Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-01-06 5:47 AM
in reply to: #2578417

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: sbreaux's group CLOSED!!!
Thanks for the information on the rollers - I'll give them a go when I'm next in the gym. I often get problems when I'm doing long runs with my hips and back so hopefully this'll help.

Running in the cold - I find it a personal thing, the problem with anything that covers your mouth and nose is that the condensation will make it soggy. If it's really freezing but no wind I tend to wear a hat and gloves and light jacket but always tend to end up taking the gloves off.
If it's freezing with wind I'll also wear a buff (http://www.buffwear.co.uk/) round my neck that I can pull up to cover my chin and mouth if needs be.

Good luck,
Kate

2010-01-06 7:12 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
I'm the same Kate, I hate that soggy feeling and I always end up stripping things off and stuffing them in pockets as I warm up. I agree the neck thing is brilliant and used to wear them all the time on my bike when I lived in Edinburgh. My RR is done http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... Hope 2010 is being kind to everyone. David, I know it's so hard to go carefully, hate doing it myself and have injured myself by being too impatient. Baby steps suck.

Edited by daisymouse 2010-01-06 7:12 AM
2010-01-06 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2596819

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
miguelthai - 2010-01-05 10:15 PM OK, question for folks who live in cold areas.  As someone living in Southern California I don't have to worry about such things.  But this weekend I'm in NYC and I'm supposed to do a 15 mile long run as part of my marathon training.

I've got a hat and some running gloves and I think I should be able to figure out layers to wear but should I worry about anything to cover my face?  It's supposed to be in the 20's.  What else should I worry/prepare for?

Living in Denver, I regularly run in cold temps.  20 degrees shouldn't be any problem.  I usually have a knit cap covering my ears, one long sleeve wicking shirt, then a heavier wicking pullover.  I usually put on running tights wtih wool socks.  I have two sets of gloves depending on how cold it is.  You shouldn't need anything to cover your face and you will actually warm up after a mile or two and feel perfect.  Maybe carry a tube of aquaphor with you to put on your face before you head out the door, and that should help.  Since you are doing 15, you will want to get out of those wet clothes immediately following your run, especially if you will remain outside.  Also remember you still need to hydrate even in cold temps.  Watch for ice if there is snow on the ground. 

Scott
2010-01-06 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2596819

User image

New York, New York
Hi Michael,

It's a bummer I'm heading out of town this weekend, otherwise I'd come meet you for part of your run (assuming that is you'd want the company )  If you're looking for any good run routes (other than Central Park - which has some fun little hills) - definitely look at the pathes along the Hudson and East River.

Enjoy the city,

jl
2010-01-06 9:23 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

You guys are lucky to have Scott as a Mentor!  He is a wealth of Knowledge and a great guy to boot!  Can I sign up too Scott! 

Best!

Coach Dills

2010-01-06 9:37 AM

User image

New user

Thanks for the advice on the cold and sorry you won't be around JL, I'd certainly enjoy the company.

I'll probably do the run in Central Park as I really love that place.

2010-01-06 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Great tips, everyone!  Even though I'm from a cold climate, I'm still learning the ropes about running outdoors in the cold (all my previous winter running experience involved a gym & a treadmill).  I just recently learned the soggy scarf dilemma during my long run on Sunday, and I wasn't really sure how to resolve that issue.  My runner friends advised me to run toward the wind during the first half of your run, and against the wind for the second half.
2010-01-06 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2597391

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
markdills38 - 2010-01-06 8:23 AM

You guys are lucky to have Scott as a Mentor!  He is a wealth of Knowledge and a great guy to boot!  Can I sign up too Scott! 

Best!

Coach Dills

HA!  Maybe I'll recruit you to come lead a discussion or two.  Glad that you're checking in on me, make sure you call me out if I say something stupid.  And maybe I'll see you at a race this winter........
Scott
2010-01-06 3:59 PM

User image

Aurora, CO
Hey Scott,

Do you have any suggestions on what store(s) in our area I can go to and find Triathlon Gear?  perferably at decent prices.

I am not sure exactly what I will need for the Triathlon Spint in August.  I have a few other questions on how to go about competing.

Thanks,
Randy 
2010-01-06 5:15 PM
in reply to: #2598686

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
scooter4867 - 2010-01-06 2:59 PM Hey Scott,

Do you have any suggestions on what store(s) in our area I can go to and find Triathlon Gear?  perferably at decent prices.

I am not sure exactly what I will need for the Triathlon Spint in August.  I have a few other questions on how to go about competing.

Thanks,
Randy 

Hey Randy.  Being that I am a member of the Bikesource Multisport club, I usually buy my apparel and accessories there as I can get a small discount.  Other stores that sell tri stuff include Bicycle Village in Aurora and Runners Roost.  You may not find anything at decent prices though.    You can also find some deals on www.all3sports.com, www.insideoutsports.com, www.trisports.com and www.desotosport.com.  I believe Boulder Running Co may have a selection of tri apparel.  There is/was a tri store in Parker but the name escapes me right now......

The only essential piece of clothing you need is tri shorts.  Will your sprint be a pool or open water swim?  If it is a pool swim, you can go without a shirt for the swim, then put on a shirt/bike jersey in T1.  Same goes for an open water swim.  You don't really need to wear a shirt under a wetsuit. 

Scott

Edited by sbreaux 2010-01-06 5:25 PM
2010-01-06 7:01 PM

User image

Montana

Re: cold weather running

I just got in from a run at 8 degrees and was warm except for my face. I have found that Dermatone skin protector on your cheeks and nose usually works pretty well to help against frost bite, wind burn, etc. Forgot it today though. Other than that layers, mittens, hats and vests work well for me! 

2010-01-06 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2598850

User image

Aurora, CO
Thanks Scott.

My Sprint will in at the Aurora Res. in August.  I wanted to know if it would be better to have a full body wetsuit or just swim in the Tri-shorts w/ Shirt.  Wanted a Tri store to see what my personal preference would actuall be.
2010-01-06 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2599128

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
scooter4867 - 2010-01-06 6:42 PMThanks Scott.

My Sprint will in at the Aurora Res. in August.  I wanted to know if it would be better to have a full body wetsuit or just swim in the Tri-shorts w/ Shirt.  Wanted a Tri store to see what my personal preference would actuall be.
Understandable about wanting to visit an actual store. You may want to blog "Triathlon Sean" who can be found on my blog. I think he actually works at that store on occasion. He may be able to show you around a bit. I can also meet you at Bikesource at C470 and University any time, just let me know. As for your sprint, I've only done a couple of races at Aurora Res. but you will want a full body wetsuit. It is a cold water reservoir and doesn't warm up too much in the summer. There are people that swim without a wetsuit, it just depends on your tolerance for the cold. I'm a wimp.........
2010-01-07 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2599351

User image

Aurora, CO
Thanks for the info Scott.  I will take you up on the "Bikesource" a little later.  Right now I am planning on going to the "Runners Roost" by my work (Arapahoe Rd / Parker Rd) early next week to see what they have in Tri-shorts and Wetsuits.  I am planning on getting a Wetsuit ~ I am not fond of cold water either, plus it is supposed to help with buoyancy.
2010-01-07 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Haha.  I, too, am a cold water wimp AND I don't like to work too hard... so I always wear my wetsuit for my OWS's just to keep warm, and so that I don't have to work so hard to stay afloat Wink  I love my wetsuit!

Anyways, I was just invited to an indoor trainer Super Bowl party, where everyone brings their trainer's to my friend's house, and we eat/drink/watch the super bowl while riding our bikes.  Unfortunately, I don't own a trainer, though I've been meaning to buy one for a while.  Does anyone have any recs on what to get?  I noticed they vary in price significantly, and I don't really know the difference between all of them.  Is it the noise?  Smoothness?  Ease of use?
2010-01-07 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2600977

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
yogachic - 2010-01-07 1:34 PM Haha.  I, too, am a cold water wimp AND I don't like to work too hard... so I always wear my wetsuit for my OWS's just to keep warm, and so that I don't have to work so hard to stay afloat Wink  I love my wetsuit!

Anyways, I was just invited to an indoor trainer Super Bowl party, where everyone brings their trainer's to my friend's house, and we eat/drink/watch the super bowl while riding our bikes.  Unfortunately, I don't own a trainer, though I've been meaning to buy one for a while.  Does anyone have any recs on what to get?  I noticed they vary in price significantly, and I don't really know the difference between all of them.  Is it the noise?  Smoothness?  Ease of use?

This is not something I have experience with, so I found a thread in BT.  If you are going to buy new, the fluid trainers will set you back ~$400 while the mag trainers will run about $200.  From what I've read, the fluid trainers will give you the best feel of the outside road, but there is a risk of leaking fluid.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=192437&posts=11&mid=2598492&highlight=fluid+magnetic+trainers&highlightmode=1&action=search#M2598492

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2544647;search_string=fluid%20magnetic%20trainers;guest=83281772&t=search_engine#2544647

2010-01-08 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2601755

User image

Expert
sbreaux - 2010-01-07 8:07 PM
yogachic - 2010-01-07 1:34 PM Haha.  I, too, am a cold water wimp AND I don't like to work too hard... so I always wear my wetsuit for my OWS's just to keep warm, and so that I don't have to work so hard to stay afloat Wink  I love my wetsuit!

This is not something I have experience with, so I found a thread in BT.  If you are going to buy new, the fluid trainers will set you back ~$400 while the mag trainers will run about $200.  From what I've read, the fluid trainers will give you the best feel of the outside road, but there is a risk of leaking fluid.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=192437&posts=11&mid=2598492&highlight=fluid+magnetic+trainers&highlightmode=1&action=search#M2598492

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2544647;search_string=fluid%20magnetic%20trainers;guest=83281772&t=search_engine#2544647

Thanks to the links!  I will look them over when I get the chance!
2010-01-08 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
I bought a really cheap mag trainer last winter and it's been fantastic. I got a cheap one because I didn't know how much I'd use it but I used it heaps over winter because it just rained constantly and have used it this summer when it's been to hot to stray too far from the air-con. Noise-wise it's fine, I can cycle it just outside my son's bedroom in the evening and he doesn't stir. I wish it was a bit smoother but it was really good value for money. I love the idea of a party, it would be great to have a chum to cycle with; a few evenings this winter, my son was having trouble sleeping and he would keep me company while I cycled. We watched cooking programs and chatted - it was gorgeous (he's only 5).
2010-01-09 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
FYI, there are a couple of trainer threads in Triathlon Talk. I guess fluid trainers are in the $250-$300 range. Consensus is cyclops or Kurt Kinetic Fluid trainers........
2010-01-10 9:39 PM

User image

Expert
Cool, I think I will keep my eye out for people selling used cyclops/kurt kinetic trainers.  I'm not sure how much I want to spend on one just yet since I don't know how much I'll be using it either.  But I've had friends recommend spinnerval dvd's etc to me, so maybe I'll get some of those too.

Daisy - are you part of a tri club?  Maybe there's one in your area you can join?  I love my club, and there's always someone willing to do workouts, etc with you.  If I ever was bored and didn't want to do a workout by myself, I can almost always find someone to train with.  It's great!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!  Happy training!!

Edited by yogachic 2010-01-10 9:41 PM
2010-01-11 11:22 AM

User image

New user

Took everyone's great cold weather advice and got out there this last Saturday in Central Park.  It was about 20 degrees (F) and wasn't too bad!

Funny thing was that they were having a big 10K race out there and when I was about 1/4 mile in front on the starting line they shot off the gun and I had to contend with a couple thousand folks from there on out.

The cold felt good though.

2010-01-11 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2607637

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
miguelthai - 2010-01-11 10:22 AMTook everyone's great cold weather advice and got out there this last Saturday in Central Park.  It was about 20 degrees (F) and wasn't too bad!

Funny thing was that they were having a big 10K race out there and when I was about 1/4 mile in front on the starting line they shot off the gun and I had to contend with a couple thousand folks from there on out.

The cold felt good though.
You didn't try to outrun them?
2010-01-11 11:26 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
so jealous (1) because you got to run in Central Park and (2) that it was lovely and cold; we're forecast temps of 108F on Sunday
2010-01-12 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Bike set up, I know that we're supposed to set up the bike to have a high seat compared to the bars but I've always avoided this as I have a hard enough time keeping my weight off my wrists as it is without tipping my weight forward. How optimal is this? My thinking is that I can deal with the seat lower until I loose weight and improve my core strength to be able to hold the weight off. Is this O.K?
2010-01-12 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2609119

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Kate_r - 2010-01-12 6:16 AM Bike set up, I know that we're supposed to set up the bike to have a high seat compared to the bars but I've always avoided this as I have a hard enough time keeping my weight off my wrists as it is without tipping my weight forward. How optimal is this? My thinking is that I can deal with the seat lower until I loose weight and improve my core strength to be able to hold the weight off. Is this O.K?

First, let me say that it would be ideal to go to a bike shop and have someone look at your set up in order to get you in a proper position.  Are we talking tri bike or road bike? 

I guess it depends on the distance of most of your races.  If you are doing shorter distances, you can get away with being in a more aggressive position that may not be completely comfortable.  Longer distances, you want as much comfort as possible without giving up too much of the aero benefits.  But it all comes down to being comfortable on the bike and whatever that position is, stick with it. 

You probably shouldn't adjust the saddle as you could get into some knee issues or won't be utilizing the proper muscles in order to give you optimal power output.  In general, to determine proper seat height, sit on your saddle unclipped and place one of your heels on your clips at the 6 o'clock position.  Your leg should be completely straight or within an inch either way.  Another way is to get up out of your saddle while clipped and have one leg at the 6 o'clock position.  You should feel your butt just touch your saddle.  Once you have your seat in the proper position, take a look at knee placement at the 3 o'clock position.  The front of your knee should line up directly on top of the middle of the balls of your feet.  Any differences one way or the other will cause either front or back of knee pain.  Use a piece of string with something weighted tied at one end and then line it on your knee.   You also need to be make sure you have a proper stem length so you have supportive weight on both the bars and saddle.  Also like you mentioned, you don't want your stem to be so short that you feel like you are going to tip over the handlebars.  Let me stop there, and maybe this will generate more questions.  Here is a short video on basic bike fit. 

http://www.graspr.com/videos/Part-1-of-Bike-Fit-from-www-multisportcast-tv
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » sbreaux's group CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 9