General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-02-14 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1961377

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread
Yes, I'm annoyed. When campsites became available through the park website in mid-December there was absolutely no mention on the IM Kansas website of a major course overhaul, so I reserved a site along the old run course.

Just weeks later the course change is announced for the other side of the lake, and camping will be made available by race organizers. As of yesterday, I'm able to get a site through IM Kansas and Active, but I can only get it through for Friday and Saturday nights, they won't tell me what site I have, and joy, I get to pay twice the price for the right to camp there.

IM Kansas isn't doing any great service. There just making it more difficult for everyone involved. If there was a single hotel in the area and they booked the entire thing, doubled the price, and forced you to make a reservation for a set number of nights, would you still think it was such a great service.

At least they didn't take all the hills off the bike course..........

2009-02-14 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1961977

All right...I am going to keep my customer service hat on here...

First off let me say that if you reserved a campsite on the other side of the lake...shoot me your receipt and I will glady comp you a campsite on the new side of the lake. No worries.

My email is [email protected]

The new side of the lake...doesn't have a nice online registration system like the Army Corp does...I wish it did...that website is great. Everything on the new side of the lake is done manually...and that would not work in this circumstance. I really don't want the State Park Employees having to endure 100's of phone calls. We are their guests.

If someone does want to come in early or stay longer...they can camp at Campground #2. That will be open to the public. The park has given the race total control over Campground #3.
Campground #2 is still less than a mile from transition...it's just not on the run course. Campground #2 might even be more attractive for some people since they will be able to leave before the race is over.

As far as the price being "doubled"...all funds go to local non-profit "Park Beautification Organization." The organization keeps the park clean, caretakes MTB trails, and puts on kid's events at the park. So you can be annoyed if you want but your money is going towards a good cause...or you can go through the State Park and have your money get shipped off to the State Department.

Hopefully this helps ease your frustration...but I understand that we can only try and please everyone.

2009-02-15 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1897474

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
I think you are doing a great job Ryan. Being recruited as a volunteer last year I think you took a bad rap for calling the race. From our aid station the clouds were looking pretty nasty and their were a few concerned spectators in our area. Although I don't think that registering for campsites this year was perfect, I do appreciate that we are going to be allowed to camp near the finish line and on the run route. Your orginazation could have just as easily closed all those compsites and not let anyone camp. I am looking forward to racing my first half iron and will try and shake your hand if you aren't too busy.
2009-02-15 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1962056

User image

New user
Kansas City Metro
Rumor has it that Mr. Robinson is a 3 or 4 time employee of the year at his "real" job.  Its no surprise he would wear the "customer service hat" as well as he does.
2009-02-15 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1963356

jeff417 - 2009-02-15 4:56 PM

I think you are doing a great job Ryan. Being recruited as a volunteer last year I think you took a bad rap for calling the race. From our aid station the clouds were looking pretty nasty and their were a few concerned spectators in our area. Although I don't think that registering for campsites this year was perfect, I do appreciate that we are going to be allowed to camp near the finish line and on the run route. Your orginazation could have just as easily closed all those compsites and not let anyone camp. I am looking forward to racing my first half iron and will try and shake your hand if you aren't too busy.

Jeff,
Thanks for the kind words...and especially thanks for volunteering last year! I appeciate it...that is great that you are coming back as a participant. I have noticed a lot of Huskers coming down...I didn't know there was that many triathletes in NE. Are there very many races up there?

As far as the campsites go...I am sure there is a better way of doing things...our hands were kind of tied on a few things with the park...and it has taken a lot of "politics" (long story) to get this moved over to the "town" side of the lake....but we DID it! We would have been there last year but they had a music festival around the same time at it...(that's the long story)
Anyways, we are thrilled to be at the new venue and to have the expo and such all at the same location.

One other thing...if anyone has spouses/kids or such that want something to do that weekend...we are holding a charity 5k/10k the day before the race. It will be held on the run course and will finish through the IMKS finish line. It will go through the campgrounds as well. www.rockchalkrun.com
We'll have registration open for it soon.
We did this last year and had around 600 runners...this year we will have close to 1000 I would estimate.

2009-02-19 11:58 AM

New user

Hi rrobinson,

I got your info from a tri friend, sorry to bother you on here, I'm not sure of a better way to contact someone.  I tried [email protected] but didn't hear back. 

My dilemma is that I was scrolling through the age divisions, got distracted, came back to my desk and finished my application with it left on the handicapped division.  I'm 31 today, born on May 1.

Who do I need to e-mail/call to rectify this? 

Thanks,

Josh T.

2009-02-19 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1970670

Just send me another email...with something to grab my attention in the subject line. I get LOTS of emails everyday and if I dont' get on it immediately...sometimes it gets lost

please send the correct info to [email protected]

And tell me exactly the way it should be.

My apologies for not getting it taken care of on the first try.

Thanks,
Ryan

2009-02-19 10:12 PM

Veteran
Beatrice, Nebraska
Any word on who or how many professionals are coming this year? Was great to watch all the pro's last year. My daughter was really inspired by Sam McGlone. I haven't seen someone put on a game face like that in a long time. Would be nice to say that I beat a professional athlete at their own game, if they DNF'd would be the only way. Not many amatuer athletes can say they beat a professional at their own game.
2009-02-19 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1972132

Jeff, look for some updates coming to the site within the next couple of weeks. There are 3 70.3 races...plus Alcatraz on the same weekend...so a lot of the pro's are jockeying for spots all over the place. Simon Lessing will most likely be back at the race in some fashion...(even though he is technically retired Watch out 35-39 Men! j/k

We will host a charity pro dinner on the Friday night before the race againg this year.

2009-02-21 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1971730

New user

Thanks Ryan,

I sent it again just now with "PLEASE FIX MY INCORRECT APPLICATION DIVISION" as the subject.

Thanks!

Josh

2009-02-21 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1963680

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
rrobinson - 2009-02-15 8:37 PM

I have noticed a lot of Huskers coming down...I didn't know there was that many triathletes in NE. Are there very many races up there?

NO there aren't! One sprint in Lincoln, one in Papillion, and a semi-olympic in Council Bluffs. The Lincoln/Papillion events are [now] one week apart. Formerly on the same weekend. If you wanted to you could count the new X.T.E.R.R.A. event out in Branched Oak Lake [Lincoln], but that's it for [OWS] triathlon events in this state. Once you get a good series going down in KS we'd appreciate it if you could get something started up here! The largest city in our state [Omaha] doesn't even have a triathlon event. Des Moines is making us look like a bunch of chumps with their Hy-Vee triathlon, and Lawrence with IMKS. Welcome to the triathlon black hole of the midwest!

2009-02-24 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.

Website said that Pip Taylor is racing.

2009-02-25 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1980467

Look for more pro's to pop up on the website within the next couple weeks...as they finalize their schedules. I hope to have some really good news soon
2009-03-02 8:05 PM

I just signed up. This is my first 1/2 Ironman. I took last year off to recover from back problems. 3 years ago I did the Olympic Topeka Tinman and Jackson County, both of which were excruciating. I focused mainly on sprints in 07. I weigh 230 so my goal is to drop down to 215. Love to hear from any Clydesdales out there.

I don't know where I got this idea from other than people in my office are training for the Chicago Marathon. All things on our Bucket List.

It sounds as if this is a challenging bike ride. I'm trying to go by Tom Hollands 12 Week Triathlete book, doing 2 base phases to start out for the 16 week training program. 

If anybody has any good advice for someone that is a larger frame it would be much appreciated. The run scares me a bit being all asphalt(any grass sides like Longview?)

Is it likely wetsuits will be allowed. I think I'm going to buy one. It sounds like it speeds times quite a bit.

2009-03-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1992919

It will be wetsuit legal.

I am a big proponent of wetsuits in that I think they give you more speed then what just comes up in your swim split...meaning that you don't have to kick as hard and thus saving your legs a little bit for the bike and run.

Good luck with your training!
2009-03-03 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1992919

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
quadzilla2009 - 2009-03-02 8:05 PM

Is it likely wetsuits will be allowed. I think I'm going to buy one. It sounds like it speeds times quite a bit.

I'm not sure it speeds times so much as just makes you feel better coming out of the water. I only have experience with wearing a wetsuit one time, and it was at IMKS. It sure makes you feel like you're literally on top of the water and it also [for me at least] made it seem like my lower body was "forced" to be straight, making for less drag due to flailing legs behind me. That's what it seemed like anyway, and forced isn't the right word but I can't think of anything else that really describes it. Kinda like having leg braces on, if that makes more sense.

Anyway, if you don't have a wetsuit I think you can rent them on race weekend for like $50 or around there. If you can spare the money I say it's worth it. The lake was cool but warm enough to swim in if you don't want to shell out the buckaroos for a wetsuit. The temperature of the water depends on the water that comes into the lake which depends on how long it takes things to thaw out and melt this spring in areas other than Kansas. So, trying to figure out if it will too warm for wetsuits on race day is really anybody's guess, but I'm confident it won't be. Happy training!

2009-03-03 9:41 PM

User image

Regular
Tampa, Florida
So Bripod, now that you have whipped the PF, does this mean you are considering racing again this year?  Cool
2009-03-04 8:31 AM
in reply to: #1995643

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
cmlane - 2009-03-03 9:41 PM

So Bripod, now that you have whipped the PF, does this mean you are considering racing again this year?  Cool

hahaha funny guy I'm far from having the PF whipped! I would love to come back this year and check out that new course though. Just don't see it happening - I haven't run or biked for about 6 months!
2009-03-05 7:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
OKC

I'm thinking about signing up. Ryan - are you guys going to do the Team Javelin discount again this year?

I had sworn off halfs this year, but several in our club (TRI-OKC) are going up, and I've started getting the "itch" again. 

I was riding with a club member who's signed up, and as we were getting our bones rattled on our local roads I told him I can't recall feeling a single bump or divet along that bike course last year, much less a pothole!

New course - do you have the elevation gain? IIRC last year was ~2800 ft of climbing total?

2009-03-05 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1998661

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
lrobb - 2009-03-05 7:43 AM

as we were getting our bones rattled on our local roads I told him I can't recall feeling a single bump or divet along that bike course last year, much less a pothole!

Yeah you Okies need to learn a little about road maintenance! Kidding. Kind of. Redman did a number on me last year! I bet there was a spray paint shortage after all of the potholes the race staff had to mark, heehee!

2009-03-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1999183

Extreme Veteran
OKC

That road's seen better day, huh?

I came down with the flu ~3 days before Redman. Bummer since I live about 2 miles from the start/finish. Coming back down this year?

2009-03-05 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1998661

lrobb-
Yes...it is probably the smoothest 56 miles your are going to find on the 70.3 circuit. All of the roads are new asphalt...it kind of helps that our County Administrator is a huge roadie up here.

The new section of bike course that goes across the dam is a great stretch of course...hilltop views overlooking Lawrence and the lake.

Shoot me an email [email protected] if you are looking for a discount code...better do it soon though because we just passed 1600 for the race and will shut it down soon. I'll see what I can do...

I am hoping to come down and race Redman this year...if I can get my butt back in shape...

lrobb - 2009-03-05 7:43 AM

I'm thinking about signing up. Ryan - are you guys going to do the Team Javelin discount again this year?

I had sworn off halfs this year, but several in our club (TRI-OKC) are going up, and I've started getting the "itch" again. 

I was riding with a club member who's signed up, and as we were getting our bones rattled on our local roads I told him I can't recall feeling a single bump or divet along that bike course last year, much less a pothole!

New course - do you have the elevation gain? IIRC last year was ~2800 ft of climbing total?

2009-03-05 2:52 PM
in reply to: #1999515

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
lrobb - 2009-03-05 12:49 PM

I came down with the flu ~3 days before Redman. Bummer since I live about 2 miles from the start/finish. Coming back down this year?

Probably not. I'd love to because I had a BLAST last year, but honestly the Halfmax Championship thing is really intimidating. Being that they're only accepting a few hundred "general" entries, I really don't want to find myself in the midst of all those atletes vying for a national championship trophy! I'd surely look like an idiot putting along at my measly 15mph... and 10-minute-miles. I may do the Oly with my tri club, but we'll see.

I'm actually thinking about Austin 70.3 for my late season HIM - it's better timing for me.

Edited by lisac957 2009-03-05 2:52 PM
2009-03-05 7:24 PM
in reply to: #1999970

User image

Extreme Veteran
lisac957 - 2009-03-05 2:52 PM
lrobb - 2009-03-05 12:49 PM

Probably not. I'd love to because I had a BLAST last year, but honestly the Halfmax Championship thing is really intimidating. Being that they're only accepting a few hundred "general" entries, I really don't want to find myself in the midst of all those atletes vying for a national championship trophy! I'd surely look like an idiot putting along at my measly 15mph... and 10-minute-miles. I may do the Oly with my tri club, but we'll see.

I'm actually thinking about Austin 70.3 for my late season HIM - it's better timing for me.

While there will surely be some impressive athletes at RedMan this year, some of the qualifiers will be mere mortals like me.

However, while I was planning on doing RedMan again this year, scheduling might not work out. My training partner is talking about Austin as well, so I'll have to figure that out.

On a Kansas 70.3 note, Ryan's last post got me off my butt and I finally registered today.

2009-03-05 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1996066

User image

Regular
Tampa, Florida

Bripod - 2009-03-04 8:31 AM
cmlane - 2009-03-03 9:41 PM So Bripod, now that you have whipped the PF, does this mean you are considering racing again this year?  Cool
hahaha funny guy I'm far from having the PF whipped! I would love to come back this year and check out that new course though. Just don't see it happening - I haven't run or biked for about 6 months!

Don't worry, running and biking is way overrated.  Smile

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Kansas 70.3 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 14