BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-20 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2097767

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy
dixrp - 2009-04-20 2:12 PM I will be starting the 20 week 1/2 Iron Program 1st week of June. I would like to incorparate a 1/2 Mary into my schedule. I have a couple of sprint lined up for June, July and early Aug. then: "B" race Tri Oly Aug 15th Century Ride Sept 26th "A" race is Longhorn Half Iron Oct 25th When would the best time to add the 1/2 Mary? Is the Century ride to close to my "A" race? I could do the 50 miler or 100 Km instead of the 100 miler if I will not have enough time to recover.

Regarding the century a month out from Longhorn, I'd say that's fine. By that point in your training it will be about 25% longer than what I would do for a long training ride 16 weeks into a 1/2 IM plan. There's no NEED to do a century, but if you WANT to do it... yeah I see no problem. Just be sure to have a good recovery week after the fact. On the ride take it easy, and use it as a day to practice your bike nutrition plan.

As for when to add a 1/2 mary... I'll say this. You may well be up for that distance around the same time as the century. Obviously that poses a problem. An elite triathlete like my friend Peggy will do "over-distance" work for the run portion of a 1/2 IM by running 16 maybe 20 miles at some point in their train up. As a bigger guy, duration of run training is going to important for you to monitor in order to avoid injury.

I'm gonna have to look at your plan and see where your volume is after about 12 weeks or so to make a suggestion. My gut feeling is it's not a good idea. It's good to be ambitious, but approaching the train up sensibly will keep you healthy.

It's important to note that the injury rate for age group triathletes training for IM distance races is over 90%! For 70.3s, it's probably not much less than that. Running is far more commonly the cause of overuse injury. So as a new triathlete, and specifically one who has the goal of training for weight loss, I want you to be very careful with your running. Injuries not only take you out of training physically, they are mentally and emotionally damaging as well. For me, I'd say the mental and emotional side of being injured is worse than the physical pain. And I don't want any of you to be in that position if at all possible.

I want each one of you in the 10% "uninjured" category if at all possible...

2009-04-20 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2097987

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Bill - 2009-04-20 3:40 PM
It's important to note that the injury rate for age group triathletes training for IM distance races is over 90%! For 70.3s, it's probably not much less than that. Running is far more commonly the cause of overuse injury. So as a new triathlete, and specifically one who has the goal of training for weight loss, I want you to be very careful with your running. Injuries not only take you out of training physically, they are mentally and emotionally damaging as well. For me, I'd say the mental and emotional side of being injured is worse than the physical pain. And I don't want any of you to be in that position if at all possible.

Oh geez, I didn't need to hear that.  I'm 2 1/2 weeks away from my 70.3, and hopefully I can continue to stay in that 10% category. 

I loved your description of C races -- "catered".  I'm planning to do a catered 5K on Saturday, unless the weather turns bad.   It'll just be an easy run, one our local track club puts on.  There aren't many women my age (51) in this area who are competitive, so I'm in contention for our club's grand prix this year.  But I'm not going to push it -- I'll just go out and have fun.  What do you think?

2009-04-20 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
I like this ABC ranking.

A) Siesta Key Sprint Tri - 10/4/2009
Notably, it's a 1000y OW swim because it's sponsored for the sarasota sharks swim club.  So thats 2.5 times as long as the 400 yard swims normally found at sprints.

B) Heartland Sebring Sprint Tri - 7/26/2009
My college buddy lives in Sebring, so I'd better show up solid at the race when visiting.  Also, supposed to be the hilliest tri in florida.

B) Honeymoon Island Sprint Tri - 6/14/2009
My first one after a 2.5 month break

I just don't have any races I'm not gonna be trying (Pun Potential) hard at so far.

steve
2009-04-20 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2098441

User image

Elite
Texas
Sledge - 2009-04-20 6:44 PM

Bill - 2009-04-20 3:40 PM

Oh geez, I didn't need to hear that.  I'm 2 1/2 weeks away from my 70.3, and hopefully I can continue to stay in that 10% category. 

I loved your description of C races -- "catered".  I'm planning to do a catered 5K on Saturday, unless the weather turns bad.   It'll just be an easy run, one our local track club puts on.  There aren't many women my age (51) in this area who are competitive, so I'm in contention for our club's grand prix this year.  But I'm not going to push it -- I'll just go out and have fun.  What do you think?

You're uninjured 2 1/2 weeks out so I'd say you can breathe easy. What do I think? I think I may have to wonder if you'll plan to go easy until about 5 minutes before the gun goes off and then perhaps you'll start thinking about that club grand prix... but that's just me. Do have fun... at whatever pace feels right.
2009-04-20 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2096227

User image

Woodbridge, VA
Subject: RE: Week 1 Tasks
'A' Race - Toyota US Open ODT Tri (10/11)
'B' Race(s) - Champions ODT Tri (4/26), Waco ODT Tri (7/26), Clear Lake ODT Tri (8/22), Austin ODT Tri (9/7), Iron Star HIM (11/8)
'C' Race(s) - Tejas Sprint Tri (6/7)
2009-04-20 8:51 PM

User image

Woodbridge, VA
MS 150 is cursed.

Last Year DNF-ed due to a wicked sunburn that blistered after day 1.
This Year DNF-ed day 1 canceled, day 2 went through a $50 tire and 3 tubes before sagging in Rest stops wouldn't take my card

MS 150 is cursed

2009-04-20 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2098696

User image

Elite
Texas
jpohlman - 2009-04-20 8:51 PM MS 150 is cursed. Last Year DNF-ed due to a wicked sunburn that blistered after day 1. This Year DNF-ed day 1 canceled, day 2 went through a $50 tire and 3 tubes before sagging in Rest stops wouldn't take my card MS 150 is cursed

Man sorry to hear that James.

Listen if you're willing to come out to Beaumont June 6th we have the Spindletop Spin. $30 gets you 70 miles of pretty good roads, themed rest stops every 10 miles or so if I remember right, and a good meal at the end. It's the same weekend as Tejas, so you'd have to scrap that... but if you're looking for a similar experience this one is good.

Tyler and Kristen are local... I'll see about getting them on board. Something to think about.
2009-04-20 10:37 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
2009-04-20 11:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
A races: Tempe International May 17 OLY, SOMA Oct 25 HIM(Possibly haven't signed up yet not sure if I'm capable of this)

B: Mountain Man Triathlon July 17th (Sprint, maybe OLY)

C: Half Century May 2nd (Haven't signed up for this yet but feel like it would be good to get used to riding with a larger group Their is a half Metric option as well which may be better. with it being so close to Tempe International)
2009-04-21 6:45 AM

User image

Regular
Beaumont
Bill,

I am all in for Spindeltop ride! James, it is a good ride with nicely stocked aid stations and support. 
2009-04-21 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2098957

User image

Veteran
etselec444 - 2009-04-20 11:25 PM

SOMA Oct 25 HIM(Possibly haven't signed up yet not sure if I'm capable of this

Sure you are capable of it! I am signed up for Longhorn Half the same weekend and feel the sameway you do, but we have over six months to prepare for these races. Just think how you will feel at the finish line of the SOMA half! It will be worth it!

2009-04-21 7:33 AM

New user
Gautier, MS
Alright, so I have been doing plenty of running and biking and feel comfortable for well over my sprint and oly race distances.  However, last night was my first swim .... and it kicked my butt.  I could only swim a lap or so without stopping to catch my breath and lower my heart rate.  I have alot to work on before my 600yd OW on May 30. 

Someone please tell me about how you used to not be able to swim a lap and now you can swim a mile or something.... pick me up!
2009-04-21 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2099129

User image

Elite
Texas
TBriggs - 2009-04-21 6:45 AM Bill,

I am all in for Spindeltop ride! James, it is a good ride with nicely stocked aid stations and support. 

Cool. In for the 70(ish)?
2009-04-21 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2099213

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-21 9:23 AM

Elite
Texas
cole18msu - 2009-04-21 7:33 AM Alright, so I have been doing plenty of running and biking and feel comfortable for well over my sprint and oly race distances.  However, last night was my first swim .... and it kicked my butt.  I could only swim a lap or so without stopping to catch my breath and lower my heart rate.  I have alot to work on before my 600yd OW on May 30. 

Someone please tell me about how you used to not be able to swim a lap and now you can swim a mile or something.... pick me up!

When I started I could swim 25 yards and I had to catch my breath for 2 minutes. Now I'm a front-of-pack (FOP) swimmer at the 1/2 IM distance.

Now go swim.

I'll find a thread I posted in 2006 and make it the tip of the day... stand by.
2009-04-21 9:33 AM

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-Tip of the Day for Tuesday

I'm going to be posting tips as often as I can... hopefully daily. And I'll try to follow a patten consistent with the SIX disciplines swim, bik, run, nutrition, recovery, and planning. So today's is a swim topic.

I couldn't swim when I started training in 2004. I mean I could save myself if I feel out of a boat, as long as the boat was still there and not too far away. My first several races ranged from difficult to disasterous. I SHOULD have gotten in a boat at my first OLY. But I didn't, and somehow I didn't drown. I had my first 1/2 IM a month later and during that month, thankfully, it finally clicked for me and I had a terrific swim. I had two more good 1/2 IM swims after that so I was happy it wasn't a fluke. I posted this in 2006 after that race:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=47779&posts=31&start=1 (And a link so you can read the replies and questions from BTers).

There are a lot of threads on here about the open water swim, many of which deal with overcoming fear. I have to admit that I was more or less freaked out about the swim at my first 5 races, Buffalo Spring included.  Fear has some physiologic effects that are both hard to overcome and not conducive to swimming. It's hard to swim when your body wants to breathe 40 times a minute. Mentally you can be afraid and still make yourself do the thing you fear. Courage has everything to do with being afraid and going anyway, not being fearless. With regard to the swim, I've managed to make some progress. I am by no means an swimming expert or even a novice swim coach. And honestly I know I have to go out and have another decent swim at my next race to convince myself I'm getting better. But I can tell you what results I've had personally to date, and what I did to get to a point where I can swim on race day (at least once!). Maybe it will help.

RaceDistance  Pace per 100 Wetsuit  Comments
 Tejas

800 yards

2:23

No

2005, 1st Tri. Mix of free, drills
 TriAmerica

800 yards

2:58

No

2005, 2nd Tri. Mix of free, drils
 Cactus

550 yards

2:55

YES

Hyperventilated, 90% side-stroke
 San Jac

1640 yards

2:51

No

Hugged buoys, survived
 BSLT IM 70.3

2112 yards

1:36!!

YES

1) I took lessons. I did a TI workshop and I had four different  people give me lessons. I learned something from each of them.

2) I focused a lot on form. I did drills for months... and months. I did so many drills that I can't stand the thought of drills now, though I know I still need to do them. I make deals with myself and when I am swimming my long sets I throw in the occasional drill to break things up.

3) After the lessons, after the form work, I swam a lot. No brainer. But I made myself swim more than I wanted to swim. There were a few days when I got in the pool, swam 200 yards and went home. But there were more days when I didn't want to swim and once I got in the water I had a great workout.

4) I trained in my wetsuit  occasionally, in the pool and in open water. I swam in open water with and without it. I put little stock in working on sighting and race tactics because I knew if I couldn't just SWIM in open water none of that would matter. Once I got comfortable swimming (finally), then I did some work on sighting and it came to me easier than I expected (and I can still improve a lot). My worst swim ever was at Cactus and I blamed my wetsuit at first because I had so much trouble breathing. After some self-evaluation (and pool swims in the wetsuit) I realized the wetsuit was not the problem...

5) This is controversial, but I cannot deny that it helped me tremendously. I started using a SwiMP3 player and listened to music while I swam. I know a lot of people whom I respect disagree with the use of music in training. Mental training and all that. I know one thing. On race day from the time the gun goes off until I cross the finish line... I'm mentally locked in to every stroke, every repetition... all of the rhythms of the race. My mind is there. So I don't see music in training as a crutch for me. One IMMEDIATE effect of the SwiMP3 was a major increase in my swim volume. I liked being in the water with my favorite tunes. I have no problem focusing on form. In fact I think it helps me because I'm not thinking about how freakin' bored I am! There is no denying that it has helped me. Make up your own mind on that one. Don't let me convince you to get one and don't let anyone convince you it's bad.

6) I suppose I believed that I would eventually get it. I had enough supportive people telling me that and I trusted them so despite my skepticism and naturally self-critical outlook, on some level I believed it would happen. Pool swimming was a struggle for me. Day in and day out I went to the pool and I sucked. I got discouraged. I kept with the drills. One day, after about a week out of the pool, I went to swim and I felt like I'd been swimming for years. It literally was like someone flipped a switch and I could just swim. The same thing happened last weekend. After a thought provoking discussion with my BT buddy Dennis at the start of the BSLT IM 70.3, I decided it was time to just get in there and swim (read our race reports... pretty funny). I felt like I was a veteran swimmer. I drafted, I passed people, I rounded buoys... I was in a pack of people and I was totally comfortable the entire swim.

Ultimately it boils down to seeing that it's an acquired skill and like anything else it can be learned with the right approach. My approach seems to be working for me, and hopefully some elements of what I'm doing can be helpful for other people in the same boat (sorry....). Stay out of the boat. Swim!

Edited by Bill 2009-04-21 9:36 AM

2009-04-21 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2099505

Elite
Texas
JeepFleeb - 2009-04-21 9:15 AM
cole18msu - 2009-04-21 7:33 AM

When I first started training for my first tri I couldn't swim more than 2/3 of a lap.  I was so bad I stopped swimming at the TCU rec center and used an apartment complex pool so no one I knew would see me.

Yeha I used to go right before closing time. I made the mistake of thinking early morning would be good. It was that day that I realized there is something called "Master's Swim". I walked on the pool treadmill and watched...
2009-04-21 10:59 AM

New user
Gautier, MS
Thanks for the comments, and thanks for sharing the old post Bill.  It makes me feel good to know how far you have come.  I am ready to get in the pool tomorrow!
2009-04-21 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2099203

Elite
Texas
dixrp - 2009-04-21 7:29 AM
etselec444 - 2009-04-20 11:25 PM SOMA Oct 25 HIM(Possibly haven't signed up yet not sure if I'm capable of this
Sure you are capable of it! I am signed up for Longhorn Half the same weekend and feel the sameway you do, but we have over six months to prepare for these races. Just think how you will feel at the finish line of the SOMA half! It will be worth it!

Six months is plenty of time. You'll both be ready as long as you have a plan.
2009-04-21 4:56 PM

New user
Gautier, MS
Random question for those who are Bronze/Silver/Gold members...

What does this really buy you?  I went in looking for an Oly 20 week plan and I think I want to start the 3x2x2 swim focused plan on 5/4 (20 weeks until my Oly on 9/19).  I can see the plan and the minutes for each session.  If I were a bronze member, which is what this plan is available to, would I be able to see more details?  Or does this just let me import the plan into my training schedule? 

Thanks in advance!
2009-04-21 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2101038

Regular
Beaumont
cole18msu - 2009-04-21 4:56 PM Random question for those who are Bronze/Silver/Gold members...

What does this really buy you?  I went in looking for an Oly 20 week plan and I think I want to start the 3x2x2 swim focused plan on 5/4 (20 weeks until my Oly on 9/19).  I can see the plan and the minutes for each session.  If I were a bronze member, which is what this plan is available to, would I be able to see more details?  Or does this just let me import the plan into my training schedule? 

Thanks in advance!

I know as a silver member you get LOTS of detailed information about each individual workout.  I am talking SPECIFICS on how to perform workouts for S/B/R and strength training each day. IMO it is an excellent investment, especially for beginners like myself. 

2009-04-21 7:51 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-21 7:58 PM

Regular
Beaumont
cole18msu - 2009-04-21 7:33 AM Alright, so I have been doing plenty of running and biking and feel comfortable for well over my sprint and oly race distances.  However, last night was my first swim .... and it kicked my butt.  I could only swim a lap or so without stopping to catch my breath and lower my heart rate.  I have alot to work on before my 600yd OW on May 30. 

I started swimming about a year ago and was in the same exact situation.  Before triathlon, swimming to me was being able to keep myself from drowning for a short period of time as well.  My first "swim workout" i made a total of about 300 yards, and that was stopping after ever 25 yard link of the pool.  A couple of weekends ago I swam my first quarter distance at Lone Star and felt incredibly comfortable!  To add to everyone else's advise, keep swimming.  There is no substitute for time spent in the water.  Keep it up and you will be fine.

P.S. If your local pool has a master swim class or even private lessons it might be worth looking into. No since in reinventing the wheel (or how to swim) if you can get someone to show you!

2009-04-21 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2101371

Elite
Texas
JeepFleeb - 2009-04-21 7:51 PM I just love BT.

I'll give Ron and Marmadaddy money just to make sure this place is always here.

x2. I'm not sure I use any of the features that are afforded to me over and above the free membership. I have a compulsive planning disorder so making plans myself makes me happy. That's why I had to give up having a coach of my own (why would I pay someone to take away all of my fun?) But I've been here almost 5 years and I can't put a price on what I've taken away. I've met both Ron and Marma, and they are awesome guys. And I've met (in person) over 100 people through the site. Most of my best real life friends are people I met here.

Edited by Bill 2009-04-21 8:39 PM
2009-04-21 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2101382

Elite
Texas
TBriggs - 2009-04-21 7:58 PM

I started swimming about a year ago and was in the same exact situation.  Before triathlon, swimming to me was being able to keep myself from drowning for a short period of time as well.  My first "swim workout" i made a total of about 300 yards, and that was stopping after ever 25 yard link of the pool.  A couple of weekends ago I swam my first quarter distance at Lone Star and felt incredibly comfortable!  To add to everyone else's advise, keep swimming.  There is no substitute for time spent in the water.  Keep it up and you will be fine.

P.S. If your local pool has a master swim class or even private lessons it might be worth looking into. No since in reinventing the wheel (or how to swim) if you can get someone to show you!

Masters swim and private lessons are probably your best bets. Or if you have a tri club local, try to get involved and ask around there as well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26