
2009-01-09 6:41 AM
in reply to: #1896631

New user
Farmington Hills, MI

Hi Tri-Z,

Just saw your welcome to Jennifer & CareyJenny.  You might not have seen my message (or the one from Hilde).  Just want to make sure I'm (we're) included in your team count.

Thanks so much!!

dawn

2009-01-09 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1896874

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Thanks for adding that Dawn, I was feeling pretty dissed!  I do want to join the group even if I am the oldest member, I hope I can kick all your @$$es!!  I am MOTIVATED!

Hilde

2009-01-09 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1897033

User image

Veteran

OH NO -don't feel dissed!  I am not sure how I missed that!  Hilde and Dawn - YOU are IN!  Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!  I love your motivation and your attitude!

I am going to respond more but first I need to welcome Nelson and Trinocerous! you are the last members of the group - I am going to officially close the group now and post more soon!!!

This is a great group!  I am very excited!

Jenny 

2009-01-09 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1896719

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri-Z mentor group - Closed

Oops!  Another Error - I think that JessicaCrouchrt is Jessica, right?  Not Nelson (I was looking at your quote)!

2009-01-09 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1894745

User image

Veteran

Hi Dawn!  I love the name Sunrise - are you a morning person?  I am very glad to have you a part of the group.  You have done the first step of joining a group and committing to do a triathlon in 2009!  There are several others who will do there first tri this year and it will be great to cheer each other on.  Thanks for joining - it is going to be a great year!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri-Z mentor group - Closed for Now Rss Feed  

of 10