BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-01-14 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2611032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Aflores - 2010-01-13 1:58 AM

I just finished reading "Transformed by Triathlon - The Making of an Improbable Athlete" by Jane Booth.  Fun, easy, and very motivating.  Now I'm reading Racing Weight and the Athlete's Plate.  

I've been fortunate, the weather has been great in Southern California, it was in the 80 yesterday and today.  I'm hoping the Pasadena Marathon will be a beautiful day.

This Thursday is my Tri 101 class at the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center, it was post posted from last week because of the BCS at the Rose Bowl.

At the end of the month I'm going to check out the Tri Convention in San Diego, I've never been to one, so it will be a fun first.  

I hope everyone is doing well.  Which triathlons, runs or rides are you all training for? 

I am JEALOUS of your weather. Let us know how your tri 101 class goes.
-Tim

2010-01-15 8:01 AM
in reply to: #2583571

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Orthotics are a wonderful thing. I have been having nagging pains in my shins, ankles, and calves for a few weeks now. One run in the orthotics and even though I still have that one spot in the right calf muscle that hurts, most of the other issues are already fading into memory. I know I'm a bit eager, after all, it was only one really short run, but my legs haven't NOT hurt this much in weeks.
2010-01-15 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
hey gang....

Just a friendly reminder (I swear I am not trying to rub it in), that Laura and I are off to Costa Rica for our honeymoon tomorrow. If you have any last minute questions, please post them today and I'll do my best to respond before we jet away tomorrow.

Keep training & keep smiling!
-Tim
2010-01-15 11:03 AM
in reply to: #2612244

User image

cjonestri - 2010-01-13 2:33 PM

Okay, I think I've added everyone in our group to my listing and hope no one is offended by that.  Please let me know if you’re seeing it now.  Thanks!

AirCav

I don't know what that means when you say you've added us to your group listing.  I am still learning my way around this site.

Aileen

2010-01-15 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2615882

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Aflores - 2010-01-15 12:03 PM

cjonestri - 2010-01-13 2:33 PM

Okay, I think I've added everyone in our group to my listing and hope no one is offended by that.  Please let me know if you’re seeing it now.  Thanks!

AirCav

I don't know what that means when you say you've added us to your group listing.  I am still learning my way around this site.

Aileen

Aileen -

When you look at your own Training Log, scroll down on the left and you'll see a section titled "Friends". There should be a "+" in the header. If you click on this you can add other ppl's BT handle and then they will appear in this section. Then when you are viewing yoru logs, you can easily click on someone else's and see their training.

Here is the link to my training log. you can scroll down and look left to see what I am talking about.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly....

-Tim
2010-01-15 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2615519

User image

Hey Tim and Laura,
Hey, go ahead and enjoy that honeymoon!   We'll all suffer in the cooler climates while ya'll frolic in the tropics.   Just remember to bring us back something, okay?  

Frank

2010-01-18 6:58 PM

New user
Hey everyone  haven't heard from anyone in a while  hope all is well  I am still working a lot but doing what I can to stay involved.  We have af TV anchor lady out of Jacksonville who sponsors a 26.6 mile and 1/2 mile marathon yearly.  Jax is over a hour away and can't make the trainings so I inquired into starting one here, wish me luck.  I already have some ladies interested, just need some sponsors and time to do the trainings.  Wish me luck.  After reading an article on this web site  about an 50 and 84 yr old who are both doing triathelons I feel I can do anything.  What a inspiration.  Hope everyone is sticking in there and hope to hear from someone soon
2010-01-21 10:46 PM

User image

Just last week I was gloating about how wonder the weather is out here while you are all in cold weather.  It came back to haunt me, it's been raining so hard out in Southern California and I haven't been able to work out.  We don't react well to rain here in California, so I have used every excuse in the book to not train at all.  I know I will feel it when I finally run tomorrow.

I hope training is going well for everyone else!  I can't wait to hear about how you all do in the events you have all signed up for. 
2010-01-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2620559

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Youngatheart - 2010-01-18 7:58 PM

Hey everyone  haven't heard from anyone in a while  hope all is well  I am still working a lot but doing what I can to stay involved.  We have af TV anchor lady out of Jacksonville who sponsors a 26.6 mile and 1/2 mile marathon yearly.  Jax is over a hour away and can't make the trainings so I inquired into starting one here, wish me luck.  I already have some ladies interested, just need some sponsors and time to do the trainings.  Wish me luck.  After reading an article on this web site  about an 50 and 84 yr old who are both doing triathelons I feel I can do anything.  What a inspiration.  Hope everyone is sticking in there and hope to hear from someone soon

Great idea to start one in your own area. Good luck!
2010-01-23 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2628080

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Aflores - 2010-01-21 11:46 PM

Just last week I was gloating about how wonder the weather is out here while you are all in cold weather.  It came back to haunt me, it's been raining so hard out in Southern California and I haven't been able to work out.  We don't react well to rain here in California, so I have used every excuse in the book to not train at all.  I know I will feel it when I finally run tomorrow.

I hope training is going well for everyone else!  I can't wait to hear about how you all do in the events you have all signed up for. 

Did you have to be evacuated or anything? The pictures on the news look really bad out there, anything bad for you like mudslides? Hope you get that run in.
2010-01-27 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Hey gang...we are back!! I'll try and catch up over the next day or two with the posts I missed. Hope everyone is doing well.

-Tim

2010-01-28 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2637087

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
konichiwa - 2010-01-27 10:23 AM

Hey gang...we are back!! I'll try and catch up over the next day or two with the posts I missed. Hope everyone is doing well.

-Tim

Welcome back! Hope you two had a great time.
2010-01-28 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2639383

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Atlantia - 2010-01-28 9:13 AM
Welcome back! Hope you two had a great time.

We had a great time, thanks!! I tell you what though, after running at home in mostly sub-freezings temps, the high 80s to 90 degree temps in CR were tough!! I was so much slower on the few short runs I did down there.

So how is everyone in the group? Everyone suriving the winter and getting some solid base training in?

-tim
2010-01-30 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2630304

User image

Atlantia - 2010-01-23 9:46 AM 

Did you have to be evacuated or anything? The pictures on the news look really bad out there, anything bad for you like mudslides? Hope you get that run in.

Thanks for asking and sorry I am just getting back to you.  We were safe during the storms and luckily there were no injuries throughout the southland.  We are back to nice weather but more rain next week.  I managed to get in some good runs!  I hope all is going well with your training! 
2010-01-30 11:24 PM

User image

I went to a Triathlon Expo in San Diego and it was amazing! First of all it was free, hosted by Competitor Magazine! There were so many people. They had tons of booths and free clinics. We got to sit in and listen to Dr. Allen Lim, who works with Lance Armstrong, then we got to go to a swim clinic with Jim Vance (he also writes for Triathlete magazine), then a nutritionist Matt Fitzgerald who wrote a book called Racing Weight, Chris Carmichael spoke about his experience with training Lance, Craig Alexander talked about his triathlon experience. It was so amazing. It was their first-ever event and it was such a success, I'm sure they'll start charging next year.It was awesome, got me even more motivated to do a tri!!!!
2010-01-31 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2645255

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Aflores - 2010-01-31 12:24 AM

I went to a Triathlon Expo in San Diego and it was amazing! First of all it was free, hosted by Competitor Magazine! There were so many people. They had tons of booths and free clinics. We got to sit in and listen to Dr. Allen Lim, who works with Lance Armstrong, then we got to go to a swim clinic with Jim Vance (he also writes for Triathlete magazine), then a nutritionist Matt Fitzgerald who wrote a book called Racing Weight, Chris Carmichael spoke about his experience with training Lance, Craig Alexander talked about his triathlon experience. It was so amazing. It was their first-ever event and it was such a success, I'm sure they'll start charging next year.It was awesome, got me even more motivated to do a tri!!!!

The expo sounds like a great time. I'm jealous. I got to run in sub freezing weather all wknd though

2010-02-02 12:24 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi gang!

Sorry I've been MIA since returning from the honeymoon. Not much spare time for BT; I have been slammed at work. I leave for a business trip next week, so not much in between the two trips to meet my deadlines. It sounds like people have been keeping busy despite the weather situations.

For those east-coasters who are competing with temperatures in the teens, what is your method to keeping warm? Last weekend's long run was quite miserable for me. My water bottle froze after mile 4 and I couldn't even get the nipple open for a sip here and there! My gus were the consistency of salt-water taffy! But worst of all is that my hands were absolutely frozen for the first half of the run (because it was into the headwind). Tim bought me lobster gloves ( http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3655860 ) and they help, but my fingers were still numb! 

2010-02-03 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I'm really worried about the snow. I can't run in more than 4-5 inches, its just too tough to pick up my feet. We're supposed to get walloped here again this weekend, and I was supposed to be flying to Florida for a few days. I'm not the best one to talk about beating the weather. It doesn't get much lower than the teens around here, with single digit wind chill. Nothing like further north. Plus, I never seem to get really cold. It has to be in the 20s for me to even break out my jacket and hat, anything warmer than that and I'm in a buff and a lined shirt.
My one cold weather go to item: a really good lip balm. I can't stand chapped lips.
2010-02-04 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2653115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Atlantia - 2010-02-03 4:16 PM

I'm really worried about the snow. I can't run in more than 4-5 inches, its just too tough to pick up my feet. We're supposed to get walloped here again this weekend, and I was supposed to be flying to Florida for a few days. I'm not the best one to talk about beating the weather. It doesn't get much lower than the teens around here, with single digit wind chill. Nothing like further north. Plus, I never seem to get really cold. It has to be in the 20s for me to even break out my jacket and hat, anything warmer than that and I'm in a buff and a lined shirt.
My one cold weather go to item: a really good lip balm. I can't stand chapped lips.

its crazy how much snow NoVA is getting...I have family and friends down there and we were joking that this is has to be one of the snowiest winters down there ever!
2010-02-05 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2653115

User image

Veteran

Atlantia - 2010-02-03 4:16 PM I'm really worried about the snow. I can't run in more than 4-5 inches, its just too tough to pick up my feet. We're supposed to get walloped here again this weekend, and I was supposed to be flying to Florida for a few days. I'm not the best one to talk about beating the weather. It doesn't get much lower than the teens around here, with single digit wind chill. Nothing like further north. Plus, I never seem to get really cold. It has to be in the 20s for me to even break out my jacket and hat, anything warmer than that and I'm in a buff and a lined shirt. My one cold weather go to item: a really good lip balm. I can't stand chapped lips.

Ditto on the lip balm. There is nothing worse than chapped lips! 

2010-02-05 12:03 PM

User image

I'm going for a swim today, the first time in a long time.  But this time it will be with a purpose and not for lounging.  I am a bit nervous, I've never been a strong swimmer.  Any tips?  

I was thinking of getting a swim coach to help take the nervous edge off. The thing is that I don't even know how to find a coach. I'm a bit scared.  I signed up for the Pasadena Sprint Tri.  When I saw the pool and found out how long a 150m was I almost fainted (not really, but you know what I mean).

I hope you are all doing well with your training.  I wish I lived near all of you so we could all train together.

Regards, take care, and stay warm,
Aileen

2010-02-05 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2657194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Aflores - 2010-02-05 1:03 PM

I'm going for a swim today, the first time in a long time.  But this time it will be with a purpose and not for lounging.  I am a bit nervous, I've never been a strong swimmer.  Any tips?  

I was thinking of getting a swim coach to help take the nervous edge off. The thing is that I don't even know how to find a coach. I'm a bit scared.  I signed up for the Pasadena Sprint Tri.  When I saw the pool and found out how long a 150m was I almost fainted (not really, but you know what I mean).

I hope you are all doing well with your training.  I wish I lived near all of you so we could all train together.

Regards, take care, and stay warm,
Aileen

Hey Aileen!!

Only tips I really have is to focus on your breathing and make sure you are looking straight down. If you look forward this raises your head, lowers your hips, and makes it much harder to swim.

As far as finding a coach I would:
- Ask any triathlete friends you may have
- Send and email to or check the website of your local tri team
- Post a msg in the forum for your state (IIRC you are on California - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?... )
- If all else fails, Google

Agreed, training in groups is so much fun!
-tim
2010-02-05 9:46 PM

User image

Thanks Tim, that is very helpful! I just posted something and I will remember to keep my face down rather than try to look ahead which would be my natural instinct since I'd be focused on making sure I don't run into the wall!- Aileen
2010-02-06 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
There's quite a bit of snow on the ground, but I'm not worried. I got all my planned runs in earlier this week, travel plans have be changed to March, and my fridge is full of beer. I have lots of rented movies, and I hoped to spend some time on the trainer this morning. Why can't I? A flat! I've never had a flat before. I'm feeling particularly dumb because I don't have any tools, tubes, or anything, and of course nothing is open in this storm. Do I just take a few days off? Can I ride on the trainer with a flat, or is that pointless?
2010-02-06 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2658488

User image

Atlantia - 2010-02-06 9:08 AMThere's quite a bit of snow on the ground, but I'm not worried. I got all my planned runs in earlier this week, travel plans have be changed to March, and my fridge is full of beer. I have lots of rented movies, and I hoped to spend some time on the trainer this morning. Why can't I? A flat! I've never had a flat before. I'm feeling particularly dumb because I don't have any tools, tubes, or anything, and of course nothing is open in this storm. Do I just take a few days off? Can I ride on the trainer with a flat, or is that pointless?
Hmmm, beer and movies, that's sounds like a great way to take a break =) I just learned how to change a flat, I had to since I will be doing my first sprint tri and my husband won't be there to help me with my flat. I don't know anything about trainers and flats. I hope you get the answer you need. Good luck, I guess I can't complain about our rain, considering how much snow you are getting.Tim - thanks for the tip about posting a question, I got some good recommendations for swimming training/coaches.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tim & Laura's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6