BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-22 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2572472

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED!
triritter - 2009-12-22 6:24 AM Ironman 7 and mskjs ya'll need to change your settings off private. Nobody can see your logs

Thanks!

If they just add you as a friend I believe you can still see the logs, but not the rest of BT.  Assuming privacy is the reason of the lock.

2009-12-23 12:43 AM
in reply to: #2572469

New user

So. Miss

In regards to shinsplints, I agree with William; I believe they can come about any time even after years of training.  I ran track for 6 years in Middle and High School and every spring at the start of the season I would have them so bad that after a 200M sprint I would want to sit down.  I just took ibuprofen and after about a month they went away. 

Have you been off from running for over 2 months or so?  You may just need to condition the muscles again.  Also the heel striking can't be helping things.  Besides that you are basically slowing yourself down with every stride by landing on your heel.  So if you fall into the above situation of "just getting back into it", give it a while of consistent running.

2009-12-23 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2574232

User image

New user

Hello Emily,
You might want to check the nutrition privacy settings.  I was reading that the food will not show up if your settings for nutrition are set to private but the calorie counts will...  Take care Have a good day.
Lance
2009-12-23 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2563913

Little Rock, Arkansas
ok.. my two cents about shin splints....

Definitely caused by strain on anterior tibialis muscle... contributing factors can include anything from muscle imbalance calf to front to overuse to training on too hard of a surface to nutritional deficiencies.

What I tell my patients:
If they are mild and not getting worse, lay off a day or two with icing twice a day (i prefer using ice dixie cups for 5 mins directly on tissue), plus or minus on the deep tissue release, and then returning to running on an irregular soft surface (trails)... this helps prevent repetitive foot strike in the same position.

Also would be worthwhile having your 25-OH vitamin D level checked... something tons of people are deficient in and can provoke low bone mass, easier stress fractures...

If it continues to get worse... get an xray... dont want to miss a stress fracture and end up having to get a surgical repair...

Mike
2009-12-23 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2574632

User image

Veteran
Ironman7 - 2009-12-23 1:43 AM

In regards to shinsplints, I agree with William; I believe they can come about any time even after years of training.  I ran track for 6 years in Middle and High School and every spring at the start of the season I would have them so bad that after a 200M sprint I would want to sit down.  I just took ibuprofen and after about a month they went away. 

Have you been off from running for over 2 months or so?  You may just need to condition the muscles again.  Also the heel striking can't be helping things.  Besides that you are basically slowing yourself down with every stride by landing on your heel.  So if you fall into the above situation of "just getting back into it", give it a while of consistent running.

Now I've been off from running for two months- but I haven't tried again yet, so I'm not sure if the shin splints will come back. In the past, they've occurred after running consistently and only got better when I stopped. :(
2009-12-23 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2574872

User image

Veteran
lvernon - 2009-12-23 9:19 AM Hello Emily,
You might want to check the nutrition privacy settings.  I was reading that the food will not show up if your settings for nutrition are set to private but the calorie counts will...  Take care Have a good day.
Lance

Thanks Lance- everything, as far as I can tell, is public, so I think it's just the way it's set up. After I get a feel for how many calories and carbs/protein/fat I've been taking in for a week or two, I'm going to switch to just listing the food. Much easier!

2009-12-23 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2574992

User image

Veteran
mcassat - 2009-12-23 9:59 AM ok.. my two cents about shin splints....

Definitely caused by strain on anterior tibialis muscle... contributing factors can include anything from muscle imbalance calf to front to overuse to training on too hard of a surface to nutritional deficiencies.

What I tell my patients:
If they are mild and not getting worse, lay off a day or two with icing twice a day (i prefer using ice dixie cups for 5 mins directly on tissue), plus or minus on the deep tissue release, and then returning to running on an irregular soft surface (trails)... this helps prevent repetitive foot strike in the same position.

Also would be worthwhile having your 25-OH vitamin D level checked... something tons of people are deficient in and can provoke low bone mass, easier stress fractures...

If it continues to get worse... get an xray... dont want to miss a stress fracture and end up having to get a surgical repair...

Mike

Thanks Mike! Very interesting- I've never heard anything about a vitamin D deficiency causing bone problems. I am definitely going to avoid running on concrete- unfortunately, there are no trails near me, but there's a track at a school that's at least better than pavement. In the past, icing hasn't helped, even when I was really consistent with it, and my calves are actually pretty big for the size of my legs, so I'm stumped. And my shoes are old now, but I got them at a running store where they videotaped me running and fit me for sneakers that way, so I'd think they were pretty good...

I'm interested to see what happens this time around when I focus on my form. I'll keep you all posted once I get a new pair of shoes and hit the streets! :) Thanks for all the ideas.
2009-12-23 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2575294

User image

Veteran

Emily:
I agree with Mike. Changing my footstrike was definitly helpful for me along with getting a great pair of shoes. Be picky when choosing the shoes. I really made sure my foot landed "square" from the rear view on video so that I had no pronation. But the most important improvement was improving my running form. Thereafter I had no further experiences with shinspints.
-----
Jeff

2009-12-23 12:43 PM

Little Rock, Arkansas
Emily-

Thats the probably two most important pieces of information... If your calves are overdeveloped in relation to your anterior tibialis muscle it will cause anterior shin splints... even if they arent overdeveloped but just tight same problem.  Other important thing you said was the age of your shoes... shoes have a limited life.. not just in use, but sometimes depending on brand a shelf life as well.  They should be replaced every 2-300 miles, or every 6 months...

A good exercise that you can do, 3-4 times per week is: Stand with your back against the wall for support, lift the front of your foot off the ground forcibly for 5 seconds... shoot for a goal of 30 reps, building slowly... once you can do them 30 times, repeat it another set...

Ice your shins with a dixie cup of ice, right on the shin for 5 mins a side right after running

Really work on your calf flexibility...

And being up north, definitely get your vitamin d level checked

Hope that helps...
2009-12-23 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2574377

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
muddycreek - 2009-12-22 8:09 PM Hey, smeador;Wednesday doesn't have to be difficult!It's actually a good shot at a GOOD lean steak- ever notice how you have to get a pretty fatty steak at a cheap place to get much flavor? Ruth's Chris should be able to pull off a great lean cut for you- keep it down to 8-10 ounces, then challenge the chef to knock your socks off with a crapload of vegetables, moderate olive oil and salt, and whatever spices he can come up with.Stick tight to that, then do whatever you want for dessert and don't feel bad about it at all.Bet it's fantastic, and will break up the chef's monotony at work.

Great and VERY welcome suggestion Jon!
2009-12-23 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2575475

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I have been dealing with shin pain over the past month and a half (caused a DNF a few weeks ago). The podiatrist told me it was due my calves being very well developed versus my shin muscles. Her script was stretch stretch and stretch. I now stretch the lower body almost every day instead of just after runs or rides. This has hellped tremendously.

2009-12-24 12:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, Fl
Slightly off topic, But I hope everyone is being safe out there driving over the holidays. I spent almost all day in the car for a drive that should have taken about 7 hrs. Traffic is nuts and I'm pooped, but I'm where I wanted to be for Christmas. Cheers,Bear
2009-12-24 12:04 PM

User image

Tyler,
Hello-

It's good to see the group being active on here and talking amongst yourself. Very nice advice on the shin splints.

A few things make sure some of you are being more active on your logs and the forum. Also be sure you are writing more encouragement among each other, it helps keep the motivation high. Some of us live in towns where you maybe the only triathlete in your area, so it helps to have some words of encouragement from people.

Finally you all have a Merry Christmas, take a day off or two and spend with your families and enjoy the dinners (you still have to write it down though   but you are allowed to slack up a little, it is off-season by the way.

Also try to stay warm it got cold in Texas over the night. They say there is snow in Fort Worth, Tx right now.  Temperatures are expected to get in the low 20s for a few days and that is cold to us Texans.

God Bless!!!
2009-12-24 4:23 PM

User image

Veteran
William thanks for the tip on the small towns. Encouragement is always welcome as well as suggestions.
Question: I am relearing how to swim. That said, I am having trouble getting started on a technique to breath on my left side. Every time I do it something happens to my pattern and then I miss a breath. Then I get frustrated and just breath on my right. I do that pretty well and keeping my belly to the wall when I breath. Is there a specific training stroke to cause me to become more efficient breathing from side to side or from either side? I am asking mainly because I have read that breathing from either side is a must when at the start of the race the water can be very turbulent and beginners may have a rough time if they only can breath from one side. Any truth to that?

Merry Xmas to everyone. I hope everyone has a great holiday season
-----
Jeff
2009-12-24 10:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, Fl
3.36 miles today, kinda cold, kinda hilly, kinda slow... But Very glad I got out and ran. Merry Christmas!!!
2009-12-24 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2577236

User image

Tyler,
StrayDog - 2009-12-24 4:23 PM William thanks for the tip on the small towns. Encouragement is always welcome as well as suggestions.
Question: I am relearing how to swim. That said, I am having trouble getting started on a technique to breath on my left side. Every time I do it something happens to my pattern and then I miss a breath. Then I get frustrated and just breath on my right. I do that pretty well and keeping my belly to the wall when I breath. Is there a specific training stroke to cause me to become more efficient breathing from side to side or from either side? I am asking mainly because I have read that breathing from either side is a must when at the start of the race the water can be very turbulent and beginners may have a rough time if they only can breath from one side. Any truth to that?

Merry Xmas to everyone. I hope everyone has a great holiday season
-----
Jeff

So are learning how to breathe bilaterally then? I usually take small steps when learning myself or teaching someone else. To learn to breathe on your left, practice with it every breath until starts to feel a little more natural. Also make sure your rotating with hips and shoulders equally on both sides, usually your weaker side is less efficient. 

Yes you are right, bilateral breathing will help your open water swimming, if there is more waves coming from one direction or if the sun is on one side and plus it helps you swim straight. 

I have found this site helpful www.swimsmooth.com 

2009-12-25 11:50 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

so what your saying is you want us to fill out the nutrition log?  That is more scary to me than writing down what I spend money on

2009-12-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2577554

My nutrition log will start tomorrow...

I'm 8 weeks into a 'biggest loser' contest at work, and I'm down 20.5 pounds, 202.5 to 182.  My goal for the last weigh in is 168 (which I will probably weigh for a grand total of three hours- I used to wrestle, I know the 'last five pounds in a few hours' gig... hey, this is for money).  After that, I'll stay between 170 and 180 for the next six hundred years or so.

So, my nutrition has been great, up until Christmas Eve and Christmas, which was totally planned.  I still have most of a pumpkin pie to polish off today before I get back in the (proverbial) saddle. 
2009-12-25 5:05 PM

User image

Tyler,

Hey guys hope Christmas is going well.

I hope the tempo run tomorrow doesn't hurt too bad from the food I am about to eat.  

2009-12-25 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2577632

User image

Veteran
muddycreek - 2009-12-25 3:07 PM My nutrition log will start tomorrow...

I'm 8 weeks into a 'biggest loser' contest at work, and I'm down 20.5 pounds, 202.5 to 182.  My goal for the last weigh in is 168 (which I will probably weigh for a grand total of three hours- I used to wrestle, I know the 'last five pounds in a few hours' gig... hey, this is for money).  After that, I'll stay between 170 and 180 for the next six hundred years or so.

So, my nutrition has been great, up until Christmas Eve and Christmas, which was totally planned.  I still have most of a pumpkin pie to polish off today before I get back in the (proverbial) saddle. 

Awesome job with the weight loss! And I'm a big believer in "cheat" meals/days/weeks when necessary. I think it's good for your mental health- if you deny yourself all the time, food becomes a fixation instead of just food. (At least for me and others I've known.) So enjoy the days off. And Merry Christmas, y'all! (I am starting to love the "y'all"- it's so useful!)
2009-12-25 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
PS- Thanks everyone for the shin splints tips! I will let you know how it goes. Went out for a walk/run yesterday, about to do the same today. I'm going to focus on verrrry slow increase in distance/intensity, trying for the mid-foot strike, buying a new pair of sneakers, stretching consistently, and icing (when I remember/can tolerate even more cold!).

PPS- Good job to the Christmas Eve/Day runners! Go get it!

2009-12-25 9:38 PM

Little Rock, Arkansas

Is it too early to just consider today carb loading?  for like the next 10 races? lol

Hope everyone had a great and safe christmas.

Mike

2009-12-25 10:57 PM

New user

So. Miss
Ok so about my training routine.  Since I don't have a lot of time to get online, I'm going to describe the first 10 weeks of what I do all at once since it's pretty much the same the whole time.  Any advice would be great as to whether this is a good strategy.  Also, I most likely won't be filling out my food because I don't even know what I'm eating half the time in the cafeteria here.  I do eat 5-6 times a day and during my last training "season" this summer I lost 13 pounds.  So I watch what I eat as best I can with what they're serving.

Now the training.  I read an article by Mark Allen once about building a base.  So what I have been doing for the first 10 weeks of my seasons is gradually building up my volume of training while staying at a low intensity.  I am about to start my 4th week of this season.  Here is out it goes:  (I can only run and bike here so no swim stuff)

Weeks 1-2: Run 2 miles, 3 times/wk with HR at 145-150, usually at a 9 min/mile pace.  Bike 20 minutes 3 times/wk w/ HR at 130-135, cadence at 70 rpm. 

Weeks 3-4:  Add .5 miles to run, 5 minutes to the bike.  Same intensities.  4th week is somewhat easier as a recovery week.

Weeks 5-6:  Add .5 miles to run, 5 minutes to the bike.  Same intensities.

Weeks 7-8:  Add .5 miles to run (up to 3.5 total now), & 5 minutes to the bike (up to 35 min now).  Same intensities, week 8 is a bit easier as a recovery week.

Weeks 9-10:  Add .5 miles to run, 5 minutes to the bike and increase the intensity by 5-10 bpm on the HR.  This is the last weeks of my base phase. 

I'll report later what I do for the build phase.  Hope this gives an idea as to my methods.  I know different things work for everyone but I didn't see quite the improvement on my run times from the beginning to the end of my last training season.  I know this looks pretty boring, and it does get that way around week 6-7 but it's supposed to condition my body to use fat as fuel and not glycogen.  Also to prepare the tendons and ligaments for the more intense training later.  Again, any advice or personal experience is welcome.

Phillip
2009-12-25 11:14 PM
in reply to: #2577632

User image

Veteran
Jon, kudos on the weight loss.  Way to stay "hungry" for a better lifestyle.
----
Jeff
2009-12-26 7:25 AM
in reply to: #2577894

User image

Tyler,
Ironman7 - 2009-12-25 10:57 PM Ok so about my training routine.  Since I don't have a lot of time to get online, I'm going to describe the first 10 weeks of what I do all at once since it's pretty much the same the whole time.  Any advice would be great as to whether this is a good strategy.  Also, I most likely won't be filling out my food because I don't even know what I'm eating half the time in the cafeteria here.  I do eat 5-6 times a day and during my last training "season" this summer I lost 13 pounds.  So I watch what I eat as best I can with what they're serving.

Now the training.  I read an article by Mark Allen once about building a base.  So what I have been doing for the first 10 weeks of my seasons is gradually building up my volume of training while staying at a low intensity.  I am about to start my 4th week of this season.  Here is out it goes:  (I can only run and bike here so no swim stuff)

Weeks 1-2: Run 2 miles, 3 times/wk with HR at 145-150, usually at a 9 min/mile pace.  Bike 20 minutes 3 times/wk w/ HR at 130-135, cadence at 70 rpm. 

Weeks 3-4:  Add .5 miles to run, 5 minutes to the bike.  Same intensities.  4th week is somewhat easier as a recovery week.

Weeks 5-6:  Add .5 miles to run, 5 minutes to the bike.  Same intensities.

Weeks 7-8:  Add .5 miles to run (up to 3.5 total now), & 5 minutes to the bike (up to 35 min now).  Same intensities, week 8 is a bit easier as a recovery week.

Weeks 9-10:  Add .5 miles to run, 5 minutes to the bike and increase the intensity by 5-10 bpm on the HR.  This is the last weeks of my base phase. 

I'll report later what I do for the build phase.  Hope this gives an idea as to my methods.  I know different things work for everyone but I didn't see quite the improvement on my run times from the beginning to the end of my last training season.  I know this looks pretty boring, and it does get that way around week 6-7 but it's supposed to condition my body to use fat as fuel and not glycogen.  Also to prepare the tendons and ligaments for the more intense training later.  Again, any advice or personal experience is welcome.

Phillip

you are right, my coach brent poulsen (life sport) was talking to me about the same things for January using fat for fuel.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17