Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2010-01-11 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2606145

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Maine Rob's Group - Closed

jennifer65 - 2010-01-10 4:01 PM Well, i have done some stuff for the last week. For this upcoming week I intend to keep up with my  Leg/back stretches, do the core ex again at least once, do at least one actual triathlon sport (its starting to thaw a little here, and look at my nutrition -it could have less fat and more veg in my diet for a start.

And keep reading about what everyone else is doing. I am finding it pretty motivating. Laughing

Great! Small changes in the diet routine can make a big difference - substitute a few healthier things when you can, and it starts to get easier to more routinely make better food choices.

Nice wetsuit, by the way .

2010-01-11 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2589783

User image

Master
Maine

Zane - a waterslide? Seriously? That sounds hilarious - then again, I did a race last year which involved sliding down a hill either solo or with a partner before each leg of the race.

Finding that balance between staying consistent and beating yourself up when you miss a session is tough.  I've been training for tris for five years, and still feel that guilt some days if I miss a planned workout.

Ed - Zane gave some good advice on deciding whether to get a tri bike versus a road bike, but if you do decide to get a tri bike, the Felt S32 is a great choice.  That was my first tri bike, and it served me well for several seasons, including my first ironman.  As far as tri shorts, as long as you have some bike shorts then I wouldn't worry about getting tri shorts yet.  Like Becky mentioned, they are usually more expensive than bike shorts, and don't seem to last as long.  I have several pairs of cheap bike shorts from performancebike.com which have been great for everyday training, and have seen thousands of miles.

Ronda - if you can find another bike from a friend, or from craigslist, that would be great.  Having an ill-fitting bike will be very difficult to train and race with.  I would probably avoid super cheap bikes from discount stores, as I have seen a lot of problems with those (such as poor shifting).  Keep up the great work with the running too!

Becky - you're doing great with your training, and congratulations on keeping away from the soda.  Consistency over time will get you to that IM goal.  I remember freaking out when I was training for my first, especially at this time of the year, as I knew some people who were doing much more intense and long workouts. I stuck with my own plan, and things turned out great for me. Of course, freaking out and worrying is as much a part of IM training as swimming, biking, or running, so it is to be expected .

2010-01-11 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2607137

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Great! Small changes in the diet routine can make a big difference - substitute a few healthier things when you can, and it starts to get easier to more routinely make better food choices.

Nice wetsuit, by the way .

Thanks rob,
 It's the one I hired last year- it took me half hour to get into it (and longer to get the damn thing off) and is the nearest I got to an open water swim last year.   I am definitely going to get one in the water this year!!!
2010-01-11 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Maine

All that work to get it on, and you didn't even get to try it out - that's tough.  They are a lot easier to remove after swimming in them, if that's any encouragement.

2010-01-11 10:09 PM
in reply to: #2607116

aureua - 2010-01-11 8:54 AM As for me, I have been doing okay on the goal front.  I have made it to 3/3 morning spin workouts since the beginning of the year.  I am counting today even though the class was full when I arrived because a) I got up and went and b) I rode a spin bike on my own.

Hopefully a few more weeks of consistent training will make those feelings go away.

Getting into that routine is always the hardest part for me, but you are doing great! Once I make it through a couple of weeks of working out at the same time I don't even think about it.  It just becomes what I do.  I do most of my workouts on my lunch break because I have the luxery of long lunch's. I then shift to mornings in the summer because the heat kills me. On days off or if I have a meeting that goes long and prevents me from working out I am at a lost on what I am suppose to be doing with the extra time. People (non triathletes in training) don't get my routine, but they don't get why I would want to swim, bike, run, all in a row, all in one day. They always tell me that is not their idea of fun.  They don't get the high when you cross the finish line either. Laughing

Rob - Yes, a slide, seriously.  I guess not all races have to be completely serious, what fun would that be. lol.

2010-01-11 11:56 PM

User image

Today was tough I didn't want to run at all. My wife had minor surgery today so I was up with the baby all night. My 8 year pushed me to run so she could ride her bike. 5 miles later I feel much better about my day.

2010-01-12 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Way to get out there and do the run, while having some good family time! When the weather is decent I do the same thing with my 9 year old, although now that she has a bigger bike with gears, it's getting harder to keep up with her.

Edited by Maine Rob 2010-01-12 8:46 AM
2010-01-12 2:16 PM

Hi Rob, It's been a little heck tic at work but I managed to stay on track.  The program is pretty easy right now, I have been doing more on the swim than it indicates. It calls for 800.00yds in 35 min. and I am doing a mile.  I am not pushing it either so I guess thats fine.  Have been eating right during the week and weekends are a little rough (beer) ,if you know what I mean.  I also have been doing the weight and core program, the core stuff is great I never have done that stuff before, I was always into lifting.  I am looking for a road bike also but I am a little tight right now, I have been using the bikes at ballys.  I have totally blown off the race log, half because of time and the other because I don't know how to use it.

Take care Jim
2010-01-13 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2610073

User image

Master
Maine

That's great about the swimming Jim!

The log is just a tool, so you can use it however you want. Of course, how can we harass you if you don't use it .

Nutrition sounds good - it is tough to avoid some of the good stuff, especially on the weekends. I'm going with a group of friends on a snowmobiling trip this weekend, and we'll all be staying in a cabin Saturday night with lots of beer, steaks, and other food.  A little splurge once in a while is ok, right?

2010-01-13 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
I think its excellent to know that even the mentors cut loose occasionally. And a little of what's nice is surely good for the soul too.
Mind you, I can hardly talk, i was thinking as i walked into town today, with the snow nearly gone and my car nearly fixed - is it ok to be a fairweather triathlete?  I have seen people around all togged up and running in the snow - and i've seen pics on here of people on bikes in terrible conditions - but all I want to do is a sprint triathlon?. do I have to be rock hard as well??

J

please please all say its ok to waitfor the spring before I venture outside Undecided
2010-01-13 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
I think its excellent to know that even the mentors cut loose occasionally. And a little of what's nice is surely good for the soul too.
Mind you, I can hardly talk, i was thinking as i walked into town today, with the snow nearly gone and my car nearly fixed - is it ok to be a fairweather triathlete?  I have seen people around all togged up and running in the snow - and i've seen pics on here of people on bikes in terrible conditions - but all I want to do is a sprint triathlon?. do I have to be rock hard as well??

J

please please all say its ok to waitfor the spring before I venture outside Undecided

2010-01-13 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2612281

User image

I have to say I would not be big into running in the cold. When we were in CT I gained a lot of weight in the winter. I am much more suited to 80 degree winter days. The P90 that Rob is doing is a great indoor workout though.
2010-01-13 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2612281

User image

We've been pretty cold here in Atlanta as well.  I have been doing all of my biking indoors although I try to run outside whenever possible (even in the teens).  But I really do not like the treadmill and would rather put on lots of layers to run than to run on the treadmill.  Some days it is hard though. 
2010-01-13 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Maine

It's certainly understandable to not want to go out when it's really nasty weather, but everything you do now will make it easier for you in the spring .

2010-01-13 9:12 PM

Ok I am now the proud owner of a dusty, prolly way too heavy, but hardly used mountain bike.  I know, not ideal but hey it was only 40 bucks and it was the right size for me.  It was sitting in a neighbor's garage and they were happy to get rid of it cheap.  I figure I can at least start riding and my husband promises that if in 6 months, I have stuck with this, I can buy something else (prolly still not an expensive road/tri bike but something a little better). 

So wish me luck, its getting cleaned up and lubed/oiled (?) by the hubby and tomorrow I will try it out for longer than 2 minutes like tonite.  Now off to search for a helmet.

Ronda
2010-01-13 9:35 PM

40-45 degrees and light to no wind. That is my cutoff. When you have as many 100 degree days as we had in Texas last year 60 degrees feels cold. I don't even own any running pants. Only a few more weeks and it will be spring again for us..lol. 

2010-01-14 4:29 AM
in reply to: #2612937

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Swimfreak17 - 2010-01-14 3:12 AM Ok I am now the proud owner of a dusty, prolly way too heavy, but hardly used mountain bike.  I know, not ideal but hey it was only 40 bucks and it was the right size for me.  It was sitting in a neighbor's garage and they were happy to get rid of it cheap.  I figure I can at least start riding and my husband promises that if in 6 months, I have stuck with this, I can buy something else (prolly still not an expensive road/tri bike but something a little better). 

So wish me luck, its getting cleaned up and lubed/oiled (?) by the hubby and tomorrow I will try it out for longer than 2 minutes like tonite.  Now off to search for a helmet.

Ronda

Well done for you on the bike front. I hope it goes well for you. And just think, if you build up your strength on a not ideal bike - just think how easy a better bike will feel in 6 months.
2010-01-14 4:31 AM
in reply to: #2612979

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
zannard - 2010-01-14 3:35 AM 40-45 degrees and light to no wind. That is my cutoff. When you have as many 100 degree days as we had in Texas last year 60 degrees feels cold. I don't even own any running pants. Only a few more weeks and it will be spring again for us..lol. 

Yeah, I knew I was a wuss on the weather front. I should really live in spain I think1 However, put me down for first run of the year (but prop mainly walking) on treadmill in gym friday morning. My boyfriend wants to get fit too so together..we might just make it.Sealed
2010-01-14 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2613121

User image

Rhonda - that is great news on the bike.  Dust it off, check the tires, and add a little lube and you are set!  I am so happy that it all worked out.

Zannard - you stink.  ;-)  I keep saying to my husband that we need to move some place warmer but then he reminds me that I moved to Georgia because it was some place warmer.  I am ready for spring!

Jennifer - yay for your first treadmill run!!  That is wonderful!  And having a workout partner is great.  You will be able to motivate each other!
2010-01-14 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Oh come on people, the running pants don't even come into consideration until it's at least below freezing .

Ronda - that's great about the bike! Like Becky said, just polish it up, make sure the brakes work, and get to it.

Jennifer - let's see that treadmill work tomorrow! Having a partner with similar goals can make a huge difference too.

2010-01-14 7:33 PM

Jennifer, Becky, Rob- Thanks, I am counting down...6 months and I get to buy something!  However, I, uh, tried to ride today and let's just say I haven't been on a bike for about 20 yrs and I only managed to go a little over a mile Embarassed and I thought my legs were going to fall off.  Apparently I will need to start riding alot so I can remember how to ride a bike again.  My brother and I were planning a trip down to the beach on the bikes, I might need to take a rain check on that for a few weeks.  My poor husband tried to explain the gears to me and all I could tell him was to put the dang thing in whatever gear took the least effort today. 

At least I'm a good swimmer.  One out of three isn't bad.  At least that's what I'm telling myself. Cool

Ronda

2010-01-14 11:12 PM

Anybody ever participate in a Mud Run?  I just got asked tonite to do one with my sis in law in April.  A 5k mud run with obstacles?!!  Cargo nets and wall climbs??  I don't know how to climb a wall.  Guess I better start practicing that too.

This was not quite the way I envisioned my first 5k.  Mud.  Can you even run in mud?
Ronda
2010-01-15 4:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Ronda,
 A mud run sounds like a lot of hard work. Best of luck to you - and the bike will get easier.

And yeah, i have made it to gym (boyfriend managed to get up but had more important things to do than come with me - never mind). Watch out Alistair  Brownlee ha ha ha.
j
2010-01-15 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Jennifer - hooray on getting to the gym, even without support today!

Ronda - that sounds about right for the first time back on a bike in years. You know that old saying, "it's as easy as riding a bike?" Well, it turns out that that saying is highly misinformed .  They say you have to "earn your seat", so keep at it and push through the initial discomfort, and it will get easier.

I've never done a specific mud run, but I've don long trail races (anywhere from 6 to 20 miles), some of which had many miles of nasty, mucky, suck-your-shoe-right-off-your-foot kinds of mud.  Wear an old pair of running shoes, and get ready to laugh.  You will fall, slip, slide, and end up needing to be hosed off before you get back into your vehicle, but it can be fun.  Unlike some road races, where there is a lot of intensity from start to finish, a mud run cannot be taken too seriously, and you just take it piece by piece and get it done.

On a related note - doing trail runs, especially on rough or mucky terrain, is a great way to change up the running routine, and is great for strengthening a lot of the stabilizer muscles that we don't use in day to day road or treadmill running.  Plus, running through the woods and the whole being out in nature thing can be kind of cool, too .

2010-01-15 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Trail running sounds suspiciously like cross country running which we were forced to do at school and I hated.  I was completely useless, always one pace in front of the smokers, and it was always cold and wet. yuck.
Surprised
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Maine Rob's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 8