BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-04-23 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2078550

User image

La Habra, CA
Subject: RE: bschulte mentor Group - Closed
I don't have a heart rate monitor yet.  I hope to get one soon (graduation or birthday).

2009-04-23 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Hey Brent,

Question for you...in using my HR monitor, is it possible that a 42 year old man that has been running 3-5 miles a day for better than a year now would have a max HR that is higher than the calc that they tell us to use (220-age=Max)?  I went out in heat today and while I didn't run a fast pace at all, the HR was high the whole time, but I wasn't breathing hard for most of the time and didn't feel any distress (except when I missed my turn and had to back track, which cost me 2 more miles in total).

Just curious
2009-04-23 10:22 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

Hey folks,  Thanks for the the responses about HRM's and your self assessment of how to use them for training.  As you have read, the responses have a pretty broad range.  I think the best way to proceed is to cover the material.  If you use a HRM and have a pretty good understanding of how to use it, you may not get much out of the discussion, but you never know.

This subject is a big one, so I would like to take a chunk of it a week.  I plan on covering the different phases of training, The different training intensities and their benefits, and determining the different levels of intensity (this is where the HRM and Power Meter come in).

So let's start off discussing the different phases of training.  These phases / stages are called various different names and in some cases different theories challenge the effectiveness of some of the phases.  This material is ever changing and continuously being challenged, which is a good thing.  It's this continuous challenging of the theory which has led to the increasingly remarkable race times at all the various triathlon distances.

So you have figured out by now that the training season for triathlon is quite long.  At the Iron distance it is pretty much year round, but you don't train the same way year round.  Even for triathletes not racing at the Iron distance, many train most, if not the whole year.  So this material will apply to all here.  Off season, or what is referred to as recovery training is less structured and certainly less intense.  So let's consider we are going to train, in some fashion the entire year.

The first stage of your active training year (when you start your structured training) is called the Base stage.  Again don't get hung up on the actual name as it can be called different names, but they all me the same thing.  The base stage, depending on when you start your active training and when you racing starts, can last as little as 8 weeks and as long as 16 weeks or maybe a little more.  This stage consists of a high percentage of low intensity training.  We'll get to exactly what this is when we cover the different intensities and how to determine them.  For now let's just say they are EASY workouts.  High intensity training, let's say HARD workouts represent a very small % of workouts / training time in this phase.   What you are mainly doing in this stage is creating what I call your aerobic engine.  Some say you are "building the plumbing"  You are building your ability to get through the longer training sessions later in the year.  Some of the physiological changes which are taking place are:  

1.  lowering your resting hear rate as your fitness improves

2.  Teaching your body how to burn fat as fuel (we'll cover this topic later)

3.  Teaching your body how to get more oxygen to your working muscles

4.  Teaching your body how to store more glycogen in your muscles (again later topic).

5.  Gaining muscle strength

The base stage is an important one for sure.  Just like a house, it is the foundation of what the rest of the training year will be built off of.  Weak base could mean the house comes crashing down, or maybe just isn't as strong as it could be.

The next stage is intensity.  This stage still has a pretty high % of training volume at the Low/EASY level, but you start to increase the total training volume as well as the % of training time doing higher intensity workout / HARD workouts.  These longer and higher intensity workouts take the benefits of more oxygen transport and glycogen storage and begins to teach your body how to do these things while going faster, an important thing when you get to racing Tongue out.  this stage can last 8 to 16 weeks.

The next stage is called peak (again called different things sometimes).  The triathlon racing season is pretty long, as long as 6 months in the South and West.  This stage is designed so you can do racing and stretch your fitness level for racing out.  This stage typically lasts 4 to 6 weeks.  Total training volume decreases in this stage but A pretty high % of the training is still at the EASY level to maintain your base fitness.  HARD intensity training sessions are more frequent but shorter.  These short HARD workouts, if done right, are tough.  You will need the EASY workouts in between these workouts to help you recover.  You are basically fine tuning your skills and working out the kinks in this stage.  Your body is learning to adapt to racing intensity.

The next stage is the Racing stage and can last up to 12 weeks.  Again, about 50% of the training in this stage is EASY to maintain the aerobic base, as well as to recover from HARD workouts.  There are lots of race simulation type training in this stage (some in the previous as well, but more here).  For example I do 4 brick workouts (bike then run) a week and 1 swim, bike, run workout, in addition to a recovery run workout in this stage.  Total training volume is lowest in this stage.  You've built the spear the previous stages and you are just sharpening the tip here.  If you build your year correctly you will be able to race a lot in this stage.  Your body will be able to recover quickly and there is plenty of recovery time built in already.  The races can really take the place of your HARD workouts.  Theoretically you could race every weekend here.  If you have "pointed" your season to an "A" race you want that to fall in this stage.

The final stage is called recovery and is when the racing season is over.  This stage needs to be at least 2-4 weeks and fills the time between when your next season's base stage starts.  Training volume is low and relatively unstructured as well as consists of alternate activities.  Still do some swim, bike and running here, but way less.  Folks in the North substitute X-country skiing in here to maintain some aerobic base.

That's quite a bit of material.  The next big topic we will discuss is the different EASY and HARD workouts.

Let the questions fly!!  

2009-04-23 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2107028

User image

Alpharetta, GA
baldbuyer - 2009-04-23 10:44 PM Hey Brent,

Question for you...in using my HR monitor, is it possible that a 42 year old man that has been running 3-5 miles a day for better than a year now would have a max HR that is higher than the calc that they tell us to use (220-age=Max)?  I went out in heat today and while I didn't run a fast pace at all, the HR was high the whole time, but I wasn't breathing hard for most of the time and didn't feel any distress (except when I missed my turn and had to back track, which cost me 2 more miles in total).

Just curious

Hi Lance, If you are saying your HR was over your MAX at the described exertion you were running, I would say it is HIGHLY unlikely.  Everyone is different, but that seems to fall too far outside of the norm.  Sometimes when I sweat a lot in the heat the sweat which is covering my whole chest area (think more than your typical sweaty shirt), my HRM starts making funky readings.  I think the salty sweat is a conductor and is messing with the electrical impulse coming from your hear.  The HR strap can't tell where the impulse is coming from. 

I think this happens more when the battery needs to be replaced (for me about every 6 months or so).  You can also try the specific HRM conductive gel they sell, which helps maintain a better signal.  If it continues I'd try some of that. 

Brent
2009-04-25 1:42 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
But he's using the 220-age formula to get his max. So it's probably not really his max. At least it isn't for me. My max is 186 and the formula put its almost 20 points lower.
2009-04-26 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2109408

User image

Alpharetta, GA
MacMadame - 2009-04-25 2:42 AM But he's using the 220-age formula to get his max. So it's probably not really his max. At least it isn't for me. My max is 186 and the formula put its almost 20 points lower.

Marie,

Have you been tested to get your 186 max?  If so, that's the best way to go, but if not, the general , and it's very general, way to get it is the 220 - age.

2009-04-26 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I ran a 5K race this morning that I ran LY when I was much heavier.  This year I finished in 26:23 (8:31 pace) vs LY of 33:54 (11:10 pace).  Best part is that I probably could have pushed it a little harder, unlike LY when I felt like I was going to die.....

woo-hoo
2009-04-26 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2110935

User image

Alpharetta, GA
baldbuyer - 2009-04-26 12:26 PM I ran a 5K race this morning that I ran LY when I was much heavier.  This year I finished in 26:23 (8:31 pace) vs LY of 33:54 (11:10 pace).  Best part is that I probably could have pushed it a little harder, unlike LY when I felt like I was going to die.....

woo-hoo

Unbelievable improvement!  Amazing.  Congratulations.
2009-04-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2110743

User image

Expert
Northern CA
bschulte - 2009-04-26 5:56 AM 
Have you been tested to get your 186 max?  If so, that's the best way to go, but if not, the general , and it's very general, way to get it is the 220 - age.

I had a cardiac stress test in Sept. and that's what they told me. I want to get tested in a more traditional way at some point, but I haven't had the time or the cash.  But I know it's not 166 because not only have I gotten up to 173, but I don't feel in the 160s like you would feel if that was in Zone 5.

And I agree about the HRM sometimes going whacko. Mine today said my max during my swim was 240! Surprised Guess I'm dead and just don't know it. Heh.

So I have some questions about your post. I have the Triathlete's Training Diary and it talks about the various training periods too. I guess they are describe in much more detail in the companion book (that I don't have), but the description of the Peak time in the diary is a lot different than yours. They describe it more like a taper where you are taking it easy, doing only low intensity workouts for much less time in the week or two leading up to a race.

Am I not understanding something or is what you are telling us just a different training philosophy? I think having a long peak period where you are racing a lot makes more sense than what Friel would have me do -- which results in 4 weeks of taper (one for the last week of your Build and then 2 for Peak and then 1 more for Race week) for a Sprint Tri! Granted, he only suggests this for A races and it's not his fault that by the time my A race came around I was in good enough shape for it to be a B race, but I'm still not convinced it will work in general. It just seems like too much time to be taking it easy.
2009-04-26 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2111163

User image

Alpharetta, GA
MacMadame - 2009-04-26 4:54 PM
bschulte - 2009-04-26 5:56 AM 

I had a cardiac stress test in Sept. and that's what they told me. I want to get tested in a more traditional way at some point, but I haven't had the time or the cash.  But I know it's not 166 because not only have I gotten up to 173, but I don't feel in the 160s like you would feel if that was in Zone 5.

And I agree about the HRM sometimes going whacko. Mine today said my max during my swim was 240! Surprised Guess I'm dead and just don't know it. Heh.

So I have some questions about your post. I have the Triathlete's Training Diary and it talks about the various training periods too. I guess they are describe in much more detail in the companion book (that I don't have), but the description of the Peak time in the diary is a lot different than yours. They describe it more like a taper where you are taking it easy, doing only low intensity workouts for much less time in the week or two leading up to a race.

Am I not understanding something or is what you are telling us just a different training philosophy? I think having a long peak period where you are racing a lot makes more sense than what Friel would have me do -- which results in 4 weeks of taper (one for the last week of your Build and then 2 for Peak and then 1 more for Race week) for a Sprint Tri! Granted, he only suggests this for A races and it's not his fault that by the time my A race came around I was in good enough shape for it to be a B race, but I'm still not convinced it will work in general. It just seems like too much time to be taking it easy.

Awesome question.  There are 3 terms I've heard used for the this stage; Peak (peaking), sharpening, and taper.  They are all synonymous.  This was very confusing to me when I first read about this.  I came from a swimming background and we always tapered for the big races.  They were our "A" races I guess, but this concept of tapering, then having a whole phase after it was a whole new thing. 

Most people think of taper as just backing off of the mileage, which it certainly is.  In the Intensity phase there are some training intensities we have not discussed yet (intervals, hill intervals, etc), which really come into play in the Taper or Peak phase.  Overall volume down, but these high intensity workout remain and "sharpen" your skills.  So the Race phase is there to stretch out that period where you are in tip top racing condition.  In essence allowing you to have a couple "A" races in this period.  Personally, my "A" race has always been my last race of the season so there wasn't a need to stretch out the racing phase.  However, this year I have 2 "A" races.  Ironman Coeur d'Alene in June and Ironman Florida in November.  Obviously there is too much time between these two so what I will do (I did this last year too just to make sure it works for me) is after IMCDA I will do 1 periodization (4 weeks) of Base, 2 periodizations of Intensity, and 1 periodization of Peak.  I call this a bi-modal season as there are two volume build up periods, two humps if you will.  Oh, and if there is a 3rd race in Kona, fingers crossed, I will cut out 1 week of base, 1 week of Intensity, and will need to utilize the Racing phase to race another "A" race 3 weeks after Kona.

Hope this helped with your question.

Edited by bschulte 2009-04-26 8:29 PM
2009-04-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2111654

User image

Expert
Northern CA
bschulte - 2009-04-26 6:28 PM

Overall volume down, but these high intensity workout remain and "sharpen" your skills.  

Argh, so I've been doing it exactly wrong! I've been doing low intensity workouts, but not cutting down my volume like I had planned.

Well, that's okay... I've got the second half of the season to try again.

When you do your next post in the series, are you going to address how often to race and how to incorporate races into your plan? That's something that confuses me. I started out thinking I'd do a race every other month and now I'm thinking I'll do them every month instead. (Which just means adding a July race at this point -- it's going to be a family vacation camping at Lake Tahoe combined with a race, if I can get the family on board.)

But I don't want to spend from now until the end of the season in "race" mode because I want to continue to up my distances and times. So I need some more base and build in there. 

2009-04-27 7:01 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Hi All,

Anyone else have any questions on the material discussed last week? 

Marie, I'll talk about racing and how to build it into your plan during this week TOTW, which btw will be to discuss different training intensities.

2009-04-27 10:14 AM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
My biggest question is how long should you be in these zones or trng effort levels, whatever you want to call them? My hrm calls them te and should I be maxing them out on runs? I dont want to burn out or overtrain but worried about under trng. I felt like I should have done more speed workouts before the marathon. I was just putting in time for that I want to make my A race this year I finish strong and meet the goals. I do my first tri May 9 which is an oly and in Nov doing a HIM (A race). I will do a few others besides them but these are the two I will base things off of for the year. Another question is if I miss a set workout should I try and make it up on another day? As we all know things come up for me it would be work or kids. Another question off topic asked about my toes going numb second one in from the pinky toe? Happens on longer bike rides. Somebody told me possibly shoes or bike set up.
2009-04-27 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2112693

User image

Alpharetta, GA
fireman70 - 2009-04-27 11:14 AM My biggest question is how long should you be in these zones or trng effort levels, whatever you want to call them? My hrm calls them te and should I be maxing them out on runs? I dont want to burn out or overtrain but worried about under trng. I felt like I should have done more speed workouts before the marathon. I was just putting in time for that I want to make my A race this year I finish strong and meet the goals. I do my first tri May 9 which is an oly and in Nov doing a HIM (A race). I will do a few others besides them but these are the two I will base things off of for the year. Another question is if I miss a set workout should I try and make it up on another day? As we all know things come up for me it would be work or kids. Another question off topic asked about my toes going numb second one in from the pinky toe? Happens on longer bike rides. Somebody told me possibly shoes or bike set up.

Good questions Matt,

The first one I'll start to address in this weeks topic.  Your second question about missing workouts is a tough one.  Usually a weeks training is laid out to maximize your recovery time between workouts, so sometimes doing same sport workouts with similar intensities isn't a good idea and you actually end up sub-optimizing 2 workouts.  Back to back bike workouts isn't so much of an issue as there isn't any "impact" on the legs.  Your leg muscles contract completely differently on the bike vs. the run.  The contraction is more gradual.  The contraction on the run is more violent.  It takes the legs longer to recover from a run then a bike.  Also, pay attention to your shoulders on back to back swims.

Life does happen around training so you have to be flexible.  You will just have to try various things when moving your workouts around and pay attention to what works and what doesn't.  You will start to know how your body reacts to the changes, thus what you can and can't do.

Your last question about toe pain.....I get the same thing.  Nearly every long ride between miles 63-65 my big toes start to feel like someone is driving a nail into them.  It comes and goes every couple miles after that.  I haven't been able to solve this one......so if you do, please share! 
2009-04-28 2:07 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
ok.....the internet really sucks sometime.  I just had the TOTW typed out (LONG POST) and went to update and it wouldn't.  I'll see if I can find time to type again.  May just take it in little pieces this week as not to overwhelm folks with the technical stuff.....it can be kind of dry, but it's important training stuff to maximize your workouts.

Edited by bschulte 2009-04-28 2:08 PM
2009-04-28 2:29 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
TOTW part 1

Last week we discussed the different training phases, this week we'll cover the different levels of training.  Next week we'll cover the different types of workouts within these levels.

These levels, referred to as training zones or HR zones, or Power zones are basically all the same thing.  They all estimate the amount of stress on the body with a given level of exhaustion. 

If you will allow me to take some liberties for the of simplicity we'll see if we can boil the pretty complex material down.

As stated before power meters and HRM's are used basically the same way.  The power meter is more exacting and scientific, but let talk simply here, they both are used to estimate body stress and are both used to determine training zones. 

Training zones are basically, percentages of your Vo2 max which correspond to different physiological adaptations.  I'll go over this later.  As stated last week let's use HR to determine these zones, but all applies if you are using power.

Some training methods use 7 zones, some use 5 zone, or even 3 zones.  The training I use has 5 zones so I will speak from that perspective as it is what I know.  In very general terms there are 3 basic areas you train in.
1.  Aerobic training (means with oxygen) - plenty of excess oxygen for your muscles to use here.  This is the "EASY" pace
2.  Anaerobic training (without oxygen) - muscles are using all of the available oxygen, starting to burn higher % of sugar
3.  Threshold training - muscles using all oxygen and burning very high % sugar, also your body can not remove all of the lactic acid, a by product of burning sugar, at the rate it is producing it.  Muscle fatigue / burning becomes prevalent.  "HARD" workouts.

Next post.....how to determine the HR zones

2009-04-28 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Fireman 70,

Talk to someone at your local bike shop on the toes going numb.  I had the same issue and sometimes it is either your footbed in the shoe (which it was for me and you might be able to aid with an insert...ala Dr. Scholls) or they might be able to shim your cleat to change the pressure point where you are driving down on the pedal.  There is a bone in the middle of your foot that when it gets inflamed will either cause a feeling like a cramp in the middle of your foot with pain in your 3 or 4th toe or numbness....The footbed worked for me, though.

FYI
2009-04-28 8:00 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Baldbuyer,
You are my hero. I am heading tomorrow to the lbs where I got the bike and will have them make sure I am sitting properly and in a good position while in the aero bars. I still have a little neck pain but that may just need an adjustment. The only thing else would be to get a prof fit for the bike. I hope the foot thing can be done with minor adjustments. Thanks for the input. What type of inserts did you use?
2009-04-29 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I bought a pair of SOLE Ultras, check the following link:  http://www.trisports.com/soulcufo.html    They are a little pricey ($40 basically) but still cheaper than orthotics or a new pair of cycling shoes.  Check the reviews on the website if you're curious.

FYI
2009-04-29 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2118894

User image

Alpharetta, GA
baldbuyer - 2009-04-29 3:22 PM I bought a pair of SOLE Ultras, check the following link:  http://www.trisports.com/soulcufo.html    They are a little pricey ($40 basically) but still cheaper than orthotics or a new pair of cycling shoes.  Check the reviews on the website if you're curious.

FYI

Very curious to see if this solves the issue.  I am however a little concerned about adding any absorption material to the bottom of cycling shoes.  Shoe makers charge big bucks (which I have paid) for carbon fiber soles to ensure maximum power is transfered to the pedal on each stroke (they don't flex as like plastic).  I am concerned that the absorption material would reduce the force to the pedal.  If you report back that this works I'll have to do some research to see if my fears are real or not.
2009-04-29 4:29 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Went back to lbs and they said to try and move the clip in towards the big toe (less vessels) and a little bit farther back on the shoe. I will make minor adjustments on the shoe seeing how they made some adjustments on the bike today. Had two guys watch me ride. The moved the seat forward and a little bit down and bars out. I will give it a couple rides and see how it feels. Thanks for the info. They also said it could be from the pedals. Dang this tri thing is expensive. lol

2009-04-29 6:45 PM

User image

Master
On the shoe/feet numb issue, I got some advice from HeWhoKnowsAllThingsBikes that I should get shoe inserts. Not the Dr. Scholes kind either. Superfeet makes a cycling specific insert. Specialized also their BG inserts. I too would be fearful of putting a big insert into my shoe and probably not for the reason that Brent is worried. This is disgusting but on long rides during the summer, I pee on the bike. I don't want it to collect in my shoe either. Tri shoes are made with holes in them so water runs out. Then again, foot numbness could be the shoes too. I wear the Shimano high end tri shoes. They are nice. The other shoe I would buy (and I will buy them next time) are the Specialized TriVents. I have a wide foot and find these two makes fit a wider foot.
2009-04-30 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
Anyone have any last minute advice for me for Wildflower?

One thing that is confusing me is that there are aide stations on the bike course and you can trade in your water bottle for a fresh one. Is that normal? Should I plan to stop at some point in the ride? They don't do this for Sprints so I have no experience; I had assumed you don't do this until HIM, in fact.
2009-04-30 7:45 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Numbness still there but not as bad. Neck pain was gone it felt better with adjustments but legs were tired quicker (quads) dont think I am getting that full extension. I have another ride before I move the seat up a little (minor). Next week is my oly dont know if they do that there with the bottles dont think they do. I just put an aero bottle on mine it made it nice not to sit up to drink. You can just take a sip and spit it out if you mouth gets dry. Good luck with yours next week.
2009-04-30 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2121807

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

MacMadame - 2009-04-30 4:54 PM Anyone have any last minute advice for me for Wildflower?

One thing that is confusing me is that there are aide stations on the bike course and you can trade in your water bottle for a fresh one. Is that normal? Should I plan to stop at some point in the ride? They don't do this for Sprints so I have no experience; I had assumed you don't do this until HIM, in fact.

I have never seen an aide station for an olympic either.  I would not use the aide station if it were me but everyone is different.  I only go through one bottle of liquid total on the bike during an olympic ride and like my own mix which has worked great for me.  What exactly is being provided - just water, gatorade, gel??  If you are just looking to take in some extra water should not be an issue but make sure your stomach is comfortable with other things being offered in a training environment prior to racing with it - that is a consensus on the board.

Ryan

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14